[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

52 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

Honestly, GTY is as good as a man can get in that society. Sure, he's not perfect right now and he's going to make mistakes since he's still young and naive (even now he is quite an upstanding and responsible man, he could have abandon the mistress to save his reputation and save himself from the burden, but he insists on protecting and taking care of her and the kids, so he's actually a really good person if you think about it that way). He's going to go through a lot, but after that he will turn into one of the most reliable and capable husbands in the story, and that is because he makes many mistakes that he can learn from. I'm not worry about everyone having SLS right now, because people will see how GTY grow into the man that is worthy and they will get why he's the one for Minglan and why Qi Heng is not. Isn't it how life is? We meet our actual spouse much later in life, not everyone marry their first love. 

About GTY has many women before ML, we have to understand that this is the time in which men are allow to have many women. Even ML herself does not believe in fairy tales and one true love and all that, she never expects her husband to be faithful to only her (she's lucky she gets the one who's willing to be faithful). Also, it's not like GTY is ML's first man, she might not marry anyone before him, but she did have other contenders that she likes/wants to marry before him. Let's just say that they both has some sort of past behind them and the marriage requires work and compromise on both sides. GTY allows ML to be his equal, that's quite impressive considering the society they live in, I think.

Plus, after reading the novel, my assessment of Qi Heng is that he's quite a wet blanket so I'm no where near that ship. I hope the drama makes him a better character so that I can at least feel bad for him a little.

I know these stories are not similar but i am getting some flashbacks to Yanxi ill spoiler it incase people not watched Yanxi yet.

Spoiler

Qi Heng reminds me of Fuheng based on what people are saying he obviously loved her but he gave her up and did not fight for while while GTY will fight for her , i find it similar because i just watched Yanxi. 

Im only on episode 5 so when i see more of GTY ill still like him i just wonder will QI Heng be friendly with ML through the story or will their relationship just break? 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This show is just so charming normally i would wait for the youtube to cover the Chinese sub's but couldn't want..

I would normally never like this show but something about it just makes me excited for next episode./ 

Really hope this show takes off in China its doing decently online but wish it did better live. 

6 hours ago, gleek49 said:

Also, is there anyone who is an absolute fan of Zhang Jianing's Rulan like me? She's so stinking cute! Even though she's a spoiled brat who's not very bright, but her animated many expressions keep me laughing every time she shows up :D I hope she has a lot of screen time.

Me! Me! Me! Especially when she said to her mom that she rather marry below her and live in comfort (able to voice her opinion and live care-freely) than marry above her to live in misery like her big sister. Although she is not wise but she does see clearly on that point and understand what she want and not pressure herself to satisfy or obey others. She is spoiled but not mean. Her character is quite straightforward and one of the few and rare one that does what she wants. I think I can classify her with QH in the same category because only son and daughter that are protected and sheltered can have thoughts of doing what they want and pursuing things like love and happiness. Most of the characters in this story are bonded by social status or trying to survive, only people like QH and RL are naive enough to think about marrying the person they like. RL said even if she doesn't have to learn much, she will still marry into a family as the main wife because of her status. As for QH, he doesn't really need to take the imperial examination since he will be assigned a noble title once the time comes. Yeah, so basically they have really nothing to worry about and have spare time to think about what they want and like. Unlike ML and GTY, where one is trying to survive and the other trying to break free. However, QH's mother is much more scarier and dominating for QH to even have a chance. The poor boy can't even stare at his mother directly when she gave off that "No, means No" vibe. It is adorable how he try to praise her (the most beautiful woman in this world lol) but unfortunately your mom see right through you. 

I know a lot of people feels a little off putting because GTY already have a mistress and children but after you adjust yourself to their time and not think about our modern society, it is not that big of a deal. At least, she is not going to be causing trouble like ML's family second concubine between our main couple. If anything, you can just treat her as the evil ex-wife in modern time. Also, if you compare him with some of the other guys like marrying for money and treating the woman like s*** GTY is quite a honorable man lol 

7 hours ago, gleek49 said:

Also, is there anyone who is an absolute fan of Zhang Jianing's Rulan like me? She's so stinking cute! Even though she's a spoiled brat who's not very bright, but her animated many expressions keep me laughing every time she shows up :D I hope she has a lot of screen time.

Your not alone:Dthe first time a saw her on ep 5 cuddling to her mothers arm:ojusr makes me smile.and also I have this feeling every time  I watch the sisters scenes that she's the youngest:grin:.yahh hoping to see more of them together..Minglan+Rulan:blush:

I'M only at ep 6 and I can already relate to this family drama..most specially the punishment part...I can picture myself as one of the sisters,thats how my father punish us also with my sisters when we are still kids using a rathan stick..that hursts a lot still rememember it.

3 hours ago, BreezeC said:

10 hours ago, gleek49 said:

Glad more people are a fan of her i find her so adorable and she add's good humour to the show , i also think she will be a kind character at least i hope and also a ally of ML . 

I am totally enjoying this so far.  Ruolan is a spoilt brat but she is harmless.  I like her.  So sweet. I like the way she bickered with the nasty 4th sister Molan.  That one was the exact copy of her mother who is a conniving richard simmons in this drama.  I really like Liying here and Qiheng is sweet although seems to be bound to his family and what his family wants.  I like FSF too as he seemed like the least spoilt among the other men (except one of Minglan's elder brother).  

The scene where they discuss 'inheritance' is the highlight of the latest episode for me. From the discussion, we can clearly see the difference in personality and perspective between the two male leads. QH's thoughts are too idealistic which shows that he is really sheltered. I just realized he is also the only child, oh boy, no wonder his mother will be so strict on him. His views are too restricted, following the rules type of personality. In contrast, GTY's thoughts are rebellious, even he said people should inherit based on talents and skills, which goes against the 'proper' way of this society. One is going with the flow and the other is going against the flow which would make GTY's life faced with a lot more hardship and challenge. And it would take a lot of determination to come out as the 'winner' at the end. 

To be completely honest, I think MingLan is too good for either guys. She is just so clear, wise, and intelligent. After I heard her analysis, my first thought was that if only she is a male, she would be a great asset to the kingdom and a great husband lol Unfortunately, she is not. Someone who can see the bigger picture and not hung up on small matter and self worthiness and gain, is truly a rare gem. B)

Spoiler

Based on ML sweet smile while she is sewing the extra knee pad, I am assuming that she does like QH. Their relationship right now is that high school crush type of liking and it is really sweet to watch. I am almost dead from the way QH promised with that soft tone of his after ML left the classroom. If I threw away the thought of them not meant to be, it is really sweet and enjoyable to watch them secretly crushing each other. As for most first love, it started out sweet but never really work out. Still I am enjoying it so far, hopefully, I won't be too heartbroken later on...:joy:

Been trying to stop myself from starting this until the series ends, just so that I wouldn't be caught off guard with the ending. A few trailers and Instagram pics later, I'm up to episode 7! 

Read everywhere that this is a slice of life kinda series hence was expecting a real slow start, but the next thing I know I was sobbing with mini ML and the mom. It truly sets the tone on why she would behave the way she does...so sad

I do wonder if ML really can't write properly or was it just all for show so that she appears a lil stupid/ docile. 

Also very interesting to see that she wouldn't even put on a fight when the dad wrongly accused her and RL for "shaming" the family as she knew that it wouldn't make a difference. Seems like she really is biding her time, staying low. 

And now I wait patiently every day for the subbed episodes to come out....:tears: slowly

4 hours ago, m0us3y said:

Been trying to stop myself from starting this until the series ends, just so that I wouldn't be caught off guard with the ending. A few trailers and Instagram pics later, I'm up to episode 7! 

Read everywhere that this is a slice of life kinda series hence was expecting a real slow start, but the next thing I know I was sobbing with mini ML and the mom. It truly sets the tone on why she would behave the way she does...so sad

I do wonder if ML really can't write properly or was it just all for show so that she appears a lil stupid/ docile. 

Also very interesting to see that she wouldn't even put on a fight when the dad wrongly accused her and RL for "shaming" the family as she knew that it wouldn't make a difference. Seems like she really is biding her time, staying low. 

And now I wait patiently every day for the subbed episodes to come out....:tears: slowly

I think she can write and is playing stupid. 

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

Yes, she is playing stupid.

Couldn't help smiling each time QH is trying to steal a glance at ML (remembering back in school days when trying to catch a glimpse of a crush:lol:)..I noticed QH's personal assistant is either trying to protect him from getting ML's attention or maybe with QH's mother had him basically spying and reporting back to her on his behavior or she had bid him to stop QH from falling for any of the Sheng 'underlings' ladies.

Btw, isn't he the actor who's under LiYing's studio who also played personal assistant to YX in PA?

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

I have the same feeling. 

But it's quite funny when her maid-in-waiting was saying she doesn't understand why ML seem to master everything with ease but writing, and then laugh at ML because she's been blaming the brush, ink, paper, everything but her skills when it comes to her writing skill! 

ML has certainly shown us viewers enough glimpses into her intelligence with the way she carries herself. Even when she makes small remarks, they always seem to mean more than just a passing remark...

Im going to really feel for QH its easy to predict what will happen his mother wont allow this to happen and would not surprise me if ML rejects QH marriage advances which im guessing will happen . Im sure eventually QH will accept what his mother say's and wont fight for ML which will be his biggest mistake and regret . Im really curious where this story will go with QH , will he protect ML even after shes married with GTY? Im most curious about that. 

QH was to much in love and did not realise the situation that you giving her love is basically dooming her and putting her in danger because , his parents would never allow her to marry him considering their backgrounds.

GTY instead will fight and want ML and protect her no matter what people say or do.

During these times people respect their family and mothers so much which is why i think QH would give up because of his family while GTY does not really have a mother and the father is useless so hes a natural rebel. 

Also in episode 6 i think its Mr's wu and 6th master not exactly sure who they are but im glad they were not arrogant like others in this era are when they were in the carriage. They dont care about Status but i hope he does not go for the snake. 

Can i also say i just hate ML dad what a useless and stupid man, i actually feel quite sorry for the main wife i dont think shes totally evil. 

2 hours ago, Wotad said:

She is highly intelligent.  Just that she has to pretend just so she won't get herself and her granny into trouble since 5th sister is born to legitimate main wife whereas Molan is born to the favourite (evil) concubine.  In Episode 10 granny explained to Momo (the court lady) who came to teach the girls how to be proficient in ladies tasks.   

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

Im going to really feel for QH its easy to predict what will happen his mother wont allow this to happen and would not surprise me if ML rejects QH marriage advances which im guessing will happen . Im sure eventually QH will accept what his mother say's and wont fight for ML which will be his biggest mistake and regret . Im really curious where this story will go with QH , will he protect ML even after shes married with GTY? Im most curious about that. 

QH was to much in love and did not realise the situation that you giving her love is basically dooming her and putting her in danger because , his parents would never allow her to marry him considering their backgrounds.

GTY instead will fight and want ML and protect her no matter what people say or do.

During these times people respect their family and mothers so much which is why i think QH would give up because of his family while GTY does not really have a mother and the father is useless so hes a natural rebel. 

Also in episode 6 i think its Mr's wu and 6th master not exactly sure who they are but im glad they were not arrogant like others in this era are when they were in the carriage. They dont care about Status but i hope he does not go for the snake. 

Can i also say i just hate ML dad what a useless and stupid man, i actually feel quite sorry for the main wife i dont think shes totally evil. 

I think the drama has made QH's feelings of ML very obvious from the start and from previews it seems ML is also feeling something for him. This is quite a big change from the book. ML in the book was actually an adult in a child's body....she knew how the society worked during those times. So she never even encouraged any thoughts about QH. But since the drama can't show transmigration due to censor rules....and for the story to make sense of why ML rejects QH they may show us ML facing some opposition from one person she doesn't want to be ashamed because of her, Granny,  to completely give up on QH.

Its ironic that QH has always been under restrictions due to his family status and he's never even tried to get free....ML will be his one desire of his entire life, his only rebellion. But sadly he won't fight hard enough for her....at least in the book he didn't.....but I think in the drama we may see QH putting up a fight and then forced to give up after ML gives up on him. 

While GTY, on the other hand has rebelled his entire life, going against his family in spite and taking in the conniving ex.....even so far as he almost ruined himself. ML will be the one to make him realize he was being played by his ex and thats when he starts to look at ML differently. And then soon after he lays to work this elaborate scheme to get ML to marry him.....ruthlessly manipulating people left and right. 

Finally about Sheng Hong, what concerns ML's dad most is his political position and his family's name. He'll forget all the love he has for Lin Niang or anyone else if they do anything that will bring shame to him and Sheng family name....for Lin niang countdown has already begun ever since she put her unrealistic aspirations in Molan's head to get QH and turned that girls head completely.

I feel pity for Da niang too. What she needs most is some guidance in controlling her anger and playing the generous main wife instead of the jealous shrew.....hopefully granny will step in soon.  

15 minutes ago, dito said:

https://www.viki.com/videos/1141388v-trailer-1

1:36 shows some spoiler's as to what might come

https://www.viki.com/videos/1141406v-trailer-2

Also at the end of this one.

Spoiler

he said he wont withdraw from the difficulty , he asks his parents to propose marriage as well. 

Someone also says the mountain wife knifes and sea of blood i shall go through them for you but that sounds like GTY, the ML says none of them dares take the stake only i dare to . Not sure who that is directed at. 

It looks like he would fight for her based on these but maybe she gives him up instead.

Story%2BOf%2BMinglan%2BCharacter.jpg

Just found this which is interesting. 

1 hour ago, dito said:

I think the drama has made QH's feelings of ML very obvious from the start and from previews it seems ML is also feeling something for him. This is quite a big change from the book. ML in the book was actually an adult in a child's body....she knew how the society worked during those times. So she never even encouraged any thoughts about QH. But since the drama can't show transmigration due to censor rules....and for the story to make sense of why ML rejects QH they may show us ML facing some opposition from one person she doesn't want to be ashamed because of her, Granny,  to completely give up on QH.

Its ironic that QH has always been under restrictions due to his family status and he's never even tried to get free....ML will be his one desire of his entire life, his only rebellion. But sadly he won't fight hard enough for her....at least in the book he didn't.....but I think in the drama we may see QH putting up a fight and then forced to give up after ML gives up on him. 

While GTY, on the other hand has rebelled his entire life, going against his family in spite and taking in the conniving ex.....even so far as he almost ruined himself. ML will be the one to make him realize he was being played by his ex and thats when he starts to look at ML differently. And then soon after he lays to work this elaborate scheme to get ML to marry him.....ruthlessly manipulating people left and right. 

Finally about Sheng Hong, what concerns ML's dad most is his political position and his family's name. He'll forget all the love he has for Lin Niang or anyone else if they do anything that will bring shame to him and Sheng family name....for Lin niang countdown has already begun ever since she put her unrealistic aspirations in Molan's head to get QH and turned that girls head completely.

I feel pity for Da niang too. What she needs most is some guidance in controlling her anger and playing the generous main wife instead of the jealous shrew.....hopefully granny will step in soon.  

I think based on the previews, GH makes an attempt but doesn’t really carry through. There is a major difference between GH and GTY in that GTY has his mother’s/maternal grandfather’s inheritance so can essentially be independent whereas GH relies solely upon his family status. Being the only legitimate male heir and having a princess mother, the most he can hope for to have ML is to make her a concubine and he feels too much for her to do that to her.

GTY’s status is both a blessing and curse because he stands in the way for his maternal “uncles” for the Salt fortune and stands in the way of the 3rd brother for the Marquis inheritance since his older brother is sickly with no male children. I can see how he will have the ability to make a name for himself and be a husband that’s faithful to his wife. All his experiences has shaped his character to be a protector as shown how he provides for his children despite society and family pressures. GH will always be too protected and restrained to gain the same experiences and fortitude. 

I too pity Da Niang since she is the way she is because of her husband, being the main wife with none of the authorities because of her husbands fears from his past. Sheng Hong was lucky Grandma Sheng adopted him after her son died. Grandma Sheng was in Da Niang’s shoes before, but unlike Da Niang who basically ignored ML and her mother, she protected Sheng Hong and his concubine mother as much as possible from the favored concubine in her generation. At least that’s what I interpreted from the scenes after ML’s mom died.  Now, she’s putting all her experiences and knowledge into raising ML to keep her from being a target as much as possible. Love ML’s smarts...it’s how she survives but will also be her asset that will make her thrive as the wife of a powerful noble. 

Archived