[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ForgottenSoulx

Indeed. But unfortunately in life, there's more than love an being the person we love. In reality, as much as we would like it to be, love does not conquer all. There are always other things to take into consideration. 

And that's why I love this show. It's enough to give us hope, yet realistic enough to keep it real and keep us grounded. 

25 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

@ForgottenSoulx

Indeed. But unfortunately in life, there's more than love an being the person we love. In reality, as much as we would like it to be, love does not conquer all. There are always other things to take into consideration. 

And that's why I love this show. It's enough to give us hope, yet realistic enough to keep it real and keep us grounded. 

Precisely it is a slice of life not fantasy wuxia. That is why I don’t feel heartbreak either when the male lead has love interests in the beginning. Otherwise if it were like an Ashes of Love type of drama I would hate it to the core seeing the male lead with other woman. Hahaha 

People say that Minglan has feelings for YuanRou that’s fine we all have different interpretation and views of the characters and their situations. However even though he is a great guy I am yet to be convinced that she does have feelings of him. Her being flustered or whatever feels more like she has no more way to refute this young master trying to enamour her lol. After all he is the first male to show interest in her. Just because he is a good catch well there is many more that are and suitable for her as well like the Doctor her grandma is trying to set her up with. Also, in their generation especially Asians it’s not good to be so direct. She have already turned him down politely many times and again at first he got offended when she gave him snacks and told her maid to stop pestering her and so he wanted to get drunk. They barely interact as well there is no room for any possible feelings to blossom in her heart as far as I see. I’ll see later with more episodes and their interactions if she does have some feelings for him. If she did that’s one chapter of her life she will learn to move on from. It was probably love at first sight for him because he knows nothing about her.

I believe ML do have feelings for QH but she squashes it in her head as soon as she realised she is smiling when she thinks of him. Her heart and brain are in conflicts hence even when she rejects him outwardly yet not firmly because her heart interfere it. If we look at all her confrontations between her and QH, QH knows n feels she has feelings for him. So whenever she rejects him, he got all confused by the signals. He reads her body laguage and her body language says otherwise from her mouth. 

ML knows she can never have QH because of his and her status. She doesn't even hope to be his wife and she knows the problems she will faced even in event he managed to marry her as his wife. ML is fighting very hard battle with her heart with her brain. But sometimes we can't control how we feel and our body language betray us.

ML will be happy with whomever she marries be it QH or GTY. GTY will challenge her in terms of her wits and spirit. With QH, she will be his queen and his life. He will do everything for her. If we look carefully and we can see why QH falls so hard for ML - ML & his mom are similar.  Both are very strong women in personality and smart. QH & GTY both will turn marshmallows in ML hands. ML will be the master of GTY.

I think too that she has feelings for QH. It’s a puppy love, tender and sweet. It arose from his admiration mostly. But it is telling that she doesn’t contemplate being with him. She is right, she wants to be the main wife, safe, respects her granny but this means also that her feelings are not so strong to overcome practical considerations. And it fits with her character. At the same time I believe her true love will be gty. Both will learn how to love and what is love, that is much more complicated.

I also think ML in the drama have somewhat feeling for QH, because even when she’s very careful with her heart, she’s also still a young girl. Not so much with the novel ML who is a time traveller so that her wisedom is far beyond lectures and book reading

2 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

People say that Minglan has feelings for YuanRou that’s fine we all have different interpretation and views of the characters and their situations. However even though he is a great guy I am yet to be convinced that she does have feelings of him. Her being flustered or whatever feels more like she has no more way to refute this young master trying to enamour her lol. After all he is the first male to show interest in her. Just because he is a good catch well there is many more that are and suitable for her as well like the Doctor her grandma is trying to set her up with. Also, in their generation especially Asians it’s not good to be so direct. She have already turned him down politely many times and again at first he got offended when she gave him snacks and told her maid to stop pestering her and so he wanted to get drunk. They barely interact as well there is no room for any possible feelings to blossom in her heart as far as I see. I’ll see later with more episodes and their interactions if she does have some feelings for him. If she did that’s one chapter of her life she will learn to move on from. It was probably love at first sight for him because he knows nothing about her.

There are 2 incidents which makes me believe that ML indeed has feelings for QH:

- She did see him a knee pads and then secretly pass to him via the basket (looking slightly smitten if I may add); and

- she was distracted in her writing when QH and the bros were taking the exam. And when granny saw through her, and lay it down to her what it means for ML to be with QH, she actually said that she's aware of all these, but its just so hard....and then she teared a lil in granny's arms. 

Based on the 2 scenes above, I think it would be hard to say she has no feelings for him at all. For if so, why the knee pads? Why the heart to heart talk with Grandma on something that's totally fictitious?

However, I don't necessarily believe that she's in love with him, as I'm not entirely convinced a 15yo truly understand what love is; and also the fact that I personally think love is a strong word. 

She is attracted to him, but I think it stops there. She clearly isn't attracted or in love enough to get into any trouble with the family for him. 

The feelings she had isn't enough for her to fight for him, or fight for the love. 

The infatuation or puppy love clearly isn't enough for her to stake anything to it. 

Just finished 17 & 18 with subs.

Now I think we can safely conclude that ML likes QH too. But she's just a level headed about the whole thing, I'm very impressed. 

The conversation at the temple on how significantly different the consequences for her than they are for him. 

The fact that she only has a handful of rice, while he has a gold vault to gamble with. 

What surprises me though is how could he not understand that and needs to have ML spell it out for him so bluntly, and still believe wholeheartedly that all will be fine because he will marry her as his main wife. 

That's naivete at best...

He likes her, I get that, but can't he see that she's got everything to lose, and almost nothing to gain (other than maybe him)?

As the da niangs maid said later, if Rulan (and for our discussion, ML) marries QH, it will be either she gets bullied by her MIL for life, or just arguments and conflicts all the time, which will also wear QH down. Even though maid understands that, but QH still insists on it and truly believes it will end well?

I dunno, after their temple conversation, I really felt that QH has no plans, and is truly naive in this whole thing. He's just heading for a heartbreak, despite ML warning him to stay away. 

52 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Just finished 17 & 18 with subs.

Now I think we can safely conclude that ML likes QH too. But she's just a level headed about the whole thing, I'm very impressed. 

The conversation at the temple on how significantly different the consequences for her than they are for him. 

The fact that she only has a handful of rice, while he has a gold vault to gamble with. 

What surprises me though is how could he not understand that and needs to have ML spell it out for him so bluntly, and still believe wholeheartedly that all will be fine because he will marry her as his main wife. 

That's naivete at best...

He likes her, I get that, but can't he see that she's got everything to lose, and almost nothing to gain (other than maybe him)?

As the da niangs maid said later, if Rulan (and for our discussion, ML) marries QH, it will be either she gets bullied by her MIL for life, or just arguments and conflicts all the time, which will also wear QH down. Even though maid understands that, but QH still insists on it and truly believes it will end well?

I dunno, after their temple conversation, I really felt that QH has no plans, and is truly naive in this whole thing. He's just heading for a heartbreak, despite ML warning him to stay away. 

I agree and this is why I don't feel very much for him despite being a nice guy. It's not even his fault because he is too sheltered and pampered. But I prefer people that get the situations and try to act according to them. He doesnt devise a plan. He doesnt imagine their future. He puts her in a difficult situation witout even trying to understand her. Sometimes I feel he idolizes her and likes her, even because she isnt' at his feet.

7 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Tonight minglan cried silently. I can feel her devastation:bawling:. Really loved QH. Don't cry girl, a better man man was waiting for you. 

Cant wait to see the episode.  But I imagine losing someone that loved her deeply and she had feelings for was hard. She couldnt fanthom what kind of man her family would pick, she had seen enough bad marriages to hope for feelings or  happiness. It's another hard step for her.

1 hour ago, fra8 said:

I agree and this is why I don't feel very much for him despite being a nice guy. It's not even his fault because he is too sheltered and pampered. But I prefer people that get the situations and try to act according to them. He doesnt devise a plan. He doesnt imagine their future. He puts her in a difficult situation witout even trying to understand her. Sometimes I feel he idolizes her and likes her, even because she isnt' at his feet.

Spoiler

When QH told his mother his intention to marry minglan, he actually signed a death warrant for minglan. The grandma understood the precarious situation of minglan and took minglan away. QH didn't understand his mom. How cruel she can be in protecting her family status and nobility. Poor QH. 

13 minutes ago, fra8 said:

Cant wait to see the episode.  But I imagine losing someone that loved her deeply and she had feelings for was hard. She couldnt fanthom what kind of man her family would pick, she had seen enough bad marriages to hope for feelings or  happiness. It's another hard step for her.

[sad]
006lMuvyly1fyydtihqnsj30k00zkad5.jpg

1 hour ago, fra8 said:

Personally, I do not judge QH so hard. He honestly believed he could overcome his mother's objections. His plan was simple: ask for marriage the usual way. Who hasn't had a first/young love like that? Where you believe everything & anything is possible because your heart says so? ML & GTY has faced adversities since their youth, so being more pragmatic (ML) and cunning (GTY) is understandable. 

Archived