[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

On 1/22/2018 at 4:29 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Is Zhu Yilong in this? Yay! But he's not the male lead... sadly.

I don't mind FSF but not as the male lead. He always seems awkward in romantic scenes. He was great in Detective Dee and the Sea Dragon as the energetic head of Da Li Shi but as a romantic lead... hmmm...

I like FSF. I enjoy his performance as the romantic lead. I recommend you to watch his latest dramas, The Starry Night The Starry Sea 1 & 2, and Ice Fantasy.

After that, might be you will get why Zhao Liying said Feng Shao Feng is a Prince Charming.

See his romantic scenes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dr4malala said:

Opps.. I'm not a fan of slice of life genre, or china's family drama.. too boring and too draggy for my taste. I dunno what appealing for household fights or family stories or kids growing up? And I'm not into slow pace drama.

But my 2 fav ZLY & FSF in this! 

I'm a fan of historical and fantasy Cdramas,, with war element, actions, politic, romance, revenge, scheming, heroism, self-sacrifice. Thats why I really loved Princess Agents, and Nirvana In Fire.

Minglan is a historical drama. But not much interesting elements on it for me. 

And I'm really worry with the long episodes.. OMG 70++ ep for an ancient family drama! (Oh China please stop making drama sooo long, I hope its true that SARFT make a restriction on the number of ep) Just scare the story of Minglan would be too draggy.

I loved some of Daylight Entertainment dramas such as NIF, Love Me If You Dare, and I haven't watch yet but I might be like The Disguiser too. 

But some I don't like, mostly their modern dramas: Candle In the Tomb, Surgeons, When A Snail Fall In Love. The stories just too flat and too slow.

Honestly, I don't have much expectation for Minglan. But I hope they prove me wrong, and Minglan turns out good!

I hope they find a way to make the story interesting each episode to keep the viewers anticipation up.

It is ~78 episodes long. 

I have liked a few Daylight dramas. But even those that I didnt enjoy I appreciated parts of their production. For me NIF and Battle of Changsha are their best drama. And both are not something I would usually enjoy but they were very well made. 

This could be draggy bc it is a family drama. I wouldnt call it slice of life since it will have additional drama. It is more a historical family setting (?). It is up to the characters. If we have interesting well executed characters, even if we dont have crazy stuff happening every episode it can avoid being draggy. Also pacing of the story. Will have to wait until the first few episodes come out. I am looking forward to it bc it has a good cast, good writers, and production. But dont expect a lot of romance. Even the book doesnt have a lot of romance since Minglan is very pragmatic about her feelings. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

It is ~78 episodes long. 

I have liked a few Daylight dramas. But even those that I didnt enjoy I appreciated parts of their production. For me NIF and Battle of Changsha are their best drama. And both are not something I would usually enjoy but they were very well made. 

This could be draggy bc it is a family drama. I wouldnt call it slice of life since it will have additional drama. It is more a historical family setting (?). It is up to the characters. If we have interesting well executed characters, even if we dont have crazy stuff happening every episode it can avoid being draggy. Also pacing of the story. Will have to wait until the first few episodes come out. I am looking forward to it bc it has a good cast, good writers, and production. But dont expect a lot of romance. Even the book doesnt have a lot of romance since Minglan is very pragmatic about her feelings. 

78!!:cold_sweat:...Are Hunan heads going nuts or what??

I miss the days of 30-40 episode dramas. I remember even some of those felt draggy to me..

• Like 1

Could get cut by Hunan but I doubt it since Daylight are so much about quality and they probably added a million things to their contract to prevent Hunan's scissor fingers. 

1 hour ago, dito said:

78!!:cold_sweat:...Are Hunan heads going nuts or what??

I miss the days of 30-40 episode dramas. I remember even some of those felt draggy to me..

I think the original script is that long bc the book is super long, I believe it has 5 volumes. So if they want to tell the complete story the drama needs to be long. It is not like HSALF for instance, which had like 26 chapters and went on for 68 episodes. This books has over 200 chapters. I know they are cutting a lot of chapters that are based on her childhood. I rather the drama has 78 episodes and a full story versus 64 and they leave out the ending in the book >_> Princess Agent. 

I havent read the book bc super long. But I read a bit around the part where they get married which was like ~chp.100. I am assuming the first 50 chapters or so are her childhood, which would get condensed into maybe 2 episodes. Then a lot of the drama will be before marriage, bc that is where the second lead comes into place. And the rest after marriage from some previews. From the sypnopsis the adaptation will give Minglan a revenge goal for her mother's death, which she really doesnt have in the book bc her mother was not her mother since she transmigrated. Now I think this revenge will be a large focus towards the end of the novel. How she is able to rise to a position of power in her husband's household so she can eventually take revenge for what happened to her mother. There are also a lot of conflicts surrounding her husband household since a lot of people in his family conspire against him. So I am assuming that after marriage, she will help him. Then gain some power and eventually take revenge against people who hurt her mother, her grandmother, and her when she was growing up. All speculation. 

So while I do think there is a potential for being draggy there are plenty of opportunities for interesting plot development. It is not a palace drama but there are similar politics in place, just more household politics and their own lives/reputations in the balance. Another good thing is a lot of side characters are properly developed in the book so I am hopeful we will get to fully see their story. 

I don't know if I am right but from everything that I have seen, I think this will be a character drama. Plot will develop around a group of characters. Which does remind me of Battle of Changsha. I am expecting a bit of a slow start to establish all the characters but I am really looking forward to really good fleshed out characters. Since source materials and scriptwriters are good at this, I hope they don't disappoint me. I am the type of person that enjoys good writing and cinematography, I think those will be the key points for this drama. Coupled with a pretty good cast. 

Has anyone read the book? 

• Like 3

I am curious if anyone has read the book. I know there are like ~26 translated chapters on novel update but I think they are mostly about her childhood. 

If you read the book, I am curious about the ending. I don't mind spoilers. 

I read somewhere that in the book Minglan does end up "taking revenge" but it is bc they force her by hurting her grandmother. So she has no choice but to hurt them back to save her grandmother from pretty much being killed. But besides that she really has no interest in payback and she just wants to get by and survive. It seemed like this was going to be a major change from book to drama since in the drama there is no transmigration so she would probably care a lot more about her mother, etc. 

• Like 3

I posted this a while back and I am bringing it up again bc hopefully we are getting closer to an air date and bc I am really curious about Sheng Rulan. So if anyone wants to drop me some spoilers about how her story ends up, I would be really thankful :) 

Sheng Family 

Sheng Hong (father)

616f0004eb8b91f4acbf

Grandmother

005QhBFzgy1foh96x9hfuj318g0p0e81.jpg

Sheng Changbai (eldest son)

6171000451b9c21cbed7

Sheng Changfeng (second son)

005QhBFzgy1foh971fcu4j318g0p0e81.jpg

Sheng Hualan (third daughter)

006gGQ44ly1fnwfuk1l6nj31be0qowkx.jpg

Sheng Molan (fourth daughter)

61700004c1cae4a6fef8

Sheng Rulan ( fifth daughter)

61700004c1bb44ba83bc

Sheng MingLan (sixth daughter)

61700004c2051b5c9d75

• Like 3

I am slightly curious about this drama, but now that I know Hunan's involved again, I'm not sure if I can put myself through another drama going through abominable cuts! The cinematography looks so noice as well T_T...

2 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

I am curious if anyone has read the book. I know there are like ~26 translated chapters on novel update but I think they are mostly about her childhood. 

If you read the book, I am curious about the ending. I don't mind spoilers. 

Hide contents

I read somewhere that in the book Minglan does end up "taking revenge" but it is bc they force her by hurting her grandmother. So she has no choice but to hurt them back to save her grandmother from pretty much being killed. But besides that she really has no interest in payback and she just wants to get by and survive. It seemed like this was going to be a major change from book to drama since in the drama there is no transmigration so she would probably care a lot more about her mother, etc. 

I have kind of read a major part of the book. But it was read in batches over a period of 8-10 months. So I remember some things but not everything.

The english translation was left off quite early on. Just after Minglan met Qi Heng and his family, I think. She has started taking classes with her siblings but since she was still little she got bored during class and liked to nod off. There was a seat in the class that got a lot of sunlight and no none liked to sit there. Only Minglan liked sitting there coz Qi Heng sat in front of her and since he's tall his back hid her from the sight of the teacher when she's dozing off. I think QH started liking her from here. When Minglan and her sisters meets QH's family....his mom specifically asks who is the sixth miss amongst them coz she has heard so much about her from QH.

Some more spoilers if you like.....

Spoiler

most of the middle part of the book is about Minglan and her grandma traveling to their relatives/friends house some place far. The daughter of the house broke off the engagement with GTY after his mistress came with her kid crying to their house. Minglan knew the whole story from her cousin. So when GTY found out her family knew his ex-fiancee family...he asked her about it and she told him some things but avoided the truth. GTY started noticing her a little from there.....coz she was very different from other girls her age. He had stopped her way while she was alone and unaccompanied...not done in those times....but she stayed calm and answered him rationally.

Funny thing I remember after she answered and left his sight she started running like crazy to get away from him...scared someone might have seen them.

Sequence of the events may not be how I remember though....I think by this time Minglan was in her early teens.

She told him the truth about the reason for the broken engagement when he saved her life.....she and her maids had been kidnapped by traffickers, I think....she tried to convince them to jump the ship to escape but most of them couldn't swim so she jumped alone when she saw another ship coming near them...she swam over to ask for help and saw GTY dressed like an outlaw with a face full of hair. She surprised the hell out of him and his men when she ran towards him and called him second uncle....thats what she used to call him... :o

I think it was from here GTY started to notice that Minglan actually keeps her real self hidden under tight control. After this he started noticing her way of doing things. 

By the time she got engaged to her distant cousin GTY knew he wanted to marry her. But he also knew no one would consent if he went and asked directly...and his family would be against too, as she's a concubine's daughter. Even if her father would...her grandmother will never agree to giving her beloved granddaughter to a man who along with a very colorful past had an illegitimate son and a daughter and their mother to face for the rest of her life. So he planned this huge elaborate scheme to get her.

He got Minglan's fiance's childhood sweetheart to start communicating with the fiance again and convinced her to confess her feelings. Now this dumbas s fiance instead of rejecting her kept meeting her and made the situation so that the girl asked to be his concubine. Minglan broke off with him after this. While this all was going on GTY was activating part 2 of the plan. He sent a proposal for RouLan, and her ambitious father had accepted readily. But Roulan was horrified and was desperately seeking a way out. If I remember correctly think Roulan had actually fallen for a poor scholar already and had been secretly meeting him. GTY 'accidentally' found out about her secret and to keep both families reputation he 'grudgingly' suggested marrying the next daughter in line....i.e Minglan.....so devious...this man, right? 

It took a lot...and I mean A LOT of convincing to get the consent of the both grandmother and the granddaughter. He asked to talk with Minglan alone and told her she would be free to live her life without any fear or restriction. Minglan realized he's seen through to her true self . That was the first time she got angry and cried. And that was the first time Minglan spoke her true mind in front of anyone. Revealing a bit of why she lives a life hiding all her real feelings.

After they get married they only fought once, that I remember...... and it was because of this.

They had both gone to some celebration of QH's twins...100 days I think.....there Minglan is told by QH's jealous wife what QH named his kids...both kids has Ming in their name or something. So Minglan got mad thinking QH is carrying a torch for her still and was behaving disrespectfully to her.  When she was leaving she met QH and she scolded him asking what name did you give your kids....did you have nothing else...something like that. She didn't stop and just walked on and came upon GTY who seemed to have overheard everything. After coming back home she realized GTY was really upset with her...she thought it was because he saw her talking to QH....btw....GTY knew about QH being crazy about her before. But when she clarified..he told her the reason he was upset was because of the way she openly expressed her anger, when she scolded QH. She must feel comfortable enough to do that with him. He told her he realized in that moment that since they got married she had never once got mad at him, scolded him, disagreed with him or went against him, even once.

He said he had promised her she could live freely with him but she still holds everything back from him. Does she even really like him??

Minglan can't defend herself and for the first time after their marriage he goes and sleeps in his study. This separation lasts for quite a while. Enough that some people started getting ideas to take advantage of this marital disharmony. 

They have a son by this time...and GTY is very attached to him and can't sleep alone so whenever he comes home at night he picks up his sleeping son and takes him to sleep with him in his study. And puts him back in bed with Minglan when he leaves in the early morning..... waking her up every time.

She didn't try to defend herself or explain herself...coz she didn't think she was wrong in keeping herself safe like this....she just went about taking care of him like always....which seemed to make him more upset.

I'll post more spoilers if I remember any. If you guys are worried there won't be much kissing or skinship....don't be....In the book GTY loved having his hands on her....I remember he liked to touch her pregnant belly a lot. Though I'm not sure if they changed this for the drama. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, dito said:

I have kind of read a major part of the book. But it was read in batches over a period of 8-10 months. So I remember some things but not everything.

The english translation was left off quite early on. Just after Minglan met Qi Heng and his family, I think. She has started taking classes with her siblings but since she was still little she got bored during class and liked to nod off. There was a seat in the class that got a lot of sunlight and no none liked to sit there. Only Minglan liked sitting there coz Qi Heng sat in front of her and since he's tall his back hid her from the sight of the teacher when she's dozing off. I think QH started liking her from here. When Minglan and her sisters meets QH's family....his mom specifically asks who is the sixth miss amongst them coz she has heard so much about her from QH.

Reveal hidden contents

most of the middle part of the book is about Minglan and her grandma traveling to their relatives/friends house some place far. The daughter of the house broke off the engagement with GTY after his mistress came with her kid crying to their house. Minglan knew the whole story from her cousin. So when GTY found out her family knew his ex-fiancee family...he asked her about it and she told him some things but avoided the truth. GTY started noticing her a little from there.....coz she was very different from other girls her age. He had stopped her way while she was alone and unaccompanied...not done in those times....but she stayed calm and answered him rationally.

Funny thing I remember after she answered and left his sight she started running like crazy to get away from him...scared someone might have seen them.

Sequence of the events may not be how I remember though....I think by this time Minglan was in her early teens.

She told him the truth about the reason for the broken engagement when he saved her life.....she and her maids had been kidnapped by traffickers, I think....she tried to convince them to jump the ship to escape but most of them couldn't swim so she jumped alone when she saw another ship coming near them...she swam over to ask for help and saw GTY dressed like an outlaw with a face full of hair. She surprised the hell out of him and his men when she ran towards him and called him second uncle....thats what she used to call him... :o

I think it was from here GTY started to notice that Minglan actually keeps her real self hidden under tight control. After this he started noticing her way of doing things. 

By the time she got engaged to her distant cousin GTY knew he wanted to marry her. But he also knew no one would consent if he went and asked directly...and his family would be against too, as she's a concubine's daughter. Even if her father would...her grandmother will never agree to giving her beloved granddaughter to a man who along with a very colorful past had an illegitimate son and a daughter and their mother to face for the rest of her life. So he planned this huge elaborate scheme to get her.

He got Minglan's fiance's childhood sweetheart to start communicating with the fiance again and convinced her to confess her feelings. Now this dumbas s fiance instead of rejecting her kept meeting her and made the situation so that the girl asked to be his concubine. Minglan broke off with him after this. While this all was going on GTY was activating part 2 of the plan. He sent a proposal for RouLan, and her ambitious father had accepted readily. But Roulan was horrified and was desperately seeking a way out. If I remember correctly think Roulan had actually fallen for a poor scholar already and had been secretly meeting him. GTY 'accidentally' found out about her secret and to keep both families reputation he 'grudgingly' suggested marrying the next daughter in line....i.e Minglan.....so devious...this man, right? 

It took a lot...and I mean A LOT of convincing to get the consent of the both grandmother and the granddaughter. He asked to talk with Minglan alone and told her she would be free to live her life without any fear or restriction. Minglan realized he's seen through to her true self . That was the first time she got angry and cried. And that was the first time Minglan spoke her true mind in front of anyone. Revealing a bit of why she lives a life hiding all her real feelings.

After they get married they only fought once, that I remember...... and it was because of this.

They had both gone to some celebration of QH's twins...100 days I think.....there Minglan is told by QH's jealous wife what QH named his kids...both kids has Ming in their name or something. So Minglan got mad thinking QH is carrying a torch for her still and was behaving disrespectfully to her.  When she was leaving she met QH and she scolded him asking what name did you give your kids....did you have nothing else...something like that. She didn't stop and just walked on and came upon GTY who seemed to have overheard everything. After coming back home she realized GTY was really upset with her...she thought it was because he saw her talking to QH....btw....GTY knew about QH being crazy about her before. But when she clarified..he told her the reason he was upset was because of the way she openly expressed her anger, when she scolded QH. She must feel comfortable enough to do that with him. He told her he realized in that moment that since they got married she had never once got mad at him, scolded him, disagreed with him or went against him, even once.

He said he had promised her she could live freely with him but she still holds everything back from him. Does she even really like him??

Minglan can't defend herself and for the first time after their marriage he goes and sleeps in his study. This separation lasts for quite a while. Enough that some people started getting ideas to take advantage of this marital disharmony. 

They have a son by this time...and GTY is very attached to him and can't sleep alone so whenever he comes home at night he picks up his sleeping son and takes him to sleep with him in his study. And puts him back in bed with Minglan when he leaves in the early morning..... waking her up every time.

She didn't try to defend herself or explain herself...coz she didn't think she was wrong in keeping herself safe like this....she just went about taking care of him like always....which seemed to make him more upset.

I'll post more spoilers if I remember any. If you guys are worried there won't be much kissing or skinship....don't be....In the book GTY loved having his hands on her....I remember he liked to touch her pregnant belly a lot. Though I'm not sure if they changed this for the drama. 

Thanks @dito, i started reading the novel but google translation was 'killing' it for me :(. I believe those exact part will be showing in the drama..so anticipating it now!!, please tell us more :blush:..thanks again.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, dito said:

Hide contents

@dito

You are a good story telling.. and you turn the story into romance :yum:

• Like 4

15 hours ago, dito said:

If you guys are worried there won't be much kissing or skinship....don't be....In the book GTY loved having his hands on her....I remember he liked to touch her pregnant belly a lot. Though I'm not sure if they changed this for the drama. 

Now, can anyone who has read NIF novel, can tell me.. are there kissing in the novel? 

Just curious bcoz NIF 1&2 don't have kissing scene!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dr4malala said:

Now, can anyone who has read NIF novel, can tell me.. are there kissing in the novel? 

Just curious bcoz NIF 1&2 don't have kissing scene!

I don't know if you know this but....

Spoiler

NIF was originally a bl novel. Not explicit or anything just hinting. The love between MCS and Jing Wang was all emotional and loyal in nature not romantic and never verbalized. Though there were few scenes where Jing Rui discussed his feelings for MCS with YuJin and YuJin realized Jing Rui loved MCS and was possessive of him. But for me the best of all was Fei Liu's love for MCS. He looked at MCS as a father and protector and MCS loved Fei Liu as a son and little brother. This relationship is what I was eager to see most on screen. But I was disappointed that they cut out all the closeness and skinship between them. Like fei Liu's favorite place to lie down was MCS's lap, his head on his knee was his usual place to sit. Whenever MCS got sick FL slept with him and stayed up all night to watch over him. When MCS had his coughing fits Fei Liu rubbed his back or chest to calm him down......I really missed all these little touches that showed how FL cared for MCS. 

About Story of Minglan...I'm afraid what I wrote was all a jumbled up version. I don't remember the sequence of events and I also skipped a lot to get to ML and GTY scenes...thats why I remember quite a few of those.

• Like 2