[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

Wow really? I didnt know..so will she be on it?

Nope, just accompanied him like she did during the new year.. Be a cheer lady to the hubby (behind the scene). Maybe go eating hotpot again. Ha ha:lol:

27 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

I agree, thank you. You wrote and explained better what I was trying to say about  the Strategems of War and what granny is teaching her. 

Anyway, I never knew about the Strategems of War until granny brought it up"Besiege Wèi to rescue Zhàowhile teaching ML. Granny mentioned this story of a woman general who used the 2nd Strategem of War to defeat the enemy and helped his father to become the emperor and found a dynasty. A gate was erected in her honor and the pass where the war commenced was named after the princess heroine and still exist today. That is what ML's mother gave her a painting of the gate in the pass where the heroine princess won the day. If I am not mistaken that is what ML hung beside the painting Molan gave her at her new home. I think that since this was a special mention in the drama that this same situation and strategy may come up sometime in the drama in the life of ML and GTY? I hope so. There is a situation here where royal princes are vying for the crown prince position. So ML may be the heroine to save the day for the "emperor to be"??

Ahhhh. Thanks !! So that's what the mom's painting meant! 

The mom only mentioned to ML that the painting was very well embroidered hence wanted ML to keep it. I didn't know the meaning behind that painting. So it turns out that the painting has deeper meaning to it after all! Thanks!!! 

15 minutes ago, hello210 said:

The lessons she learns are not really needed to manage her husband but more for managing everyone else in the household because she would have all three men in the putty of her hands if she wanted. The Doc is mild mannered, QH is beyond infatuated, and GTY is actually very loving too. Being the main wife or favored concubine makes you a target. And also in the case of QH, anyone that comes between Princess mama and her boy’s potential can be a target.

Lol. Good point there. 

I think whoever she chooses as her husband, she would be able to handle them just because she's so intelligent. 

They are either already beyond smitten (as the case with QH) or will truly admire her wits and intelligence (as with the doc and GTY)

The problem would always be everyone else. 

8 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

Not in the drama, but a side note...in the novel spoilers, they said that while she was exiled, she tried to escape so Wáng Shi had her locked up and had them feed her lard 3 times a day so she got fat and lost her looks. 

I was hoping for something more dramatic since Lin Niang practically got away with murder. But I guess losing her looks means she lost Papa Shengs affection since he seems the superficial kind of man. Plus she and her daughter MoLan were really annoying with their fake crying.

30 minutes ago, frostflower14 said:

I was hoping for something more dramatic since Lin Niang practically got away with murder. But I guess losing her looks means she lost Papa Shengs affection since he seems the superficial kind of man. Plus she and her daughter MoLan were really annoying with their fake crying.

Spoiler

She lost Papa Sheng’s affection when her and Molan plotted to marriage with the Marquis 6th son when the country was supposed to be in mourning due to a royal death bring shame to the Sheng family. 

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:

Nope, just accompanied him like she did during the new year.. Be a cheer lady to the hubby (behind the scene). Maybe go eating hotpot again. Ha ha:lol:

How did you know :lol:?so Feng Shaofeng will appear on happy camp with the cast?

13 hours ago, hello210 said:

I also think it’s funny and contradicting that after her little talk with QH, ML didn’t pay any mind to propriety when she was arguing in public with GTY. Really starting to see the contrast in her behavior with the two leads now. GTY can really provoke her.

@hello210    I too find it funny, love the way GTY knows how to get under her skin. Make her forget where she is and fight back. ZLY looks so cute when she argued wth him in public. Everyone saw her and yet she trie to hide behind the wall. lol lol 

5 hours ago, m0us3y said:

I think we could see ML is already her own, with her own thoughts and understanding on things and her surroundings. Its also clear that she sees things with a lot more clarity than even the men. And that's why she would be able to help whoever she gets together with to achieve greater heights. 

Question is, does she want to fight alongside someone who has no experience in how these battles are fought, or with someone who has been through similar experiences? Or does she want a peaceful quiet, simple life with someone simpler (the doc)?

@m0us3y I agree ML is her own woman, intelligent  but she decided  at her mother's deathbed to not STAND OUT.  She is following her mother's wisdom so her life can be peaceful. She understands that she only has grandmother ( not her biological grandma) by her side that is why she is so careful. 

Episode 17  Concubine Li is heartless proof of not caring about Sheng Hong ‘s reputation 

x4TF0nmyf3aWJA5q7nCP6V862dkNG9oo8RbGiD3R

All mama Concubine Li had to mention private saving that will last 3 GENERATIONS , was able to convince Mo Lan to go after the Sixrh Mastee is the Liang Family.

nEdgvMg_kpXYYlawlS4U4i_KyzQob-ygYPWh7kXR

4 hours ago, frostflower14 said:

It seems ML and her aunt are investigating the true reason behind her mothers death and Lin Niang is worried that ML still remembers her mother

Does anyone know how ML will get her revenge on Lin Niang? 

I don't actually remember if she did get her revenge or not....or considered Lin niang's turn of fate as a form of justice for her mother.

Spoiler

Lin niang started facing trouble soon after Kong momo came....she had to try extra hard to manipulate Sheng Hong. Da niang was still the easy one.

Sheng Hong actually started being alert to Lin niang's manipulations after Kong momo made him aware of how unfair he was being in his treatment of his main wife and his concubine. She also explained how much trouble that could bring if the concubine started thinking above herself. She showed him how the mother and daughter were using his love for them to their advantage. Then soon after everything Kong Momo told him was being played out in front of him. Lin niang tried to convince him to go talk to the princess about Molan for QH and he was furious. Shocked that she'd even consider such a thing. LN realized that Sheng Hong was not in her control anymore and Sheng Hong realized he had let LN get out of hand with his affections. So he ignored her for a while. After that he became wary of Lin niang and kept his head whenever she started using her viles for something or the other.

I don't think they kept this in the drama...coz this scene already happened......without SH loosing his temper.

4 hours ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

I dunno how the drama will twist about the issue, but in the novel lin niang poisoned grandma and minglan insisted that linniang be given severe punishment (sheng hong disagreed for fear of stain to family name). Changbai supported minglan and linniang was exiled to monastery to reflect on her wrongdoings. 

I think it was...

Spoiler

Da niang who poisoned Granny on her sister/cousin's? egging. Her sister was manipulating her to do it for spite or something...can't remember. ML totally stood her ground and got both sisters punished. She even got her fathers house under total lock down...complete with guards from GTY's house....no one coming in or going out.

I gained new respect for Chang bai after he supported ML against his mother. He knew the only way this situation would be resolved was his mother taking the punishment so he threatened to resign from his official position. Da niang was exiled to live in a temple, I think. 

4 hours ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

In the drama, all of Concubine Lin’s words does make it seem like she’ll harm Grandma.

In the novel Concubine Lin was exiled because of their trickery to get Molan’s marriage...not in the drama, but a side note...in the novel spoilers, they said that while she was exiled, she tried to escape so Wáng Shi had her locked up and had them feed her lard 3 times a day so she got fat and lost her looks. 

Dan Niang Wáng Shi get exiled for poisoning Grandma after Concubine Lin was exiled.

Lol trust Wang shi to choose such a punishment as she's been watching Lin shi use her looks to keep herself in favor for years.

I loved reading all the discussions about ML and who's right for her. I agree with most of what you guys said....but maybe we should also try and understand who needs her the most out of the three guys....for me thats always been GTY. I think even GTY realized this. All his tricks and schemes to get her kind of screams his desperation to me. Sometimes, needing someone is a more powerful persuasion than love.

24 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

@hello210    I too find it funny, love the way GTY knows how to get under her skin. Make her forget where she is and fight back. ZYL looks so cute when she argued wth him in public. Everyone saw her and yet she trie to hide behind the wall. lol lol 

@m0us3y I agree ML is her own woman, intelligent  but she decided  at her mother's deathbed to not STAND OUT.  She is following her mother's wisdom so her life can be peaceful. She understands that she only has grandmother ( not her biological grandma) by her side that is why she is so careful. 

@UnniSarah I think U meant ZLY? Theres ZLY, and then there's ZYL in this show. :wacko:

Gets me confused sometimes. Hehehe

Good point there on her to not stand out. In fact, didn't the mom made her promise to lay low and live a peaceful life?? 

She sure lives up to her promise and commitment as we can see she hardly say much (except to the granny). 

But that didn't stop her from continuing to learn, and take each opportunity as they come, from going to Scholar Zhuang (I hope I got the teacher's name right) classes to learning from Momo, beyond what she seems to be teaching of tea brewing and flower arrangements. Instead it's always the underlying and not so obvious lessons from Momo. While everyone was caught up about getting told off and getting punished, she saw how Momo handled the whole situation beautifully that it leaves no room for anyone to even protest! 

But I agree. I think she's also laying low to not give so much trouble for granny. 

Nonetheless, when it really matters, she has shown that she's willing to go the distance and do everything necessary and not give up until the very end. Just seeing how she fought tooth and nail so that yanran could win the mom's hairpin back. 

Thank you for the explanation of the 36 Stratagems.

I agree that Minglan would have been fine even if married to QH and He. But since life is long and sometimes hard, the best choice is the one that gets you most. Minglan was very practical so she never dreamed of QH even if she was infatuated and was satisfied with He. She didnt dream of love but of being safe. This is why she would have never picked GTY, he wasnt the safe choice.( also she wasnt infatuated as with QH). 

It's been a really enjoyable show so far. I've been a lurker for a bit here but decided to join in ^^ 

I don't know if this has been mentioned previously but has anyone noticed that the actress (Shi Shi) who plays Molan is also the Empress in Ever Night? So surprised since the characters are so different and didn't even notice at first. :lol:

Or maybe I'm just late to the game and everyone knows already. :sweatingbullets:

Archived