[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

7 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Loved the interaction between ML and granny about GTY's confession too. 

ML calling GTY spider monster and berated him in front of granny about his elaborate scam, like a kid.

But when granny called him ruthless, ML then turned and defended him. 

:lol: lol. 

ML also defended him and vouched for his character when he wanted to marry YanRan, and then Rulan. 

It's very cute that she would defend him when others think ill of him, but it's acceptable when she talks bad about him. 

Feels a bit like she can insult him, but no one else can. :lol:

Only to grandma.. She mustn't show her preference for gty to grandma blatantly.. Ranted some, defended some and praised some. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

The white paper supposed to serve as his will, indicating who will be his beneficiary. Since he was still young with no children yet and there was no one he is close to, he did not know what name to write and had to leave it blank. However, declaring that he has inheritor, they cannot attempt on his life again but Bai family has been inquiring his beneficiary name so that they can kill that person => meaning if GTY died without any inheritor, they can claim all of his inheritance from his grandfather. If he has inheritor, even if he died, they cannot claim anything. So, they must kill beneficiary first before killing GTY again.

So did the grandfather actually choose GTY as the successor or not? did he steal it. 

56 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

I havent seen yanxi yet, but I saw on the news that yuzheng started ranting again, even dragging zhou xun’s acting, to defend the main actress of yanxi

I like that they are more equal in the drama, but I do miss his more rugged self

Yuzheng started ranting about what?? why was he ranting who towards ;p 

12 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

So did the grandfather actually choose GTY as the successor or not? did he steal it. 

He didn’t steal it. Explained in ep 3 at grandfather’s funeral. His grandfather wrote him a letter about it, to go and inherit the business so the other relatives don’t screw it up and loose it. He’s the direct line and successor since it was his grandfather’s personal business. The white paper is GTY’s will. It was his way of preventing his maternal relatives from trying to kill him again.

13 minutes ago, hello210 said:

He didn’t steal it. Explained in ep 3 at grandfather’s funeral. His grandfather wrote him a letter about it, to go and inherit the business so the other relatives don’t screw it up and loose it. He’s the direct line and successor since it was his grandfather’s personal business. The white paper is GTY’s will. It was his way of preventing his maternal relatives from trying to kill him again.

Ah i see i mistread my bad ;p 

After watching the full confession by GTY subbed, I've gotta say I do admire him. Not for his elaborate scam, but for his understanding of ML and the extent he's willing to go for her...

Looking back now, it has always felt like he understands her very well because they shared similar fate, but clearly, he has also been paying much attention to her, and what she has to say. 

From their fateful meeting where she was saved by him from the river bandit, every word she said, he listened, and he acted. 

Everything she felt, her restrictions as illegitimate daughter, her injustice, her humiliation, he was determined to correct. 

I've suspected previously that he joined the army partially because she said to him that he should plan for Rong'er's future, and partially because of her. 

It seemed to me that he confirmed it during his meeting with QH, that in order to marry her, "I cut my way through thistles and thorns, charged into the front line, bled blood and risked my life before I was able to obtain this current fruit of my labour".. that he actually joined the army and rise up the ranks so that he can win ML over. 

When she said she admires him because he could live for himself, he became determined to let her live for herself too..

When she was heartbroken when QH broke it off, he encouraged her to look forward, and was determined that he will "take care" of those who talks behind her back. And he did. The very extensive betrothal gifts, and even when he goes out to buy her food on their wedding night, he had no qualms telling Shitou, and the world, that "What the wife wants, she gets". All to show that ML is worth that much..

GTY is truly a man that displays "Actions speak louder than words". 

7 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

Whether he deliberately didnt spell it out still my point is that CB and his mother mistook it and he is not that manipulative. Manipulating to me is influencing/threatening someone to go your way. GTY and ML is more like setting a route for you to choose but the outcome of choices would still be the same because they know the person really well and make plans accordingly.... For one CB never asked him straight out so which sister it is? So I can tell my parents for sure who it is and not make a random guess.... I really had my head scratching that CB can’t tell it’s ML that he want to marry. After all ML is the only one remotely close to GTY amongst his sisters. Even the father thought the description is very much ML. Everything else how he found a way to escape that misinformation is out of my mind don’t want to question it just enjoy the show. Lol 

CB misinterpreting GTY's intention is too far-fetched and out of character. Even his father can sense the description fits ML more than RL. How can CB make such a blunt mistake? Unlike his vain and delusional mother, CB is sensible enough to make sound judgments about his sisters' characters. So why CB thinks it's RL whom GTY wants to marry when his friend says the "good-natured" one, is beyond me. Even if you say CB is playing dumb to help his best friend to marry ML, it doesn't feel right either. For one thing, CB doesn't know RL's relationship with Wen Yanjing, so what if RL accepts GTY? The switching of ML for RL arouses such chaos in the family and puts the reputation of two girls and the family at great risk, like ML later comments. Again, it's so out of character for CB, as he's filial and cautious. In either case, CB's behavior can't be explained away. 

10 minutes ago, matrim said:

CB misinterpreting GTY's intention is too far-fetched and out of character. Even his father can sense the description fits ML more than RL. How can CB make such a blunt mistake? Unlike his vain and delusional mother, CB is sensible enough to make sound judgments about his sisters' characters. So why CB thinks it's RL whom GTY wants to marry when his friend says the "good-natured" one, is beyond me. Even if you say CB is playing dumb to help his best friend to marry ML, it doesn't feel right either. For one thing, CB doesn't know RL's relationship with Wen Yanjing, so what if RL accepts GTY? The switching of ML for RL arouses such chaos in the family and puts the reputation of two girls and the family at great risk, like ML later comments. Again, it's so out of character for CB, as he's filial and cautious. In either case, CB's behavior can't be explained away. 

11 minutes ago, matrim said:

Well bcoz before that cb did inform gty that ml was nearly bethrothed to dr he. So, his brain made the conclusion that as gty knew about the near bethrothal, there is no way he will be asking for ml. 

34 minutes ago, matrim said:

Partly the whole Doc He thing and I think part of it is also the same reason that everyone else assumed it would be Rulan. GTY said he will marry the di daughter. Even though CB likes ML, he’s still very proper in the order of things so unless GTY specified a name, he’ll go with the criteria. At that time, the public didn’t know of ML’s change in legitimacy in the family. Even though she was adopted under Daniang after their return from the hometown, the family members still referred to her as the illegitimate daughter until they got pushed into a corner and all of a sudden Daniang conveniently “remembers” ML qualifies as di and can substitute. But as GTY said, he calculated that their reactions would be this way.

8 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Well bcoz before that cb did inform gty that ml was nearly bethrothed to dr he. So, his brain made the conclusion that as gty knew about the near bethrothal, there is no way he will be asking for ml. 

CB says his mother wants to marry RL to one of her cousins and his grandma wants to marry ML to Dr. He. The two engagements aren't fixed yet, so when GTY deliberately makes a vague reference, CB asks him which sister he's talking about. In this matter, the two girls are equal in position. I'm afraid it doesn't account as a good excuse.

33 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Partly the whole Doc He thing and I think part of it is also the same reason that everyone else assumed it would be Rulan. GTY said he will marry the di daughter. Even though CB likes ML, he’s still very proper in the order of things so unless GTY specified a name, he’ll go with the criteria. At that time, the public didn’t know of ML’s change in legitimacy in the family. Even though she was adopted under Daniang after their return from the hometown, the family members still referred to her as the illegitimate daughter until they got pushed into a corner and all of a sudden Daniang conveniently “remembers” ML qualifies as di and can substitute. But as GTY said, he calculated that their reactions would be this way.

Well, GTY says he will marry a di-daughter in Sheng household to the emperor, so it's reasonable for the public to think it's RL. But GTY doesn't say this to CB. That's why his parents do some guess work when CB discloses this info to them. It's just so funny and weird to watch CB confidently says GTY wants RL to be his wife.

33 minutes ago, matrim said:

CB says his mother wants to marry RL to one of her cousins and his grandma wants to marry ML to Dr. He. The two engagements aren't fixed yet, so when GTY deliberately makes a vague reference, CB asks him which sister he's talking about. In this matter, the two girls are equal in position. I'm afraid it doesn't account as a good excuse.

Actually for dr he it's very much a done deal. Dr he should be sending the bethrothal gift the next month, whilst fir Rulan, it's only just talk and wishes if danniang but no negotiation take place at all between two parties. CB also weh he was asked by gty "what about your sixth sister" he replied forcefully dream on, she's already been fixed with dr. He. 

1 hour ago, matrim said:

For one CB never asked him straight out so which sister it is? So I can tell my parents for sure who it is and not make a random guess.... I really had my head scratching that CB can’t tell it’s ML that he want to marry. After all ML is the only one remotely close to GTY amongst his sisters. Even the father thought the description is very much ML. Everything else how he found a way to escape that misinformation is out of my mind don’t want to question it just enjoy the show. Lol 

CB is part of the priviledged di class and his thinking would be such. Just cos he and ML get along, doesn't mean he does not see her as inferior. Infact ML gets along with everyone in that house but to them she is still 'concubine born', even if she is now registered as di.

My interpretation of the dialogue is that CB assumed is was RL that GTY wanted because that is the right and correct daughter to want in this world and he was only  puzzled by the flowery phrases, that's why he didnt ask which one, to him ML was not in the running at all. To CB and Daniang, the proposal is RL's due as the legitimate daughter. Its only SH who wonders if its not ML that GTY was describing.  SH might have his biases, but not between shu and di ( he himself being originally shu).

To me CB's assumptions make complete sense if you consider their backgrounds. It only occurs to CB that he might have been wrong when SH brings it up, but now he can't go back and ask which one when DaNiang has snatched the proposalfor RL.

GTY knows how prejudices work and was able to play CB and the Shengs perfectly. 

27 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Actually for dr he it's very much a done deal. Dr he should be sending the bethrothal gift the next month, whilst fir Rulan, it's only just talk and wishes if danniang but no negotiation take place at all between two parties. CB also weh he was asked by gty "what about your sixth sister" he replied forcefully dream on, she's already been fixed with dr. He. 

You could be right. Its possible that CB doesn't know things have broken off with Dr He.

But then a girl was considered still elligible before the exchange of 8 characters and bethrothal gifts. So both RL and ML even if in talks, were still eligible to receive offers from other families.

2 hours ago, matrim said:

Exactly that why some plot holes in drama I just let it go over my head and just watch the show. Lol I don’t believe about it being Doc He either because RL was already getting set up as well by her mother. I think CB was just made to be absolutely oblivious just for the sake of the plot. Lol 

Watching episode 39 now. When GTY trying to explain himself to ML. I don’t know why but the way he looks and the way he talks and laughs makes me laugh out loud... He is such a dad... :P 

48 minutes ago, mooose said:

CB is part of the priviledged di class and his thinking would be such. Just cos he and ML get along, doesn't mean he does not see her as inferior. Infact ML gets along with everyone in that house but to them she is still 'concubine born', even if she is now registered as di.

My interpretation of the dialogue is that CB assumed is was RL that GTY wanted because that is the right and correct daughter to want in this world and he was only  puzzled by the flowery phrases, that's why he didnt ask which one, to him ML was not in the running at all. To CB and Daniang, the proposal is RL's due as the legitimate daughter. Its only SH who wonders if its not ML that GTY was describing.  SH might have his biases, but not between shu and di ( he himself being originally shu).

To me CB's assumptions make complete sense if you consider their backgrounds. It only occurs to CB that he might have been wrong when SH brings it up, but now he can't go back and ask which one when DaNiang has snatched the proposalfor RL.

GTY knows how prejudices work and was able to play CB and the Shengs perfectly. 

He should know GTY by now and the kind of person and life he lived. he is after all his best friend and should know the type of woman he likes. I don’t get why he would think RL is the kind of person GTY is looking for. Did he mean GTY just wants a di daughter for display. Of course he would want someone with ML caliber.  Why would CB think his sister RL can handle someone like GTY and the Gu household. Especially with marriage talk he would know how meticulous GTY must be in choosing his main wife. 

27 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

He should know GTY by now and the kind of person and life he lived. he is after all his best friend and should know the type of woman he likes. I don’t get why he would think RL is the kind of person GTY is looking for. Did he mean GTY just wants a di daughter for display. Of course he would want someone with ML caliber.  Why would CB think his sister RL can handle someone like GTY and the Gu household. Especially with marriage talk he would know how meticulous GTY must be in choosing his main wife. 

Choosing a wife is very different from choosing a woman 'you like' in this era. It didn't even occur to CB to ask which of his sisters and reasons put forward are all valid.

1. Ingrained prejudice that RL was automatic choice 

2. That ML was close to getting bethrothed to Dr He and out of the running.

Even if GTY showed care towards his sister ML doesn't mean he wanted to marry her. Even supersharp ML was oblivious of GTY feelings how much more the nerdy CB.

30 minutes ago, mooose said:

Even if GTY showed care towards his sister ML doesn't mean he wanted to marry her. Even supersharp ML was oblivious of GTY feelings how much more the nerdy CB.

That's a good point. 

GTY has everyone fooled.

If even ML didn't see that coming despite all the interactions they had, CB had no chance...:lol:

3 hours ago, m0us3y said:

After watching the full confession by GTY subbed, I've gotta say I do admire him. Not for his elaborate scam, but for his understanding of ML and the extent he's willing to go for her...

@m0us3y  Exactly GTy is direct and to the point.. He's not like ML who seems to be the elborate liar that she is look at how many time she lied to QH..

GTY had plenrty of women knocking at his door none peak his interest until ML told him to put Ronger some place to be raised the right way not out on the battled fields.. GTY knew right then that was the women to marry she spoke of his child first before him.. Thst's when he made up his mind I want her.. In GTY mind at that time I'll do whatever it takes to have her. No woman has ever put my childs intrest first before me, Not eben her own mother.. 

Archived