[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

45 minutes ago, historicalfictionftw said:

@Ditto very good point, ML might just do they same thing she did at her pavilion with the staff of spies

Seems like she speeds things up a bit this time! 

The last time she had a bit more time to play along with them.

Now she just gets rid of them like that, quick kill. Lol:lol:

And then she seems to move on to take care of all the assets?? 

I don't fully understand the previews myself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nichiwoohee said:

I like cb’s drama character, fits well with gty’s playful drama character. I cant imagine book cb getting along well with drama gty. I like every comedy part that the drama incorporated. The timely funny music effect, the ml vs fat bandit, cb, sh and danniang quarrels. Makes the drama livelier imo

Well, CB in the novel and CB in the drama are completely different characters. Novel CB didn't know GTY when they were young and thus did not become best friends afterwards. He spoke little and usually didn't involve in family matters, but when he did, his words carried weight because he's intelligent and sensible, respected by all family members. This characteristic foreshadowed his important role in the future incident of Grandma being poisoned. Drama CB was good natured, easy going and GTY's best friend, a kind of bridge between GTY and ML. This adaptation also influences GTY's personality, as in the novel he's basically a lone man when he's been cast out of Gu household, without a true friend to talk to. I'm not sure I like drama CB very much. I think there are too many comedic characters in Sheng family, with the only exception of ML and Grandma. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dito said:

But in the drama the proposal was offered to CB, who knew both of his sisters very well...and knew ML was now Di daughter too. The question we are asking here is how could CB not know which sister GTY was talking about when Sheng Hong knew immediately it was ML.

This is why I said the drama writers were wrong to add this scene of the characters being confused as to who was the proposal for, which then created questions among the viewers about the CB's intelligence.:lol:

Well from a production point of view I understand.  They probably cut out a lot of HL's husband's scene.  Why hire an actor for days and days to says a few lines. I can imagine a producer saying 'why dont we just let CB bring the proposal, then we can cut out an actor and save?' Kkk. I agree it was wrong to change the characters.  Makes no sense at all.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sava2sava said:

@minglan1  So thats what SH was bent out if shape about.. We all know if that had been Molan he wouldn't have said a word.. Why throw a tiff with her thats her husbands way of pampering her.. If he was so bent out of shapoe take it up with your SIL not her she don't own those carriages..Also in that scene it seems like they were all there to get something from ML and GTY..  I think Big Mdm is envious of ML because she married richer then all the other legit daughters.. 

Yes it was wonderful seeing Molan realizing that both sister married better then she.. Molan knew she had to take a back seat to ML who she always thought that would never climb above her.. I think this is what SH is really mad about because in terms of status ML rates higher then him being married into the GU clan.. 

You are right DaNiang has a jealous streak and Molan has been forced to take a back seat.

I am not sure if SH cares about Molan like before in the absence of CL I am guessing this time it is about not making Rulan uncomfortable Aunty Kang and DaNiang might have been responsible in guiding his thoughts that way.

He had to give equal dowry to ML and Rulan so as to maintain the facade among people that both daughters are considered equally legitmate.He wants to keep that up and preserve peace in his household.As GTY said his children,family come second to maintaining his pride and status.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, matrim said:

Well, CB in the novel and CB in the drama are completely different characters. Novel CB didn't know GTY when they were young and thus did not become best friends afterwards. He spoke little and usually didn't involve in family matters, but when he did, his words carried weight because he's intelligent and sensible, respected by all family members. This characteristic foreshadowed his important role in the future incident of Grandma being poisoned. Drama CB was good natured, easy going and GTY's best friend, a kind of bridge between GTY and ML. This adaptation also influences GTY's personality, as in the novel he's basically a lone man when he's been cast out of Gu household, without a true friend to talk to. I'm not sure I like drama CB very much. I think there are too many comedic characters in Sheng family, with the only exception of ML and Grandma. 

Well there are so many villains in this drama. So, cb being an easy going characters is good to balance the evilness of those villains. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, m0us3y said:

Some people simply can't accept someone that's better off. She's just green with envy and trying to ruin the party. 

If only she knows GTY/ML partnership is like a SWAT team. GTY leading assault team, ML being the sniper at the back. 

Aunty Kang will regret messing with anyone dear to ML. Tsk tsk tsk. 

@m0us3y  CHEERS, This is the best description of this couple that has been described..:)  I love it..

CB and Xiaotao  conversation is a hoot but one have to ask is she that densed in the head.. She had no clue to what he was talking about when he was explaining to her about knowing right from wrong one and who to trust who not to trust.. In the end of the conversation she still didn't have a clue..  I can't ship shitou with her he'll have to think for her..But I guess thats what makes her cute because she's not bright at all..  I wonder what Shitou has to say about GTY family herichy now:lol:

Wow I didn't know that there was so many that tried to hinder that wedding. All the spies and enemies was all there. I see why so many was so jealous on how he went all out just for the concubine daughter.. I say she desreved every bit of if.. After being treated like the redheaded step child by her on father.. SH look at ML like she was even his child.. He didn't seem to happy about her wedding.. I bet 10 to 1 he was also in that hindring bunch right along with Big Mdm.. She raised RL so spoiled and she choose to be a scholar after all her pain stakingly work.  I guess SH tellig GTY to be a good role model to your children was because of his on guilt that he was never a good role model to her.. It would have been nice if he took GTY aside and told him to cherrish her because he never did..    

• Like 5

8 hours ago, dito said:

ML and GTY , these 2 really have very weird understanding of courtship. GTY went all out on his scheme to impress ML with his skills. And as a schemer herself, ML would know quite well how much effort, time and money would've been spent to achieve his plans perfect execution....and result. How could she not be impressed? In the book even GTY was impressed by her after seeing her little scheme against her sister Molan.....when she threw mud on Molan's dress to stop her from going in the men's section.

So made for each other, these two.

No woman wants to be forced/cornered into marriage. She wants to be asked.  ML was impressed with him but needed a proposal. Thats why the proposal scene was important.  She can go all in of her own free will as his equal.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

@frenchfan Grandma and ML scenes are very endearing.It is full of warmth and brings a smile amidst the plotting intrigue.

SH and wife both have evil blind spots.CL was the former's and Ms.Kang is the latter's.

I was glad that they managed to show some genuine sister bonding before ML left for Gu household.

@ForgottenSoulx I hope SH gets an earful from someone for always being harsh and without consistent care for his own daughter ML .She has always been a help to him which he chooses to conviniently forget.

He also needs to kneel down in his ancestral hall and reflect how he messed up his household's power balance and caused misery to his own children.:D

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

On 1/18/2019 at 11:04 AM, gleek49 said:

This plan IS about him getting her. But it doesn't mean that he didn't put her first. He put her first when he offer to help QH, he made it clear that he liked her at this point, but because he knew she liked QH, so he was willing to give her up. He put her first time and time again when he tried to protect her reputation, never asked anything back from her even though he's the one who saved her all the time. He even waits until he's accomplished and successful and worthy enough to ask for her hand. Almost everything he does is for her best interest, so what if he did this one thing for himself?  

Also, I trust his character, (1) if he can't get her to agree to marry him before the wedding, he will not force her. And (2) as we all know very well, he's one of the rare people in the world who truly get her, I think he's aware of that and thus, he sees himself as the best choice for her. So this scheme of "having to get her", can be seen as his own way of offering her the most suitable husband, hence, putting her first. ( The way I worded this may make it sounds like he's too full of himself, but I think we all know that's he not that kind of person.)

Well said @gleek49... I am person who love a flawed character. Flawed character like GTY. I was never a fan of QH but ML did want to be with him so I tried to find traits that would attract her to him. 

I just finished watching episode 36-40 with subs. I had to take my time to watch these episodes because I am having difficulty putting a name to a face to most of the characters in the drama.  

Who is Daniang???? While reading the  post here someone mentioned Daniang was being poisoned. I am wondering who is that person so I tried to find out who that was. I had no luck finding who that person is.  

OMG!!!! GTY sure is a fine specimen, he is so romantic and damn!!! He was dying to kiss Ming Lan.  I believe he worked really hard to get his woman.  I swear he fell more in love with Ming Lan when she said children whether legitimate or illegitimate still BELONG TO THE PARENTS. His oath to be honest and a good husband was so touching. I believe he will never betray his vows. He is a man of his word. I love how he told her he truly has no allies in truth. He can’t really trust anyone in his family.  OmG!!!!!!! GTY is a very rich man , seems most of his other assets are in the hand of his family members. 

Another shock for me is that GTY’s brother knows his aunts is after his title for her son. But I wonder if he knows that his aunt killed his father or lied about his father’s last words on his death bed. I wonder if his brother regrets they way he treated his brother all these years. At the wedding it seems that GTY ‘s isn’t as hostile as he once was before he came back. 

Can someone tell me why does GTY’s eldest sister in law care if GTY wants his title or not when she has no kids from her marriage???  Will GTY and his brother ever reconcile????? :tears::tears:

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

@ForgottenSoulx I hope SH gets an earful from someone for always being harsh and without consistent care for his own daughter ML .She has always been a help to him which he chooses to conviniently forget.

He also needs to kneel down in his ancestral hall and reflect how he messed up his household's power balance and caused misery to his own children.:D

I think that’s why he carried out CL’s beating in the ancestor hall while he kneeled in front of all the tablets. It was both their penance for the shame brought on by Molan.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, m0us3y said:
5 hours ago, leeza77 said:
Spoiler

Her true characters showed after marriage. The Director also said that audiences will meet ne ml after marriage. 

I'm scared now....lol. 

Domineering...arrogant. 

Cuz even after marriage, the conversation with GTY bout her understanding fair treatment to all due to their fate...arrogance doesn't come to mind...will need to watch and see...

@m0us3y  I don't think it will be she changed so much as arrogant and doomineering,, ML isn't going to take crapolla from the GU's.. She has to let evil step mom know right off the bat she's not one to be fuk with.. Any sign of weakness they would run all over her if she let's them.. The Gu household isn't a household to act timid in if sshe becomes arrogant and domineering she will need to be that way with them..

5 hours ago, m0us3y said:

Hahahaha. U may be right. Just that up to date, we can see GTY is the one who bamboozled his way to success while ML gets rid of things and people quietly, without them even realising she was behind it. I don't think Molan knows ML has a hand in her mom's death. And her current predicament...? 

Even if she did know so what it's eye for and eye.. ML lived without her mother since she was 8 now it's her turn.. It would have been nice to see the look on Molan Mom face seeing how grand ML wedding was.. Her current predicament is the hell she choose for herself ML didn't pudh her into it..She did that herself..

4 hours ago, m0us3y said:

Lol. If that's the case, its consistent with her character. 

She's stubborn and determined, but domineering is a whole different level. That's her being a bully, intimidating, overbearing. :wacko:

She has to be this way to survive.. ML learn that early on from the Sheng household.. It's the only way she knows how.. This is another reason GTY choose her.. He knows she worse then he'll ever be.. Which made me stop and think.. GTY told ML that he was to lazy to fight for his assets from evil step mom.. I'm wondering at some point will ML go after it for her own sons..  

Back to the wedding scene.. Those friends of his had me cracking up.  One said I never been to a wedding where the bride and groom are bowing to two tablets nd one of the alive parents are sitting there..:w00t:  .The evil witch lost face on so many different levels..  She had to sit there through all of that.. SMH. 

GTY is trully messey he told his brother to have a drink with him when he knew he couldn't drink..:w00t: He really rubbed salt in all there wounds on his wedding day..

• Like 5

2 hours ago, matrim said:

BTW, I'd like to see Shu- used in discussion of concubine born children instead of illegitimate. The latter might cause misunderstanding, as it has a connotation that the child is the result of a love affair outside marriage. In fact both concubines and their children are legitimate member of the family, albeit of inferior status. When there's no Di-son in the family, Shu-son can even become the heir. The best example is Sheng Hong, concubine born son, now head of the Sheng family.  

I also get confused when the terms get mixed up. The only illegitimate child child is GTY's son who was born to an outside mistress (MN). Manniang has got to be one of the worst real mothers in dramaland.  She denies her son a good father, home and status. Forget about being a concubine or getting anymore money from GTY, I don't get why she would hold the son hostage when the game is lost.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, mooose said:

I also get confused when the terms get mixed up. The only illegitimate child child is GTY's son who was born to an outside mistress (MN). Manniang has got to be one of the worst real mothers in dramaland.  She denies her son a good father, home and status. Forget about being a concubine or getting anymore money from GTY, I don't get why she would hold the son hostage when the game is lost.

As a cunning and manipulative devil, Manniang Knew perfectly well that GTY's weakness was his devotion to loved ones, so she regarded their son as a kind weapon that could be used later against GTY or a bargain chip to earn her advantages. I think she must have nurtured hatred in her heart and was bidding her time to get revenge.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

Another shock for me is that GTY’s brother knows his aunts is after his title for her son. But I wonder if he knows that his aunt killed his father or lied about his father’s last words on his death bed. I wonder if his brother regrets they way he treated his brother all these years. At the wedding it seems that GTY ‘s isn’t as hostile as he once was before he came back. 

Can someone tell me why does GTY’s eldest sister in law care if GTY wants his title or not when she has no kids from her marriage???  Will GTY and his brother ever reconcile????? :tears::tears:

Its the years of brainwashing by stepmom and it will take years to undo. The sister in-law is too brainwashed to think straight but the eldest brother now sees the truth that GTY doesn't really need them or that title really. He has a house, imperial favour, career, money and can even get married well without them. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

@leeza77 I'm looking forward to that scene :D 

@Lunkera Me too , dying to see this scene also... :wub::lol:  

27 minutes ago, mooose said:

Its the years of brainwashing by stepmom and it will take years to undo. The sister in-law is too brainwashed to think straight but the eldest brother now sees the truth that GTY doesn't really need them or that title really. He has a house, imperial favour, career, money and can even get married well without them. 

@mooose... Isn't that sad though. I am glad that I am not seeing things. I feel so bad for GTY. He loved his family and just wanted to be accepted but it might be too late for them to bond. :tears::tears: I am big fan of family unity because then everyone will be happy and safe.... :D 

• Like 5