[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, paras said:

Preview of the wedding -

Yeaayyy!! Thank you!! Cant wait for it to be subbed, next on the list should be wedding night :w00t:

Spoiler

From the trailer, CB would have deducted that GTY actually like ML, I mean how can someone be so overly excited to marry unless that was who he was aiming all along

Why the hell is SH crying? Oh now you care about that daughter of yours? Cant trust him, for all I know he’s happy he could save face by marrying minglan off

looks like 3rd Gu son really like his 2nd brother, I’d still be weary tho, that two faced thing of her mom could be hereditary

May I know what polo match is coming? I thought I see GTY in a polo match outfit once in another trailer, but ML’s hair was married style

I also agree about the possible 2nd rebellion, the father emperor is too kind and weak, the son would have been a better pick. There might be an effort to overthrow the emperor, and gty could be saving another crown prince all over again

QH tried to fight for ML, but it was a little too late . I also don’t see anything wrong with talking to GTY. And no I don’t think they were best buds compared to GTY and ML’s brother. I think they respected each other but QH does have a prejudice in regards to GTY’s past. Warranted or not, what matters is that QH is not the man for ML for the actual “present” in the story. 

At the moment QH is one of the least flawed characters in story (aside from the maids). My opinion could change tho in the future. I just think after ML’s successful revenge she became absolutely incompatible with QH or with the Dr. too. 

Time to go watch episode 36 with subs, yeah! :w00t:

17 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

Hahaha.... I'm not in QH's camp, and I do like GTY (now, not the beginning when he is nothing but trouble), I just try to be neutral and follow the story and try to understand each character, I said in the (much) previous comment, people like GTY soooo much, so no matter how bad he is, he's still the hero, and people dislike QH, no matter how he did/do/will do (in his term, base on his personality), he end up zero, no effort, nothing good, etc, it's kinda unfair. I understand why GTY has to trick ML, because it suit his personalty.

I mean its unfair but someone has to lose and that is him, i like GTY more because he actually thinks about ML and wont put her in a bad position. Can you tell me what he generally did that's bad its really only the doctor thing, meanwhile QH caused his own marriage,caused his own servant to die, caused another princess to die. If he did not do what he did at Polo i doubt both princesses would have wanted marriage and even if they did i doubt they would have known about ML to threaten him with that.

He had scheme to marry ML because the grandma would have refused what he did was not the best and no-one thinks that hes without fault's he just has way less then GTY.

Has QH ever stopped and thought what would be best for ML?? He has not because he only care's about what he want's, ML told him over and over to basically stop approaching her but he just could not help him self. 

I actually really liked QH at the start before the dumb Polo mistake and him asking his mother for marriage at the worst point possible. 

If he carry's on after marriage i will hate QH and he cant redeem him self so i hope he stop's. 

14 minutes ago, fra8 said:
  Hide contents

I haven’t watched but if gty said he was not worried about her choosing qh again, I wonder what is going to make him so insecure late.

QH and ML meet and she gets angry or something and GTY basically say's that ML never really shows emotion or her real self in front of him but does to QH? 

2 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Im a man and saying you think men are trash is just sexist and stupid, i do think Sheng Hong is to blame though. 

:D hahaha #sorrynotsorry. i'm not sure if you're saying i'm sexist and stupid or if you're saying that "men are trash" is sexist and stupid, but i will give you the benefit of the doubt and think it's the latter. when i said men (at large or conceptually, not individual men, as I said) are trash i was referring to men that symbolize, represent, and uphold patriarchal systems and ideas that disadvantage women. if you're not a man that falls into that category, then i wasn't talking about you. to me, sheng hong represents what's wrong with patriarchal systems that disadvantage and oppress women. he's flawed and human, but as man with money and authority (relative to women) has the power to favor, judge, punish, and kill the women in his family.  

actually, while not explicitly feminist (in the Western sense), i feel that the show highlights how women understand and negotiate cultural and systemic patriarchy in their lives. this is very telling in one of the earliest scenes when ML and Grandma talk about how men don't allow women to study because its keep women "stupid" (because knowledge is power). why can't QH understand why it's dangerous for ML to be seen interacting with him? well, QH cannot make or is unwilling to see the larger gendered system that privileges men and punishes women. since QH cannot "see through the system," he cannot navigate or negotiate it as well as GTY or any of the powerful and smart women around him. to put it in different terms, QH is kind of like your rich friend who doesn't understand why you can't fly to Bali for Spring Break even though he sees you eat rice and soy sauce everyday to save money (because he thinks you just like to eat rice and soy sauce). 

i hope this explains where i am coming from and the comment wasn't an attack on (individual) men. 

i don't know how other people are watching the show. i planned to just watch the show for entertainment (lmaoo) but couldn't escape watching the show from a sociological and feminist lens. It's sort of an occupational hazard (is that the correct expression?). 

oh btw, women, on a personal level, can be prejudiced against men. perhaps, this is what you mean by sexist. however, in academic discussions of institutional sexism, racism or other isms, "sexism" doesn't mean that women hates men, it means a wider set of beliefs that actively punishes or limits a population based on their gender, usually women. In that sense, there is no sexism against men. Of course, men face problems in our society related to their gender, but these are not usually limited to  men just being men. 

14 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

Hahaha.... I'm not in QH's camp, and I do like GTY (now, not the beginning when he is nothing but trouble), I just try to be neutral and follow the story and try to understand each character, I said in the (much) previous comment, people like GTY soooo much, so no matter how bad he is, he's still the hero, and people dislike QH, no matter how he did/do/will do (in his term, base on his personality), he end up zero, no effort, nothing good, etc, it's kinda unfair. I understand why GTY has to trick ML, because it suit his personalty.

hmm,  i don't think people here treat GTY as a hero, at least i don't. he's the main lead so of course, there are more supporters at the moment for him to be with ML, especially because they're both strong-minded characters. i don't dislike QH, admittedly if i had to choose in real life, i would probably go for GTY because i know he'll really go to hell to protect me. i did pity him a little when he was walking away at the end of episode 40 but i also felt, it was just too late for him. how would anyone (ML especially) know that he was still interested when his own mother had come to say they're "siblings" now? is it unfair to him, in a way, yes but he isn't completely free of faults either. QH lives in a different world from ML, what he is concerned with and what he has had to concern himself with is different from ML. he's had a cushy life and he really thought that because he passed the imperial exam and could win his mother's agreement, he would be able to marry ML. he didn't think of ML's feelings either. 

20 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Yeaayyy!! Thank you!! Cant wait for it to be subbed, next on the list should be wedding night :w00t:

Reveal hidden contents

From the trailer, CB would have deducted that GTY actually like ML, I mean how can someone be so overly excited to marry unless that was who he was aiming all along

Why the hell is SH crying? Oh now you care about that daughter of yours? Cant trust him, for all I know he’s happy he could save face by marrying minglan off

looks like 3rd Gu son really like his 2nd brother, I’d still be weary tho, that two faced thing of her mom could be hereditary

May I know what polo match is coming? I thought I see GTY in a polo match outfit once in another trailer, but ML’s hair was married style

I also agree about the possible 2nd rebellion, the father emperor is too kind and weak, the son would have been a better pick. There might be an effort to overthrow the emperor, and gty could be saving another crown prince all over again

should be the next episode, episode 41. it sounds like, from the teaser, that ML agrees to "battle" with GTY as a duo against the other team to win the hairpin prize from the niang niang. this should happen before their marriage. 

23 minutes ago, mooose said:

He was totally out of line. Before even talking to ML to suss out her feelings, he wants GTY to break off the marriage! Seriously, how big is this boy's bubble? 

His behaviour is only understandable if he knew she was clearly unhappy and still carrying a torch for him. Which she wasn't even.

i do think he should've asked ML how she felt about it but at the same time, during that time period, to go to the Sheng house and ask to meet ML to talk with her would've been very hard. he tries to do afterward and is rejected by both xiaotao and grandma. for sure, QH is in his own bubble where he thinks that ML could only possibly love him and want to marry him but to an extent, i understand that QH reacted based on his emotions. he's always been the type that reacts very visibly to his emotions and he doesn't hide the way he feels because he never has had to before. he doesn't typically get told no and as a male, he's never had to be afraid of being judged the way ML as a female would. i don't like that he went to GTY but based on the fact that he was only told by his mother that GTY proposed marriage to the Shengs for roulan and only got ML because roulan was already promised to someone else, i can understand QH's initial anger and disbelief. it's in line with his character so far in the drama even if i personally do not like that he did it. 

2 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

I'm not sure how much later is that scene in the preview, but due to the book troubles with concubines arised twice. First was right after marriage, stepmom called the pair over and gave them 2 women. They were all GTY's women before ML. One of them was GTY's tongfang maid. In families with status, when a boy came of age, their mother (or grandmother) would send them maids to teach them about s*x. Those maids later would become their concubines after they got married. Those maids were called tongfang maids. The other one was a concubine that GTY's first wife took in on behalf of him. These 2 women took care of Rong'er when she was staying at the Gu family. But there are no first wife and Rong'er doesn't live with Gu family in the drama so I'm not sure if they would keep this scene.

Second time was when GTY was away on the battlefield, ML was pregnant. Stepmom didn't want GTY to have an heir, so she push ML to receive a concubine, trying to shock her into premature birth. But that doesn't seem to fit the scene either. Maybe drama would make a change here and go through with the plot you predicted. It's more common in this type of drama.

Hahaha...I forgot about the maids from his past since he got kicked out in the drama. I remember in the novel he’s expected to take care of them but he never sleeps with them. And didn’t count the first wife since he doesn’t have one in the drama. :D Also, the were women gifted to him by Generals and the prince that he couldn’t refuse but he never used them as bedmates. 

1 hour ago, mayonnaisepan said:

i agree with this!

i don't think QH stepped out of line when he went to have a talk with GTY. like everyone else has said, QH didn't know that GTY did this on purpose, only ML (and grandma) knew. QH was, in his own way, looking out for ML. of course, i expect that QH was hoping against hope that GTY would back down and that QH could still marry ML. QH was angry and he reacted according to that, he was probably also worried because his own mother told him that GTY had wanted to marry roulan and not ML but was a step too late. QH didn't know GTY actually likes ML. 

however, i agree with what you're saying about it being too little, too late. sitou asked GTY why he isn't concerned about QH going to the Sheng family to ask about ML's marriage (which GTY tells QH to do btw) and GTY said, "i was actually worried that ML would choose Dr He however, i knew that no matter what, ML would not choose QH again." 

i also want to do a quick translation of what xiaotao says (on behalf of grandma) to QH because grandma's words sum up what/how i feel about QH in regards to ML. xiaotao tells QH that he won't be seen tonight and when QH says he'll come back another night then, xiaotao says that there is no need. when QH asks why, she says:

xiaotao: grandma says the reason you're seeking an audience is in regards to marriage with ML. grandma says therefore you do not need to waste your time because what you did in the past, she has not forgotten. even though Sheng family is not a high-ranking, noble family and even thought ML is only a shu-daughter, she still has character/backbone. if it's not her place to go then she won't go. (as in, she won't try to aim higher than her status allows her) because if she does so, then she'll just be ridiculed/taken as a joke. the one who proposed marriage was you and the one who rejected the marriage was also you. even though the Sheng house door is small (meaning they aren't a rich family), they still want face (honor). 

then QH says he didn't mean to do all of that then (as in he didn't intend to hurt ML on purpose). 

xiaotao replies: not on purpose?! my lady (ML) refused you many times and you still do not relent. you knew that you couldn't get the marriage done (ie you knew that your mother would not agree to the marriage) so why did you still come to propose marriage? and now you say you had no choice? no matter where ML goes these days, people laugh and ridicule her for trying to aim for higher than she could attain. do you even know of this? 

what xiaotao says/or rather, what grandma says, is how i feel about the whole situation. what QH intended to do does not matter because as the saying goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. what happened as a result of what QH did, is the fact now. he shouldn't expect ML to wait for him when he was the one who gave her the doll back to say he couldn't keep his promise and she too returned her doll to him.  

ML, when asked by her other maid that maybe she should reconsider QH because it's not as if grandma has agreed to marriage with GTY yet, ML says to her, "one should never look backwards." ML is the type of person that once she mades a decision, she sticks to it. once she has decided on one thing, she will not waver. whether that is right or not, is up to her but she looks straight ahead and towards the future. 

Well said :)

43 minutes ago, mayonnaisepan said:

xiaotao: grandma says the reason you're seeking an audience is in regards to marriage with ML. grandma says therefore you do not need to waste your time because what you did in the past, she has not forgotten. even though Sheng family is not a high-ranking, noble family and even thought ML is only a shu-daughter, she still has character/backbone. if it's not her place to go then she won't go. (as in, she won't try to aim higher than her status allows her) because if she does so, then she'll just be ridiculed/taken as a joke. the one who proposed marriage was you and the one who rejected the marriage was also you. even though the Sheng house door is small (meaning they aren't a rich family), they still want face (honor). 

then QH says he didn't mean to do all of that then (as in he didn't intend to hurt ML on purpose). 

xiaotao replies: not on purpose?! my lady (ML) refused you many times and you still do not relent. you knew that you couldn't get the marriage done (ie you knew that your mother would not agree to the marriage) so why did you still come to propose marriage? and now you say you had no choice? no matter where ML goes these days, people laugh and ridicule her for trying to aim for higher than she could attain. do you even know of this? 

what xiaotao says/or rather, what grandma says, is how i feel about the whole situation. what QH intended to do does not matter because as the saying goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. what happened as a result of what QH did, is the fact now. he shouldn't expect ML to wait for him when he was the one who gave her the doll back to say he couldn't keep his promise and she too returned her doll to him.  

ML, when asked by her other maid that maybe she should reconsider QH because it's not as if grandma has agreed to marriage with GTY yet, ML says to her, "one should never look backwards." ML is the type of person that once she mades a decision, she sticks to it. once she has decided on one thing, she will not waver. whether that is right or not, is up to her but she looks straight ahead and towards the future. 

Thanks so so much for translating this scene. I was dying to know what XT was saying to him.This is exactly what I wanted QH to hear from ML but XT is good too.

16 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Has QH ever stopped and thought what would be best for ML?? He has not he only care's about what he want's, ML told him over and over to basically stop approaching her but he just could not help him self. 

I actually really liked QH at the start before the dumb Polo mistake and him asking his mother for marriage at the worst point possible. 

QH and ML meet and she gets angry or something and GTY basically say's that ML never really shows emotion or her real self in front of him but does to QH? 

I get the reason of him going to ask GTY to back off. He was worried about ML...now.

For me, it felt like QH moved on. He was busy trying to make babies. I get it. He was getting his life in order. But they both live in the same goddamn city....did he never hear what people were saying about ML? Did he never feel guilty?

Now that he's free and ready to propose, did he even once have a little sliver of a thought that ML might have moved on too. And making his mother go with the proposal might cause trouble for ML....

for QH, even now its all about him, his thoughts, his wants. 

ML in the drama shows her true nature only in front of GTY and granny. So that argument in the book no longer seems valid. They might change it to GTY being jealous. Even though it doesn't make any sense him  being jealous after saying that he's not worried about QH. Hopefully the writers will give him a proper reason for getting angry.

2 hours ago, darkphoenix123 said:

Minglan confessed to grandma about GTY saving her & Grandma was upset that there was so much Minglan didn’t tell her. But GTY is so excited lol. He is busy decorating his house & preparing for the wedding

No matter how much ML loves granny, and vice versa, we have seen there are many things that ML still keep only to herself. 

It's her way of protecting herself I feel. 

Nobody truly knows what she's thinking sometimes, granny included....

PS. That's very cute of GTY. :lol:

2 hours ago, deslynn88 said:

Agreed.  She is manipulative.  Though I would argue that in that time and environment, she had no other recourse but nonetheless she is. And to be honest, I'm glad she is!  I hate it when the MC gets trampled by all the bad guys and doesn't stick up for herself/himself.  I'm cheering for her all the way.

Comparing her with the MC in Yanxi Palace, Wei Ying Luo, who is also super manipulative, ML is more low-key.  If Granny wasn't so observant about everything concerning ML, no one would know ML's role in bringing down Concubine Lin. 

2 hours ago, minglan1 said:

@ForgottenSoulx I don't  consider ML black hearted because the characters in the drama are far from being black and white.They all have shades of grey some more than less.That's the reason why I like it. A good person can also have a nerve of steel while exacting a ruthless revenge which people might think him/her being incapable of.

I like ML the way she she has been sketched  makes her story so worthwhile to watch.

She's very manipulative. And that was due to her intelligence (U need to be intelligent enough) but more so due to what happened. She lost her innocence long ago. When she witnessed that her mom who lived her live quietly, who wanted nothing, lost her life just like that. 

And while many chingus commented that CL and Molan would get the same ending regardless of whether ML orchestrated the whole thing, which I don't necessarily disagree due to their greed, there's one trait that ML has which is similar to GTY in his quest to get ML. 

She doesn't want to leave it to fate, to a maybe, probably, possibly for CL to get their downfall. 

Doesnt want to leave it to karma, or heaven to deal with CL. And when she knows that no one else will give her justice, she gets it herself. Calculated her moves, she placed everything in its place to ensure that CL and Molan will walk the path she prepared. And she waits for CL to finally die before she tells a single soul. 

She's ready to pay the price, but she will make sure that she gets her revenge first. 

Ruthless, yes. But also very sad. As granny said, someone as young as her had to plan, and execute such things all by herself. So much weight in her heart and no one ever saw her pain...

7 minutes ago, dito said:

They might change it to GTY being jealous. Even though it doesn't make any sense him  being jealous after saying that he's not worried about QH. Hopefully the writers will give him a proper reason for getting angry.

I agree, people get jealous because they feel insecured, that's the bad thing watching the trailer, you dont know the whole story. Like Lin niang's whole life filled with insecurity and greed that cause her done evil things, good thing is GTY is not a villain so must be some explanation behind his anger, while I'm on ep 36, people already talking about ep 40 something.

23 minutes ago, dito said:

ML in the drama shows her true nature only in front of GTY and granny. So that argument in the book no longer seems valid. They might change it to GTY being jealous. Even though it doesn't make any sense him  being jealous after saying that he's not worried about QH. Hopefully the writers will give him a proper reason for getting angry.

We’ll see how they play that part out later. For some reason, i think instead of being jealous of QH, GTY may feel insecure about ML’s feelings. Being married to someone who may be in love with someone else, even if you know they are not the type to do anything wrong, is very hard. There was another drama (main characters married to other people fell in love but never physically cheated) I saw where the viewers said that cheating emotionally is worse than physically doing it (Not implying that ML is going to do that, just an example).

Spoiler
1 hour ago, mayonnaisepan said:

i agree with this!

i don't think QH stepped out of line when he went to have a talk with GTY. like everyone else has said, QH didn't know that GTY did this on purpose, only ML (and grandma) knew. QH was, in his own way, looking out for ML. of course, i expect that QH was hoping against hope that GTY would back down and that QH could still marry ML. QH was angry and he reacted according to that, he was probably also worried because his own mother told him that GTY had wanted to marry roulan and not ML but was a step too late. QH didn't know GTY actually likes ML. 

however, i agree with what you're saying about it being too little, too late. sitou asked GTY why he isn't concerned about QH going to the Sheng family to ask about ML's marriage (which GTY tells QH to do btw) and GTY said, "i was actually worried that ML would choose Dr He however, i knew that no matter what, ML would not choose QH again." 

i also want to do a quick translation of what xiaotao says (on behalf of grandma) to QH because grandma's words sum up what/how i feel about QH in regards to ML. xiaotao tells QH that he won't be seen tonight and when QH says he'll come back another night then, xiaotao says that there is no need. when QH asks why, she says:

Thanks for the translation! And well said! 

My sentiments exactly. 

His intention may be noble, the result of his actions caused harm. And that's fact. 

And the consequences of his action, was paid by her. Not him. 

Spoiler
2 hours ago, crackaddict said:

:D hahaha #sorrynotsorry. i'm not sure if you're saying i'm sexist and stupid or if you're saying that "men are trash" is sexist and stupid, but i will give you the benefit of the doubt and think it's the latter. when i said men (at large or conceptually, not individual men, as I said) are trash i was referring to men that symbolize, represent, and uphold patriarchal systems and ideas that disadvantage women. if you're not a man that falls into that category, then i wasn't talking about you. to me, sheng hong represents what's wrong with patriarchal systems that disadvantage and oppress women. he's flawed and human, but as man with money and authority (relative to women) has the power to favor, judge, punish, and kill the women in his family.  

actually, while not explicitly feminist (in the Western sense), i feel that the show highlights how women understand and negotiate cultural and systemic patriarchy in their lives. this is very telling in one of the earliest scenes when ML and Grandma talk about how men don't allow women to study because its keep women "stupid" (because knowledge is power). why can't QH understand why it's dangerous for ML to be seen interacting with him? well, QH cannot make or is unwilling to see the larger gendered system that privileges men and punishes women. since QH cannot "see through the system," he cannot navigate or negotiate it as well as GTY or any of the powerful and smart women around him. to put it in different terms, QH is kind of like your rich friend who doesn't understand why you can't fly to Bali for Spring Break even though he sees you eat rice and soy sauce everyday to save money (because he thinks you just like to eat rice and soy sauce). 

i hope this explains where i am coming from and the comment wasn't an attack on (individual) men. 

i don't know how other people are watching the show. i planned to just watch the show for entertainment (lmaoo) but couldn't escape watching the show from a sociological and feminist lens. It's sort of an occupational hazard (is that the correct expression?). 

oh btw, women, on a personal level, can be prejudiced against men. perhaps, this is what you mean by sexist. however, in academic discussions of institutional sexism, racism or other isms, "sexism" doesn't mean that women hates men, it means a wider set of beliefs that actively punishes or limits a population based on their gender, usually women. In that sense, there is no sexism against men. Of course, men face problems in our society related to their gender, but these are not usually limited to  men just being men. 

Wow @crackaddict. Very impressive. Very well written, nicely articulated 

Archived