[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

I too don’t feel any sympathy for Molan and Concubine Lin. :lol: unlike how I felt pity for MN as of now. We’ll see later if she makes a comeback. 

For one, they reap what they sow. They are pitiful but I’m not sympathetic. First of all Concubine Lin had a chance to become a proper main wife but she didn’t want to be with a poor man thus she did a Manniang style to Sheng Hong, pretending to be pitiful. She never cared about him, she just cared about money. Sure it could be about life and death for some of these woman but it wasn’t as if she would starve to death had they both married the other man. They were just greedy for money and status like mother and daughter.

The father chose a suitable partner for Molan but all they cared about is how poor he was despite the father saying he has a promising career which will ultimately make them very fortunate in the future. But nope they want self gratification right now and they don’t want to bet on chances. Not even meeting the guy. 

Hualan thought Molan became who she was being raised by her mother but it was just the way she was. And it’s true. She was always trying hard to be the center of attention, she always wanted to outdo her sisters. She even with her real brother only cared about herself and her future... She always throws fits if she didn’t get what she wants. She is a very jealous person. Sheng Hong doting on them must be because of Concubine Lin acting pitiful that they are just concubines and don’t have great fortune as a main wife. This causing him to neglect Big Madam. But now he realizes all the love he gave to them was in vain.

All the evil deeds they did they must pay for.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, havennoah30 said:

did QH wife and family died?

Yep.  They were slained during the rebellion inside the palace.

8 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

In gty conversations with cb he actually didn't say that he wanted to marry rulan. He just say he loved cb's sister and cb asked which sister. Gty said naturally the beautiful one. Cb misunderstood he meant for rulan thus told the parents so. Ml told rulan about gty wanted to marry rulan andd rulan said better he married you. But ml said he didn't want me. Did it mean that ml has gty in his heart already??? 

This trailer got me so cracked up...it was funny seeing all their reactions.  CB got the wrong end of the stick.  GTY was trying to give heavy hints without mentioning the name thinking that his friend would understand.  LOLLLLLLLLL  And the father said something like "But they way you described, it seems like it is Minglan not Rulan...."  

10 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

In gty conversations with cb he actually didn't say that he wanted to marry rulan. He just say he loved cb's sister and cb asked which sister. Gty said naturally the beautiful one. Cb misunderstood he meant for rulan thus told the parents so. Ml told rulan about gty wanted to marry rulan andd rulan said better he married you. But ml said he didn't want me. Did it mean that ml has gty in his heart already??? 

Omg i love it hes such a trickster.

4 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

I too don’t feel any sympathy for Molan and Concubine Lin. :lol: unlike how I felt pity for MN as of now. We’ll see later if she makes a comeback. 

For one, they reap what they sow. They are pitiful but I’m not sympathetic. First of all Concubine Lin had a chance to become a proper main wife but she didn’t want to be with a poor man thus she did a Manniang style to Sheng Hong, pretending to be pitiful. She never cared about him, she just cared about money. Sure it could be about life and death for some of these woman but it wasn’t as if she would starve to death had they both married the other man. They were just greedy for money and status like mother and daughter.

The father chose a suitable partner for Molan but all they cared about is how poor he was despite the father saying he has a promising career which will ultimately make them very fortunate in the future. But nope they want self gratification right now and they don’t want to bet on chances. Not even meeting the guy. 

Hualan thought Molan became who she was being raised by her mother but it was just the way she was. And it’s true. She was always trying hard to be the center of attention, she always wanted to outdo her sisters. She even with her real brother only cared about herself and her future... She always throws fits if she didn’t get what she wants. She is a very jealous person. Sheng Hong doting on them must be because of Concubine Lin acting pitiful that they are just concubines and don’t have great fortune as a main wife. This causing him to neglect Big Madam. But now he realizes all the love he gave to them was in vain.

All the evil deeds they did they must pay for.

I feel no pity for Any of them including MN am i heartless or something, i wonder what the 3rd brother does and thinks of all this.. his Mother died and sister in another house what does he do.

I feel Pity for Big Madam for having to suffer humiliation at the hands of Sheng and Lin. 

14 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

This trailer got me so cracked up...it was funny seeing all their reactions.  CB got the wrong end of the stick.  GTY was trying to give heavy hints without mentioning the name thinking that his friend would understand.  LOLLLLLLLLL  And the father said something like "But they way you described, it seems like it is Minglan not Rulan...."  

23 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think that in drama they will change the reason GTY schemes. Even when he was speaking with the emperor he never mentioned Rulan. I think GTY realizes later that CB mistook for Rulan and then starts scheming to get Minglan because of CB’s mistake. 

18 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

was the lady was related to the one committed suicide hang herself?

Hello All. Can someone please translate these two previews. 37 & 38

Spoiler

Spoiler

I had to crack up at dad and mom when the brother told them secong uncles like ML.. Dad almost choke mom just about fell off the bed:w00t:

Boy subs are copming like snails. I hate when I start a serious early on I get so interested in it makes me angry with myself for starting at the begaining.. 

I really curious to what GTY sickly brother and the two faced step mom conversation..

8 minutes ago, darkphoenix123 said:

I think that in drama they will change the reason GTY schemes. Even when he was speaking with the emperor he never mentioned Rulan. I think GTY realizes later that CB mistook for Rulan and then starts scheming to get Minglan because of CB’s mistake. 

Spoiler

I think he purposely mislead cb knowing thst cb's was not that insightful fellow, he will directly presumed it was his sister rulan. He won't directly say ml's name as he knew grandma disapproved of him. So, when rulan was no longer a possibility, he magnanimously asked for ml's hand. 

In my opinion, GTY’s scheme to swap Rulan for ML  is no different than ML’s, planting a word here and there, using the right opportunity at the right times. Rulan was already interested in someone else and meeting that person. He just had to make sure it was witnessed similar to Molan getting caught but Rulan is more innocent, just holding hands. I can see why he would have to resort to it if CB misunderstood and gave his parents the wrong name. If he just went and said, no wrong person, it would have probably caused some issues with Daniang since at that point, GTY was a good catch.  

16 minutes ago, havennoah30 said:

was the lady was related to the one committed suicide hang herself?

Yes, the one who committed suicide (after being abducted, beaten and raped then thrwon out of the horse carriage) was the royal concubine's sister. 

@linhlinh111 @artbox

I agree that there's probably not much meaning to compare QH and GTY. Simply because they are 2 very different individuals with a different upbringing, background and belief. 

Their personalities are also very different, and they both have attributes which are admirable, and attributes which are less than admirable. 

The beauty about the show is we do not have a single person that's perfect in character (except CB maybe, but that's probably only because he hasn't got enough screentime to see his flaws).

They are all flawed in one way or another. 

There are attributes that QH has that GTY doesn't. And vice versa. 

The question here is then which attributes do we prefer to see as a person. There's also no right/wrong answers here. 

Some places priorities in filial piety, others in believing what their own principles are, even if they are questionable. 

I wouldn't necessarily say QH put ML in danger, but he surely did put her in a very awkward place- humiliating. Not by QH's choice if I may add, but that's the result. 

The capital were all saying things behind her back that she was after the Qi family, even if QH was the one doing the chasing and she didn't actually do anything wrong. 

As @gleek49 said, it comes down mainly to how we perceive them, based on our own bias, and who would be better suited for ML as her partner. 

In the end, it's the choices they made that define them. And each choice they make have risks and consequences. It just depends on how much they are willing to stake, how much they are willing to lose to trade for what they want to gain...

In recent episodes, we see the ML pretty much staked the family honor, her future, her siblings future, her loyalty to Sheng all in the name of avenging the mom. 

Right or wrong, it depends on which perspective we are looking from, but that's her choice. And she carried it out without hesitation. Even if it means there's a price to pay. 

QH can't have everything without giving something up....and that's something he needs to learn and understand. 

1 minute ago, Maria Brimstone said:

He must've wanted to strangle CB so badly after he made a giant mistake lol

I know right.  GTY thought he was being obvious and CB was clueless.  He is one of my fav character.  Basically he is the only one who doesn't bully ML and he is so nice.  I must say that Sheng mama has born Sheng Hong two well brought up kids.  Her son passed exam and become an official and her daughters are pretty much well behaved.  Rulan is a little spoilt but she did not harm anyone.  She does bully ML into doing her chores though... :) 

2 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

@linhlinh111 @artbox

I agree that there's probably not much meaning to compare QH and GTY. Simply because they are 2 very different individuals with a different upbringing, background and belief. 

Their personalities are also very different, and they both have attributes which are admirable, and attributes which are less than admirable. 

The beauty about the show is we do not have a single person that's perfect in character (except CB maybe, but that's probably only because he hasn't got enough screentime to see his flaws).

They are all flawed in one way or another. 

There are attributes that QH has that GTY doesn't. And vice versa. 

The question here is then which attributes do we prefer to see as a person. There's also no right/wrong answers here. 

Some places priorities in filial piety, others in believing what their own principles are, even if they are questionable. 

I wouldn't necessarily say QH put ML in danger, but he surely did put her in a very awkward place- humiliating. Not by QH's choice if I may add, but that's the result. 

The capital were all saying things behind her back that she was after the Qi family, even if QH was the one doing the chasing and she didn't actually do anything wrong. 

As @gleek49 said, it comes down mainly to how we perceive them, based on our own bias, and who would be better suited for ML as her partner. 

In the end, it's the choices they made that define them. And each choice they make have risks and consequences. It just depends on how much they are willing to stake, how much they are willing to lose to trade for what they want to gain...

In recent episodes, we see the ML pretty much staked the family honor, her future, her siblings future, her loyalty to Sheng all in the name of avenging the mom. 

Right or wrong, it depends on which perspective we are looking from, but that's her choice. And she carried it out without hesitation. Even if it means there's a price to pay. 

QH can't have everything without giving something up....and that's something he needs to learn and understand. 

If ml didn't do the scheme, the result would be the same. Linniang and molan were strived to trap the 6th son of liang. The would do everything for that. Beside, the one who told the public about molan's incident was linniang. 

i haven't used my soompi account in so long but i've become re-obsessed with watching chinese dramas again and now am hooked on minglan so after lurking here for about 20 pages, have decided to come out of hiding!

just a quick summary of QH's conversation with his mother (not 100% translated):

QH passes the exam and his mother is overjoyed and says at least something good has happened. QH then says he has something he wants to beg of his mother. before QH can actually put into words what he wants to ask for, his mother says she understands what is it he wants and blames herself. she says forcing him to marry the princess was wrong and that now that QH has passed the exam/made a name for himself (basically now that he has actual status to his name, i guess), to propose marriage again would not seem like such an aggrievance for ML. then QH's mother says she'll go to the Sheng family and definitely get this marriage. 

Archived