Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

It's quite sometime I've been here, had to back read few pages, anyway thanks to all for the updates. :D

I can't wait for Minglan to be on air, hope we won't be waiting too long now.

• Like 4

Zhu Yilong, Zhao Liying, Feng Shaofeng, "知否知否应是绿肥红瘦" is tentatively scheduled to be broadcast in the first quarter of next year.  cr青春影视偶像

be5a6f7edc6baba2754f53e929f93b41-full.jp

4562c440gy1fv5yee82woj20u017jthm.jpg

dc946074e220a8550029622e2526b984-full.jp

• Like 4

7 hours ago, minoku2209 said:

Chow Tai Fook (zhōu dà fú) announced that the new jewellery collection is coming out for The Story of MingLan drama.

I just wish they werent so expensive. I always want to get jewelry from ancient dramas bc it looks simple yet classy but I know Chow Tai Fook is on the expensive side. At least their previous ZLY jewelry.  But this is still a good opportunity.

6 hours ago, TheRedDragon said:

Zhu Yilong, Zhao Liying, Feng Shaofeng, "知否知否应是绿肥红瘦" is tentatively scheduled to be broadcast in the first quarter of next year.  cr青春影视偶像

hmm I kind of feel that this is unlikely. If Minglan doesnt air in December, Hunan is just going to air another historical since they have ~40 episodes left of historical dramas for the year and they wont just throw them away. So if another historical drama starts airing then it will run into January, which would be part of the first quarter of 2019 dramas. For them to air another historical on the first quarter feels a bit unlikely. Not impossible just kind of worrisome that they are changing dates like that. If Minglan doesnt air in December I suspect it will be a while before it airs. 

Hunan owns two other historical dramas: The Gods, which they almost aired early this year but they have been putting it off for years and Queen Dugu. 

• Like 4

I think we are probably done dubbing 

FSF

62014645ly1fvrue05wcwj22c02c04qw.jpg

and Zhu Yi long did their roles 

a16e4a8fly1fvlulwkqhij233t1z1npd.jpg

I hope they finish with the details and send it off for SARFT approval this month. 

• Like 2

774b3081gy1fvrc73kn5dj20qo0zkq5k.jpg

Why only this one Buyao.....don't they used to wear them in that time period?

So glad the dubbing is about done. Hoping against hope this gets to air this year.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2018 at 1:09 AM, dito said:

I have a feeling they might air this drama next year. Hunan already has one drama with high production values not doing so well ratings wise. From the comments it seems Chinese viewers find Rise of Phoenixes too slow. If they think palace politics is slow then Minglan would feel even slower since most of it is about household fights and kids growing up.....not much wuxia elements...or even wars...in other words nothing exciting for an average viewer. 

Opps.. I'm not a fan of slice of life genre, or china's family drama.. too boring and too draggy for my taste. I dunno what appealing for household fights or family stories or kids growing up? And I'm not into slow pace drama.

But my 2 fav ZLY & FSF in this! 

I'm a fan of historical and fantasy Cdramas,, with war element, actions, politic, romance, revenge, scheming, heroism, self-sacrifice. Thats why I really loved Princess Agents, and Nirvana In Fire.

Minglan is a historical drama. But not much interesting elements on it for me. 

And I'm really worry with the long episodes.. OMG 70++ ep for an ancient family drama! (Oh China please stop making drama sooo long, I hope its true that SARFT make a restriction on the number of ep) Just scare the story of Minglan would be too draggy.

I loved some of Daylight Entertainment dramas such as NIF, Love Me If You Dare, and I haven't watch yet but I might be like The Disguiser too. 

But some I don't liked, mostly their modern dramas: Candle In the Tomb, Surgeons, When A Snail Fall In Love. The stories just too flat and too slow.

Honestly, I don't have much expectation for Minglan. But I hope they prove me wrong, and Minglan turns out good!

I hope they find a way to make the story interesting each episode to keep the viewers anticipation up.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 4:29 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Is Zhu Yilong in this? Yay! But he's not the male lead... sadly.

I don't mind FSF but not as the male lead. He always seems awkward in romantic scenes. He was great in Detective Dee and the Sea Dragon as the energetic head of Da Li Shi but as a romantic lead... hmmm...

I like FSF. I enjoy his performance as the romantic lead. I recommend you to watch his latest dramas, The Starry Night The Starry Sea 1 & 2, and Ice Fantasy.

After that, might be you will get why Zhao Liying said Feng Shao Feng is a Prince Charming.

See his romantic scenes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dr4malala said:

Opps.. I'm not a fan of slice of life genre, or china's family drama.. too boring and too draggy for my taste. I dunno what appealing for household fights or family stories or kids growing up? And I'm not into slow pace drama.

But my 2 fav ZLY & FSF in this! 

I'm a fan of historical and fantasy Cdramas,, with war element, actions, politic, romance, revenge, scheming, heroism, self-sacrifice. Thats why I really loved Princess Agents, and Nirvana In Fire.

Minglan is a historical drama. But not much interesting elements on it for me. 

And I'm really worry with the long episodes.. OMG 70++ ep for an ancient family drama! (Oh China please stop making drama sooo long, I hope its true that SARFT make a restriction on the number of ep) Just scare the story of Minglan would be too draggy.

I loved some of Daylight Entertainment dramas such as NIF, Love Me If You Dare, and I haven't watch yet but I might be like The Disguiser too. 

But some I don't like, mostly their modern dramas: Candle In the Tomb, Surgeons, When A Snail Fall In Love. The stories just too flat and too slow.

Honestly, I don't have much expectation for Minglan. But I hope they prove me wrong, and Minglan turns out good!

I hope they find a way to make the story interesting each episode to keep the viewers anticipation up.

It is ~78 episodes long. 

I have liked a few Daylight dramas. But even those that I didnt enjoy I appreciated parts of their production. For me NIF and Battle of Changsha are their best drama. And both are not something I would usually enjoy but they were very well made. 

This could be draggy bc it is a family drama. I wouldnt call it slice of life since it will have additional drama. It is more a historical family setting (?). It is up to the characters. If we have interesting well executed characters, even if we dont have crazy stuff happening every episode it can avoid being draggy. Also pacing of the story. Will have to wait until the first few episodes come out. I am looking forward to it bc it has a good cast, good writers, and production. But dont expect a lot of romance. Even the book doesnt have a lot of romance since Minglan is very pragmatic about her feelings. 

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to this

This drama will likely get cut to 70 episodes by Hunan.  The online version might be longer.

17 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

It is ~78 episodes long. 

I have liked a few Daylight dramas. But even those that I didnt enjoy I appreciated parts of their production. For me NIF and Battle of Changsha are their best drama. And both are not something I would usually enjoy but they were very well made. 

This could be draggy bc it is a family drama. I wouldnt call it slice of life since it will have additional drama. It is more a historical family setting (?). It is up to the characters. If we have interesting well executed characters, even if we dont have crazy stuff happening every episode it can avoid being draggy. Also pacing of the story. Will have to wait until the first few episodes come out. I am looking forward to it bc it has a good cast, good writers, and production. But dont expect a lot of romance. Even the book doesnt have a lot of romance since Minglan is very pragmatic about her feelings. 

78!!:cold_sweat:...Are Hunan heads going nuts or what??

I miss the days of 30-40 episode dramas. I remember even some of those felt draggy to me..

• Like 1

Could get cut by Hunan but I doubt it since Daylight are so much about quality and they probably added a million things to their contract to prevent Hunan's scissor fingers. 

1 hour ago, dito said:

78!!:cold_sweat:...Are Hunan heads going nuts or what??

I miss the days of 30-40 episode dramas. I remember even some of those felt draggy to me..

I think the original script is that long bc the book is super long, I believe it has 5 volumes. So if they want to tell the complete story the drama needs to be long. It is not like HSALF for instance, which had like 26 chapters and went on for 68 episodes. This books has over 200 chapters. I know they are cutting a lot of chapters that are based on her childhood. I rather the drama has 78 episodes and a full story versus 64 and they leave out the ending in the book >_> Princess Agent. 

I havent read the book bc super long. But I read a bit around the part where they get married which was like ~chp.100. I am assuming the first 50 chapters or so are her childhood, which would get condensed into maybe 2 episodes. Then a lot of the drama will be before marriage, bc that is where the second lead comes into place. And the rest after marriage from some previews. From the sypnopsis the adaptation will give Minglan a revenge goal for her mother's death, which she really doesnt have in the book bc her mother was not her mother since she transmigrated. Now I think this revenge will be a large focus towards the end of the novel. How she is able to rise to a position of power in her husband's household so she can eventually take revenge for what happened to her mother. There are also a lot of conflicts surrounding her husband household since a lot of people in his family conspire against him. So I am assuming that after marriage, she will help him. Then gain some power and eventually take revenge against people who hurt her mother, her grandmother, and her when she was growing up. All speculation. 

So while I do think there is a potential for being draggy there are plenty of opportunities for interesting plot development. It is not a palace drama but there are similar politics in place, just more household politics and their own lives/reputations in the balance. Another good thing is a lot of side characters are properly developed in the book so I am hopeful we will get to fully see their story. 

I don't know if I am right but from everything that I have seen, I think this will be a character drama. Plot will develop around a group of characters. Which does remind me of Battle of Changsha. I am expecting a bit of a slow start to establish all the characters but I am really looking forward to really good fleshed out characters. Since source materials and scriptwriters are good at this, I hope they don't disappoint me. I am the type of person that enjoys good writing and cinematography, I think those will be the key points for this drama. Coupled with a pretty good cast. 

Has anyone read the book? 

• Like 3

I am curious if anyone has read the book. I know there are like ~26 translated chapters on novel update but I think they are mostly about her childhood. 

If you read the book, I am curious about the ending. I don't mind spoilers. 

I read somewhere that in the book Minglan does end up "taking revenge" but it is bc they force her by hurting her grandmother. So she has no choice but to hurt them back to save her grandmother from pretty much being killed. But besides that she really has no interest in payback and she just wants to get by and survive. It seemed like this was going to be a major change from book to drama since in the drama there is no transmigration so she would probably care a lot more about her mother, etc. 

• Like 3

I posted this a while back and I am bringing it up again bc hopefully we are getting closer to an air date and bc I am really curious about Sheng Rulan. So if anyone wants to drop me some spoilers about how her story ends up, I would be really thankful :) 

Sheng Family 

Sheng Hong (father)

616f0004eb8b91f4acbf

Grandmother

005QhBFzgy1foh96x9hfuj318g0p0e81.jpg

Sheng Changbai (eldest son)

6171000451b9c21cbed7

Sheng Changfeng (second son)

005QhBFzgy1foh971fcu4j318g0p0e81.jpg

Sheng Hualan (third daughter)

006gGQ44ly1fnwfuk1l6nj31be0qowkx.jpg

Sheng Molan (fourth daughter)

61700004c1cae4a6fef8

Sheng Rulan ( fifth daughter)

61700004c1bb44ba83bc

Sheng MingLan (sixth daughter)

61700004c2051b5c9d75

• Like 3

I am slightly curious about this drama, but now that I know Hunan's involved again, I'm not sure if I can put myself through another drama going through abominable cuts! The cinematography looks so noice as well T_T...