[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

9 hours ago, leeza77 said:

QH was never so emotional during his courtship with ML.What happened to proper ettiqute when greeting a married noble lady? QH has suddenly gone out of character.Is he lamenting loosing ML or is unable to accept that she chose someone over him and her married life has been not bad so far.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

By the which episode showed a nanny telling GTY’s Eldest brother that it was his stepmom’s fault that his mom died?? I assumed it was Little Mdm Qin who told him those lies. Smh smh smh I am really curious about that. 

It was in episode 8 when Momo tells GTY about his mom and we see the flashbacks.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

Even though QH is underhandedly trying to get back at GTY while doing his duties, I like the results it brought to the Gu family. Yuan Ruo wiped the Gu family name on the floorboards but unknowingly helped GTY get some payback on his deceitful family and unwittingly helped ML/GTY get closer. GTY confessed his forebodings and distrust of his family because of what they did and the lies they spat about his mother and ML who had the same experience about her mom could relate. That was a raw, honest and emotional confession and ML just had to hug GTY. More and more, she gets to know the man GTY is, intensely hurt, on the surface seemingly uncaring but on the inside is deeply sensitive, forthright and reliable. Slowly ML is getting to trust her feelings and instincts to freely love GTY. So, Yuan Ruo in this sense helped strengthen the ML/GTY relationship. 

On the other hand Yuan Ruo's duties might just lead him to the doorstep of the Sheng family. In th first episodes, Sheng Hong was detained at the palace by the late emperor because his 3rd son was partying with the noble sons who supported the wannabe heir Prince Yan and was mouthing off his support. Years later, Yuan Ruo became a minister and when he first reported at the Emperor's hall and was assigned the duty of investigating the supporters of the rebel Prince Yan, one of the ministers was about to say that Yuan Ruo almost married the daughter of the Shengs but was interrupted by the loud coughing of GTY. Which means that the ministers will expect him to also arrest the 3rd son of Sheng who is now the brother in law of the 6th son of Liang whose family is deemed to be one of the richest if not the richest of the families in the capital and depending on whom they are supporting, they might help or not help the 3rd son, or they might be standing on the side waiting to see who wins which means they will not support Sheng 3rd son. However, if Yuan Ruo does arrest Sheng 3rd son, ML is sure to help and so will GTY and if Yuan Ruo does not, he will be seen as wishy washy and laughed at in the capital. So either way, Yuan Ruo has set himself a (personally) difficult assignment especially that he still has feelings for ML and dislike for her husband GTY.

I can't remember the episode but it was much earlier when they were both very young 

Actually people are blaming QH but there's no proof that he's trying to get back at GTY. He suggested the emperor to investigate the rebellion, which was the right thing to do (whether or not QH has taken a side is questionable, maybe it's just his integrity, and it accidentally benefits the ED). He might have not known Gu family was a part of it. Even if he had known, was he supposed to drop the case to show that he is not holding a grudge? QH criticized GTY in court bc GTY was making an unreasonable request about his cousins on the case that QH was in charge of. After everything that happened, QH and GTY are not friends anymore and QH doesn't have to show a friendly face in front of GTY. QH is trying to climb the ladder and unlike generals who got their titles from the battlefields, officials tend to ascend very slowly unless they won a big case. The rebellion case is a chance for QH to step up his game. Loving ML or not, he doesn't have to back down just bc GTY suddenly decides to protect his relatives (which everybody knows he hates). GTY was arrogant to ask the emperor to let his cousins go and QH was right to criticize him. GTY was reckless, arrogant, disrespect the law and now people blame QH for holding a grudge? It's like, he's the lead so whatever he does, people should stay out of his way or they'll become detestable characters. (I'm not discussing what happens in the preview until it's official)

P/S: Having parties is not a crime so even if arrested, CF would still be okay. Gu family however was involved.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

5 minutes ago, selen4ever said:

It was in episode 8 when Momo tells GTY about his mom and we see the flashbacks.

In episode 8, we did not see the actual face of the person telling GTY’s brother about his mother’s death. @selen4ever... I will rewatch it to see if I see the face. Thank for the info

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sava2sava said:

@GoldenFlower  It don't take a genius to figure her out..  She needs GTY dead so her son could inherit it all being that he was GTY rightful heir.. If she really wanted to claim her spot she should have tried to stay humble and stop ML from getting pregant.. But MN knows ML isn't no fool and if she brought the son back she will eventually have to go..

Even if the son is living, currently, he is illegitimate and he cannot inherit GTY's title or properties. His name hasn't been recorded in ancestor record. Plus, what I said was if she isn't lying about the son's death and she wants to be his concubine. MN knows that there is no way she could enter GTY's house without the son (unless GTY willingly take her as concubine for other reasons like for daughter). So, if the son's already dead, the only other reason for her to kill him is someone is giving her money (actually, stepmom in lieu of Bai uncles) (or) she went crazy, hates GTY to guts and went to revenge the son's death.

Spoiler

Of course in today's episode, they are saying the son can become legitimate if GTY’s stepmom vouchs for him and annuls GTY's will (though they don't know the will is empty). They're saying Bai family will take GTY's inheritance from Bai's side, step-mom will take the title for third brother and MN will only get 1/10 (or 1/5) of properties. Even if that's true, MN is so stupid and short-sighted, to agree to them for only 1/5 of inheritance if the son is still alive. I guess she is thinking only for herself rather than for her son. She probably thinks that her son living as eldest shu son of extremely rich Hou Ye is not as good as herself getting 1/5 of inheritance. Of course, if the son is already dead then, she might not even get the money if there is someone's name on GTY's will. 

Stepmom's calculation vs ML's strategy...

Spoiler

From preview, since GTY got into trouble in imperial court and got reprimanded by emperor due to MN's bad-mouthing, for this round, step-mom outdone ML. Of course, ML’s priority has been finding the son and she might not have thought MN will go around and ill-speak of GTY. However, ML strategy got repercussions this time though they were able to trace MN. The preview showing ML testing the soil of the son’s grave, is he dead or not? Is MN bad-mouthing instigated by the stepmom or is she doing it herself out of spike? The previews are very cunning... :P :D :D 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

39 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

Actually people are blaming QH but there's no proof that he's trying to get back at GTY. He suggested the emperor to investigate the rebellion, which was the right thing to do (whether or not QH has taken a side is questionable, maybe it's just his integrity, and it accidentally benefits the ED). He might have not known Gu family was a part of it. Even if he had known, was he supposed to drop the case to show that he is not holding a grudge? QH criticized GTY in court bc GTY was making an unreasonable request about his cousins on the case that QH was in charge of. After everything that happened, QH and GTY are not friends anymore and QH doesn't have to show a friendly face in front of GTY. QH is trying to climb the ladder and unlike generals who got their titles from the battlefields, officials tend to ascend very slowly unless they won a big case. The rebellion case is a chance for QH to step up his game. Loving ML or not, he doesn't have to back down just bc GTY suddenly decides to protect his relatives (which everybody knows he hates). GTY was arrogant to ask the emperor to let his cousins go and QH was right to criticize him. GTY was reckless, arrogant, disrespect the law and now people blame QH for holding a grudge? It's like, he's the lead so whatever he does, people should stay out of his way or they'll become detestable characters. (I'm not discussing what happens in the preview until it's official)

I don't know all about what you state others are saying, I am commenting on someone's comment and what I think may happen and I have not seen the episode you are talking about. I think people are entitled to their own feelings as they see them and includes you and me. As for me, I can't comment on your comments because I have not seen the episode you are talking about but I respect your feelings about the characters. Hey, QH is not indebted to protect GTY, as he is obliged to his duties as the official conducting the investigation as GTY has no obligation and does not owe QH anything. Both characters are doing what they think they have to do whether to family or country. Whether viewers see them as right or wrong, I concur depends on their view. I may agree or not agree with everyone's views and that is what the forum is for. I agree to disagree that people's favorable view of the character of GTY is because he is the lead. It is not personal. BTW, I don't think of GTY as the lead, rather I see the families as leads as in the first episodes, the focus was on the Sheng family and the lead their for me is grandma and ML and I thought the drama should have been titled the story of the Sheng family but now we move to the GU family and I concur in this family, that even though ML and GTY are leads, the goings on in the family are vexing and hilarious at the same time but scenes of the older brother and GTY are more emotionally laden and scene stealers. So depends on one's views. I find it funny this lead and not lead discussion.

PS: really? how involved  were the GU brothers? it was a political party where the supporters were endorsing the rebel Yan, so why then did the late emperor detain Sheng Hong who could have been killed if he did not remember the answer ML gave the scholar in the classroom? This does not have anything to do with lead or being lead does it?

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

P/S: Having parties is not a crime so even if arrested, CF would still be okay. Gu family however was 

I think people are not refuting Qh's position as an official and that's why someone said they actually support how he works since the cousins are truly guilty. 

And GTY asking for leniency for his cousins might be unreasonable but the king's son already told him it was possible since they didn't commit major mistakes. QH refuting that is also good since somehow it's questioning the emperor's power. But we all know why and what GTY did that and we all know why QH did that a little bit

QH talkinf about MN in the court is also good since it's in his jurisdiction and official's rumors have always been reported to the court. So no problem, but him now judging against GTY outside the court does not make sense at all. The issues of the court ends in the court. So even if we don't know what happened when GTY asked him if he is doing all these because of personal reasons, we can surely know that QH still questions GTY's value which literally its weird because it's QH, we should be asking where his pure beliefs are.. But I'm not saying because GTY is the lease, we just support him, but somehow his deeds are always being explained so we kinda understand him and as said earlier, GTY was never a pure gentleman, so we are the is it appropriate stage for GTY. But QH was a pure gentleman, that's why we are questioning if he wants to be like GTY, a rogus but with the heart of gold, or he just wants to turn bad because of revenge and grudge. And even though we do not know what the episodes hold, it's clear from this recent preview with ML that QH does hold grudges over the matter, whether he wants to get revenge or not, we are yet to know, but we also know that he has somehow become the pawn for the power struggle, whether he will let them continue to use him or not, We are yet to know so I think we have always been giving QH an iota of doubt in this room as regards the preview. So we are not totally supporting or understanding GTY because he is the lead but because we are given explanations for each and every thing he does, so I think it's the explanations we like and the method is plausible. So we are looking forward to the explanations for Qh's recent behaviors, if it's evil free, of course everyone loves and pity him, if it's truly because of grudge, then I have nothing to say

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

But does eldest bro know that he was lied to and the truth told that his mother was not killed by GTY's mom?

There was a scene in one of the early episodes where GTY confronted eldest and stated that just by the size of her dowry, his mother could have married well into any grand family. She had a choice of good suitors. 

To believe the lie, you would have to believe that his mother pursued the Marquis, forcing him to divorce his wife, causing her death, when its quite clear its the Gu family who pursued her for her money.

In their final scene scene in the ancestral hall when Eldest asks if GTY would divorce ML for the good of the greater family, I think he did accept the truth, that his father would have sacrificed his mother for money/family and this pressure is what caused her death.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's episode 48(director's cut) that he and GTY talk before he dies. He says also to his wife and daughter on his deathbed to never trust big madam and the rest of the family. Only to trust GTY and Minglan and not get involved in conflict more or less.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Who did ML slash at the end?

14 hours ago, dito said:

Seems after seeing ML and QH together GTY gets drunk and looses it. He kept asking ML why won't she take him seriously??

And then as if all the other people causing trouble for ML and GTY were not enough... now kang auntie joins the circus. Gifting concubines has suddenly become the trend. Somebody please gift some to QH, so his wife keeps her nose out of other peoples business.

Why cant ML just straight out refuse Kang Auntie..

14 hours ago, fra8 said:

I completely agree that it seems weird. I don't get what he is trying to do since it seems he is working for his downfall.

But then I doubt his downfall is voluntary. He asked ML for an  amiable separation and I doubt he would do it if it weren't serious.

And I am sure ML has to save him. It was foreshadowed by the paint of the Empress (not sure about the title) saving her man and ML needs her shining moment, needs to show her capabilities, her interlligence.

This would also help GTY see she fights for him and loves him and it would make her more secure. It'd balance more their relationship. It'd show she meant it when she said she would repay it with her life.

At this point she risked everything for her mother, she will do it for her granny...I guess she will do it for him.

What if GTY was being spied on in jail so he asked ML for separation for it to be move believable? 

10 hours ago, leeza77 said:

That slap felt good its about time sometime slaps that girl.

10 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

This is just a personal opinion but I think viewers have really low tolerance of scheming against the main couple. I am not that invested in the main couple so I watch the drama with pretty neutral eyes and I find lots of things that people are deeming "evil" rather okay. For example Sheng Hong. Except for the poison case, everything he does is within the acceptable zone, even in the issue with ML's mother. He didn't mean nor directly caused her death and he had no responsibilities to seek justice for her. After all she's merely a lowly concubines he didn't favor much.

GTY' older brother is totally fine with me. After all, GTY's mother was married off into the family in a shady situation where she might indirectly have caused his mother's death (also from stepmom's influence). He grew up sick all his life and he knew the title would go to GTY after he died, GTY was perfectly healthy and had a bright future. In that kind of context it's natural that he hated GTY. What he did to GTY was not excessive at all.

Stepmom, if she could have stopped at pampering GTY so he grew up to be arrogant and manipulating his father into disliking him, then it's actually acceptable. GTY was standing between her son and the noble title, what, do you expect she can really be nice to him? She just started to go overboard since the father's death.

I also find QH and his wife's action totally okay. Everybody is allowed to be selfish to a point. QH's wife has no reasons to be nice to ML. No matter if she actually meant ill will against ML when she talked to 5th aunt about Dr.He, she spoke the truth. She didn't make anything up, ML really was in a kinda relationship with Dr.He when she suddenly got married to GTY. The thing is, if something happened, you can't forbid people talking about it. But her action was not very smart, that's all. Nothing to gain from it.

QH is the same. He is now a Yu Shi, so he is kinda working for the disciplinary department, and GTY is the man with the worst reputation in town. He hates GTY now (why not? He's not saint) and he doesn't need to frame GTY or sth, he can do his job fair and square and still get back at GTY a little bit, so it's a great deal for him. Again, why not? If GTY is squeaky clean then QH will have nothing against him. As long as QH does things within his duty and not trying to frame GTY nor break any rules, I say go for it.

I know everybody wants our couple to have a smooth easy life, but that's not how it is. Everything they did in the past will leave consequences in the future. Manniang is GTY's past, he got over it but the effect still lasts. He has changed doesn't mean he could get out clean. Any weakness will be used against him, everybody lives for their own benefit and if he let a weakness exposed then others will use it. They are being targeted by everyone but actually in the lives of people with status, everybody is being targeted by everyone, we just don't see it. 

Now where do i start with this post without being rude.. was just shaking my head reading this in disbelief but let me try.

Its not that were super invested in the main couple its just that we understand their actions and thought process alot more because they are the lead couple of this drama so we see more of them and understand them clearer. I also heavily disagree that you see this drama with neutral eyes based on what you said below.  Stuff that is actually evil or wrong you are trying to explain away .

You say SH apart from the Poison case everything he does is acceptable?

Lets start with ML's mother's death sure he never directly caused her death but he certainly never investigated or tried to find out the truth because that would ruin the sheng's honour and his honour. Saying he had no responsibilities to seek justice for her like what?

He then treats his concubine better then his main wife which basically shames the main wife and makes her lose authority of the household. Following this he totally favours and treats the children differently in regards to punishments and reward's case being when ML had her face slashed Molan was barely punished. He also had idea's to give away ML multiple times to solve family issues even though ML has repeatedly saved Sheng's family honour. First being when she was young during the marriage of her sister , second when she saved SH from the actions of her brother in the palace by SH remembering what ML once said. Then there is also the upcoming grandma getting poisoned where i guess he wanted to keep this Hush and not punish people involved to protect his honour.

I just GUESS this is all just acceptable and fine.

What you said about GTY's older brother i agree with but he was manipulated to believe what he did and continuously worked and harmed his brother so hes not a neutral party. I pity his character but i hate his action's and still think hes a bad character most likely not evil just misinformed/biased against his brother.

Stepmom is just truly evil and this should not even be a debate she pretended to be a loving step mother towards GTY all while harming his repudiation, saying he raped girls and always messed around in brothel's. This in return made the dad and father basically hate each other. You said she started to go overboard since the father died? No she has been evil since the start with her false personality and making GTY into a villain she also stopped GTY from meeting his father before death. None of this is acceptable at all and she is truly evil. 

QH's wife is not evil she is just a bit naive to think she would be QH's first and one true love and they would live in peace and harmony . What does she think will happen if she goes against ML which she has.. she did not need to tell 5th aunt about the dolls but she did to cause issues , she also ran into ML on purpose in trailer to cause some issues. 

I also agree somewhat in regards to QH if he was just doing his job there would be no issues but its painfully obvious for everyone to see hes emotional and clearly going against GTY but i just dont get what he think's doing this will do . He wants ML to be happy but doing this against GTY will harm ML. He is indirectly a pawn for ED against GTY and sure we dont know everything but hes really not that stupid to not know that hes clearly going against GTY and hes fine with that.

Also no-one want's our couple to have a smooth easy life because that would be boring and drama over.

Im terrible and writing and have terrible grammar but tried to get my point's across. 

9 hours ago, gleek49 said:

So QH has every rights to be angry at GTY, he's only doing his job, but his wife being petty must mean that she's malicious and evil? :D

They are both petty but his wife is just naive as well thinking the marriage would be perfect. 

9 hours ago, gleek49 said:

Well, everyone is entitled to have different opinions. I just find the double standard amusing ^_^

Plus I'm not saying QH's wife is a saint, I just think calling her "evil" is a bit much.

Rather then evil shes malicious and out to cause trouble and Naive.

6 hours ago, Lunkera said:

@UnniSarah  Sorry, i can't

Reveal hidden contents

I try to avoid dramas with tragic ending. I'm too sensitive for that kind of stuff even though i'm a guy :D 

6 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

That is okay @Lunkera...... I totally agree with you. I try to avoid some drama that end tragic too. It can be so heartbreaking. :tears::tears:

Which drama re you on about??

4 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

P/S: Having parties is not a crime so even if arrested, CF would still be okay. Gu family however was involved.

We have plenty of proof by now when he met with GTY and got emotional , when he met ML and tried to touch her.. QH is stupid but hes really not that stupid he clearly knows hes being used to go against GTY.

If he was simply investigating and doing his job would so many people have issues with him currently. QH criticised GTY in court but im pretty sure someone was about to bring up his marriage with the princess and GTY stopped that.. You see the difference ?  

QH is emotional and clearly still has feeling's for ML if people really think he holds no grudge against GTY and is simply doing his job then i really dont know what to say, he most likely think's ML was stolen from him. 

QH said he wanted ML to be happy and have a good husband/life yet he is openly going against GTY which causes harm to ML.. makes sense. 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

QH is emotional and clearly still has feeling's for ML if people really think he holds no grudge against GTY and is simply doing his job then i really dont know what to say, he most likely think's ML was stolen from him. 

Very well explained.. He is emotionally unstable and stupid but he knows the truth and refuses to accept it.. He just wants to do everything to prove he is better than GTY even if it's going against his own beliefs.. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

Very well explained.. He is emotionally unstable and stupid but he knows the truth and refuses to accept it.. He just wants to do everything to prove he is better than GTY even if it's going against his own beliefs.. 

You can edit your post and delete everything i said otherwise a bit to much of my trash writing taking up alot of space. Its correct though QH is clearly unstable and emotional and most likely think's ML was stolen from him.

• Like 6

I am watching episode 49 & QH told his wife that the emperor is mad just at GTY when she talked about GTY & his wife. Is that his final goal? Getting GTY out of the way & then what does he expect to happen? ML to come back to him? He is married for heavens sake & so is she! In that trailer that was posted he was shouting that he is full of regret & then he grabbed ML by the arms. He hasn’t grown up at all! I don’t expect him not to be full of regret but you don’t go & say that to a married woman, grab her arms & deliberately try to get her husband in trouble!

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

@ForgottenSoulx We were talking about Legend of Fu Yao

I loved Fuyao's ending though.. She was able to outlive the guy that was supposed to come out.. And then they were overlooking the cities.. Simple but somehow an open ending with lots of unexplained things.. Hmm so I do love the ending.. Emotional, sad, and fulfilling 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, anzomi said:

Why would ML want to talk to QH alone? If she has no motive I doubt she would talk to him at all with his personality.

I can only think about 2 options here, wants to talk about his wife(I doubt it) or maybe she is trying to help GTY clarifying the rumors about MN.

With the other trailer with him asking her why don't you take me seriously maybe he told her he will take care of everything and she went behind his back to help him or something similar.

Pure speculation xD

I wouldn’t translate what GTY said being drunk in the trailer after he seen ML talking with QH as “why don’t you take me seriously” since there are more words before he said that sentence.

I would translate what he said as, “I just want you to pity/like/ love me. Why don’t you understand me. Why don’t you understand me”...then he said “I marry you...”, interrupted by Shitou. 

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

I loved Fuyao's ending though.. She was able to outlive the guy that was supposed to come out.. And then they were overlooking the cities.. Simple but somehow an open ending with lots of unexplained things.. Hmm so I do love the ending.. Emotional, sad, and fulfilling 

Spoiler

Yeah Fu Yao had a good ending. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

I wouldn’t translate what GTY said being drunk in the trailer after he seen ML talking with QH as “why don’t you take me seriously” since there are more words before he said that sentence.

I would translate what he said as, “I just want you to pity/like/ love me. Why don’t you understand me. Why don’t you understand me”...then he said “I marry you...”, interrupted by Shitou. 

I'm not sure if they meant for this to be a serious moment but I couldn't help laughing. I can't take him seriously when he does this sort of thing and even ML looked like she was half laughing. :P

• Like 5
  • LOL 4