[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

10 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

I'm not sure it was mentioned in the book. Her dowry could have been less than Rulan and Hulan though even if grandma gave her some since her biological mom doesn't have any left for her except that one silver bangle. 

Actually ML's dowry was mentioned in the book. Bc the Sheng family used ML to replace Rulan (they didn't know about GTY'con) also they wanted to kiss GTY's richard simmons, they gave Rulan and ML the same amount of dowry, Grandma also gave most of her personal assets to ML, so ML was married off with a hefty sum of money.

10 hours ago, hello210 said:

@Golden Flower I agree. I don’t mind that he will love ML forever in the novel since he was honorable, kept it to himself and moved on with career and family. But if the drama goes and has him tell ML that he loves her more than GTY and misses her after she gets married, that just turned him into the typical second lead who’s love went beyond the boundaries. Someone else mentioned QH being part of a faction against GTY & the new Emperor, so i’m hoping that’s not true and it doesn’t get turned into the “unobtainable love turned second lead short term vengeful” cliche. 

I too hope the drama won't destroy QH character. Despite how much I like him, his role ends at ML's wedding and he shouldn't appear much in ML's life after that, maybe okay sometimes as guest. But if ML is not yet married then he's free to try.

4 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Well said chingu @cherubstomato..... I can never pity Molan and Concubine Lin. I believe Concubine Lin and both her children are very much like her. It's in their DNA, they have no love for their father who doted on them.  You have two parents who dote on you, shouldn't you have respect for them. Shouldn't you be loyal to the one who cloth you and buys you anything you need. Ironically the one who controls the purse strings is the mother, now I need to strike that from my opinion. Shouldn't you be loyal to the one who's reputation that is important so that can keep you living in style??? Molan choosing to listen to her mother is beacause of 1. She has seen her mother control their father. 2. Her mother always get's her way 3. Mother owns store and farmland which came from Main Wife's dowry

Linniand doesn't own farmland from he main wife's dowry. They were some of Sheng family assets given to her by Sheng Hong when he still favoured her. She was mentioning Daniang to give Molan a big dowry when marrying her off.

In that time period, a women's dowry came from 4 main source: part of her father's family assets, part of her birth mother's dowry (optional), part of the main wife's dowry and some extra gifts from loving elders in the family (optional). According to the rule, the main wife was the official mother of all of her husband's children. A child had the responsibility to be filial to his/her father's main wife first, and their birth mother came second. Normally, concubines were not allowed to raise their own children but the main wife would. In Sheng family, CF and Molan could live with Linniang cuz Sheng Hong favoured her and he worried Daniang wouldn't take good care of them (this was against etiquette). So it's was the main's wife duty to prepare all dowries and betrothed gifts for all sons and daughters, although of course shu children would get less than di children, and give them a small part of her dowry. So Daniang was obliged to give parts of her dowry to all 3 daughters, but bc she hated Molan, she only gave her very little while ML got the same amount as Rulan.

Back then, children were valued very much based on who raised them. For example, ML was the least favoured daughter in the Sheng family, however when seeking marriage, she would have a higher status than Molan, cuz she was raised by Grandma, who is a respectable noble women, while Molan was raised by a concubine. Concubines were considered low status, so daughters who were raised by them were not really highly regarded. Linniang was a narrow-minded women trying to keep her children instead of giving them to Daniang, thus ruined their marriage prospect. Maybe Linniang was so pampered by Sheng Hong so she felt so powerful in the house, but from an outsider's POV, she was just a lowly concubines while Daniang was the main wife coming from a family with status, thus Daniang was more connected within the circle. If Molan had been raised by Daniang then her chance in marriage would have raised significantly.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, darkphoenix123 said:

I feel bad for him sure but did he think grandma would agree to break ML’s marriage with GTY & allow her to marry him after all that happened? ML is her precious granddaughter and she saw her hurt & become a joke with others because of what happened so why would she agree. I am glad grannie is guarding her so well

Nice answer GTY! BTW what was GTY and ML talking abt in the beginning & the end if you don’t mind translating?

Spoiler

Qh: you know my heart has been with ml. why did u promise sheng family to marry her. What's your intention? 

Gty: u still thinking about her. U know, you proposal for ml was undecided. Why do you hasten to promise her and finally broke your promise? Broke her heart? 

Qh: so, this time it's going to be sure. I'll go to her house to propose. 

Gty: i don't blame u for that either. I'm just saying, u have difficulty in marrying her. Don't blame me for you being too late. 

Qh: no, she can't. 

Gty: how do you know that i'm not.i am willing to go all the way to marry her. 

Qh :how do you know she is willing to marry u?

Gty go and ask ml. Ask also her grandma. 

4 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

@leeza77 Are you able to translate the beginning of the clip and the end of the clip?. Not line by line just what they are talking about? both of ML and GTY conversations

Love this clip xD 

Reveal hidden contents

Use translator.. Ha ha. My head will explode. 

On 1/14/2019 at 2:04 AM, cherubstomato said:

Molan

I haven’t been so aggravated as I  am now for not being able to understand Mandarin .. lol ... the trailers for ep 39 & 40 has made me very agitated and impatient ! Lol .. someone please help me out of my misery by translating ,at least some bits of it ..

Thank you in advance ❤️

4 minutes ago, daebak42 said:

I haven’t been so aggravated as I  am now for not being able to understand Mandarin .. lol ... the trailers for ep 39 & 40 has made me very agitated and impatient ! Lol .. someone please help me out of my misery by translating ,at least some bits of it ..

Thank you in advance ❤️

I especially want to know what GTY was saying to ML by the tree that caused him to bow 

@ForgottenSoulx 

GTY then told CB to remind ML not to tell anyoneincluding the grandma that she came inside/into the palace“ this is exact translation of GTY’s last words to CB before getting on to carriage. That’s one of the points I was making about script not making sense. 

My word by word translation of what QH said to ML during their meeting after marriage:

”Does he (GTY) like me (QH) cannot sleep many nights due to missing you” => meaning=> he loves her more than GTY. 

QH said similar thing to GTY before actual marriage. 

After seeing the 2 trailers I realized they mixed the clips from the 2 episodes into both trailers. So Episode 39 will be CB catching Rulan and the fallout and convincing grandma to all ML to marry GTY. Episode 40 will be QH mum being turned down and being told abt ML marrying GTY, QH reaction and him turned away by grandma and Xiaotao. So marriage is probably on Friday.

@leeza77I didn’t realize you were using google translate. Thank you for translating as much as you have cuz I understand the headache google translate gives you.

On 1/15/2019 at 5:52 AM, linhlinh111 said:

Ep 33: Linniang's death was a surprise. Thought she might hang around a little more.

Yeah, I thought she wud see how her daughter's pathetic life gonna be after marrying a count household that she dream of so much..too bad she didnt live to see the miserable life she brought to her precious daughter's life

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:

Ohh..mhyyy:blush:..finally our long awaited one;...but seeing grandma left by her precious ML makes me so sad..:anguished:( dontwory gradma..I will teleport there and accompany you:D).

Love the conversation between ML and Rong..

Rong calling ML big sister., ml said it should be auntie or call her mother I think? But rong said she has a mother and ml is not her mom.,so ml just said call her daniang?(not sure).

Ml asked why she hvnt sleep yet..rong wants to see ml.rong wants to harm ml with her little stick.:lol:at last rong said she likes minglan.( thats only my undrestanding haha just trying)

Anyways why everytime gty laugh..im hearing like santa clouse:D his face when he saw rong sleepung on their bed:lol:on their first night:D.

4 minutes ago, darkphoenix123 said:

After seeing the 2 trailers I realized they mixed the clips from the 2 episodes into both trailers. So Episode 39 will be CB catching Rulan and the fallout and convincing grandma to all ML to marry GTY. Episode 40 will be QH mum being turned down and being told abt ML marrying GTY, QH reaction and him turned away by grandma and Xiaotao. So marriage is probably on Friday.

@leeza77I didn’t realize you were using google translate. Thank you for translating as much as you have cuz I understand the headache google translate gives you.

Welcome. No worries. Use translator software. Some words can not be translated and even the software told me.. Hmm i can't translate that.. Ha ha

45 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

Linniand doesn't own farmland from he main wife's dowry. They were some of Sheng family assets given to her by Sheng Hong when he still favoured her. She was mentioning Daniang to give Molan a big dowry when marrying her off.

Youe are right @linhlinh111  I miss read the subs.... Lol Thanks for the history on that era and explanation.  :D

3 hours ago, zenya22 said:

I understand that she was doing her duty. I just quoted what grandma said about debt which for me refers to the negotiation in the works and the conditons and concessions for negotiation that were set during the talk of the Countess and Big Madam. The Shengs are transacting for the acceptance of Molan to be bride to the Liang 6th son as she was caught in a compromising situation, her mother spread the rumors, her reputation is in ruins and the family's reputation and honor are at stake.  If the Liang family does not accept Molan the Shengs would be ruined. So there is a condition (debt) created that was caused by someones actions and that condition demands or needs to be countered or fulfilled. The countess will accept Molan the damaged goods if the Shengs will add the pure and whole Minglan. Granny clearing the debt for me means that she needs to put down something or set her own conditions to counter or cancel the demands (debt) laid out on the table. I just thought that it could be a bigger dowry that is all. 

More than the dowry, I suspect granny used another way to convince liang's mother to accept Molan. Remember Minglan already told granny what she found out abt Liang's son's womanizing habit. I bet granny in turn threatened to exposed abt her son's dirty laundry (having a mistress pregnant with his child) that no respectable family wud want to marry off their daughter to the Liang's 6th son.

1 hour ago, darkphoenix123 said:

Seeing his reaction to the news when his mum told him & those scene with GTY I am guessing he really will go down the vengeful ex-lover path! Does QH think before asking anything? I am guessing the news of the marriage between GTY & ML is spread around the town already and if it is broken & ML gets married to QH what would they say about her & the Sheng family? Did he think about that?

I dont think hes going to the vengeful path yet , GTY and QH are still not married at this point to seeing him make a last ditch effort to get her i understand.

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Qh: you know my heart has been with ml. why did u promise sheng family to marry her. What's your intention? 

Gty: u still thinking about her. U know, you proposal for ml was undecided. Why do you hasten to promise her and finally broke your promise? Broke her heart? 

Qh: so, this time it's going to be sure. I'll go to her house to propose. 

Gty: i don't blame u for that either. I'm just saying, u have difficulty in marrying her. Don't blame me for you being too late. 

Qh: no, she can't. 

Gty: how do you know that i'm not.i am willing to go all the way to marry her. 

Qh :how do you know she is willing to marry u?

Gty go and ask ml. Ask also her grandma. 

You go GTY tell him whats up bish is to late and as GTY said hes willing to go all the way to marry her. 

53 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

@ForgottenSoulx 

GTY then told CB to remind ML not to tell anyoneincluding the grandma that she came inside/into the palace“ this is exact translation of GTY’s last words to CB before getting on to carriage. That’s one of the points I was making about script not making sense. 

My word by word translation of what QH said to ML during their meeting after marriage:

Does he (GTY) like me (QH) cannot sleep many nights due to missing you” => meaning=> he loves her more than GTY. 

QH said similar thing to GTY before actual marriage. 

Those parts are badly written then i agree with you, was the bold part before or after GTY and ML got married. 

46 minutes ago, lxands said:

Yeah, I thought she wud see how her daughter's pathetic life gonna be after marrying a count household that she dream of so much..to bad she didnt live to see the miserable life she brought to her preciois daughter's life

Same i wanted her to see ML rise and become basically the queen of the outside palace. 

5 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Chingu you are correct revenge is best served cold. Ming Lan believed in an eye for an eye for example 1 corpse and 2 souls. Isn't that similar to Concubine Lin   ( 1 corpse and 2 souls)... Lol lol  at least she did not kill her sister too but in some way she did because she is now going to suffer and wish she was dead too. 

@UnniSarah  ML killed more then two stones.. Yes and eye for and eye exactly what concubine Lin did with her mother sevants same will happen to Lin servants.. Only two was beaten to death rest will be sold off as slaves.. In my opinion the old man did kill as he said.. He knew the punisher had those skills to beat a person to death.. When he found out exactly who she was that crush his heart.. Now with her being dead I guess he can sneakly replace big Mdm belongings back.. I'm hoping Mdm Liang kick Molan out.. I don't think Mo'er or Molan got the title of first wife because of the stain she came with it wouldn't suprise me if the countess will set out looking for a new main wife..

2 hours ago, Lunkera said:

Thanks for that clip. Older actress for Rong'er. Didn't understand anything but ML and Rong'er get along really well. GTY and ML is adorable. Felt sad for grandma.

@Lunkera  I felt so sad to see Granny cry out like that, She hated to let ML go but knew she had to for her very own future..

What I find strange is the expressions on step mom and sickly brothers faces, Wonder whats that all about.. Is they mad that GTY's wife comes from a very rich household and step mom mad about thety can't use any of her dowry.. I know Granny loaded her down with dowry gifts..  ML send off was way bigger then Mo'er, Which is not suprising that she didn;t show up showing off her so called countess title that may have turn her into concubine Mo'er.. 

1 hour ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

:lol: Rulan got caught a couple of times, ML saw first but didn’t say anything. At least, Rulan was still chaste and only held touched hands even though that’s still improper. Sheng family shenanigans at it again :lol:

Well @hello210  Is RL taking a page from Molan books to marry the man she wants..  

11 hours ago, Lunkera said:

@leeza77 Are you able to translate the beginning of the clip and the end of the clip?. Not line by line just what they are talking about? both of ML and GTY conversations

Love this clip xD 

Hide contents

There a 2-3 different clips and I have translated above epi 39 clip. I'm not a professional translator or native speaker but I think my Mandarin is ok. @leeza77I took a couple of your translated lines but fixed a few words.

CB: You have always been very busy these days. How come you have time today to come out to view flowers?

GTY: If there is good looking flowers, I will cut a bunch, you can take that flower bunch on behalf of me and give it to your sister.

GTY: If I were to able to marry your sister, I'm willing to do anything curry favor you. 

CB: good good. I now know your willingness and true-heart.

GTY: It is the truth. It is the truth.

Then they heard crying sound...

Rulan: I cannot betray/ discard Sheng family. So, I can only betray you.

CB: Sheng family!

He then went looking for the place the sound coming from, fell down

CB: you, you, you, what are you looking at (to his servants), then asked his servants to back out. 

Then, GTY came and CB called GTY's literary name (Zhong Huy) and tried to prevent him seeing the couple.

Grandma: Is Rulan trying to elope?

Hai shi:  Grandma, It is definitely not. This marriage came from heaven (basically emperor already knew and gave his blessing) and Rulan already decided to get married. This meeting is just to say goodbye. Unfortunately, GTY who wanted to let his dead mother know of his upcoming marriage (GTY mom's spiritual tablet is at the temple) took CB along with him to the temple ended up seeing the couple. It is just bad luck. 

SH: basically, you little animal.

WS: What are you trying to do? (since SH was holding white cloth to hang Rulan)

SH: What I am doing? I'll let her die. Then, the whole family die together. I thought you were different from Molan. You still did this unfavorable bad thing and also let GTY see your secret meeting. What are we going to do with you being alive? It will be best if you are dead.

(Not sure who was getting beaten, may be RL's maid?)

Grandma: Don't you even think about it! You are also her father and how could you come up with this kind of idea? What kind of person is GTY? Can you trick him? Can he tolerate having sands in his eyes? (can he tolerate you tricking him?) 

SH: GTY said emperor already knew about this marriage

Grandma: then...Can emperor use knife to force my granddaughter to marry? 

WS: Outside, GTY only said that he would marry di daughter of Sheng family. He did not say the name of the girl. ML is already recorded under my name and also considered di daughter. We can let outsiders know, It has always been ML betrothed to Gu family and RL betrothed to Wen family. Like this, it will be good for both...no, it will be good for all three families.  

Grandma: you black-hearted bad couple! You cannot take away ML from me forcefully unless you kill me with blow to my head. 

Gty: u still thinking about her? I thought you already gave up. You cannot blame me for your misfortune for not being able to propose to her before.

QH: It is not like for you, you must marry her.

GTY: How do you know what I'm thinking? (How do you know she isn't THE ONE for me?)

CB (voice over): My 6th sister is not a regular girl. You cannot look at her usual warm, quiet (doesn't fight),  obedient nature. She is very determined after she decided on something. 

5 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

There a 2-3 different clips and I have translated above epi 39 clip. I'm not a professional translator or native speaker but I think my Mandarin is ok. @leeza77I took a couple of your translated lines but fixed a few words.

CB: You have always been very busy these days. How come you have time today to come out to view flowers?

GTY: If there is good looking flowers, I will cut a bunch, you can take that flower bunch on behalf of me and give it to your sister.

GTY: If I were to able to marry your sister, I'm willing to do anything curry favor you. 

CB: good good. I now know your willingness and true-heart.

GTY: It is the truth. It is the truth.

Then they heard crying sound...

Rulan: I cannot betray/ discard Sheng family. So, I can only betray you.

CB: Sheng family!

He then went looking for the place the sound coming from, fell down

CB: you, you, you, what are you looking at (to his servants), then asked his servants to back out. 

Then, GTY came and CB called GTY's literary name (Zhong Huy) and tried to prevent him seeing the couple.

Grandma: Is Rulan trying to elope?

Hai shi:  Grandma, It is definitely not. This marriage came from heaven (basically emperor already knew and gave his blessing) and Rulan already decided to get married. This meeting is just to say goodbye. Unfortunately, GTY who wanted to let his dead mother know of his upcoming marriage (GTY mom's spiritual tablet is at the temple) took CB along with him to the temple ended up seeing the couple. It is just bad luck. 

SH: basically, you little animal.

WS: What are you trying to do? (since SH was holding white cloth to hang Rulan)

SH: What I am doing? I'll let her die. Then, the whole family die together. I thought you were different from Molan. You still did this unfavorable bad thing and also let GTY see your secret meeting. What are we going to do with you being alive? It will be best if you are dead.

Grandma: Don't you even think about it! You are also her father and how could you come up with this kind of idea? What kind of person is GTY? Can you trick him? Can he tolerate your doing? 

SH: GTY said emperor already knew about this marriage

Grandma: then...Can emperor use knife to force my granddaughter to marry him? 

WS: Outside, GTY only said that he would marry di daughter of Sheng family. He did not say the name of the girl. ML is already recorded under my name and also considered di daughter. 

Grandma: you black-hearted bad couple! You cannot take away ML from me forcefully unless you kill me with blow to my head. 

Gty: u still thinking about her? I thought you already gave up. You cannot blame me for your misfortune for not being able to propose to her before.

QH: It is not like for you, you must marry her.

GTY: How do you know what I'm thinking? (How do you know she isn't THE ONE for me?

CB (voice over): My 6th sister is not a regular girl. You cannot look at her usual warm, quiet (doesn't fight),  obedient nature. She is very determined after she decided on something. 

Thank you so much for the translations! Looking forward to tomorrow’s episodes

Archived