[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

I just want to say I love Shitou (GTY’s servant/body guard) and Xiaotao’s characters. And for some reason, in the episode where GTY was confronting ML at the snack shop, and ML told the servants to go get some kind of seed, I thought the way Xiaotao looked at Shitou by the door seemed like they would be a hilarious couple if they were to get together.

• Like 5
  • LOL 6

13 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

I think he purposely mislead cb knowing thst cb's was not that insightful fellow, he will directly presumed it was his sister rulan. He won't directly say ml's name as he knew grandma disapproved of him. So, when rulan was no longer a possibility, he magnanimously asked for ml's hand. 

I forgot about grandma being disapproving of him. Even when talking about 6th Liang son she said 'he is worse than second master Gu'...I can't wait for tomorrow 7 Thursday episodes. 

I think marriage will be on ep40 & 39 is when they will be betrothed

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, darkphoenix123 said:

I forgot about grandma being disapproving of him. Even when talking about 6th Liang son she said 'he is worse than second master Gu'...I can't wait for tomorrow 7 Thursday episodes. 

I think marriage will be on ep40 & 39 is when they will be betrothed

Spoiler

A very short one. So, possibly the marriage also on the 40th.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

A very short one. So, possibly the marriage also on the 40th.

There was a scene in one of the OSTs where ML & GTY were coming out of the palace with her maids & Shitou behind them and she was in her pre-marriage hairstyle. There was another scene with both of them in the same clothes in a field where he bowed to her & she laughed. That's why I thought there will be a betrothal

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, hello210 said:

I think the mom said that she understood what QH wanted and would speak with Sheng family...meaning try and ask for ML.

I think if QH passed the exam's then begged his mother she would have gave in i think.

34 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

Hello All. Can someone please translate these two previews. 37 & 38

Hide contents

Hide contents

I had to crack up at dad and mom when the brother told them secong uncles like ML.. Dad almost choke mom just about fell off the bed:w00t:

Boy subs are copming like snails. I hate when I start a serious early on I get so interested in it makes me angry with myself for starting at the begaining.. 

I really curious to what GTY sickly brother and the two faced step mom conversation..

Omg that reaction from them is hilarious. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

I think he purposely mislead cb knowing thst cb's was not that insightful fellow, he will directly presumed it was his sister rulan. He won't directly say ml's name as he knew grandma disapproved of him. So, when rulan was no longer a possibility, he magnanimously asked for ml's hand. 

I dont think he would use CB like that but maybe thats just me. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Maria Brimstone said:

Same, even the father thought that the description suited ML more than RL. So I think this means that CB's just a blockhead

Spoiler

Gty was a direct person. He won't say something that lead to misunderstanding unless he want cb to perceive so. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Also if Lin was smarter she would not have been caught like this, also there is a reason why no-one helped Molan when she was in trouble/will in trouble. She could have doomed the whole sheng family with her scheme's. 

@ForgottenSoulx  Lin had been so manipulative in that house always scheming to have all the attention mainly on her and her children.. What she failed to realizes keeping the very child oppressed by them would come back to bite her in the behind.. Molan called ML a Lowly Bich her or mom was never aware of the very viper they both degraded the black anger that she shielded in her heart.. I was all to happy when Lin figured out how calculating and manipulative ML can be.. Not only did she die from sickness but also sickness in the heart seeing how better ML is in the game of calculation and manipulation that Molan was no match for her not even Lin herself could beat ML and she knew this before she died and it was nothing she could do about it or no one to help her or Molan..  When ML went to see her the last time just her action by not saying nothing told Lin what she knew and showed her the revenge best served cold.. You go girl..

1 hour ago, cherubstomato said:

I’m not sure if Madam winter would deliberately make her life a hell or she would lower herself like hualan’s mother in law. But I think she just wouldn’t care nor help Molan in trying to control the harem. That’s why she was looking for someone like Minglan who can take that headache from her. Someone who can have control since she said to her son she doesn’t care who he has in his bed as long as he gets a proper wife. Knowing Molan, she won’t be able to handle the harem. And that’ll be her karma. 

@cherubstomato  Mdm Winter wanted ML because it would leave her to be in control at all times.. She knew a wife like Molan who is and attention seeker and wants to be center of attention at all times wanting her beauty to work for her but don't know how to use her brains will keep a lot of commotion going on in the home.. When ML will want everything calm a peaceful no outside gossip will be going on if she's the main wife Molan a whole different story when she has watch first hand all the wrong things her mom has done..  I truly think Mdm Winter wouldn't let her rest peacefully knowing that she has tainted her home with such a scandal and by now knows that it was her mom to spread the news.. Believe me it's being talk about how she entered that home by the other noble households and with her husband dirty business.. I'm sure she also has figured out ML trick her good, not only did she get what she wanted but she got him and some, A concubine and a kid on the way, Being who she is the concubine will have a title after her name.. I thought after the Kings death they house isn't as glorious even QH house should be the same.. 

41 minutes ago, darkphoenix123 said:

Is it petty of me to want QH's mom to ask for Minglan's hand after she becomes betrothed to GTY? It's a nice payback for the way she kinda low-key humiliated Minglan and her grandma with those pearls...

@darkphoenix123  The slap to her face is when she's bethroed to the second Gu, Not only did she help the new emperor but she also help the old one to he also stop the rebels..  As ML raise above it all she'll regret not letting her son have his way from the beginning..  

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Maria Brimstone said:

He must've wanted to strangle CB so badly after he made a giant mistake lol

Spoiler

Man Strangling Other Man : Stock Illustration

I SAID ML NOT RL :w00t:

42 minutes ago, havennoah30 said:

i wonder  if the father knew of the murder of minglans birth mother by his concubine thats why he flag her viciously and all the years she played him in her hand 

@havennoah30  I think he did know and if ML would have been older maybe 15 or 16 he would have had to take the matter at task.. He just brush it off as the dead can';t come back to life why bring the shame upom my household.. He hasd just moved to the capital such scandal going around sure would have made it to the King ears

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Im glad Hualan gets some help i really feel alot of sympathy for her, sad its after more suffering. 

Your saying GTY never suffer's so losing his mother when young , his father's death which was blamed on him. His hate from his brother , betrayal by step mother also Betrayal by MN.. Son is kidnapped.

If were talking about suffering hes had is way worse then ML and QH and its not even close its just that hes strong to deal with it and wont break down.

I didn't say GTY didn't suffer, it just wasn't for ML. All of QH's suffering and awakening till now was for ML. Basically ML was the reason for his growing up. ML had more influence on QH than GTY. ML now was just a small part in GTY's life and she didn't affect him that much. Their fates only start to intertwine after marriage when he's already mature and successful. So the earlier miserable part of his life has nothing to do with ML.

• Like 8

Wow this thread is really moving fast. I am still at episode 32.

The Sheng family are a hoot!! Without them this drama would be less entertaining!! This drama could have been titled the Story of the Sheng Family and would still be an audience drawer.

32: The marriage negotiation of Molan

I must say that Countess Liang gave her all in a fight for Minglan and lost yet is one cunning negotiator, going for the kill when she thought she had cornered the Shengs with "I will accept Molan as concubine if you add Ming Lan as the main wife." Sheng Hong the shameless father was going to agree and sacrifice Ming Lan to save his sorry richard simmons, the father who got duped by a woman's skin deep beauty but a skunk beneath.   

The Liang family got plenty of bribe dowry from grandma to save Ming Lan from becoming their daughter in law. Molan might have thought that grandma's dowry was given for the Liang to accept her but that is the very issue that the countess will not ever let Molan forget and will throw in Molan's face, that grandma's dowry was not given for her but was given by grandma to save Ming Lan. The countess will forever blame Molan's disgraceful behavior as the cause of losing Ming Lan as her daugher in law. Molan will always be compared to the other daughters of nobility as more worthy and Molaer will regret ever becoming the daugher in law.  

The marriage negotiation between Countess Liang and Big Mama was so funny with the metaphors they used and the countess was not holding back her opinions about the disgraceful Molan and stated clearly her reasons for choosing Ming Lan.  

Countess: a daughter dog like her and you have not beaten her to death yet and came here to discuss marriage? 

Big Mama: but the 6th is a daughter of concubine and you like her because you are magnanimous and not petty (implication: you should be able to accept the 4th daughter of a concubine)

Countess: you have in your hand a pan full of poop and you beg me to accept?

Big Mama: One hand does not clap by itself, your 6th son is without fault either and people will talk and gossip and both our houses will be injured. Let us turn weapons into jade and silk, if we become in laws idle talk will disappear like smoke and clouds. 

Countess: Let me tell you my thoughts. I don't care about birth status concubine or legitimate, but it is Minglan's intelligent, confident and cool disposition. Whether she is concubine or legitimate, I like her either way. Your fourth daughter (she does not even say the name) is different and you and I know what I am talking about. My son was at fault but Minglan would never commit such a lewd act. And yet you want to exchange Molan for Minglan, is that not slapping me in the face? I know you are in a difficult position since this issue is like having swallowed a fly which is disgusting whether alive or dead. Then let me ease your worries and offer a compromise, I will accept Molan as a concubine as long as I will get Ming Lan as a first wife. 

This conversation is a foreshadowing of what Molan the dog daughter who should have been beaten to death, pan of poop etc will go through at the Liang Manor. She will also be greeted by a pregnant woman whom she would have to accept as concubine the minute she enters the manor's door. As for the the Sheng house, good riddance!!  

No lavish wedding for her either, no one looks happy except for Linniang and the send off looks more like a funeral than a wedding send off 

• Like 10
  • LOL 3

4 hours ago, minglan1 said:

I agree chances of him finding out is slim.While watching epi 33 I was reminded of this.How little people around ML know of her.Even her grandmother couldn't  believe she could scheme concubine Lin's downfall and death in such a daring manner.

QH got a rude awakening from his 1st wife's family it might have brought about some character growth in him.The next episodes will give us an idea if he is still stuck in the idealistic world or has become more worldly wise.

I am curious to know how GTY would react to ML's scheming tricks. He does resort to them too.

I just finished watching up to 32 subbed, and even I've got to say ML played them all...

In Episode 30/31, when after their fight, XiaoTao was getting angry on behalf of ML cuz after all that's done and her face hurt, Molan was still let off the hook early. 

And then ML simply said "we'll just need to incite something bigger than they can't cover up"...with the most innocent looking smile on her face...

That scene, even I was scared of ML...

Just so...unreadable. 

And you are right. I don't think many could see through her, that she's capable of that kind of revenge. 

1 hour ago, frenchfan said:

Yep.  They were slained during the rebellion inside the palace.

This trailer got me so cracked up...it was funny seeing all their reactions.  CB got the wrong end of the stick.  GTY was trying to give heavy hints without mentioning the name thinking that his friend would understand.  LOLLLLLLLLL  And the father said something like "But they way you described, it seems like it is Minglan not Rulan...."  

I thought that bit of the dad's reaction was hilarious too. I was thinking if only CB know...:lol:

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:

If ml didn't do the scheme, the result would be the same. Linniang and molan were strived to trap the 6th son of liang. The would do everything for that. Beside, the one who told the public about molan's incident was linniang. 

I wouldnt disagree....but I think she did give them a push..ie making Molan panic when ML kept showing off, egging her to act and act quickly. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, kadie said:

Looks like the QH young lord passed in the next round of imperial exams, but what else is his mother saying to him?

39 Preview

After the horrible experience in the palace during the rebellion, Qi Heng's mother finally agreed that she was wrong and told Qi Heng that they will go to the Sheng household and ask for Ming Lan's hand in marriage

• Like 11

5 hours ago, JoycceeDreamer said:

I wonder how things would have gone if GTY did not trick anyone... if he in the beginning just asked for ML. Since the novel is different from the drama... it would be nice to see if grandma would leave it up to ML .. and if ML would have agreed to this marriage .. 

Even when CB told his parents about it ...

Reveal hidden contents

I wonder if they were surprised because they don't want their daughter to marry GTY or they did? 

If gty didnt resolve into trickery, grandma would have fought him from marrying minglan. She’d probably make her marry doctor He that instant, or snuck her out of the city. 

But by making cb thinks it was RL, he put the Sheng family in an awkward position, he made it was RL’s fault for getting captured with the scholar, and now that the emperor knew his fav gty already proposed to the Sheng family, if words got out that the bethrotal is cancelled, Sheng’s house would have suffered great embarrassment, not to mention the emperor’s wrath 

Only poor cb got to witness the humiliation of capturing her sister:sweatingbullets:

I also dont have any pity for concubine lin and molan. CL isnt gray, she's black hearted. Grey is molan, scheming for her life, but CL took someone else’s life. Definitely a bad person with no redeeming quality. 

Spoiler

And I think she got off easy, ML’s mom died of childbirth. One of the most excruciating death, CL should have at least suffer more for her wrongdoings

I see some here like RL’s character, I'm leaning on the dislike a bit, I just hate how she always mention illegitimate, knowing her place etc. Her sisterly love is limited

Spoiler

She even admitted by her yielding the Liang family to ML, it will bring ML difficulties. And she said it with no compassion whatsoever. She’s not only spoiled but also entitled. Whenever ML give her something, she always mention how thoughtful of ML and how she knows her place. In her heart she doesnt think of ML as her sister. At least hualan is sincere, RL just think she’s doing a favor by getting along with ML. I dont remember her like this in the novel tho

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

If gty didnt resolve into trickery, grandma would have fought him from marrying minglan. She’d probably make her marry doctor He that instant, or snuck her out of the city. 

But by making cb thinks it was RL, he put the Sheng family in an awkward position, he made it was RL’s fault for getting captured with the scholar, and now that the emperor knew his fav gty already proposed to the Sheng family, if words got out that the bethrotal is cancelled, Sheng’s house would have suffered great embarrassment, not to mention the emperor’s wrath 

Only poor cb got to witness the humiliation of capturing her sister:sweatingbullets:

I also dont have any pity for concubine lin and molan. CL isnt gray, she's black hearted. Grey is molan, scheming for her life, but CL took someone else’s life. Definitely a bad person with no redeeming quality. 

Hide contents

And I think she got off easy, ML’s mom died of childbirth. One of the most excruciating death, CL should have at least suffer more for her wrongdoings

I see some here like RL’s character, I'm leaning on the dislike a bit, I just hate how she always mention illegitimate, knowing her place etc. Her sisterly love is limited

Hide contents

She even admitted by her yielding the Liang family to ML, it will bring ML difficulties. And she said it with no compassion whatsoever. She’s not only spoiled but also entitled. Whenever ML give her something, she always mention how thoughtful of ML and how she knows her place. In her heart she doesnt think of ML as her sister. At least hualan is sincere, RL just think she’s doing a favor by getting along with ML. I dont remember her like this in the novel tho

She was a spoiled brat and thinking highly of herself. Lazy. But she's not malicious. I laughed when rulan told her mother that ml was stupid.. Whilst the stupid one was her.. Ha ha. Hualan was excellent, good manner. She and cb has not follow the trait of their parents (maybe both of them were adopted.. Joking} :joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

32 minutes ago, hello210 said:

In my opinion, GTY’s scheme to swap Rulan for ML  is no different than ML’s, planting a word here and there, using the right opportunity at the right times. Rulan was already interested in someone else and meeting that person. He just had to make sure it was witnessed similar to Molan getting caught but Rulan is more innocent, just holding hands. I can see why he would have to resort to it if CB misunderstood and gave his parents the wrong name. If he just went and said, no wrong person, it would have probably caused some issues with Daniang since at that point, GTY was a good catch.  

Yeah i dont mind the way he done it i think it was smart but he sorta used CB maybe which im not sure i like. 

31 minutes ago, Maria Brimstone said:

He must've wanted to strangle CB so badly after he made a giant mistake lol

lmfao he had the biggest facepalm ever i guess ;p

2 hours ago, frenchfan said:

I know right.  GTY thought he was being obvious and CB was clueless.  He is one of my fav character.  Basically he is the only one who doesn't bully ML and he is so nice.  I must say that Sheng mama has born Sheng Hong two well brought up kids.  Her son passed exam and become an official and her daughters are pretty much well behaved.  Rulan is a little spoilt but she did not harm anyone.  She does bully ML into doing her chores though... :) 

I see Rulan as typical sister like you always get your younger sister to do stuff and boss her around xd

2 hours ago, m0us3y said:

In recent episodes, we see the ML pretty much staked the family honor, her future, her siblings future, her loyalty to Sheng all in the name of avenging the mom. 

Right or wrong, it depends on which perspective we are looking from, but that's her choice. And she carried it out without hesitation. Even if it means there's a price to pay. 

QH can't have everything without giving something up....and that's something he needs to learn and understand. 

Even if ML did not do that they was heading in that direction ML just speed it up.

2 hours ago, mayonnaisepan said:

i haven't used my soompi account in so long but i've become re-obsessed with watching chinese dramas again and now am hooked on minglan so after lurking here for about 20 pages, have decided to come out of hiding!

just a quick summary of QH's conversation with his mother (not 100% translated):

QH passes the exam and his mother is overjoyed and says at least something good has happened. QH then says he has something he wants to beg of his mother. before QH can actually put into words what he wants to ask for, his mother says she understands what is it he wants and blames herself. she says forcing him to marry the princess was wrong and that now that QH has passed the exam/made a name for himself (basically now that he has actual status to his name, i guess), to propose marriage again would not seem like such an aggrievance for ML. then QH's mother says she'll go to the Sheng family and definitely get this marriage. 

If only he was faster damn i do feel for him.

2 hours ago, hello210 said:

I just want to say I love Shitou (GTY’s servant/body guard) and Xiaotao’s characters. And for some reason, in the episode where GTY was confronting ML at the snack shop, and ML told the servants to go get some kind of seed, I thought the way Xiaotao looked at Shitou by the door seemed like they would be a hilarious couple if they were to get together.

omg yes please i love them both.

1 hour ago, darkphoenix123 said:

There was a scene in one of the OSTs where ML & GTY were coming out of the palace with her maids & Shitou behind them and she was in her pre-marriage hairstyle. There was another scene with both of them in the same clothes in a field where he bowed to her & she laughed. That's why I thought there will be a betrothal

Omg so close i cant wait to see ML and GTY in love ahhhhhhhh.

• Like 3

I just wondered how the GTY-RL/ML will play out. 

Because as we can see when Molan made a mess and then the mom and dad wanted to "sacrifice" ML to pacify Liang Family and conclude the matter, grandma pretty much threw in the towel and said ML is no sacrificial lamb! 

So when the RL case unfolds, and they want to swap the bride, isnt that a similar issue? 

Throw ML to the firepit (although we know it's not really a firepit) to pacify Gu Family? 

• Like 5