[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

I find it a bit contradicted that at the polo tournament where QH helped ML out, her reputation has been ruined by rumors that she was trying to aim high in society ( thinking that she was the one who's trying to get QH's attention and caused granma to be more distressed) and when that didn't work out she tried again but was aiming for Liang's 6th son (maybe this is the reason y GTY was trying to save her image bcos he knew this wasn't true) but by giving her this grand wedding, wouldn't that just prove all those rumors?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, tomo74 said:

Now, talk about GTY, people say his best friend is CB, my question, why GTY have to mislead his bestie about marrying his sister, he can honestly say, "hey bro, I like your 6th sister and I plan to marry her, give me your blessing please", instead he just say (I don't know what his exact word, since I'm not up to that episode) I want to marry your sis (even though what he wants is ML), he should knows that his words will mislead CB and the whole Sheng family, lucky enough that RL doesn't like him, can you imagine what happen if RL likes him too, and they agree to let GTY marry RL, and then GTY will tell them, "um... actually I dont want RL, I want ML", if he is a gentlemen with good moral, he won't do that, how RL can live her life after that rejection, isn't he trashing RL reputation (purposely).

I think it’s because GTY already knew the protocol , CB couldn’t help him it was all up to grandmother and ML. GTY with a bad reputation and already having children was a big no no , grandmother would never approve . So with him plotting and planning to marry ML in a manipulative way was necessary to ensure a higher chance for a successful outcome . As far as RL , GTY didn’t set out to trash her reputation , proof is by letting her own brother be the witness instead of someone else . 

15 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I dont think she ever really thought what if he scheme's against me she knows him better then that. 

They talk about it

15 minutes ago, jewelsc said:

I find it a bit contradicted that at the polo tournament where QH helped ML out, her reputation has been ruined by rumors that she was trying to aim high in society ( thinking that she was the one who's trying to get QH's attention and caused granma to be more distressed) and when that didn't work out she tried again but was aiming for Liang's 6th son (maybe this is the reason y GTY was trying to save her image bcos he knew this wasn't true) but by giving her this grand wedding, wouldn't that just prove all those rumors?

By doing this she became dutiful daughter. Everyone knew that the emperor sanctioned GTY’s marriage with Sheng family’s Di daughter but as far as everyone knows Rulan was already promised elsewhere. So Minglan turned out to be the dutiful daughter by marrying GTY

7 hours ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

That's what happened in the novel. Both of them have a trust issue. For ml she has to behave obediently without showing emotion. The one time she show her emotion when she blasting qh for naming his kids with her name.

Spoiler

Ohhhh looorrrdddd!  Don't tell me that QH is dumb enough to name his kid after her in the book!  Is he trying to destroy her reputation?  That will just bring back all the scandal from their past and his baby mama will be pissed when she finds out (if she didn't know who ML was already).  This will do absolutely nothing but cause trouble for ML and himself. :angry:

12 minutes ago, darkphoenix123 said:

Grandma & Minglan talk about the second point. Minglan was a little hesitant because of that. What if in the future he schemes against me? That’s why she was avoiding him until his confession during the polo match. It’s only when he properly proposed that she accepted 

She accepted him but it doesn't mean that her doubt is gone. She accepted him for 2 reasons: 1. She liked him, 2. She understood that he was a suitable match for her. ML and Grandma was okay with it cuz they're both rational people, they knew the situation was set so they try to be the most okay that they could. However she doesn't fully trusts him and that issue lies with them for a long time. I understand that it was an era that you have to be manipulative to succeed, but you can not be all manipulative, especially when it comes to the one you love. For example before when ML included her brother CB in one of her schemes, she cried and drown in guilt although she had no other choice and Grandma supported her. What I don't agree about him is that he thinks of his schemes as a very casual thing and he doesn't show any sense of guilt at all. It's okay to be scheming under certain situations, but when you think scheming is the norm then it's not okay anymore. If he had told ML beforehand (or just hinted that he was actually planning to marry her) then I would have no problems with him at all.

And it is not just my opinion, bc the problem of him not being sincere and truthful enough exists in the book.

You all are forgetting what happened when QH directly wanted to propose and how much ml suffered through that, so she definitely doesn't trust anyone again and she definitely doesn't need someone that just comes to promise her his love, 

You all are forgetting that GTY has been seen as a bad person in the society, even if ML vouches for his character in front of grandma, if he now tries to act all sweet, grandma will not trustvhim the more, as such he could inky show grandma his smartness and make her know he can take care of ML

You guys are forgetting the Era they are, If he just goes on to tell them about Rulan, no kine will even look at him not to talk of giving him minglan. They will just see him as a shameless rumor carrier officer. 

Most importantly, you all are forgetting that ML has feelings and this feelings has been hurt by doing things the pure way. As such, GTY does not want to be another man that promises but couldn't fulfill it.. He does not want to be a burden. So he will better be called a bad person or a schemer than put her in a hard position. Because if ML agrees to marrying him directly it will be purely because he saved her mother and he has helped her before.. That's all, but through this schemes, she understood him more and they have a mutual feelings now than before. 

It's was not a gentleman way on the part of GTY but was GTY ever a gentleman... Or is ML a gentle woman... No.. They are two people that have survived only through schemes and intense plan for the future because they believe that life is full of blacks and whites. 

3 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

You all are forgetting what happened when QH directly wanted to propose and how much ml suffered through that, so she definitely doesn't trust anyone again and she definitely doesn't need someone that just comes to promise her his love, 

You all are forgetting that GTY has been seen as a bad person in the society, even if ML vouches for his character in front of grandma, if he now tries to act all sweet, grandma will not trustvhim the more, as such he could inky show grandma his smartness and make her know he can take care of ML

You guys are forgetting the Era they are, If he just goes on to tell them about Rulan, no kine will even look at him not to talk of giving him minglan. They will just see him as a shameless rumor carrier officer. 

Most importantly, you all are forgetting that ML has feelings and this feelings has been hurt by doing things the pure way. As such, GTY does not want to be another man that promises but couldn't fulfill it.. He does not want to be a burden. So he will better be called a bad person or a schemer than put her in a hard position. Because if ML agrees to marrying him directly it will be purely because he saved her mother and he has helped her before.. That's all, but through this schemes, she understood him more and they have a mutual feelings now than before. 

It's was not a gentleman way on the part of GTY but was GTY ever a gentleman... Or is ML a gentle woman... No.. They are two people that have survived only through schemes and intense plan for the future because they believe that life is full of blacks and whites. 

Nicely said.. Agree with you

6 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

She accepted him but it doesn't mean that her doubt is gone. She accepted him for 2 reasons: 1. She liked him, 2. She understood that he was a suitable match for her. ML and Grandma was okay with it cuz they're both rational people, they knew the situation was set so they try to be the most okay that they could. However she doesn't fully trusts him and that issue lies with them for a long time. I understand that it was an era that you have to be manipulative to succeed, but you can not be all manipulative, especially when it comes to the one you love. For example before when ML included her brother CB in one of her schemes, she cried and drown in guilt although she had no other choice and Grandma supported her. What I don't agree about him is that he thinks of his schemes as a very casual thing and he doesn't show any sense of guilt at all. It's okay to be scheming under certain situations, but when you think scheming is the norm then it's not okay anymore. If he had told ML beforehand (or just hinted that he was actually planning to marry her) then I would have no problems with him at all.

And it is not just my opinion, bc the problem of him not being sincere and truthful enough exists in the book.

You are right that his thoughts that schemes are casual thing is a bad thought and that's why GTY was never portrayed as a pure man in the drama.. He is a rogue from beginning till the end. But we also shouldn't only see that his plans are somehow problematic, no one can be as pure as Chan Bai or QH, we should also see that he is someone who maintains his zeals about life and someone who tries to take responsibility for his thoughts and plans. 

ML and GTY are both the same in terms of scheme and not talking about their true feelings, and that will make them have their first fight which will make their relationship stronger. 

1 hour ago, gleek49 said:

1. If he expose Rulan's scandal first, and then ask for a daughter, then there's no guarantee the family will accept his proposal at all. Cause if he knows about RL before proposing, people would be very confused as to why he insisting on marry a Sheng girl, even after knowing they only have a lowly shu one left. It just makes him look suspicious. He has to push them into the situation where there's no coming back. He has to make them agree to his proposal first, make it known to the whole city that the emperor approves of their match. By pushing them into the corner, even grandma is unable to think of any way out. Sheng family literaly has no other way than to marry Rulan to the scholar and Minglan to him. He has to make it look like both him and the Shengs are on a sinking ship together, that both sides have to compromise; not him holding their neck with the Rulan's affair. Ruthless, I know, but higher chance of success.

2. As I said before, there's no guarantee that Minglan herself would choose him over the obvious easier choice that is Dr. He. What if she still doesn't want to marry him after he confesses to her? As you said, she's very smart, if she knows his intention, she'll be very careful not to be trap by him, she'll even counterattack his plan. Isn't that just shooting himself in the foot?

That was I was trying to say. There is no guarantee ML would chose him. If she doesn't want to marry him then it is wrong to force her. Whichever era it is, this is still true. He has no rights to decide what's best for her. His plan was not about her, it was about him getting her. He didn't put her first, he was putting himself first. Had he ever counted in her feelings and her choice (and also her Grandma's)? No, he wanted her, so he just had to have her.

I'm not against underhand tactics. I understand that scheming is necessary at some point, but it doesn't mean that it is right. ML is a scheming, manipulative woman, but she understands this, while GTY doesn't. ML actually feels guilty and sad when she has to use people to achieve her goals. I just wanna show anyone who support his method that, if he was okay with being manipulative against ML, then both he and their marriage have issues.

I never said GTY was a gentleman, and I also understand his tragedies and experiences in the past which lead to his result-focused methods. I sympathize with him and I'm also excited to see him on his way of improving himself, seeing ML and GTY bonding after marriage and resolve their issues. I just don't know why many don't realize that his method and his current way of thinking have problems?

2 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

That was I was trying to say. There is no guarantee ML would chose him. If she doesn't want to marry him then it is wrong to force her. Whichever era it is, this is still true. His plan was not about her, it was about him getting her. He didn't put her first, he was putting himself first. Had he ever counted in her feelings and her choice (and also her Grandma's)? No, he wanted her, so he just had to have her.

Well, ml agreed and happily married him after hearing the explanation from him.. So, there is no issue anymore about her feeling or choice

46 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

That was I was trying to say. There is no guarantee ML would chose him. If she doesn't want to marry him then it is wrong to force her. Whichever era it is, this is still true. His plan was not about her, it was about him getting her. He didn't put her first, he was putting himself first. Had he ever counted in her feelings and her choice (and also her Grandma's)? No, he wanted her, so he just had to have her.

This plan IS about him getting her. But it doesn't mean that he didn't put her first. He put her first when he offer to help QH, he made it clear that he liked her at this point, but because he knew she liked QH, so he was willing to give her up. He put her first time and time again when he tried to protect her reputation, never asked anything back from her even though he's the one who saved her all the time. He even waits until he's accomplished and successful and worthy enough to ask for her hand. Almost everything he does is for her best interest, so what if he did this one thing for himself?  

Also, I trust his character, (1) if he can't get her to agree to marry him before the wedding, he will not force her. And (2) as we all know very well, he's one of the rare people in the world who truly get her, I think he's aware of that and thus, he sees himself as the best choice for her. So this scheme of "having to get her", can be seen as his own way of offering her the most suitable husband, hence, putting her first. ( The way I worded this may make it sounds like he's too full of himself, but I think we all know that's he not that kind of person.)

23 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

Her doubt is probably not gone. We have a fight between them coming up sometime so this will probably compound that as well...we’ll see

14 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

So sweet.. 

Hide contents

http://p.weibo.com/show/channerWbH5/1034:4329954553599758

Ml so tired and sleepy whilst gty so energetic.. Ha ha

She was yawning & nodding off throughout the whole getting ready part....

17 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

I am not seeing the issue here. He talked to her, explained to her & proposed to her & only then she agreed. She also told her grandma that she felt happy that he went to such lengths for her & then she realized he put Sheng family name at stake & she wanted to slap him. She had no issues, grandma had no issues after....

1 minute ago, nichiwoohee said:

:ph34r:

why am I embarrassed watching this? It’s PG rated 

Hide contents

I wonder if the drama will mention the reason why ML is tired :phew:

Spoiler

Ha ha.. In the novel she imagined that when gty's age reach 40th and she was 30th, then the table will be turned. So, it's him that will be tired while she still energetic.. Lol

Archived