[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

46 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

Thanks for taking time explaining. I just want to clarify that there are three types of sons main wife born di, concubine born shu and illegitimate sons who were born of outside women and did not get recorded in family ancestry book. Shu sons are considered legitimate. In Song Dynasty, shu son, however, has right to equally divide family assests with di sons though they do not have right to inherit the nobility title (ref: Concubines in Song China, women and the family in history of China). The illegitimate sons will not have right to any family assests and their names won't be registered into ancestry book.  

The main wife and parents have to approve the concubine to be married into the family. The outside women are those with very low status like prostitutes and entertainers from brothels (even if they do not sell their bodies) that main wife and parents do not agree to welcome her into the family. I think a guy can have concubines in addition to tong-fan maids before marrying legal wife. In the case of GTY’s family, their standard is high as they won’t accept MN because she is singer even though she is not from brothel. 

In GTY’s case, he is having issue to find a wife because he only wants to marry di daughter. He already said that it would be easy for him to marry ML who is a shu born when they were fighting in desert shop. Although it did not happen in drama, he was able to marry Yu Yan Hong, di daughter and younger half-sister of Yanran  in the book even though Yanran parents know that he has two kids with outside women. Unlike in drama, MN took both kids with her when she went to Yu house. He could not marry Yanran only because she was raised by her grandparents and they want her to have peaceful marriage life and they thought that he having two kids with a woman like MN will be miserable life for Yanran who is too soft. I do not remember what happened to accepting MN as concubine after he got married to YH. I think at that point he already found out MN’s nature and decided not to bring her in. He had to scheme to marry ML is because of her grandmom not because of SH and WS. SH and WS already agreed Rulan di daughter to marry him after he became general. 

Reveal hidden contents

In the book, Liang Liu's concubine, shu sister of the wife of one of his shu older brother, was already pregnant and that was one of the reasons Liang Mama was fine with her son marrying ML and another reason is she thinks that ML is prettier and have ability to manage scheming concubine of her son. 

Spoiler

Yanran's father and stepmother agreed to marry off yanran's half sister if gty's father and stepmother agreed to get rid of the children and MN

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Im at the point where im starting to dislike QH.. i feel so bad for him but like i want ML and GTY romance to begin already i hate that everytime it goes to QH its something depressing. 

Agree, ep 27 really was the turning point for me. It’s fine that QH insisted on marrying ML, it’s young love. It’s fine he cant really defy his parents, those was an ingrained filial piety. But when your most close and trusted aid was getting beat to death, all you can do is plead your mother.. well.. that for me is weakness. I cant help to think GTY would have turned the house upside down if something similar was to happen to shitou. I know it’s apple and orange, QH is not the martial expert rogue.. but it was really disappointing, so yeah I want a strong male lead to protect our female lead.

and I cant believe it.. I actually pitied QH’s mom.. yes arrogant and cut throat, with a weak son and an even weaker husband, she needs to be a lioness to save her House

I LOL’d everytime shitou tried to call GTY’s bs. He is one stop away to ask “you actually like sixth little miss, arent you second young master?”

I think it’s possible. In 10/11 episodes they could get to the wedding. They might cut or focus less on sides storylines.

it would also split the show in a  balanced way.

it’s true, shitou is the first shipper of gty and ml

2 hours ago, Lunkera said:

@leeza77 Will that be possible though?. GTY still need to rise in position and aid in the ascension of the new emperor. Seems kinda too short of a timeframe unless it will start in the next 2 episodes. I think the week after is more plausible, althought it might happen at the end of next week.

2 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Just read on weibo.. Dunno w

Read on weibo.. Dunno whether it's true or not. They said on thursday next week. So, around 9 episodes more. I think it's plausible.. 

1 hour ago, fra8 said:

I think it’s possible. In 10/11 episodes they could get to the wedding. They might cut or focus less on sides storylines.

it would also split the show in a  balanced way.

it’s true, shitou is the first shipper of gty and ml

If they delay the first rebellion till after GTY and ML are married, then it might be possible. The thing is, even if they skip some events or change the sequence in which the events happened, they will still need to show the first rebellion coz thats how GTY earned his position as a general.

Then the other 3 main important events that happened before GTY's proposal, almost engagement with He Hongwen and his cousin coming to ruin everything, Rulan falling for the poor scholar and Molan getting married to Liang Liu.

If they completely skip the HHW cousin thing or the engagement with HHW never happens and If Molan getting married is in next 2-3 epis then its quite possible that GTY and ML marriage happens by the next weekend. It will take at least that many episodes to cover different story tracks happening right now. Not to forget ML is also investigating her mothers death.

Maybe we'll have a time jump.

6 minutes ago, minoku2209 said:

At 1st top left & right pic, I cant remember when did minglan hurt her face?

Is this not a spoiler for upcoming episode?

Spoiler

If so, probably the fight with molan, because madame liang gave minglan something *cant remember*

5 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Is this not a spoiler for upcoming episode?

Hide contents

If so, probably the fight with molan, because madame liang gave minglan something *cant remember*

Spoiler

Yes, the fight with molan. Tonight episode. Minglan planned everything until the fight with molan as a part of her revenge for the death of her mother. 

10 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Yes, the fight with molan. Tonight episode. Minglan planned everything until the fight with molan as a part of her revenge for the death of her mother. 

Spoiler

She planned the fight too?? :astonished:

I like smart and cunning female lead LOL

56 minutes ago, dito said:

If they delay the first rebellion till after GTY and ML are married, then it might be possible. The thing is, even if they skip some events or change the sequence in which the events happened, they will still need to show the first rebellion coz thats how GTY earned his position as a general.

Then the other 3 main important events that happened before GTY's proposal, almost engagement with He Hongwen and his cousin coming to ruin everything, Rulan falling for the poor scholar and Molan getting married to Liang Liu.

If they completely skip the HHW cousin thing or the engagement with HHW never happens and If Molan getting married is in next 2-3 epis then its quite possible that GTY and ML marriage happens by the next weekend. It will take at least that many episodes to cover different story tracks happening right now. Not to forget ML is also investigating her mothers death.

Maybe we'll have a time jump.

Another option is not showing the first rebellion but just learning about it or not showing rulan falling for the scholar but just discovering this with gty’s plan. I would avoid the cousin sl.

GTY has separated from the main family at the moment, he doesn't have alot of status right now. He has children and he still have a relatively bad reputation cause of the family's scheeming so he won't be able to marry easily. That's why the rebellion needs to happen first. like @fra8 The best thing would be a small timeskip or the rebellion happens in like the next 2 episodes.

4 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

Thanks for taking time explaining. I just want to clarify that there are three types of sons main wife born di, concubine born shu and illegitimate sons who were born of outside women and did not get recorded in family ancestry book. Shu sons are considered legitimate. In Song Dynasty, shu son, however, has right to equally divide family assests with di sons though they do not have right to inherit the nobility title (ref: Concubines in Song China, women and the family in history of China). The illegitimate sons will not have right to any family assests and their names won't be registered into ancestry book.  

The main wife and parents have to approve the concubine to be married into the family. The outside women are those with very low status like prostitutes and entertainers from brothels (even if they do not sell their bodies) that main wife and parents do not agree to welcome her into the family. I think a guy can have concubines in addition to tong-fan maids before marrying legal wife. In the case of GTY’s family, their standard is high as they won’t accept MN because she is singer even though she is not from brothel. 

In GTY’s case, he is having issue to find a wife because he only wants to marry di daughter. He already said that it would be easy for him to marry ML who is a shu born when they were fighting in desert shop. Although it did not happen in drama, he was able to marry Yu Yan Hong, di daughter and younger half-sister of Yanran  in the book even though Yanran parents know that he has two kids with outside women. Unlike in drama, MN took both kids with her when she went to Yu house. He could not marry Yanran only because she was raised by her grandparents and they want her to have peaceful marriage life and they thought that he having two kids with a woman like MN will be miserable life for Yanran who is too soft. I do not remember what happened to accepting MN as concubine after he got married to YH. I think at that point he already found out MN’s nature and decided not to bring her in. He had to scheme to marry ML is because of her grandmom not because of SH and WS. SH and WS already agreed Rulan di daughter to marry him after he became general. 

Reveal hidden contents

In the book, Liang Liu's concubine, shu sister of the wife of one of his shu older brother, was already pregnant and that was one of the reasons Liang Mama was fine with her son marrying ML and another reason is she thinks that ML is prettier and have ability to manage scheming concubine of her son. 

Spoiler

From the novel spoilers I read, GTY and first wife did not get along. His first wife would not accept MN and the kids, but then not long after marriage, GTY had to leave and first wife cheated, got prego, was going to try and claim it was GTY’s kid, but stepmom found out and MN tricked her into miscarriage where she bled to death.

9 hours ago, minglan1 said:

@crackaddict I didn't like how Shen Hong wanted to brush aside the possibility of foul play in ML mom's demise.He is a shrewd guy and I feel he has guessed in part that the inner court ladies had not played fair in the circumstances leading to her death.At this point he is too worried of not getting his household involved in a scandal.

He comes across as a very selfish man.

I hate ML father for this kind of attitude.. I wonder how he will react in this drama later when his fav daughter Molan hurt ML's face. I just hope he will go to ruin bcoz of his fav concubine Lin... sheesshhh.. Thinking bout him always wanna make me smash things..

I know there is so much discussion about GTY & QH in this forum... For me, I love both character anyway LOL.. Since ML already make a clean break with QH by returning the doll, I'm looking forward for the romance part between GTY & ML... hihihii.. 

7 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

Yes men in that period could have many women even before marriage, but you can see from the drama that none of them had illegitimate children  before getting married, to be exact none of them had eldest children born from a concubine. That was considered shameful and will lessen his marriage potential to a woman with status. Moreover when GTY was looking for a wife earlier in the drama, his goal was to find someone who would treat his concubine right. He had no rights to ask such a thing from his main wife and her family. He was selfish, disrespect, ignorant and shameless. That was no action coming from a gentlemen with dignity, nor it was fit for someone of his education background and his status of aristocracy. The fact that that girl was not the main lead didn't stop me from feeling angry for her. He left a very bad first impression so no wonder he is being criticized by viewers.

Yes GTY was ignorant in thinking that others would understand that he is trying to take responsibility for the consequences (kids) of his relationship with a mistress, but for me as a viewer it made him look better. However, if I was someone in that time period, I could understand the reluctance of families to allow a marriage between him and their daughters as well as the issues it causes with other children born to the main wife.  But I would have to disagree that men didn’t have illegitimate children before getting married. Many probably did, especially if the had women outside of the household where pregnancy prevention isn’t monitored (think that’s how MN got pregnant second time in the novel-didn’t take contraceptive or something). It’s just not depicted in the drama, but a lot of times they don’t keep or care for the kids. They cut ties or as GTY’s father and Yanruo’s mother put it, throw them away before getting married. It happens in both eastern and western cultures in historical stuff I’ve read. They’re just not open about it like GTY; even though he doesn’t fully broadcast it, he doesn’t hide it either, completely breaking the rules. It just so happens that we have a main lead who’s character was shaped from the misery of loosing his mother and poor treatment from his family so then he does not want to abandon his kids. 

13 minutes ago, lyaarisa said:

I hate ML father for this kind of attitude.. I wonder how he will react in this drama later when his fav daughter Molan hurt ML's face. I just hope he will go to ruin bcoz of his fav concubine Lin... sheesshhh.. Thinking bout him always wanna make me smash things..

I know there is so much discussion about GTY & QH in this forum... For me, I love both character anyway LOL.. Since ML already make a clean break with QH by returning the doll, I'm looking forward for the romance part between GTY & ML... hihihii.. 

Spoiler

Both of them will get the taste of their medicine soon (tomorrow night). ML's  grand plan of revenge will be successful and both will receive their long awaited punishment. 

@hello210 Agree with you. But unlike those who throw away their children, GTY takes full responsibility and loves his children. He cares for his daughter quite a big deal. Atleast when ML and GTY marries she won't treat his children bad since ML is born from a concubine she understands the suffering of that. Looking forward to their marriage life and i'm curious how ML will treat Rong.

2 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

@hello210 Agree with you. But unlike those who throw away their children, GTY takes full responsibility and loves his children. He cares for his daughter quite a big deal. Atleast when ML and GTY marries she won't treat his children bad since ML is born from a concubine she understands the suffering of that. Looking forward to their marriage life and i'm curious how ML will treat Rong.

Spoiler

She has already treated rong well. Gave gty advised not to loitering around but to consider Rong's future. Acting on ML's advised gtu brought back Rong to be taken care by the nanny and sent her off to school. And based on spoiler pictures, ML treated Rong as her own daughter, eating together as one family. 

c5e9d3a4gy1fz3skpghqtj21hc0u0dvt.jpg

5 minutes ago, hello210 said:

So I’m confused on which episodes it’s up to now...based on the schedule today’s (night in China) episode was 30 right? Maybe they’re just late uploading in YouTube?

Tonite was 30th episode. 

8 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

She has already treated rong well. Gave gty advised not to loitering around but to consider Rong's future. Acting on ML's advised gtu brought back Rong to be taken care by the nanny and sent her off to school. And based on spoiler pictures, ML treated Rong as her own daughter, eating together as one family. 

c5e9d3a4gy1fz3skpghqtj21hc0u0dvt.jpg

Tonite was 30th episode. 

@leeza77 thanks :lol: it’s what happens when I’m watching two different cut versions and one site somehow got behind with an episode.

Spoiler

They must have done a time skip cause Xiao Rong is bigger. Cute family dinner picture.

Link down here for Preview and latest raw episode. I'm not sure if it's official. Tell me if it's not and i'll remove it.

@leeza77 Yes, i know about that. But in the novel she treated Rong well, but was awkward around her i heard. So i'm curious to see if it will be different in the drama ^^

'

8 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

Link down here for Preview and latest raw episode. I'm not sure if it's official. Tell me if it's not and i'll remove it.

@hello210 Do you have link for spoiler pictures?

'

@Lunkera I’m not sure if that’s official either since I can’t read Chinese but that’s the site I go to. They normally upload every morning about an hour after live broadcast. They have two different versions that are segmented at different points of the drama for each episode. But today one version is 1 episode behind. The other version doesn’t update until the afternoon. 

Regarding spoiler pictures, sorry I don’t have a link. I was referring to the picture the leeza77 put in her spoiler comment. @leeza77 Do you have a link for spoiler pictures?

Archived