Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Without any prior knowledge of the novel other than the sypnosis of this drama(since I'm avoiding spoilers), I've reached/finished episode 25. Wow, there's so much good things to unpack about this drama. 

First & foremost, I love Ting Ye & Ming Lan,

not only as an pair (platonically/

romatically) but as individuals. I like how the story unfolds & allows both main characters to have their own unique voice & have relationship w/ other people. It gives room for the main characters to develop as individuals. Even with minimum interactions, ML & TY already have a grasp/understanding of each other, & can relate to eachother on a personal level.

Ting Ye is a very well-written character. He's imperfect but that's one of his finer qualities because it makes him more relatable & likable. This gives him room to develop. I like that he's very experienced/well-adapted to the outside world. He's also understanding, considerate, & responsible, who handles business & take cares of his family well. Another plus side, he kicks major @$$. His interactions with people around him is great. He's a realist, much like Ming Lan. 

Ming Lan is like a sponge & a quiet storm. Much like TY, she adapts well in any environment. I like that she is resilient even under all the scrutiny & challenges she faces. ML is intuitive,cunning, & also caring. It's great that she also thinks about her own well being & isnt written in situation that's degrading or belittling to her character growth. She's starting to break out of her little shell & the way it unfolds is great. Her relationship with her grandmother is endearing. 

ML & TY is great as a duo.

There's depth/dynamic to their interactions, which is based on mutual respect & understanding. I was pretty happy to finally see them engage in conversations. It's so fun to watch, from their light bickering & quiter/intimate moments. Seeing them interact makes me grin ear to ear, especially when TY teases her about marriage. Ming Lan always seem to be at ease when she's with TY & vice versa, since TY very much enjoys her company. They both look so nice being in each other's presence.

• Like 14
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 4

2 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

Without any prior knowledge of the novel other than the sypnosis of this drama(since I'm avoiding spoilers), I've reached/finished episode 25. Wow, there's so much good things to unpack about this drama. 

First & foremost, I love Ting Ye & Ming Lan, not only as an pair(platonically/

romatically) but as individuals. I like how the story unfolds & allows both main characters to have their own unique voice & have relationship w/ other people. It gives room for the main characters to develop as individuals. Even with minimum interactions, ML & TY already have a grasp/understanding of each other, & can relate to eachother on a personal level.

Ting Ye is a very well-written character. He's imperfect but that's one of his finer qualities because it makes him more relatable & likable. This gives him room to develop. I like that he's very experienced/well-adapted to the outside world. He's also understanding,

considerate, & responsible, who handles business & take cares of his family well. Another plus side, he kicks major @$$. His interactions with people around him is great. He's a realist, much like Ming Lan. 

Ming Lan is like a sponge & a quiet storm. Much like TY, she adapts well in any environment. I like that she is resilient even under all the scrutiny & challenges she faces. ML is intuitive,cunning, & also caring. It's great that she also thinks about her own well being & isnt written in situation that's degrading or belittling to her character growth. She's starting to break out of her little shell & the way it unfolds is great. Her relationship with her grandmother is endearing. 

ML & TY is great as a duo. There's depth/dynamic to their interactions, 

which is based on mutual respect & understanding. I was pretty happy to finally seem them engage in conversations. It's so fun to watch, from their small bickering & quiter/intimate moments. Ming Lan always seem to be at ease when she's with TY & vice versa, since TY very much enjoys her company. They both look so nice being in each other's presence. 

Such a well grasp of the characters.. So well written.. Insightful and definitely you know the characters well. I agree 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

If your avoiding spoilers i suggest you not to visit here ;p

Spoilers are posted here every page.

Love what you wrote though so well written , i wish i could write as well as some people here im jealous. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

If your avoiding spoilers i suggest you not to visit here ;p

Spoilers are posted here every page.

Love what you wrote though so well written , i wish i could write as well as some people here im jealous. 

I recently started this drama a week or 2 ago. I noticed this place is filled with heavy spoilers, since I'm a tad behind. I'll keep a blindfold on :crazy:. I need to dump my thoughts somewhere. 

Thank you.

There's so much to say about this drama since it's has an extended cast/list of characters & events happening. I love how it showcases the living/upbringing of ancient china, specifically from a female-centric point of view. So far, I'm really enjoying it, since the plot seems to pick up after episode 25.

43 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

Such a well grasp of the characters.. So well written.. Insightful and definitely you know the characters well. I agree 

Thanks. I really adore the two main leads. Their first interaction was so good. I'm excited to see how the story unfolds for the both of them. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

First & foremost, I love Ting Ye & Ming Lan,

not only as an pair (platonically/

Ting Ye is a very well-written character. He's imperfect but that's one of his finer qualities because it makes him more relatable & likable. This gives him room to develop. I like that he's very experienced/well-adapted to the outside world. He's also understanding,onsiderate, & responsible, who handles business & take cares of his family well. Another plus side, he kicks major @$$. His interactions with people around him is great. He's a realist, much like Ming Lan. 

ML & TY is great as a duo.

There's depth/dynamic to their interactions, which is based on mutual respect & understanding. I was pretty happy to finally seem them engage in conversations. It's so fun to watch, from their small bickering & quiter/intimate moments. Ming Lan always seem to be at ease when she's with TY & vice versa, since TY very much enjoys her company. They both look so nice being in each other's presence. 

I agree with your points here. ML and TY are great characters, both together and separate, they are portrayed very realistically, compared to some dramas I have watched where the characters were a bit two dimensional. 

But personally what I love about their relationship is how TY had always liked and respected ML since they were young. And unlike everyone else, he knew what kind of person she was behind her facade. This was really shown when they were in the Sheng school and he had encouraged her to speak out and debate with her. Everyone was like "oh the shy miss. oh sweet ML does not know very much." and TY was like "Lol, you people have literally no idea. Come on girl, talk!" He liked cracking her shell and when she would dish it back out at him. She would give as good as she got when it came to him and he respected her for that. 

But I think it wasn't till he pulled her out of the river and they started talking about his daughters future, that he truly started to fall for ML. It is clear that with TY, from having such a crappy family life growing up, the key to his heart is family. He mentioned to his Nanny in the beginning that the birth of his children made him feel like he had a place and could for once be loved, when he was always hated and scorned before. Though he had liked MN in the beginning, he did not love her, he did however, love his children. So when ML started advising him to take better care of his daughter, it resonated with him that she cared for and thought well of someone he loved. And where others in her position would look down on a child like his due to birth and circumstance, she never did that once. And it occurred to him that with ML he could have the kind of life and family he has always wanted. So from that moment on, I can see that he viewed her as not just as ML, but as his future spouse. Cause if you watch carefully, his behavior and language towards her changes during their conversation on the beach. And afterwards he behaves much closer with her and starts following her around and taking her safety seriously. 

Anyways, I got caught up and have started blabbing away.

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, guinearoyal said:

I agree with your points here. ML and TY are great characters, both together and separate, they are portrayed very realistically, compared to some dramas I have watched where the characters were a bit two dimensional. 

But personally what I love about their relationship is how TY had always liked and respected ML since they were young. And unlike everyone else, he knew what kind of person she was behind her facade. This was really shown when they were in the Sheng school and he had encouraged her to speak out and debate with her. Everyone was like "oh the shy miss. oh sweet ML does not know very much." and TY was like "Lol, you people have literally no idea. Come on girl, talk!" He liked cracking her shell and when she would dish it back out at him. She would give as good as she got when it came to him and he respected her for that. 

But I think it wasn't till he pulled her out of the river and they started talking about his daughters future, that he truly started to fall for ML. It is clear that with TY, from having such a crappy family life growing up, the key to his heart is family. He mentioned to his Nanny in the beginning that the birth of his children made him feel like he had a place and could for once be loved, when he was always hated and scorned before. Though he had liked MN in the beginning, he did not love her, he did however, love his children. So when ML started advising him to take better care of his daughter, it resonated with him that she cared for and thought well of someone he loved. And where others in her position would look down on a child like his due to birth and circumstance, she never did that once. And it occurred to him that with ML he could have the kind of life and family he has always wanted. So from that moment on, I can see that he viewed her as not just as ML, but as his future spouse. Cause if you watch carefully, his behavior and language towards her changes during their conversation on the beach. And afterwards he behaves much closer with her and starts following her around and taking her safety seriously. 

So cute.. It's always a nice feeling when you know someone have you in his heart for so long, eventually fell in love with you and started to protect you and finally does all he can to marry you with respect.. Their love is so great and relatable 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, guinearoyal said:

I love that school scene so much.

When everyone seem to underestimate ML's ability, TY outright said ML is very capable. Even QH couldn't grasp or connect the dots because he idealize her too much as a romantic partner rather than understanding her as an individual being first. ML & TY both complement each other well. 

• Like 9

I'm really confused about the stepmom's son right now. I read the book before watching drama and in the book he is a villain so since the beginning I always assume he's a bad guy and kinda hate him. Now I'm not sure since he hasn't shown any sign of evil (yet) and the drama seems to derail from the book quite a lot. Did they decide to change his character or what? If they did then I really don't know what to feel. I can say I'm quite prejudiced against him.

• Like 4

A lot of people to be up with all the previews :joy:

I'm going to be talking about episode 46 and 47ish...I think it's fair enough that QH is being diligent with his work but like many others have said, he seems to be a pawn of the ED. Did anyone else notice when GTY coughed purposely when one of the ministers was about to mention QH was married to the previous princess and her father who was the supposed next emperor? I thought it was nice of GTY as he holds the face of QH I think? Correct me if I'm wrong about this, that was the vibe I was getting at... It was really nice when in a much earlier episode, QH prayed for the happiness for the ML and a sense he let go... Thus, I will be pretty disappointed if QH held grudges which affect his line of work as I think his characterisation will go backwards because again he is not thinking how it will affect ML who he obviously still cares about. However, I don't blame him for keeping the dolls as a keepsake. It's not like he was opening them and admiring them. Although he does not love his current wife, he is respectful enough to her and many marriages were arranged/not for love so I don't understand his wife's logic of investigating his past love when she will be the one hurt and QH is not even bringing up ML. :wacko: 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

45 minutes ago, guinearoyal said:

Cause if you watch carefully, his behavior and language towards her changes during their conversation on the beach. And afterwards he behaves much closer with her and starts following her around and taking her safety seriously. 

Most definitely.

I love the scene when he saves her from the bandits & took her under the tent to sit by his side. TY thought of her wellbeing & upholding her status, while giving her a shooting weapon to protect herself & tailing behind her for precaution from a distance, so she can return safely to grandma. What an awesome fellow! He's a keeper.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, hello210 said:

Darn, at 1 ep a day, it’s going seem like it’ll be forever until we see the whole scene between QH and GTY. I don’t really see the relevance of bringing up MN rumors in court. To me that will only make QH seem petty so will wait to see the whole thing. 

To have a good reputation was essential for an official then. Any personal misconduct or family rumor could cost an official's position and political career. QH was a Yu Shi, a supervisory official whose job was to report officials' problems both at work and at home to the emperor. So it's really not a trivial issue. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Hide contents

I think he died in the book due to malnutrition and trailers show GTY crying over a grave im not sure if hes dead yet but he will die.

you see it here she takes them to grave. 

What is being said between GTY and QH ;ooooo 

Thanks :))) but BrUh I hope there's no plot twist and it turns out MN's brother is grooming Chang'e to get revenge on ML and GTY (I saw some1 talking about that in this thread) 

-  IKR I want to see whether GTY will unit with QH (and QH will grow some balls) or if they will be political enemies idk what they are saying BUT omg I'm more interested in ML, RL and fourth sister dynamics ehehe it seems like she will finally be able to stand her ground 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

I'm really confused about the stepmom's son right now. I read the book before watching drama and in the book he is a villain so since the beginning I always assume he's a bad guy and kinda hate him. Now I'm not sure since he hasn't shown any sign of evil (yet) and the drama seems to derail from the book quite a lot. Did they decide to change his character or what? If they did then I really don't know what to feel. I can say I'm quite prejudiced against him.

I just think they made the other brother the villain i dont see the 3rd brother doing anything bad .

42 minutes ago, matrim said:

To have a good reputation was essential for an official then. Any personal misconduct or family rumor could cost an official's position and political career. QH was a Yu Shi, a supervisory official whose job was to report officials' problems both at work and at home to the emperor. So it's really not a trivial issue. 

51 minutes ago, lilkat75 said:

A lot of people to be up with all the previews :joy:

I'm going to be talking about episode 46 and 47ish...I think it's fair enough that QH is being diligent with his work but like many others have said, he seems to be a pawn of the ED. Did anyone else notice when GTY coughed purposely when one of the ministers was about to mention QH was married to the previous princess and her father who was the supposed next emperor? I thought it was nice of GTY as he holds the face of QH I think? Correct me if I'm wrong about this, that was the vibe I was getting at... It was really nice when in a much earlier episode, QH prayed for the happiness for the ML and a sense he let go... Thus, I will be pretty disappointed if QH held grudges which affect his line of work as I think his characterisation will go backwards because again he is not thinking how it will affect ML who he obviously still cares about. However, I don't blame him for keeping the dolls as a keepsake. It's not like he was opening them and admiring them. Although he does not love his current wife, he is respectful enough to her and many marriages were arranged/not for love so I don't understand his wife's logic of investigating his past love when she will be the one hurt and QH is not even bringing up ML. :wacko: 

As lilkat pointed out though GTY coughed to defend QH's honor it seems while QH seems to be working against GTY.. Really not liking QH at all. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, guinearoyal said:

He was pleasantly surprised at her insightful words.He even mentioned why she isn't able to work out her problems regarding marriage given her intelligence and understanding.In hindsight,his mention to ML about thinking of  having a path to retreat in the future wrt marriage had deeper meaning.

She didn't have that and was caught  in the net he cast without a chance of escape from marrying him.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, mingerling said:

Yooo this show is getting hella spicyyyy

https://www.weibo.com/tv/v/HdtOnB0UP?fid=1034:4332128452962200

Spoiler

Omg so much happening i liked the emotion from Wang Ruofu face when ML is have that speech vs SH, it seems like shes really feeling sorry for ML. I also really detest SH and anyone who thinks hes a good father. 

Also the acting from ZLY in that scene and through out this drama really impressed me.

I just want ML to flip out more vs SH shes bottled it up for to long.

This drama will be in my top 5 Chinese drama's ever its just so damn solid i cant really fault anything .

NIF

Story of Yanxi Palace

Ming Lan

10 miles of peach blossoms

Addicted.

The last choice is hard but i really loved addicted. 

• Like 6

Im still amused that both the lead actors (ZLY&FSF) who portrays ML & TY are a couple in real life. Like wow, even these cuties are a couple on & offscreen. I'm so happy for them. 

• Like 11

Just now, greenwatch08 said:

Im still amused that both the lead actors (ZLY&FSF) who portrays ML & TY are a couple in real life. Like wow, even these cuties are a couple on & offscreen. I'm so happy for them. 

Also married and have a child on the way .. so its amazing.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Also married and have a child on the way .. so its amazing.

I didn't know until ep.18 when someone mentioned it in the discussion box on viki. I'm still awestruck. Congrats to them. They are lovely together.

• Like 7