[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
Spoiler

Loved it. When granny cried I was moved, she was letting her baby go. It's so hard. She would feel alone-

These bits show the chemistry between GTY and ML, they seem to laugh a lot together. And the way he looks at her, so much love

Trailer for episode 41

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4329584860041443

it looks like in today’s episode they became betrothed. In tomorrow’s episode GTY will send the  dowry & then the marriage

I google translated grandma & Ml convo and what I got was

ML: I am not afraid of him being bad but I am afraid of life/him being too good

Grandma: Nonsense, you had me until now & now you are marrying someone with an indomitable spirit. Good days are just beginning 

correct me me if I am wrong please...

Rulan & Minglan convo was cute

Episode 38 raw has Big Madam turning down QH’s mum

9 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Love how minglan’s real temper has emerged to the surface again. That feisty little girl minglan hasn’t actually gone, she was just sleeping under the calm peaceful older minglan :tears:

6 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

I just want to point out minor error in your post regards to GTY, his father and spear dance. GTY got failed the exam by emperor is not because he went drinking after the exams and criticized imperial scholar.  When he was 12, he told his older brother at the study of their house that emperor punishment of the scholar (forget the name), by not letting him pass the imperial palace exam till after he was 50 for visiting brothels and entertainment centers a lot, was not fair. His older brother then let emperor know about GTY's criticism towards the emperor somehow. 

Thank you for the clarification. You are correct.

However TY's dad had believed what was told him that GTY was drunk and mouthed off and sister in law cried before dad when GTY went to confront him, that her husband was innocent and GTY was bullying her poor sickly husband and the sick brother denied, denied, denied and made it look like it was GTY who was wanting to harm his siblings and cousins. At this time daddy had found out about the "singer he was keeping."  

20 minutes ago, darkphoenix123 said:

Trailer for episode 41

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4329584860041443

it looks like in today’s episode they became betrothed. In tomorrow’s episode GTY will send the  dowry & then the marriage

I google translated grandma & Ml convo and what I got was

ML: I am not afraid of him being bad but I am afraid of life/him being too good

Grandma: Nonsense, you had me until now & now you are marrying someone with an indomitable spirit. Good days are just beginning 

correct me me if I am wrong please...

Rulan & Minglan convo was cute

Episode 38 raw has Big Madam turning down QH’s mum

I got  this too. She was afraid of everything going too well.  I find it sad. ML has a hard life and now she fears being happy and  everything going well.

This is why I think she won't show him his feelings, she is scared of everything changing or him letting her down.

I can understand ML holding back in the beginning and being scared. It's not easy being a woman in that time period. She has also lived a hard life and been let down and humiliated. Once they begin their married life she will slowly see GTY's action instead of empty words.

18 minutes ago, fra8 said:

I got  this too. She was afraid of everything going too well.  I find it sad. ML has a hard life and now she fears being happy and  everything going well.

This is why I think she won't show him his feelings, she is scared of everything changing or him letting her down.

True.  She's been let down by both QH and Dr. He.  Probably doesn't want to get her hopes up that such a great guy wants to marry her.  With QH she was already reaching (according to the social norms) and got burned badly.  The men in her life tends to over promise and under deliver.

In the carriage ride with Grandma, ML was already talking about how she was planning to provide for herself if she never gets married. Both ML and Granny looked so sad.

54 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

Families usually had one same word given to all children of the same generation. For example Sheng family daughters had Lan, sons had Chang (Chang Bai, Chang Feng), Gu family sons had Ting (Gu Ting Ye, Gu Ting Wei...)

Thanks for this info 

OMG, I just watch ep 38 raw. Maybe I was reading into it too much, but during her talk with Rulan, Minglan did seemed a little sad that GTY propose to Rulan. I also love that she can't stand people talking bad about him, like everytime someone mention his bad reputation and bad personality, she just has to correct them and tell them he's a good guy. She was buttering him up so much, Rulan ended up saying: "If you think he's that good, then you marry him." :D so cute =))

The last bit where Big Madam rubbing it in Pingning's face was hilarious. I felt the secondhand embarrassment for Pingning, but Big Madam was so happy I couldn't stop laughing!

7 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

OMG, I just watch ep 38 raw. Maybe I was reading into it too much, but during her talk with Rulan, Minglan did seemed a little sad that GTY propose to Rulan. I also love that she can't stand people talking bad about him, like everytime someone mention his bad reputation and bad personality, she just has to correct them and tell them he's a good guy. She was buttering him up so much, Rulan ended up saying: "If you think he's that good, then you marry him." :D so cute =))

The last bit where Big Madam rubbing it in Pingning's face was hilarious. I felt the secondhand embarrassment for Pingning, but Big Madam was so happy I couldn't stop laughing!

She even said something about GTY not being like others & didn’t mind....I felt petty to have liked that but boy did I like her getting turned down.

Big Madam was happy, forced or not, she was bragging about the 2 daughters of Sheng house getting married

13 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

I think she was. Even if she didn't say anything, I guess she thought he cared about her. But if he proposed to Rulan, it was like he didnt' find her enough for him. And he was one of the three people she would repay with her life.

The sadness wasn't even rational or conscious. It was very subtle the way she showed it with her eyes depite keeping it in control.

On 1/15/2019 at 7:58 PM, nichiwoohee said:

If gty didnt resolve into trickery, grandma would have fought him from marrying minglan. She’d probably make her marry doctor He that instant, or snuck her out of the city. 

But by making cb thinks it was RL, he put the Sheng family in an awkward position, he made it was RL’s fault for getting captured with the scholar, and now that the emperor knew his fav gty already proposed to the Sheng family, if words got out that the bethrotal is cancelled, Sheng’s house would have suffered great embarrassment, not to mention the emperor’s wrath 

Only poor cb got to witness the humiliation of capturing her sister:sweatingbullets:

I also dont have any pity for concubine lin and molan. CL isnt gray, she's black hearted. Grey is molan, scheming for her life, but CL took someone else’s life. Definitely a bad person with no redeeming quality. 

Hide contents

And I think she got off easy, ML’s mom died of childbirth. One of the most excruciating death, CL should have at least suffer more for her wrongdoings

I see some here like RL’s character, I'm leaning on the dislike a bit, I just hate how she always mention illegitimate, knowing her place etc. Her sisterly love is limited

Hide contents

She even admitted by her yielding the Liang family to ML, it will bring ML difficulties. And she said it with no compassion whatsoever. She’s not only spoiled but also entitled. Whenever ML give her something, she always mention how thoughtful of ML and how she knows her place. In her heart she doesnt think of ML as her sister. At least hualan is sincere, RL just think she’s doing a favor by getting along with ML. I dont remember her like this in the novel tho

Archived