[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

9 minutes ago, watchumlots said:

GUYS!   GUYS!   GUYS!   

*** --- ***  NEWS FLASH!   *** --- *** 

It's a DRAMA!  

These characters do not exist.  

If someone likes QH over GTY,    OH WELL.  SO WHAT?  

If someone thinks GTY's scheming and plotting is underhanded, SO WHAT? 

If someone thinks QH is weak and whiny, SO WHAT?  

WHAT is the point of debating whether one fictional character's love is more true than another fictional character's?   

These are only fictional characters - they do not exist - and we are all entitled to our own opinions and interpretations.   

Let's share our perceptions to enhance our viewing experience without judgement.  

This is supposed to be FUN!  

Yes, yes, agreed but i thought the debate was the FUN part and it gave us an idea how others view the characters just as long as we don't trade insults or be rude.. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, hello210 said:

There was a YouTube video posted earlier that goes over the poem and it’s title and how it fits into the novel/drama. Basically that the lines describes the domestic life of women during that time. 

Ah okay thanks.  I'll look for that video.  Maybe I need to read the whole poem to understand the meaning better.

Just saw the polo episode. Molan looked more 'sad' than jealous. Her eyes misted over (more like regret) then she picked up that nut...what was that about?

I wanted some high school revenge in ya face richard simmons slappin' but then Molan's eyes just deflated me.

During the wedding scene, when GTY was trying to enter the Sheng house to pick up his bride, his brothers in law were teasing him and not letting him in until he came up with a poem.

Can someone translate the poem?  I'm curious because ML choked on her wine when she heard it and muttered, "how did he know?"

22 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

@tomo74 @gleek49 @m0us3y @hello210 @leeza77

After watching TV epi 40 and complete conversation of GTY and QH, QH did not tell GTY to give up ML because he thinks that GTY doesn’t deserve ML due to his past behavior. Yes, QH sort of implied that to Xiaotao when he said that he wants ML to have good marriage partner during his visit to ML’s house to meet grandma after conversation with GTY. QH didn’t realize that GTY has feelings for ML and planned to marry her till the end of conversation when GTY admitted it. In the beginning, he was trying to ask GTY to back off as he thought that GTY is just marrying ML because he was late in asking for Roulan and just to get married. Of course, he also thought that GTY wouldn’t aim for ML knowing their love history. QH also did not realize ML’s marriage prospect with Dr. He was also because he hid himself at home focusing on his study. 

GTY also lied to QH (1) not knowing QH’s plan to propose marriage to ML again (2) ML and grandma already agreed to his marriage proposal. Of course, He didn’t tell QH about his grand scheme involving RL and imperial couples. After meeting with ML at HL’s house, he asked Shitou whether the exam results came out today and that they should prepare to meet another person, indicating he already knew QH is going to come look for him. (I’m NOT saying GTY is evil for lying to QH as they’re love rival after all.) I’m just saying that he also calculated QH and basically prevented QH from having opportunity to propose again to ML though they’re friends. I’m just not fond of GTY’s attitude of blaming QH not accepting his help to fight off YW’s family power and pretending he was sincere in helping him to be with ML that time while he was already planning to marry ML since he rescued her from river bandits, way before QH’s family was threatened by Yong Wang. 

I do not think that QH was wrong in being angry at GTY or asking GTY to give up based on his knowledge of how GTY’s marriage proposal went for ML (being late for RL then went for ML).

I’m not commenting about things between QH and ML or whether QH deserves ML or whether ML should accept QH.

I’m just saying as friends, GTY was never honest or transparent of his feelings and plans to marry ML towards QH. So, it is normal that QH being angry at him and not believing ML would want to marry GTY. The truth is at the end of their conversation, ML still hasn’t agreed to marry GTY but GTY tried to make QH think that she and grandma already agreed to the marriage.

I am not there yet or viewed episode 40 as I am following the drama on VIKI however this whole QH/GTY/ML marriage triangle discussion has been a hot topic in this thread. If I may give my POV regarding the post above. It seems to me that because QH hid himself in his room studying was uninformed of the world around him, so he knows less but assumes much. GTY at this point has put a plan to marry ML and yes he schemed and maneuvered to expose the weakness of the rival and won. Whether in the conversation with QH, GTY lied or not is a moot point but QH still "thinking" that he, QH,  is now free to marry ML is valid as far as he is concerned, because he is still in love with ML. However, QH is naive to think that he was still considered an "eligible" marriage candidate for ML because he is no longer in the running in the eyes of the Sheng family after the first propasal debacle which was created by QH family. QH mom, the princess is hiding in shame embroidering in her house because people of nobility whom she once associated with, are avoiding her and her family because they think she is crazy and the imperial connection or protection from the new emperor possibly severed and QH was made aware of this by his father. QH mom proposing marriage to the Shengs again is comparable to the Countess mother of Liang 6th son, who wanted ML as a daughter in law to be used as a spear to kill the gossip. So, in the eyes of the Shengs, the princess proposal is akin to using ML as a spear. QH mom's marriage proposal was already doomed to rejection especially when the mother made it clear the first time she was supposed to "propose", that ML was only to be considered as "mei mei" and caused family humiliation (whether the princess was aware or not of what her son told ML).

But it was also reasonable for QH in his point of view, to appeal to GTY to back off thinking at that time that GTY had "no feelings" for ML and GTY first proposed to RL. But even if GTY did not calculate QH and GTY was not in the picture, Dr. He was, and grandma favored Dr. He heavily. Yes, QH did not know that but it would not have mattered whether he knew or not because he would still have proposed and been rejected. I don't see GTY preventing QH from proposing, there was no wall created by GTY or anyone else to block or prevent QH from doing so. QH created that wall himself. It has also been many years 3 to 5 at least, after his failed courtship and marriage proposal to ML and many disastrous events that happened such as war, attempted coup, murders of rivals for the throne etc and new ruling era and ML's family had gone through hardships, scandals and death. Life would have changed for ML and that her mindviews, feelings and environment changing also would have influenced ML and her family's outlook on QH proposal. It is again callow of QH not to think about that. 

GTY had no plans of marrying ML when he rescued her from the river as the only thing on his mind was to find his son. Rather he started seeing ML differently as not the 8 year old he had rescued, but a grown up mature and level headed girl. She gave him something to mull over. He was a vagabond roaming around China with a young daughter in tow, penniless with no prospects. What she said to him at the seaport was like a light bulb suddenly switched on. The next time they met, was when he rescued her from bandits at the funeral. I think this is where he was seeing the acuteness of ML's mind and where his interest in ML as a woman may have been inspired. However, ML pointed out that he was still a foot soldier and that statement may have renewed whatever lost ambition GTY had and reminded him of his duty to family. When he went back to the capital, he took the job of an officer in General Wei's army. Before he left he became a liason for QH/ML breakup. GTY had a talk with QH to size up his determination to marry ML and to see if he would be able to protect ML. He like everyone else was already aware of the gossip being spread about QH/ML and also warned ML when he compared QH/ML to the emperor who could not protect her concubine who committed suicide that QH may not be able to protect her. At that time, GTY was not a good prospect for a husband either compared to when his father was alive and GTY knew that, he had self awareness at least. QH has deep connections to the imperial family, has status power and wealth while GTY is a soldier, thrown out of his family home, and is on his way to war and did not know if he will survive the war or not. GTY offering help to QH during that talk was coming from a man's specifically a warrior's point of view/mindset or brain. Fight or get defeated. Whether it was right in the eyes of the other characters especially QH or not, that is how GTY, warrior man,  sized up the gall or courage of a man. Young, greenhorn, sweet and in love QH gave himself away unknowingly that he was going to be a passive lover. Friendship does not even count anymore, as years have passed. GTY was away fighting rebels in the south, then was involved in the imperial conflict to the throne, while QH got married, his royal relatives in chaos, murders of his imperial relatives and families, wife in laws and a new emperor enthroned and his family dishonored and he lost touch with ML. He is angry with GTY for proposing to QH because they are friends? He got married no matter how it happened, ML returned the dolls, they broke up and it has been years since. If GTY moved in when QH and ML were first courting and in love, then yes, he should be angry. But after he got married, years past and he lost touch with ML and friends, expecting GTY not to fall in love and propose to ML is uncomprehensible. Grandma needs to give QH the book on strategems of war. Come on, someone write this guy some cohones and maturity.... someone??? 

I love the wedding part.  This is probably one of my favourite episode.  Grandma cared for her so much.  She gave a lot of dowry :) I am happy to see more of Hualan too.  The sctress who played this role is pretty.  The new Empress too.  

Did you all see the stepmom's face when the Empress gave GTY her jade hairpin?  Her jaw literally dropped in disbelief :joy::joy::joy:

5 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

That was I was trying to say. There is no guarantee ML would chose him. If she doesn't want to marry him then it is wrong to force her. Whichever era it is, this is still true. He has no rights to decide what's best for her. His plan was not about her, it was about him getting her. He didn't put her first, he was putting himself first. Had he ever counted in her feelings and her choice (and also her Grandma's)? No, he wanted her, so he just had to have her.

I'm not against underhand tactics. I understand that scheming is necessary at some point, but it doesn't mean that it is right. ML is a scheming, manipulative woman, but she understands this, while GTY doesn't. ML actually feels guilty and sad when she has to use people to achieve her goals. I just wanna show anyone who support his method that, if he was okay with being manipulative against ML, then both he and their marriage have issues.

I never said GTY was a gentleman, and I also understand his tragedies and experiences in the past which lead to his result-focused methods. I sympathize with him and I'm also excited to see him on his way of improving himself, seeing ML and GTY bonding after marriage and resolve their issues. I just don't know why many don't realize that his method and his current way of thinking have problems?

Lol. I think the plan was GTY trying to get ML to marry him. In love, I don’t think there was ever such a thing call fairness. GTY schemed and he eventually got the woman he loves.  I think you are putting all the characters on a very high morale pedestal. This is a show which reflects reality of the world and like the real world, humans are inveitably flawed. That is why this show portrays character growth in GTY and also in QH. 

I don’t deny that the method he employed was flawed but at least he did it in a way that protects ML and he has calculated to Ensure no damage was done. When it comes to ML, he always sought to protect her and her reputation. Thus I honestly don’t think he would have forced ML to marry him if she’s was determined not to marry him.

1 hour ago, mooose said:

Just saw the polo episode. Molan looked more 'sad' than jealous. Her eyes misted over (more like regret) then she picked up that nut...what was that about?

I wanted some high school revenge in ya face richard simmons slappin' but then Molan's eyes just deflated me.

The solitary nut was her companion of woe.It felt her anger,regret,despair to crack maybe.... while she held herself up.

Regarding QH vs GTY, I feel there are 2 things in discussion here. QH and GTY's character and personality, and the relationship with ML. They are separate, yet intertwined. That complicated the situation. Add in bias by each of us, we get all the differences in opinions, from our own perspectives. 

Personally, I'm not a fan of QH, but I think I can see where @Golden Flower and @tomo74 are both coming from...

@Arieslazarel summed it up quite nicely. 

As a person, if we look at their characters independently of the consequences of their action, and circumstances, QH as a person, is better. He's filial, kind, honest, rich, honourable, loyal. 

GTY is cunning, a bit of a rascal/scoundrel, manipulative, but responsible, and not that bad a person, but compared to QH, is much more of a flawed character. 

But the reason I am so against QH, and cheered for GTY is probably because their personalities and characters are shown in their actions and as a direct result, impacting their relationship with ML. 

That despite his best efforts, all the sufferings, QH's actions hurt ML. And I personally felt that ML had to pay for the heavy price for QH's actions, which I didn't like. 

He loves ML, and he believes ML loves him too, so naturally, they should be together. That's his math. 

But in it all, he has never tried to stand in her shoes, to understand her, to see from her perspectives, or see how much pain and humiliation he caused her, intentional or not. 

And while GTY lied to multiple people, manipulated some, scam others, there's one thing he didn't do- hurt ML. 

Every step that he made, he considered the impact it might have on ML and her reputation first. 

If GTY really confessed that he likes ML since the water bandit incident and wanted to make her his wife since (clearly I haven't watch), I wouldn't disagree that he may not have been sincere in helping QH, but rather testing him and wanting to see how far QH would go for ML. 

But I personally didnt feel that GTY was trying to discourage ML with the Emperor Ming/ Yang Gui Fei comparison as I felt he was being honest about their situation to her then. 

Every interaction GTY had with ML, the conversation felt sincere, advice given with best interest of the other at heart. 

Some were saying that GTY should have told ML his plan and get her agreement to her hand of marriage. With a 21st century lens, I'd agree. 

But I could see why he wouldn't do it. Because if she did agree, and he failed, he would end up hurting her, giving her hopes and not deliver. 

As much as his plan was fail proof, as ML said in recent episode "human plan, God decides"..

In his case, heaven was on his side.

If we look at only characteristics of them, QH is definitely more ideal. If we only look at the intentions, the means but not the end, QH has been more upright as a person. But if we look at the end, all he ever did was damage to ML. 

And while some of GTY actions were shady, his actions rouge, his end game was getting ML, without hurting her if he fails. 

Im not saying that the end justifies the means, but I am saying that the characteristics of a person drives their actions, and those actions have consequences. And they all matter. 

I think what we don't do in the is forum is watch the drama while concentratting6more on the dialouges. The dialogue are so connected that, if said in one episode, it can be used to explain the other episodes. So I will share an excerpt of ep 37 where they showed us how the grandma will not tolerate any scumbag, whether the person was good like Dr He, or the person truly loves her like QH, and especially one that has a bad reputation already like GTY, to marry her daughter 

So in episode 37,when ML and grandma went to Dr He's house to resolve the issue about Cao cousin, and she saw how they were acting as if ML is there to beg them, even though He has resolved to not marry Cao cousin, the Cao cousin mother was being disrespectful and grandma immediately said ML is an 'outsider' so she shouldn't interfere in their family matters 

So they left, He was now telling his grandmother that he has already decided not to marry Cao cousin but the grandmother said, there is nothing to change her decision and she said and I quote

'I have no way to save it (their marriage) anymore

In their Sheng family, it's always been that old sister of mine making decisions 

Minglan is her doted granddaughter 

If she refuses to marry her off to you, even if you beg His majesty, it won't wwork'

So I think this dialogue explains why GTY still have to scheme even after talking to the emperor about the marriage, he just used, the emperor's name to make sure they don't think otherwise about giving him a Sheng daughter to marry, 

Well he explained all these to ML when she asked him why couldn't he have just asked for her hand directly instead of going round in ep 38..

7 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Regarding QH vs GTY, I feel there are 2 things in discussion here. QH and GTY's character and personality, and the relationship with ML. They are separate, yet intertwined. That complicated the situation. Add in bias by each of us, we get all the differences in opinions, from our own perspectives. 

Personally, I'm not a fan of QH, but I think I can see where @Golden Flower and @tomo74 are both coming from...

@Arieslazarel summed it up quite nicely. 

As a person, if we look at their characters independently of the consequences of their action, and circumstances, QH as a person, is better. He's filial, kind, honest, rich, honourable, loyal. 

GTY is cunning, a bit of a rascal/scoundrel, manipulative, but responsible, and not that bad a person, but compared to QH, is much more of a flawed character. 

But the reason I am so against QH, and cheered for GTY is probably because their personalities and characters are shown in their actions and as a direct result, impacting their relationship with ML. 

That despite his best efforts, all the sufferings, QH's actions hurt ML. And I personally felt that ML had to pay for the heavy price for QH's actions, which I didn't like. 

He loves ML, and he believes ML loves him too, so naturally, they should be together. That's his math. 

But in it all, he has never tried to stand in her shoes, to understand her, to see from her perspectives, or see how much pain and humiliation he caused her, intentional or not. 

And while GTY lied to multiple people, manipulated some, scam others, there's one thing he didn't do- hurt ML. 

Every step that he made, he considered the impact it might have on ML and her reputation first. 

If GTY really confessed that he likes ML since the water bandit incident and wanted to make her his wife since (clearly I haven't watch), I wouldn't disagree that he may not have been sincere in helping QH, but rather testing him and wanting to see how far QH would go for ML. 

But I personally didnt feel that GTY was trying to discourage ML with the Emperor Ming/ Yang Gui Fei comparison as I felt he was being honest about their situation to her then. 

Every interaction GTY had with ML, the conversation felt sincere, advice given with best interest of the other at heart. 

Some were saying that GTY should have told ML his plan and get her agreement to her hand of marriage. With a 21st century lens, I'd agree. 

But I could see why he wouldn't do it. Because if she did agree, and he failed, he would end up hurting her, giving her hopes and not deliver. 

As much as his plan was fail proof, as ML said in recent episode "human plan, God decides"..

In his case, heaven was on his side.

If we look at only characteristics of them, QH is definitely more ideal. If we only look at the intentions, the means but not the end, QH has been more upright as a person. But if we look at the end, all he ever did was damage to ML. 

And while some of GTY actions were shady, his actions rouge, his end game was getting ML, without hurting her if he fails. 

Im not saying that the end justifies the means, but I am saying that the characteristics of a person drives their actions, and those actions have consequences. And they all matter. 

Regarding QH's matter, I think ML's dialogue after leaving Dr He's family when they were pitting the Cao cousin while telling ML to make ways for her, explains how QH's matter can be viewed, she said and I quote 

'

' I'm just mad, I'm getting mader the more I think about it

What? Just because I'm not as pitiful as her, I have to yeild? 

In this world, is it that whoever is more pitiful, he is more reasonable? '

That's one part that explains that no matter the situation, some people might be having it harder too but they are all just trying hard not to be the pitiful one while still holding onto their morals. So in this aspect, QH's pitiness is no reason for him to raised above GTY because, he is just as pitiful as QH.. 

Another dialogue after that explains how ML is now scared of promises, that when Grandma said Dr He still promised not to take Cao cousin as concubine, minglan said

'made a promise? Will that work? 

How many people can really fulfill their promises

As long as his mother begs him, Brother Hong(Dr. He) has a soft heart

He won't really watch as his mother dies from anger' 

So I think this also explains that GTY not promising her anything or telling her about his plans, was not the best thing, but it was what ML truly needed. So I think we shouldn't view GTY as the main lead then but as another prospective man wanting to marry a girl. As such, he just seem to understand the consequences better than her other suitor. And like grandma said 

'We'll go and look at other people' I.e look for other suitor for ML, and fortunately her other one became someone she has understood and share some of her feelings with even though she might have not loved him fully. 

But was Dr. He someone she loves, No, but if something has not happened, she would have married him. So I think in this Era understanding and respect and unity is the main goal of marriage for them.. Love is meant to come after marriage 

Guys I just noticed another thing. When GTY was telling the emperor to give him the wheat for his marriage and the emperor said who is he getting married to, he deliberately said 'the legitimate shield of Sheng family' this statement solved 2 or 3 problems for ML 

1. ML getting a di daughter title since even if they won't marry Rulan to him, they still must marry a legitimate daughter of their family to him and that left them with no choice other than conferring ML a di title. This does not mean the he holds anything against ML being a shy daughter but it's to save people from talking too much about them as like danniang said when Changbai first told them about the description of the girl he wants to his parents and the Dada said 'isn't that minglan' danniang said why would he get married to an illegitimate daughter of their family when he is a legitimate marquis son, does he want people to accuse him. So this is just making people keep shut as no matter what, ml having that tiltle is just for formality truly she is a di daughter. 

2. ML being afraid of people calling her a shu daughter being the big madam of a marquis house... ML gained a lot of respect by saving her family from rumors and taking responsibility for her sister's mistake without any hatred involved. So when she talks, they start to look upto her. So GTY regained her reputation and helped her gain more respect from the society. She will heighten that herself later too

3. GTY did this to further make sure that ML can trust him on his promise of not favoring another woman except her. Like danniang said to Rulan that anybody marrying into that house will immediately be the big steward madam like the position that is highest among wives. Her decision is final. So I think this was the one I liked the most out of all reasons, he made sure she feels secured being as he will keep all his promise and to keep all his promise, ML had to be conferred upon a di title and that's why he deliberately mentioned 'legitimate' to the emperor. 

And also another dialogue that foreshadows the future was when Rulan and minglan were talking in ep 37 and minglan asked that won't Rulan be in some problem in the future by wanting to marry into a poor family home. Rulan said 'where can no problem occur' she now sighted their first daughter hualan whose husband loves her but she encounters a bad MIL and also their Milan who married into a count house but got a misscarige. 

Problems are everywhere and you will surely encounter a lot of problem in a matrimonial house which is nuclear family, not to talk of one which is polygamous. The only thing you can do is to prepare for those raining days ahead of it. And I love how Minglan took that advice dearly because somehow minglan has been someone to want to confront her problems outrightly, instead she goes round and round in order not to encounter her problems. So I love how she became decided on not marrying I to that He house even if it means another batch of rumors spreading. She decided to face her rumors instead of going into a house where she wouldn't even be able to talk out loud. 

Rulan became a favorite of mine during episode 37 and 38. 

Wow I just noticed something again. I thouth the lines that said 'if we are not humans but cats or trees or bugs' in the trailer was said my minglan but Omg it was said by Rulan. In ep 39 when she was talking to minglan. Wow.. That line explains Rulan really, she is spoiled but honest and straightforward. I love her more. What I love about That line was how she said if humans were things or animals, then we can be carefree.. So awesome a line

1 hour ago, Suzzy San said:

I think what we don't do in the is forum is watch the drama while concentratting6more on the dialouges. The dialogue are so connected that, if said in one episode, it can be used to explain the other episodes. So I will share an excerpt of ep 37 where they showed us how the grandma will not tolerate any scumbag, whether the person was good like Dr He, or the person truly loves her like QH, and especially one that has a bad reputation already like GTY, to marry her daughter 

So in episode 37,when ML and grandma went to Dr He's house to resolve the issue about Cao cousin, and she saw how they were acting as if ML is there to beg them, even though He has resolved to not marry Cao cousin, the Cao cousin mother was being disrespectful and grandma immediately said ML is an 'outsider' so she shouldn't interfere in their family matters 

So they left, He was now telling his grandmother that he has already decided not to marry Cao cousin but the grandmother said, there is nothing to change her decision and she said and I quote

'I have no way to save it (their marriage) anymore

In their Sheng family, it's always been that old sister of mine making decisions 

Minglan is her doted granddaughter 

If she refuses to marry her off to you, even if you beg His majesty, it won't wwork'

So I think this dialogue explains why GTY still have to scheme even after talking to the emperor about the marriage, he just used, the emperor's name to make sure they don't think otherwise about giving him a Sheng daughter to marry, 

Well he explained all these to ML when she asked him why couldn't he have just asked for her hand directly instead of going round in ep 38..

@Suzzy Santhank you. Absolutely correct, GTY would have never passed in grandma's eyes either as Dr. He was her favored candidate for ML to marry and ML gets along with him.  Grandma's assessment of the situation, her grandaughters having been involved in scandals that she was now more protective of ML. Even when GTY jokingly asked Chang Bai if he GTY would be considered a good marriage partner for his sisters and he did not specify which, Chang Bai's immediate response was "No Way" and then Chang Bai proceeded to tell him about his family considering proposals already on the table for his sisters and that is how GTY learned about Dr. He. But CB's response alone told GTY the lay of the land and so if he was ever going to marry ML, he had to do some scheming. 

But before that, GTY had been flirting with ML already and had been implying his attraction and intentions for example when he was bandaging her foot before he went to fight the rebellion.  Grandma herself is a formidable opponent and GTY calculated that he did not want to be rejected on his first proposal and become another QH. I do feel sorry for Dr He though, he is such a softie

I'm here to make some resolutions, I don't know how many will agree with me, I've been thinking... Even though truly ML is putting up some defense against her feelings of true love, but somehow she has unconsciously become cold at heart even though she still has compassion for humans. 

I will back this up with two dialouges. 

1.when grandma told her that they have decided not to marry but to adopt Cao cousin as a sister in He family, and grandma was like it's her fault that she is not getting a good match. ML said that He and her doesn't really love each other so she can't really cry for him and they only thing they have is compassion. And grandma was like at a young age how could you have a 'palm tree heart'. That is a cold heart and she said, that's not true. (ep 38)

2. Another one was with Rulan in ep 38 when minglan asked her that she can just forgets the wen scholar, Rulan asked her that if she was able to be with Yanrou after what happened won't she accept it, minglan says 'if I am able to have him, just forget it' judging by ML attitude, this might have been something she just said to not allow Rulan into her personal life too much, but her feelings then didn't even feel stiired by the thought of being with Yanrou. And after Rulan explains the feelings of love to her that the one one loves has to be the one we be with, ML replied with 'I don't understand, I believe we must keep looking forward in life'.. 

However, even though she has not really truly lived someone because the defense she puts against her will Ness is just too much, the high compassion she felt for QH made her she'd tears while returning his gift, those tears were the full closure on her feelings for anyone and also a confirmation to her fears that no one can be relied on.. 

I am so looking forward to how t both GTY and ML will break their defense, because as ML uses her blank face for her defense, GTY uses his laughter as his defense 

Spoiler
52 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

Guys I just noticed another thing. When GTY was telling the emperor to give him the wheat for his marriage and the emperor said who is he getting married to, he deliberately said 'the legitimate shield of Sheng family' this statement solved 2 or 3 problems for ML 

1. ML getting a shu daughter title since even if they won't marry Rulan to him, they still must marry a legitimate daughter of their family to him and that left them with no choice other than conferring ML a shu title. This does not mean the he holds anything against ML being a di daughter but it's to save people from talking too much about them as like danniang said when Changbai first told them about the description of the girl he wants to his parents and the Dada said 'isn't that minglan' danniang said why would he get married to an illegitimate daughter of their family when he is a legitimate marquis son, does he want people to accuse him. So this is just making people keep shut as no matter what, ml having that tiltle is just for formality truly she is a di daughter. 

2. ML being afraid of people calling her a di daughter being the big madam of a marquis house... ML gained a lot of respect by saving her family from rumors and taking responsibility for her sister's mistake without any hatred involved. So when she talks, they start to look upto her. So GTY regained her reputation and helped her gain more respect from the society. She will heighten that herself later too

3. GTY did this to further make sure that ML can trust him on his promise of not favoring another woman except her. Like danniang said to Rulan that anybody marry g into that house will imm8be the big steward madam like the position that is highest among wives. Her decision is final. So I think this was the one I liked the most out of all reasons, he made sure she feels secured being as he will keep all his promise and to keep all his promise, ML had to be conferred upon a Shu title and that why  he deliberately mentioned 'legitimate' to the emperor. 

Isn't the legitimate daughter called di, while the concubine daughters are Shu? Just getting a lil confused with the titles. 

Spoiler
43 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

And also another dialogue that foreshadows the future was when Rulan and minglan were talking in ep 37 and minglan asked that won't Rulan be in some problem in the future by wanting to marry into a poor family home. Rulan said 'where can no problem occur' she now sighted their first daughter hualan whose husband loves her but she encounters a bad MIL and also their Milan who married into a count house but got a misscarige. 

Problems are everywhere and you will surely encounter a lot of problem in a matrimonial house which is nuclear family, not to talk of one which is polygamous. The only thing you can do is to prepare for those raining days ahead of it. And I love how Minglan took that advice dearly because somehow minglan has been someone to want to confront her problems outrightly, instead she goes round and round in order not to encounter her problems. So I love how she became decided on not marrying I to that He house even if it means another batch of rumors spreading. She decided to face her rumors instead of going into a house where she wouldn't even be able to talk out loud. 

Rulan became a favorite of mine during episode 37 and 38. 

Actually, in episode 37, I think she implied she would marry He Family. Regardless of whether the couz is barren. Because she felt that having no love between the husband and wife could mean less pain, less disappointment. And that she and drHe could have a respectful relationship, amiable and harmonious because she will not get jealous as there's no love. 

And that's why grandma was shocked that ML's heart is like an elm tree. Hard and cold. 

ML doesn't seem to see the need of love in her marriage. Just peace. And that's why when Rulan said if she one day finds someone she loves she should fight, and ML Response was she's not in the mood to fight. 

Marriage is about tolerance to her. As long as she can tolerate the lowest characteristic of her husband, and live her life with him...

She's so jaded at such young age....it's sad....:tears:

I just want ML to be happy pleaseeeee

Guys I am finally watching ep 38 and I am finally understanding the plan by GTY in details. Omg hahahahhaha.. My expression is like ML's right now.. Unbelievable, how could a plan be so detailed and without flaw, so progressive that there was even a plan for failure. Omg omg.. We really, even if we don't like it, have to applaud GTY for his unrivaled efforts... What.... This man is scary... ML should brave herself as this is a marriage of two manipulative people.. Power couple indeed.. Hahahahaha

Archived