Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

2 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

I am curious if anyone has read the book. I know there are like ~26 translated chapters on novel update but I think they are mostly about her childhood. 

If you read the book, I am curious about the ending. I don't mind spoilers. 

Hide contents

I read somewhere that in the book Minglan does end up "taking revenge" but it is bc they force her by hurting her grandmother. So she has no choice but to hurt them back to save her grandmother from pretty much being killed. But besides that she really has no interest in payback and she just wants to get by and survive. It seemed like this was going to be a major change from book to drama since in the drama there is no transmigration so she would probably care a lot more about her mother, etc. 

I have kind of read a major part of the book. But it was read in batches over a period of 8-10 months. So I remember some things but not everything.

The english translation was left off quite early on. Just after Minglan met Qi Heng and his family, I think. She has started taking classes with her siblings but since she was still little she got bored during class and liked to nod off. There was a seat in the class that got a lot of sunlight and no none liked to sit there. Only Minglan liked sitting there coz Qi Heng sat in front of her and since he's tall his back hid her from the sight of the teacher when she's dozing off. I think QH started liking her from here. When Minglan and her sisters meets QH's family....his mom specifically asks who is the sixth miss amongst them coz she has heard so much about her from QH.

Some more spoilers if you like.....

Spoiler

most of the middle part of the book is about Minglan and her grandma traveling to their relatives/friends house some place far. The daughter of the house broke off the engagement with GTY after his mistress came with her kid crying to their house. Minglan knew the whole story from her cousin. So when GTY found out her family knew his ex-fiancee family...he asked her about it and she told him some things but avoided the truth. GTY started noticing her a little from there.....coz she was very different from other girls her age. He had stopped her way while she was alone and unaccompanied...not done in those times....but she stayed calm and answered him rationally.

Funny thing I remember after she answered and left his sight she started running like crazy to get away from him...scared someone might have seen them.

Sequence of the events may not be how I remember though....I think by this time Minglan was in her early teens.

She told him the truth about the reason for the broken engagement when he saved her life.....she and her maids had been kidnapped by traffickers, I think....she tried to convince them to jump the ship to escape but most of them couldn't swim so she jumped alone when she saw another ship coming near them...she swam over to ask for help and saw GTY dressed like an outlaw with a face full of hair. She surprised the hell out of him and his men when she ran towards him and called him second uncle....thats what she used to call him... :o

I think it was from here GTY started to notice that Minglan actually keeps her real self hidden under tight control. After this he started noticing her way of doing things. 

By the time she got engaged to her distant cousin GTY knew he wanted to marry her. But he also knew no one would consent if he went and asked directly...and his family would be against too, as she's a concubine's daughter. Even if her father would...her grandmother will never agree to giving her beloved granddaughter to a man who along with a very colorful past had an illegitimate son and a daughter and their mother to face for the rest of her life. So he planned this huge elaborate scheme to get her.

He got Minglan's fiance's childhood sweetheart to start communicating with the fiance again and convinced her to confess her feelings. Now this dumbas s fiance instead of rejecting her kept meeting her and made the situation so that the girl asked to be his concubine. Minglan broke off with him after this. While this all was going on GTY was activating part 2 of the plan. He sent a proposal for RouLan, and her ambitious father had accepted readily. But Roulan was horrified and was desperately seeking a way out. If I remember correctly think Roulan had actually fallen for a poor scholar already and had been secretly meeting him. GTY 'accidentally' found out about her secret and to keep both families reputation he 'grudgingly' suggested marrying the next daughter in line....i.e Minglan.....so devious...this man, right? 

It took a lot...and I mean A LOT of convincing to get the consent of the both grandmother and the granddaughter. He asked to talk with Minglan alone and told her she would be free to live her life without any fear or restriction. Minglan realized he's seen through to her true self . That was the first time she got angry and cried. And that was the first time Minglan spoke her true mind in front of anyone. Revealing a bit of why she lives a life hiding all her real feelings.

After they get married they only fought once, that I remember...... and it was because of this.

They had both gone to some celebration of QH's twins...100 days I think.....there Minglan is told by QH's jealous wife what QH named his kids...both kids has Ming in their name or something. So Minglan got mad thinking QH is carrying a torch for her still and was behaving disrespectfully to her.  When she was leaving she met QH and she scolded him asking what name did you give your kids....did you have nothing else...something like that. She didn't stop and just walked on and came upon GTY who seemed to have overheard everything. After coming back home she realized GTY was really upset with her...she thought it was because he saw her talking to QH....btw....GTY knew about QH being crazy about her before. But when she clarified..he told her the reason he was upset was because of the way she openly expressed her anger, when she scolded QH. She must feel comfortable enough to do that with him. He told her he realized in that moment that since they got married she had never once got mad at him, scolded him, disagreed with him or went against him, even once.

He said he had promised her she could live freely with him but she still holds everything back from him. Does she even really like him??

Minglan can't defend herself and for the first time after their marriage he goes and sleeps in his study. This separation lasts for quite a while. Enough that some people started getting ideas to take advantage of this marital disharmony. 

They have a son by this time...and GTY is very attached to him and can't sleep alone so whenever he comes home at night he picks up his sleeping son and takes him to sleep with him in his study. And puts him back in bed with Minglan when he leaves in the early morning..... waking her up every time.

She didn't try to defend herself or explain herself...coz she didn't think she was wrong in keeping herself safe like this....she just went about taking care of him like always....which seemed to make him more upset.

I'll post more spoilers if I remember any. If you guys are worried there won't be much kissing or skinship....don't be....In the book GTY loved having his hands on her....I remember he liked to touch her pregnant belly a lot. Though I'm not sure if they changed this for the drama. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, dito said:

I have kind of read a major part of the book. But it was read in batches over a period of 8-10 months. So I remember some things but not everything.

The english translation was left off quite early on. Just after Minglan met Qi Heng and his family, I think. She has started taking classes with her siblings but since she was still little she got bored during class and liked to nod off. There was a seat in the class that got a lot of sunlight and no none liked to sit there. Only Minglan liked sitting there coz Qi Heng sat in front of her and since he's tall his back hid her from the sight of the teacher when she's dozing off. I think QH started liking her from here. When Minglan and her sisters meets QH's family....his mom specifically asks who is the sixth miss amongst them coz she has heard so much about her from QH.

Reveal hidden contents

most of the middle part of the book is about Minglan and her grandma traveling to their relatives/friends house some place far. The daughter of the house broke off the engagement with GTY after his mistress came with her kid crying to their house. Minglan knew the whole story from her cousin. So when GTY found out her family knew his ex-fiancee family...he asked her about it and she told him some things but avoided the truth. GTY started noticing her a little from there.....coz she was very different from other girls her age. He had stopped her way while she was alone and unaccompanied...not done in those times....but she stayed calm and answered him rationally.

Funny thing I remember after she answered and left his sight she started running like crazy to get away from him...scared someone might have seen them.

Sequence of the events may not be how I remember though....I think by this time Minglan was in her early teens.

She told him the truth about the reason for the broken engagement when he saved her life.....she and her maids had been kidnapped by traffickers, I think....she tried to convince them to jump the ship to escape but most of them couldn't swim so she jumped alone when she saw another ship coming near them...she swam over to ask for help and saw GTY dressed like an outlaw with a face full of hair. She surprised the hell out of him and his men when she ran towards him and called him second uncle....thats what she used to call him... :o

I think it was from here GTY started to notice that Minglan actually keeps her real self hidden under tight control. After this he started noticing her way of doing things. 

By the time she got engaged to her distant cousin GTY knew he wanted to marry her. But he also knew no one would consent if he went and asked directly...and his family would be against too, as she's a concubine's daughter. Even if her father would...her grandmother will never agree to giving her beloved granddaughter to a man who along with a very colorful past had an illegitimate son and a daughter and their mother to face for the rest of her life. So he planned this huge elaborate scheme to get her.

He got Minglan's fiance's childhood sweetheart to start communicating with the fiance again and convinced her to confess her feelings. Now this dumbas s fiance instead of rejecting her kept meeting her and made the situation so that the girl asked to be his concubine. Minglan broke off with him after this. While this all was going on GTY was activating part 2 of the plan. He sent a proposal for RouLan, and her ambitious father had accepted readily. But Roulan was horrified and was desperately seeking a way out. If I remember correctly think Roulan had actually fallen for a poor scholar already and had been secretly meeting him. GTY 'accidentally' found out about her secret and to keep both families reputation he 'grudgingly' suggested marrying the next daughter in line....i.e Minglan.....so devious...this man, right? 

It took a lot...and I mean A LOT of convincing to get the consent of the both grandmother and the granddaughter. He asked to talk with Minglan alone and told her she would be free to live her life without any fear or restriction. Minglan realized he's seen through to her true self . That was the first time she got angry and cried. And that was the first time Minglan spoke her true mind in front of anyone. Revealing a bit of why she lives a life hiding all her real feelings.

After they get married they only fought once, that I remember...... and it was because of this.

They had both gone to some celebration of QH's twins...100 days I think.....there Minglan is told by QH's jealous wife what QH named his kids...both kids has Ming in their name or something. So Minglan got mad thinking QH is carrying a torch for her still and was behaving disrespectfully to her.  When she was leaving she met QH and she scolded him asking what name did you give your kids....did you have nothing else...something like that. She didn't stop and just walked on and came upon GTY who seemed to have overheard everything. After coming back home she realized GTY was really upset with her...she thought it was because he saw her talking to QH....btw....GTY knew about QH being crazy about her before. But when she clarified..he told her the reason he was upset was because of the way she openly expressed her anger, when she scolded QH. She must feel comfortable enough to do that with him. He told her he realized in that moment that since they got married she had never once got mad at him, scolded him, disagreed with him or went against him, even once.

He said he had promised her she could live freely with him but she still holds everything back from him. Does she even really like him??

Minglan can't defend herself and for the first time after their marriage he goes and sleeps in his study. This separation lasts for quite a while. Enough that some people started getting ideas to take advantage of this marital disharmony. 

They have a son by this time...and GTY is very attached to him and can't sleep alone so whenever he comes home at night he picks up his sleeping son and takes him to sleep with him in his study. And puts him back in bed with Minglan when he leaves in the early morning..... waking her up every time.

She didn't try to defend herself or explain herself...coz she didn't think she was wrong in keeping herself safe like this....she just went about taking care of him like always....which seemed to make him more upset.

I'll post more spoilers if I remember any. If you guys are worried there won't be much kissing or skinship....don't be....In the book GTY loved having his hands on her....I remember he liked to touch her pregnant belly a lot. Though I'm not sure if they changed this for the drama. 

Thanks @dito, i started reading the novel but google translation was 'killing' it for me :(. I believe those exact part will be showing in the drama..so anticipating it now!!, please tell us more :blush:..thanks again.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, dito said:

Hide contents

@dito

You are a good story telling.. and you turn the story into romance :yum:

• Like 4

15 hours ago, dito said:

If you guys are worried there won't be much kissing or skinship....don't be....In the book GTY loved having his hands on her....I remember he liked to touch her pregnant belly a lot. Though I'm not sure if they changed this for the drama. 

Now, can anyone who has read NIF novel, can tell me.. are there kissing in the novel? 

Just curious bcoz NIF 1&2 don't have kissing scene!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dr4malala said:

Now, can anyone who has read NIF novel, can tell me.. are there kissing in the novel? 

Just curious bcoz NIF 1&2 don't have kissing scene!

I don't know if you know this but....

Spoiler

NIF was originally a bl novel. Not explicit or anything just hinting. The love between MCS and Jing Wang was all emotional and loyal in nature not romantic and never verbalized. Though there were few scenes where Jing Rui discussed his feelings for MCS with YuJin and YuJin realized Jing Rui loved MCS and was possessive of him. But for me the best of all was Fei Liu's love for MCS. He looked at MCS as a father and protector and MCS loved Fei Liu as a son and little brother. This relationship is what I was eager to see most on screen. But I was disappointed that they cut out all the closeness and skinship between them. Like fei Liu's favorite place to lie down was MCS's lap, his head on his knee was his usual place to sit. Whenever MCS got sick FL slept with him and stayed up all night to watch over him. When MCS had his coughing fits Fei Liu rubbed his back or chest to calm him down......I really missed all these little touches that showed how FL cared for MCS. 

About Story of Minglan...I'm afraid what I wrote was all a jumbled up version. I don't remember the sequence of events and I also skipped a lot to get to ML and GTY scenes...thats why I remember quite a few of those.

• Like 2

If you haven’t already heard, fan of the couple can celebrate, Zanilla and FSF just announced their marriage on weibo 

• Like 4

The story of minglan wishes zhao li ying and feng shao feng on their marriage  and also shared the pics of Minglan on zly's birthday

HdC0HuZ.jpg

KTU4j7l.jpg

• Like 2

It is not easy for a person to find a person who loves one's life, so cherish it!

FSF :heart: ZLY... Hope happiness always around you two! Have a blissful marriage!!

Wish you two also harvest a long-lasting love :kiss_wink:

0062pJlRly1fw9zy4dmg3j32qj3ndkjl.jpg

a801956bly1fwa1m043jej20u00u0qc1.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/14/2018 at 3:14 AM, galea said:

I am slightly curious about this drama, but now that I know Hunan's involved again, I'm not sure if I can put myself through another drama going through abominable cuts! The cinematography looks so noice as well T_T...

There's probably going to be a DVD version online as well. The Disguiser did. I haven't followed any of ZLY's dramas but most of her dramas air on Hunan and they all have really good ratings, so it's not surprising they bought it.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:52 AM, dito said:

I don't know if you know this but....

Reveal hidden contents

NIF was originally a bl novel. Not explicit or anything just hinting. The love between MCS and Jing Wang was all emotional and loyal in nature not romantic and never verbalized. Though there were few scenes where Jing Rui discussed his feelings for MCS with YuJin and YuJin realized Jing Rui loved MCS and was possessive of him. But for me the best of all was Fei Liu's love for MCS. He looked at MCS as a father and protector and MCS loved Fei Liu as a son and little brother. This relationship is what I was eager to see most on screen. But I was disappointed that they cut out all the closeness and skinship between them. Like fei Liu's favorite place to lie down was MCS's lap, his head on his knee was his usual place to sit. Whenever MCS got sick FL slept with him and stayed up all night to watch over him. When MCS had his coughing fits Fei Liu rubbed his back or chest to calm him down......I really missed all these little touches that showed how FL cared for MCS. 

That was the initial draft, I think it was incomplete too, then she deleted it off jjwxc and posted it onto qidian where technically MCS had a fiance but he basically gets no romance. The dramas don't have kisses because the team is bad with romance LOL, they do their best when it's reserved romance. LMIYD have them I guess but it ended up being fairly awkward and the script was messy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skibbies said:

There's probably going to be a DVD version online as well. The Disguiser did. I haven't followed any of ZLY's dramas but most of her dramas air on Hunan and they all have really good ratings, so it's not surprising they bought it.

That was the initial draft, I think it was incomplete too, then she deleted it off jjwxc and posted it onto qidian where technically MCS had a fiance but he basically gets no romance. The dramas don't have kisses because the team is bad with romance LOL, they do their best when it's reserved romance. LMIYD have them I guess but it ended up being fairly awkward and the script was messy.

But hunan doesn't play nice and reward the viewers for all the good ratings. Both of ZLYs last dramas on hunan got a lot of backlash from upset fans for the way they ended those dramas without proper endings.

I did my share of cursing during PA....that's why my only hope now lies with Daylight.

Yes I read only the NIF first draft was bl. But you can see it's remanent elements still in the story. And yes this production does the reserved slow burn romance very nicely. But that mostly didn't work in the modern dramas...LMIYD was a very good book....but the changes they did for drama by toning down the psychotic stuff made it lame. I also thought the female lead cast was not right for the role....even Wallace didn't give up to the character....he still felt Wallace by the end. Pity, coz I really liked him in the initial episodes.

1 hour ago, dito said:

But hunan doesn't play nice and reward the viewers for all the good ratings. Both of ZLYs last dramas on hunan got a lot of backlash from upset fans for the way they ended those dramas without proper endings.

I did my share of cursing during PA....that's why my only hope now lies with Daylight.

Yes I read only the NIF first draft was bl. But you can see it's remanent elements still in the story. And yes this production does the reserved slow burn romance very nicely. But that mostly didn't work in the modern dramas...LMIYD was a very good book....but the changes they did for drama by toning down the psychotic stuff made it lame. I also thought the female lead cast was not right for the role....even Wallace didn't give up to the character....he still felt Wallace by the end. Pity, coz I really liked him in the initial episodes.

I've never actually watched Journey of Flower or Princess Agents (it was them that aired on Hunan right?) but for the latter one at least, I think the non ending was just how they filmed the drama? That's a production company issue, and not really Hunan TV's fault. idk what's up with JoF, I just know they edit the drama pretty arbitrarily so the drama was "extended" which is y i k e s. They are less annoying if you don't get their primetime slot, but considering this is ZLY drama, it's probably going to be. Daylight can't really control how Hunan TV edits their show, because it's influenced by how long CCTV news is before the primetime slot.

The director did a pretty good job with when the snail falls in love I think? Considering it's from the same author as LMIYD (different scriptwriter though), Snail's style worked better for them I think? Even if I'm ambivalent towards that romance (I didn't love it, but it's fine. I liked the OTP relationship more in Ode to Joy), but I loved everything else. Toning down the darker things make sense for drama, since it's for general audience, I actually liked the beginning of the drama, it had flaws and I didn't fall for the otp or care too much about their characters, but the plot was pretty good! AND THEN somewhere around 4th? case, it started tumbling, way faster than I ever saw any other drama. It super clumsily wrapped up for s1 and hinted for s2. Didn't watch Ode to Joy 2 because I'm rather mixed about the characterisations in 1 and didn't feel like I need to see s2.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, skibbies said:

I've never actually watched Journey of Flower or Princess Agents (it was them that aired on Hunan right?) but for the latter one at least, I think the non ending was just how they filmed the drama? That's a production company issue, and not really Hunan TV's fault. idk what's up with JoF, I just know they edit the drama pretty arbitrarily so the drama was "extended" which is y i k e s. They are less annoying if you don't get their primetime slot, but considering this is ZLY drama, it's probably going to be. Daylight can't really control how Hunan TV edits their show, because it's influenced by how long CCTV news is before the primetime slot.

The director did a pretty good job with when the snail falls in love I think? Considering it's from the same author as LMIYD (different scriptwriter though), Snail's style worked better for them I think? Even if I'm ambivalent towards that romance (I didn't love it, but it's fine. I liked the OTP relationship more in Ode to Joy), but I loved everything else. Toning down the darker things make sense for drama, since it's for general audience, I actually liked the beginning of the drama, it had flaws and I didn't fall for the otp or care too much about their characters, but the plot was pretty good! AND THEN somewhere around 4th? case, it started tumbling, way faster than I ever saw any other drama. It super clumsily wrapped up for s1 and hinted for s2. Didn't watch Ode to Joy 2 because I'm rather mixed about the characterisations in 1 and didn't feel like I need to see s2.

Yes JoF and PA.

Spoiler

I have no idea about what went wrong with JOF....I know just what I read during PA. And PA is all hunan mess too. The production did film the happy ending....at least many chinese fan analysis on their forums alluded to it. They had pics from MVs, trailers, bts...all proving the ending was filmed and it was supposedly a better one....not a HEA but hinting that the male lead survived and got together with the female lead after the death scene. The scene they filmed was from the book and after that scene the main leads reunite....thats where the drama was supposed to end. In the book though, after the reunion, they go their separate ways again to fight their individual wars. That was what Hunan wanted to make into second season.....when they had no plans to make it before. It was all the crazy popularity that made them change their minds.

I actually wanted to like When snail falls in love....coz the female lead was very interesting in that and different from usual....but don't know why I didn't like the casting choice in that one too. Yes dramas do tone down things and they have to otherwise it won't pass the itchy scissor fingers of SARFT, but the changes then affected the characters. Like the female lead of LMIYD was supposed to be very smart but they kind of dumbed her down....same with the female lead in When snail falls in love....

First time Ji Bai and XuXu meet in the drama....he just has to prove her wrong....why?? When in fact she was proven to be right in the book. Also Ji Bai was very intrigued by her in the book and was actually getting a bit impressed with her before he even met her. In the book she already understood that she doesn't know everything. In the show she has to be proved wrong a few times to understand that. This change bothered me a lot.....it really affected my liking for her character....and his. There is no need to show your male lead is smart by putting down your female lead. 

The reason I say I have hope with Daylight for Minglan is coz I read somewhere....Daylight are very particular about their dramas and the way they are cut.....also seem to remember reading after NIF that the production house had a lot of issues with hunan. If they are working with them again then Daylight must have got them to accept their terms.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dito said:

Yes JoF and PA.

Hide contents

I have no idea about what went wrong with JOF....I know just what I read during PA. And PA is all hunan mess too. The production did film the happy ending....at least many chinese fan analysis on their forums alluded to it. They had pics from MVs, trailers, bts...all proving the ending was filmed and it was supposedly a better one....not a HEA but hinting that the male lead survived and got together with the female lead after the death scene The scene they filmed was from the book and after that scene the main leads reunite....thats where the drama was supposed to end. In the book though, after the reunion, they go their separate ways again to fight their individual wars. That was what Hunan wanted to make into second season.....when they had no plans to make it before. It was all the crazy popularity that made them change their minds.

I actually wanted to like When snail falls in love....coz the female lead was very interesting in that and different from usual....but don't know why I didn't like the casting choice in that one too. Yes dramas do tone down things and they have to otherwise it won't pass the itchy scissor fingers of SARFT, but the changes then affected the characters. Like the female lead of LMIYD was supposed to be very smart but they kind of dumbed her down....same with the female lead in When snail falls in love....

First time Ji Bai and XuXu meet....he just has to prove her wrong....why?? When in fact she was proven to be right in the book. Also Ji Bai was very intrigued by her in the book and was actually getting a bit impressed with her before he even met her. In the book she already understood that she doesn't know everything. In the show she has to be proved wrong a few times to understand that. This change bothered me a lot.....it really affected my liking for her character....and his. There is no need to show your male lead is smart by putting down your female lead. 

The reason I say I have hope with Daylight for Minglan is coz I read somewhere....Daylight are very particular about their dramas and the way they are cut.....also seem to remember reading after NIF that the production house had a lot of issues with hunan. If they are working with them again then Daylight must have got them to accept their terms.

Spoiler

Mhmm Sounds like they just went for a sequel hook for popularity reason? That's not super unsual. I'm surprised it didn't make it into DVD version of it or something? 

I hink Olivia played it bit too cold, the awkward wasn't cute enough. I don't think she was dumbed down though, she's always been more...bad with anything that has to do with people so I think her characterisation was okay? I still haven't read the novel yet so that might be why.

I do think Daylight has issues with characterising female characters and their relationship. I love them a lot and will try every one of their dramas but hoo boy I am not happy with most of their drama's female characters! Both NiF's are pretty good but they aren't central focus, Surgeons is probably the only one I legitimately love for layered female characters that played major roles. Of course it's a cdramaland problem rather than just a them problem, it's just they do everything else pretty great.

It's why I was looking forward to tRoP, ahhhh. alas. we'll see about minglan!

I think it was the Disguiser that aired on Hunan, not NiF. I hope they can hold out against Hunan and the editing will be minimal. Darn, this will be fabulous time to air this drama with all the buzz.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, skibbies said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Mhmm Sounds like they just went for a sequel hook for popularity reason? That's not super unsual. I'm surprised it didn't make it into DVD version of it or something? 

I hink Olivia played it bit too cold, the awkward wasn't cute enough. I don't think she was dumbed down though, she's always been more...bad with anything that has to do with people so I think her characterisation was okay? I still haven't read the novel yet so that might be why.

I do think Daylight has issues with characterising female characters and their relationship. I love them a lot and will try every one of their dramas but hoo boy I am not happy with most of their drama's female characters! Both NiF's are pretty good but they aren't central focus, Surgeons is probably the only one I legitimately love for layered female characters that played major roles. Of course it's a cdramaland problem rather than just a them problem, it's just they do everything else pretty great.

It's why I was looking forward to tRoP, ahhhh. alas. we'll see about minglan!

I think it was the Disguiser that aired on Hunan, not NiF. I hope they can hold out against Hunan and the editing will be minimal. Darn, this will be fabulous time to air this drama with all the buzz.

Surgeons was daylight drama?... I didn't know that. And again my main issue in that too was the female lead...lol. The actress did a fine job actually...but the character was frustrating for me. Maybe the reason for that was I liked Jin Dong's character's calmness and steadiness so much that the female lead character felt too loud. And you're are right if I see these modern drama collectively.... c modern dramas do very poor job with strong and sensible female leads......then daylight also don't know how to pick actors with chemistry. I didn't see much between JinDong and Bai Bai He....Wang Kai-Wang Zi wen and others too. They got lucky with NIF....but in that too.... male actors had more chemistry with each other than female actors.:lol:

Disguiser aired after NIF, right? Then that must be it. Minglan is coming next year....Pity this was perfect time for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dito said:

Surgeons was daylight drama?... I didn't know that. And again my main issue in that too was the female lead...lol. The actress did a fine job actually...but the character was frustrating for me. Maybe the reason for that was I liked Jin Dong's character's calmness and steadiness so much that the female lead character felt too loud. And you're are right if I see these modern drama collectively.... c modern dramas do very poor job with strong and sensible female leads......then daylight also don't know how to pick actors with chemistry. I didn't see much between JinDong and Bai Bai He....Wang Kai-Wang Zi wen and others too. They got lucky with NIF....but in that too.... male actors had more chemistry with each other than female actors.:lol:

Disguiser aired after NIF, right? Then that must be it. Minglan is coming next year....Pity this was perfect time for it.

Yeah! The most notable indicator is probably multiple familiar supporting characters that appeared in their dramas before, some of them are signed with Daylight, some of them they just worked with before. The director directed the Disguiser and co-directed NiF and All is Quiet in Peking (with Kong Sheng). I actually found Jin Dong's character kind of boring, lol, he's the stoic expert that needs bit of softening, whereas Bai Bai He's character was assertive but too stubborn and over confident in her ability without realising that somethings she refuse to do is part of her job and would make her a better doctor. I can see why she'd be annoying though. I like the nurse lady too, she was great, competent and doesn't take richard simmons from her boyfriend!

I used to straight up not watch modern cdramas because they were mostly catered to (imo at the time) middle age people. Then later when they started catering to younger audience, there was a lot of old tropes and plot that's been better scripted and acted before. I still think they aren't great most of the time when they do romance focused modern cdrama since these days they drag it out, without stuffing it with actual plot (romantic or not), but ones that have romance as a side thing can be pretty good I think? Web dramas are significantly shorter, have more interesting/fun plot, and can be pretty great.

I liked Wang Kai and Wang Zi Wen in Ode to Joy though, they were fun and had chemistry there. It didn't quite work in When a Snail Falls in Love for some mystifying reason. I think Mei Chang Su had lot of chemistry with Ni Huang! But they do tend to focus on male character relationship more and they are far better at it, it frustrates me a lot. I watched Ode to Joy to see how they fare with female characters as center focus,  and it sort of worked, they were all deeply flawed characters and I was annoyed a lot but they were still pretty real and I still liked them at the end of the day. Too bad I didn't like half the romances!

Disguiser aired right before NiF lol, I think it was Sep-Oct drama and Nif was Oct-Nov drama? or something like that anyways. It was subbed after NiF though, because no one cared about spy story featuring these actors before.

• Like 1

2018 Cannes Autumn TV Festival (MIPCOM 2018)
MIPCOM Opening Reception on October 15th - China Night local time
(MIPCOM OPENING PARTY-CHINA NIGHT)
The event was highlighted and featured in the film.

44124466_2094506917247808_4597783488463144117039_2094506990581134_70895336202132

• Like 4

Congratulations and Blessings to the newlywed couple :wub:

At 10:07 on October 16th, 2018 Feng Shaofeng and Zhao Liying @冯绍峰 @赵丽颖 announced officially married.

44033776_2176885179234481_25845714831875

44118549_2094888677209632_63694889243388

Ming Lan and Gu Tingyu, tie the knot, blessing:D

43878785_2094833843881782_63748717767861

• Like 4