[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

It takes two to tango. If Molan and her mother weren’t such foxes they wouldn’t fall for the trap. They would’ve done something sooner or later because they planned out everything. Minglan didn’t tell them to go do something shameful she just knew they would. That’s why Concubine Lin had all things planned out what to say and what to do to make sure there was no way out of getting Molan married to Liang. Minglan just pushed them to do it sooner, maybe because her aunt can’t stay in the temple forever haha. I kid. 

If QH will be afraid of Minglan for doing what she did if he even finds it out than he is a wuss..Either way he has no right to judge her actions. And he really doesn’t deserve Minglan and he doesn’t know squat...

My applause.. You nailed it. :grin:

6 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Ahhh. So that's what he said???

That sentence I actually didn't quite understand. I only understood ML's response...

Okay. That's bad....

Doesn't matter if GTY heard it. It's just bad....

In fact, it doesn't seem very much to be in his character. 

He may be a lil weak and all, but he seems like a gentleman that knows how to respect her and GTY enough to say those words. 

It’s likely he heard. I assume it would be more dramatic if he heard her saying that they couldn’t come back, they were married. If he didn’t hear, it would be less effective. 

48 minutes ago, fra8 said:

True, but this shows he fell for someone he doesn’t know. Minglan is also a smart woman capable of manipulation.

And thats the reason I cannot believe in his love for ML. He never knew ML. Never knew what was in her mind and her heart. And did he even ask? I think I've heard GTY ask her at least twice in their recent encounters......'What do you think?' (Just throwing this in coz I remembered it while writing the last sentence)

By the words she said to her granny....ML herself knew her feelings for QH had slowly changed to that of guilt for causing QH's situation. And that was the only emotion keeping her holding on to him. Her love/attraction had turned to pity by then. 

34 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Which was why I asked in earlier episodes if QH really loved ML for the sweet innocent girl he knows, the fake facade she puts up. Or perhaps he's in love with the idea of being with me. Maybe he just wants what he couldn't have. 

Because I don't think he truly knows ML. 

ML has never opened up to him. Third conversation always center around his feelings for her. Or things he got her. 

QH doesn't even know that she can ride horses and play polo!

Then again, if QH got ML, maybe she will continue being the ML everyone saw. Which was why she told GTY she can't live for herself. 

And GTY was keen to get her live as herself, for hwrself, which is why she came out from her shell after that?

Just imagining her living her entire life pretending to be someone she's not is making me sad for her.

Then add to it all those rules and customs of the noble family. She'd have suffocated to death.

2 minutes ago, dito said:

Just imagining her living her entire life pretending to be someone she's not is making me sad for her.

Then add to it all those rules and customs of the noble family. She'd have suffocated to death.

Spoiler

Well, as uncle 2 said, wait for me. Things will be changed.. 

7 minutes ago, dito said:

And thats the reason I cannot believe in his love for ML. He never knew ML. Never knew what was in her mind and her heart. And did he even ask? I think I've heard GTY ask her at least twice in their recent encounters......'What do you think?' (Just throwing this in coz I remembered it while writing the last sentence)

By the words she said to her granny....ML herself knew her feelings for QH had slowly changed to that of guilt for causing QH's situation. And that was the only emotion keeping her holding on to him. Her love/attraction had turned to pity by then. 

Well said! 

GTY has always shown interest in what she thinks. From the class debate, to the situation of the country in general. 

I think...guess...she still liked him. 

But there's definitely a guilt trip for her...that guilt, pity and disloyalty made her give him the promise that if he doesn't give up, she wouldn't too. I don't think that was driven purely out of love...

I think you've hit the nail in the head. 

13 minutes ago, dito said:

It is sad. But I think that's something she was prepared for tho. To live her whole life with a mask. 

For as we all know, other than GTY (which she wasn't looking as a potential husband, more a saviour and "uncle") and grandma, no one else truly seen her as her. 

Dr he may have small glimpses in Youyang but that's it. 

Which was why she said she admires GTY for being able to live for himself...

That...is really sad...

Such intelligence. Such wisdom. Just locked away...

22 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

I feel the same as for the second lead in Yanxi Palace. He had his chance and ruined it. I guess this incident happens shortly after the marriage when GTY is insecure how ML feels for him.

In the book it happens after their kids are born....or atleast one of them is...not sure about the drama.

I remember GTY sleeping in his study for sometime after the fight. And at night, he'd carry his sleeping son to sleep with him in the study...coz he missed him.

They may change the sequence of the events in the drama as they did with ML telling him about her mother's death and her life in the house. This conversation happens after their big fight...when they make up.

7 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Well, as uncle 2 said, wait for me. Things will be changed.. 

Lol...yes she'll live the free life in ershu's house.... Sleep all she wants, eat all she wants without worrying about gaining weight.

2 hours ago, m0us3y said:

It is sad. But I think that's something she was prepared for tho. To live her whole life with a mask. 

For as we all know, other than GTY (which she wasn't looking as a potential husband, more a saviour and "uncle") and grandma, no one else truly seen her as her. 

Dr he may have small glimpses in Youyang but that's it. 

Which was why she said she admires GTY for being able to live for himself...

That...is really sad...

Such intelligence. Such wisdom. Just locked away...

Thankfully GTY knew what was best for her better than ML herself.

Lets be thankful to GTY's scheming then. One schemer gets caught by another master schemer.:joy:

In the book, there's chapter from GTY's POV of how he found out about her real self.....in that he starts calling her little schemer, little fraud in his head after he sees her pretending to be afraid of bees.

Little ML actually was not afraid of bees....she was watching them with interest....but when the rest of the girls with her started screaming in fear....she started screaming too ....a beat later. So as to not appear different or strange. Thats the first time GTY noticed ML's pretense. After that he was always around in the crowd...keeping an eye on her....noticing things about her. 

7 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

Lin Yiniang actually died. She was sent to farm house in TV epi 33 and was mentioned she died in epi 34.

I hope that before Linniang dies, she gets news about Molan  that she is not living a respected noble wife like she imagined she would and she is treated like the way she treated ML's mom and dies knowing she made a wrong choice for her daughter, regretting that she did not choose the scholar Hong wanted Molan to marry.  

3 minutes ago, dito said:

Thankfully GTY knew what was best for her better than ML herself.

Lets be thankful to GTY's scheming then. One schemer gets caught by another master schemer.:joy:

In the book, there's chapter from GTY's POV of how he found out about her real self.....in that he starts calling her little schemer, little fraud after he sees her pretending to be afraid of bees.

Little ML actually was not afraid of bees....she was watching them with interest....but when the rest of the girls with her started screaming in fear....she started screaming too ....a beat later. So as to not appear different or strange. Thats the first time GTY noticed ML's pretense. After that he was always around in the crowd...keeping an eye on her....noticing things about her. 

Spoiler

He might be a master schemer, but he himself admitted to ML "I lost to you all my life". 

@cherubstomato @leeza77 @zenya22 @tomo74 @m0us3y

Thanks for pointing out actors get hated because of their great performances. I understand that. QH didn’t have any scene for 2 episodes at a time for at least 3 times already and I don’t expect much of his scenes in future 40 episodes. My grumpy rumbling post about ZYL was due to seeing the trailer that includes his meeting with ML after her marriage. I noticed and liked his acting in that drama Love three time though he was a bit cruel (not 100% bad but pretty flawed in becoming cruel to FL in attempting in keeping FL close to him and gaining her love even though he is a rich educated gentleman). I think I ended up finished watching that drama because of his acting though it was a war lord era genre (My favorite is palace drama) and he is not even good character. 

What QH told to ML which I posted above to me is very bad coming from QH even if he is so much in love with her. I was just pissed with the writers for QH character. I like all lead characters equally and I didn't even invest much interest in QH as much as Dr. He when I was listening to the book as his scenes were mostly in the beginning. If that scene happened, QH character became just delutional lunatic of a love fool like his character in Love Three Times with no respect to ML and his uncle and friend GTY. It is just so much de-growth for a gentleman who was able to make right decision during life adversity. I just never seen QH in the book or drama as inconsiderate but after this scene....

Li Yi Xiao (actress for MN) is definitely type-cast, it is really bad for her career improvement even if she is getting to star in drama for those roles now. Also, her acting for every Villian role she played is exactly the same even if character backgrounds are different. I have seen actors and actresses who are able to act villain roles differently.

Hi guys,

Would it be OK if I post some reviews about Qi Heng (ZYL's role in the story of Minglan )on this thread? Or should I go to the drama thread instead? I am little hesitated to post my reviews on the drama thread because I will be focusing on QH and I don’t want supporters of other roles /actors to be unhappy. 

4 minutes ago, yhl0802 said:
Hi guys,

Would it be OK if I post some reviews about Qi Heng (ZYL's role in the story of Minglan )on this thread? Or should I go to the drama thread instead? I am little hesitated to post my reviews on the drama thread because I will be focusing on QH and I don’t want supporters of other roles /actors to be unhappy. 

You should feel comfortable to express your views about the show. We don't all have to agree or hold the same views otherwise there wouldn't be any worthwhile discussion. :D

I like xiatao attitude. Very protective and compassionate towards ML. When ml cried on the ship, she accompanied ML and sang to her (bad voice.. Ha ha) and when she saw qh and his wife at the monastery, she tried to prevent ml from seeing them. 

7 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

Scene of minglan throw mud. so funny

Hide contents

Lol she got more dirt on her own clothes while she was holding that big pile then Molan's after she threw it.:joy:

18 minutes ago, lilkat75 said:

Did anyone find Sheng Hong's reaction hilarious in episode 32 when he caught Molan red-handed? :w00t: That scream lol :joy:

Lol yes....I also can't help cracking up whenever Da niang goes.....GUIREN.

3 hours ago, dito said:

In the book it happens after their kids are born....or atleast one of them is...not sure about the drama.

I remember GTY sleeping in his study for sometime after the fight. And at night, he'd carry his sleeping son to sleep with him in the study...coz he missed him.

They may change the sequence of the events in the drama as they did with ML telling him about her mother's death and her life in the house. This conversation happens after their big fight...when they make up.

Lol...yes she'll live the free life in ershu's house.... Sleep all she wants, eat all she wants without worrying about gaining weight.

Seems like they move stuff earlier. 

I just hope the fight doesn't last that long in the drama...:tears:

Cuz in the trailer, he actually went to look for another woman or something? Just to spite ML...

There's a scene that he was hugging a woman looking a lil drunk...?

I do wonder how they will make up tho...

Archived