[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spoiler

You should watch and listen epi 40 conversations in details. He admitted to ML that he was determined to marry her since he rescued her from river. When I was watching GTY's second rescue of ML from bandits during first old Madam funeral procession, I thought it was another chance encounter. After hearing his confession to ML, I just realized that GTY joined army but specific one camped near You Yan instead of joining war front to get more achievements (ML even mentioned that), he basically followed ML there.

@Golden Flower

Spoiler

Thanks. I viewed in conversation in 38 between GTY and ML and he did say to ML that he made a decision to marry her after the river rescue. I guess the guy makes his decisions fast, because I thought that their last encounter before the river rescue was when they had a fight at the dessert parlor and he accused her of manipulating QH like a kite. So, he rescues her at the river and she gives him a practical advise about his life and raising his daughter and he decided he wanted to marry her. I thought that was fast turn arround. But anyway he admits his scheming to ML 

All I said was GTY lied to QH that he didn’t know QH’s plan to propose ML again and he also calculated/ considered what QH will do in every steps even when he offered his help to QH as GTY is very good at accessing characters and personalities.

I agree with above GTY is keenly observant 

8 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

You should watch and listen epi 40 conversations in details. He admitted to ML that he was determined to marry her since he rescued her from river. When I was watching GTY's second rescue of ML from bandits during first old Madam funeral procession, I thought it was another chance encounter. After hearing his confession to ML, I just realized that GTY joined army but specific one camped near You Yan instead of joining war front to get more achievements (ML even mentioned that), he basically followed ML there.

@Golden Flower

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks. I viewed in conversation in 38 between GTY and ML and he did say to ML that he made a decision to marry her after the river rescue. I guess the guy makes his decisions fast, because I thought that their last encounter before the river rescue was when they had a fight at the dessert parlor and he accused her of manipulating QH like a kite. So, he rescues her at the river and she gives him a practical advise about his life and raising his daughter and he decided he wanted to marry her. I thought that was fast turn arround. But anyway he admits his scheming to ML 

All I said was GTY lied to QH that he didn’t know QH’s plan to propose ML again and he also calculated/ considered what QH will do in every steps even when he offered his help to QH as GTY is very good at accessing characters and personalities.

I agree with above GTY is keenly observant 

He is also a scholar. He went to a prestige academy and passed the academy exam. He failed the imperial exam because of her brother evil scheme. He suppose to get a top marks in the exam.. So he has a very keen mind

50 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The scene in the novel that they cried off together was after the incident grandma was poisoned. Ml went all out to seek justice for grandma. This spurred gty's confession to ml because he saw ml's love to her grandma. 

Spoiler

No, it's not right after the incident of Grandma being poisoned that  they both cry and make true reconciliation. In that scene only ML cries. It's at the very end after the second palace rebellion and they have their second son that they completely open their hearts to each other.

37 and 38 the Sheng House is getting so much  more fun now that Molan and Linniang are gone. Big Madam was really the funniest with her facial expressions and always falling down when she gets excited. I love her one on one with Princess Ping. She must have waited a long time to say that to Princess Ping. Anyhow, I am going to Miss the girls and the Sheng House minus Molan when they all get married and leave. Hope we get to see visits and drama happening at the Shengs.  

1 hour ago, matrim said:
  Hide contents

No, it's not right after the incident of Grandma being poisoned that  they both cry and make true reconciliation. In that scene only ML cries. It's at the very end after the second palace rebellion and they have their second son that they completely open their hearts to each other.

How they gonna kiss and say no heart's been opened yet.. 

On 1/17/2019 at 10:25 PM, RobinM said:

Question: we have 1, 4, 5, 6 Sheng girls. Where are 2 and 3? 

2nd & 3rd are their brothers CB & CF. The number is in the order of the Sheng siblings. If its a girl she will refered to as Young Miss, its a boy he is Young Master. So the order of SH's children are

1. 1st Young Miss Hualan (Da gu niang)

2. 2nd Young Master Chengbai (Ar ge)

3. 3rd young Master Chengfeng (San ge)

4. 4th Young Miss Molan (Se gu niang)

5. 5th Young Miss Rulan (Wu gu niang)

6. 6th Young Miss Minglan (Liu gu niang)

The number is just the order of siblings in the family regardless their gender

Transcript of GTY's big reveal in EP40 so people can understand why he's so awesome and how sincere he's been in winning ML's hand :love: A lot of the doubts that people had about GTY's scheming are directly clarified through brilliant scriptwriting.

Spoiler

GTY: I know 6th miss has a lot of pent-up frustration. But now I need to let the cat out of the bag instead of sweeping it all under the carpet. It is only logical that we should have a heart-to-heart talk.

ML: Having a HTHT is conversing honestly with a truthful person; but to face someone crafty is being piggishly idiotic. 2nd uncle takes me for a stupid fool?

GTY: How would you know I'm not telling the truth? I.. I.. how did this come about?

ML: It started from when you proposed marriage. You never had the intention to marry my 5th sis right from the beginning. You were aiming at me, am I right?

GTY: Wow! You can even tell! You are indeed the woman that I want (Me: :joy:)

ML: I guessed from when you came over, but it's too late. Our entire Sheng household has fallen into your insidious trap.

GTY: That time, when I saved you from drowning in the river and you advised me to give Rong'er a proper home instead of gallivanting about... From then on, I had this notion in my heart that I must marry you as my wife.

ML: You claim you want to marry me, why didn't you just propose directly? Why did you have to beat around the bush? Just because of this, my 5th sis almost lost her life.

GTY: If I had gone to propose directly, would your grandmother have agreed? To accept a marriage proposal is not easy, but to reject one is extremely simple - all kinds of reasons can be used as an excuse. Furthermore, I was not of the most upright character in the past. Your grandmother is so stubborn that had she refused your father could not have said anything either.

ML: I'm glad you are self-aware.

GTY: Being cognizant of one's self is a virtue.

ML: Then did you know about He household's matters? My grandmother already agreed -

GTY: Your grandmother already agreed to their proposal right?

ML: You knew about it and yet you still came to propose to me. How does this even make sense?

GTY: Eh..to whom you should marry is the household's matters, but whether I should propose or not is my own matter. How's that for logical reasoning? Moreover, even if your brother knew of this, he would have nothing to say. You and the Hes... have no fate!

ML: If it weren't for your obstruction, how could we have no fate?

GTY: That's because of Cao cousin's existence. You two are simply not meant to be.

ML: You even knew about Cao cousin?

GTY: How could I not have known?

ML: That was also arranged by you? How is that possible?

GTY: Since I came back to the capital, I have been sourcing for information regarding your household. I knew that your grandmother was close to the He matriarch. HHW even went to your house so frequently that I had formed some understanding. Later on, His Majesty sent me to battle in his war campaign, so I couldn't meddle directly. Regarding this matter, I had to think of a strategy starting from HHW. Subsequently, I discovered that HHW had a childhood playmate who was even roaming about outside. That night, I was so happy that I couldn't catch a wink of sleep! 

ML: In the end, the Cao household returned due to imperial amnesty?

GTY: This Cao cousin's parents matched her with a soldier's household. They didn't go easy on her; amidst the crying and battling, they refused to let the Caos be enrolled in the amnesty list. I used some silver to buy her freedom and let someone suggest that they should not return to their ancestral home but to go straight to the capital. This Cao cousin did not disappoint me indeed. She pestered HHW until he could not extricate himself. It was only then that I could fight in the war with a peace of mind.

ML: The period of upheaval only lasted a few weeks, Cao household was already in the capital. This matter, only you could have done it. 

GTY: That's right. Cao legacy is in goods shipment; shipping a person is just a simple matter, no?

ML: Aren't you afraid that I would infuriate the Caos and agree to the marriage anyway?

GTY: I am not someone who is easily contented with scruples; naturally, neither are you. You may appear to be outwardly docile and amenable, but actually you easily outmaneuver others. So, I placed the Cao chesspiece here, only because I was far away and couldn't control matters directly. Even if it was just to delay you...even if your household had agreed to the Caos, I would have my own counter strategy.

ML: Stop exaggerating. If it weren't for Wen Yanjing, would you have succeeded?

GTY: I am relentless in my pursuit. Heaven took pity on me and delivered WYJ to my doorstep.

ML: That's heaven warding off evil. 

GTY: Suit yourself. Anyway, I found out about your sis and WYJ's covert meetings. Again, I was so overjoyed that I couldn't sleep for another night! Seriously. I feel that I didn't even have to put so much effort in going to war. This strategy is called harassing the West while attacking the East. In order to obtain a wife, I even had to deploy war stratagems!

ML: This matter, you speak of it so lightheartedly. It actually concerns my sis reputation and the entire Shengs' image! What if there was some mistake? It would all go to ruin!

GTY: That's why I had someone to investigate into WYJ background. If he was a bad egg, he would have been your future bro-in-law and my relative. I would have gotten someone to chase him out of the capital in order to preserve harmony in the Sheng household and prevent him from ruining your reputation.  

ML: You.. you casted such a wide net?

GTY: Not just that. Your father, your Daniangzi, your Rulan sis' temperaments and attitudes, I had them all figured out from Changbai bro. Your father treasured his reputation more than his wife and children; your Daniangzi is muddle-headed and short-sighted; your sis is naïve and lovelorn but cannot shoulder responsibility. I even calculated that your bro would not fall out with me because of this, so I executed my plans with a firm hand. All the elements... star signs; geography; human relations; I could not even miss out on lady luck!

[ML ran away in disbelief]

GTY: Hey... I haven't even finished talking!

ML: What do you treat me as?! A pig in a hunter's net or a goldfish on a fishing line? GTY, you are a scoundrel!

Later on, in EP41, GTY also had a heartfelt confession during the Polo match, which he begged the Empress to organize that made ML agree wholeheartedly to the marriage.

Spoiler

GTY: I wish to know why you refuse to marry me. I don't want to listen to your patronizing words, I want the truth.

ML: I... I'm afraid I can't be a virtuous lady. I am neither dignified nor submissive; I have yet to broaden my perspectives, I might bring shame to your name.

GTY: Seems like you are not being honest.

ML: Your Gu household relations are complex and full of family politics. Someone like me from a simple household, who has not seen much of the world, how could I challenge all your family members?

GTY: Looks like there's some truth in that now. Don't worry, once we get married, we can live apart from them. You don't have to be afraid of such conflicts.

ML: You can even separate the household?

[actually we can already see that he has planned for this all along and was even decorating the new house happily in EP40]

GTY: Yes. By then, if you like to stay in the Marquis household we can do so. If you wish to move elsewhere, you can as well. I dare not say that you will enjoy the best and the finest from marrying me. But I only have one assurance; from now on, I will not let you suffer in silence. 

ML: I have enjoyed life's luxuries since young, why would I be suffering in silence? I do not need a hero to save me like a damsel in distress.

GTY: You ah...you are such an eloquent little liar. You have always been restraining yourself and living in torment since birth. You cannot accept the social customs of children with unequal birth status, yet you always had to be acquiescent. You are obviously multi-talented, but have to live with your head down at all times. You did not dare to steal the limelight, so you found an average household like the Hes.

ML: Steal the limelight? It was because of that that I went through some adversity. You witnessed it first-hand, and what was the outcome? I dislike weaving and embroidery but what could I do? I had to pretend to like all that I disliked. I needed to survive.

GTY: Exactly. You are too understanding. You are smart and clairvoyant so you live on tenterhooks. But deep inside you felt injustice; you were in anguish and distress. You could only pretend to be an ignorant fool, being discrete and conscientious with everything, forcing yourself to be the upstanding 6th miss of Sheng household. I don't wish to see you live in such despair for the rest of your life. I don't dare to promise a perfect marriage but I can convince heaven and earth of one thing; henceforth, whichever station I rise to among the men, you will enjoy equal status among the women. I have admired you for a long time. I hope that you will be willing to count on me and we will spend a lifetime being devoted to each other.

Liang 6th master interrupts: Come and have a polo match with me! I must win you this time!

GTY: Ignore him.

ML: Why? If you ignore him then you can't win the top prize (which is the Empress' personal hairpin, to be bestowed as Gu's bride gift).

GTY: I would surely win.

ML: They have two players, are you sure you can do it?

GTY: I will definitely be able to do it single-handedly.

ML: If we went to the match together, wouldn't it be a resounding defeat for them?

GTY: Great! Let's do it together and beat them senseless!

By then ML had agreed and they were both very happy with each other :heart:

6 hours ago, JoycceeDreamer said:

Why did CB not join the wedding like CF, 6th Liang, and Hualan’s husband? CB was just hiding in the back and not sure what he said at all. 

@hello210 @leeza77 

Spoiler

The guy I’m very front (shortest) is Hulan's husband, Yuan Wen Shao (not CF) who is eldest brother-in-law to GTY. He was the last one to give hardtime to the groom (Molan's Liang Han and Rulan's Wen Yan Jing already took their turn) and GTY and his party pushes him aside and rushed in. Someone from GTY's party said being part of military camp, you're on our side as well. Hulan's husband is GTY's subordinate. CB didn't block and gave a hard time to GTY's party because he was bribed by GTY with a painting the day before the wedding. Thus, he told Xiaotao that it will be against principle if he participates. CB also poetically critizes his brother-in-laws for being harsh and GTY for having spies (which I’m not understanding well). The poem GTY made at the entrance to Sheng house shows that he knows ML’s habit of drinking cold wine at night. That’s why ML said how did he know. (It is hard for me to translate line by line of poem made by GTY and poetic comment made by CB).

CF has been MIA since CL died. 

Archived