[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

29 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

I wouldn’t translate what GTY said being drunk in the trailer after he seen ML talking with QH as “why don’t you take me seriously” since there are more words before he said that sentence.

I would translate what he said as, “I just want you to pity/like/ love me. Why don’t you understand me. Why don’t you understand me”...then he said “I marry you...”, interrupted by Shitou. 

Oh, thanks for the clarification, I don't speak Chinese so I only take it from someone in the thread.

Still, I hope it's about their relationship and not about a third person, so things can move faster :lol:

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, darkphoenix123 said:

I am watching episode 49 & QH told his wife that the emperor is mad just at GTY when she talked about GTY & his wife. Is that his final goal? Getting GTY out of the way & then what does he expect to happen? ML to come back to him? He is married for heavens sake & so is she! In that trailer that was posted he was shouting that he is full of regret & then he grabbed ML by the arms. He hasn’t grown up at all! I don’t expect him not to be full of regret but you don’t go & say that to a married woman, grab her arms & deliberately try to get her husband in trouble!

I guess he is trying to take a leaf out of GTY's book of scheming.He wants GTY to loose everything including ML.

He might be still thinking ML was forced to marry GTY because there was no way out for her family.He hope's to set her free from this predicament.He might not have thought beyond this.

Hopefully ML will be able to drill some sense into QH.She no longer has to act the demure damsel thanks to GTY's encouragement of showing her true self.

3 hours ago, zenya22 said:

But does eldest bro know that he was lied to and the truth told that his mother was not killed by GTY's mom? This what I am getting at and I did say that he knows all the atrocities done by stepmom and her ambition to have her son be the heir but does the older brother know the truth about the lie told to him, that made him resentful to his young bro GTY? that GTY's mom killed his mom does he know the truth, that is a lie? GTY also wanted that truth be known so there will be no lies between them. That was what GTY begged his father kneeling and asking for his father to tell the truth about his mother. So, was the truth told to both brothers? 

@zenya22  From my understanding he dis figure it out.. He knew it was Evil step mom doing.. I'm suprised that he has been faking his sickness all this time to only find out he's really sick and dying.. I think he came clean because he ay have realized that step mom not only poisioned his mind but his body to.. So to get baxk at the lady that caused so much harn to he ad second brother is to give second brother not only whats rightfully his but that if which the witch kept having ill intent for whats not theres or her son in the first place..

I couldn't believe my ears when first brotrher said that 115 thousand dollars is to be returned to GTY from his mothers dowry..:o The fourth Uncle said don't misunderstand we was just trying to help you manage your money.. (Unbelieveable) GTY didn't misunderstand he understood all to well there was a suprising look not only on his face but ML to.. ML had the look like these crooks.. They come and try to run my life as well as my husbands stilliving off his oms oney that they don't want to return and demanding that he save they wretched no good for nothing kids.. 

I say at this point GTY should split up the houses give them what they should have and let them fend for themselves that includes step mom.. She wants her son to inherit a title let him get out and make one for himself..    The main house fourth and fifth house has been living high off the hog far to long including they wives..Make them become self sufficient.. 

Step mom isn't going to stop not until they all are dead.. My guess is after ML child was born she knew inheriting the noble title for her son and his kids was out the question so yes I could see her and son trying to burn it all if she couldn't get it all.. I see why her son died it was her Karma for using others for her own personal gain.. 

6 hours ago, bulubulu said:

Talking about MN. I saw some people saying that they thought they were done with her in that drama but now shes in this too. I just think its funny hahah. She's a great actress, hope in the future she'll play a innocent role so people will like her :)

That was probably me haha, I watched Legend of Dugu prior to this show. She was the most annoying richard simmons ever and it seems all the villain character she plays are detestable. LMAO I don’t hate her as an actress, in fact she does her part well. But I never really hate on an antagonist that much because I just go with the flow and find it interesting to see how they will get their downfall or the main will triumph from their schemes. But she was the last person to die in that show and peacefully at that. So I was triggered when I saw her playing as MN LMAO. 

In this show though I don’t mind to watch her character so no FFs but MN still annoyingly crazy. 

Good thing from this show is although there is a lot of villains at least we get a breather from each character and there is no one big bad guy from start to finish that you start to pull your hair out and scream kill them off already. :cry:

1 minute ago, cherubstomato said:

That was probably me haha, I watched Legend of Dugu prior to this show. She was the most annoying richard simmons ever and it seems all the villain character she plays are detestable. LMAO I don’t hate her as an actress, in fact she does her part well. But I never really hate on an antagonist that much because I just go with the flow and find it interesting to see how they will get their downfall or the main will triumph from their schemes. But she was the last person to die in that show and peacefully at that. So I was triggered when I saw her playing as MN LMAO. 

In this show though I don’t mind to watch her character so no FFs but MN still annoyingly crazy. 

Good thing from this show is although there is a lot of villains at least we get a breather from each character and there is no one big bad guy from start to finish that you start to pull your hair out and scream kill them off already. :cry:

Haha, I had the same reaction when I saw MN on this show. I was like Oh No, not her again!  The actress is just sooo good at making the audience hate her! Hehe

Also agree with you that it's good she isn't a major character in Minglan cuz I got so sick and tired of her and her constant scheming in Legend of Dugu.  I had to fast forward all her scenes for half the drama.

1 hour ago, Lunkera said:

It's episode 48(director's cut) that he and GTY talk before he dies. He says also to his wife and daughter on his deathbed to never trust big madam and the rest of the family. Only to trust GTY and Minglan and not get involved in conflict more or less.

@Lunkera  I liked when told her no matter under any circumstances not to get involved with Big Mdm and Lil Mdm and never ever adopt it was to only to control her.. Specially liked when he gave explanation to mom with the child there most parents on there dying bed reveal things that most try and hide.. Glad he had his daughter to listen if not later in life she and mom could be easly fooled just like him.. 

2 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I also agree somewhat in regards to QH if he was just doing his job there would be no issues but its painfully obvious for everyone to see hes emotional and clearly going against GTY but i just dont get what he think's doing this will do . He wants ML to be happy but doing this against GTY will harm ML. He is indirectly a pawn for ED against QH and sure we dont know everything but hes really not that stupid to not know that hes clearly going against GTY and hes fine with that.

@ForgottenSoulx  Clearly QH thinks that GTY is the main reason that he and ML never got back together..  As of now he still hasn't even consider his own actions.. Even meeting her privately shows just what he thinks and nor care about what others will think towards her for them being seen privately.. Ok we get he could careless about wht his wife thinks when it comes to ML but geeze he should also think of her reputation which he never has..

It took me 3 days to marathon MTL-ing the novel to see where to plot in the drama would fit in, but instead I got enlightened of how the changes in the drama actually makes the characters and plot more alive

Spoiler

I can see now why GTY feels insecure with ML, she basically treats her marriage as a job. She only needs to be virtuous, do as what her husband wants, avoid conflict and live a peaceful life. No reason for personal feeling to interfere, as it will muddled her mind and disappoint her if someday she fell out of favor

I like that I still get the essence of the novel while being surprised by the drama. As much as I love TMOPB, no element of surprise, except the filler characters subplot. And I adore the drama and novel. But with ML, it wont work, because the drama relies heavily on dialogues and social conduct of that era

I think the 2nd rebellion will happen after GTY’s dismissal, as you can see maybe his punishment will be to serve in the army from the bottom again. 

Anticipating the drama daily is really bad for my health :sweatingbullets: I think I’m gonna wait for 3 subbed episodes at least, before watching them 

@ForgottenSoulx I didn't try to analyze if they are good or not, cuz they are clearly not good people, so you can't use the morally correct standard to judge them. I'm trying to analyze if they are acceptable or not and I based it on whether they have broken the rules, breached the law or committed a crime in the context of that era, which they have not. For example if someone is in danger, a good person will save them, but if he doesn't, that's not considered a crime. That's why I said I watched with neutral eyes, while you think people have to do what's right, otherwise they are bad.

Take SH for instance. SH is not police, he is not the symbol of justice. He may have suspected that ML's mother was murdered but decided not to investigate. He wasn't morally correct, however he did not breach the law. In the drama, we have seen many maids ordered to be beaten to death but no one seek justice for them, bc they were just lowly women. To SH, Weiniang's status may be higher than a maid only a little bit. After all a concubine's life basically belong to the house head. From SH's POV, Weiniang was just not worth it. The drama make a fuss about her cuz she was ML's mother, if she was just some no-name concubine then this was no big deal at all. It is ML's duty to avenge her mother, not SH's. Daniang is still in charge of the house. He just gave Linniang more power than a concubine should have. He's the head of the household, he can promote anyone he favors. 

GTY's brother is the same. Is he a good guy? Absolutely not. And he has already known for a while that stepmom tricked him, he's still jealous of GTY. Did he attempt to commit a crime? Also no, all he has done is framing GTY of some misdemeanor not even worth prosecuted. So is the stepmom. The whole pampering so that he become arrogant thing is not wrong. She isn't his mother, she has no obligations to raise him well or worry about his reputation and future. It's his dad's job (this I blame his dad). In fact it's a social norm for a main wife to do that to her husband's other children in that era. So that action alone is within the acceptable zone. However her other evil deeds are not.

Oh yeah and QH absolutely hates GTY, and he doesn't need the rights to hate, it's his inner feeling and he can hate as much as he wants (I kinda like him that way, more humane, with hatred and jealousy) and he can despise, detest GTY as much as he wants. It's his personal problem. However, he does not try to get back at GTY, and does not intentionally use his job against GTY. So what if he still holds grudges and regrets? I have no problems with him being emotionally unstable. He's married, he respects his wife and he is not aiming to get her back.

People are good when they do what's right, but they are still acceptable if they only barely abide by the law.

58 minutes ago, deslynn88 said:

I'm not sure if they meant for this to be a serious moment but I couldn't help laughing. I can't take him seriously when he does this sort of thing and even ML looked like she was half laughing. :P

I was kinda like that too but i just quietly smile because he looks and sounds cute doing that to ML but i also feel sad for him too. Mixture of aw thats cute and aw poor my gty. Ikr i noticed ML was half laughing too. They should show us bts of that scene.

22 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

@ForgottenSoulx I didn't try to analyze if they are good or not, cuz they are clearly not good people, so you can't use the morally correct standard to judge them. I'm trying to analyze if they are acceptable or not and I based it on whether they have broken the rules, breached the law or committed a crime in the context of that era, which they have not. For example if someone is in danger, a good person will save them, but if he doesn't, that's not considered a crime. That's why I said I watched with neutral eyes, while you think people have to do what's right, otherwise they are bad.

Take SH for instance. SH is not police, he is not the symbol of justice. He may have suspected that ML's mother was murdered but decided not to investigate. He wasn't morally correct, however he did not breach the law. In the drama, we have seen many maids ordered to be beaten to death but no one seek justice for them, bc they were just lowly women. To SH, Weiniang's status may be higher than a maid only a little bit. After all a concubine's life basically belong to the house head. From SH's POV, Weiniang was just not worth it. The drama make a fuss about her cuz she was ML's mother, if she was just some no-name concubine then this was no big deal at all. It is ML's duty to avenge her mother, not SH's. Daniang is still in charge of the house. He just gave Linniang more power than a concubine should have. He's the head of the household, he can promote anyone he favors. 

GTY's brother is the same. Is he a good guy? Absolutely not. And he has already known for a while that stepmom tricked him, he's still jealous of GTY. Did he attempt to commit a crime? Also no, all he has done is framing GTY of some misdemeanor not even worth prosecuted. So is the stepmom. The whole pampering so that he become arrogant thing is not wrong. She isn't his mother, she has no obligations to raise him well or worry about his reputation and future. It's his dad's job (this I blame his dad). In fact it's a social norm for a main wife to do that to her husband's other children in that era. So that action alone is within the acceptable zone. However her other evil deeds are not.

Oh yeah and QH absolutely hates GTY, and he doesn't need the rights to hate, it's his inner feeling and he can hate as much as he wants (I kinda like him that way, more humane, with hatred and jealousy) and he can despise, detest GTY as much as he wants. It's his personal problem. However, he does not try to get back at GTY, and does not intentionally use his job against GTY. So what if he still holds grudges and regrets? I have no problems with him being emotionally unstable. He's married, he respects his wife and he is not aiming to get her back.

People are good when they do what's right, but they are still acceptable if they only barely abide by the law.

I think judging if they are acceptable or not based on if they broke rules/law is rather stupid honestly. Who cares if they broke the law or not what they did was still wrong and evil.

No character on this show has really broken the law yet does that mean everything they did was acceptable, also this is entirely the issue with SH if he saw ML's mum as not worth it then hes scum and a bad person i dont care what it was like back then. 

Ok so sure Daniang was still in charge of the house but was she really , if a concubine is getting more favour people would disrespect and look down on Daniang more. We saw this at the start of the drama where Daniang was suffering quite a lot due to Linniang.

I agree with GTY's brother hes most likely the most neutral i think stuff he did was just because he was brainwashed and did not really know what happened.  SH's step mum did not raise him to be arrogant she raised him with love and made GTY believe he had someone in that house he could rely on and that he was not totally alone but instead she was scheming and ruining his name,accusing him of rape. How can you blame the dad when the step mother was basically brainwashing the dad by saying what GTY has "done" when in reality he did not. Step mum was totally to blame why GTY and his dad has such a bad relationship , nothing she done is acceptable and is evil. 

Also you blame the dad when it was SH's mother who caused the issues with GTY and the dad.. 

On one hand you say QH has a grudge against GTY but then say he does not use his job against QH.. im sorry but that is just not believable at all. Also not aiming to get her back yet meet's her in secret and try's to touch her. I also dont think he really respect's his wife at all. 

Law has nothing to really do with this discussion you can be a evil person and malicious even if you stay in the law. 

49 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

What do you mean by no FF's? 

On 1/22/2019 at 1:17 PM, leeza77 said:

Importing this from the other thread, fsf mentioned he cried watching yingbao’s acting speech in front of the emperor (please do correct me if I’m wrong, I just google translate it). So... probably ML pleading for GTY’s freedom?

Upperclass folks love regarding lower status people as nuisance but in truth, without prestige & title, they're pretty much chopping blocks. QH's mother should have explained the situation to QH earlier. I'm surprised it took her so long to mention this ordeal to him? And his mother had Buwei beaten to death?! Now they are in a rut.<_< 

Just finished Ep. 28, & it was really good. It really sets the difference between TY & QH. If QH had been more adamant telling his mom about ML early on before the horse game match, maybe ML couldve been a marriage prospect, but QH was too afraid to get his feet wet. Now he can't do a thing about it.

The scene w/ ML & TY is great. I love the conversation between ML & TY about time & moving forward. ML mentioning they were both lovesick nitwits is funny. The way TY attentively looks at her & reassures her wellbeing fills me w/ glee. Their conversation holds alot of weight/meaning in comparison to QH&ML, which I find super cut & dry. I like that TY knows to keeps his distance around ML so nothing tarnishes the Sheng family & to uphold ML's dignity.

TY may be an outcast with no title to his name, but at least he's competent & have life skills that benefits himself & the people he cares about. Same thing w/ ML. Being born from a mistress & belittled by her peers, she's still able to stay upright & manage while helping the people around her. I can't wait for ML & TY to kick these fancy posers off their golden tightropes.

You guys are quick! I'm only up to do 47 subbed. I've been refraining myself to comment on previews and trailers which could be taken out of context. 

I just wanted to say ML after "blackmailed" by 4th and 5th Aunt, beating up the pillow was just cute, and it's highly amusing to see GTY telling 4th and 5th that it was him who snatched ML from Dr.He! And then his only solution to ease ML's anger? To go beat up the couz in prison! :lol::lol:

Also when GTY told her his story and how he's not satisfied that his mom died so quietly that not many even realised that she lived, we can see ML's heart breaks with him..and she instinctively hugs him. 

ML's implicit understanding of GTY that he doesn't really want to torture them, but only wanted an acknowledgement that they were wrong, that's so heartwarming. 

And when GTY bared his back full of scars to ED to cane him, my thought actually went back to "I wonder how ML reacted seeing them?". She might not have said much, but it does show he had a horrible life so far too. 

And they are the best thing that happen to the other...

I don't disagree that most of us are biased towards the main couple, ML-GTY. Whilst they too aren't perfect, we understand and we feel them, because the show gives us their perspectives, thought process, their feelings. 

And personally, I felt all the intimate dialogues is one of the strongest point of the show...

3 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Who did ML slash at the end?

Why cant ML just straight out refuse Kang Auntie..

What if GTY was being spied on in jail so he asked ML for separation for it to be move believable? 

That slap felt good its about time sometime slaps that girl.

Now where do i start with this post without being rude.. was just shaking my head reading this in disbelief but let me try.

Its not that were super invested in the main couple its just that we understand their actions and thought process alot more because they are the lead couple of this drama so we see more of them and understand them clearer. I also heavily disagree that you see this drama with neutral eyes based on what you said below.  Stuff that is actually evil or wrong you are trying to explain away .

You say SH apart from the Poison case everything he does is acceptable?

Lets start with ML's mother's death sure he never directly caused her death but he certainly never investigated or tried to find out the truth because that would ruin the sheng's honour and his honour. Saying he had no responsibilities to seek justice for her like what?

He then treats his concubine better then his main wife which basically shames the main wife and makes her lose authority of the household. Following this he totally favours and treats the children differently in regards to punishments and reward's case being when ML had her face slashed Molan was barely punished. He also had idea's to give away ML multiple times to solve family issues even though ML has repeatedly saved Sheng's family honour. First being when she was young during the marriage of her sister , second when she saved SH from the actions of her brother in the palace by SH remembering what ML once said. Then there is also the upcoming grandma getting poisoned where i guess he wanted to keep this Hush and not punish people involved to protect his honour.

I just GUESS this is all just acceptable and fine.

What you said about GTY's older brother i agree with but he was manipulated to believe what he did and continuously worked and harmed his brother so hes not a neutral party. I pity his character but i hate his action's and still think hes a bad character most likely not evil just misinformed/biased against his brother.

Stepmom is just truly evil and this should not even be a debate she pretended to be a loving step mother towards GTY all while harming his repudiation, saying he raped girls and always messed around in brothel's. This in return made the dad and father basically hate each other. You said she started to go overboard since the father died? No she has been evil since the start with her false personality and making GTY into a villain she also stopped GTY from meeting his father before death. None of this is acceptable at all and she is truly evil. 

QH's wife is not evil she is just a bit naive to think she would be QH's first and one true love and they would live in peace and harmony . What does she think will happen if she goes against ML which she has.. she did not need to tell 5th aunt about the dolls but she did to cause issues , she also ran into ML on purpose in trailer to cause some issues. 

I also agree somewhat in regards to QH if he was just doing his job there would be no issues but its painfully obvious for everyone to see hes emotional and clearly going against GTY but i just dont get what he think's doing this will do . He wants ML to be happy but doing this against GTY will harm ML. He is indirectly a pawn for ED against GTY and sure we dont know everything but hes really not that stupid to not know that hes clearly going against GTY and hes fine with that.

Also no-one want's our couple to have a smooth easy life because that would be boring and drama over.

Im terrible and writing and have terrible grammar but tried to get my point's across. 

They are both petty but his wife is just naive as well thinking the marriage would be perfect. 

Rather then evil shes malicious and out to cause trouble and Naive.

Which drama re you on about??

We have plenty of proof by now when he met with GTY and got emotional , when he met ML and tried to touch her.. QH is stupid but hes really not that stupid he clearly knows hes being used to go against GTY.

If he was simply investigating and doing his job would so many people have issues with him currently. QH criticised GTY in court but im pretty sure someone was about to bring up his marriage with the princess and GTY stopped that.. You see the difference ?  

QH is emotional and clearly still has feeling's for ML if people really think he holds no grudge against GTY and is simply doing his job then i really dont know what to say, he most likely think's ML was stolen from him. 

QH said he wanted ML to be happy and have a good husband/life yet he is openly going against GTY which causes harm to ML.. makes sense. 

Well said.. I'm with you 100‰

I honestly don’t see anything wrong in viewers being biased towards GTY & ML. We are being shown their life stories. We were shown their past, their sorrows & how they overcome those difficulties, their thought processes. We cheered them on so it is expected that viewers will be attached to them. We were and are not given the intimate thought processes of the other characters. What we know about them is the more superficial traits so they will be judged based on those traits & the actions they take. 

Personally, I relate more to GTY & ML. I admire how they use their brains & overcome all the difficulties that life & others throw at them. QH on the other hand I can never understand & at this point I am not sure I want to understand (that scene of him shouting that he is full of regrets & grabbing ML’s arms & the scene in episode 49 where he told his wife that she should keep out of court matters because she is a woman pissed me off)

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:

Ha ha.. Shitou will also be like gty. Henpeck by the wife. Xiatao really fierce. 

They are both like their Master. Lol :lol:

And both seem to like their other half to be feisty! 

GTY was so happy and proud when ML didn't even look at him and  totally ignored him. :lol:

And Shitou was like "XiaoTao looked at me and gave me the killer stare!" :lol:

@linhlinh111 I won't quote your post since it's quite long. 

If lawful or not is the only parameter used to judge, you would be right. But we also live by ethics and moral code.

SH favouring CL, and Molan is not illegal, but it's unfair. 

SH turning a blind eye to ML's mom's death is legal, but unjust. 

GTY's mom, all her despicable actions, her acting, aren't illegal. 

Princess PingNing beating BuWei to death is also legal, since he's a servant. 

QH giving ML false hope, break it, ruining her reputation are all legal

QH giving his wife a cold shoulder isn't illegal

QH's wife telling the aunt unnecessary info about ML also legal. 

Gu Family marrying GTY's mom for money and ignoring/ looking down on her afterwards are all legal. 

GTY using deception to marry ML, also legal. 

If we are judging a person only on legality of it, the actions are all justified. 

But rights and wrongs go beyond that, because we live by moral codes and ethical conduct. 

And that's why those actions are wrong.

Because while some actions are deceptive and mean, others are downright cruel. 

But everyone's to his/her own, on where we draw the line of what's acceptable, and what's not. 

@ForgottenSoulx FFs fast forwards

@m0us3y lmao I’m still only at episode 45. I’m just reading all the spoilers and trailers on here but at same time I don’t want to because I don’t want to formulate an opinion or anticipate what not without watching the episodes yet. But, I fear if I don’t keep up with this thread I come back and I’m already 30pgs behind like last time. It’s fun reading all the debates/ different POV of everyone and basically just talk about the episodes. Lol 

Archived