[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

On 10/14/2018 at 3:14 AM, galea said:

I am slightly curious about this drama, but now that I know Hunan's involved again, I'm not sure if I can put myself through another drama going through abominable cuts! The cinematography looks so noice as well T_T...

There's probably going to be a DVD version online as well. The Disguiser did. I haven't followed any of ZLY's dramas but most of her dramas air on Hunan and they all have really good ratings, so it's not surprising they bought it.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:52 AM, dito said:

I don't know if you know this but....

Reveal hidden contents

NIF was originally a bl novel. Not explicit or anything just hinting. The love between MCS and Jing Wang was all emotional and loyal in nature not romantic and never verbalized. Though there were few scenes where Jing Rui discussed his feelings for MCS with YuJin and YuJin realized Jing Rui loved MCS and was possessive of him. But for me the best of all was Fei Liu's love for MCS. He looked at MCS as a father and protector and MCS loved Fei Liu as a son and little brother. This relationship is what I was eager to see most on screen. But I was disappointed that they cut out all the closeness and skinship between them. Like fei Liu's favorite place to lie down was MCS's lap, his head on his knee was his usual place to sit. Whenever MCS got sick FL slept with him and stayed up all night to watch over him. When MCS had his coughing fits Fei Liu rubbed his back or chest to calm him down......I really missed all these little touches that showed how FL cared for MCS. 

That was the initial draft, I think it was incomplete too, then she deleted it off jjwxc and posted it onto qidian where technically MCS had a fiance but he basically gets no romance. The dramas don't have kisses because the team is bad with romance LOL, they do their best when it's reserved romance. LMIYD have them I guess but it ended up being fairly awkward and the script was messy.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, skibbies said:

There's probably going to be a DVD version online as well. The Disguiser did. I haven't followed any of ZLY's dramas but most of her dramas air on Hunan and they all have really good ratings, so it's not surprising they bought it.

That was the initial draft, I think it was incomplete too, then she deleted it off jjwxc and posted it onto qidian where technically MCS had a fiance but he basically gets no romance. The dramas don't have kisses because the team is bad with romance LOL, they do their best when it's reserved romance. LMIYD have them I guess but it ended up being fairly awkward and the script was messy.

But hunan doesn't play nice and reward the viewers for all the good ratings. Both of ZLYs last dramas on hunan got a lot of backlash from upset fans for the way they ended those dramas without proper endings.

I did my share of cursing during PA....that's why my only hope now lies with Daylight.

Yes I read only the NIF first draft was bl. But you can see it's remanent elements still in the story. And yes this production does the reserved slow burn romance very nicely. But that mostly didn't work in the modern dramas...LMIYD was a very good book....but the changes they did for drama by toning down the psychotic stuff made it lame. I also thought the female lead cast was not right for the role....even Wallace didn't give up to the character....he still felt Wallace by the end. Pity, coz I really liked him in the initial episodes.

1 hour ago, dito said:

But hunan doesn't play nice and reward the viewers for all the good ratings. Both of ZLYs last dramas on hunan got a lot of backlash from upset fans for the way they ended those dramas without proper endings.

I did my share of cursing during PA....that's why my only hope now lies with Daylight.

Yes I read only the NIF first draft was bl. But you can see it's remanent elements still in the story. And yes this production does the reserved slow burn romance very nicely. But that mostly didn't work in the modern dramas...LMIYD was a very good book....but the changes they did for drama by toning down the psychotic stuff made it lame. I also thought the female lead cast was not right for the role....even Wallace didn't give up to the character....he still felt Wallace by the end. Pity, coz I really liked him in the initial episodes.

I've never actually watched Journey of Flower or Princess Agents (it was them that aired on Hunan right?) but for the latter one at least, I think the non ending was just how they filmed the drama? That's a production company issue, and not really Hunan TV's fault. idk what's up with JoF, I just know they edit the drama pretty arbitrarily so the drama was "extended" which is y i k e s. They are less annoying if you don't get their primetime slot, but considering this is ZLY drama, it's probably going to be. Daylight can't really control how Hunan TV edits their show, because it's influenced by how long CCTV news is before the primetime slot.

The director did a pretty good job with when the snail falls in love I think? Considering it's from the same author as LMIYD (different scriptwriter though), Snail's style worked better for them I think? Even if I'm ambivalent towards that romance (I didn't love it, but it's fine. I liked the OTP relationship more in Ode to Joy), but I loved everything else. Toning down the darker things make sense for drama, since it's for general audience, I actually liked the beginning of the drama, it had flaws and I didn't fall for the otp or care too much about their characters, but the plot was pretty good! AND THEN somewhere around 4th? case, it started tumbling, way faster than I ever saw any other drama. It super clumsily wrapped up for s1 and hinted for s2. Didn't watch Ode to Joy 2 because I'm rather mixed about the characterisations in 1 and didn't feel like I need to see s2.

54 minutes ago, skibbies said:

I've never actually watched Journey of Flower or Princess Agents (it was them that aired on Hunan right?) but for the latter one at least, I think the non ending was just how they filmed the drama? That's a production company issue, and not really Hunan TV's fault. idk what's up with JoF, I just know they edit the drama pretty arbitrarily so the drama was "extended" which is y i k e s. They are less annoying if you don't get their primetime slot, but considering this is ZLY drama, it's probably going to be. Daylight can't really control how Hunan TV edits their show, because it's influenced by how long CCTV news is before the primetime slot.

The director did a pretty good job with when the snail falls in love I think? Considering it's from the same author as LMIYD (different scriptwriter though), Snail's style worked better for them I think? Even if I'm ambivalent towards that romance (I didn't love it, but it's fine. I liked the OTP relationship more in Ode to Joy), but I loved everything else. Toning down the darker things make sense for drama, since it's for general audience, I actually liked the beginning of the drama, it had flaws and I didn't fall for the otp or care too much about their characters, but the plot was pretty good! AND THEN somewhere around 4th? case, it started tumbling, way faster than I ever saw any other drama. It super clumsily wrapped up for s1 and hinted for s2. Didn't watch Ode to Joy 2 because I'm rather mixed about the characterisations in 1 and didn't feel like I need to see s2.

Yes JoF and PA.

Spoiler

I have no idea about what went wrong with JOF....I know just what I read during PA. And PA is all hunan mess too. The production did film the happy ending....at least many chinese fan analysis on their forums alluded to it. They had pics from MVs, trailers, bts...all proving the ending was filmed and it was supposedly a better one....not a HEA but hinting that the male lead survived and got together with the female lead after the death scene. The scene they filmed was from the book and after that scene the main leads reunite....thats where the drama was supposed to end. In the book though, after the reunion, they go their separate ways again to fight their individual wars. That was what Hunan wanted to make into second season.....when they had no plans to make it before. It was all the crazy popularity that made them change their minds.

I actually wanted to like When snail falls in love....coz the female lead was very interesting in that and different from usual....but don't know why I didn't like the casting choice in that one too. Yes dramas do tone down things and they have to otherwise it won't pass the itchy scissor fingers of SARFT, but the changes then affected the characters. Like the female lead of LMIYD was supposed to be very smart but they kind of dumbed her down....same with the female lead in When snail falls in love....

First time Ji Bai and XuXu meet in the drama....he just has to prove her wrong....why?? When in fact she was proven to be right in the book. Also Ji Bai was very intrigued by her in the book and was actually getting a bit impressed with her before he even met her. In the book she already understood that she doesn't know everything. In the show she has to be proved wrong a few times to understand that. This change bothered me a lot.....it really affected my liking for her character....and his. There is no need to show your male lead is smart by putting down your female lead. 

The reason I say I have hope with Daylight for Minglan is coz I read somewhere....Daylight are very particular about their dramas and the way they are cut.....also seem to remember reading after NIF that the production house had a lot of issues with hunan. If they are working with them again then Daylight must have got them to accept their terms.

5 minutes ago, dito said:

Yes JoF and PA.

Hide contents

I have no idea about what went wrong with JOF....I know just what I read during PA. And PA is all hunan mess too. The production did film the happy ending....at least many chinese fan analysis on their forums alluded to it. They had pics from MVs, trailers, bts...all proving the ending was filmed and it was supposedly a better one....not a HEA but hinting that the male lead survived and got together with the female lead after the death scene The scene they filmed was from the book and after that scene the main leads reunite....thats where the drama was supposed to end. In the book though, after the reunion, they go their separate ways again to fight their individual wars. That was what Hunan wanted to make into second season.....when they had no plans to make it before. It was all the crazy popularity that made them change their minds.

I actually wanted to like When snail falls in love....coz the female lead was very interesting in that and different from usual....but don't know why I didn't like the casting choice in that one too. Yes dramas do tone down things and they have to otherwise it won't pass the itchy scissor fingers of SARFT, but the changes then affected the characters. Like the female lead of LMIYD was supposed to be very smart but they kind of dumbed her down....same with the female lead in When snail falls in love....

First time Ji Bai and XuXu meet....he just has to prove her wrong....why?? When in fact she was proven to be right in the book. Also Ji Bai was very intrigued by her in the book and was actually getting a bit impressed with her before he even met her. In the book she already understood that she doesn't know everything. In the show she has to be proved wrong a few times to understand that. This change bothered me a lot.....it really affected my liking for her character....and his. There is no need to show your male lead is smart by putting down your female lead. 

The reason I say I have hope with Daylight for Minglan is coz I read somewhere....Daylight are very particular about their dramas and the way they are cut.....also seem to remember reading after NIF that the production house had a lot of issues with hunan. If they are working with them again then Daylight must have got them to accept their terms.

Spoiler

Mhmm Sounds like they just went for a sequel hook for popularity reason? That's not super unsual. I'm surprised it didn't make it into DVD version of it or something? 

I hink Olivia played it bit too cold, the awkward wasn't cute enough. I don't think she was dumbed down though, she's always been more...bad with anything that has to do with people so I think her characterisation was okay? I still haven't read the novel yet so that might be why.

I do think Daylight has issues with characterising female characters and their relationship. I love them a lot and will try every one of their dramas but hoo boy I am not happy with most of their drama's female characters! Both NiF's are pretty good but they aren't central focus, Surgeons is probably the only one I legitimately love for layered female characters that played major roles. Of course it's a cdramaland problem rather than just a them problem, it's just they do everything else pretty great.

It's why I was looking forward to tRoP, ahhhh. alas. we'll see about minglan!

I think it was the Disguiser that aired on Hunan, not NiF. I hope they can hold out against Hunan and the editing will be minimal. Darn, this will be fabulous time to air this drama with all the buzz.

33 minutes ago, skibbies said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Mhmm Sounds like they just went for a sequel hook for popularity reason? That's not super unsual. I'm surprised it didn't make it into DVD version of it or something? 

I hink Olivia played it bit too cold, the awkward wasn't cute enough. I don't think she was dumbed down though, she's always been more...bad with anything that has to do with people so I think her characterisation was okay? I still haven't read the novel yet so that might be why.

I do think Daylight has issues with characterising female characters and their relationship. I love them a lot and will try every one of their dramas but hoo boy I am not happy with most of their drama's female characters! Both NiF's are pretty good but they aren't central focus, Surgeons is probably the only one I legitimately love for layered female characters that played major roles. Of course it's a cdramaland problem rather than just a them problem, it's just they do everything else pretty great.

It's why I was looking forward to tRoP, ahhhh. alas. we'll see about minglan!

I think it was the Disguiser that aired on Hunan, not NiF. I hope they can hold out against Hunan and the editing will be minimal. Darn, this will be fabulous time to air this drama with all the buzz.

Surgeons was daylight drama?... I didn't know that. And again my main issue in that too was the female lead...lol. The actress did a fine job actually...but the character was frustrating for me. Maybe the reason for that was I liked Jin Dong's character's calmness and steadiness so much that the female lead character felt too loud. And you're are right if I see these modern drama collectively.... c modern dramas do very poor job with strong and sensible female leads......then daylight also don't know how to pick actors with chemistry. I didn't see much between JinDong and Bai Bai He....Wang Kai-Wang Zi wen and others too. They got lucky with NIF....but in that too.... male actors had more chemistry with each other than female actors.:lol:

Disguiser aired after NIF, right? Then that must be it. Minglan is coming next year....Pity this was perfect time for it.

3 hours ago, dito said:

Surgeons was daylight drama?... I didn't know that. And again my main issue in that too was the female lead...lol. The actress did a fine job actually...but the character was frustrating for me. Maybe the reason for that was I liked Jin Dong's character's calmness and steadiness so much that the female lead character felt too loud. And you're are right if I see these modern drama collectively.... c modern dramas do very poor job with strong and sensible female leads......then daylight also don't know how to pick actors with chemistry. I didn't see much between JinDong and Bai Bai He....Wang Kai-Wang Zi wen and others too. They got lucky with NIF....but in that too.... male actors had more chemistry with each other than female actors.:lol:

Disguiser aired after NIF, right? Then that must be it. Minglan is coming next year....Pity this was perfect time for it.

Yeah! The most notable indicator is probably multiple familiar supporting characters that appeared in their dramas before, some of them are signed with Daylight, some of them they just worked with before. The director directed the Disguiser and co-directed NiF and All is Quiet in Peking (with Kong Sheng). I actually found Jin Dong's character kind of boring, lol, he's the stoic expert that needs bit of softening, whereas Bai Bai He's character was assertive but too stubborn and over confident in her ability without realising that somethings she refuse to do is part of her job and would make her a better doctor. I can see why she'd be annoying though. I like the nurse lady too, she was great, competent and doesn't take richard simmons from her boyfriend!

I used to straight up not watch modern cdramas because they were mostly catered to (imo at the time) middle age people. Then later when they started catering to younger audience, there was a lot of old tropes and plot that's been better scripted and acted before. I still think they aren't great most of the time when they do romance focused modern cdrama since these days they drag it out, without stuffing it with actual plot (romantic or not), but ones that have romance as a side thing can be pretty good I think? Web dramas are significantly shorter, have more interesting/fun plot, and can be pretty great.

I liked Wang Kai and Wang Zi Wen in Ode to Joy though, they were fun and had chemistry there. It didn't quite work in When a Snail Falls in Love for some mystifying reason. I think Mei Chang Su had lot of chemistry with Ni Huang! But they do tend to focus on male character relationship more and they are far better at it, it frustrates me a lot. I watched Ode to Joy to see how they fare with female characters as center focus,  and it sort of worked, they were all deeply flawed characters and I was annoyed a lot but they were still pretty real and I still liked them at the end of the day. Too bad I didn't like half the romances!

Disguiser aired right before NiF lol, I think it was Sep-Oct drama and Nif was Oct-Nov drama? or something like that anyways. It was subbed after NiF though, because no one cared about spy story featuring these actors before.

Like someone said Daylight is really picky on their editing. If you look at their productions you will see they put a lot of effort into their cinematography so it makes sense that they dont want others messing with their work. For this reason, Daylight is known to not negotiate with Hunan since Hunan was pretty bad rep when it comes to editing the drama as it airs. That is why I was so surprised that Daylight decided to sell their drama to Hunan. This means that Hunan probably paid A LOT and that they agree to some contractual stuff such as not editing their dramas. 

Congrats to FSF and ZLY!!! 

3 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

Like someone said Daylight is really picky on their editing. If you look at their productions you will see they put a lot of effort into their cinematography so it makes sense that they dont want others messing with their work. For this reason, Daylight is known to not negotiate with Hunan since Hunan was pretty bad rep when it comes to editing the drama as it airs. That is why I was so surprised that Daylight decided to sell their drama to Hunan. This means that Hunan probably paid A LOT and that they agree to some contractual stuff such as not editing their dramas. 

Congrats to FSF and ZLY!!! 

Even if the production company is really picky, once its sold to a tv station its up to the tv station to decide on their own edits.  A different version with less cuts may become available online but the production company has little say on how the tv station will edit their aired version.  Its also not Daylight deciding to sell to Hunan, its Hunan deciding to buy from Daylight.  With the quota and stiff competition nowadays its difficult to land a spot on tv. 

I prefer dramas that air on Hunan because their cuts tend to have a lot less filler scenes. 

1 hour ago, leah8 said:

Even if the production company is really picky, once its sold to a tv station its up to the tv station to decide on their own edits.  A different version with less cuts may become available online but the production company has little say on how the tv station will edit their aired version.  Its also not Daylight deciding to sell to Hunan, its Hunan deciding to buy from Daylight.  With the quota and stiff competition nowadays its difficult to land a spot on tv. 

I prefer dramas that air on Hunan because their cuts tend to have a lot less filler scenes. 

really? My experience has been the opposite. But then again most of my experience is in their late time slot, maybe their prime time time slot is better. But Hunan does have a bad reputation regarding their editing of dramas. There is a long list of dramas they have butchered. 

I still think there are ways they can control the editing. Like the contract they sign. Production companies do retain some rights and even after they are sold if the TV station does not meet the agreed contract the production company can back out. I have seen it happen before.

It would be also pretty dumb of Hunan to richard simmons off Daylight bc they would just not sell to them again. And I do think Daylight picks who they sell too bc Hunan has tried to purchase some of their dramas in the past and they have refused. Now I think Hunan kind of went to bank for Minglan bc of Zhao Liying so it is possible they just out-bid everyone else and Daylight had no choice but sell to them after all they are running a business. 

@mrsyooknit sure they have the right to back out.  But usually once you sell the rights to a tv station it will be up to them how it’s edited.  Not happy?  then back out.  They control how many episodes it will be edited down to. If the production company really do have control over how it’s edited then it would defeat what you just said that a lot of the dramas that air on Hunan are butchered.  Why would any production company want their dramas “butchered” by Hunan if they had a signicant say in the editing process?  Why blame Hunan if the production company has can control the editing as you say?  You can’t blame Hunan for butchering dramas in the past then at the same time claim that production co can control the editing process.  A drama is presented to a tv station with x amount of epsodes and the tv station would ok it or send them back to editing.   The tv station can still edit the final copy.  They’ve pulled stuff on air before due to low ratings so logic would tell me Hunan holds the cards on the final editing process 

Hunan is a big tv station and with the quota for period dramas, they have a line up of period dramas to pick from.  How many dramas have they bought and dropped in the past because it didn’t meet their specs?  

I have faith this drama will turn out fine airing on Hunan.  

8 minutes ago, leah8 said:

@mrsyooknit sure they have the right to back out.  But usually once you sell the rights to a tv station it will be up to them how it’s edited.  Not happy?  then back out.  They control how many episodes it will be edited down to. If the production company really do have control over how it’s edited then it would defeat what you just said that a lot of the dramas that air on Hunan are butchered.  Why would any production company want their dramas “butchered” by Hunan if they had a signicant say in the editing process?  Why blame Hunan if the production company has can control the editing as you say?  You can’t blame Hunan for butchering dramas in the past then at the same time claim that production co can control the editing process.  A drama is presented to a tv station with x amount of epsodes and the tv station would ok it or send them back to editing.   The tv station can still edit the final copy.  They’ve pulled stuff on air before due to low ratings so logic would tell me Hunan holds the cards on the final editing process 

Hunan is a big tv station and with the quota for period dramas, they have a line up of period dramas to pick from.  How many dramas have they bought and dropped in the past because it didn’t meet their specs?  

I have faith this drama will turn out fine airing on Hunan.  

Bc the majority dont care. Look at Ciwen the production company behind Princess Agents and Journey of the Flower. They honestly dont care about quality fo their product just how much money they can make out of it. Very very few production companies are like Daylight that really care about a high quality product. It seems to me that Daylight is about quality over ratings or money. 

And the way that productions can control is simply to back out of airing the drama in that station. Which means that they will loose money and now need to look for another company willing to air it or go straight to online services. Not many production companies are willing to loose money just to preserve the quality of a drama. I believe Daylight is one of those few ones from everything I have seen from them, which is why they have such a good reputation. I haven't liked all their dramas tbh some just dont fit my taste for various reasons but it is nice to see a production company that puts so much effort into the quality of their dramas. 

Hunan have dropped a lot of dramas in the past and they are having a horrendous year. Many people think that their last hope this year is Minglan bc all their other dramas have done pretty bad. 

@mrsyooknit what other dramas have they produced? 

They had the hit earlier this year with Negotiators.   Negotiators still made it on top 10 ratings of the year.  All out of love aired prematurely to help the ratings and it was on the right track but moved to the 10pm slot to make way for the tribute drama only after a week of airing.The ratings have decreased a lot since moved to the 10pm slot but its still number one during it's time slot.  The Years You were Late dipped at one point to 0.16.  Hunan wouldnt hesistant to cut it if not for the simple fact its a tribute series so they have to let it finish airing.  Its picking up since Mother's Life ended but still losing to the competition that premiered last night. 

Minglan for sure wont air this year.  It will probably air in the second quarter 2019.  The drama thats been rumored to air soon is Cecelia and Tong Dawei's drama, If Love Like This.  

anyho I read at cdramabase that Entering a New Era with Lu Yi is airing on the 31st of October, its also a tribute drama.  Hunan will probably have another one right after that one that will take us into 2019. 

@leah8

The Negotiators and Old Boy managed to scrap by rating wise. They are not really considered hits. Hunan is having a bad year by their standards. They usually have much higher ratings that other networks. Just look at their ratings last year.

To be fair, it is a low ratings year overall but other networks are doing much better so it does feel like overall Hunan is having a bad year.

I dont keep track of Ciwen dramas bc they are a trash company. Only saw those two dramas and made me want to curse them forever. 

I doubt Hunan will not air a historical drama this year, they have like 40 historical prime time episodes left for the year and I dont see them just throwing that away. They have a few historical dramas in their arsenal that they could air if they decide against MingLan. 

Pros to airing Minglan right now FSF and ZLY wedding will get extra hype for it.

Cons another highly expected Daylight drama will air in December with Wang Kai. It feels to me like it would have the support of the government due to its story.

Another con is that OGT with ZLY will air in November and run into December so people could not be as excited to see ZLY again. 

For those two things, I could see Hunan pushing it back for a better time.

1 hour ago, mrsyooknit said:

@leah8

The Negotiators and Old Boy managed to scrap by rating wise. They are not really considered hits. Hunan is having a bad year by their standards. They usually have much higher ratings that other networks. Just look at their ratings last year.

To be fair, it is a low ratings year overall but other networks are doing much better so it does feel like overall Hunan is having a bad year.

I dont keep track of Ciwen dramas bc they are a trash company. Only saw those two dramas and made me want to curse them forever. 

I doubt Hunan will not air a historical drama this year, they have like 40 historical prime time episodes left for the year and I dont see them just throwing that away. They have a few historical dramas in their arsenal that they could air if they decide against MingLan. 

Pros to airing Minglan right now FSF and ZLY wedding will get extra hype for it.

Cons another highly expected Daylight drama will air in December with Wang Kai. It feels to me like it would have the support of the government due to its story.

Another con is that OGT with ZLY will air in November and run into December so people could not be as excited to see ZLY again. 

For those two things, I could see Hunan pushing it back for a better time.

They are considered hits, I've read countless articles that they were hits, as the drama was airing and after it ended.  Just because the English sites say otherwise or doesn't cover it doesn't mean it wasn't a hit.  The Negotiator's average rating was 1.19.  A lot of the hits this year came from CCTV. 

I did read that this drama might air after Lu Yi's tribute drama, take that with a grain of salt.  They do have 40 episodes left so its a possibility.  They played their cards wrong airing RIse of The Phoenix because they were betting on that to cover their quota. 

I asked about what other dramas Daylight produced not Ciwen. 

Archived