[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

All about Qi Heng and Minglan (1)
Background information (Based on the drama version)
Set in the Northern Song dynasty, “The story of Minglan" revolves around Sheng Minglan, the unfavoured sixth daughter of an official Sheng Hong. Minglan’s biological mother was one of Sheng Hong’s concubines who died giving birth to her second child, Minglan was 8 years at that time. Minglan was then raised up by her grandmother. Due to her biological mother’s suspicious death, Minglan learned to hide her skills and true intentions.

Sheng Hong is a level five official in the government (A medium level position). The Sheng family’s private school hired a very experienced scholar, Mr. Zhuang, as the private tutor for the family school. Qi Heng, the only son of the Duke of Qi,also studies at the Sheng's family school.

Qi Heng is the heir of the Duke of Qi, by his wife Princess Pingning. Princess Pingning‘s maiden name is “Chai”, which is a very peculiar family name in the Song Dynasty. The Chai family was the ruler of the “Hou Zhou” Dynasty. The "Hou Zhou” Dynasty was overthrown by Zhao Kuangying, the first emperor of the Song Dynasty, in a military coup. To save his reputation,  Zhao Kuangying gave the “Chai” family a title of “Prince”,  but the “Chai” family doesn’t have any real power in the court.  Most of the male members from the Chai family died of unknown reasons. Princess Pingning was adopted by the empress and raised up in the royal court.  The relationship between the Princess and the Empress is also very delicate - they seem pretty close but the royal couple isn't fully trusting Princess Pingning.

Qi Heng falls in love with Minglan, our smart and beautiful female protagonist. Minglan also has a crush on Qi Heng but she could not accept his love because she believes this relationship is doomed and she also doesn’t want her two half-sisters to be jealous of it.

Episode 5 - The first scene of Qi Heng (EP5:0900)
The first scene of Qi Heng starts at EP5:0900 when child actors changed into adult actors. We can see when he is in the same room with her, Qi Heng's eyes always trailing after Minglan like a sunflower follows every moment of the sun.

Episode 5 - the new year’s visit:: Hide and seek(EP5:11:00)
Qi Heng visits the Sheng family to bid for the new year. Sheng Hong, his sons, and Qi Heng are talking about calligraphy in the drawing room while the ladies are sitting at the other end of the room, separated by a folding screen.

While talking to Sheng Hong, Qi Heng’s eyes keep on following Minglan. Seeing her smile or hearing her laugh makes his heart happy.
His valet Buwei moved to the side and blocked his view, Qi Heng is a bit annoyed by Buwei.

Episode 5 - the new year’s visit:: The lie(EP5:14:20)
Buwei asks Qi Heng if he plans to stay for dinner, Qi Heng says the person in charge of the imperial examination will be here tonight so it is better to stay.

Buwei says: You are coaxing, you want to stay at the Sheng House because of sixth Miss.
Qi Heng is a bit mad and scolded Buwei: ”Shut up!” He knows how harmful it could be when a girl’s name is in a gossip.
A few seconds later, Qi Heng couldn't hold back his smile---simply hearing her name makes him happy, it feels like something is touching his heart softly.

Episode 5 - the new year’s visit:: The handkerchief incident (EP5:15:15)
Well, “handkerchief” might not be the best translation of the item he lost. The item is something that people used to tie their underwear in ancient China, and it is also something that couples often use to demonstrate their love to each other. Now you understand why he makes a big fuss about it because he doesn’t want anyone to use it to blackmail him.

Episode 5 - the new year’s visit:: The flower cake (EP5:17:15)
The maids serve flower cakes to the guests,  Minglan takes one and starts eating.  Qi Heng looks at Minglan and takes one and starts eating as well.

Seems that love makes his brain wired and focused on Minglan whenever he sees her or knows her presence, he does the same thing with what Minglan does, and he stays because she’s there, he goes because she left.

Episode 5 - the new year’s visit:: The little detective (EP5:22:01)
Molan framed a maid by putting Qi Heng’s handkerchief to the maid’s outfits and the maid is punished by the Big Madam. Minglan and Yanran started analyzing the case and Minglan came to the conclusion that the maid is innocent. 

Overheard Minglan and Yanran’s conversation, Qi Heng appeared from the back of the rock-work. He looks perfectly calm and collected, and there is a slight touch of pride and of being annoyed on his face. He nodded to Yanran with reservedness and pride, but his eyes become so soft and tender as soon as he sees Minglan. 

As a decent and upstanding young gentleman, Qi Heng's role does not allow exaggerated body languages or strong facial expression. But the expression in his eyes are so different when he faces different people, he’s unable to hide his feelings for Minglan.  Zhu Yilong performed this role brilliantly.

When he is with Minglan, his dreamy eyes are as deep as the ocean,  and there are boundless affection and tenderness in the eyes.
The emotional changes of the role are very natural and smooth, Zhu Yilong’s eyes can talk, for real.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

58 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

Another thing I noticed in the wedding scene is how big ML head piece is, Mo'er head piece was nothing like hers one In compairson you can say she didnt have one.. Man I would have paid money to see the look on her face if she was their to see it all..

Hahaha.... should send a photo or screenshot or a painting of ML's wedding outfit to Molan, and secretly recording her reaction using drone :star:

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

On 1/16/2019 at 8:18 PM, yhl0802 said:
When he is with Minglan, his dreamy eyes are as deep as the ocean,  and there are boundless affection and tenderness in the eyes.
The emotional changes of the role are very natural and smooth, Zhu Yilong’s eyes can talk, for real.

You left out all the :wub::love::heart: ..i think someone will eventually make a video of all the scenes of ZYL's QH of this drama after it's finished airing, well i hope so, and i agree his eyes r very expressive.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, yhl0802 said:

I love what you said but this bit i think shows how power ZYL is as a actor its the reason Guardian was so popular even though it was cut to shreds his eyes gave all the emotion and love you need.

Guardian as a show was beyond terrible but his acting from his eyes basically carried that drama to something other then the worst drama ever ;p

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

4 hours ago, dito said:

QH should realize the entire blame for bringing ML and GTY together lies on his own head.

Who told him to pray for a good husband for ML at the Youqing Monastery?

Thats why they say.... be careful what to wish for, you might actually get it.:lol:

Lol ! Good point !! 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

Episode 34: The graceful and masterful Dance of the Spears and the spear's special sentiment with dad.... but TY is looking mighty good...

Now I understand Ting Ye's sentiment for the spear rewarded to him by the emperor for performing the spear dance when he went to visit the emperor with his father as a young boy.

In the rice fields, he danced the spear dance while defending old Zhao, gracefully turning and whirling as he fends arrows and disables enemies. He was shielding and attacking around old Zhao, protecting him from harm. The late Marguis Gu, was a general who must have specialized in spear fighting and taught the young Ting Ye to become the spear expert he is now. So that spear at the Gu house has a very special value connected to his father. The emperor gave it to him, but he earned it because of the spear dance his father taught him. He also demonstrated his adept warriorship as a young boy when he expertly defended CB and himself from attackers as trained by his father. He is the general's son.  Looking back, it seems to me that Marquis Gu loved Ting Ye who even said that his father dotted on him when he was much younger. The stepmother and stepbrothers succeeded in eroding the trust and respect between father and son to the point where they no longer believed in the other and could not talk without anger. When he did not pass his exam, his father went to the proctor and asked why his son did not pass because the Marquis must have known of his son's abilities and confident that he would pass. He was then told that TY was in top 3 but TY went drinking after the exams and criticized an imperial scholar loudly and was reported to the emperor. He was then taken off the roster by order of the emperor. This made his father so mad, but what parent would not be? What hurt the young TY most through his adulthood, were the drivel and slights being said about his mother which indirectly affects him and his father seems to have not corrected or set people right about it. He had knelt before his father and begged him to say the truth about his mother, but his dad's sudden collapse and the step family's lying, prevented them from this important chance to reconnect. Maybe one day he will take back the Gu manor and reconcile with his dad at the hall of the ancestors and hopefully will regain the title of Marquis bequeathed to him by his father. 

The emperor still remembers GTY's spear dance. Maybe in the long run, it was good that he failed GTY in the exam because he is better as a warrior than an imperial official. Imagine GTY sitting with Chan Bai attending to records and going to the palace discussing court matters daily? He will probably rile up people just to keep things interesting just like he did playing with shooting the arrows into the pot with the 3rd brother staking the Sheng eldest daughter's dowry at her wedding at the starting episodes. He also looks happier, healthier and wiser as a warrior and looks dashing too. ML seems to be looking at Ershu in a deeper way, as if she is finding something special and interesting about him.... 

• Like 11
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, after watching the interactions between GTY and the new Emperor and his son...that son seems a bit power hungry? He was totally gunning for the throne? Is he ever a problem for the Dynasty in the future?

Did the wives of all the military heads all make it through the rebellion? Or were they all killed in that room?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I remember in the polo match, Madam Liang offered to partner with MingLan but QiHeng butted in to take over. Was Madam Liang really that bad that she was rejected like that? They all knew what would happen if MingLan partnered up with him but continued to let them do so. I just found this part a bit weird.

QiHeng's somewhat smart in books but he doesn't know how to be in real life situations. I felt like he never once thought about MingLan's sake but for his own happiness. She gave him countless chances and a lot of "time" but the dude just sat idle and used Concubine Lin's act dead state to threaten others which he clearly didn't master in yet. 

MingLan did say that she won't be disloyal to him as long as he didn't disappoint her. She then continued countless times saying that if he strives forward then she will but if he gives up, so will she. :phew: I'm not even gonna count how many times he had disappointed her. Bruh, did you see his father? He's submissive to his princess wife, that's why we got a beta Qiheng not alpha.:lol:

- He's clearly a mama's boy. No girls wants that (besides status?) because they know they won't be a priority.
- Of course, I hope he can mature over the things he had to go through. (I still feel sorry for his personal servant - was it buwei?)

This drama is quite weird for me, I kinda like it and dislike it at the same time because they could jump scenes very quickly by using a line of dialogue but in some areas they let a scene on and on for a bit. That's why I was like damn, the banquet was over already? Or damn Grandmother already hushed Madam Liang? It's just sometimes I wish there was closure on some unexplained or unseen stuff. Probably many scenes have been filmed but they had to cut it off I guess or they wanted to exclude the unnecessary stuff and let the story progress faster.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Maria Brimstone said:

Okay, after watching the interactions between GTY and the new Emperor and his son...that son seems a bit power hungry? He was totally gunning for the throne? Is he ever a problem for the Dynasty in the future?

Did the wives of all the military heads all make it through the rebellion? Or were they all killed in that room?

I dont think hes power hungry just thought of protecting him self and his family.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, dito said:

About Molan....she will continue practicing her mother's evil teachings for a while. After she came to the Liang house, 2 of Liang 6th son's concubines suffered exactly the same type of difficult births that ML's mom went through. Pretending to be good main wife, feeding the concubines good, over rich food that resulted in babies growing too big in the womb. Not sure if both babies died....or the concubines. But after the second time it happened people started talking and connecting it to Molan.

I'm not sure what they did to her after that ..just read this on the spoiler site.

@dito  Which spoiler site you read this from I would love to check out whats been posted there..  Yes but I can see how people are associating it being connected to her being it was the same method used on ML mom and probably all of these complicated births didn't start not until she entered the home.. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, m0us3y said:

I see a few chingus asking for translation for the meeting between GTY-ML in the Weibo preview, at the start and end. 

Couldn't seem to see any reply so I'll try with my limited understanding. If someone already responded, my apologies for double up. 

GTY: I must get you/ succeed in getting you. Even the heaven pity me, so opens up the opportunity to me. 

ML: That's because heaven is afraid of powerful scary people. :lol:

GTY: seriously, even when I go war, its not this complicated. I had to plan meticulously (strike in the east, while making others think I'll strike the west). Just to get a wife, I had to use all the strategem of war teachings. 

ML: u speak of this so casually. But my 5th sister reputation and sheng's reputation is at stake. 

And she walks away. 

GTY: ehhh...but I'm not done talking yet. 

ML; what do U think I am? A pig? A fish? GTY, U are a rascal! :lol:

Will not translate GTY/QH meeting since it has been translated earlier. 

ML runs to the grandma and told granny that the GTY rascal created such huge ruckus, an elaborate scam, to push me to the corner, run out of options. I'm so angry to I left him and came back. :lol:

The next meeting with GTY bowing down to her is a bit harder to understand. 

GTY: I can't say/promise how great it will for you to be married to me. But I can say this to heaven and earth, that from now on, *I think he said they will both be nobles*. 

Then he bowed and said something that I could hardly understand, but from the minimal understanding it seems like he promised that he will care for her his entire life.

:wub:

That was sweet...

Yoooooooooo minglan had the nerve to mention sheng’s reputation after the scheme she pulled to entrap molan :joy:

see this is the novel’s “you get what you give” concept. A schemer getting schemed by a master schemer indeed

33 minutes ago, Renaro Kopique said:

I remember in the polo match, Madam Liang offered to partner with MingLan but QiHeng butted in to take over. Was Madam Liang really that bad that she was rejected like that? They all knew what would happen if MingLan partnered up with him but continued to let them do so. I just found this part a bit weird.

QiHeng's somewhat smart in books but he doesn't know how to be in real life situations. I felt like he never once thought about MingLan's sake but for his own happiness. She gave him countless chances and a lot of "time" but the dude just sat idle and used Concubine Lin's act dead state to threaten others which he clearly didn't master in yet. 

MingLan did say that she won't be disloyal to him as long as he didn't disappoint her. She then continued countless times saying that if he strives forward then she will but if he gives up, so will she. :phew: I'm not even gonna count how many times he had disappointed her. Bruh, did you see his father? He's submissive to his princess wife, that's why we got a beta Qiheng not alpha.:lol:

- He's clearly a mama's boy. No girls wants that (besides status?) because they know they won't be a priority.
- Of course, I hope he can mature over the things he had to go through. (I still feel sorry for his personal servant - was it buwei?)

This drama is quite weird for me, I kinda like it and dislike it at the same time because they could jump scenes very quickly by using a line of dialogue but in some areas they let a scene on and on for a bit. That's why I was like damn, the banquet was over already? Or damn Grandmother already hushed Madam Liang? It's just sometimes I wish there was closure on some unexplained or unseen stuff. Probably many scenes have been filmed but they had to cut it off I guess or they wanted to exclude the unnecessary stuff and let the story progress faster.

I found the time lapse to be a flaw too.. Like.. how the hell is rong er that big already? When did that happen?

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Yoooooooooo minglan had the nerve to mention sheng’s reputation after the scheme she pulled to entrap molan :joy:

see this is the novel’s “you get what you give” concept. A schemer getting schemed by a master schemer indeed

I found the time lapse to be a flaw too.. Like.. how the hell is rong er that big already? When did that happen?

It is the magic of Song era special diet.It makes Rong grow up in a jiffy.GTY fight multiple soldiers/bandits sucessfully without getting a scratch.:lol:

• LOL 11

22 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Its just a time skip but even then she should not be that big unless like 6+ years have passed from when we last saw her but i dont think thats true? 

She looked at least 12 to me but maybe i didnt see it properly, maybe 9 or something that could make more sense i dunno anymore. I cant remember how old she was before we last saw her and how long has it been since then, 4 year's?

18 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

It is the magic of Song era special diet.It makes Rong grow up in a jiffy.GTY fight multiple soldiers/bandits sucessfully without getting a scratch.:lol:

I can let GTY fighting skills pass considering hes a general's son's and back then people could fight pretty well. 

• Like 5

Just watched epi 34.GTY's step mom is one crafty lady.More conniving than concubine Lin.She will be a headache for ML.

6 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Its just a time skip but even then she should not be that big unless like 6+ years have passed from when we last saw her but i dont think thats true? 

She looked at least 12 to me but maybe i didnt see it properly, maybe 9 or something that could make more sense i dunno anymore. I cant remember how old she was before we last saw her and how long its been since then but maybe 4 years? 

I can let GTY fighting skills pass considering hes a general's son's and back then people could fight pretty well. 

Agree on good fighting skills but facing a barrage of arrows and going scratch free with only a spear as a weapon and not even sporting a sheild. Don't get me wrong it was enjoyable just that the creative license was stretched a bit.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, frenchfan said:

I know.  The grandma should be awarded for her role.  She totally nailed it.  All the expression, emotion.  Epic!

I love ML's Grandma!! The best character both in novel and drama :wub:

10 hours ago, dito said:

Just from the quick look at the previews for tomorrow...QH character growth went down the drain the minute he heard GTY and ML are getting married. The mini tantrum, throwing things....he's gone back to his entitled young master behavior again.....smh...smh.

Hmmm... Would the drama version QH turn evil after GTY got his dream girl?? :ph34r: His reaction in drama is bigger compared to in novel.. QH in novel seems to resigned with his fate not getting ML by getting drunk most of the time..

10 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Exactly this is why GTY said he will fight with everything he has to marry ML. 

Woohooo!!! Fight all the way! The "Best Man Wins" LOL :lol:

7 hours ago, m0us3y said:

GTY: I must get you/ succeed in getting you. Even the heaven pity me, so opens up the opportunity to me. 

ML: That's because heaven is afraid of powerful scary people. :lol:

GTY: seriously, even when I go war, its not this complicated. I had to plan meticulously (strike in the east, while making others think I'll strike the west). Just to get a wife, I had to use all the strategem of war teachings. 

ML: u speak of this so casually. But my 5th sister reputation and sheng's reputation is at stake. 

And she walks away. 

GTY: ehhh...but I'm not done talking yet. 

ML; what do U think I am? A pig? A fish? GTY, U are a rascal! :lol:

ML runs to the grandma and told granny that the GTY rascal created such huge ruckus, an elaborate scam, to push me to the corner, run out of options. I'm so angry to I left him and came back. :lol:

The next meeting with GTY bowing down to her is a bit harder to understand. 

GTY: I can't say/promise how great it will for you to be married to me. But I can say this to heaven and earth, that from now on, *I think he said they will both be nobles*. 

Then he bowed and said something that I could hardly understand, but from the minimal understanding it seems like he promised that he will care for her his entire life.

:wub:

That was sweet...

I love the preview LOL... The way ML get angry with GTY is sooo cute!! hahahaha... :lol: More interaction like this please drama lord *praying* LOL 

6 hours ago, dito said:

QH should realize the entire blame for bringing ML and GTY together lies on his own head.

Who told him to pray for a good husband for ML at the Youqing Monastery?

Thats why they say.... be careful what to wish for, you might actually get it.:lol:

Hahahahaha... Yaa, I remember the scenes where QH prayed for ML to get good husband :joy: His prayer comes true but he throws tantrum when GTY cut his line.. The heaven thinks GTY is better than QH then.. :tounge_wink: Pity QH.. 

On another note, this thread is moving so fast! hihihi.. I love all the comments and opinions shared in here.. Group hug everyone!!! XOXOXO

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

7 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

Just watched epi 34.GTY's step mom is one crafty lady.More conniving than concubine Lin.She will be a headache for ML.

Agree on good fighting skills but facing a barrage of arrows and going scratch free with only a spear as a weapon and not even sporting a sheild. Don't get me wrong it was enjoyable just that the creative license was stretched a bit.

I mean most Chinese drama's exaggerate the fighting so i dont see issues back then they think everyone was a martial arts expert. If he was a general spear solider i would agree with you but drama has made a point to show that he loves the spears and knows spear dance etc.. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

8 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I mean most Chinese drama's exaggerate the fighting so i dont see issues back then they think everyone was a martial arts expert. If he was a general spear solider i would agree with you but drama has made a point to show that he loves the spears and knows spear dance etc.. 

This is my 1st brush with chinese period drama.The production has tried to be realistic in its portrayals so was wondering why does GTY fight sequence mirror fantasy movie fights where the hero gets hulk strength to take down a town of villains all alone.

As you said this is the  norm with martial arts fights in dramas I got more clarity.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

in ep 35, I don't know what strategy that was from the strategems of war that Princess Qi the mother of QHY used to save her life. She saw her in laws killed right before her eyes and she started acting crazy and hysterical and instead of getting killed by the imperial concubine, she got thrown out in the streets. Good thinking lady.... whatever strategy it was, it worked. I am presuming here since the drama did not show how she survived after she got thrown out into the streets but she probably had someone waiting to take her. 

She must have also warned her son Yuan Ruo to stay away and her husband survived too. She seemed to know what was going down. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1