[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

10 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

That would’ve made more sense for me. In that way he would’ve not schemed his best friend who would’ve seen through him. CB would be an outsider in the situation and GTY nanny would be the one to see RL and her lover. That would make GTY scheme more diliberate rather than the heavens bestowing him such good luck and timing. 

10 hours ago, dito said:

Basically it's the fault in the writing thats causing confusion and questions about CB's intelligence and knowledge of his sisters.

If they had stuck to the novel in this instance then this confusion wouldn't be happening. In the novel GTY sent the proposal through Hualan's husband and there was no question in their minds that it was RL he was asking for. But they can't do that in the drama since CB and GTY are such good friends.

The writers also added to the confusion by having various characters ask to confirm which sister GTY was asking for. Obviously since 4th daughter Molan got married so the next to marry would be RL, the 5th daughter.

Another thing,  the family may already know Granny's intentions regarding HHW and ML....but they may not know that the situation had changed because of the Cao cousin....so for them ML won't be in contention.  Therefore there was no need to have them question who GTY was asking for.

In the late episode, GTY confessed he deliberately not telling CB that he wanted married ML and misleading others. He knew if he directly ask Granny to allow him to marry ML, he would be refused instantly because of his bad reputation. So he schemed and pretended that he just want to marry one of the girls from Sheng family, and Granny was planning a marriage between ML and Dr. He, so CB naturally think he want to marry RL. In result, the Sheng family are all happy to have a marital relationship with GTY and easily accept the applicant and promised to marry a daughter to him.

On the other hand, GTY helped CAO and made the marriage between ML and Dr. He impossible any more. GTY also know the love affair between RL and YWJ will be opened someday. So the Sheng family have no choice but marry ML to him. He get the chance and the promise, the only thing he needs is ML's approval which he gets lately by making a sincere proposal.

Edited by Zhiyong Xiao
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, chistarr said:

She did mention that she was worried that GTY will scheme against her considering how good he is at it and how would she defend against him; I think it took great courage and some subconscious trust on her part to risk going into the marriage with GTY. I think she thought, if he had been scheming for years (by that point) to get her, then he was not taking her lightly and would really care for her. I really loved that. I also think she might like the challenge of tangling with another person who schemes just as much as her. lol 

ML and GTY , these 2 really have very weird understanding of courtship. GTY went all out on his scheme to impress ML with his skills. And as a schemer herself, ML would know quite well how much effort, time and money would've been spent to achieve his plans perfect execution....and result. How could she not be impressed? In the book even GTY was impressed by her after seeing her little scheme against her sister Molan.....when she threw mud on Molan's dress to stop her from going in the men's section.

So made for each other, these two.

Just finished watching raws of todays epis.

I'm loving how playful he is after the wedding. Glad they kept that in. I'm also glad they kept most of the touching. But most of its playful and less naughty. Wish they kept his naughty bits too.

• Like 6
  • LOL 5

@mooose & @dito  Ok who is the women that was RL mother is that the sister that poision G/ma.. ? Wow the waty she was eyeing GTY made me think she wanted to be his concubine.. Now I'm wondering is this the reaoning for poisioning G/ma.. Did she want her child to enter the Gu household or she enter the GU household and G/ma found out about it.. We all know if this the case she wasn't having it and probaby read Big Mdm and sister they rights and told them a thing or two..

We'll we can tell that ML married more richer then Molan and RL.. It seens that Molan husband was trying to use the connection between her and ML which he didn;t know there was never no connection between those two.. It's nothing but bad blood thanks to her mom.. Molan was treated like and outcast for once being that her mother is dead.. Now she knows what it's like to enter your childhood home where you don't have any footing.. ML was the star of that family dinner with her husband..  Wonder just what Aunt was after.? 

When will they discover she's pregnant she's showing all the signs.. I thought GTY had figured it out..

Also what was up with the house staff. ? I guess they must habe thought she didn;t know anything about running a home.. I guess they didn't get the news about her taking control of the house finances and assets at the Sheng household

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • LOL 3

10 minutes ago, Zhiyong Xiao said:

In the late episode, GTY confessed he deliberately not telling CB that he wanted married ML and misleading others. He knew if he directly ask Granny to marry ML, he would be refused instantly because of his bad reputation. So he schemed and pretended that he just want to marry one of the girls from Sheng family, and Granny was planning a marriage between ML and Dr. He, so CB naturally think he want to marry RL. In result, the Sheng family are all happy to have a marital relationship with GTY and easily accept the applicant and promised to marry a daughter to him.

On the other hand, GTY helped CAO and made the marriage between ML and Dr. He impossible any more. GTY also know the love affair between RL and YWJ will be opened someday. So the Sheng family have no choice but marry ML to him. He get the chance and the promise, the only thing he needs is ML's approval which he gets lately by making a sincere proposal.

Welcome to the thread.:)

Yes I know GTY deliberately didn't tell CB the name of the sister he wanted to marry. That was his scheme to let them misunderstand.  In the book it was Hualan's husband, so him not knowing which girl GTY was talking about was understandable. And most likely GTY used the words Di daughter....so the obvious person is RL. 

But in the drama the proposal was offered to CB, who knew both of his sisters very well...and knew ML was now Di daughter too. The question we are asking here is how could CB not know which sister GTY was talking about when Sheng Hong knew immediately it was ML.

This is why I said the drama writers were wrong to add this scene of the characters being confused as to who was the proposal for, which then created questions among the viewers about the CB's intelligence.:lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

35 minutes ago, dito said:

Just finished watching raws of todays epis.

I'm loving how playful he is after the wedding. Glad they kept that in. I'm also glad they kept most of the touching. But most of its playful and less naughty. Wish they kept his naughty bits too.

I'm also liking his playful nature, Whiich us keeping her happy and smiling everyday.. GTY always knew she hide to hide this part of herself until like he said she became the flawless sixth miss.. I'm enjoying them so much and going to hate when they fallout behind silly people being jealous of there relationship..

Also the cougher and his wife.. I don't see how he can stand been round her when she's only worried about GTY taking away his nobility.. 

3 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

Hmm i wonder if they will have their huge falling out during her pregnancy?

@Lunkera  I read it was after she had the first child and pregnant with the second one when they poisioned Granny.. This is when they reconnected they're relationship.. No one never said what sex was the second child.. Did she have two boys or just the one.. 

• Like 3

It was fun to see Molan being ignored /slighted when the girls came to visit after marriage.Her grand dreams of having the Sheng household pamper her because she married into the household of a count as legal wife just went pffft.Counting your chickens before they hatch can be extremely dissappinting.

SH true to his nature reprimanded ML for displaying her higher status during the visit even though she was courteous. Seems to have quickly forgotten that ML saved the family embarrassment by agreeing to marry GTY.Not sure if Autie Kang and DaNiang had anything to do with it.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, dito said:

Welcome to the thread.:)

Yes I know GTY deliberately didn't tell CB the name of the sister he wanted to marry. That was his scheme to let them misunderstand.  In the book it was Hualan's husband, so him not knowing which girl GTY was talking about was understandable. And most likely GTY used the words Di daughter....so the obvious person is RL. 

But in the drama the proposal was offered to CB, who knew both of his sisters very well...and knew ML was now Di daughter too. The question we are asking here is how could CB not know which sister GTY was talking about when Sheng Hong knew immediately it was ML.

This is why I said the drama writers were wrong to add this scene of the characters being confused as to who was the proposal for, which then created questions among the viewers about the CB's intelligence.:lol:

I'm commenting on if GTY had married RL it would have been like he's raising two daughters.. RL with her headstrong self and Ronger who has always had daddy attentions no way would this household would run smoothly.. Poor GTY would never make it to his army camp and if he did he would have to take both with him.. :w00t: 

• LOL 5

4 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

It was fun to see Molan being ignored /slighted when the girls came to visit after marriage.Her grand dreams of having the Sheng household pamper her because she married into the household of a count as legal wife just went pffft.Counting your chickens before they hatch can be extremely dissappinting.

SH true to his nature reprimanded ML for displaying her higher status during the visit even though she was courteous. Seems to have quickly forgotten that ML saved the family embarrassment by agreeing to marry GTY.Not sure if Autie Kang and DaNiang had anything to do with it.

@minglan1  So thats what SH was bent out if shape about.. We all know if that had been Molan he wouldn't have said a word.. Why throw a tiff with her thats her husbands way of pampering her.. If he was so bent out of shapoe take it up with your SIL not her she don't own those carriages..Also in that scene it seems like they were all there to get something from ML and GTY..  I think Big Mdm is envious of ML because she married richer then all the other legit daughters.. 

Yes it was wonderful seeing Molan realizing that both sister married better then she.. Molan knew she had to take a back seat to ML who she always thought that would never climb above her.. I think this is what SH is really mad about because in terms of status ML rates higher then him being married into the GU clan.. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, sava2sava said:

Also the cougher and his wife.. I don't see how he can stand been round her when she's only worried about GTY taking away his nobility.. 

@Lunkera  I read it was after she had the first child and pregnant with the second one when they poisioned Granny.. This is when they reconnected they're relationship.. No one never said what sex was the second child.. Did she have two boys or just the one.. 

I don’t think the oldest brother wife was worried about GTY taking away her husband’s nobility. She didn’t complain anything about that. She knows that they have no son and Marquis title will go to GTY. She just wants her husband to live longer...who would want to become a widow with a young daughter in her late twenties, right?

Spoiler

ML and GTY have a total of three sons in the novel.

@sava2sava At the wedding, GTY’s men were saying that they have never seen paying respects to two spiritual tablets (GTY’s dad and biological mom) and living person (stepmom) at the wedding.  It seems like declaring GTY has biological mother (traditionally, your dad legal current wife is your mom. So, they should have just paid respect to her and may be the dad’s spiritual tablet. If GTY’s dad was still living, he wouldn’t have allowed new couple paying respect to spiritual tablet of his dead second wife, GTY’s biological mom at the wedding). General Geng wonders the stepmom happily agreed to it. The other guy said that she threw tantrum but GTY found a way to trick her into accepting it. (That’s why stepmom is unhappy and every person from Gu household is looking uncomfortable.)

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

@mooose & @dito  Ok who is the women that was RL mother is that the sister that poision G/ma.. ? Wow the waty she was eyeing GTY made me think she wanted to be his concubine.. Now I'm wondering is this the reaoning for poisioning G/ma.. Did she want her child to enter the Gu household or she enter the GU household and G/ma found out about it.. We all know if this the case she wasn't having it and probaby read Big Mdm and sister they rights and told them a thing or two..

Wonder just what Aunt was after.? 

When will they discover she's pregnant she's showing all the signs.. I thought GTY had figured it out..

Also what was up with the house staff. ? I guess they must habe thought she didn;t know anything about running a home.. I guess they didn't get the news about her taking control of the house finances and assets at the Sheng household

Yes thats the witch. She is pissed off at daniang for something. There was also something I can't quite remember completely. Had to do with CB. I think the Auntie Kang wanted Daniang to take her relative or someone as CB's wife. But granny had already chosen Hai shi and Sheng Hong was happy with it. I don't know if thats related to her hate for Daniang and wants her to pay. 

And yes she did send some concubines for GTY.....iirc....I think they were sent back.

ML became pregnant after a year of their marriage...I don't think its been that long yet.

House staff causing trouble are all from different Gu family members... GTY's stepmom, his 3rd aunt, 4th aunt.....basically the staff gifted to them were sent to spy on them....and make trouble for ML. And I'm guessing ML is going to make them fight amongst each other so she can send them back or sell them off as punishment....

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

I don’t think the oldest brother wife was worried about GTY taking away her husband’s nobility. She didn’t complain anything about that. She knows that they have no son and Marquis title will go to GTY. She just wants her husband to live longer...who would want to become a widow with a young daughter in her late twenties, right?

Reveal hidden contents

ML and GTY have a total of three sons in the novel.

Thanks for that bit of news @Golden Flower  But In episode 39 she did question her husband on this.. He told her he had to have a son before GTY legit wife has one.. He also said he wasn't to concern about GTY because generals die on the battlefield.. He was more concern about what Big Mdm (His Aunt) would do because she want her son to have the title..  

So if GTY had three son then Evil step mom son can't inherit the title of the house..? 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, dito said:

Yes thats the witch. She is pissed off at daniang for something. There was also something I can't quite remember completely. Had to do with CB. I think the Auntie Kang wanted Daniang to take her relative or someone as CB's wife. But granny had already chosen Hai shi and Sheng Hong was happy with it. I don't know if thats related to her hate for Daniang and wants her to pay. 

And yes she did send some concubines for GTY.....iirc....I think they were sent back.

ML became pregnant after a year of their marriage...I don't think its been that long yet.

House staff causing trouble are all from different Gu family members... GTY's stepmom, his 3rd aunt, 4th aunt.....basically the staff gifted to them were sent to spy on them....and make trouble for ML. And I'm guessing ML is going to make them fight amongst each other so she can send them back or sell them off as punishment....

@dito  Hold up, Swooping my hair back.. Granny found SH another concubine.. Wasn;t there enough troubke in the Sheng household bbcecause of Lingnaning.. You mean to tell me his old swimmers still swimming.. I thought he would be dried up by now because of Molans mother.. SH only agreed because he wants some strange.. SMH :w00t:

So Aunt found out about the news and decided to put her hands in both cookies jars and came up short:w00t: Hilarious.. Don;t like the fact she tried to kill off Granny.. Also is this when ML send her back her girl, Because she would have became bold enough to kill off ML..

I can't wait to see what type of elaborate scheme she comes up with to get rid of the spies.. I wish she sale they spies off as slaves it would teach them a lesson.. I tell yo GTY pick a winner, He can go do whatever and never has to worry about home he knows she can handle it and what she can;t hell deal with it for her..

What was up with Evil step mom and the two uncle. ? 

• Confused 1
  • LOL 4

49 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

Funny thing is that I don't think the status or power bothered ML much. She still got along well with Rulan, sharing gossips and all despite their "status" differences. 

ML is just a person who pays her dues. 

Both good and bad. 

7 hours ago, leeza77 said:

I read the novel, but i don't mind with the changes. I read the novel bcoz of the drama. So, i will enjoy the drama and not to bergrudge the changes. And ml post marital is very domineering, cunning and scheming (eventhough i'm not really understand what were said. Just decipher the expression. 2 hours are not enough. 

Domineering? Really? I haven't watch it so I can't comment. But that doesn't seem to go with her character? 

• Like 3

@sava2sava technically if the sick bro has son, the son will inherit the title, rather than GTY. 

And so, if GTY inherits the title because the sick bro has no sons, GTY's son will inherit his title. So the evil stepmom's third son will not have a chance. 

The only way he can have the title if both sick bro and GTY pass away without any sons. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Funny thing is that I don't think the status or power bothered ML much. She still got along well with Rulan, sharing gossips and all despite their "status" differences. 

ML is just a person who pays her dues. 

Both good and bad.

Yes..I think Rulan didn't mind it much.She greeted ML with gusto.ML also raised a toast to DaNiang.I am guessing aunty Kang played spoilsport since she didn't look to happy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sava2sava said:

Thanks for that bit of news @Golden Flower  But In episode 39 she did question her husband on this.. He told her he had to have a son before GTY legit wife has one.. He also said he wasn't to concern about GTY because generals die on the battlefield.. He was more concern about what Big Mdm (His Aunt) would do because she want her son to have the title..  

So if GTY had three son then Evil step mom son can't inherit the title of the house..? 

I know which scene you’re talking about. There are two scenes of that couple talking. The first one is in epi 39 when GTY was looking around to fix the house (another one coming up in epi 41after GTY told his family that he is moving back to his new manor next door). You should rewatch epi 39 scene with subs (they’re out). She was just questioning her husband after she heard stepmom saying GTY would fight for the Marquis title. Her husband then said there is no need for GTY to fight as the title will go to GTY automatically after he dies as they have no son. He continued to say that stepmom is the one who wants to fight for the title for her biological son (third brother). If GTY also has no son and died, the title will go to the third brother. He said that GTY can die at battle before having any son. So, stepmom who is also his biological aunt will give a hard time to ML (will plan so that GTY won’t have any son). In that scene, the wife of oldest brother never said that they need to have a son. They knew that they couldn’t have one (they have been married for a long time and only has a daughter) and he decided not to take any concubine either because of his health.

Spoiler

In epi 41 scene, oldest brother wife also didn’t say they need to get a son. Her husband was saying the emperor wants GTY to know he cannot be separated from Gu family and that’s the reason he bestowed GTY new manor next door to Hou Fu. He also said stepmom will continue give a hard time to GTY and the wife asked how. He then said after he died, GTY needs to move back if he wants to be Marquis of Ning Yuan (Marquis needs to live in Hou Fu after he inherits the title). The wife then just said he wants him to continue living and wants him to fight to live for her and their daughter. She doesn’t care whether he is Marquis or from Gu family, she only cares for him to live to be with her.

The third brother couldn’t inherit the title since GTY has sons.

I’m just pointing out so that you don’t have wrong information. At this point, oldest brother is no longer involved in fighting with GTY. It’s going to be all stepmom and stepmom initiating triggers to 4th and 5th aunts. 

Spoiler

In the novel, stepmom pressured the oldest brother couple to adopt her biological grandson from third brother as their own son. If oldest brother has a son even if he is adopted, Marquis title will go to the son instead of GTY. At the end, oldest bro decided not to adopt. Not sure the drama will include those scenes as it hasn’t mentioned the third brother has a son yet. 

Grandmom also didn’t find concubine for SH. A long way back...after exam result came out and CB (the oldest son) passed, Daniang expressed wanting her son CB to marry her niece (Aunty Kang’s oldest daughter). However, SH was against it and grandma also said to take time (basically both grandma and SH look down on Kang family). Aunty Kang’s daughter then got married to Cheng Wu (son of SH’s cousin, oldest brother of Shu Lan and Pin Lan) at You Young Sheng family’s main house and that’s the wedding ML and grandma went. Later, SH chose Hai 2nd daughter for CB. Aunty Kang’s another daughter married to her and Daniang’s brother’s son who Daniang originally intended for Rulan. 

• Like 5

Just now, minglan1 said:

Yes..I think Rulan didn't mind it much.She greeted ML with gusto.ML also raised a toast to DaNiang.I am guessing aunty Kang played spoilsport since she didn't look to happy.

Yes, it seems that more vipers are being unveiled as we go along.  Daniang's older sister looks like as if she swallowed a lemon and I think that if it wasn't her influence, Daniang would not have committed any crime.  I was so happy to see grandma hugging Minglan. Clearly they missed each other very much.  Rulan too was very close to Minglan and you could see their relationship were good.  

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

Some people simply can't accept someone that's better off. She's just green with envy and trying to ruin the party. 

If only she knows GTY/ML partnership is like a SWAT team. GTY leading assault team, ML being the sniper at the back. 

Aunty Kang will regret messing with anyone dear to ML. Tsk tsk tsk. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 10