[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

Ruloan's beau was introduced in the series.Glad that they have kept this story arc.Will be interesting to see how GTY conspires to fix his marriage with ML while not give the Sheng family a way to wriggle out and placate grandma. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

Besides if Molan really pulled the pregnant con then I have to say she was really stupid. She could just use her looks and sweet talking to gain Liang's son attention, but she chose to be married off in such a shameful way. And actually if Liang family refused to take her (they had a valid reason not to) then she is doomed for sure.

In the drama, it looked like he was tired of her already. He was a playboy with a lot of experience.  It would have been hard to become his main wife withoit entrapment.  Marriages are arranged by the parents and Madam Liang definitely did not want her. 

1 hour ago, linhlinh111 said:
2 hours ago, leeza77 said:

I don't know but I have a feeling that the drama is buffing ML too much. From being in charge of the Sheng family (did not happen i the book and very unreasonable, ML was just a shu daughter) to proposing the divorce of her cousin (did not happen in the book and very unappropriate bc ML was not yet married and just a relative, Shulan grandma was the one who proposed that) and now helping the emperor? She did things that were very unfit to her position and it made everyone around her look useless, thus destroy the logic of the story. But I think maybe bc she is the main lead so the drama has to make things more about her somehow.

You can't compare the two. The written word relies on imagination. You can absorb characters and nuance at a leisurely pace.Cinematography is visual. You have to grasp the characters, story, background and absorb at a rapid pace.

The book tells us she was smart and ahead of her time and we must imagine using Minglan's POV.  The drama can't just tell us she was smart and ahead of her time, it must show us, using examples. 

17 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

So many spoilers..... while I'm still stuck at ep 28 :cry:..... so Molan got married as a legal wife to Liang's family? she gets what she wants then.

@tomo74 Just remember that not everything is what appears on the surface even though she gets the marriage. 

Spoiler

Liang son is a playboy and already favors a concubine. And it’s better than Liang mama getting what she wants which is ML.

23 minutes ago, hello210 said:

@tomo74 Just remember that not everything is what appears on the surface even though she gets the marriage. 

Hide contents

Liang son is a playboy and already favors a concubine. And it’s better than Liang mama getting what she wants which is ML.

She was mean and hateful but she was not evil (her mother was) so that was enough of a punishment. The wedding was just the start. She was married off in a shameful way so her marriage wouldn't be peaceful.

Spoiler

Her husband was a playboy. She spent most of her time fighting with concubines, had a few miscarriages and gave birth to all daughters, later the Sheng family was distant and didn't help her at all with her troubles, her mother could never return to the main house. But she got the status she wanted, although that was not exactly the life she was expecting. In the end she was the most pitiful of the 4 daughters, even got jealous with Rulan (Rulan married the man that was supposed to be betrothed to her but she detested him cuz he was just a poor student)

50 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

So many spoilers..... while I'm still stuck at ep 28 :cry:..... so Molan got married as a legal wife to Liang's family? she gets what she wants then.

Me too!!! Only up to 28 since thats subbed. And everyone here is talking about 33-34 already! 

But it does look like exciting times ahead! 

Personally I don't mind too much about the deviation from the novel, cuz I've never read it. 

And also as a few chingus already mentioned, the novel is based in transmigration, so it started off a lil different to begin with..

And the fact that books are descriptive, which leaves a lot of room for imagination, and its hard to fit that into a show with limited episodes. I reckon that's why most people always comment that the show leaves things out, and the novel's always better. 

7 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

I was laughing thinking the same. He seemed to hint that he wants her to wait for him and don’t get married. He will be the one to protect her. 

Too crazy to think about it.. that’s why ML probably didnt suspect anything lol

I think ML’s part is still acceptable, you guys.. at least she’s not magically a martial art expert:bawling:

Spoiler

With how sucks her arrow aiming have become

Spoiler

Granma is like a dragon, she was so pissed when Da Niang told her what Madam Liang had suggested that ML marries her 6th son as the main wife while Molan as the concubine, she is basically 'shouting' that she was the one who raised ML and nobody in hell is going to marry her  ML off but she!! You gotta love  granma !

21 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Too crazy to think about it.. that’s why ML probably didnt suspect anything lol

I think ML’s part is still acceptable, you guys.. at least she’s not magically a martial art expert:bawling:

Reveal hidden contents

With how sucks her arrow aiming have become

Haha :lol: that reminds me of GTY talking smack when they were secretly following behind her shooting sleeve arrows “that little brat...She really thinks she’s some devine archer.”  I would expect tomboy Pinglan to start fighting before ML.

3 hours ago, minglan1 said:

Ruloan's beau was introduced in the series.Glad that they have kept this story arc.Will be interesting to see how GTY conspires to fix his marriage with ML while not give the Sheng family a way to wriggle out and placate grandma. 

They should at least cast a better and younger looking guy for Rulan :D(i like her this Rulan eventho in the novel she didn't seem all that nice)

3 hours ago, xxLynnxx said:

I'm a lurker (because my English sucks), but I really fell in love with this drama. I'm obsessed with it. <3

I just saw that old trailer and now I'm wondering if someone understands what ML & GTY are fighting about. 

From the trailer it seem like GTY was jealous after seeing QH and ML together, alone. 

In the novel (as mentioned by another chingu), it was written as GTY was jealous because ML showed the true side of her, as ML was angry with QH and showed it. As his wife, ML was always the perfect wife that never raises her voice, never angry. But GTY wanted to see the true side of her which has all emotions. 

However in the drama, I'm not sure they are keeping that as we can see that ML loses her cool with him more than she ever did with QH. And I think GTY is happy because he gets to see the real her. So I'm suspecting he really is jealous. In the trailer, towards the end, he asked her "if you get to choose again, would you still have married me??" 

2 hours ago, mooose said:

You can't compare the two. The written word relies on imagination. You can absorb characters and nuance at a leisurely pace.Cinematography is visual. You have to grasp the characters, story, background and absorb at a rapid pace.

The book tells us she was smart and ahead of her time and we must imagine using Minglan's POV.  The drama can't just tell us she was smart and ahead of her time, it must show us, using examples. 

Thank you. Well said!! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Lunkera said:

@tomo74 Most of the spoilers are from the novel. Yes and no to your question. He has alot of concubine i think and she isn't really favored so she won't have a good life.

If she isn't favored from her husband, she wasted her mother's secret tricks lol, guess crying and sweet talk only works for a decent stupid man not a playboy :joy: sorry for being so sarcastic, this is the chance for me to slap slap her and her parent since they annoyed me for along time, I can't wait to watch that episode and I'll scream "eat that s***", once again sorry for my rudeness :lol:

6 minutes ago, jewelsc said:

They should at least cast a better and younger looking guy for Rulan :D(i like her this Rulan eventho in the novel she didn't seem all that nice)

Yeah they should have got a younger and better looking guy for her.Maybe he doesn't have much screen time so they didn't invest a lot for this character.

Spoiler
10 hours ago, zenya22 said:

No, not really, she did not advise him to ditch the general. This is one of the conversations where they spoke in codes like you said, when she did not actually advise him on how to advance his career but he let her guess what he was up to. She asked why he was still a foot soldier and was it because he was arrogant and acted pompously and was punished. TY did not answer just raised his eyebrows and she said ahhhh that was not it, you did something valorous to save the day and let the general take the credit and (indebted to you) and mentioned one of the strategies in Strategems of War, don't remember exactly what she said the strategy was, then praised his ingenuity. This is also when he told her that he did not enlist in his father's army because he wanted to advance through his own efforts as that was the honorable thing to do. But this conversation shows how in touch they are with each other. All he has to do is raise his eyebrows and boom.... she knows. TGY: I better be honest with her, she has ESP. she reads me . :lol:

Anyhow, since GTY is going to the frontlines, do we see him in action in the frontlines? How he gets his stars and stripes and become general? 

Hmmmm...

Am I watching some cut version or something? 

(Watched it on Viki) 

The version I saw never talked about the strategem of war?? 

I went back to watch the part again and It basically went 

ML: Er ship, why are you still a foot soldier?

GTY:  Yo, are u saying my position is too low?

ML: no way, I just feel that if you want to be promoted, you came to the wrong place. 

GTY: Why do U say that? 

ML: Although Youyang has disturbances, it's temporary and there's no military battles. You come here you can't really achieve military merit. If U go to the front line would u not get promoted faster?

GTY: do U know why I'm not at the front line?

ML : has to be U are too proud and offended ur superior. 

GTY: I did offend my superior but not because of my behaviour. 

ML: then it's because you achieved victory too quickly and blocked someone's path. Am I right? I thought I'd go back to capital and go under Gu army

And then GTY mentioned about wanting to gain merit and honours by himself for himself. 

And ML said she admires him?? 

Archived