[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

Funny thing is that I don't think the status or power bothered ML much. She still got along well with Rulan, sharing gossips and all despite their "status" differences. 

ML is just a person who pays her dues. 

Both good and bad. 

Domineering? Really? I haven't watch it so I can't comment. But that doesn't seem to go with her character? 

Spoiler

Her true characters showed after marriage. The Director also said that audiences will meet ne ml after marriage. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, lxands said:

Actually tho they werebrefered as cousin ML with her siblings & Pinglan with her siblings are 2 cousins. Their fathers are cousin, their grandfathers are brothers...therefore tho they are related they are not from the same immediate family. Pinglan has 2 other siblings, her eldest brother whom they refered to this Sheng side of family as 1st brother/big brother or Da ge, 2nd sister, Er Gu Niang & the youngest sister Pinglan whom they refered to as 3rd sister, san (3) since she was the 3rd child of her father. I can see why many got confused and jumble up the family because their 2 family siblings numbering seem to match each other. In eastern culture its common to use this kind of numbering for siblings in one family especially if there are many siblings in the family. And for this Sheng, tho they referred as cousin, they are already distance cousin, especially when they dont live together.

That's not the case since in the book ML had a younger brother (from her father's concubine) who was addressed as the 4th son, he was the youngest in the family. Besides QH was addressed as Qi's 2nd son cuz he had an older cousin. So I'm sure they didn't count the sons and daughters based on their parents. Maybe Sheng Hong had another brother?

8 hours ago, matrim said:

CB's clumsiness is added in the drama. The novel version CB is an intelligent, highly sensible and perceptive man with little humor. In the epilogue CB became prime minister. 

Yeah right. I'm not sure if I like CB's drama version as much as in the book. In the book he was like the symbol of righteousness, justice and perfection, the pillar holding the Sheng family. He lived strictly by the code of honor, smart, strong-willed and never made a mistake. Damn he's more reliable than any other characters. I wonder where he got his genes from, cuz I'm sure he was nothing similar to Sheng Hong or Daniang. That scene where he caught Rulan with her suitor kinda destroyed his character. Someone as rational and level-headed as CB should never freak out over sth like that. But he's more sentimental in the drama so maybe they're trying to make him more humane by adding a little clumsiness? I like the book version though, just a personal preference.

43 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Some people simply can't accept someone that's better off. She's just green with envy and trying to ruin the party. 

If only she knows GTY/ML partnership is like a SWAT team. GTY leading assault team, ML being the sniper at the back. 

Aunty Kang will regret messing with anyone dear to ML. Tsk tsk tsk. 

Spoiler

In dealing with the households abd this woman, i think ml will be a cavalry while gty at the back with archer team as a defence. She's the general. 

15 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Her true characters showed after marriage. The Director also said that audiences will meet ne ml after marriage. 

I'm scared now....lol. 

Domineering...arrogant. 

Cuz even after marriage, the conversation with GTY bout her understanding fair treatment to all due to their fate...arrogance doesn't come to mind...will need to watch and see...

10 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

In dealing with the households abd this woman, i think ml will be a cavalry while gty at the back with archer team as a defence. She's the general. 

Hahahaha. U may be right. Just that up to date, we can see GTY is the one who bamboozled his way to success while ML gets rid of things and people quietly, without them even realising she was behind it. I don't think Molan knows ML has a hand in her mom's death. And her current predicament...? 

12 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

I'm scared now....lol. 

Domineering...arrogant. 

Cuz even after marriage, the conversation with GTY bout her understanding fair treatment to all due to their fate...arrogance doesn't come to mind...will need to watch and see...

Hahahaha. U may be right. Just that up to date, we can see GTY is the one who bamboozled his way to success while ML gets rid of things and people quietly, without them even realising she was behind it. I don't think Molan knows ML has a hand in her mom's death. And her current predicament...? 

It's not that scary, she is just maintaining people respect her as the big madama in her husband's house.. She is still the same, scheming ML that does good to those who do good to her and returns the deed of those that does bad to her.. She was not arrogant at all. Just leaving her life 

6 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

It's not that scary, she is just maintaining people respect her as the big madama in her husband's house.. She is still the same, scheming ML that does good to those who do good to her and returns the deed of those that does bad to her.. She was not arrogant at all. Just leaving her life 

Lol. If that's the case, its consistent with her character. 

She's stubborn and determined, but domineering is a whole different level. That's her being a bully, intimidating, overbearing. :wacko:

9 hours ago, matrim said:
  Hide contents

At the end ML urged GTY to think carefully about amiable separation, because once it's done, there wouldn't be any turning back and ML wouldn't choose GTY again.

Damn. Even though that’s the truth, it must hurt GTY when ML said that

4 hours ago, dito said:

Just finished watching raws of todays epis.

I'm loving how playful he is after the wedding. Glad they kept that in. I'm also glad they kept most of the touching. But most of its playful and less naughty. Wish they kept his naughty bits too.

The audience ask for gty’s naughtiness to make a comeback :P 

I like cb’s drama character, fits well with gty’s playful drama character. I cant imagine book cb getting along well with drama gty. I like every comedy part that the drama incorporated. The timely funny music effect, the ml vs fat bandit, cb, sh and danniang quarrels. Makes the drama livelier imo

23 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Lol. If that's the case, its consistent with her character. 

She's stubborn and determined, but domineering is a whole different level. That's her being a bully, intimidating, overbearing. :wacko:

Yes.. I now understand what you mean.. Then it's her just being her consistent character.. Smart and determined.. 

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

I'm scared now....lol. 

Domineering...arrogant. 

Spoiler

Never said she's arrogant.. Domineering attitude can be seen in the trailers when she deal with the issue outside her household. Then there is a scene where ml out-maneuvered the stepmom whilst gty hiding outside (and mimicking) the stepmom white lotus speech. He's guarding her six. 

6 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Never said she's arrogant.. Domineering attitude can be seen in the trailers when she deal with the issue outside her household. Then there is a scene where ml out-maneuvered the stepmom whilst gty hiding outside (and mimicking) the stepmom white lotus speech. He's guarding her six. 

Ahhhh. Just ML being ML then. 

Lol. Domineering by google's definition "assert one's will over another in an arrogant way". Bit more of a bully. 

Hence I asked. Thanks for clarifying! Now I'm looking forward to it! :lol:

I like that she outmaneuver and outwit the stepmom, but not to the extent of being arrogant. 

3 hours ago, sava2sava said:

@Lunkera  I read it was after she had the first child and pregnant with the second one when they poisioned Granny.. This is when they reconnected they're relationship.. No one never said what sex was the second child.. Did she have two boys or just the one.. 

Spoiler

ML and GTY had 4 sons in a row. When ML was pregnant with the second child GTY hoped it's a girl.

Just now, matrim said:
  Hide contents

ML and GTY had 4 sons in a row. When ML was pregnant with the second child GTY hoped it's a girl.

Lol. No wonder the evil stepmom wanted ML dead. 4 sons! Her own son will NOT have a chance at the title she's eyeing her whole life for!! :lol:

7 hours ago, hello210 said:

similar to WuJi character in CDYY where he was framed for bad alcohol sales to the military).

Which drama is this??

4 hours ago, minglan1 said:

It was fun to see Molan being ignored /slighted when the girls came to visit after marriage.Her grand dreams of having the Sheng household pamper her because she married into the household of a count as legal wife just went pffft.Counting your chickens before they hatch can be extremely dissappinting.

SH true to his nature reprimanded ML for displaying her higher status during the visit even though she was courteous. Seems to have quickly forgotten that ML saved the family embarrassment by agreeing to marry GTY.Not sure if Autie Kang and DaNiang had anything to do with it.

Ima say it but can ML stand up to that idiot of a father of her's literally one of the worst characters of the show all he care's about is his own rep, if he died i would give 0 care's. Someone please tell me that she stands up to her father or tells him what she really thinks.

2 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

Yeah right. I'm not sure if I like CB's drama version as much as in the book. In the book he was like the symbol of righteousness, justice and perfection, the pillar holding the Sheng family. He lived strictly by the code of honor, smart, strong-willed and never made a mistake. Damn he's more reliable than any other characters. I wonder where he got his genes from, cuz I'm sure he was nothing similar to Sheng Hong or Daniang. That scene where he caught Rulan with her suitor kinda destroyed his character. Someone as rational and level-headed as CB should never freak out over sth like that. But he's more sentimental in the drama so maybe they're trying to make him more humane by adding a little clumsiness? I like the book version though, just a personal preference.

I totally prefer the CB version on the show no character should be written like that.. a character without flaws is totally boring. I prefer his more humane emotions and personality over CB novel version that does not sound human.

1 hour ago, nichiwoohee said:

Damn. Even though that’s the truth, it must hurt GTY when ML said that

The audience ask for gty’s naughtiness to make a comeback :P 

I like cb’s drama character, fits well with gty’s playful drama character. I cant imagine book cb getting along well with drama gty. I like every comedy part that the drama incorporated. The timely funny music effect, the ml vs fat bandit, cb, sh and danniang quarrels. Makes the drama livelier imo

I think ML said that not to hurt GTY but to say that if we divorce there is no future for us , she does not want to leave him. Shes basically asking if he really thinks and believes that. I also agree with everything you said about CB.

35 minutes ago, matrim said:
  Hide contents

I hope she has a girl i want the show to change it up ;p 

https://cdramabase.com/2019/01/20/news-corner-youku-stops-counting-online-views/

The online ratings for dramas have been a controversial topic for quite some time as they can easily be manipulated. People suspect that some fans of certain dramas or actors keep clicking on the videos to push the view count up. Following iQIYI, Youku now decided to take measures as well.

On January 18, online streaming platform Youku announced on their official Weibo account that they will immediately stop counting online views to create a more positive environment and avoid too much noise. They further explained that the online ratings can’t possibly adequately reflect the worth of a drama and its impact, and definitely shouldn’t be the only means of measurement.

Youku also revealed that the National Radio and Television Administration (NRTA, known as SAPPRFT until 2018) has created a new evaluation system which is currently being tested. They didn’t reveal how the new system works, though.

Youku calls this measure the first step into the right direction and expects more online streaming platforms to follow. They believe that an objective and fair rating system will allow the entertainment industry to shine more.

Might be hard for minglan to hit 10 billion views now due to this.

9 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Which drama is this??

Ima say it but can ML stand up to that idiot of a father of her's literally one of the worst characters of the show all he care's about is his own rep, if he died i would give 0 care's. Someone please tell me that she stands up to her father or tells him what she really thinks.

I totally prefer the CB version on the show no character should be written like that.. a character without flaws is totally boring. I prefer his more humane emotions and personality over CB novel version that does not sound human.

I think ML said that not to hurt GTY but to say that if we divorce there is no future for us , she does not want to leave him. Shes basically asking if he really thinks and believes that. I also agree with everything you said about CB.

I agree. ML deliberately said that to tell him she doesn't want it and he probably doesn't want it too, telling him that to also tell him not to send her away just because of some problems... She just want him to gain his confidence in fighting and figuring out solutions to the problems together, instead of protecting her by letting her go and not being with him during his low state.. 

37 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Which drama is this??

Cuo Dian Yuan Yang with ZLY and Qi Ji (bad guy in Cruel Romance). I think it was ZLY’s first lead role but the drama isn’t as well known as Legend of Lu Zhen which aired after. I liked it. 

https://cdramabase.com/2019/01/20/news-corner-youku-stops-counting-online-views/

The online ratings for dramas have been a controversial topic for quite some time as they can easily be manipulated. People suspect that some fans of certain dramas or actors keep clicking on the videos to push the view count up. Following iQIYI, Youku now decided to take measures as well.

On January 18, online streaming platform Youku announced on their official Weibo account that they will immediately stop counting online views to create a more positive environment and avoid too much noise. They further explained that the online ratings can’t possibly adequately reflect the worth of a drama and its impact, and definitely shouldn’t be the only means of measurement.

Youku also revealed that the National Radio and Television Administration (NRTA, known as SAPPRFT until 2018) has created a new evaluation system which is currently being tested. They didn’t reveal how the new system works, though.

Youku calls this measure the first step into the right direction and expects more online streaming platforms to follow. They believe that an objective and fair rating system will allow the entertainment industry to shine more.

Might be hard for minglan to hit 10 billion views now due to this.

I don’t really understand about the online viewing issues. I get that some fans click multiple time for viewing numbers but I watch shows multiple times when they’re available online because they’re good. :wacko:

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

I was wondering what he was mumbling about because he looked proud/surprised. 

Just finished watching episode 40 with subs & when GTY said Bai family sends spies to his house my immediate thought was ‘Don’t worry your wife has experience in getting rid of household spies’:joy:

16 minutes ago, darkphoenix123 said:

I was wondering what he was mumbling about because he looked proud/surprised. 

Just finished watching episode 40 with subs & when GTY said Bai family sends spies to his house my immediate thought was ‘Don’t worry your wife has experience in getting rid of household spies’:joy:

Spoiler

Ha ha.. In this case she employed the stratagems of war.. Divide and conquer. Getting help fr nanny to cause unsatisfaction within the spies network cause a kitchen war and getting rid all of them in one shot.. Very Powerful our general ml:glasses:

BTW, I'd like to see Shu- used in discussion of concubine born children instead of illegitimate. The latter might cause misunderstanding, as it has a connotation that the child is the result of a love affair outside marriage. In fact both concubines and their children are legitimate member of the family, albeit of inferior status. When there's no Di-son in the family, Shu-son can even become the heir. The best example is Sheng Hong, concubine born son, now head of the Sheng family.  

I've been reading the novel, but is it possible for people who watched the raws to do a summary of the episode? Lol i am so excited. I do not like to watch the raws because I have no idea what'd being said, and i like the enjoyment of getting the subs. However I like summaries/recaps because it's a simple run-through of the episode.

I mainly comment on the episodes on Viki and do a review from there, but I've been reading this forum, for about a week now and finally wanted to engaged with you all. A saw a trailer of Minglan walking by QH and telling him to stop naming his kids after her (which is very freaking weird, like wtf dude :sweat:) I also saw how you guys stated that GTY presents the idea of an amicable seperation and Minglan is like "if you do this, I ain't coming back. Let's protect each other and watch one another's back"

These cuteness from GTY and Minglan is wonderful and the fact that GTY does not take a concubine in the future, and just loves Minglan alone is so very comforting. This series has proven to be one of my faves, along with Yanxi Palace.

Speaking of Yanxi Palace lol it is obvious Yu Zheng has a muse in Wu Jinyan. 

Archived