[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I think that might be possible 

Hide contents

In a trailer i see ML hitting the bell outside of Palace i think maybe that is to save GTY whose locked up or something.

Can i just say how glad i am they cut this crap out . 

Hide contents

You say that but doesnt Molan marry out with the help of her mum? sure its miserable but still. 

Spoiler

Molan caught red handed in a promiscuous situation with the 6th son of liang family. PREGNANT and married of to him. She shamed the family and lin niang got punished. Fell out of favor from shen hong

2 hours ago, dito said:

I don't think so. Don't remember anything like that happening. He had a very good relationship with the new emperor. Emperor kept lavishing gifts on him for one reason or the other. Even his nasty relatives couldn't do much against him. GTY played very smart when he came back. Wasn't openly hostile to his nasty relations. So they targeted ML in GTY's absence. Nothing big at first...pesky concubines and maids causing trouble. Big stuff like threat to ML's life happen after ML gets pregnant.

I remember only one incident happening in the book that I think the drama writers may change it to give us more drama after their wedded bliss. GTY's family was about to be accused of being traitors. Maybe the writers change it to GTY being accused of being a traitor due to his family's scheming....or maybe they accuse him of killing his father or something.

ML beating the drum... I would prefer it if it was granny's poisoning. But even in the book everything was done to keep it quite coz it would be very bad for Sheng family if it became known that daughter in law tried to poison the mother in law. Sheng Hong's and Chang Bai's careers will be destroyed.

@m0us3y @dito @ForgottenSoulx Thanks. I was trying to figure that out because it wasn’t in the novel spoilers that GTY was imprisoned but we know they’ve added little things here and there for more dramatic stuff.  And below is what I was talking about with grandma situation. It was the one time ML was not letting things go. Maybe they’ll do it differently.

credit: pasted from Adnana in Novel Spoilers site

Spoiler

Kang yima didn't actually get to really blackmail anyone like she had intended. Sure, her long-term plan was to trick her sister into poisoning and killing her mother-in-law, and afterward, Wang shi would have been completely at her mercy. Anything Kang yima asked, she would have had to do under threat of having her incredibly atrocious misdeed revealed.
Yet it didn't get to that point because Minglan was notified that Grandma was sick on that very night, she quickly brought a doctor who diagnosed poisoning, so she took care of Grandma and at the same time laid the trap to reveal the mastermind. Then it was a question of forcing her father to do the right thing, that is not to cover up the ugly incident (like he wanted, so as not to sully the family's precious honor) but to punish the ones responsible and thus get justice for Grandma. Wang shi they could punish more lightly (she didn't actually want to kill Grandma) and it could be resolved inside the family, but Kang yima was an outsider and to give her appropriate punishment in the court of justice, her family (maternal, and married into) had to give their consent. So that what all the arguing and blame shifting was about, mainly between Sheng Family (Minglan and Shen Hong after being "persuaded"/forced by Minglan; later, the super awesome Changbai enters the stage) trying to ensure that Kang yima is punished harshly, and her maternal family (mainly, her mother) trying to protect her and get her off with basically a slap on the wrist, and threatening the Sheng Family because they would be affected too by having such dirty laundry aired in public (i.e. what Wang shi did).
Thus, to ensure their own moral high ground, Sheng Family had to first give Wang shi a harsh punishment--Changbai decides that she spend 10 years in an isolated place praying for Grandma and reflecting. In order for her to agree, he threatens with resigning from his post (upon which the Sheng Family's future advancement hinged), so Wang shi relented. Changbai didn't resign anymore, and ended up having a very successful career. Kang yima's maternal family ultimately relented as well, then her husband also agreed, so Kang yima was prosecuted and was given a lifetime sentence in prison.

13 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yanran's father and stepmother agreed to marry off yanran's half sister if gty's father and stepmother agreed to get rid of the children and MN

Please see that I was talking about the book. 

@linhlinh111 @leeza77 In my previous post, I was agreeing to linhlinh111 discussion of “di son from noble Marquess family without any merit will have a hard time to marry daughter of aristocratic scholar official family if he already has illegitimate son and he will have to marry someone with a lot lower status than him”. I was just adding if GTY is not ambitious, he could marry Shu daughter (like in the case of Liang Mama choosing Shu born ML) and even a di daughter from lower rank official family like the book portrayed (Yanran’s father official rank is not high though grandfather used to be tai shi). I just think the drama writer did not let him marry to Yu Yan Hong because they think that viewers might not be able to accept him if he is also a widower. My point was GTY was having a hard time because he was being ambitious, arrogant and wanting all the best possible, oldest and daughter of first wife (Faqi 发妻), the pearl in the palms of her grandfather tai shi, with pleasant temperament who is considered better choice than her younger sister. 

@linhlinh111 I agreed with everything you said but clarifying that Shu born son do not have right to inherit the title but they do threaten the main wife (whether or not the husband holds any noble title) since they can divide the assests equally with di sons in Song Dynasty. I do not think you’re saying GTR was a bad person for having son and I don’t think he is either. However, He is flawed (selfish) for wanting the best for himself without considering the girl and her family side. He did not tell the girl family that he has illegitimate children. He would have been able to marry Yanran if MN did not make known of her and her children presence.

23 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

@minoku2209

Hide contents

what is happening to Molan and her mother in 32? seems scenes have karma catching up to them? 

I wonder if ML has a hand in orchestrating the whole thing though....gut feeling tells me she has a hand in this..

On a totally random note, I've just noticed that the painting at the background during the end credit seems to actually be the story of Ming lan. From when she lost her mom and took the boat to BianJing to his happily ever after (I hope) with GTY. Am I just being really slow to take note?:sweatingbullets:

47 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Molan caught red handed in a promiscuous situation with the 6th son of liang family. PREGNANT and married of to him. She shamed the family and lin niang got punished. Fell out of favor from shen hong

Spoiler

Woah...I knew Molan was going to get herself caught with Liang 6th son but thought maybe like hugging. Didn’t think they were going to actually have it where they were going all the way :o and to be caught red handed by her father...:blink:

And daddy dearest is finally not going to let things go lightly for mother/daughter duo since it’s a huge black spot on the family honor.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:47 AM, m0us3y said:

Do correct me if I've misunderstood,...did u mean QH should die honorably just because he couldn't get ML?:huh:

If that's not what you meant, my apologies in advance for misunderstanding. 

If that's what you meant...

Then I think ML should have died first - born into unloved lowly concubine, mother and brother murdered, and she has to continue to live with the murderers!

And GTY should die following - mom died from heartbreak, misunderstood by the world to cause the dad's death, the one he loved (MN) deceived him all these while, the stepmom he trusted turned out to be a demon. 

I'm not sure losing his first love (and servant) is much harder. 

So he doesn't get his first love. Forced to give it up and marry another. 

Life lesson 101: you don't get everything you want in life. I like how @hello210 puts it, it's opportunity, and choices. And if I may add, trade offs. You make a choice, you get something, you lose something else. Almost the law of equilibrium. 

He made a choice, (yes, under threat), to save the dad and potentially Sheng Family and ML to marry the princess, he loses ML. It may not seem like much of a choice, but it is. And he made it.

GTY offered the other choice: Maybe stupid, probably very risky, definitely daring. The stakes are high, and if he loses, he could lose a lot! But fact is, he didn't choose the risky route (if he did, he would probably be the male lead).

The choice he made is probably consistent with the character of QH, if I may add. 

If he made that choice, live with the consequences! 

He has his moral code, and that's partially to do with the fact that he had the luxury to have that. 

It's tumultuous times, and it's a dog eat dog world out there. His ideals would be crushed sooner or later. That world he lives in was a bubble the parents created for him. It's bound to burst. 

When things go south, he should learn to fight. 

Learn the way of life, it doesn't mean he has to manipulate everyone, but it does mean he's at least able to protect himself. 

Everyone is fighting hard to survive, and thrive. ML and GTY had always been on battlefields, fighting for themselves. 

About time for QH to do the same too. 

Death, after just losing your right to be with your loved one? That's just cowardice. 

Yes I said he better off dying than living at the end only to suffer. Let me explain my side. From what others said, they say that in the end he live a bachelor life after two unsuccessful marriage. That is why for me it is way better for him to at least be known as that guy who help the ML or the world than that passionate guy who can't move on.  See, you you either die a Hero or live long enough to see yourself called a Villain. XD 

At least in the end, the ML and the Male Lead had a happy ending from their despair beginning. But what about QH?  I beg to differ and say that he also fight hard. He may not chose the riskist route but he still fought. Yes now he will live the consequence and that's why for me it is way better to die than experiencing such thing. It may be a coward route but it is the route we can at least say he will die in peace. 

Just because others is suffering way more doesn't mean he isn't. At least ML and GTY had someone to lean on during their darkest time, but what about him? 

(This next paragraph is not specifically for you) 

Also stop saying this character is written well and that. Every character is written well. Just that the drama might have screw some a bit. 

15 minutes ago, hello210 said:

@m0us3y @dito @ForgottenSoulx Thanks. I was trying to figure that out because it wasn’t in the novel spoilers that GTY was imprisoned but we know they’ve added little things here and there for more dramatic stuff.  And below is what I was talking about with grandma situation. It was the one time ML was not letting things go. Maybe they’ll do it differently.

credit: pasted from Adnana Novel Spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Kang yima didn't actually get to really blackmail anyone like she had intended. Sure, her long-term plan was to trick her sister into poisoning and killing her mother-in-law, and afterward, Wang shi would have been completely at her mercy. Anything Kang yima asked, she would have had to do under threat of having her incredibly atrocious misdeed revealed.
Yet it didn't get to that point because Minglan was notified that Grandma was sick on that very night, she quickly brought a doctor who diagnosed poisoning, so she took care of Grandma and at the same time laid the trap to reveal the mastermind. Then it was a question of forcing her father to do the right thing, that is not to cover up the ugly incident (like he wanted, so as not to sully the family's precious honor) but to punish the ones responsible and thus get justice for Grandma. Wang shi they could punish more lightly (she didn't actually want to kill Grandma) and it could be resolved inside the family, but Kang yima was an outsider and to give her appropriate punishment in the court of justice, her family (maternal, and married into) had to give their consent. So that what all the arguing and blame shifting was about, mainly between Sheng Family (Minglan and Shen Hong after being "persuaded"/forced by Minglan; later, the super awesome Changbai enters the stage) trying to ensure that Kang yima is punished harshly, and her maternal family (mainly, her mother) trying to protect her and get her off with basically a slap on the wrist, and threatening the Sheng Family because they would be affected too by having such dirty laundry aired in public (i.e. what Wang shi did).
Thus, to ensure their own moral high ground, Sheng Family had to first give Wang shi a harsh punishment--Changbai decides that she spend 10 years in an isolated place praying for Grandma and reflecting. In order for her to agree, he threatens with resigning from his post (upon which the Sheng Family's future advancement hinged), so Wang shi relented. Changbai didn't resign anymore, and ended up having a very successful career. Kang yima's maternal family ultimately relented as well, then her husband also agreed, so Kang yima was prosecuted and was given a lifetime sentence in prison.

Spoiler

I think the grandma poisoning scene will be included too. In the same trailer, ML was talking to her dad, and her dad said that in reality, she never changed. She's been like that all the while, and another scene showing ML demanding that she wants justice, no matter what. 

That hairstyle is after she got married, and it seems like she got her revenge on Lin Concubine soon, which would mean before her marriage. 

So I'm only deducing that the confrontation with her dad after the marriage would be due to the poisoning case?

4 minutes ago, thatpers0n said:

Yes I said he better off dying than living at the end only to suffer. Let me explain my side. From what others said, they say that in the end he live a bachelor life after two unsuccessful marriage. That is why for me it is way better for him to at least be known as that guy who help the ML or the world than that passionate guy who can't move on.  See, you you either die a Hero or live long enough to see yourself called a Villain. XD 

At least in the end, the ML and the Male Lead had a happy ending from their despair beginning. But what about QH?  I beg to differ and say that he also fight hard. He may not chose the riskist route but he still fought. Yes now he will live the consequence and that's why for me it is way better to die than experiencing such thing. It may be a coward route but it is the route we can at least say he will die in peace. 

Just because others is suffering way more doesn't mean he isn't. At least ML and GTY had someone to lean on during their darkest time, but what about him? 

Also stop saying this character is written well and that. Every character is written well. Just that the drama might have screw some a bit. 

I have no doubt that QH is a pitiful character. 

And to a lot of extent, he could no longer control his own marriage since everyone he cares about were under threat. 

So he made a choice (arguably under the no other viable choice circumstances) to marry the princess and give up ML. 

Since everything has set in stone, and he can no longer turn back time, shouldnt he learn how to let go? 

Let himself go, and let ML go. 

If it has already turned out this way, why not learn and try to live well with what you have?

So he couldn't love the princess he was forced pretty much with a knife at his throat to marry. I can't argue against that. 

He could always find someone else and take a concubine? Learn to love someone else. 

Then perhaps, he wouldn't live such a lonely life...

6 hours ago, zenya22 said:

@Golden FlowerThank you for the information. So, I have a question about the Gu house. There are 3 sons and all of them from main wives if I remember right. The oldest son is from the first wife who is from a noble family, is born a di,  and when she died Marquess Gu married Ting Ye's mother who is a merchant's daughter nevertheless the general was forced to make her the main wife by the contract he made with her father, so is GTY a di too? Then the marquess remarried the wicked stepmother who also had a son who is also a di? So according to the rules who among the 3 di sons can be made the heir? Here, GTY is made heir but he is not the oldest son and mother is a merchant's daughter. 

All three of them are di son and they all are elegible to inherit the title. However, the oldest son will inherit as the norm at that time place importance on respecting and giving priority to oldest over merit of younger. His oldest brother currently is Marquess though drama hasn’t shown addressing him like that yet. The reason GTR is able to inherit the title later is because his brother died without any son and he gained merit. If his brother has a son, he won’t be able to inherit unless he somehow makes a case to emperor to name him as Marquess for his merit and his nephew being a child.

Spoiler

In the book, his stepmom asked his oldest brother to adopt the oldest son of third brother (her biological son) so that her grandson can inherit the Marquess title. That’s why GTR decided not to help the family when they came under emperor’s wrath for involving in rebellion by somehow helping 4th prince). He was going to let the Marquess house and title perish if title will go to his nephew from 3rd brother. However, his oldest brother decided not to adopt and requested him to help the family in lieu of inheriting the title and his mother’s dowry that they hid from him. Not sure how drama will play as I’m not sure the family still has part of GTY’s mother dowry or not. 

It was mentioned during inheritance debate in the class and GTY’s opinion of giving the title to di son with most merit instead of seniority was already made known (He said that his youngest brother should inherit if he is best among three brothers). 

58 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

It's not that serious. Linniang found out where the Liang's son was going so she helped Molan out. Molan pretended to fall into the water and Liang's son saved her. Back then when a girl was hugged by a man (and her clothes was wet and see-through), her virtue was considered lost to him. So she had to be married off to his family or become a nun. Liang family refused to take Molan bc Mama Liang was aiming for ML and she didn't like Molan's personality, but Sheng family couldn't accept that bc if Molan's name was ruined then it would affect the marriage of the other 2 daughters, so Grandma literary blackmailed Liang family to take her. Linniang was cast out by Sheng Hong bc she risked sabotaging the whole family's reputation so that Molan could marry to a noble. She was taken far away to a family cottage in the suburb and never returned.

Episodes 28. Does anyone else find GTY getting very protective of ML? 

Even when he offered to kidnap the princess for QH, I felt he was considering more about ML than he is of QH - That her whole life is dependent on QH's one decision, and the Sheng daughter doesn't deserve to suffer this way (the embarassment, the potential hardship in her marriage after what happened at the polo match an whole capital knows about QH/ML).

Then again when ML got him to return the clay dolls, he was actually hilarious when he said he'll beat up those who spew nonsense and ruin her marriage prospect when he gets back from the battle. 

I also felt that they have the ability to lift each other up when they are down. 

7 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

It's not that serious. Linniang found out where the Liang's son was going so she helped Molan out. Molan pretended to fall into the water and Liang's son saved her. Back then when a girl was hugged by a man (and her clothes was wet and see-through), her virtue was considered lost to him. So she had to be married off to his family or become a nun. Liang family refused to take Molan bc Mama Liang was aiming for ML and she didn't like Molan's personality, but Sheng family couldn't accept that bc if Molan's name was ruined then it would affect the marriage of the other 2 daughters, so Grandma literary blackmailed Liang family to take her. Linniang was cast out by Sheng Hong bc she risked sabotaging the whole family's reputation so that Molan could marry to a noble. She was taken far away to a family cottage in the suburb and never returned.

Spoiler

But the trailer that @minoku2209 shared seems to show the dad caught Molan in pretty compromising place...and clothing?

1 hour ago, minoku2209 said:

Trailer 31-32

Reveal hidden contents

5 hours ago, dito said:

GTY splurged a lot of money.....and I think some big political and military figures were in attendance ...so yeah it was big affair.

All I remember is that his bride price was huge. Tons of expensive fabrics, jewelry, accessories, etc

edit.....I went and checked...heres the list...Apparently GTY filled their whole yard with his gifts.

100... Horses, Pigs( it says Minglan pigs...I don't know if there really is a pig named like that),

abalone, clams, oysters, mushrooms, shrimp, squid, sea cucumber, shark's fin..... etc

1200 feet of fabric..which includes....80 feet of crepe, 88 feet of camlet, 180 feet of various colors of Shu embroidered brocade, etc

34 gold dragon phoenix bracelets....another 18 pieces of some dragon phoenix jewelry I can't make out.

Then there were different kinds of fish, wine, tea and candy for all 4 seasons. 

GTY didn't know instead of making people happy his gifts made some people unhappy. Da niang and Rulan to be exact. Both had no objections to GTY marrying ML before but when they saw the bride price both start to regret letting GTY go from their hands. And GTY was so petty sending the bride price for ML on day Rulan's lite-bride price came.

Omg ! Lol ... thank you for this ! 

How did Molan react to this splendid affair ?.. coz she’s the one I really can’t stand ... lol 

22 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

Spoiler

I think they might have changed that scenario a bit. In another ep31 trailer, Molan was dressed as a maid and purposely went to where 6th Liang was going, she pretended to fall on the ground or something and he helped her up, then hugged her while they were outside and it faded to a dripping water over leaves scene...then that trailer minoku2209 posted showed then in a room messing around with him in underclothes :blink:

5 minutes ago, daebak42 said:

Omg ! Lol ... thank you for this ! 

How did Molan react to this splendid affair ?.. coz she’s the one I really can’t stand ... lol 

Lol :lol:

Isn't Molan too busy fighting with the MIL AND the husband's concubine by then? :D

Just done watching ep 28 with sub.

Its a cruel imperial world. OMG I cant imagine that Consort princess so evil threatening QH's to marry her daughter, if he dont then she will kill & destroy his parents & minglan too. Poor QH, he has no choice given lol.

Look karma starts to appear for the downfaĺl of this present king.

I'm looking fwd to next epi to night, more interesting things coming up.

1 hour ago, zenya22 said:

@minoku2209

Hide contents

what is happening to Molan and her mother in 32? seems scenes have karma catching up to them? 

Yeah, i think it must be karma on them, i guess the result of their evil hearts, they reap what they sow.

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

I mean that is still not enough at all , Molan got what she wanted. 

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

I wonder if ML has a hand in orchestrating the whole thing though....gut feeling tells me she has a hand in this..

On a totally random note, I've just noticed that the painting at the background during the end credit seems to actually be the story of Ming lan. From when she lost her mom and took the boat to BianJing to his happily ever after (I hope) with GTY. Am I just being really slow to take note?:sweatingbullets:

Apparently its ML and her mums plan at least it was in the book.

1 hour ago, thatpers0n said:

Totally agree about QH having no-one to lean on compare to ML and GTY he really has no ally or no help or support in that family its quite sad.

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:
  Hide contents

I think the grandma poisoning scene will be included too. In the same trailer, ML was talking to her dad, and her dad said that in reality, she never changed. She's been like that all the while, and another scene showing ML demanding that she wants justice, no matter what. 

That hairstyle is after she got married, and it seems like she got her revenge on Lin Concubine soon, which would mean before her marriage. 

So I'm only deducing that the confrontation with her dad after the marriage would be due to the poisoning case?

I cant wait for fierce and demanding ML to come.

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

I have no doubt that QH is a pitiful character. 

And to a lot of extent, he could no longer control his own marriage since everyone he cares about were under threat. 

So he made a choice (arguably under the no other viable choice circumstances) to marry the princess and give up ML. 

Since everything has set in stone, and he can no longer turn back time, shouldnt he learn how to let go? 

Let himself go, and let ML go. 

If it has already turned out this way, why not learn and try to live well with what you have?

So he couldn't love the princess he was forced pretty much with a knife at his throat to marry. I can't argue against that. 

He could always find someone else and take a concubine? Learn to love someone else. 

Then perhaps, he wouldn't live such a lonely life...

Its easy to say just let go but in reality its not that easy first love is always with you and always painful and he has let go in recent episodes i thought does not mean he has to be happy and move on. 

58 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

Unless ML caused all this when i dont consider this good revenge for what they did to ML's mother.

Archived