[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

1 hour ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Everything you said would have made me hate the book if the book does nothing to make ML a interesting character or show off her smarts it would be incredibly boring but can you stop being pessimistic every time you post? 

Was this part really needed to be said by you again and again, show is a adaptation not a clone and the book is not based on history or real event's can you move on. 

So what you do every-time you post? you say we need to stop comparing when that is all you do, no-one else is bringing logic into this or trying to compare it to history apart from you. 

If you go back to around page 74-76 and read the posts. I’m not only one posting these concepts. I’m responding to @linhlinh111 regards to “Molan might not do to the point of sleeping with Liang son” and a few other posted agreeing some of ML abilities are a bit forced.

You can skip the posts you don’t wanna read and ignore the posts you do not agree. I do not respond to a lot of your posts disagreeing not only with me but with others or insult you even though you have called me ignorant. This is a free forum and you do not need to attack others because they have different point of view. I haven’t broken any rules or being rude to anyone.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Ml in the novel was a transmigrater. The mom was not her mom because original ML has already died. So, there is no desire for revenge. Beside ml character in the novel was a lazy person, just want to live well, eat well abd sleep. Love herself more than anyone else(grandma was an exception) until the confrontation with gty after marriage did she change her attitude towards love and trust. 

So she's just ignorant towards everything at the first half of the novel then? 

Lol. The eat well sleep well bit is being maintained in the show it seems. 

ML always struggles to wake up for classes, at first I thought it was just a front she puts up, but then she really didn't wanna wake up even at Youyang. The couz had to drag her out of bed! :lol:

And U can tell she loves her food. Lol. Suddenly she wasn't so sick anymore when dr.he brought her fav fish soup! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

14 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

@Golden Flower does that mean ML didn't actually revenge her mom in the novel? And pretty much waited for karma to do their job?

ML didn’t revenge. It was all Lin Yiniang and Molan doing. ML was a time-traveler and when she got into 5 yrs old ML’s body, Wei Shao Niang just died and the body of ML was sick from being sadness of her mother’s death. Since it wasn’t her mother, she didn’t do anything though she deduced that it might be Lin Yiniang’s doing. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, m0us3y said:

ML always struggles to wake up for classes, at first I thought it was just a front she puts up, but then she really didn't wanna wake up even at Youyang. The couz had to drag her out of bed! :lol:

And U can tell she loves her food. Lol. Suddenly she wasn't so sick anymore when dr.he brought her fav fish soup! 

Spoiler

Ha ha.. Can't wait the part where she was dreaming of eating elbow and end up biting her hubby elbow. The next day, the dear hubby bought elbow for her. :D

1 minute ago, hello210 said:

@leeza77 Which trailer is that? I missed it :lol:

Spoiler

Saw it on weibo.. I don't know how to post it on this forum. The part where gty walked with cb abd show cb a stack of deed. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

58 minutes ago, hello210 said:

@leeza77 Which trailer is that? I missed it :lol:

@hello210 @leeza77

Spoiler

Those envelopes were not deeds to the properties. He was bragging to CB about official families sending him marriage proposal letters. 

CB then said it is national mourning period (former emperor passed). GTY said these marriage seekers do not care about mourning time inviting him to dine with them, some are even saying their families had marriage agreement since he was a child and even showing affections towards his daughter Rong Jie Er. He was so afraid that he had to run away picking up RJE with excuse to go to toilet. Then, he asked CB jokingly (I’m pretty sure he was trying to test the water and probing him for info on ML) how come your Sheng family is not proposing marriage to me with the girls. CB then said you’re thinking so good of yourself, his mom is planning marriage for Rulan with his cousin (his maternal uncle’s son) and ML’s marriage depends on grandma’s decision and that grandma has been planning her marriage with younger son of He family from Bai Shi Tang (district part of city). That’s why I mentioned earlier that GTY got info on ML’s marriage from CB. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ha ha.. Can't wait the part where she was dreaming of eating elbow and end up biting her hubby elbow. The next day, the dear hubby bought elbow for her. :D

Reveal hidden contents

Saw it on weibo.. I don't know how to post it on this forum. The part where gty walked with cb abd show cb a stack of deed. 

Spoiler

Found it. The stepmom and family doing a 180 on their attitude now that GTY is back with honor SMH. And of course his talk with CB. That’s how he found out about ML &  Doc He right?

It also sounded like QH may want to try again?  

@Golden Flower @leeza77

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

Found it. The stepmom and family doing a 180 on their attitude now that GTY is back with honor SMH. And of course his talk with CB. That’s how he found out about ML &  Doc He right?

It also sounded like QH may want to try again?  

Spoiler

Yes, cb told gty something about Bai family youngest son. Is he a new suitor for ml?ML rejected dr he bcoz of the cousin. Qh went to the south.. For what? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Yes, cb told gty something about Bai family youngest son. Is he a new suitor for ml?ML rejected dr he bcoz of the cousin. Qh went to the south.. For what? 

Above, I already posted the translation of that conversation between GTY and CB. There is no Bai family. It is Bai Shi Tang (name of district which is part of capital Bian Jing). I didn’t see anything about QH in the trailer in YouTube.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I’m thinking it’s to get experiences and gain merits? And then try for ML again??  Cause there’s a couple of scenes where he’s got more backbone, more mature, there were soldiers or guards too. Also another scene where the person he was yelling at was turned around but it looked like GTY.  I know at one point in one of the trailers he tells GTY that GTY is not good enough for ML.

2 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

Above, I already posted the translation of that conversation between GTY and CB. There is no Bai family. It is Bai Shi Tang (name of district which is part of capital Bian Jing). I didn’t see anything about QH in the trailer in YouTube.

@Golden Flower the one on Weibo had QH talking to his parents at the end of the trailer.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, nichiwoohee said:

I cant believe we still havent got any lovey dovey scenes between the two leads yet :sweatingbullets: drama better repay us twice the romance after the wedding!

Yaaa... I dont understand why the producer and director are so stingy to show us the lovey dovey scenes.. Hahahahaha... It's 34 eps already and I hope we dont have to wait until ep 50 just to see more love between the lead.. They have lack of scripts together. So many side characters unnecessary scenes like Sheng Hong and Linniang lovey dovey scenes.. Makes me wanna puke..

4 hours ago, Maria Brimstone said:

I'm pretty sure she didn't die? I think she was just sent to a rural area to live. Stupid father couldn't even bear to have her beaten too much =.=

Yaa.. That stupid father.. He don't even get angry sincerely when he saw ML's injured face.. During the hitting scenes in front ancestors tablet, I feel like snatching the rod and continue hitting him instead.. LOL.. Sorry I sound crazy, but ML's father really pissed me off..

3 hours ago, Maria Brimstone said:

I think it seemed to emphasize that she had a headache or was super stressed out or something. Maybe the stone on it was for a cooling effect? I have no clue lol

ROTFLOL... This comment really made my day.. Maybe we should use one like that to cure our headache watching dramas.. LOL

3 hours ago, Jackie1048 said:

Based to the clips of spoilers, it seemed both Qi Heng's proud mother and Molan will have to beg Ming Lan in the later part for the safety of their family or themselves. Ming Lan answered Qi Heng's mother request but refused Molan as she got what she deserved.

With Gu Ting Ye's ranking with the new Emperor, Ming Lan becomed a 1st Grade Her Ladyship. This will bring the highest honour even to her own family.

Good, Im so glad ML refuse Molan.. Let her deal with her own karma.. Why bother helping someone sooo greedy like her..

54 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

That's why I dont want to compare the novel and drama... Let us see how the drama creates ML character.. So far, I like both variation.. It's just when they are too many canon fodder scripts and scenes, the drama felt a bit dragging.. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I’m thinking it’s to get experiences and gain merits? And then try for ML again??  Cause there’s a couple of scenes where he’s got more backbone, more mature, there were soldiers or guards too. Also another scene where the person he was yelling at was turned around but it looked like GTY.  I know at one point in one of the trailers he tells GTY that GTY is not good enough for ML.

@Golden Flower the one on Weibo had QH talking to his parents at the end of the trailer.

Spoiler
  • 0079Rco3gy1fz6hq5qxlrj30u00kuagk.jpg
I use translation for this frame abd it translated as the younger son of baishi tam's family.. Ha ha

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

13 minutes ago, lyaarisa said:

Yaaa... I dont understand why the producer and director are so stingy to show us the lovey dovey scenes.. Hahahahaha... It's 34 eps already and I hope we dont have to wait until ep 50 just to see more love between the lead.. They have lack of scripts together. So many side characters unnecessary scenes like Sheng Hong and Linniang lovey dovey scenes.. Makes me wanna puke..

Yaa.. That stupid father.. He don't even get angry sincerely when he saw ML's injured face.. During the hitting scenes in front ancestors tablet, I feel like snatching the rod and continue hitting him instead.. LOL.. Sorry I sound crazy, but ML's father really pissed me off..

ROTFLOL... This comment really made my day.. Maybe we should use one like that to cure our headache watching dramas.. LOL

Good, Im so glad ML refuse Molan.. Let her deal with her own karma.. Why bother helping someone sooo greedy like her..

That's why I dont want to compare the novel and drama... Let us see how the drama creates ML character.. So far, I like both variation.. It's just when they are too many canon fodder scripts and scenes, the drama felt a bit dragging.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

Coming from QH that is quite rich..

24 minutes ago, lyaarisa said:

The book had way less exciting scenes and way less scenes between ML and GTY , if the show was following the book it would be dragging. If anything they added more scenes to satisfy but not enough it seems xd, the scenes added were to make drama more interesting and exciting the book had less obviously. 

The show was draggy at the start but its been good the since like episode 20 for me at least. 

• Like 4

On 1/10/2019 at 10:00 AM, Golden Flower said:

Although I quoted one of the recent posts, I was not commenting solely on that post. There are many posts from a few days ago saying QH’s mom being cunning, manipulative and trying to shame the grandmom and I was trying to point out that it is not the case and the situation will not turn out really bad making grandmom angry if ML and her grandmom did not hear wrong information from QH in advance that his parents would propose ML’s hands. 

What I meant was the drama did not explain/portray well the societal/family norms of the time,

@Golden FlowerAlthough the drama is way beyond this episode, after a rewatch and seeing a broader view of the political landscape of that time, I agree that QH mom, Duchess Qi's intentions were to save her family and not harm the Shengs. This was not even about status bias anymore as that is minor compared to family survival. In earlier episodes the 3rd Sheng brother was heard mouthing off his support of Yong as the heir to the throne. His father Hong Sheng was punished by the emperor as an example to other families. I deduce that the emperor by his actions indicated then that he was not in favor of Yong or Yong's campaign to become the next emperor. In these latest episodes Duchess Qi is shown kneeling and beseeching the empress or emperor's consort? calling her "mother "to help her appeal to Consort Yong to allow her to see her husband Duke Qi who has been missing. Little did the young innocent lovebirds know that their playing together at the polo match might have ignited a simmering political contest into a political war. The Qi family derive their power from the duchess relationship with the emperor. The family of Princess Rong seems to have the same political view as the Duchess and supports the emperor's decision. We are not shown yet if the emperor has a candidate in mind to oppose Yong. So, the duchess wants to betroth the Yuan Ruo and make an alliance with a stronger family with the same political outlook. Prince Yong cuts off the connection and shoots 2 birds with one stone. He shames the Rong family with the daughter who committed suicide and forces Qi family to bethroth Yuan Ruo with their daughter when he abducted Duke Qi. The Qi family now draws the enmity of the Rongs and are now standing between a rock and a hard place. Now we know why the duchess is desperate. I also agree that Yuan Rou telling Ming Lan that his mother will visit to propose when his mother never promised him any such thing, created some friction between the 2 families. I always thought that Yuan Ruo was in his twenties as he was taking the imperial exam together with the older guys that he was just a bit younger but I am reading that he was 17 at this time in the drama. Now, I understand his impulsiveness. 

I am wondering, if the future episodes will show Yuan Rou and Ting Ye standing on the opposite sides of the political playing field or if Yuan Ruo will ditch his princess bride and join Ting Ye's side.  

Question: So, a shu daughter or a concubine not be allowed to manage the household according to the rules, but are they allowed to share in the inheritance just like the shu sons? Can the concubine be given land and property by the "husband" as Linniang told her Molan? 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

@Golden FlowerAI also agree that Yuan Rou telling Ming Lan that his mother will visit to propose when his mother never promised him any such thing, created some friction between the 2 families. I always thought that Yuan Ruo was in his twenties as he was taking the imperial exam together with the older guys that he was just a bit younger but I am reading that he was 17 at this time in the drama. Now, I understand his impulsiveness. 

Regarding this but his mum still knew what she was doing it simply wasn't QH mishearing of misunderstanding after she said they will visit the shengs. Its obvious she wanted him to think it was marriage when it was not and she killed Buwei this is why ill forever hate her but also pity the family's situation . 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I know Molan was a bish but i still would have thought ML would help her due to sister bonds but ofc she would help QH family thats just how she is. 

Knowing Molan’s nature, Minglan would be the last person on earth she would seek help. Most likely she asked the Sheng household for help but refused her. Since their family refused to help her. Minglan shouldn’t step forth to offer help making it look shameful their family didn’t help. 

Now now we are here for friendly debate. Haha but I agree with you that the drama would be boring if it followed the book 100%. It seems they may skip GTY first main wife hopefully and I’m glad because I feel that would be unnecessary scenes, since GTY has already been introduced from beginning there’s no need to drag out his misfortunes in love. LOL Also it would seem like everything Minglan got was all due to fate/because of people’s choices evebts leading to another. Without her doing anything. It’s good to see early on our heroine having achievements because unlike the book we don’t get a glimpse of her thought process. We need to see what makes her the heroine of the novel. What made her story more fascinating from the rest of the oppressed woman in that time. And why she is able to attain a happy marriage and life.

I believe that’s the beauty of watching a live action of a book because we get to see the interpretation of the directors POV. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

Knowing Molan’s nature, Minglan would be the last person on earth she would seek help. Most likely she asked the Sheng household for help but refused her. Since their family refused to help her. Minglan shouldn’t step forth to offer help making it look shameful their family didn’t help. 

Now now we are here for friendly debate. Haha but I agree with you that the drama would be boring if it followed the book 100%. It seems they may skip GTY first main wife hopefully and I’m glad because I feel that would be unnecessary scenes, since GTY has already been introduced from beginning there’s no need to drag out his misfortunes in love. LOL Also it would seem like everything Minglan got was all due to fate/because of people’s choices evebts leading to another. Without her doing anything. It’s good to see early on our heroine having achievements because unlike the book we don’t get a glimpse of her thought process. We need to see what makes her the heroine of the novel. What made her story more fascinating from the rest of the oppressed woman in that time. And why she is able to attain a happy marriage and life.

I believe that’s the beauty of watching a live action of a book because we get to see the interpretation of the directors POV. 

Yeah im glad the first wife of GTY was kept out as well the drama is flowing better and they introduced GTY way earlier and gave him more scene's which should make everyone happy. 

Even though some dislike some of the ML change's this drama reminds me of NIF which funny enough has some of the people who did that show doing ML. The story is just so real and human like without big crazy plot twists its just a good family drama showing the life's of good characters. 

I personally like slower plot's where you see the details and interesting talk's and a good build up story wise. 

Director Zhang Kaizhou who is known for his works in Love Me If You Dare and Battle of Changsha is such a amazing director and deserves praise. 

• Like 8