[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

51 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

@paras part of the answer to your question earlier in new preview 

New preview & summary: The continuation of ML’s head-on argument with SH at family lunch!

Reveal hidden contents

http://m.v.qq.com/x/cover/x/xmw2gfef226jygj/r0029f9w1uy.html?&ptag=4_6.6.1.22092_copy

My guess from earlier was right that ML brought up about CL causing her mom’s death during childbirth. However, we cannot tell what exactly happened between Molan and ML for her to bring her mom’s case up and causing Molan kneel (pretend to kneel?). It is also not clear whether ML told everyone that Molan causing foils for her husband’s concubine, Chunniang, like CL did to her mom. However, Liang Han starts to have doubts about Molan's words. He was asking whether their first meeting at the temple when she slipped was coincidental. I guess she has been telling him it was their fate. He threatened her to tell him the truth or he would go ask ML.

GTY said he loves her quiet nature but he loves her feisty side more. ML now has to face GTY’s paternal aunt giving her concubines :( GTY defends ML saying it isn’t ML fault and told his aunt about step-mom sending MN to stab him so that her own son could inherit when he dies. (I hope his aunt believes him). ML told Tanju that she doesn't want to bother GTY with this little thing (don’t mention in details) since he has been having issues at imperial court and already protected her with his aunt making her accept concubines. 

(I’m just writing this out of my memory after watching trailer. I’m sorry I don’t have time now to go back and check every dialogues like I did for previous previews' translations). Hope my summary makes sense. 

Spoiler

Ooh...if it’s the second time an Aunt is trying to give them a concubine and GTY is opposing the aunt, then this should around the time they find out they’re pregnant.  

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, dito said:

How cool would it be if his downfall is all a part of his plan. Getting punished and sent off to fight as a foot soldier may be just the thing to get his family from out of the middle of the power struggle. 

Agree that GTY's downfall is part of his plan, but the ultimate aim was not to stay out of the power struggle. In his conversation with EP, he swore allegiance to the emperor and his predecessor. As a loyal general and friend of Huan Prince and the emperor, he wouldn't abandon them just for the safety of himself and his family. 

4 minutes ago, matrim said:

Agree that GTY's downfall is part of his plan, but the ultimate aim was not to stay out of the power struggle. In his conversation with EP, he swore allegiance to the emperor and his predecessor. As a loyal general and friend of Huan Prince and the emperor, he wouldn't abandon them just for the safety of himself and his family. 

I agree. He’s always prepared to take steps backwards when needed. In his conversation with ML, he said he’s already calculated all of this so I also think it’s going to be part of a larger plan.

3 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

I'm really confused about the stepmom's son right now. I read the book before watching drama and in the book he is a villain so since the beginning I always assume he's a bad guy and kinda hate him. Now I'm not sure since he hasn't shown any sign of evil (yet) and the drama seems to derail from the book quite a lot. Did they decide to change his character or what? If they did then I really don't know what to feel. I can say I'm quite prejudiced against him.

@matrim In ep 51, it shows that GTW knew his mom has been pretending in showing affections and care for GTY. He also said to his mom in carriage ride back from general's mansion (after GTY sort of kicked them and 5th uncle family out by smashing the vase) that "we all are pretending and only second brother doesn't pretend". Before I heard him saying this, I thought he loves GTY and he isn't two-faced like his mom. Now, I wonder how much did he pretend? His concerns towards GTY by inquiring CB of his whereabouts are genuine or not? At their father's dead bed, he seemed not to know about his mom and oldest brother blocking GTY from seeing the father, but is he pretending there too? (It doesn't seem to me he was pretending at that time though). 

He, however, disagreed to his mom's suggestion about getting the Marquis title and wants to get along with GTY. So,  GTW's character is ???? for me now.

Spoiler

Although I know the attack to mansion was caused by step-mom but only remembered GTW was shot by arrow during that second rebellion. I didn't know/remember he was the leader of the attack. 

Since the scenes in the book hasn't happened yet, I guess we just have to wait and see whether drama will make him become evil. :D 

15 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

@matrim In ep 51, it shows that GTW knew his mom has been pretending in showing affections and care for GTY. He also said to his mom in carriage ride back from general's mansion (after GTY sort of kicked them and 5th uncle family out by smashing the vase) that "we all are pretending and only second brother doesn't pretend". Before I heard him saying this, I thought he loves GTY and he isn't two-faced like his mom. Now, I wonder how much did he pretend? His concerns towards GTY by inquiring CB of his whereabouts are genuine or not? At their father's dead bed, he seemed not to know about his mom and oldest brother blocking GTY from seeing the father, but is he pretending there too? (It doesn't seem to me he was pretending at that time though). 

He, however, disagreed to his mom's suggestion about getting the Marquis title and wants to get along with GTY. So,  GTW's character is ???? for me now.

Hide contents

Although I know the attack to mansion was caused by step-mom but only remembered GTW was shot by arrow during that second rebellion. I didn't know/remember he was the leader of the attack. 

Since the scenes in the book hasn't happened yet, I guess we just have to wait and see whether drama will make him become evil. :D 

Right now, I'm leaning more to the theory that he genuinely care about GTY, he knows of his mother scheming, but because she is his mother, he's been turning a blind eye to it. I hope that he wouldn't turn evil, but I would also not surprise if he chooses to side with his mother later. It's his mother after all.

One more thing, (sigh, I'm going to get so much flak for this :sweatingbullets:) I've been quite perplexed at my fellow viewers categorising QH's 2nd wife, Madam Shen, as "evil". I mean, I don't understand why? The only reason she told 5th aunt about ML and Dr. He's history, is because 5th aunt was trying to ask for QH's help regarding her son, Madam Shen was only trying to refuse to help on her husband's behalf, to dismiss any personal connection her husband had with ML and Gu family? Basically, 5th aunt was trying to bribe QH and his wife is only trying to refuse the bribe and keep her husband out of it? She wasn't doing it because she wanted to hurt ML? She only realized that ML might mean more to QH than she thought AFTER meeting with 5th aunt? And then, in ep 46, it was obvious that she was getting over her suspicions towards ML, telling her maid to drop investigating ML and trying to focus on taking care of her husband? Only then, she found the dolls? And she hasn't done anything "evil" towards ML since?? Why is it her faults that her husband neglects her (hasn't been in her room and sleeping in his study for a month), if QH was going to treat his wife like that, why did he marry her in the first place, because his family needed an incubator? The fact that QH basically told her (after GTY's brother funeral) "GTY was being stupid is his own fault, keep ML out of it", like he STILL defending ML to his own wife? The poor girl didn't do anything to deserve that kind of treatments? She's not a saint, why should she just tolerate it? If I was her, I would also be bitter as hell! She was actually more gracious than I expected her to be in this kind of situation. Of course, she would want to "snatch" her husband back, she may not be his 1st wife or 1st love, but they are MARRIED, she's currently, literally the one person who has the right to claim him.

Of course, I would take it all back if she does do things that would harm ML later, but right now, I honestly don't think she's done anything deserving to be label as "evil" yet. I apologize for being all riled up, but I just thought any character should deserve to be defended and understood where they are coming from, even if they are not Sad Pretty Boy with Soulful Watery Eyes :)

51 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think GTW just made a general statement, meaning all members of Gu household were hypocrites except GTY. From the angry reaction of him getting off the carriage, It seems he resented his mother's actions and wasn't completely on her side.

Spoiler

In chapter 219 of the novel, Madam Liu, the wife of the official responsible for the investigation of the second rebellion, told ML GTW was the leader of bandits who attacked GTY mansion.

36 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

Right now, I'm leaning more to the theory that he genuinely care about GTY, he knows of his mother scheming, but because she is his mother, he's been turning a blind eye to it. I hope that he wouldn't turn evil, but I would also not surprise if he chooses to side with his mother later. It's his mother after all.

One more thing, (sigh, I'm going to get so much flak for this :sweatingbullets:) I've been quite perplexed at my fellow viewers categorising QH's 2nd wife, Madam Shen, as "evil". I mean, I don't understand why? The only reason she told 5th aunt about ML and Dr. He's history, is because 5th aunt was trying to ask for QH's help regarding her son, Madam Shen was only trying to refuse to help on her husband's behalf, to dismiss any personal connection her husband had with ML and Gu family? Basically, 5th aunt was trying to bribe QH and his wife is only trying to refuse the bribe and keep her husband out of it? She wasn't doing it because she wanted to hurt ML? She only realized that ML might mean more to QH than she thought AFTER meeting with 5th aunt? And then, in ep 46, it was obvious that she was getting over her suspicions towards ML, telling her maid to drop investigating ML and trying to focus on taking care of her husband? Only then, she found the dolls? And she hasn't done anything "evil" towards ML since?? Why is it her faults that her husband neglects her (hasn't been in her room and sleeping in his study for a month), if QH was going to treat his wife like that, why did he marry her in the first place, because his family needed an incubator? The fact that QH basically told her (after GTY's brother funeral) "GTY was being stupid is his own fault, keep ML out of it", like he STILL defending ML to his own wife? The poor girl didn't do anything to deserve that kind of treatments? She's not a saint, why should she just tolerate it? If I was her, I would also be bitter as hell! She was actually more gracious than I expected her to be in this kind of situation. Of course, she would want to "snatch" her husband back, she may not be his 1st wife or 1st love, but they are MARRIED, she's currently, literally the one person who has the right to claim him.

Of course, I would take it all back if she does do things that would harm ML later, but right now, I honestly don't think she's done anything deserving to be label as "evil" yet. I apologize for being all riled up, but I just thought any character should deserve to be defended and understood where they are coming from, even if they are not Sad Pretty Boy with Soulful Watery Eyes :)

You forgot that she told fifth aunt about dr he, thus gave ammunition for fifth aunt to force ml to help her son. What's the purpose of telling the aunt about dr he if not to hurt ml, as if ml was not a good woman. Already bethrothed to dr he, but then marry gty who is better in status to dr he. So, she is actually has a malicious intention towards ml. 

Nobody stop her from loving or trying to earn the love of qh, but why do you want to attack ml? 

37 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

The poor girl didn't do anything to deserve that kind of treatments? She's not a saint, why should she just tolerate it? If I was her, I would also be bitter as hell! She was actually more gracious than I expected her to be in this kind of situation.

Regarding QH's second wife, it depends on the expectations of the marriage. Remember the conversation with GTY and ML after the home visit where she said that all she wanted was 'fairness.'

This is an arranged marriage so is QH being unfair to her? I don't think so. He is working hard at his job to catch up with his peers (he was a parachute candidate after all). He is not sleeping with any maids. He is cold but treats her respectfully. It takes time to build a good marriage especially when you are strangers. She wants to have his heart when she doesn't even understand him yet. Her expectation of the marriage is a tad unrealistic. 

3 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

You forgot that she told fifth aunt about dr he, thus gave ammunition for fifth aunt to force ml to help her son. What's the purpose of telling the aunt about dr he if not to hurt ml, as if ml was not a good woman. Already bethrothed to dr he, but then marry gty who is better in status to dr he. So, she is actually has a malicious intention towards ml. 

Nobody stop her from loving or trying to earn the love of qh, but why do you want to attack ml? 

She didn't attack ML because she wants to hurt ML specifically. It's because she didn't want to accept 5th Aunt's request, she was saying that "hey aunt, my husband has already had rumors with that bride in your house, we are trying to avoid any relation with your house because of her, so stop asking us for help. Here's the information, you can use that to threaten GTY and his wife to help you, stop bothering my husband". It's just basic diversion tactic, it's not personal, she was just pushing the burden back to ML and GTY, if 5th Aunt didn't come to her door, there's no reason for her to do that.

2 minutes ago, mooose said:

Regarding QH's second wife, it depends on the expectations of the marriage. Remember the conversation with GTY and ML after the home visit where she said that all she wanted was 'fairness.'

This is an arranged marriage so is QH being unfair to her? I don't think so. He is working hard at his job to catch up with his peers (he was a parachute candidate after all). He is not sleeping with any maids. He is cold but treats her respectfully. It takes time to build a good marriage especially when you are strangers. She wants to have his heart when she doesn't even understand him yet. Her expectation of the marriage is a tad unrealistic. 

She's controlling and suspicious in nature. No maids in her hubby's study showed that she distrust the hubby. Qh knew about her distrust and pointed out to her. 

4 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

She didn't attack ML because she wants to hurt ML specifically. It's because she didn't want to accept 5th Aunt's request, she was saying that "hey aunt, my husband has already had rumors with that bride in your house, we are trying to avoid any relation with your house because of her, so stop asking us for help. Here's the information, you can use that to threaten GTY and his wife to help you, stop bothering my husband". It's just basic diversion tactic, it's not personal, she was just pushing the burden back to ML and GTY, if 5th Aunt didn't come to her door, there's no reason for her to do that.

She doesn't need to tell her about ml's past, if she wanted to avert the 5th aunt. The excuse she gave before is sufficient enough. Talking bad things about someone you don't even know personally to her in laws, in my book is malicious. 

Post marriage of GTY and ML the most consistent plot line has been the story of concubines.

Except the Shengs every one has tried their best to have concubines enter the newlywed's household which was laboriously thwarted.

Since Gu household cousins lacked GTY's foresight of concubines are hazardous material and need careful handling they ended up being hung out to dry.

After 10 episodes of the concubine stories one hopes we will bid them adieu with Ms.Maniang's departure.

32 minutes ago, mooose said:

Yes, her expectation was high. She told her maid that she expected her marriage with QH was going to be loving like her parents, but in the same conversation, she also stated that she had understood that her expectation was too high, hence, she's gonna accept the reality. Now, she only wanted to fullfill her responsibilities as his wife (taking care of his clothes etc., even if he's neglecting her). Did she get angry at QH? No, she was disappointed, but she accepted it. Only then, she found the doll and realized that her husband may not had forgotten his first love. Did she do anything rash after the discovery? No, she's still seen dutifully accompanied her husband to Gu's funeral, still polite and gracious towards him, then heard her husband STILL defending ML, then concluding that her husband was still carrying a torch for ML. I don't know why she should accept that her husband is obviously in love with somebody else, someone who had rumors with him that the whole city knows about, the love that her husband doesn't even seem to bother hiding from her? It would be REALLY weird if she's not jealous at all.

24 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

She's controlling and suspicious in nature. No maids in her hubby's study showed that she distrust the hubby. Qh knew about her distrust and pointed out to her. 

It wasn't her decision that there's no maid in her hubby's study. QH told her that because he thought she was jealous, but she dismissed that thought, only concerned that he hasn't come to sleep in a proper bedroom with his main wife for a month. It was a legit concern, as a main wife, she has the right to be worry, for her husband's well-being, for her own face (she probably would have to answer to his mother about this, because in this era, it will always be HER fault that her husband doesn't want to sleep with her) and for their relationship, also for the prospect of having any children at all.

With the way he's talking to her, I don't think she's the one who has the "controlling" stance in the marriage, she barely has her husband's attention. In this relationship, it's obvious that QH is the one who has all the power. He can ignore her all he wants, she just has to accept it.

1 hour ago, matrim said:

Hide contents

In chapter 219 of the novel, Madam Liu, the wife of the official responsible for the investigation of the second rebellion, told ML GTW was the leader of bandits who attacked GTY mansion.

Thanks for taking time even giving me the chaper no.  I wasn't doubting of what you mentioned. I trust you. I was just simply stating I don't remember. :D  listened to the audio files and only read first chapter of the book. I might have missed hearing about that GTW part.  

Yesterday, you quoted my post related to viki's translating 东家 as Mr. Sheng but said very similar to what I interpreted/ wrote in the post before checking the subs and mentioned it was inappropriate for ML to call her father as Mr. Sheng. So, I’ll take it as my interpretation was right and the viki's subs are wrong. (Actually, YouTube sub also use Mr. Sheng. They might be using viki's subs since other errors that I noticed and checked are the same though their subs cover chinese subs but viki doesn't.) 

1 hour ago, Golden Flower said:

Thanks for taking time even giving me the chaper no.  I wasn't doubting of what you mentioned. I trust you. I was just simply stating I don't remember. :D  listened to the audio files and only read first chapter of the book. I might have missed hearing about that GTW part.  

Yesterday, you quoted my post related to viki's translating 东家 as Mr. Sheng but said very similar to what I interpreted/ wrote in the post before checking the subs and mentioned it was inappropriate for ML to call her father as Mr. Sheng. So, I’ll take it as my interpretation was right and the viki's subs are wrong. (Actually, YouTube sub also use Mr. Sheng. They might be using viki's subs since other errors that I noticed and checked are the same though their subs cover chinese subs but viki doesn't.) 

You're right. Your interpretation of 东家 was right and viki's subs wrong. No idea why it's been translated like that.

Up to now GTY's behaviors in court are baffling. It seems he tried his best to annoy everyone. By tricking EP into giving up the jade seal to the emperor, he made EP his enemy. Later his plea for leniency in court frustrated the emperor as it's a deviation from the original plan, causing the emperor to lose face. When ML reminded him that generals who boasted military achivements didn't have happy endings, GTY just dismissed it as if it were nothing. What he did now is to purposefully lose the favor of the emperor. This arrogant, rash GTY didn't fit EP's description of him (most intelligent aid of the emperor) at all. It smells fishy. GTY must be cooking something really big. What do you think?

19 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Seems after seeing ML and QH together GTY gets drunk and looses it. He kept asking ML why won't she take him seriously??

And then as if all the other people causing trouble for ML and GTY were not enough... now kang auntie joins the circus. Gifting concubines has suddenly become the trend. Somebody please gift some to QH, so his wife keeps her nose out of other peoples business.

Archived