[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

5 minutes ago, dito said:

Just from the quick look at the previews for tomorrow...QH character growth went down the drain the minute he heard GTY and ML are getting married. The mini tantrum, throwing things....he's gone back to his entitled young master behavior again.....smh...smh.

Even his convo. with GTY was all....you're not good enough for her...you betrayed me, like GTY is taking his girl away. Dude, you got married, doesn't matter forced or otherwise.....were even trying for kids....thats means you consummated the marriage. Was ML supposed to wait for you till her hair turned grey.....

Sorry for the rant...I am happy that we'll really get the wedding this week 

GTY had offered to help him marry ML earlier.He had declined and chosen his path to break  way from ML.

Even if he marries ML he can still succumb to pressure and let ML suffer if that is required for his noble household.

I am sure GTY must have given his pearls of wisdom like last time.

Somethings are not destined to be so he needs to walk on the alternate route he chose.

I think by this time GTY also has warmed himself into ML's heart and it is no longer QH's sole domain.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, darkphoenix123 said:

My guess is that she said what her mum wanted to hear to get her off her back about marriage to 6th son of Liang house 

Maybe you are right its hard to know about RL for me at the moment im like 49% like 51% hate.

5 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

GTY had offered to help him marry ML earlier.He had declined and chosen his path to break  way from ML.

Even if he marries ML he can still succumb to pressure and let ML suffer if that is required for his noble household.

I am sure GTY must have given his pearls of wisdom like last time.

Somethings are not destined to be so he needs to walk on the alternate route he chose.

I think by this time GTY also has warmed himself into ML's heart and it is no longer QH's sole domain.

Exactly this is why GTY said he will fight with everything he has to marry ML. 

12 hours ago, darkphoenix123 said:

I love Grandma’s protective streak. I might feel bad for QH but I am so looking forward to his mom being turned down by grandma when she comes to ask for ML’s hand

How the mighty falls.  QH mum was a Princess and so her sight was very high as to whom she wanted as daughter in-law.  After all the heart break and tears......now that everything is over, obviously grandma is not just going to let ML go.  QH was being too unrealistic.  Young puppy love.  

I agree with majority of you that Rulan can be straight forward but she has a softy for ML. I guess because ML always respected her in return.

I love the bromance between CB and GTY… if CB was a girl, I’m sure GTY would’ve liked him at first sight… just like how ML first impression caught GTY to look twice.

I’m getting super excited and can’t wait for ML and GTY to be together. GTY might be a scammer but he was true to his heart and fought for ML regardless of these people blocking his way.

@dito

Thanks for the little translating. I can tell QH is still stuck in his puppy love for ML. He needs to move on and grow up. His tantrum of starving himself the first time didn’t do much because that cause his mother to kill his closest aid. He still didn’t get ML. Forced to get married to save his family and Sheng’s family; I didn’t see any effort from QH to handle the situation. Even GTY was willing to help and was turned down. The only thing our rich little master QH has is support from his mother whom makes the decisions’.  

QH is the 'a fool in love' type, i supposed if i were in his shoes, i'd do the same (seeing how he was brought up as he was - obedient, respectful and gentlemanly while to us he's considered weak and only sees what's on the surface) ..maybe he has this feeling that ML loves him back and he'd thought love can conquer all so i can understand with him again asking his mom to propose but he'd failed to realize that ML has a 'life' of her own and he is not the 'centre' of her being..GTY is the 'take action and ask questions later' type of guy that's y he got ML but QH is like 'good things will come to those who waits' guy..pity life doesn't wait on him.

Neither grandma or Minglan has forgotten how he and his mother let ML down and humiliated her. GTY has supported her from behind. While i guess ML doesn't love GTY yet, they have mutual understanding of eachother and trust. QH is too weakwilled compared to ML and GTY, he would not be able to protect her from his mother.

Wow. I went to bed and then woke up to the big preview and the explosion here with the flurry of posts!!

6 hours ago, frenchfan said:

Well, even though she was 8 at the time, she still remembered how her mum bled to death with her baby brother too big to come and no help around as they stopped everyone from going out to get doctor for the birth. The midwife was drunk (the kitche staff purposedly made her drink until she was too drunk to be of any use), the person sent for hot water never came.....she suffered and she remembered.  Even at that time she knew full well that they were the least favoured but stil Linniang begrudged them.  They had no coals for the winter, not enough food, no allowances......and no one knew because the witch knew how to manipulate.  So yes, ML did orchestrated Linniang's downfall but you could see that she did not showed her hands.  She showed the painting and instead of sprouting vengeance, she just sat there and it unnerved Linniang more because of it.  I must say that she did it all with "style" and "class".   

Hahahaha. Don't get me wrong. Concubine Lin deserved everything she got, if not more. 

I was sick to the stomach when we found out that not only did she pretty much block everyone from helping ML's mom deliver, but she purposely feed the mom all the good food so that the baby would get too big to be delivered. 

And I loved it when ML just stared at her and let her figure out what ML did. And what will happen to Molan. Just cold. But I still love her. :D

The whole scene just goes against the normal drama trope, whereby the "winner" always tell everything that they did to get there. If U get what I mean. 

5 hours ago, darkphoenix123 said:

Seeing his reaction to the news when his mum told him & those scene with GTY I am guessing he really will go down the vengeful ex-lover path! Does QH think before asking anything? I am guessing the news of the marriage between GTY & ML is spread around the town already and if it is broken & ML gets married to QH what would they say about her & the Sheng family? Did he think about that?

QH is simply not capable of thinking beyond "I love ML. thus I should get her and she should marry me" line. 

If he had thought about the consequences of his actions, perhaps ML wouldn't be humiliated, his servant wouldn't die. 

And now he wants to humiliate ML again by having GTY cancel the wedding? 

We thought he'd grow up from the experience with the Family but it seems like he's back to this entitled spoilt kid that throws tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants. 

5 hours ago, Lunkera said:

With GTY she doesn't have to carry her facade all the time since GTY is one of the very few that knows her true self. She will atleast have more freedom as GTY's wife than any other man's wife. Also They have both suffered in their respective families and share true understanding of eachother. They are also both smart and cunning which is why they suit eachother very much. I felt the same way in Yanxi Palace between WYL and QL.

Felt exactly the same way. Of all the guys, only GTY is able to bring the other side out of ML. I like Dr He (he's sweet, don't know if I can still say the same after the couz saga which I haven't watch), but ML will go back to her facade if she marries him...

7 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

Neither grandma or Minglan has forgotten how he and his mother let ML down and humiliated her. GTY has supported her from behind. While i guess ML doesn't love GTY yet, they have mutual understanding of eachother and trust. QH is too weakwilled compared to ML and GTY, he would not be able to protect her from his mother.

Agreed.  Like GTY said earlier, he's been pampered since birth and didn't even have sibling rivalry to worry about.  He simply doesn't know when and how to fight for what he wants because all he ever had to do was ask his parents for something and they would provide it. I hope he matures after ML and GTY's wedding and doesn't turn into a bitter/resentful character.

I can understand QH’s disappointment after everything he has been through and it took mom watching people get slaughtered in front of her eyes to mend her ways. However, it was too late by the time he was widowed, pass imperial exam, and ready to make a proposal.  So I will say, you gave it your best shot the way you knew how, get your frustrated grief out now, cry, throw things in your home, then pick yourself up and continue life. He can keep ML in his heart forever if that’s what he wants but she’s getting married, keep it inside and move forward as a gentleman should. All I’m hoping for is that it ends with just the one little post ML marriage snippet in the trailer and his character doesn’t get ruined by anymore cliches. Still going to love watching this drama though :D

Seriously talking about QH, he is an amazing guy6and a really generous guy that has been misled by his mom and has also let the grand air get to his brain, as such he is a sad character but that's all about him.. Truth be said, if I pity QH it was only when he went to confront princess rong. After that.. I felt nothing for his puppy love again.. Seriously no matter how awesome a guy is, once you are not able to be with a girl, for me that's all.. If you can fight for her without pressurising her, then I support it.. But in some way Ming lan is also a girl that seek to trust a guy for once so there was really no love between them, it was merely an insight and a dreamy wish.. So that's all for me about their love.. At this period, no matter how honest ming lan is, she is also like the other ladies of that period that found QH very awesome and wish to be with him. Fortunately, he fell for her so that makes her a little bit different from the other girls and unfortunately, she is smart and that makes her know that throwing tantrums or blackmailing will not let her be with him and no matt ler what he did she wouldn't be with him.. For me, there was no feeling on the part of ming lan to QH, it was a mere feelings of gratitude for his lovely efforts. 

Now QH wanting to get back to ming lan makes absolutely no sense because no matter how we look at it the situation they once faced hasn't changed, in fact it has worsened. No matter the love, ming lan will still be in trouble because QH is still not independent in his decisions. He is still that young lord who believes in his mother and who believes Ming lan still cares about him like before. He still believes he is the best as he is pure and honest and clean. He believes as long as he shows it, people will still support their love, as long as he is QH, all girls will want to be with him. That's why he could tell GTY that he is not good enough for Ming lan when even though GTY suffered, he took the advice of ming lan to be the best of himself. 

Seriously no matter how I want to at least be in support of their love, the more I could see that there really was no love between them at all.. Yes, ming lan couldn't be really open with him because of what the people might say, but we all know in a situation where ming lan can't do as she wishes she is not MIng lan.. So for me she has never been herself in front of QH even if it's privately.. She was like a girl craving for favor by showing her best self to someone she wants to get.. So for me QH is not fit to be with ML at all, not now, not before and definitely not forever. 

This is the plot the drama gave and this is a drama so we have to be idealistic too. The drama gave us a part where QH was a brave but pitiful lover and they also gave a part where he was a lovely suitor, but a man can't be so perfect.. So they now want to give us an obsessive and irrational lover who wants to prove he can do it by successfully getting married to the girl.. He should let go when the time is right, a while back was the right time, and it's time for this love to end.. As it hold no value anymore. 

This is my take on QH's love... But I have to say he is such a well thought out character for a pitiful love.. 

2 hours ago, darkphoenix123 said:

This was my opinion too. The minute he threw away the bowl beside his mother is when everything started going downhill & I stopped feeling bad for him. Did he expect no one to want to marry ML? When the news is out that she is engaged he wants GTY to break the marriage? Did he think about what everyone will say abt ML if that happens? Was it GTY’s fault that he succeeded where he failed? I was glad when grandma & Xiaotao turned him away

I'm also glad granny refused to see QH and also stopped him from seeing ML.

But it makes me wonder that if ML finds out he came to see her and propose marriage and was turned away, What will her reaction be will she be mad?  Or will she be like....I've moved on so should you.

40 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Wow. I went to bed and then woke up to the big preview and the explosion here with the flurry of posts!!

Hahahaha. Don't get me wrong. Concubine Lin deserved everything she got, if not more. 

I was sick to the stomach when we found out that not only did she pretty much block everyone from helping ML's mom deliver, but she purposely feed the mom all the good food so that the baby would get too big to be delivered. 

And I loved it when ML just stared at her and let her figure out what ML did. And what will happen to Molan. Just cold. But I still love her. :D

QH is simply not capable of thinking beyond "I love ML. thus I should get her and she should marry me" line. 

If he had thought about the consequences of his actions, perhaps ML wouldn't be humiliated, his servant wouldn't die. 

And now he wants to humiliate ML again by having GTY cancel the wedding? 

We thought he'd grow up from the experience with the Family but it seems like he's back to this entitled spoilt kid that throws tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants. 

You know I was starting to kind of pity him after the forced marriage and how the princess was treating him. But something 6th Liang son said made me so upset that all the pity for QH just disappeared. When Liang mama was trying to convince 6th son to marry ML, he said everyone knows she was after QH and maybe already became his concubine....implying that ML and QH already slept together. Just thinking that thats what was being said about ML behind her back and people snickering that she reached too high and had to eat dirt after getting rejected makes me so angry at QH. I mean GTY was absolutely right. QH made promises to her, gave her hope and then crushed them along with her heart. Her reputation was already stained because of him. And its absolutely true no man from a good family would have married her with such nasty rumors associated with her name. HHW was a family friend and only a visitor to the capital. Suppose after engagement his family heard these rumors about ML, family friend or not his mother would not have let this relationship proceed any further.

And now he wants GTY to cancel the wedding....I really wish ML meets him and rejects him to his face so that he comes to his senses fast and stop talking nonsense.

About Molan....she will continue practicing her mother's evil teachings for a while. After she came to the Liang house, 2 of Liang 6th son's concubines suffered exactly the same type of difficult births that ML's mom went through. Pretending to be good main wife, feeding the concubines good, over rich food that resulted in babies growing too big in the womb. Not sure if both babies died....or the concubines. But after the second time it happened people started talking and connecting it to Molan.

I'm not sure what they did to her after that ..just read this on the spoiler site.

I see a few chingus asking for translation for the meeting between GTY-ML in the Weibo preview, at the start and end. 

Couldn't seem to see any reply so I'll try with my limited understanding. If someone already responded, my apologies for double up. 

GTY: I must get you/ succeed in getting you. Even the heaven pity me, so opens up the opportunity to me. 

ML: That's because heaven is afraid of powerful scary people. :lol:

GTY: seriously, even when I go war, its not this complicated. I had to plan meticulously (strike in the east, while making others think I'll strike the west). Just to get a wife, I had to use all the strategem of war teachings. 

ML: u speak of this so casually. But my 5th sister reputation and sheng's reputation is at stake. 

And she walks away. 

GTY: ehhh...but I'm not done talking yet. 

ML; what do U think I am? A pig? A fish? GTY, U are a rascal! :lol:

Will not translate GTY/QH meeting since it has been translated earlier. 

ML runs to the grandma and told granny that the GTY rascal created such huge ruckus, an elaborate scam, to push me to the corner, run out of options. I'm so angry to I left him and came back. :lol:

The next meeting with GTY bowing down to her is a bit harder to understand. 

GTY: I can't say/promise how great it will for you to be married to me. But I can say this to heaven and earth, that from now on, *I think he said they will both be nobles*. 

Then he bowed and said something that I could hardly understand, but from the minimal understanding it seems like he promised that he will care for her his entire life.

:wub:

That was sweet...

On 1/15/2019 at 8:56 PM, JoycceeDreamer said:
On 1/15/2019 at 7:27 PM, nichiwoohee said:

I wonder how things would have gone if GTY did not trick anyone... if he in the beginning just asked for ML. Since the novel is different from the drama... it would be nice to see if grandma would leave it up to ML .. and if ML would have agreed to this marriage .. 

Grandma would have refused. She stated many times, she wanted a simple and easy life, outside of a grand noble house. Minglan would have been filial and listened. Not forgetting she's had two bad experiences with noble families and is completely oblivious to GTY feelings.

Can anyone determine what is the time jump since QH wife was killed during the rebellion to the time now when GTY/ML are about to get engage?

I'm starting to hate QH. Even if he was forced into marrying the princess and of course the princess was killed. QH couldn't even protect his wife.

How dare he have the guts to blame GTY that he came between them. QH can't even protect ML in the past and how the hell  is he supposed to protect ML in the future?????...

It's about time ML gets herself a man (GTY) to protect her. After ML confirmed with Grandma that GTY saved her along with GTY setting up the Sheng’s family… I think Grandma saw the bigger picture that GTY will be the only one to protect ML once she is gone. After all he did fought and climb up the ladder to get where he is now.... 

8 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

I see a few chingus asking for translation for the meeting between GTY-ML in the Weibo preview, at the start and end. 

Couldn't seem to see any reply so I'll try with my limited understanding. If someone already responded, my apologies for double up. 

GTY: I must get you/ succeed in getting you. Even the heaven pity me, so opens up the opportunity to me. 

ML: That's because heaven is afraid of powerful scary people. :lol:

GTY: seriously, even when I go war, its not this complicated. I had to plan meticulously (strike in the east, while making others think I'll strike the west). Just to get a wife, I had to use all the strategem of war teachings. 

ML: u speak of this so casually. But my 5th sister reputation and sheng's reputation is at stake. 

And she walks away. 

GTY: ehhh...but I'm not done talking yet. 

ML; what do U think I am? A pig? A fish? GTY, U are a rascal! :lol:

Will not translate GTY/QH meeting since it has been translated earlier. 

ML runs to the grandma and told granny that the GTY rascal created such huge ruckus to make me run out of options. I'm so angry to I left him and came back. :lol:

The next meeting with GTY bowing down to her is a bit harder to understand. 

GTY: I can't say/promise how great it will for you to be married to me. But I can say this to heaven and earth, that from now on, *I think he said they will both be nobles*. 

Then he bowed and said something that I could hardly understand, but from the minimal understanding it seems like he promised that he will care for her his entire life.

:wub:

That was sweet...

That first part is hilarious lmao!

According to the comments under the trailer that I used Google Translate on GTY apparently worded his confession in the last part in such a way that it was rare in those days. Something to do with treating her equally or something so the confession seems sweet...

12 minutes ago, dito said:

I'm also glad granny refused to see QH and also stopped him from seeing ML.

But it makes me wonder that if ML finds out he came to see her and propose marriage and was turned away, What will her reaction be will she be mad?  Or will she be like....I've moved on so should you.

You know I was starting to kind of pity him after the forced marriage and how the princess was treating him. But something 6th Liang son said that made me so upset that all the pity for QH just disappeared. When Liang mama was trying to convince 6th son to marry ML he said everyone knows she was after QH and maybe already became his concubine....implying that ML and QH already slept together. Just thinking that thats what was being said about ML behind her back and people snickering that she reached too high and had to eat dirt after getting rejected makes me so angry at QH. I mean GTY was absolutely right. QH made promises to her, gave her hope and then crushed them along with her heart. Her reputation was already stained because of him. And its absolutely true no man from a good family would have married her with such nasty rumors associated with her name. HHW was a family friend and only a visitor to the capital. Suppose after engagement his family heard these rumors about ML, family friend or not his mother would not have let this relationship proceed any further.

And now he wants GTY to cancel the wedding....I really wish ML meets him and rejects him to his face so that he comes to his senses fast and stop talking nonsense.

About Molan....she will continue to practicing her mother's evil teachings. After she came to the house 2 of Liang 6th son's concubines suffered exactly the same type of difficult births that ML's mom went through. Pretending to be good main wife, feeding the concubines good, over rich food that resulted in babies growing too big in the womb. Not sure if both babies died....or the concubines. But after the second time it happened people started talking and connecting it to Molan.

I'm too sure what they did to her after that ..just read this on the spoiler site.

I forgot that 6th Liang said that. I no longer feel bad for QH. I had a sliver left but that’s gone too. He chased after ML even after she told him the reality in the temple but in the end it’s her who became the butt of jokes! It makes me so angry!

Talking about GTY, he is inperfect but perfect. He is a man that I acn fight for. He schemes but his goal is praiseworthy. Truly he has been married and has given birth, truly he was in love and has been stuloid in love, but he is someone that also grew from his obstacles with the advice of someone younger than him. For me he is someone I can be with in as much as I love him. He is not the ideal man but he is the right man. 

Maybe I have been brainwashed by the story since this is how they portrayed GTY but I prefer a man I can confidently walk around his house than a man that I have to hide behind walls to walk in his house or a man that I have to sugar coat words for even when I am angry. GTY is imperfect from header to toe, but he is trustworthy and very much determined. 

If I see GTY's killing list, I will help him kill them without asking him because I know they must have deserved it. If I see him doing wrong I will give him a thorough advice, because I know even if he might not heed he will still think about it so well... For me this is the kind of person that Ming lan can truly be happy and delighted to be with. 

It might be the typical 'girls like bad guys' theory, but truth be said, someone that accepts the imperfections in his life is the true good guy because it will be so hard to falter their goals since they know life is not just white, it's also black. And for me GTY brings out the best and the worst of someone in life. We can be successful but we can also be a failure. This is what QH doesn't have even though he is the perfect and ideal man. And that's why I truly support GTY.. Sweetness is good in life but once it's too much, you start to rot, taste some bitterness too and you will cherish those sweetnees you have once tasted. I think that's what I think this story stands to teach

4 hours ago, lxands said:

More than the dowry, I suspect granny used another way to convince liang's mother to accept Molan. Remember Minglan already told granny what she found out abt Liang's son's womanizing habit. I bet granny in turn threatened to exposed abt her son's dirty laundry (having a mistress pregnant with his child) that no respectable family wud want to marry off their daughter to the Liang's 6th son.

@lxands you are right, I remember now, the pregnant mistress is the illegitmate daughter of the illegitimate cousin of oldest brother's wife and she went to the doorstep to cry. If the rumors will spread then all the noble and honorable families will not have the 6th Liang son marry into their families just like GTY was off limits in the first episodes. And that is something that the countess will never let Molan forget.  

12 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Omg i just love them together so much she can be so real in front of him even more so then grandma . 

9 minutes ago, samanatha_xyooj said:

Even though im starting to dislike QH as well he married the Princess to save ML sure they wouldnt have known about ML if he didnt do that stuff at Polo but still. 

8 minutes ago, samanatha_xyooj said:

Can anyone determine what is the time jump since QH wife was killed during the rebellion to the time now when GTY/ML are about to get engage?

I'm starting to hate QH. Even if he was forced into marrying the princess and of course the princess was killed. QH couldn't even protect his wife.

How dare he have the guts to blame GTY that he came between them. QH can't even protect ML in the past and how the hell  is he supposed to protect ML in the future?????...

It's about time ML gets herself a man (GTY) to protect her. After ML confirmed with Grandma that GTY saved her along with GTY setting up the Sheng’s family… I think Grandma saw the bigger picture that GTY will be the only one to protect ML once she is gone. After all he did fought and climb up the ladder to get where he is now.... 

This is just my theory...but I think they show time jumps by showing trees with different coloured flowers. Some scenes start with pink flowers on the trees....some with white. I'm assuming those are plum blossoms and peach blossoms. Some scenes have bare trees with very little leaves....

So just check the trees to know how much time has passed in the drama.:D

Archived