Quantcast
Jump to content
rocs25

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Siege in Fog 人生若如初相见

Recommended Posts

On 3/1/2018 at 3:46 PM, tieu yeu nu said:

Does anyone know if any eng subbers have picked this up? If Viki and Dramafever doesn't pick it up I mean.

 

If not I will try to translate myself I guess...I've only been waiting since 2015 for it to air. T_T

I'm starting to sub this series. Ep 1 with english subs is now available here:

 https://productiveprocrastinationsite.wordpress.com/2018/03/05/seige-in-fog-ep-1-eng-sub/

Also, because I'm currently subbing this alone, if anyone is free to give me a hand, even if you don't have any experience subbing dramas/ films, as long as you know some chinese and english, all help is welcome! Just send me a message!

1 hour ago, Hapiangle said:

Can someone enlighten me, why the wife addresses his husband as " lan bo"? I thought his name was yi lian kai? What does lan bo mean?

I believe it's his nickname. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, productiveprocrastinator said:

I'm starting to sub this series. Ep 1 with english subs is now available here:

 https://productiveprocrastinationsite.wordpress.com/2018/03/05/seige-in-fog-ep-1-eng-sub/

Also, because I'm currently subbing this alone, if anyone is free to give me a hand, even if you don't have any experience subbing dramas/ films, as long as you know some chinese and english, all help is welcome! Just send me a message!

I believe it's his nickname. 

Thank you so much for being willing to sub, @productiveprocrastinator  :) I can't speak any Chinese so I won't be of any use but I really hope you get some volunteers to help!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone interested to watch raw

Love so far.  I watched all the 8 eps raw and ep 1 English subbed.  I have a sense that the second brother's wife or girlfriend likes the lead guy.  I feel like she wanted to marry him but he chose to marry the lead girl.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, productiveprocrastinator said:

I'm starting to sub this series. Ep 1 with english subs is now available here:

 https://productiveprocrastinationsite.wordpress.com/2018/03/05/seige-in-fog-ep-1-eng-sub/

@productiveprocrastinator I really admire anyone who subs the dramas, especially this one which is based in the early 1900s, so there are many words which are not familiar to us. So far I’m really confused with what’s going on, and there are so many characters!

 

i agree with someone who commented that the costumes are pretty. Even the army uniforms look nice! Qin Sang is pretty to look at, too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lovehuche said:

If anyone interested to watch raw

Love so far.  I watched all the 8 eps raw and ep 1 English subbed.  I have a sense that the second brother's wife or girlfriend likes the lead guy.  I feel like she wanted to marry him but he chose to marry the lead girl.  

The 2nd bro wife (yan yun) and yi lian kai are childhood friends and they grew up together. 2nd bro likes her, but she likes yi lian kai. Too bad, yi lian kai just treat her as younger sister. Yan Yun's father make her to married 2nd bro. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First 8 episodes: I don't know if it is because of the delayed broadcast or censoring changes, the editing doesn't feel right. There is a choppiness to storyline progression that suggests content or editing issues. In the long previews, it looked like the drama would follow the characters from their adolescent to adult stories. Instead, we are getting the present with the backstory told in flashbacks. I can see how this can be used to drive the pace of the story, but it often leaves me disconnected with why the characters do what they do. Thankfully, quality performances make up for this. 

 

Elvis Han and Sun Yi are awesome leads. While Yi Lian Kai comes off as a Slytherin boy, Qin Sang reminds me of Snowball (minus the aggression and psycho :lol:). Every time Yi Lian Kai and Qin Sang 'face off', I'm always captivated by the emotional tension they can both pound into a scene. They really seem to be going for each others' throats with jabs of pride and disdain, yet they always seem to end up trying to suss out if they actually like each other. And then either left frustrated and/or bewildered at why they do this. 

 

Interesting tit bit: 'Qin Sang' sounds like 'Qing Shang', meaning hurt by love. The Mandarin phonetics conveys an ongoing and deepset sadness to my ears. While I don't think Qin Sang behaves as a victim of her fate, she does carry a sadness in her eyes. And no, I'm sure it's not just Sun Yi, because watching her in another near comedic role in Because of You, there was not one drop of sadness to her expression. 

 

From comments on Chinese forums, the drama plot is much altered from the novel. Probably why it carries a different name. The novel is being translated by Hiding in Plain Sight. Read it here:

 

https://theresanother.wordpress.com/siege-in-fog-迷霧圍城-about/siege-in-fog-books-contents-page/

 

(Credits: Hiding in Plain Sight at https://theresanother.wordpress.com/about/). 

 

The quality of Hiding in Plain Sight's translation is quite good. Any translator who takes that extra step with footnotes to explain cultural nuances is top notch in my books. 

 

6 hours ago, Hapiangle said:

The 2nd bro wife (yan yun) and yi lian kai are childhood friends and they grew up together. 2nd bro likes her, but she likes yi lian kai. Too bad, yi lian kai just treat her as younger sister. Yan Yun's father make her to married 2nd bro. 

 

I don't think it's for certain how Yi Lian Kai feels towards Yan Yun. While I don't think it is love, he does have a special connection with her. He doesn't exactly push Yan Yun away when he should have e.g. when she bites him on the hand and leaves teeth marks. For someone as calculating as Yi Lian Kai, allowing for the evidence of that event smacks of dumb. He sits at the family table for dinner, he resorts to obvious gloves (when he usually doesn't wear any), and it undoubtedly would be noticed by 2nd brother and Qin Sang's discerning eye. Previews have already let on that Yi Lian Kai truly loved Qin Sang from the start, so this makes little sense, knowing that the bite would hurt Qin Sang. But at this stage, who knows. Yi Lian Kai still seems to be in his childish rile-her-up-to-make-her-love-me phase. 

 

I think the only male lead I've seen aware and actively reject 2nd female lead touchy feelies is Ye Hua. Aside from that rare characterisation, most dramas seem to follow the same formula: male lead - regardless of their level of intellect - stands there and just takes the 2nd female lead's advances. And then scream innocence that it meant nothing and that they actually truly care about the 1st female lead. Because heaven forbid they act appropriately at the right moment. To be fair, Yi Lian Kai at this stage doesn't give a flying monkey what Qin Sang thinks about him and other women. As long as his actions get some kind of reaction from her, he seems to have scored. A twisted relationship they certainly have for now. 

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never read the novel so for me, it is not very confusing watching with some flashbacks..yet. I am presently watching it raw altho my mandarin is only at a kindergarten level so will rewatch when it finally gets translated..but there is a part in epi 5 where the second brother's wife Fan Yanyun bit Yi Liankai, I supposed she did it to leave a mark on him so he will be reminded of her bcos she likes him? Or there's something more to their story in the Novel that has to do with her biting him that it should signify something, hoping someone  here can enlighten me on that please.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jewelsc said:

I've never read the novel so for me, it is not very confusing watching with some flashbacks..yet. I am presently watching it raw altho my mandarin is only at a kindergarten level so will rewatch when it finally gets translated..but there is a part in epi 5 where the second brother's wife Fan Yanyun bit Yi Liankai, I supposed she did it to leave a mark on him so he will be reminded of her bcos she likes him? Or there's something more to their story in the Novel that has to do with her biting him that it should signify something, hoping someone  here can enlighten me on that please.

I think Yan Yun bites him because she wanted to release her anger towards him. She is angry he pushed her away while she just want a real hug from him when she is sad (she hug him so tight but she got pushed away).

 

6 hours ago, Nudafu said:

First 8 episodes: I don't know if it is because of the delayed broadcast or censoring changes, the editing doesn't feel right. There is a choppiness to storyline progression that suggests content or editing issues. In the long previews, it looked like the drama would follow the characters from their adolescent to adult stories. Instead, we are getting the present with the backstory told in flashbacks. I can see how this can be used to drive the pace of the story, but it often leaves me disconnected with why the characters do what they do. Thankfully, quality performances make up for this. 

 

Elvis Han and Sun Yi are awesome leads. While Yi Lian Kai comes off as a Slytherin boy, Qin Sang reminds me of Snowball (minus the aggression and psycho :lol:). Every time Yi Lian Kai and Qin Sang 'face off', I'm always captivated by the emotional tension they can both pound into a scene. They really seem to be going for each others' throats with jabs of pride and disdain, yet they always seem to end up trying to suss out if they actually like each other. And then either left frustrated and/or bewildered at why they do this. 

 

Interesting tit bit: 'Qin Sang' sounds like 'Qing Shang', meaning hurt by love. The Mandarin phonetics conveys an ongoing and deepset sadness to my ears. While I don't think Qin Sang behaves as a victim of her fate, she does carry a sadness in her eyes. And no, I'm sure it's not just Sun Yi, because watching her in another near comedic role in Because of You, there was not one drop of sadness to her expression. 

 

From comments on Chinese forums, the drama plot is much altered from the novel. Probably why it carries a different name. The novel is being translated by Hiding in Plain Sight. Read it here:

 

https://theresanother.wordpress.com/siege-in-fog-迷霧圍城-about/siege-in-fog-books-contents-page/

 

(Credits: Hiding in Plain Sight at https://theresanother.wordpress.com/about/). 

 

The quality of Hiding in Plain Sight's translation is quite good. Any translator who takes that extra step with footnotes to explain cultural nuances is top notch in my books. 

 

 

I don't think it's for certain how Yi Lian Kai feels towards Yan Yun. While I don't think it is love, he does have a special connection with her. He doesn't exactly push Yan Yun away when he should have e.g. when she bites him on the hand and leaves teeth marks. For someone as calculating as Yi Lian Kai, allowing for the evidence of that event smacks of dumb. He sits at the family table for dinner, he resorts to obvious gloves (when he usually doesn't wear any), and it undoubtedly would be noticed by 2nd brother and Qin Sang's discerning eye. Previews have already let on that Yi Lian Kai truly loved Qin Sang from the start, so this makes little sense, knowing that the bite would hurt Qin Sang. But at this stage, who knows. Yi Lian Kai still seems to be in his childish rile-her-up-to-make-her-love-me phase. 

 

I think the only male lead I've seen aware and actively reject 2nd female lead touchy feelies is Ye Hua. Aside from that rare characterisation, most dramas seem to follow the same formula: male lead - regardless of their level of intellect - stands there and just takes the 2nd female lead's advances. And then scream innocence that it meant nothing and that they actually truly care about the 1st female lead. Because heaven forbid they act appropriately at the right moment. To be fair, Yi Lian Kai at this stage doesn't give a flying monkey what Qin Sang thinks about him and other women. As long as his actions get some kind of reaction from her, he seems to have scored. A twisted relationship they certainly have for now. 

 

 

So far, I'm still ok with the storyline with flashbacks. I read about 2 chapters of the novel, and there are difference between the drama and the novel and I like those newly added plot in the drama. 

 

The emotions between YLK and QS are intense and I like it so much. Haha. It is like a kind of push-pull. QS is falling in love with him slowly and I think she didn't reliaze it herself. YLK is love in first sight on QS, and I believe he treats her this way after married is part of his plan or conspiracy. Just like Min Hong Yu said, he did not have sex with QS because he doesn't want to have child before his 2nd bro does. I wondered how can he hold back for 2 years while he loves her so much? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to everyone in the forum for their thoughts, analysis, and explanations of the drama episodes. I just finished the episode 1 with subs. (Big Thank You! to the subber & their team!) The episode does feel choppy, and i was confused about what exactly is going on with the warlords situation.  Flashbacks/present day switches are also confusing sometimes.  I'm glad that I can come to Soompi forum to get clarification about what is going on. looking forward to the next episodes!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Thanks for the analysis, guys! I am up to episode 8 and I really really like the interactions between the leads. There are far less angst and anger than I expected. So there are benefits to this flashback style, because it skipped past the unpleasantness and the difficult process of getting the leads to where they are now. I love their relationship so far! They have a very respectful/equal partnership going, where he cares about her and she respects him. So they work well together to present a united front to the family even when they disagree privately. And when they fight, boy! The screen just sizzles. Their words are cutting and honest, and they don't hold anything back. I love Sunyi and Elvis Han's chemistry! But while they fight, the hurt doesn't last and they will come together to work with each other when the time calls for it. They also don't keep anything from each other because they kinda know what the other is thinking.

 

I love love love the female lead/Sunyi! She is so strong and resolute in her ideas - so she doesn't get bullied. But at the same time, I like that she isn't bullish and pigheaded about it - she knows which fights are worth fighting for and withdraws when needed. This is a refreshing change from all the female leads who "fight for what is right" but ends up putting themselves in danger/ messing everything up in the process. Just like when her 2nd sister-in-law was picking on her, Qin Sang was obviously unhappy, but she did not pick a fight and did not get baited/tricked. She only later clarifies with Yi Lian Kai and they exchanged heated words (wow every scene of theirs are amazing to watch). Then she later manoeuvers her 2nd sister-in-law away so skilfully (when the sister-in-law wanted to take care of Lian Kai who kinda fell sick) without offending her. Am very impressed! :D

 

Over here, you have 2 leads who are both very smart and sees every thing - I don't get frustrated by their decisions at all! Which is why it is so lovely to watch them at work, convincing the rest of the family. And whils any typical male lead would have flew off their handles when they see the 2nd male lead (Pan Jian Chi/Qin Sang's ex) interacting with Qin Sang, he did not. He kept PJC by his side, while limiting the time they can spend together and subtly warning him away. 

 

2nd sister-in-law annoyed me, especially when I think she is the weakest link in terms of acting. You should feel for her when you see that her father (the Yi family's advisor) has passed, but her expressions were very unnatural and she looked like she couldn't decide between looking angry or sad and kinda stuck with the middle. She also flares/acts out when she sees Lian Kai caring for his wife. Girl, you are married! And caring for his wife is normal??? But anyway, she doesn't matter because I don't think she will be the focal point of the story.. At least I hope not! Most people are speculating that this drama would show more on what will happen between Yi Lian Kai, Qin Sang and Pan Jian Chi. 

 

Loving this show! I cannot wait for tonight! And to more fights between the leads. :D Because they aren't your typical burning bridges kinda fights. I think they actually grow closer/get to kmow each other more when they fight! :

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jayyepeee Thanks for your analysis! Can't wait for subs! Let us know more after you've watched this week's episodes. 

 

Spoiler

Rescue scene in episode 13: What did he say to her when he hugged her? 

 

Edited by lovelyserene
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lovelyserene said:

 

 

  Hide contents

Rescue scene in episode 13: What did he say to her when he hugged her? 

 

He asked her to hug him tightly as Yan Yun is watching them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lovelyserene said:

 

  Hide contents

Rescue scene in episode 13: What did he say to her when he hugged her? 

 

 

Episode 13 is already out. And this thread does not state "no spoilers". I will leave this comment as is:

 

YLK says: "Hold me tight...Yan Yu is watching."

 

It's actually a fabulous scene for it's multiple layers. 

 

YY is annoyed that YLK runs to QS.

 

YLK is happy to see QS, so I think he genuinely loves that fact she is there and he gets to hold her. It helps that it helps his front. From his POV, I guess it's achieving 2 birds with 1 stone. Don't think your Mrs feels the same mate.

 

QS at first seems shocked and momentarily touched that YLK rushes to hug her. Then realises YLK is using her as a front to avoid the suspicions that there is something going on between YLK and YY. On the surface, QS lightly thumps and sobs a "why, why?" in YLK's arms, which to the outside world may look like a wife's frustration yet relieved tears on finding her husband safe. It's not until QS cries at the end "...why does it have to be me?" that what is actually being expressed is her despair at being used and hurt this way again. I like how despite being obscure enough not to give anything away, it manages to still strongly convey: "Why do you keep on torturing me this way?". Fabulous scene editing with the various angles of expression. I love how YLK and QS statements mirror each other, in that "hold me tight" and "why?" sounds potentially lovey dovey, then "Yan Yu is watching" and "why does it have to be me" flips the first statement on it's head. 

 

No matter how YLK truly feels about QS, this 'performance' followed by "This is not the first time you've acted as a front, why be bothered by it now?" is downright cruel. I question the need to be that cruel. No matter what games YLK feels he needs to play,  there are some lines you just don't cross. When behind the closed doors of his own bedroom, if YLK feels that's the way to convince QS to love him, he sure has senseless way of showing it.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nudafu said:

 

 

No matter how YLK truly feels about QS, this 'performance' followed by "This is not the first time you've acted as a front, why be bothered by it now?" is downright cruel. I question the need to be that cruel. No matter what games YLK feels he needs to play,  there are some lines you just don't cross. When behind the closed doors of his own bedroom, if YLK feels that's the way to convince QS to love him, he sure has senseless way of showing it.

Just like he said to Min Hong Yu, both himself and QS like knifes, when they interact, they only have sparks. If he become a cloth, he will get more hurt by QS's 'knife'. 

It's so sadden to see YLK get hurt by QS and poor little boy talk to his mother. 

It's so annoying to see Yan Yun keep on bugging on him even he keep on pushed her away and emphasized that she is his sis in law. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you@Hapiangle and NudafuI like reading all of your analyses! 

 

That hug scene...awww poor QS! 

 

Episode 9: Breakfast gone wrong! :( She made him breakfast, but what did he say that upset her? 

Episode 12: Why talk about an offspring? 

Episode 14: Why did she want to leave him?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish someone does a recap of each episode.  Dying to understand what their conversations are about.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, lovelyserene said:

Episode 9: Breakfast gone wrong! :( She made him breakfast, but what did he say that upset her? 

Episode 12: Why talk about an offspring? 

Episode 14: Why did she want to leave him?

 

There must be different versions of episodes, because I can't find the scenes for 9 and 12.

 

The most significant scene talking about offspring between the leads is the one where QS vows never to give YLK children.

 

The start of this particular husband and wife skirmish: a rare peaceful interlude between the two. YLK shows QS photos of himself as a child. QS looks up with a smile and notes that despite being older, YLK still carries a childish air about him. YLK then scoffs uncomfortably that hey! only his mother says that about him. She then asks to see a photo of his mother. YLK answers that all photos of his mother had been burnt and there isn't anything left of her. This was a point blank lie that would mean consequences. 

 

YY realises that YLK had lied to QS about there being nothing left of his mother. In a spiteful act, YY takes YLK to see MHY. QS realises not only has YLK allowed MHY live in a house within the family villa, he gave an embroidered image of his mother to MHY. Burn! I don't know what YLK was thinking. 

 

In their bedroom that night, YLK knows that QS knows and tries to suss out her reaction. QS rather cuttingly says that MHY can take the responsibility for children now, so she can be left in peace. I think it's her way of pressing the point that she does not care about YLK. She would only react and get jealous if she did care. She finishes by screaming that she would never have YLK's children. 

 

Message: don't lie to your wife.

 

If it is the end of episode 14, I'd say QS is leaving because she's had enough of YLK. The abduction fake hugging scene was truly the end of her tether. Well, it would be mine too. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, lovelyserene said:

Thank you@Hapiangle and NudafuI like reading all of your analyses! 

 

That hug scene...awww poor QS! 

 

Episode 9: Breakfast gone wrong! :( She made him breakfast, but what did he say that upset her? 

Episode 12: Why talk about an offspring? 

Episode 14: Why did she want to leave him?

Epi 9: YLK asked her not to border who he will be meeting. Actually that is the first time she cooked, and she get mad because she is trying to get close/ be good to him by cooking him meal, but he doesn't border about that.

Epi 12: QS said she's glad that Min Hong Yu if MHY be his 'mistress' because she can have his child. YLK is so so hurt.. poor boy...

Epi 14: because she is angry YLK was kidnapped with YY, she tot that both of them have 'something'.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...