[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, gleek49 said:

The whole conversation (in the trailer) went like this:

QH: You know I love ML, why did you promise to Sheng house that you'll marry her? What do you want?

GTY: You're still thinking about ML? This I'm not aware of.

QH: Last time, when things were not certain, I'd already promise to her and I ended up not keeping the promise and broke her heart. So this time, I wanted to be sure, before come and ask for her again. (Your timing sucks, dude. If you didn't wait, you probably would have won her hand. I mean, GTY went to war for months!!)

GTY: I'm not blaming you, I'm just saying, if you meet obstacles, unable to marry her, then you can't blame me for fighting for her, even if I came later than you.

QH: It's not like you can't live without her?

GTY: How do you know that I can or can't live without her?

QH: How do you know that she's willing to marry you?

GTY: In order to marry her, I overcome all difficulties, fight with my life on the battlefield, pour my blood and risk my life, so that I can achieve what I have today. The result is like this now, if you can't accept that, then you can go ask her, ask her Grandmother!

So he didn't say that GTY was not good enough, he's just convinced that (1) he loves her first, GTY knows his love, so GTY is wrong for coming between them and (2) GTY doesn't love ML as much as him and (3) ML also doesn't want to marry GTY. I guess that this lead to QH go to find ML but was rejected by Grandmother. Probably, at this point, both ML and Grandma has accepted GTY's proposal. QH probably didn't know this, he just thought she was forced because Sheng house ran out of daughters.

I have my opinion, but I don't want to sound biased so I'm leaving this for you guys to interpret and dissect :))

Thank you for the translation. My opinion on QH didn’t change, this conversation is still wrong in so many ways but I won’t go into that cuz to each their own...

4 hours ago, gleek49 said:

In the book, the dynasty was all made up. The old emperor had a lot of sons to choose from: Yong Wang = 3rd prince, Yan Wang = 4th Prince and the new Emperor = 8th prince. The 8th prince was young and reigned for a long time. They are not allowed to portray fictional dynasty in broadcasted drama, so the scriptwriters had to find an actual historic time to fit with the story, that's why we have the drama set in Northern Song period and a father-son duo being emperors instead of just 1 prince. And I think this change is connected to GTY falls from grace arc. Because both of these changes are not in the book.

The reason I'm saying he's too paranoid is that I'm thinking he's going to suspect GTY and him ending up in prison will be because of his paranoia. Notice in ep 35, when the old emperor told the father-son duo about GTY's true heritage, the father's expression particularly worries me. It's like the first seed of distrust was planted that night. About the son, as we can see in ep 34-35, he seemed to fair much better than his father under pressure, much more ambitious and courageous, he wanted to tackle the matter head on like GTY, instead of hiding like his father. So maybe the father will distrust GTY (may be cause by some scheming from his enemy, aka his step mother), hence he ends up in prison, but the father passes away soon after that, the son becomes emperor and help clear GTY's name? Thanks to your insight of history, I'm even more convinced with this theory ;))

I saw the expression too & he had a worrisome expression when the previous emperor told him to never slight GTY & house of Gu & was praising him. GTY will probably go to prison cuz of him but will be released due to Ml & be demoted. He became a foot soldier again right? There will probably be another rebellion & he will be promoted again because of the son,the next emperor

8 hours ago, tomo74 said:

I understand why QH got upset with GTY (for chasing ML), I ask a question to you all, how do you feel if your friend (I'm not sure how close QH with GTY, but the closer the worst) going after your ex (we can say ML is QH's ex) who you still have feeling for? like there are so many girl out there but why you want mine, and in this case, GTY knows exactly QH's case (gave up ML because for her safety, not because he doesn't love/want her anymore). I'm not taking any side (GTY or QH) just not biased toward certain character.

If I were in QH’s shoes and my friend was going after my ex, I would feel sad but I would not go to my friend and ask her to break the relationship. Life never waits for anyone & if I had to be with someone else then I would expect my ex to find someone else sometime & be happy in their life. I will be sad at home but I won’t go confront my friend like QH did here cuz that’s just wrong...

Why QH said those things to GTY:

- Nobody knows GTY was aiming for ML, on the outside ML was just a replacement for Rulan

- People knows that GTY once said he would only marry a di daughter => it's reasonable to assume he doesn't want ML

- GTY still has very bad reputation and now he's more popular just bc people are after his power and influence.

Viewers are supporting GTY bc we knows what is actually happening but from QH (and everyone else in the drama)'s POV, GTY doesn't love ML, is not a good future husband and is marrying ML by chance. Meanwhile QH loves her and his family has his back this time. So his conclusion and demand is justifiable. As long as ML is not married, the fight is still on.

9 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

This is from today’s episode? That guy who interrupted them, is he 6th Liang cuz he kinda looked like him

Just now, darkphoenix123 said:

1& 2 were the cousins from the home town. 3 is Hualan, 4th is Molan, 5th is Rulan & 6th is Minglan. 1 st Sheng son is the cousin brother from home town, 2nd son is CB & 3rd is CF

1st is Hualan, 2nd and 3rd are Shulan and her sister (SH's brother's daughters)

7 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

Maybe someone already explained this and I missed it, but is there a reason why all the girl's name end in "Lan"?

Families usually had one same word given to all children of the same generation. For example Sheng family daughters had Lan, sons had Chang (Chang Bai, Chang Feng), Gu family sons had Ting (Gu Ting Ye, Gu Ting Wei...)

Archived