[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

episode 16:  I found this so funny. Mama Liang's son flirted with and likes Miss brow bending, poetry reciting, coquetry acting, Molan but Mama Liang dislikes her immensely because Mama favors Miss mallet whacker, polo contest winner, Ming Lan. Mama is loud of whom she dislikes and likes. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

episode 16:  I found this so funny. Mama Liang's son flirted with and likes Miss brow bending, poetry reciting, coquetry acting, Molan but Mama Liang dislikes her immensely because Mama favors Miss mallet whacker, polo contest winner, Ming Lan. Mama is loud of whom she dislikes and likes. 

Spoiler

Well believe it or not, molan succeed. She can give 101 lesson on how to catch a husband. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

40 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Yeah you are right she remember's but do we see anything that GTY remember's at least before episode 16 i have not done 16 yet ;p 

He remembers her, too. He doesn't talk about her much, but he sometimes comments about how she had grown since he last saw her (ep6/7), how her life is hard (ep 16) or how she's smarter than she appears (ep 11). They acknowledge each other, they understand each other pretty well (better than most people even), but they are not closely related in any sense, so they have to stay at a state of 'barely speaking term'.

Qi Heng keeps trying to directly, privately talk to a maiden like her is breaking all kinds of rules, and it's because he's in love. GTY at the moment has no reason to do that with Ming Lan, he has a whole family to take care of, ML is currently at a very very low priority in his head and vice versa.

• Like 8

In epi 16, I think Mdm Wu from Liang House looks much better person for mother in law rather than Princess QH's mom, who is so fierce & always think of their nobility status in the society.

And what ML's grandma said is fact & so true, cant deny ML will suffer more hardship if she were to be married to QH & his family. What more QH's is an only heir for sure he is a fillal son as well as mom's boy. No matter what, love alone cannot survive in this situation.

As for GTY he is alwys tough & reballious must be due to hardship from small as being brought up without a real mother, so this feeling he shared is the same as ML. The only different was in status GTY a legitimate son while ML a concubine daughter.

Therefore as far as ML status is concerned in that era, its very hard for her to be married to Young Master. But ofc as story goes by we know GTY succeed in marrying ML. It's not just love but he put an effort & action inorder to win her marrying him.

I guess its still a long way with the drama, sure more crisis, interesting & exciting incidents to happen include lovey dovey to come up too. Anyway, have a nice weekend everyone.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, gleek49 said:

He remembers her, too. He doesn't talk about her much, but he sometimes comments about how she had grown since he last saw her (ep6/7), how her life is hard (ep 16) or how she's smarter than she appears (ep 11). They acknowledge each other, they understand each other pretty well (better than most people even), but they are not closely related in any sense, so they have to stay at a state of 'barely speaking term'.

Qi Heng keeps trying to directly, privately talk to a maiden like her is breaking all kinds of rules, and it's because he's in love. GTY at the moment has no reason to do that with Ming Lan, he has a whole family to take care of, ML is currently at a very very low priority in his head and vice versa.

I agree. They dont have any reason to talk, they have other issues.

at the same time QH’s way of approaching her shows that he doesnt get her situation and hasnt a plan. GTY will be more subtle and effective.

• Like 4

Yes It was hilarious how Mama Liang was so upset with her son drooling over Molan.  I love how she simply loves and admires ML. I hope Mdm Liang will put Molan in her place when Molan eventually marries the son by entrapping him. Mdm Liang n her son will not be happy with her for her trick marriage. Mdm Liang is not a silly woman like Da Niang (Ruolan''s mom).

ML don't talk much because her mom at her deathbed told her to keep a low profile and be unheard and hide her intelligence.  So ML obeys her mom last wish. This kept ML safe from the wrath of Molan and her mom as well as Ruolan for many years. That's why ML told QH not to give her stuff or talk to her as she knows her sisters will make her life hell if anyone pays attention to her or compliment her.

I'm upset with ML father. How can he scold ML and say ML brings shame to family for horse riding. If it was Ruolan who did that race, he would have praised her to no end. So biased.

• Like 7

Yeah. The reaction of the father is absurd. He deserves the other bad children This is why minglan almost never shows her true self. In the book it never happened but i am glad here the polo scene was added.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Maybe the ending for QH will be different in the drama. If you love someone, let her be happy even if the person who made her happy is not you. 

If you love something let it go. ......

I have not read the book so am keeping an open mind for this drama as I did not want to be disappointed if the changes are too different etc.....so far, I like it and lke it a lot.  I like most of the male casts for their characters.  Even Minglan 3rd brother at times especially when he got bullied by Minglan to help Miss Yu at the polo game. Qiheng is a nice guy but is bound to family tradition so restricted to whom he could and could not marry.  GTY has always been alone from when he was a child so I guess his growing up has always been painful and rough and he has learned to be independent from small just like ML so they are more alike here.  

I think that ML did like QH but she knew that it was not a realistic dream and she too was family bound not to overstep her boundary (he is a Duke's son after all and only son at that so lots of pressure).  Plus she has to be super careful not to get their family name bandied around since her dad is an official. I just hope that they will give some sort of happiness too as he is such a sweet guy.  BTW, I like Changbai too.  He is so funny when he came to ML's house and the maid tried to touch him and he got all flustered....LOL  And he berated that ML will get bullied because she was too nice to her household servants.  I think it was in Episode 17 

• Like 6

I rewatched episode 3.  Did anyone else cried when ML lost her mom?  I did and I did each time I watched that part :bawling:  In the end her mom died due to excessive bleeding and no help around to assist in the birth....so sad.  And here we see that GTY actually helped ML and so I guessed he knew of her plight growing up in Sheng household.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, icyphoenix said:

The show broke the ratings of 1%..it broke the ratings on jan 2 episode!! 

qGW9ZXK.jpg

I have to binge watch it after my exams.. 

Bravo!  I am glad that it broke the 1% rating.  Phew........

5 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Hello @leeza77  ..... I am not familiar with names so please bare with me . Lol Who is Ershu????

Hello @ForgottenSoulx  He does remember her, The scene when he returns to the HSeng Household and see QH fanning Ming Lan. He truned to SC and say he would have never recognized her because she is so different. Also he know her life has been quite difficult. At the Polo match he told the lady who was wondering if he lost the game for ML or ML's friend. He commented that HER LIFE IS VERY DIFFICULT. Then he says he We shouldn't let ML's friend cry. 

@UnniSarah  Ershu = GTY.  Due to his status, Qiheng called him Ershu (Second uncle).  Then all the Sheng girls called him the same.  Except Changbai and his brother I think.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, leeza77 said:
5 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

But I am thinking Molan will fail in catching the right mother in law, no matter whose mother it is.... because mothers can see through her brow bending, poetry reciting, coquetry acting, throat whining petty self..  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

But I am thinking Molan will fail in catching the right mother in law, no matter whose mother it is.... because mothers can see through her brow bending, poetry reciting, coquetry acting, throat whining petty self..  

Smart women can see through all the acts of woman like molan, concubine lin or manniang.. But smart men are really blind or refused to acknowledge the truth. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

@frenchfan I do feel that ML has good feelings about QH too. She admires him to a certain extent I believe. That, and probably slightly infatuated too since she's really young and QH's showing so much affection. 

But at the same time, both ML and her granny know that it's simply not possible, or I guess more appropriately, not feasible. 

QH is too sheltered from his upbringing to truly understand ML and her suffering or injustice as an unfavoured concubine's daughter. He may feel that he knows, but sometimes we can never truly understand the pain until we have experienced it. 

And that's also why during the class debate he didn't make a stand when first asked. Because he was never in a situation where he had to fight, or not being favoured. 

It's a blessing, but also a curse. Like ML's grandma said, having a good life with perfect upbringing could result in the person being "blind and deaf", and that's why ML should always be alert. 

And I feel this is where GTY has the "advantage". He truly does understand ML because he's been there. 

It's like although they don't speak to each other, there's an implicit understanding between the 2. 

Of course, their "interaction" many years ago helped.

- From ML saying, without any hesitation, that it's great for 2nd uncle to be with 2nd brother because he (GTY) would be able to help, to

- GTY knows that ML is hiding a lot more than she's showing herself to be, and is probably laughing at them quietly, while they debate to wit's end (which she did in her final answer to the teacher that pretty much shut everyone else up and put the QH and GTY in a bind), to - his off comment that she has had a very hard life while watching her at the polo match.

-  the fall on her face when they asked GTY to play the polo game on behalf, as she already know how good he is at it even before anyone else said anything, and that didn't change even when GTY offered to play with his left hand. 

- and finally, GTY egging her on, and the confident look in his face that ML will play even if she plays alone, even if she stood lil chance, because he knows she will simply not give up until the end. 

I also really liked that GTY believes that ML is capable in handling a lot of things on her own, probably because he has seen her other side, her true side, albeit many years ago. 

Whether in his conversation with QH that she'll be able to handle the sisters and the debate, to him egging her on on both occasions during the debate and the polo game. 

I believe both QH and GTY love (Or will love) ML, in their own way. 

The difference though is that QH puts her on the pedestal, and try to protect her (probably to her, and his own detriment), while GTY seems to want to set ML free, to be who she really is. For he could see that beneath her calm and serene face, is probably a depressed and lonely person, suppressing herself, for some peace, and more importantly, for her survival. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I also really like how ML is playing "blind and deaf" all the while learning and knowing whats happening. 

Its telling that she's lying low. In the class with Momo, when Molan turned up and Rulan commented that concubine Lin prolly used some low tricks to get the daughter in there, it clearly shows that ML was listening, but she just turned her head and continues "sleeping". 

While her actions was "exposed" by Momo, ML has successfully fooled everyone else. Hence even when she has her own court and is now managing the finances of the house, both moms still think that she's merely a puppet for grandma! Which obviously lowers their guard against her. 

So while she's quiet, and playing "blind and deaf", the ones who are truly "blind and deaf" are those who are the loudest in the house. 

• Like 10

Hello! It feels like ages since I post in here.. 

let me just say how much I LOVE this drama, I already read a few translated chapters of the novel, and I loved it, but also how the drama creates its own life without making it cringeworthy for the novel readers like me

Tbh seeing the characters being played is very refreshing, but also frustrating. Like how I found the 5th sister to be more loveable but the Big Madam is so frustrating!

I am always on the GTYxML ship, the fact that Yingbao actually marrying FSF is like my ship already sailing even before it stars :bawling:

Also may I ask how many episodes will be aired each week?

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Hello! It feels like ages since I post in here.. 

let me just say how much I LOVE this drama, I already read a few translated chapters of the novel, and I loved it, but also how the drama creates its own life without making it cringeworthy for the novel readers like me

Tbh seeing the characters being played is very refreshing, but also frustrating. Like how I found the 5th sister to be more loveable but the Big Madam is so frustrating!

I am always on the GTYxML ship, the fact that Yingbao actually marrying FSF is like my ship already sailing even before it stars :bawling:

Also may I ask how many episodes will be aired each week?

The broadcasting timetable. 12 episodes perweek. Sunday-Thursday 2 episodes pernight. Friday-Saturday one episode only

c2098510ly1fyvk0rzmofj20ol1hcwli.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2