[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

I was MIA for a long time from soompi coz both my favourites aren't much to be seen.. As far as complains on ZLY n etc etc.. I don't think its right to criticize her even before the show started.. Plus I know ppl have always had the tendency to nitpick abt yingbao instead of avoiding her shows ,they just grumble a lot on her.. I have tried fighting them off but it's pointless.. I hope this thread doesn't end up like ZLY criticism thread.. I hope ppl stick to the show n enjoy discussing abt this show..

I hope Minglan airs soon!! I hope it airs after the rise of phoenixes!! 

Reminder for requesting subs for this drama from viki or DF.. Hope anyone license it before it airs!! 

P. S. This is not to start another reply n fight session.. This is just my opinion! 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, jewelsc said:

@mrsyooknit that still is a sign of 'coming out soon'..we might actually get to see it b4 the yr ends (i hope, i hope..:rolleyes:)

@icyphoenix..pointless, just ignore..i think even our Yingbao has reached a point of ignoring all these 'haters' too, oh, and btw, welcome back :).

rumor has it for December, deep breath, we will see 

The fact that all these historical dramas are going to be airing around the same time will probably not help by the end of it people will have historical drama fatigue like they had modern drama fatigue by mid Summer :lol:

8 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

rumor has it for December, deep breath, we will see 

The fact that all these historical dramas are going to be airing around the same time will probably not help by the end of it people will have historical drama fatigue like they had modern drama fatigue by mid Summer :lol:

Tbh, i'm more into historical and fantasies dramas than modern dramas so the only 'fatique' i'll get is no sleep :P appearing 'red eyes' at work :D in the mornings.

1 hour ago, jewelsc said:

Tbh, i'm more into historical and fantasies dramas than modern dramas so the only 'fatique' i'll get is no sleep :P appearing 'red eyes' at work :D in the mornings.

lol me too since historical cdramas> modern cdramas that feel like I am watching a soap opera 

I'm trying this book again....I gave up before coz I found out QH was not main character....but the trailer had some scenes of FSF which made me curious.

Spoiler

I just finished the part where MingLan tells her husband to stop giving her crap because she loves herself more than anyone else in this world. LOVED....LOVED this so much. Super excited to see this scene. 

I also want to see how they portray the daily life of before and after Ming Lan's marriage. Coz a lot of times it seems nothing much happens...its just regular stuff....maybe they'll make this into slice of life kind of thing. But with princes fighting for throne and some other political stuff thrown in. It does not seem like a palace drama coz there are very few scenes of the palace in the book....and most of them are being narrated from one character to another.  

23 hours ago, vintage_chutzpah said:

how's the book? is the story to gush for? i think i'll read the book first while waiting for the drama

It's not exactly a heart fluttering romantic story. The main character Sheng Ming Lan is such a practical and level headed person that she handles all her relationships in a realistic and sensible way. She is a bit calculative, in that she wants to have a smooth life without any drama. That's why she has cultivated a diplomatic and cordial personality. She does not believe that love conquers all and all that crap.

Major part of the story takes place in Sheng household....with all the drama that ensues when you have a house with the concubine and the main wife fighting each other for power. One of the things to look forward to is MingLan and her grandmother....when their relationship started Ming Lan was not exactly genuine with her but they ended up being the most beautiful pairing of all. 

Later on I also liked how her husband slowly came to understand her better and kind of tried to make her open up to him...coz Minglan had always kept herself confined in the image of perfect wife.....someone who never questions her husband, never gets angry and always listens to him. But Ming Lan took her own time to trust him with her heart and the way she made him understand why she was holding herself back from him was very brilliantly done.

Just so you know....I read it on google translate and I might have skipped a lot...so maybe someone who has read the book and loved it might give you a better review.:)

Actors dubbing the drama

5947c0b5ly1fujnn5iqrej20yi0p0b29.jpg

4deaf5a8ly1fujncekvu8j22vs25su0x.jpg

I also saw these pics going around and :love: production looks so good

d4130a4bgy1fujp58rb50j20qo0zkqcg.jpg

d4130a4bgy1fujp59r1pgj20qo0zkdm3.jpg

d4130a4bgy1fujp5apezbj20qo0zk78v.jpg

d4130a4bgy1fujp5btnafj20qo0zk7cr.jpg

So much attention to detail. Don't let me down Daylight. I am hoping it airs in December like it is rumored. 

@vintage_chutzpah

I only read after they get married and I feel that it was pretty much what dito said. I find Minglan quite interesting because she is so practical and level headed. 

006uByZyly1fuo3vlktf4j318g0xckep.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mrsyooknit said:

Now it just needs to air this year 

Yes....It feels like we've been waiting years....not just one.

I was so disappointed with what they did to HSALF.....I was getting scared for this but I shouldn't since whatever extra they need to add is pretty much already there in the source material....all the sisters and their drama before and after marriage. Main wife and the Concubine conflict, GTY and his drama with his family and his concubine.....QH and his family...Ming Lan and her suitors.....Princes fight for the throne..etc. Should be more than enough for 70, right?

4 minutes ago, dito said:

Yes....It feels like we've been waiting years....not just one.

I was so disappointed with what they did to HSALF.....I was getting scared for this but I shouldn't since whatever extra they need to add is pretty much already there in the source material....all the sisters and their drama before and after marriage. Main wife and the Concubine conflict, GTY and his drama with his family and his concubine.....QH and his family...Ming Lan and her suitors.....Princes fight for the throne..etc. Should be more than enough for 70, right?

It feels like we have been waiting forever but filming just finished early this year. 

I think the original novel pretty much covers all side characters. The main reason I am not worried is that the screenwriters for Minglan are really good. They both worked on Battle of Changsha, which had a really good script. Both dramas seem similar in the sense that they focus on relationships among family members. The main problem with HSALF adaptation is the mess between production and screenwriters deviating from the novel. I also think Minglan book version probably covers more than the drama since it is so long so they will cut some parts. 

It seems like they are still dubbing this. Hopefully post production will be done before November. I don't think they can submit this for SARFT approval until dubbing is complete. I always thought dubbing was done very fast, but I guess since actors are dubbing their own characters it is taking a lot longer to dub the whole drama. I still havent seen any pics of ZLY or FSF dubbing their characters just some supporting actors. On one hand it is good that Daylight is being so detailed oriented and they are def not rushing but on the other I wanted to see it soon. If it doesnt air during December, I don't know when Hunan will have a spot to air it again :tears:

9 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

It seems like they are still dubbing this. Hopefully post production will be done before November. I don't think they can submit this for SARFT approval until dubbing is complete. I always thought dubbing was done very fast, but I guess since actors are dubbing their own characters it is taken a lot longer to dub the whole drama. I still havent seen any pics of ZLY or FSF dubbing their characters just some supporting actors. On one hand it is good that the production is being so detailed oriented and they are def not rushing but on the other I wanted to see it soon. If it doesnt air during December, I don't know when Hunan will have a spot to air it again :tears:

I have a feeling they might air this drama next year. Hunan already has one drama with high production values not doing so well ratings wise. From the comments it seems Chinese viewers find Rise of Phoenixes too slow. If they think palace politics is slow then Minglan would feel even slower since most of it is about household fights and kids growing up.....not much wuxia elements...or even wars...in other words nothing exciting for an average viewer. 

But there are also things in favor of airing it right now. After Guardian, ZYL's popularity has risen considerably... people are eager to see him in another role. ZLY too has lots of people waiting eagerly for her to come back with a bang after PA. Lastly with so many rumors about FSF and ZLY dating going about producers might think this is the right time to cash in on that.

Q: How long does it take for SARFT to clear the drama and give it a go ahead?

57 minutes ago, dito said:

I have a feeling they might air this drama next year. Hunan already has one drama with high production values not doing so well ratings wise. From the comments it seems Chinese viewers find Rise of Phoenixes too slow. If they think palace politics is slow then Minglan would feel even slower since most of it is about household fights and kids growing up.....not much wuxia elements...or even wars...in other words nothing exciting for an average viewer. 

But there are also things in favor of airing it right now. After Guardian, ZYL's popularity has risen considerably... people are eager to see him in another role. ZLY too has lots of people waiting eagerly for her to come back with a bang after PA. Lastly with so many rumors about FSF and ZLY dating going about producers might think this is the right time to cash in on that.

Q: How long does it take for SARFT to clear the drama and give it a go ahead?

honestly, I dont know how long it takes SARFT and they are very mercurial. They have approved very few historical dramas to air on TV this year. On the plus side I believe the story doesnt have any real historical figures which would make it much easier to get approved. 

yeah low ratings for Rise of Phoenixes have been shocking but I read that they completely changed the novel so they lost the initial fanbase from the get go. I don't even know why they bothered in buying an IP if they were planning on doing this. It seems like production was relying on good reviews and the main cast being pretty popular. But I guess it is just not enough to offset people feeling like the plot is slow. 

Daylight always goes for quality > ratings. And I think Nirvana 2 also had pretty low ratings but it was airing on a late time show. For some reason I don't think Minglan will get super low ratings. Apparently script is true to the novel and novel fans seem happy with everything coming out so far so it will retain its original fanbase. Then we have Zhao Liying not having a drama in over a year, rise in popularity for ZYL, and Daylight being very well respected as a production company. Rumors between ZLY and FSF could cause buzz but I doubt they they will be more significant. Timing is also big bc some dramas miss their timing and it can really affect them like Ruyi airing after Yanxi Palace became popular cost them a lot. 

2 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

honestly, I dont know how long it takes SARFT and they are very mercurial. They have approved very few historical dramas to air on TV this year. On the plus side I believe the story doesnt have any real historical figures which would make it much easier to get approved. 

yeah low ratings for Rise of Phoenixes have been shocking but I read that they completely changed the novel so they lost the initial fanbase from the get go. I don't even know why they bothered in buying an IP if they were planning on doing this. It seems like production was relying on good reviews and the main cast being pretty popular. But I guess it is just not enough to offset people feeling like the plot is slow. 

Daylight always goes for quality > ratings. And I think Nirvana 2 also had pretty low ratings but it was airing on a late time show. For some reason I don't think Minglan will get super low ratings. Apparently script is true to the novel and novel fans seem happy with everything coming out so far so it will retain its original fanbase. Then we have Zhao Liying not having a drama in over a year, rise in popularity for ZYL, and Daylight being very well respected as a production company. Rumors between ZLY and FSF could cause buzz but I doubt they they will be more significant. Timing is also big bc some dramas miss their timing and it can really affect them like Ruyi airing after Yanxi Palace became popular cost them a lot. 

You know good writers can make the viewers anticipate every episode, even where nothing happens....and still enjoy it without cribbing about fillers. I have yet to see such episodes in chinese dramas. Last c-drama I watched without ff-ing a single scene was NIF. So anyone connected to that drama in anyway has my good will already. I trust Daylight for quality but not Hunan when it comes to going after ratings.

I'm still LMAO at Ruyi...how could they get stars like that and create so much buzz when filming then get completely over shadowed by the competition just before airing. Heads must have rolled somewhere at that dropped ball. I'm not watching that anyways...I didn't watch Yanxi either...not my cup of tea. I was anticipating HSALF ....got disappointed by the changes and dropped it. Still waiting for ROP to air on netflix. I started reading ROP then stopped when I heard they changed the whole story. The few chapters I read female lead was kickass. Hopefully drama is slowly building her up to that. But yes I agree why buy the rights when you gonna change the whole thing....

3 hours ago, dito said:

You know good writers can make the viewers anticipate every episode, even where nothing happens....and still enjoy it without cribbing about fillers. I have yet to see such episodes in chinese dramas. Last c-drama I watched without ff-ing a single scene was NIF. So anyone connected to that drama in anyway has my good will already. I trust Daylight for quality but not Hunan when it comes to going after ratings.

I'm still LMAO at Ruyi...how could they get stars like that and create so much buzz when filming then get completely over shadowed by the competition just before airing. Heads must have rolled somewhere at that dropped ball. I'm not watching that anyways...I didn't watch Yanxi either...not my cup of tea. I was anticipating HSALF ....got disappointed by the changes and dropped it. Still waiting for ROP to air on netflix. I started reading ROP then stopped when I heard they changed the whole story. The few chapters I read female lead was kickass. Hopefully drama is slowly building her up to that. But yes I agree why buy the rights when you gonna change the whole thing....

Good writers are so hard to find in every country :bawling:  and then you have production changing scripts to please their sponsors and adding fillers :(NIF you couldnt skip anything bc everything was essential to understanding the plot and for other dramas some side character parts are completely irrelevant to the story. I hope I am not jinxing it, but I really like the screenwriters for Minglan. I believe they only have another drama, Battle of Changsha, not sure if it was adapted from a book but I think it was. One of those rare dramas with really good character development. I do admit some parts were slow to me but I think it was due to it being a war drama. I am hoping since the original book has good reviews plus with these two screenwriters produced a great scrip before we will get something of quality. *crosses all fingers*

Hunan does try their best going after ratings. They usually get high ratings but this year has just been a big flop for them. Their main problem is their scissor fingers. I swear they do some of the worse editing. I was hoping Daylight wouldn't sell to them and they had never sold to them before so I am guessing the rumors that they paid a ridiculous amount for this drama are true. Zhao Liying is one of the actresses that gets Hunan good ratings so that along with Daylight made them go full force after this drama. I can only hope that Daylight got some reassurances about what Hunan would do with their final product. Looking at their lineup for this time slot, Minglan is their only big production drama left for this year so I think they are hoping it will do well. If it gets pushed back then it could be a long time before it airs.  

I have seen only a few episodes of Ruyi and I havent seen Yanxi. While Ruyi is not bad from what I have seen, I do think people were expecting a higher quality production but most of the money was probably used up on the main two actors. While Yanxi used up most of their money in production so it comes off more visually appealing. This and ROP should be a wake up call that paying a lot for popular celebs is not enough, you need a well rounded production. A lot of these dramas used up most of their money on two cast members. I do plan on checking ROP out when it starts airing on Netflix but not super excited for it just bc I am not in the mood for its genre. 

Overall, I liked HSALF but I am not at all happy with the script. It could have been so much better and you can really pinpoint where things started going bad. You can skip about ~15 episodes in the middle and miss nothing regarding the main storyline. So many fillers. I can rant about issues with this script forever. Really frustrating since a lot of bts drama came to light and you know production messed up a good story. 

Archived