[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

Hi, am long time lurker of this thread, love the drama so far ^^. I believe I remember reading some spoilers in this thread about Manniang and Changge and their eventual revenge/plotting as well as something about Manniang raising her kids to go against GTY or something, but can't seem to find that post (or it's possible that my memory is just bad, lol). Does anyone know what happened in the novel?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, hello210 said:

The Empress Dowager is one of those typical rulers who doesn’t see the lives of their people only the status of the nobility it seems. She looks down upon the current a Emperor because on top of the new royals being “country bumpkins”, he doesn’t want to keep the status quo. Him and the Prince want to see reform which mean all those corrupt officials loosing their cash cows. To me, it’s because they lived their lives away from the palace and see first hand everything going on throughout parts of the empire. The Prince and GTY found all the corruption going on in the military and even ML saw what happened on the former Imperial farms. I don’t think that QH is purposely targeting GTY, but he is being used by the Empress Dowager.  She knows who to target to weaken the new Emperor. As those episodes foreshadow, more palace power struggles to come. I can see why QH would have that shocked look because the old GTY probably would not have stood up for those Gu members.

The Empress Dowager had a point to dismiss the emperor as "country bumpkin", as he was not that ambitious as his son, Huan Wang the Prince. In earlier episode when discussing with GTY about the possibility of entering the capital for seeking chance in the power struggle, the Prince admitted it was his idea. And when GTY told ML the emperor was ambitious, had big plans to reform, she corrected him it was Huan Wang. I remember two scenes about the emperor. One is the assassination in the rice field, when the emperor admired the rice as the “most beautiful thing in the world”. Another is him plowing field in the palace after he became emperor. Two scenes conveying one message: all he wanted was a quiet country life. But his son Huan Wang was completely different. I feel the difference might develop into mistrust between father and son and be used by empress dowager.        

26 minutes ago, huahuacaocao said:

Hi, am long time lurker of this thread, love the drama so far ^^. I believe I remember reading some spoilers in this thread about Manniang and Changge and their eventual revenge/plotting as well as something about Manniang raising her kids to go against GTY or something, but can't seem to find that post (or it's possible that my memory is just bad, lol). Does anyone know what happened in the novel?

Spoiler

I think that's what happened in the novel the boy was turned against GTY and ML i think.

Yo that MeiNiang is godawful did y'all see episode 49 my gawd she's legit shameless, v. stupid. Btw does any1 kno what is happening with Chang'e??? Is he really dead or nah (I don't mind spoilers)

Note: I feel bad that Minglan is oblivious (border line insensitive???) to GTY's feelings, she basically told him to go sleep with another woman.... must be the onslaught from her bad dad and family, she doesn't want to put to much hope into her relationship with him but can't the girl see that she's hurting his heart so baddddddddddd esp. since they're such a cute couple. HE LURVES HER SO MUCH lah I really want their relationship to blossom. uwu 

19 minutes ago, mingminglanlan said:

Yo that MeiNiang is godawful did y'all see episode 49 my gawd she's legit shameless, v. stupid. Btw does any1 kno what is happening with Chang'e??? Is he really dead or nah (I don't mind spoilers)

Note: I feel bad that Minglan is oblivious (border line insensitive???) to GTY's feelings, she basically told him to go sleep with another woman.... must be the onslaught from her bad dad and family, she doesn't want to put to much hope into her relationship with him but can't the girl see that she's hurting his heart so baddddddddddd esp. since they're such a cute couple. HE LURVES HER SO MUCH lah I really want their relationship to blossom. uwu 

It was a plan I guess.. She was like will their plan work and would MN not want something more other than that one night.. Like someone said, ML doesn't really know she is making him sad because somehow she believes he wants her to be perfect and also she also doesn't have that luxury to love him as much as he does her.. Plus I think she agreed to that night because it's to know where the son is. And anyways it's just a trick, so there is no problem in telling him to go sleep with her.. But if she really said it, it's not a surprise as that's just her trying to be the non jealous perfect wife she thinks will the marquis wife to have.. ML and her thoughts.. To be honest ML is naively strong and dedicated 

39 minutes ago, mingminglanlan said:

Spoiler

I think he died in the book due to malnutrition and trailers show GTY crying over a grave im not sure if hes dead yet but he will die.

you see it here she takes them to grave. 

What is being said between GTY and QH ;ooooo

18 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

What does GTY say to QH? He doesn't seem to happy about it.Are they on opposing sides now?

Since MN refused to talk, ML advised GTY to release MN and follow her to see where she hide/bury Chang'er. But the woman going around the city accusing GTY of abandoning her and killing their son (I haven't seen it with subtitles so this is just me guessing). QH then brings the rumors that's been going around because of MN to the court, this causes the Emperor to yell at GTY. I think that's why GTY goes to see QH, I didn't get much from the conversation, but I think GTY tells QH that he's been targeting GTY because QH is holding grudges (I didn't want to say it before, I might be wrong, but to me it seems like QH is definitely holding grudges)

35 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Hide contents

I think he died in the book due to malnutrition and trailers show GTY crying over a grave im not sure if hes dead yet but he will die.

you see it here she takes them to grave. 

What is being said between GTY and QH ;ooooo

Hehhehhehehheh.. This is getting deep. Omo.. Who made ML angry.. Wow I feel so sorry for GTY as a father, even if the boy is dead or not, this suffering is just coming back to back right now.. Please let the lovers live in peace 

9 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

Since MN refused to talk, ML advised GTY to release MN and follow her to see where she hide/bury Chang'er. But the woman going around the city accusing GTY of abandoning her and killing their son (I haven't seen it with subtitles so this is just me guessing). QH then brings the rumors that's been going around because of MN to the court, this causes the Emperor to yell at GTY. I think that's why GTY goes to see QH, I didn't get much from the conversation, but I think GTY tells QH that he's been targeting GTY because QH is holding grudges (I didn't want to say it before, I might be wrong, but to me it seems like QH is definitely holding grudges)

Looks like this stupid MN is hell bent on ruining GTY for real and that's why I guess, the stupid step mom can use her to take revenge on ML.. Omg QH please don't fall for the rumors and don't be so hell bent on revenge too.. It's OK to hold grudges but don't turn it to a evil hatred 

30 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

Darn, at 1 ep a day, it’s going seem like it’ll be forever until we see the whole scene between QH and GTY. I don’t really see the relevance of bringing up MN rumors in court. To me that will only make QH seem petty so will wait to see the whole thing. 

32 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

Thank you for summary.The noble and scrupulous QH turns into a bitter spurned lover.:tears: His lack of foresight always brings trouble for ML whom he wishes a good life for.

It feels like they are building up GTY's fall from his current position of power.

The issue with ED where she he courts her displeasure, the Gu cousin incident and now the Maniang issue..The relationship between him and the emperor is getting strained. :(

Looks lik QH is somehow involved in these incidents.I am hoping he doesn't become a pawn in the power struggle because of his anger towards GTY.

6 hours ago, gleek49 said:

The previews did not mention about "woman going around the city accusing GTY of abandoning her and killing their son." If you're guessing this, may be that's what she will do...we have to see tomorrow :D 

@darkphoenix123

epi 55 preview translation:

Spoiler

As an imperial censor, QH brought accusation to imperial court to censor GTY for having unclean character, for defaming his governmental office as corrupt officer, and bringing bad name to the new imperial court.

Emperor is saying if GTY is not slapping imperial court then he is slapping his face. GTY explained that the emperor should know more about this case than others as he met and saved them while looking for his son, he told them about his son abduction by MN and emperor at that time even helped him look for the son. GTY also said he was not involved with any woman after he married his Sheng wife. Emperor then angrily said he would not be able to tell whether GTY went back and associated with MN again because of her good looks. 

According to conversation bt step-mom and her maid, the news was brought out by Empress Dowager. Step-mom said GTY is one of new emperor's trusted aides. The person is more important and valuable to the emperor, ED will dislike that person more.

GTY told QH that everyone in Bianjin knew about his former bad boy life and no one will bring about MN case to use to censor him. Since QH is very smart, he should know this and he is accusing QH of having personal interest (grudges).

GTY saw the son's grave and told MN that she is cursing the son to die by burning paper money since the son isn't dead yet. MN then said this is the reason you let me go to follow me to see your son.

RL is saying that Molan has been very virtuous as newly-wedded wife as she let her husband have 4-5 concubines after his first concubine Chunge lost the child (she had difficult birth for her first daughter for child being too big and lost the second pregnancy. I guess, Molan is the culprit). RL then said Molan's courtyard is having blissful days as new concubines all listen to Molan and Molan as newly-wed is now more impressive than ML as newly-wed (I'm pretty sure RL was being sarcastic when she said this).  ML said someone is kneeling without she is asking her to (I think it is Molan trying to kneel). Then, SH reprimanded ML that she cannot make decision in this family yet but why she is being overbearing, throwing bowls when the whole family is eating. ML then said since ancient time, no killer will stand directly in front of the person (she is saying people try to attack/ kill someone secretly not openly. Since their conversation is not complete, I do not know about whom or what they're talking about. I don't think it is about MN since they're inside Sheng's house having family lunch, MN couldn't be kneeling there and she has also gone mad).

21 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

It feels like they are building up GTY's fall from his current position of power.

The issue with ED where she he courts her displeasure, the Gu cousin incident and now the Maniang issue..The relationship between him and the emperor is getting strained. :(

Looks lik QH is somehow involved in these incidents.I am hoping he doesn't become a pawn in the power struggle because of his anger towards GTY.

If after all this GTY still doesn't fall then the writer is making him an invisible hero really, before getting to these episodes I was wondering on how the thoughtful and clear headed GTY will be made to fall.. But seriously after knowing these will be the problem I respect him the more because it was his plead for family, his truth towards the throne, and his suffering towards his son, and his love towards his wife that was used against him.. No one can argue against righteousness but your move for rughtgeouness can be used against you.. I really I'm tired on behalf of ML and GTY on all this power struggle bullcrap that's happening 

5 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

I don't think the previews mentioned about "woman going around the city accusing GTY of abandoning her and killing their son." May be that's what she will do...we have to see tomorrow.

epi 55 preview translation (not line by line in details):

Hide contents

As an imperial censor, QH brought accusation to censor GTY for not having unclean character, for defaming his governmental office as corrupt officer, and bringing bad name to the new imperial court. GTY explained to the emperor knew about this case as he met and saved him while looking for his son, he told him about his son abduction by MN and emperor at that time even helped him look for the son. Emperor then angrily said he would not be able to tell whether GTY went back and associated with MN again because of her looks. According to conversation bt step-mom and her maid, the news was brought out by Emperor Dowager. Step-mom said GTY's one of new emperor's trusted aides. The person is more important and valuable to the emperor and ED will dislike that person more. GTY told QH that everyone in Bianjin knew about him and no one will bring about MN case to use to censor him. Since QH is very smart, he should know this and he is accusing QH of having personal interest (grudges). GTY saw the son's grave and told MN that he is cursing the son to die since he isn't dead yet. MN then said this is the reason you let me go. 

RL is saying that Molan has been very virtuous as newly-wedded wife as she let her husband have 4-5 concubines after his first concubine Chunge lost the child (she had difficult birth for her first daughter for child being too big and lost the second pregnancy. I guess, Molan is the culprit). Molan as newly-wed is now more famous than ML.  ML is saying someone is kneeling without her asking. Then, SH told ML she cannot make decision in this family yet but why she is throwing things while the whole family is eating. 

Yes ML let them know we don't care about all those things.. Like did she even ask them to fight for popularity.. Please SH dad let her talk.. We need no concubine acceptance to be virtuous.. We have way more problems at hand 

1 hour ago, gleek49 said:

Spoiler

QH officially cancelled hes on my i dont care if they die list along with MN.

IF QH really did that ill hate his character even more so lets hope he did not. 

Archived