[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

15 minutes ago, fra8 said:

What imo lacks is that they realize they are in love. They likely don’t care about love or they are afraid of the weakness that love imply. And the realization might happen in different stages hence the drama.

27 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

Finally we are back to 2 episodes a day for 5 days :D . Friday and Saturday are hard...

And I love that subs are only a few episodes behind.!

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Maria Brimstone said:

Huh ... The Gu Eldest Brother actually knows the stepmother is after his title and wishes him dead. At least he's somewhat aware lol

Indeed.  He knew that ML is in for a hard life with those richard simmons and vipers.  It is kind of sad all his life he believed the lies his aunt / stepmom told him about GTY's mum.  He grew up resenting his brother when they could have been best friend.  He as much as admitted to his wife that GTY would have been the best person to inherite since he is sick and has no heir.  The fact that he is also aware of his stepmom's scheme to get her own son to inherite is horrible.  Knwoing that he will not die of old age......:dissapointed_relieved:

9 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

According to wikipedia, he is an only child so this could be someone who resemble him.  Maybe a cousin?

Ha ha.. Yes that cb/gty.. Or fsf/wang renjun. Sorry shouldn't put the question mark but the exclamation mark instead... :D

21 hours ago, Suzzy San said:

:D hhahhahhahhah.. Omg gu tin ye is probably one of the funniest character I've seen in dramas lately.. Plus they are such a natural together. The chemistry is so there, maybe due to their real life relationship, but they make it seem so real that you will think they actually got married in real life then.. Wow.. They are really great actors. Zhao li Ying x feng shao feng :joy:

And the part when he brought out the box with all his properties and her jaw dropped.  She had this box with dowries she got from grandma and she said that was really a lot but it looked tiny compared to GTY properties.  My my, he is loaded.  He even said to ML that he should have a part of Gu fortune as well but he will not fight for it.  Let them have it.  I can well understand.  He doesn't need it anyway. 

Spoiler
31 minutes ago, fra8 said:

I think that love is not a single emotion . It is based on many feelings: respect, admiration, passion, understanding, reliability.  And it happens that in different stages of your life you value these feelings in different ways.

gty offers ml what she values most in that moment after years of hiding herself and the disappointment of qh. So I think there is love or a strong foundation for love. What imo lacks is that they realize they are in love. They likely don’t care about love or they are afraid of the weakness that love implies.And the realization might happen in different stages hence the drama.

Well said. 

And love doesn't always just happens. That's more infatuation. 

Love can bloom slowly, without them actually realising it. 

The fact they are happy shows there's affection between the 2. 

The understanding they have of each other, the side of themselves thats hidden from the world, yet they show each other...

The fact that he's willing to do so much, going the distance because he's not willing to see her live her life under a facade...under a mask...that's caring...

The fact that she believes in his character, an upright person and wouldn't hesitate to defend him with anyone, that's faith..

The admiration they have for each other: ML admires him for his bravery, his resolution, his determination. And GTY admires her foresight, her intelligence, her sensibility. 

The saddest thing for me was she's actually afraid because he's too nice to her, that she's happy. And her fate doesn't deserve that happiness. 

When they have been suffering in silence for so long, happiness could seem fleeting..and scary. Because it feels it would all come to an end. 

As damaged, lonely individuals, they both need to learn to embrace the love and happiness. And I believe that's what they could learn from each other. 

15 minutes ago, fra8 said:

I think that love is not a single emotion . It is based on many feelings: respect, admiration, passion, understanding, reliability.  And it happens that in different stages of your life you value these feelings in different ways.

gty offers ml what she values most in that moment after years of hiding herself and the disappointment of qh. So I think there is love or a strong foundation for love. What imo lacks is that they realize they are in love. They likely don’t care about love or they are afraid of the weakness that love imply. And the realization might happen in different stages hence the drama.

Yes I’m aware there is many aspect of love but the love I’m talking about is romance/passion. That’s why I said they are not “in love” yet romantically. If they were, GTY wouldn’t have a hard time persuading ML for marriage... If someone would be the first to fall in love I think it is GTY...

Though he claims he thought QH moved on from ML he is fully aware those two still have lingering feelings. He knows QH is looking for the right time and opportunity to get ML again so GTY made the opportunity for himself to beat him. He knows ML still have lingering feelings but would move forward and not look back... As long as he captures her first, in time she will forget QH.

All in all I can say that GTY and ML care for each other... We will see how their “feelings” develop later.

7 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

So did the grandfather actually choose GTY as the successor or not? did he steal it. 

Yuzheng started ranting about what?? why was he ranting who towards ;p 

GTY Bai grandfather did chose him as inheritor.  Hence all the papers to proof and the officials read and compared handwriting etc.  And the uncles must have known which is why they hired assassins to kill him.  But they failed.  However to protect himself since he was young, he had to pretend to have made his will.  Hence he was able to survive all these years.  It must have been quite stressful to have people coming at you for inheritance.  Poor GTY.  What a way to spend his childhood.

Spoiler

At the end of the trailer, GTY asked for amiable separation with ML. 

It seems like he doesn't want to drag her into the danger he's in. 

But what did ML said at the very end of the trailer?

Any chingus care to translate please?? 

9 minutes ago, m0us3y said:
  Hide contents

Well said. 

And love doesn't always just happens. That's more infatuation. 

Love can bloom slowly, without them actually realising it. 

The fact they are happy shows there's affection between the 2. 

The understanding they have of each other, the side of themselves thats hidden from the world, yet they show each other...

The fact that he's willing to do so much, going the distance because he's not willing to see her live her life under a facade...under a mask...that's caring...

The fact that she believes in his character, an upright person and wouldn't hesitate to defend him with anyone, that's faith..

The admiration they have for each other: ML admires him for his bravery, his resolution, his determination. And GTY admires her foresight, her intelligence, her sensibility. 

The saddest thing for me was she's actually afraid because he's too nice to her, that she's happy. And her fate doesn't deserve that happiness. 

When they have been suffering in silence for so long, happiness could seem fleeting..and scary. Because it feels it would all come to an end. 

As damaged, lonely individuals, they both need to learn to embrace the love and happiness. And I believe that's what they could learn from each other. 

No one really knows when we start to fall in love with someone only to realize it until you have that passion/desire can’t live without or can’t stop thinking of that person or sometimes pain/jealousy....I believe GTY and ML is not in that stage yet. Otherwise that love and care can easily be described the same as a good brother and sister or best friend would have for each other.

I believe in their time especially for woman like ML they don’t have the luxury to think/hope about sentimental feelings/desires after all it’ll only cause sorrow. Every woman would learn to love their husband eventually. Of course not all can have that kind of love but they still can only be devoted to one man.

It proves to me though the fact that GTY went the distance to get her despite her status and ML became a willing party that they are willing to be with each other whether they realize their feelings sooner or later.

Since we know the kind of man GTY will be for ML, I’m more curious to see how her romantic feelings will develop for him. 

On 1/18/2019 at 4:54 PM, thelonetraveller_18 said:

When it comes to ML, he always sought to protect her and her reputation. Thus I honestly don’t think he would have forced ML to marry him if she’s was determined not to marry him.

I agree. In episode 39 at the polo grounds, before his one on one heartfelt proposal with ML, he asked first for permission to talk to her and said "I am not a person who pesters non-stop, I want to tell you my sincere words, if you still won't agree then I will not bother you anymore". And that is true of his personality. He backs up his words. During the whole courtship, he had been honest with her and she had never really told him no, even when she knew and told her what he did, even when she talked to grandma about it, rather she danced with him until that proposal in the park when she opened up all her fears about being his wife and he reassured her that he wil treat her as an equal. "What my rank is among men, will be yours among among women" and she said YES...

One of the best proposals and scenes

35 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

I agree. In episode 39 at the polo grounds, before his one on one heartfelt proposal with ML, he asked first for permission to talk to her and said "I am not a person who pesters non-stop, I want to tell you my sincere words, if you still won't agree then I will not bother you anymore". And that is true of his personality. He backs up his words. 

And that’s why ML fell for it. She doesn’t want a wishy washy man. Or a man who might forsake her in the future. She wants a man who shares the same values as hers. 

The incident with Dr. He was a good example of ML knowing what she wants. She waited to see what would happen and what his resolve would be and when she didn’t like it at first, it was easy for her to turn away... Even though she had thought about it and willing to accept Cao cousin as a concubine, what I really love that granny said to ML is that she doesn’t want ML to agree to her marriage arrangement just to be filial to her. Thus even though granny disapprove of GTY as long as ML is willing from the bottom of her heart granny will give way the same as she gave way for QH when he had the chance. Ultimately I believe granny had always given ML the final say to whom she will marry.

4 hours ago, dito said:

Basically it's the fault in the writing thats causing confusion and questions about CB's intelligence and knowledge of his sisters.

If they had stuck to the novel in this instance then this confusion wouldn't be happening. In the novel GTY sent the proposal through Hualan's husband and there was no question in their minds that it was RL he was asking for. But they can't do that in the drama since CB and GTY are such good friends.

Agreed. The confusion is mainly caused by changes in adaptation. Probably the director wanted to add some comedy elements in these scenes but the result was somewhat awkward. Actually in the novel GTY didn't mention which daughter, just Sheng's daughter, and Hualan's husband didn't clarify that either. 

4 hours ago, leeza77 said:

We can see through cb's, he acted clumsily. Example he felt in front of gty house and again when he saw rulan and the sweetheart, he just didn't kn9w what to do.. Aiya aiya

He just can't handle conflict and excitement. He is  a scholar but nit necessarily a very deep person in thinking. And he might inherit the brain of the father but the perception of the mother. 

CB's clumsiness is added in the drama. The novel version CB is an intelligent, highly sensible and perceptive man with little humor. In the epilogue CB became prime minister. 

15 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Thanks @leeza77.  Looks like this getting more and more exciting.  I can't wait for more episodes.  I have not been so addicted to good mainland dramas for such a long time now.  Last one was HQG, Shan Shan, Mystic 9 and Korean Jewel in the Palace.  

12 minutes ago, matrim said:

Agreed. The confusion is mainly caused by changes in adaptation. Probably the director wanted to add some comedy elements in these scenes but the result was somewhat awkward. Actually in the novel GTY didn't mention which daughter, just Sheng's daughter, and Hualan's husband didn't clarify that either. 

Which is why I did not read the novel, just watch the drama.  Enjoy the flow :) 

2 hours ago, m0us3y said:
  Reveal hidden contents

At the end of the trailer, GTY asked for amiable separation with ML. 

It seems like he doesn't want to drag her into the danger he's in. 

But what did ML said at the very end of the trailer?

Any chingus care to translate please?? 

Spoiler

At the end ML urged GTY to think carefully about amiable separation, because once it's done, there wouldn't be any turning back and ML wouldn't choose GTY again.

Archived