[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

9 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Zly takes on her character as minglan. Insightful and full of wisdom. 

4b0c804aly8fyj8ladif2j20ro0rpmye.jpg

Zhao Liying 

2018-12-25 from glory V20 48 million 3D camera

#电视剧 know whether it should be green fatred thin #盛明兰, seemingly indifferent to warm, but in fact tough and bold, in the conspiracy struggle to honed a transparent and keen exquisite heart. She understands both the situation and the retreat, and she dares to open up everything to protect the people and things she cherishes. The story of Minglan is not just a "prostitute to attack the success of the prostitute", "reverse attack" is not only an upgraded monster in the past, but also a mirror reflecting the life. Ming Lan said in the play, "I like the faint days most, and it is best not to happen anything." This is the most pristine initial heart after she has gone through thousands of sails, and reflects the background of each of us. In the more than six months of getting along with Minglan, I have been interpreting her and talking to her. She has pulled me from idealism to realism. I understand that the strength of a person does not necessarily come from confrontation. From balance and tolerance.I can understand the true meaning of life and reconcile with it, and then warm up love and hard work. This is the most wonderful power that life has given us. This kind of power, I hope to feel with you. 

Do you know if you are broadcasting today, I wish you all a Merry Christmas
and wish us "I know no": "Home and everything"!
  •  
  •  

Thanks for that @leeza77

That totally hit the nail in the head. There's always this thing about ML but I simply couldn't seem to find the right words for it - balance and tolerance. 

We recall reading in early days (before the series even started airing) that ML is a pessimist, and I recall going "no no no. Don't tell me ZLY is playing a damsel in distress, bowing to her fate kinda character" but then as I read on that she's intelligent, I had a feeling she's rather jaded. 

But as I watch the series, it doesn't seem to me like she's jaded. And finally youve got the words! Tolerance and balance. 

I know it's totally unrelated but it felt a lil like she learned from CQ (from PA) that alone, she really couldn't change the world. In an ideal world, there would be no oppression, no discrimination against status and class, and there would be equality among gender. However, in the real world, in that era, all these and more exist. 

There's inequality, there's injustice, there's unfairness. 

We could see that she had a moment of enlightenment when Momo punished her as well despite only the 2 sisters were arguing. 

That "she committed wrong without committing any wrong, just because she's part of Sheng".

We can see that there's the sphere they live, and limitation of what they can and can't do. 

ML isn't trying to change the world. She's not even trying to fight all inequality and injustice, which is why she would never fight tooth and nail to be with QH. she simply accepted that it's too high a mountain, and it's not one she wants to climb. It's a balance between letting go what is not meant to be hers, with fighting for what she truly wants. 

It's the tolerance to accept them, tolerate to maintain peace. 

In the end, peace can come in 2 forms: we fight in wars, with a lot of sacrifices, and in the end, if we emerge the winner, we may get the peace we want (and that was CQ from PA's belief), 

Or we tolerate and find the delicate balance, despite the discrimination and unfairness, and in exchange, get some peace.

Either way, there's a price to pay. But that's life...

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Thanks for that @leeza77

That totally hit the nail in the head. There's always this thing about ML but I simply couldn't seem to find the right words for it - balance and tolerance. 

We recall reading in early days (before the series even started airing) that ML is a pessimist, and I recall going "no no no. Don't tell me ZLY is playing a damsel in distress, bowing to her fate kinda character" but then as I read on that she's intelligent, I had a feeling she's rather jaded. 

But as I watch the series, it doesn't seem to me like she's jaded. And finally youve got the words! Tolerance and balance. 

I know it's totally unrelated but it felt a lil like she learned from CQ (from PA) that alone, she really couldn't change the world. In an ideal world, there would be no oppression, no discrimination against status and class, and there would be equality among gender. However, in the real world, in that era, all these and more exist. 

There's inequality, there's injustice, there's unfairness. 

We could see that she had a moment of enlightenment when Momo punished her as well despite only the 2 sisters were arguing. 

That "she committed wrong without committing any wrong, just because she's part of Sheng".

We can see that there's the sphere they live, and limitation of what they can and can't do. 

ML isn't trying to change the world. She's not even trying to fight all inequality and injustice, which is why she would never fight tooth and nail to be with QH. she simply accepted that it's too high a mountain, and it's not one she wants to climb. It's a balance between letting go what is not meant to be hers, with fighting for what she truly wants. 

It's the tolerance to accept them, tolerate to maintain peace. 

In the end, peace can come in 2 forms: we fight in wars, with a lot of sacrifices, and in the end, if we emerge the winner, we may get the peace we want (and that was CQ from PA's belief), 

Or we tolerate and find the delicate balance, despite the discrimination and unfairness, and in exchange, get some peace.

Either way, there's a price to pay. But that's life...

Well said. 

2 hours ago, scorpio1m said:

I think she actually likes him at this point but she's holding back because of her status and what her mom & grandma have told her to do. She already repaid his kindness with the basket of sweets and every time he confronts her she never simply says, "I do not like you" - -either to his face or to her maids and grandma who know that Yuan Rou has feelings for her.

Hmmm I wonder because how can her feelings develop when she is a realist and has stopped the idea of them ever becoming one from the get go. Keep in mind that in their time a girl can only give herself to one man let alone choose the man. I think instead of like/crush she instead thinks highly of him/admiration and possible feel regret that his affection is wasted on her. Not saying she is unworthy of a man as him but given their circumstances she cannot reciprocate those feelings and rather avoid conflict and don’t want to be the cause of meaningless fights. And she wants him to know that she will not engage her emotions just on anybody that takes fancy on her either. She will wait for the chosen marriage proposal granted to her. After all her character and nature is still suppressed so I don’t see any aspirations from her aside from surviving the courtyard and being filial to her grandmother. Hopefully later when she marries GTY we can see more about her true nature and her aspirations in life if that is included in the novel.

At episode 17 when Yuanrou swear that his feelings are true and he would make her his main wife is touching but.... He is both naive and an idealist. Because he became a fool in love that believes Minglan has him in his heart he became more rampant in trying to persuade her thinking that Minglan just worries if she cannot be the main wife but he completely misunderstood what she’s trying to tell him... Even when Minglan laid out all the possible circumstances they will face. Not because she has him in her heart but trying to wake him up to reality... Though he will realize later on. Remember he was angered by her when he thinks just because he is good to her and give her gifts she should show some interests and reciprocate some feelings. Instead she turned him down many times. At that point I thought if he likes Minglan or only obsessed with the idea of having someone he cannot have. But he realized her situation and that made him more cautious of his actions thus trying to meet her in secret and any way possible... I commend him for trying so hard and not being like the other young masters in his time but it takes two to tango lol... Since I didn’t read the novel I’ll wait how the events will turn but as of right now I believe her feelings for YR will remain lukewarm while he has unrequited love.

12 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

Hmmm I wonder because how can her feelings develop when she is a realist and has stopped the idea of them ever becoming one from the get go. Keep in mind that in their time a girl can only give herself to one man let alone choose the man. I think instead of like/crush she instead thinks highly of him/admiration and possible feel regret that his affection is wasted on her. Not saying she is unworthy of a man as him but given their circumstances she cannot reciprocate those feelings and rather avoid conflict and don’t want to be the cause of meaningless fights. And she wants him to know that she will not engage her emotions just on anybody that takes fancy on her either. She will wait for the chosen marriage proposal granted to her. After all her character and nature is still suppressed so I don’t see any aspirations from her aside from surviving the courtyard and being filial to her grandmother. Hopefully later when she marries GTY we can see more about her true nature and her aspirations in life if that is included in the novel.

At episode 17 when Yuanrou swear that his feelings are true and he would make her his main wife is touching but.... He is both naive and an idealist. Because he became a fool in love that believes Minglan has him in his heart he became more rampant in trying to persuade her thinking that Minglan just worries if she cannot be the main wife but he completely misunderstood what she’s trying to tell him... Even when Minglan laid out all the possible circumstances they will face. Not because she has him in her heart but trying to wake him up to reality... Though he will realize later on. Remember he was angered by her when he thinks just because he is good to her and give her gifts she should show some interests and reciprocate some feelings. Instead she turned him down many times. At that point I thought if he likes Minglan or only obsessed with the idea of having someone he cannot have. But he realized her situation and that made him more cautious of his actions thus trying to meet her in secret and any way possible... I commend him for trying so hard and not being like the other young masters in his time but it takes two to tango lol... Since I didn’t read the novel I’ll wait how the events will turn but as of right now I believe her feelings for YR will remain lukewarm while he has unrequited love.

Spoiler

I think she liked him too.. But concealed it in her heart. When QH pressed her to admit her feeling to him, she refused. It just a liking or infatuation, but not yet love. 

@m0us3y I love what you highlighted about MingLan characteristics as well as the life lessons in this drama. There are many lessons that transcends through time. For instance if one keeps aspiring for more they will never find true/real happiness.... And how being a filial kid starts from having a parent who is caring to the child. And how the kids are used as pawns by their parents or mothers. I feel that is still prevalent in today’s society. LOL 

From the spoilers posted on the novel about YH forever having unrequited love for Minglan it reminds me The story of Yanxi Palace. How Fuheng keeps living in the past with his regretted love and Wei Ying Lou has accepted her circumstances and cherishes and living in the present. Maybe in their next lifetime. :tears:

6 minutes ago, minoku2209 said:

In epi18..

A discussion by Yanran parents to change the marriage of her sister to Yanhong.. seems father alr interested due to money & profits gaining from GTY, wonder if they follow the novel here.

Anyway i havent watch epi 19-20 yet.

Spoiler

Episode 18 revealed that gty regarded ml not as a woman but still a little girl (a baby he told her) . That's why their love has not developed at this stage. ML told gty to be careful with manniang as she is not a good woman, but gty attacked her back saying ml also not that good, stringing QH along. 

I love ml-grandma moment where grandma noted ml was so fierced when handling yanran-manniang issue and that will ruin her reputation if the matter was known by the public. Ml was unrepentant because she will do anything for her friend. That's how she is. Grandma concurred and she vowed to protect minglan all her life... So, touching. 

<spoiler>

1 hour ago, cherubstomato said:

</spoiler>

While the brain wants what it knows is the best for us, the heart wants what the heart wants. 

There are lil doubt that ML is wise beyond her years, but at 15, someone of that calibre and status (and looks!) completely smitten by her, and showing her that kinda affection, it would be more unbelievable for her to not feel a thing. Infatuated or something more. 

Although I don't think there's much more than admiration and infatuation.

Having said that, ML has always operate based on her brain and not heart, so she has never said it outright that she doesn't love him (because that would be untrue), but always emphasise on the trouble his affection could bring (the brain talking).

Episode 18: I love the debate which escalated into an argument between GTY and ML. They made me laugh, but what I enjoyed most is the smile in GTY's face when he turned his back to leave a sputtering ML,  that she won't marry him and rather be somebody or somewhere else. He enjoyed the heated exchange very much. She threw the gauntlet and he happily took it. He loves the prospect of challenging chase. I am looking forward to it. If GTY thought that QH was like a kite for ML, wait till he realizes what ML will do to him. She will fight like a shrew and he will have to exert more effort than a kite to tame and win her. I hope the drama will concentrate on this delightful courtship and no other prospects or wives for GTY. They have too much problems to overcome already. Crossing my fingers 

6 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

<spoiler>

</spoiler>

While the brain wants what it knows is the best for us, the heart wants what the heart wants. 

There are lil doubt that ML is wise beyond her years, but at 15, someone of that calibre and status (and looks!) completely smitten by her, and showing her that kinda affection, it would be more unbelievable for her to not feel a thing. Infatuated or something more. 

Having said that, ML has always operate based on her brain and not heart, so she has never said it outright that she doesn't love him (because that would be untrue), but always emphasise on the trouble his affection could bring (the brain talking).

Yes you are correct it has to be her brain to always do the talking and actions because she does not have the luxury to daydream. I love the instances though that she chooses her battles and stands up what she believes like when she helped her friend despite causing trouble on her part. Shows that she has the ability to be emphatic and not just always using her brains. But with YH his love is not something she wants to fight for therefore she doesn’t want to pursue it.

1 hour ago, cherubstomato said:

Ill disagree because i think she does have QH in her heart she at least feel's something which is why she always gets flustered around him in my opinion.

Think of a ideal world where everything was possible before episode 20 who would she pick? it would be QH.

It takes two to tango but ML has not been innocent at all if she just said straight away when he first showed interested that shes not interested there would be no issues, she never flat out denied him. At least not at the start.

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

I think she liked him too.. But concealed it in her heart. When QH pressed her to admit her feeling to him, she refused. It just a liking or infatuation, but not yet love. 

Spoiler

I think it was love i dont think in life you can only love one person.

24 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

<spoiler>

</spoiler>

Exactly if she listens to her heart then she would have picked QH so easily so i think people who are saying she feels nothing need to look closer ;p.

46 minutes ago, minoku2209 said:

In epi18..

A discussion by Yanran parents to change the marriage of her sister to Yanhong.. seems father alr interested due to money & profits gaining from GTY, wonder if they follow the novel here.

Anyway i havent watch epi 19-20 yet.

Spoiler

Hahaha...the elders from Grandma’s generation are hilarious. It was so funny when  Yanran’s grandpa told his son that if the father has the say in marriage, then divorce your wife. 

Archived