[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

40 minutes ago, leah8 said:

They are considered hits, I've read countless articles that they were hits, as the drama was airing and after it ended.  Just because the English sites say otherwise or doesn't cover it doesn't mean it wasn't a hit.  The Negotiator's average rating was 1.19.  A lot of the hits this year came from CCTV. 

I did read that this drama might air after Lu Yi's tribute drama, take that with a grain of salt.  They do have 40 episodes left so its a possibility.  They played their cards wrong airing RIse of The Phoenix because they were betting on that to cover their quota. 

I asked about what other dramas Daylight produced not Ciwen. 

Breaking 1% average is like the bare minimum. A hit is something that was talked about or had any sort of impact, which neither of them did tbh. The Negotiator did a bit better bc it had good online views but to me it feels like Mr. Right, which had better online views and TV ratings but no presence. For instance, this years biggest hit is Story of YanXi Palace and it was a webdrama but no one can argue that it wasn't huge since it is still generating buzz. At least, that is how I see it. Personally, I rather get a good drama over a successful and I haven't fully enjoyed anything this year. Maybe HSALF, but that one had huge problems. 

Oh Daylight I know. Their most recent ones Nirvana in Fire 1&2, Battle of Changsha, The Disguiser, Ode to Joy 1&2, When a Snail Falls in Love, Candle in the Tomb, Love me if you dare, Surgeons, etc. I know they have a lot of dramas that are a bit older than these that were very critically acclaimed but I don't know them by name. I personally only liked both Nirvanas, Battle of Changsha, and the first season of Ode to Joy. I tried to see all of the ones I mentioned. Some I dropped. Others I finished but I didnt like them much, I wouldnt say they were bad but just average to me. All Daylight dramas have really good cinematography just not all are my cup of tea. In fact, my main concern with Minglan is the director bc his previous works were not really up my alley. But I dont know how much of it was director versus script and at least they did have good cinematography. That is why I am putting so much hope on the screenwriters, who did a great job on Battle of Changsha. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

Breaking 1% average is like the bare minimum. A hit is something that was talked about or had any sort of impact, which neither of them did tbh. The Negotiator did a bit better bc it had good online views but to me it feels like Mr. Right, which had better online views and TV ratings but no presence. For instance, this years biggest hit is Story of YanXi Palace and it was a webdrama but no one can argue that it wasn't huge since it is still generating buzz. At least, that is how I see it. Personally, I rather get a good drama over a successful and I haven't fully enjoyed anything this year. Maybe HSALF, but that one had huge problems.

Perhaps your standards are held too high on what is considered a hit.  Breaking 1 is a huge deal, because every time a drama breaks 1, I see its made into a big deal, so I dont know where you're getting "bare minimum" from.  

From Hunan's and critics point of view, Negotiator's was a hit.  Its not so much the numbers but how it fared against the competition.  I saw real time data of the ratings as the drama aired, so I can verify the reports that the media, critics were not delusional or biased claiming it was a hit.  It was a huge hit online but with online its always hard to verify how true those numbers are when fans play a big role into playing and replaying episodes.  It was averaging 300 mil views a day, Negotiators was number 1 drama topic on weibo on most days. That's not an impact?  It was a hit but the feedback wasn't good, but those are two entirely different subjects.   

Mr Love had double broadcasting, the average ratings were 1.56 and 1.02. 

Thanks for the list of dramas by Daylight, I can see where you're coming from.  My expectations for Minglan are even higher now. 

For Daylight, you listed most of them, except for Two Family from Wenzhou, which I'm not sure if it even have subs. Daylight is a very new company from 2015, and they tend to produce very different dramas, they seem to dip their toes in very different markets. The other ones are under Shandong TV (Shanying) which is government owned. They produce quality but very down to earth and rural-y (or war-y) dramas. I only know All Quiet in Peking is on youtube, I think it was on netflix at some point but has been taken down. Romance of Our parents was on netflix too but probably not on youtube? I only know other series' Chinese names.

1% is considered hits, but not Hunan expected level hits since it's a low 1%. When Mother's life JUST broke 2, saying 1% isn't a hit is bit harsh. 52 city January ~ Oct 7th 19:30 ~ 24:00 ratings, Negotiator is sitting at 15, Oldboy is sitting at 22. That first one is Kite then Mr. Love and Kite again, and Mother's life is 1.3 sitting at 8 in here. (Does the image work?!)

Spoiler

640?wx_fmt=png

a hit is doing 1% lol its not the bare minimum. 

The Negotiator was a hit as well had good online views and decent tv rating's with 1.6% average 

4 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

@leah8

The Negotiators and Old Boy managed to scrap by rating wise. They are not really considered hits. Hunan is having a bad year by their standards. They usually have much higher ratings that other networks. Just look at their ratings last year.

To be fair, it is a low ratings year overall but other networks are doing much better so it does feel like overall Hunan is having a bad year.

I dont keep track of Ciwen dramas bc they are a trash company. Only saw those two dramas and made me want to curse them forever. 

I doubt Hunan will not air a historical drama this year, they have like 40 historical prime time episodes left for the year and I dont see them just throwing that away. They have a few historical dramas in their arsenal that they could air if they decide against MingLan. 

Pros to airing Minglan right now FSF and ZLY wedding will get extra hype for it.

Cons another highly expected Daylight drama will air in December with Wang Kai. It feels to me like it would have the support of the government due to its story.

Another con is that OGT with ZLY will air in November and run into December so people could not be as excited to see ZLY again. 

For those two things, I could see Hunan pushing it back for a better time.

Scap by ? The Negotiator had 1.6% average and good online views it was a hit. 

12 minutes ago, Wotad said:

a hit is doing 1% lol its not the bare minimum. 

The Negotiator was a hit as well had good online views and decent tv rating's with 1.6% average 

Scap by ? The Negotiator had 1.6% average and good online views it was a hit.

Negotiators average was 1.19, not 1.6.  But at 1.19 its still considered a hit

32 minutes ago, Wotad said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negotiator_(TV_series)#Ratings

I think Nationwide is a bit more reliable. 

CSM 52 is the more significant one.  When you read about ratings, they will always mention the ratings from CSM 52 not nationwide. That list posted by Skippies is the average ratings for the top 30 dramas so far this year, again they used the averages from CSM 52.  Skippies used the primary source for ratings, so their numbers are reliable.  Negotiators is number 15 at 1.19.  Wiki's averages you linked me to are inaccurate reporting the csm 52 average at 1.13 so either they did the math wrong or they used inaccurate numbers posted by an english site.  I know an English site that post up ratings on a weekly basis and they would have used the same source as Skippies, and more than a dozen times Ive caught inaccuracies in their ratings and vlinkage reporting when they translate the info into english 

Hunan TV usually do better in nationwide because it has one of the widest coverage. Other regional TV station (so excluding CCTV) doesn't necessary have such broad coverage. I think rural areas are also weighted more relatively for nationwide and Beijing + Shanghai are weighted more in CSM52, I'm not super clear on it though since I haven't looked too closely. CSM 52 is referenced the most because that covers most of the urban population, and they represent the most purchasing power (ratings is used primarily for ads after all). Supposingly CSM 52 is also more likely to be manipulated, so ratings are kind of messy. 

[20 October 2018] #待播剧景气指数#

TOP10 DataWin
#1 The Story of Minglan

44544445_2100768919954941_83861122116841

Datawin Interpretation:

Recently, Zhao Liying and Feng Shaofeng Weibo "Guanxuan" married, detonated the whole network, and successively screened various entertainment headlines for many days, becoming the 2018 TOP-level entertainment event.
After a few days of fermentation, the spread of media and social forum discussions spread, and the two people starred in the drama "The Story of Minglan", the prosperity index soared to the top of the list, the public The expectations of the drama soared, and even netizens in the forum and the social platform called for the hope that Hunan Satellite TV would start broadcasting as soon as possible.
The "The Story of Minglan" is also in line with the article published by Detawen recently. Zhao Liying Feng Shaofeng is married, and the public is predicting the curiosity and expectation of the couple's performance in the gorgeous end of the Huadan era.

cr share/translate : zlyfb

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I was hoping for this....Thank God for Viki...we'll get proper subs.

So December airing date is not confirmed?

I have no idea why I'm so excited for this drama when I didn't even like the book that much...It was ok. I like the teasers though....I like the tone and the colors they've used....

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jewelsc said:

Looks like the air date has been set..12.12.2018? I thought i saw somewhere it was gonna be on 24.12.2018.

That's a Tianmao/taobao shop that's doing collab with the drama's opening date. Hunan TV's primetime slot just started a new drama 3 days ago and should finish in a month time (or like 29th or smth). I think the best slot would be Feburary when Chinese New Years hits. but January isn't too bad either, it's just bunch of people might not be bothered to catch up on 40 episodes but eh.

Thanks for that piece of information but may i ask which drama is that?  Sorry, just too many dramas out and can't keep track as to which dramas r showing where :), guess i'm just keeping tracks of the ones i'm only interested in like this one :D.  I suppose that drama could possibly 'round up' in time for Minglan to show by the 24th of this month? 

Archived