[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

32 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

They lost the chance becoz both of them were too proud to be open toward each other. And the interference of the evil stepmom made the matter worse. Their last interaction where gty open his heart to his father, and his father was coughing blood after hearing his plight. Then, he was prevented to see his father.. Such a devastating moment for gty.. 

Thank you

Well, then he has every right to resent the evil stepmom from preventing him to see his dad one last time.  No doubt she did not want her husband to tell GTY anything for fear that it will prevent her son from inheriting.  Whent he old marquis died, where was her own son?  In a brothel!!!!!!!:triumph:  While poor GTY was waiting outside anxiously!

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, leeza77 said:

Qh's father and mother are right that

Gty and ml are perfect for each other

and wrong that  it's  Ml's  fortune not to be their daughter in law

Well they did ended up with harpies as DIL - first the bratty princess then now this piece of work who is jealous for absolutely no reason.  So if they think they are lucky then they have very short sight.  Well QH mum was a princess herself so it kind of explain (in that era) that she would want her only son to marry someone of their own level for social and political benefits.  I am soooooooooooooooo glad that our little fox did not marry into this family.  It would have been hell for her.

26 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

In the novel the fire happened during the birth of ml 2nd child.. In the drama i think there will be changes.. Bcoz it seems ml gives order to her guards to defend the house during the fire. She didn't seem to be pregnant at that time

Spoiler

In the novel the fire was set when ML was giving birth to her first son, it was stepmother's final attack after the unsuccessful attempt of Manniang's assault. GTY returned just in time and he set fire to the marquis mansion in retaliation. :joy:

No one in this kingdom is reliable.

He is a good man and takes care of me.

This is great

but it’s best not to place too much hopes on him.

Everyone has their predicaments.

Even if you are to put your hopes, don’t make it too much or too deep.

The more hopes you have, the more disappointed you will be.

Once there are too much disappointments, you’ll develop grudges.

Once you bear these grudges all your life, you’ll develop hatred and your days will become unbearable to live.

I love everything that ML said. She has such profound insight I almost believed it is Buddha speaking to me telling me, All life is suffering, suffering is caused by attachments. Lol 

But ML is not Buddha and she doesn’t know what the future will bring. 

Her views may sound pessimistic or untrusting to others but I believe she is someone that doesn’t live for the moment. Because she is like this she understands the ups and downs of life. This is why she is strong minded and if ever a catastrophe falls on her/family. She will be able to pick herself/family back up. This is why I believe she is perfect match to GTY whom I believe is more suspicious of others. 

I think that GTY and ML both misunderstand each other. Their days are long. Patience, prudence, and good communication is all they need and the rest will follow...

If GTY wants to prove that ML is wrong and that he will only love her and will be loyal to her no matter what. Then he best take those words she spoke to heart. You can give and show but don’t expect and put too much hopes on her that it becomes unbearable and you start to resent her. ML is the woman he will share the rest of his life with. He needs to take things one step at a time and not overwhelm her.... The good things he can do/give to her, as long as he stays true to himself will be reciprocated in the long run without asking/expecting. ML is afterall not Buddha or a Saint no matter how hard she tries to be she will notice his efforts... 

3 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

In ep 43, why was GTY got so angry after he was soaked from the rain? I initially just thought its because ML knows it's going to rain but he is still got drenched anyway. But then when ML said that next time she will ride a carriage to pick him up so he won't get drenched, he said its not about this matter and told her he's going to patiently wait. 

I guess he was upset because it started raining and ML didn't think about sending a servant with umbrella for GTY. To a husband that'd feel like the wife doesn't care about him. 

Ep 44. That white lotus battle between ML and GTY  stepmom was totally creepy to me. They make it so natural, especially ML. Lin and Manniang were way too theatrical in comparison. 

I can understand why GTY is so frustrated sometimes. Where does the mask begin and end, especially after his experience with Stepmom and Manniang. 

42 minutes ago, dito said:

I guess he was upset because it started raining and ML didn't think about sending a servant with umbrella for GTY. To a husband that'd feel like the wife doesn't care about him. 

I'm puzzled with this too. ML said she asked someone to send an umbrella tho? 

But he sulked about being on horse and umbrella was useless? 

And then ML said she will bring the carriage next time and make sure he stays dry, he was still sulking and said that's not why he was mad? 

So what was he sulking about?:blink:

10 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

And then ML said she will bring the carriage next time and make sure he stays dry, he was still sulking and said that's not why he was mad? 

It's likely he wanted her to pick him up, but I thought he wanted to have a little fight. He seemed a spoiled sulking child

11 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

@m0us3y @fra8  He was sulking because she did not come to him about the rumors she heard that was about her. Remember that day, RuLan told her what is being said about her and that these gossip monger are still talking about his past who likes to visit Brothels. GTY wants her to be more open so that they can both share their pain , happiness and discuss how their days was.  I hope that makes sense.

5 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

I found this scene hilarious because it’s like reversed roles. GTY is acting like a wife and ML is the husband scratching his head like “can’t she just tell me what she wants instead of playing these guessing games”. 

7 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

I think bcoz he was drenched and sulking, ml supposed to cuddle him.. Make him warm. B)

3 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

I found this scene hilarious because it’s like reversed roles. GTY is acting like a wife and ML is the husband scratching his head like “can’t she just tell me what she wants instead of playing these guessing games”. 

My thought exactly.. 

4 hours ago, hello210 said:

She doesn’t have the right to pass the title. If he wants GTY to marry his wife after he passes, it would be to maintain her and daughter’s status as wife/daughter of Marquis  That would be a way to protect her and probably assuage his guilt that she’ll be widowed young with no son. It would also kind of serve as revenge/reparation for his mom being divorced from his dad so that his dad can marry GTY’s mom for the money.  Maybe when episode airs, it will show that the teaser is just giving us the wrong context and that there is something else behind it like relieving ML of the craziness of their stepmom since he knew Stepmom has been after ML and it will be worse once GTY is Marquis. ML and any wife or future heir will be targets. Those are the only reasons I can see why he would even attempt to ask GTY to separate from ML. The craziness of their stepmom makes me wonder if she hasn’t been aiding in speeding up the brother’s illness and death. 

GTY couldn't marry his brother's wife. It was against the law.

The situation in which his brother asked that question:

His brother was trying to explain to GTY why everyone hated GTY's mother. Back then his grandfather was still the Marquis, his father was very much in love with his first wife. His first wife was a fragile woman and was very sick after giving birth to the eldest son (his brother). The Gu family borrowed a hefty sum of money from the treasury (which is normal at the time), but things happened and the emperor suddenly ordered to inspect the treasury. Everyone had a very short amount of time to pay back the money or the title would be ripped off and there would be heavy punishment. GTY's maternal grandfather (Bai family) was a very rich businessman. Back then businessmen had lots of money but low status. And in usual occasions his mother could never be married off to a noble family. However the situation was tight on Gu family so his grandfather wanted his father to divorce his first wife and propose to Bai family. His father didn't want to but his first wife, after knowing this, couldn't stand the mental pressure and died due to sickness. After that the Gu family proposed to Bai family and GTY's mother was married off as the main wife. However his father neglected his mother and she died after childbirth. Right after that his father married his first wife's cousin (who came from the same family) and his second marriage happened when the Gu family was away from the capital, so few people knew about the second wife. His older brother growing up being told by the stepmom that GTY's mother pressured Gu family to marry her, thus leading to his mother's death, resulted in his hatred. Everyone in the Gu family hated her and  GTY cuz they reminded them of how shameful they were, having to marry a low status woman into their family for money. And bc of his mother, they considered him lower than them (Ridiculous I know).

GTY's brother asked him if he were in his father's situation, would he divorce ML to save his father's life and the whole family.

1 hour ago, gleek49 said:

GTYu (GTYe's brother) only ask GTY if he was willing to divorce his wife, ML, because he was trying to explain their father's situation to his younger brother, you know, try to clear Ye's misunderstanding towards the old Marquis. Its only a question, not a request, the question was in the book actually, I think the whole conversation will go exactly like it did in the book. To me, this part was really touching, because Ye finally understood how his father loved him (he turned out to be his favourite child). I still remembered I was balling every time Ye talked about his father with ML or when I get to read snippet of the old Marquis's letter that he wrote about Ye. It's so sad, I don't know why, but this father-son pair has even more impact on me than ML-grandma pair. At least ML and grandma know that they love each other. 

GTY admitted his father did care for him somehow, but he could never forgive how he mistreated his mother and himself. The Gu family basically survived and lived prosperously due to his mother's money, yet they felt shameful of it, looked down on him and tried to erase her existence after she died. GTY was the son who resembled his father most (thus his favourite but he still couldn't like him due to feeling shameful and guilty) so he was strict on him so he can be on his own in the future. GTY was angry as why he had to be on his own while the others could live happily under Gu family's protection, while in fact Gu family owed him.

5 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

GTY couldn't marry his brother's wife. It was against the law.

The situation in which his brother asked that question:

His brother was trying to explain to GTY why everyone hated GTY's mother. Back then his grandfather was still the Marquis, his father was very much in love with his first wife. His first wife was a fragile woman and was very sick after giving birth to the eldest son (his brother). The Gu family borrowed a hefty sum of money from the treasury (which is normal at the time), but things happened and the emperor suddenly ordered to inspect the treasury. Everyone had a very short amount of time to pay back the money or the title would be ripped off and there would be heavy punishment. GTY's maternal grandfather (Bai family) was a very rich businessman. Back then businessmen had lots of money but low status. And in usual occasions his mother could never be married off to a noble family. However the situation was tight on Gu family so his grandfather wanted his father to divorce his first wife and propose to Bai family. His father didn't want to but his first wife, after knowing this, couldn't stand the mental pressure and died due to sickness. After that the Gu family proposed to Bai family and GTY's mother was married off as the main wife. However his father neglected his mother and she died after childbirth. Right after that his father married his first wife's cousin (who came from the same family) and his second marriage happened when the Gu family was away from the capital, so few people knew about the second wife. His older brother growing up being told by the stepmom that GTY's mother pressured Gu family to marry her, thus leading to his mother's death, resulted in his hatred. Everyone in the Gu family hated her and  GTY cuz they reminded them of how shameful they were, having to marry a low status woman into their family for money. And bc of his mother, they considered him lower than them (Ridiculous I know).

GTY's brother asked him if he were in his father's situation, would he divorce ML to save his father's life and the whole family.

GTY admitted his father did care for him somehow, but he could never forgive how he mistreated his mother and himself. The Gu family basically survived and lived prosperously due to his mother's money, yet they felt shameful of it, looked down on him and tried to erase her existence after she died. GTY was the son who resembled his father most (thus his favourite but he still couldn't like him due to feeling shameful and guilty) so he was strict on him so he can be on his own in the future. GTY was angry as why he had to be on his own while the others could live happily under Gu family's protection, while in fact Gu family owed him.

One word for the whole gu family (except gty of course) : HYPOCRITE 

10 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

One word for the whole gu family (except gty of course) : HYPOCRITE 

Agreed @leeza77.... HOGWASH and you know what they knew that too. They hurt three people  , GTY ‘s mom, GTY and his unborn sibling. Hearing that dumb excuse will not stop the suffering it had caused all these years. Smh smh 

8 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

Agreed @leeza77.... HOGWASH and you know what they knew that too. They hurt three people  , GTY ‘s mom, GTY and his unborn sibling. Hearing that dumb excuse will not stop the suffering it had caused all these years. Smh smh 

GTY didn't have and unborn sibling. His mother died shortly after giving birth to him.

1 hour ago, UnniSarah said:

@m0us3y @fra8  He was sulking because she did not come to him about the rumors she heard that was about her. Remember that day, RuLan told her what is being said about her and that these gossip monger are still talking about his past who likes to visit Brothels. GTY wants her to be more open so that they can both share their pain , happiness and discuss how their days was.  I hope that makes sense.

So it has nothing to do with the rain or him getting drenched? If so why did he say to her that he'll wait for the day she knows what to do on rainy days. Which of course, got ML scratching her head. And I was scratching mine wondering the same...:lol:

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:

I think bcoz he was drenched and sulking, ml supposed to cuddle him.. Make him warm. B)

My thought exactly.. 

Hahahahaha. Actually this probably makes most sense for now. :lol:

1 hour ago, cherubstomato said:

Hahahaha. Ikr! And after he left, she was like he's so much work! One moment angry, another moment happy. Lolol. Totally the wife's role! :lol:

2 hours ago, mooose said:

Ep 44. That white lotus battle between ML and GTY  stepmom was totally creepy to me. They make it so natural, especially ML. Lin and Manniang were way too theatrical in comparison. 

I can understand why GTY is so frustrated sometimes. Where does the mask begin and end, especially after his experience with Stepmom and Manniang. 

Couldn't help laughing when GTY silently mouthed "Zhuang" (pretentious) as he listened to the conversation between ML and his stepmom. Two master manipulators. I think he had mixed feelings about ML's talent on this. On the one hand he admired her cunning as it could be useful in dealing with nuisance like his relatives but on the other he didn't really want ML to show this mask to him. After all, he's fed up with all these tactics he experienced in marquis mansion.

I rewatched the episodes 1 through 4 (English subbed) and when I got to Concubine Wei went into labour and realized that she might die (midwife ran off, other two elders were no way to be found, no hot water etc etc), I cried........Small Minglan ran all the way to find a doctor only t have the doctor said that it was way too late and her baby brother did not survive and her mom won't either.  So sad.  

Then moving forward, Minglan gave GTY the knee pads that her mom made.  I liked the young GTY too.  I bet he will grow up good looking :D (wonder who is the actor).  Little Minglan is adorable.  

You could also see that GTY younger brother actually like him and you could see that they have good relationship if only the stepmom wasn't such an evil person.   

Archived