[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jxs86 said:

I don't think ml slept soundly. She was tossing a bit but I watched the episode raw and do not know a lick of language so I was reading the acting.

Where did you watch the episode and which episode was it?? 

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole concubine thing. As long as he doesn't give her the time of day, I can be at peace with it...but I generally find it quite hard to watch when things like this happen.

2 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Gty tried to make ml jealous, alas his plan backfired. Ml left him with his concubine and seek her bed alone and sleep soundly.. :lol:

I no longer find how he tried to make ML jealous cute no more. At this point he's already hurted too much that's not even cute to see him try anymore. Sigh..

While I do think he is right at getting mad and he needs to put his frustration on the table, I can’t blame ml.  She behaves the way she was taught and thinks it’s right according to her times and situation. Gty wants a modern wedding with equality, fidelity and romantic feelings, but it’s strange for the times. 

I also think gty can afford his feelings and need for love, her basic need has always been safety since she was a child seeing her mother die. 

That being said I want him mad.

Most of you are thinking GTY loves her a lot. Why Milan cannot understand? Which ever period it maybe, whether it is 21st Century or that period, as a wife, how can you love 100% to a husband who already had 2 children and loves them a lot. There is a saying, if a man loves a children that means, he still loves the mother of those children. 

After Minlan married him, she has a very hard time mentally. A lot of burden on her shoulder while she is still very young. Concubines, daughter and son from another woman, snobbish relatives, unwanted servants etc. in reality love alone cannot survive. 

3 hours ago, matrim said:

A lot of characters in the drama have been greatly changed compared with the novel, both in personality and plot line. While I understand the changes, added interactions etc are mainly for greater drama effect, but I don't quite like the exaggeration of some characters, their arcs feel forced and unnatural. Take QH's wife for example, in the novel she also feels jealousy and attempts to hurt ML's feelings but all done in a subtler way, under the disguise of a elegant lady. In the drama she spread the rumor to GTY's aunt, implying ML played tricks in marrying GTY. At that time, woman's reputation was everything, rumors like that could cause husband to divorce his wife. With a bad reputation a woman could hardly marry again, thus her life ruined. It's really not something one could talk so casually. Drama Shen Shi (QH's wife) was then turned into a more spiteful, richard simmons character.

Drama Shen Shi did ONE bad thing to ML, and we've never seen her said or do remotely anything (good or bad) to ML ever since, it wasn't really far off from her novel self. Plus, it's been revealed in the most recent ep, when Shen Shi was talking to ML, it seems like she has been hearing bad things about ML from Molan, so it means that Shen Shi has been seeing ML in a bad light (rumors with QH and rumors orchestrated by GTY's stepmother definitely did not help), she probably didn't see that ONE bad thing she did was spiteful. Plus, in that conversation, it seemed like ML(bless her) was able to make peace with her, so she isn't entirely unreasonable, a lot more mature than her own husband.

1 hour ago, Amy Joy Hendricks said:

Where did you watch the episode and which episode was it?? 

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole concubine thing. As long as he doesn't give her the time of day, I can be at peace with it...but I generally find it quite hard to watch when things like this happen.

I found it on Dramafever.live. It was ep 52. He doesn't give her the time of day but the episode ends to me at a good part!!!!!!!!!!!! 

25 minutes ago, callshu said:

There is a saying, if a man loves a children that means, he still loves the mother of those children. 

I'm sorry but I really hate that saying cause it basically also says that a man will stop loving his own children if he stops loving their mother. This is very unjust and insulting to fathers. 

aaaaaaa so much popcorn in today's eps!!!!

Love that slap to Manniang's face, f her. So sad that Changer is confirmed to be dead though, was still expecting some elaborate scheming on part of Manniang that they had to outsmart to find him tbh. But at least mistress meanie is out the equation now. Also ML bringing out the truth in front of Molan's husband hahaha Molan rekt. Died when GTY came to rescue ML from her father's slap and asserted dominance loooooool and seeing grandma be relieved that someone else has ML's back was sweet.

Love love love the interactions between Shitou and Xiaotao, makes me wonder how they're going to react or help when their respective masters are having that big fight!

Also lol @ the GTY concubine part... idk what he was expecting but rip misunderstandings from things not going to plan :sweatingbullets:

5 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Yes!! THE FIGHT is here people. 1.01 - 1.23....and 4.17 - 4.41...they changed the venue though.

ML tells him she just told QH to not keep hatred in his heart...she didn't go out of limits or something.

GTY says ....I know....I saw with my own eyes you didn't cross the limit??

Then ML says ....Then why are you still angry?

GTY replies ....You told Yuan Ruo to cherish the people next to him. But what about you? Have you ever cherished me? You gave me a concubine. what do you mean by doing that? 

Seems GTY is so upset he goes camping with shitou....and I assume is waiting for ML to come pacify him but CB comes instead and tells him if he doesn't like anything he needs to talk face to face with ML and clear everything. Then they kept talking in idioms or something...a lot of "left and right" were used. 

Next part is the one where hes drunk and ML is in the forest with him and he keeps asking her if she hates him again and again. And saying she must hate him coz he pushed her to marry him. And that he's afraid of her actually hating him.

I think Part 1 and part 2 of the fight and heart to heart are coming next week. Coz we have been introduced to the story track that brings about the part 2. The general who is challenging ML and GTY to a polo match. I think he's the same general whose beloved wife died saving the empress. He was unhappy when he soon got bestowed a wife by the new emperor. His life is about to get messy...

Also Danju is getting married...

25 minutes ago, selen4ever said:

I'm sorry but I really hate that saying cause it basically also says that a man will stop loving his own children if he stops loving their mother. This is very unjust and insulting to fathers. 

I agree with you. clap-cheetah-emoticon.gif @selen4ever. This kind of saying is what ruins or prevent relationships to mature. The issue is on the man and his maturity. There are a lot of men who HATE THEIR BABY MOTHER BUT LOVE THEIR CHILDREN.  A man who doesn’t love their children is because he is dumb and immature. 

56 minutes ago, dito said:

Yes!! THE FIGHT is here people. 1.01 - 1.23....and 4.17 - 4.41...they changed the venue though.

ML tells him she just told QH to not keep hatred in his heart...she didn't go out of limits or something.

GTY says ....I know....I saw with my own eyes you didn't cross the limit??

Then ML says ....Then why are you still angry?

GTY replies ....You told Yuan Ruo to cherish the people next to him. But what about you? Have you ever cherished me? You gave me a concubine. what do you mean by doing that? 

Seems GTY is so upset he goes camping with shitou....and I assume is waiting for ML to come pacify him but CB comes instead and tells him if he doesn't like anything he needs to talk face to face with ML and clear everything. Then they kept talking in idioms or something...a lot of "left and right" were used. 

Next part is the one where hes drunk and ML is in the forest with him and he keeps asking her if she hates him again and again. And saying she must hate him coz he pushed her to marry him. And that he's afraid of her actually hating him.

I think Part 1 and part 2 of the fight and heart to heart are coming next week. Coz we have been introduced to the story track that brings about the part 2. The general who is challenging ML and GTY to a polo match. I think he's the same general whose beloved wife died saving the empress. He was unhappy when he soon got bestowed a wife by the new emperor. His life is about to get messy...

Also Danju is getting married...

I felt like that's what it was, whaaaaaaat Danju! Don't go, Don't cry don't cry

This preview has an longer fight scene. It continues from here...

ML I did that for you. Your aunt and the one next door are determined to send them in. If I didn't accept now they would have pressured you. Both of them will not give up until we get one of the concubines in. 

GTY: You didn't do it for me. You did it for your Guan Ren, Your HouYe.

ML: But isn't that you.....my Guanren and Houye

GTY: I'm also your Er Lang and your Zhong Huai

ML: Yes you are also Er Lang and Zhong Huai....so?

OMG this girl is really dense....this guy has every right to be angry.

Anyone who understands Chinese please feel free to correct me......there was a lot I couldn't understand....and also my phone was on last 5% so I was in a rush to translate.

10 hours ago, m0us3y said:

Suppressing her feelings. All to hide her pain within. 

The things she was forced/forced herself to do to survive well in the family. 

It's not that hard to see why it's so difficult for her to open up...so disinclined to express her feelings

Sorry for cutting your post:)

I'm going to paraphrase something ML says to GTY in the book....I'm paraphrasing google translation so I'm pretty sure its not accurate....but still it gives a hint of ML's thoughts. The drama may change these lines as ML already had a first love in the drama.

Spoiler

This world is different for men and women. Men don't have to pay a price for falling in love, only women do.  You ran around doing ridiculous things for ten years then you came back with fame and were welcomed like a prodigal son. If I had taken one wrong step, my life would be ruined.

My childhood memories are of drowning in fear and worry about my future. It was due to granny's care and pity for me that I'm here today. 

Its already too late for me. Those kind of feelings between men and women, to fall in love....a shu daughter like me can't afford such a luxury. I'm someone without a heart. I'm sorry I can't help you to like me.

16 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

@dito Wow, i have no words...

I was literally cheering when he lost it and threw his hat at her:joy:

47 minutes ago, dito said:

ML I did that for you. Your aunt and the one next door are determined to send them in. If I didn't accept now they would have pressured you. Both of them will not give up until we get one of the concubines in. 

Anyone who understands Chinese please feel free to correct me......there was a lot I couldn't understand....and also my phone was on last 5% so I was in a rush to translate.

Wow your phone was on 5 precent and u can write and translate this much. Thats mvp. I appreciate for your translation.

What do he mean when he say HouYe and Guan Ren? Those 2 words means?

49 minutes ago, dito said:

Wow.. ML is so dumb about the matters of the heart.. Before I thought she was just pretending or maybe deceiving herself.. But she is really dumb about all these love things.. Omg i really wish someone gives her a one on one lesson about love and marriage.. Truly she is seeing these as official thing about duty, ML ah ML let's be more vast.. I think this is actually past the Era, it's more of ML not knowing what her husband wants or what she wants.. 

24 minutes ago, dito said:

I'm going to paraphrase something ML says to GTY in the book....I'm paraphrasing google translation so I'm pretty sure its not accurate....but still it gives a hint of ML's thoughts. The drama may change these lines as ML already had a first love in the drama.

Reveal hidden contents

This world is different for men and women. Men don't have to pay a price for falling in love, only women do.  You ran around doing ridiculous things for ten years then you came back with fame and were welcomed like a prodigal son. If I had taken one wrong step, my life would be ruined.

My childhood memories are of drowning in fear and worry about my future. It was due to granny's care and pity for me that I'm here today. 

Its already too late for me. Those kind of feelings between men and women, to fall in love....a shu daughter like me can't afford such a luxury. I'm someone without a heart. I'm sorry I can't help you to like me.

For me this problem has gotten way past the difference between men and women of that Era, it has gotten way past what her resolutions to life is, it has gotten way past what the world thinks, the problem is about the happiness of their family.. The husband she is trying hard to be a dutiful woman has told her what he wants, the house she is trying to make peace for is now on the verge of being in disorder, no man can be trusted, yes, but no one lives their life guarding against the one  man that is legally yours, anything can happen in the future, yes, but no one forgets about the joy of the present.. And all this is true and even though, the Era dictates these things as legal, this man has shown you time without number that unless there is an 100 percent reason for that, he will stand by you.. For me I do not need to love him back 100 percent but I still will love him as much as do myself.. ML needs to learn and let go of her discord with her heart.. It's that Era as an excuse is surely not the best way to go, the problem is ML's heart and supposed survival stints. Not the Era, not what the future brings, not if a man's love will change, these are not the problems.. The problem is what she has kept at her brain 

5 minutes ago, bulubulu said:

Wow your phone was on 5 precent and u can write and translate this much. Thats mvp. I appreciate for your translation.

What do he mean when he say HouYe and Guan Ren? Those 2 words means?

It's like an official terms for husband.. It's more like a distance term and not like an intimate one like Erlang.. It's more like addressing your boss

Spoiler
54 minutes ago, dito said:

I could be the odd ball here. But I actually found the translation funny (haven't watched the extended preview). 

So while we were thinking of this and that, she's actually just THAT dense about love?? :lol:

32 minutes ago, dito said:

Hide contents

Actually, didn't they have that conversation already? Not the last bit of having no heart. But the fact that no matter what men do, they can always make a comeback. Women, on the other hand, never had that luxury. Their reputation is pretty much everything, their world confined...

Archived