[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Siege in Fog 人生若如初相见

rocs25

18 hours ago, rosierosie said:

I think what she meant is that she would not choose him knowing how her love for him turns out unhappy. She wouldn't want to follow a path of pain and suffering. And she would listen to her sound, which can be interpret for YLK. 

Sigh sad ending. But what did YLK meant a out the red wine that both last one for frozen, and QS wouldn't love in pain??

@rosierosie I actually have the same question as you on this - I do not understand Mandarin so I had to rely on the English subtitles but I am pretty sure that I am missing something in translation or the editing turned out very bad on this.  I hope that at some point they will release an unedited version because that probably will help us flesh out the story.

The actress who played Qin Sang (Su Yin) I have to say did a good job on the following: she evolved physically from a bratty, spoiled, "woe is me" princess to a strong, calm, measured woman who can look people straight in the eye and speak without being defensive.  Via her clothes, her posture, her hair and her accessories, Qin Sang demonstrated the evolution of her emotional maturity, and Liankai contributed to this because of his unconditional love for her.  For all of Liankai's faults, unconditionally loving someone was not one of them, and he had the key to the door to Qin Sang's heart - he just had to shake the rust out of the lock and push the door open, as he ultimately did in episode 21 when he thought that they would both die and he laid his vulnerabilities and heart out in the open.

There were signs in the early episodes that Qin Sang started to fall for Liankai, started to question the playboy facade that he so effortlessly and smoothly presented, but the editing was so choppy you missed it the first time you ran through the episodes.  Only after you watch a second and third time do you start to put the pieces together.  Qin Sang was too insistent her heart was dead, too insistent that she did not care what Liankai did... indifference does not generate the type of emotion that these two generated in each other.  And, whether she realized it or not, she did love Panchi in her own way but they did not generate this type of combustion, and she viewed him more as an escape route from her mother's ambitions than as a partner in building a life together.

At the end, I admired the way Qin Sang gazed into Panchi's eyes with such equanimity because he is a memory of long ago and that is it.  While, he is stuck on what-might-have-been, she has moved on; he thought that he could return and claim her heart again since Liankai is gone.  But the problem is Panchi was a paper cut in her life and Liankai had the ability to shatter her heart, and he did when died.

The end is the beginning and the beginning is the end - Qin Sang's journey to loving Liankai started out at the train station and her seeing him for the last time before he died ended at the train station too.  The journey of love for Qin Sang came full circle, and the memories that they made and shared, it loops and loops and hurts and hurts.  In order for her to survive, to live on, she must bury her memories and forget them until they meet again in another life.

As I watched this drama, Qin Sang's quote in episode 3 seems to capture this drama's theme: "For some things, if you are late for once, you are late for the rest of your life."  Panchi was too late and ironically, so was Qin Sang.  It took her almost three years in her marriage before she recognized Liankai's devotion and love because of her bitterness and stubborn personality, and once she recognized that love and returned it, she was forever playing catch-up and never quite caught up.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@rosamundekingsley99_stv girl ur name is so long lol!!

You explained it so smoothly and nicely. For Pianchi, he was a "what if" love because he couldn't love her and fight for the country at the same time. For YLK, he is willing to fight for both, even if he knew he is going to suffer one way or another. 

On 3/24/2018 at 5:01 PM, jewelsc said:

Ok..u have given me another reasons for not reading the novel atall..I think I will just stick with the drama whether it has a HE or not..chinese authors/writers tend to love writing sad ending or open ending or side stories..:wacko:

@jewelsc the novel is still worth reading.  It provides background and context that the drama by itself cannot.  And we should not judge the novel's characters by our standards today - for the standards back then, this amount of in-family feuding over power and privilege and money was not uncommon.  It is not that uncommon today either.

On 3/24/2018 at 6:14 PM, rosierosie said:

please don't let that be true. LK and QS belong together!

@rosierosie  LK and QS belong together -  as Qin Sang's father quotes an old saying in China - "It takes ten years to be given a fate of staying in a ship together/It takes a hundred years to obtain a fate of sleeping on the same bed/If you're fated, you will meet even if you're thousands of miles apart/If you're not fated, you wouldn't get to hold hands even if you're just standing face to face" but the catch is that there are no promises as to how long fated couples can stay together.  Remember, sometimes, once if you're late, you are late forever.

On 3/27/2018 at 11:03 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

The family dynamic in this show is definitely the highlight of this drama... It's been a while since I've watched anything with an intergenerational clan living under one roof especially during war time. The drama has the usual C drama editing issues but all that stuff that goes on around the dinner table is still some of the best parts of this drama. All the underlying issues get played out there. The tensions are palpable but the acting especially from the leads is right on the money.

It's sort of frustrating watching QS doing her glass half empty shtick. Sure she's been embittered by her experiences with PJC and being forced to marry into a prominent family. Obviously some of it is for PJC's benefit to show that she's moved on and become more worldly wise but it is very frustrating to see the push-pull played out in this fashion. For a normally intelligent and highly driven young woman she can be rather slow on the uptake. Even with all the hints. The reality is that things could be a lot worse for her. But I don't think it's all about intelligence. Her heart is completely closed off and she chooses to see what she wants to see. I suppose Lan Po doesn't do himself any favours although he is trying. For one, YLK could have already imposed himself on her but clearly he's a closet romantic idealist. And sure he toys with her but he can also be very sweet. Yes, he can be childish but it's his way of protecting himself in a marriage where he thinks the love part is a one-way street from his end.

@40somethingahjumma I was with you too originally when I ran through the first 50 episodes in one run and when I watched the episodes as the English subtitles came out, but upon watching the episodes a second and third time, my opinion evolved.  Yes, she was bitter and she had closed off her heart and mind to any other possibilities, but there were glimpses that she started to appreciate Liankai but did not trust the thoughts of her heart because of her past experience with Panchi.  And, I personally felt that she was constantly trying to get Liankai's attention when she misunderstood the scope of his relationship with the madam who lived in his mother's house.  For example, she asked Liankai if he did not want to know who her ex was, and she stated that she wondered how it would be to be truly loved after she saw Liankai's mother's tapestry portrait.  There were such subtle hints built throughout the first 21 episodes that watching it piece meal, I missed the clues.  This drama was definitely written more like a book than a drama - I just wish the editing had been more coherently executed.

On 4/19/2018 at 11:46 AM, Hapiangle said:

Yes, I believe she still have his child.

I've finished watch all the episodes. It was a sad ending as expected. I'm quite disappointed with the rush ending. I don't mind it's a sad ending, but I don't understand why they need it a rush to end it. A lot of scene is like a chop and a cut, cut and paste here and there. 

@Hapiangle It happened with The King's Woman and it happened with Siege in Fog too - the endings are awful because they are chopped up and rushed.  Most historical cdramas do very well until the mid point and then the last third becomes a mess because the ending is so rushed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/3/2018 at 1:10 AM, nash2y said:

I also dont know his motive. but YLK only loves Qin Sang in the novel . 

Here is the excerpt / glimpse from the novel and the translations, all credit goes to translator 12  from the Meraki Translations.   the translations itself only up to chapter 23 and still ongoing :):)

It is revealed that YLK slept with second sis in law from his conversation with Min Hong Yu :) 

Yi Liankai chuckled derisively before taking the cigarette from between his lips and flicking it into the crystal ashtray, saying, ‘You were the one who offered to work for me in the first place; I never forced you. You blame me for being ruthless and forcing Yi Lianshen’s wife to die^, damned if I know why. You’ve been fudging the truth about your past dealings with Yi Lianshen so I’ve played dumb as well. Are you seriously finding fault with17 me because of his wife?"

Min Hongyu took a deep breath then but her voice softened slightly as she said, ‘I used to think he had no conscience, but who would have thought you’re even more ruthless than he is? That Er Sao of yours was carrying your own flesh and blood. Leaving aside the despicable18 seduction of your own sister-in-law, that was your own child you wouldn’t even spare19…’ Before she could finish speaking, there was a pa sound as Yi Liankai slapped her hard. It had enough force in it to cause a red palm mark to bloom on Min Hongyu’s alabaster cheek, the imprint of his fingers leaving instant weals. She bit the corner of her mouth, but refused to cry and only glared at him.

Hi, 

I'm looking in all the internet, but i still haven't found the complete novel. >. <

Do you know where can i find it?.

I must say that, YLK is WAYYYY different from the drama. The character in the drama is a little bit quiet, likes to think too much, and cherish his love a lot more. In the novel, at first (i found just until chapter 13 u.u) he is so crazy like had a mental disorder, also was a bully, HE DARED TO TOUCH QS! U.U and also got his second brother's wife pregnant. The hell is this. 

I think i love way more the novel.

But help me find the complete novel PLEASEEEE >. <

9 hours ago, Carsten Lovekiky said:

Hi, 

I'm looking in all the internet, but i still haven't found the complete novel. >. <

Do you know where can i find it?.

I must say that, YLK is WAYYYY different from the drama. The character in the drama is a little bit quiet, likes to think too much, and cherish his love a lot more. In the novel, at first (i found just until chapter 13 u.u) he is so crazy like had a mental disorder, also was a bully, HE DARED TO TOUCH QS! U.U and also got his second brother's wife pregnant. The hell is this. 

I think i love way more the novel.

But help me find the complete novel PLEASEEEE >. <

@Carsten Lovekiky Translator 12 has a new website - https://theresanother.wordpress.com/ - the entire novel is translated here and well worth reading.  This Chinese novelist is really about peeling back the different layers of onion and providing an emotional gut punch.  Both the drama and the novel should be treasured in their own ways - also, the novel is more realistic to the times of that in-between era between Mao and the end of the monarchy.  Unfortunately though, most of the drama watching public probably would not have accepted such brutal and ruthless characters so they had to soften it which is why the secondary characters were probably brought more to life in the drama.

Additionally, Translator 12 has provided a lot of great Chinese history and background.

I was sick over the weekend and stumbled across this drama (not a good way to stumble on a real hit drama - I ended up rewatching teehee). I'll try to keep this short but meh.. these are my worthless two cents on the drama: 

I am totally in love with the setting of this drama; the actors and the costumes are just amazingly well picked. Due to the nature of it being a 'based off a novel' type of drama, I did expect to be jumping in for quite a roller-coaster ride but I didn't expect how intense it would have been until my feet was halfway into the waters. 

All set aside, I don't really want to touch on the family feud. I understand how YLS totally broke down seeing as he seems to be the most emotional of them in the drama and the truth hits him like an invisible cannonball. He did a lot of bad things, but I couldn't hate him. His love for his family is portrayed deeper than the other two brothers.

As for YLK.. his character is of wonders. At first I thought he's just a genius waiting for the time to shine, but throughout the drama it seems like he was never interested in the throne because he trusts his brothers will do well without him. His patience and love for QS is almost hurtful to watch. He had all the patience to wait for her to slowly turn her head to him, to slowly ease herself to be next to him and do anything to not say why he's doing all this to her. I think this must be difficult to endear, especially when he had hand-picked her himself and was already totally in love with her long before their first night as husband and wife. Very admirable in a gentlemanly way. He watches QS from a distance and studies her emotions with a side-glance; how she got scared and hid behind PJC, how she cried because of YY and how terrified she was during the funeral processions. QS has always been too cold to realise the small gestures YLK did to show that he cares. Can't really blame her, she wasn't over PJC when they got married.

QS's character has the most development in the whole drama. In the beginning of the drama, it was mentioned that she did not leave their house but suddenly she decided to follow her husband in death and forced herself up the mountain to see him. Then she became braver as the story moves on, up to the point she could dress up as a soldier and point a gun to YLS. She turned from a fragile housewife to a brave modern woman she had always wanted to be in her high school days. Perhaps YLK had some contributions to her change, as he himself is courageous and faces death sentences as if he's in for a gamble. PJC's return into her life is kind of essential to YLK and her relationship. She was abandoned and hence, was left to no closure on her past love and the pain from it never ceased as she carried on with her marital life with YLK. She constantly thinks of how things could have been different and the man in front of her could be PJC. When PJC barged back into her life, she finally realizes that she has a ring on her finger (the bathtub scene) and its time to finally regain her consciousness and end this chapter of her life with him. So it makes sense then that she finally had a good look at her own husband and his constant change of moods.

Though YLK seems to have the gist that PJC is her past love of whom she will run to, he is torn between keeping her or letting her go for her own happiness. He wants her happy but at the same time, he cannot live on without her, even if its just to occasionally smell her addictive scent. There were so many instances where YLK just closes his eyes and takes in her scent that shows just how much he loves her. His confession at the flower garden was more heartbreaking than touching. He had been keeping it in him for so long and his emotions finally burst on the fright that she will leave him forever. (Took him over 2 years to burst that out, bravo!) Since QS has finally closed her chapter with PJC, the confession made her head to finally turn to the right guy. But if only it had been a little early.

At this point of their lives, they had a short-termed happiness which then quickly ends as turbulence hits them again and again like a shower of never-ending arrows from hell that didn't stop until it killed him. For all the brotherly love from the drama, I couldn't blame YLK for not leaving his brother behind in the battlefield, but at the same time I blame him for leaving QS and their child to be a widow and an orphan in his expense. As a future dad, shouldn't you take care of yourself better? As the only candidate as heir to the Yi Family, I could almost shoot YLK at his knees and drag him home with QS on that fateful day. Of course, I wouldn't expect him to come out unscathed, but I did expect him to fall back with the only army they have left and bring his brother's dead body home. Isn't it just bad strategy to stay on and fight to death? It would be better to fall back, replan and do something about it in the future. For a drama of which its whole length was used on strategists, that last scene was acting against any good strategy and we witness the fall of two heirs of the Yi Family in one sitting. The ending was heartbreaking, seeing QS being dragged away from her husband's voluntary fall in war and their last moment being him shooting to the very grounds she's standing on just to force her to leave. 

That being said, the scene of her re-meeting (again) PJC says a lot. She said she's forgotten YLK to live on, and yet the name YLK she will never forget. After yet again rejecting PJC (man, just go away..can't you see yet that your chapter with her is over?) QS could still boldly walk away from him as if nothing matters. The scene of YLK and her drinking the wine in front of YLS comes to mind where she said 'hope you'll remember' while YLK said to her 'hope you'll forget' and they cheered on the drinks they never managed to swallow. YLK till the end protected QS and wants her to forget him and live on. He was the most devoted and patient lover I have ever seen portrayed in such a twisted way ever. He's devoted years of wait to make her willingly be in his arms and yet will do anything to make her leave him when danger comes. 

Moral from YLK-QS: if you love someone so much, you have to let them go. YLK struggled to let her go, but in the end shot at her feet to force her departure. Same as QS too, she'd do anything to be with him even if it means death, but in the end she understood he had to stay behind. In the end, she's forgotten bits and pieces of him to live on because she knew YLK would've wanted her to do that, just like he said when he was going to drink the wine. "Yi Lian Kai, this name, I still remember.." Forgetting him is also because she loves him. 

Moral from PJC-QS: When you're late for something very important, its too late to go back. QS's heart was shattered into a million pieces, I think even if she didn't end up marrying YLK, there's a very thin chance she would have accepted PJC again.  At the ending scene where a hopeful PJC asked QS about the flute sound, she said she'd rather live with the flute sound alone. Rather meant she'd rather have not met him at all. 

enough about the drama! 

NOVEL TIME: 

I watched the drama first before reading the novel. At first I was being skeptical and hesitated on this. Sometimes novel-adapted dramas are just not as good as its novel and I would be left feeling 'ahh they should have added this scene..' by the time I read the book. HOWEVER, I was left in a shocking revelation when I read the novel. To summarise the main points, I'll just well.. just points: 

1. YLK is way more rude, demanding and stubborn in the book. He would take anybody's life as if he's throwing away clothes. I was utterly shocked at this huge gap in temperament (and we thought YLK in the drama was too much? heh, look at this one). From the beginning of the book, he has caught QS in his arms and forced himself on her. This actually makes more sense with his whole moody personality of not knowing how to take care of a woman's heart. He seeks enjoyment with the wife he married out of love, even if its without her consent and yet made it really clear he's just enjoying life and she's in his life. In the novel, from the moment he met the adult QS, he'd personally plotted to lead QIn Family into bankruptcy, and then force her hand in marriage and also he deliberately made PJC stayed close so he could find fault in QS! His persona is too much to swallow; he is way more gentler in the drama. 

2. QS is heartless! I almost can't believe what's going on. Your husband is so into you, he can't take his eyes (or hands) off of you and yet you think he's treating you bad? Wait, what? And she'd even aborted a child of theirs when she knew she was pregnant. Its just well too obvious that she's just feeding YLK more reasons to shout at her at any opportunity. She's portrayed way more heartless and way colder than we have been watching in the drama. She's so fragile, she gets sick all the time too.  

3. Romance development turns so confusing and idle at the same time. YLK basically begged QS to keep their child and finally decided to treat her better. His love confessions were almost like a passing note rather than emphasis and QS takes it just as that. Though actions sure do more than words in this novel, but it was almost frustrating how he hides his emotions and hopes QS catches up. But right when she almost catches up to his emotional side, he throws a tantrum or something happened and he has to handle that first. After going round and round in circles, YLK made everyone realised how much he loves QS, but QS has been very vague till the very end. Till the very end YLK treats QS so badly, I feel like strangling him. Instead of making QS leave him with PJC safely, he missed a shot to kill QS as she left, saying he intended to kill her. He was going to kill her... I was beyond shocked at his temperament. 

4. There were way more abuses going on in the novel than in the drama. I do understand how they have to tone it down for general public to accept the drama as it is. To be honest, just reading about it makes me feel bad. YLS's character and his torturing means in the book looked like it was written from hell itself. I couldn't hate YLS in the drama, but I certainly can shoot him in the head in the book. Though I actually am glad they killed MHY; I hated her so much in the book. 

In one of the most important twist of events, I'm utterly GLAD they changed how YLS and YLK died! In times of great chaos, how in the world can you have a brotherly fight on top of a high wall and end up dying because you fell down?! How heroic! A great strategist and his soldier brother didn't give a damn about war, they just want to kill each other because of money that YLK didn't want to give. I totally didn't see it coming. I would have thought YLK would do anything to be with QS seemingly since they had very little bliss together in the book that their feelings for each other was still very vague and was never spoken out.

On the most touching part of the book that they could have inserted as a narrative in the drama: ..during the time YLK was lying on the floor and dying, he looked at the sky and the blue color reminded him of a dress QS worn. The falling snow touched his cheek and he thought 'will QS be feeling cold?' And that was his last thought before his last breath. 

OVERALL: 

The drama and the novel are both enjoyable in their own ways. In the drama, we gain some satisfaction of their love confessions being accepted, a bit of marital bliss and feelings being sorted out. In the novel, it explains more of how closed QS world is; she wasn't told of much about Yi Family matters nor war matters; she simply tries to live her life at her best. It wasn't surprising how she found it shocking to know how scheming and hurtful her husband could be, and was even more shocked that all the things he's done was to be with her or to protect her (simply because he's in love with her - and she doesn't get that). In my opinion, the book and the drama looks like it compliments each other; almost like a side story to each other. It is a weird way of making a 'novel-adapted drama' but I enjoyed it very much. I love both the drama and the book. It wouldn't have been satisfying without either of them; looks like they have to be side-by-side to truly understand the characters and the events that's happened.

And the love YLK has for QS; that's something that will linger in my head for a long while. 

@serre Love your post!!! You expressed everything so well. The scene where QS  and YLK drink the wine was so sad and bittrsweet for me because you can tell how much YLK loves her and want to save QS  and let her live instead of him. 

Now I'm gonna go back and search that scene. This is one of my fav drama in a while.

4 hours ago, rosierosie said:

@serre Love your post!!! You expressed everything so well. The scene where QS  and YLK drink the wine was so sad and bittrsweet for me because you can tell how much YLK loves her and want to save QS  and let her live instead of him. 

Now I'm gonna go back and search that scene. This is one of my fav drama in a while.

Thanks! That wine drinking scene was so sad, I was just hoping neither of them will die with every glass they took T_T YLK really didn't want her to take even one glass, but what could he do in the end? He really loves QS a lot and in the end let her do it anyway. I think even if I will have maybe another fave drama, this one I will never forget.  

the wine drinking scene killed me.  The words that both YLK and QS said to each other and the heartbreaking music in the background, everything about that scene was so beautiful and it hurt to watch but I like to watch it because you can see how much they love each other and how much it hurt QS to see YLK pushing her away when he wants to go back to his 2nd brother.  I think she knows she gonna lose him after that scene so that's why she's so unwilling.  But it was too late, their fate end at the moment.  

• 9 months later...

@jennien @serre @rosierosie @rosamundekingsley99_stv @Katrina Abdul Talib

Hello all! Hahaha. Can we have a gathering here in this chat, more than 9 months after this show has ended? I have something to announce - I know the reason why YLK decided to go into the battlefield and fight alongside his brother at the end of the drama (instead of going to live happily with QS). 

What actually happened was that YLK had already ingested the poison-filled wine (when YLK and QS were forced to play the poison-wine roulette on YLS's orders) and he knew that he was going to die. So all he could do was to send QS on her way, thinking that he could possibly be alive while fighting for the future of Jiang Zuo. How did I know this? Because when he joined YLS on the battlefield, when YLS asked him to leave so that the Yi family will have an heir, YLK told YLS that there weren't any miracles/it wasn't fate at work. He was just thankful that the snow froze the last two glasses of wine so that QS never has to find out the truth (that he has taken in the poisoned wine). This is why there is no reason not to fight alongside his brother. (I had to rewatch this twice to understand what happened because the moment passed so fast). This was why YLS stopped trying to prevent YLK from fighting alongside him (because he understands that his brother will die anyway) - so he said to YLK that he will use his life (YLS's) to return all the ones that he has owed and began to turn his head to their enemies.

Knowing this detail just made YLK's character so much more amazing. One might think that his love for his brother/war was greater than his love for QS and their child - but the fact that he chose to 'fight' in order to protect QS from the truth (and reality of seeing someone she loves die in her arms) makes their love so much more beautiful. And his astuteness during these last moments really amazed me. He decided to go to his brother to extend moral support - precisely because he knew that Sixth Uncle had lost and that was the reason Murong Chen has the opportunity to kill all the way to where they were. It was very likely that he knew that YLS was fighting a losing battle, so he decided to die alongside his brother. 

I watched the show when it first aired (after waiting more than 2 years for it), but did not finish because their constant adversities gave me anxiety. But rewatching the show now, and finally finishing it, has given me further appreciation for the show. This show has been beautifully crafted, meticulously written, very well-executed, and amazingly performed. This ensemble of people really brought this show to life and the society (the times, the mannerisms, the chaos) was depicted so very vividly. Every actor/actress embodied their characters very well and their motivations were portrayed so amazingly. What was on the surface, in the undercurrents, yet to be revealed, were all so wonderfully shown. Someone mentioned that the family dynamics during the dining scenes were the most interesting. I absolutely agree. I remember the scene where YLK sat in his seat while wearing his full uniform (including the gloves). You have the Old Master's puzzlement and anger at his son's disrespect and insistence on wearing gloves at the dining table. You can feel YLK's unease because he did not want Yan Yun's bite on his hand to be discovered. You can sense Yan Yun's panic and anger at YLK. You can hear QS taking the fall for YLK by saying that the mark was because of her - she was already used to covering for her husband's many "misdeeds" and playboy ways anyway (even if the person it is with is her sister-in-law). You have YLS's suspicion (he can tell that YLK was lying) and disapproval (what has YLK done to make QS angry again). You can also tell that YLY sees it all - and understood that this was perhaps a situation between YLK, YY, and QS. His wife was just worried - the family is at odds with each other again. And this dynamics was just the beginning - in the later episodes, these characteristics and dynamics were further amplified (YY's anger and YLS's suspicion eventually consumes them). This show is brilliantly written, and the shifting dynamics between each character has been captured so very subtly, but each detail is not to be missed because it is part of a larger picture and puzzle. How we thought the Old Master had killed his brother - only to have that turn on us. And how the "truth" of YLS's birth unravelled. Even down to how the Murong family had originally planted the seed of doubt. And Teacher Fan/Advisor Fan. I was very puzzled at the beginning and a little skeptical of his "reputation" as the smartest plotter in Jiang Zuo. Because he died early in the drama, we have yet to see how great he was. But I truly appreciated his brilliance through the end of the show - he really was a smart man. But no one really could have prevented the tragedy of the Yi family. That seed has been planted too many years ago.

I fell in love at the start of the show due to the leads' fiery chemistry. Every fight they had with each other was a spectacle. Each insult they hurled at each other cut deep and lodges specifically where it hurts the most - because they truly understand each other (yet they do not/failed to see the love they had for each other). Towards the back, I truly appreciate the plotting and mechanisms and how YLK truly had luck and ability on his side. What disappointed me was that, for all that the fortunes had "blessed" YLK and Murong Feng (youngest master of Murong), their lives had been cut short too early. They had barely begun to burn bright!! I want to see more "greatness" before their inevitable fall.. Every character served their purpose in the show, and everyone were so very smart in their own ways. There were no foolish decisions in the show - only pieces of a puzzle we have yet to understand. YLS's "senseless" decision to kill Murong Feng that did not make sense at that time? It was all a well-calculated plan to allow him to gain power elsewhere. 

@rosierosie Glad you liked reading my posts. :DAnd yes. This entire storyline is heartbreaking. Rewatching it just kinda reaffirms the fact that the tragedy was inevitable and that the Yi boys will eventually fight among themselves. It began with the father's favouritism of his wives and hence his children, Teacher Fan's choice of disciple, the factors and people in each boy's life that tries to set them against each other, the shifting public sentiment, down to Yan Yun's love for YLK and YLS's suspicious nature. Add in external threats, and it is a recipe for disaster. The drama writers made use of the source material excellently! And QS!! I am glad the writers didn't try to tear them apart after they got together. They were resolute in their love for the other and trusted each other implicitly in their decision-making. YLK saying YY's child was his? QS knows it is all part of his ploy to keep her alive. News of engagement with Lieutenant Yao's only daughter? QS knows that it was all to get Yao to support YLK. Because these two were truly intelligent and rational leads. I don't think you get to see this dynamic in dramas very often. When the rest of the household is devolving, QS is rational and constantly tries to think her way out and for the good of the family. YLK appears to be unperturbed, but you know he is only bidding his time and waiting for the best moment to strike. When YLK did not want to meet Murong Feng to discuss the possibility of collaboration and wanted to drag it out, QS didn't question the wisdom of his decision but helped think of ways to carry out his wishes. This is what partnership in marriage looks like! :')

On 3/22/2019 at 4:40 AM, jayyepeee said:

Hello all! Hahaha. Can we have a gathering here in this chat, more than 9 months after this show has ended? I have something to announce - I know the reason why YLK decided to go into the battlefield and fight alongside his brother at the end of the drama (instead of going to live happily with QS). 

What actually happened was that YLK had already ingested the poison-filled wine (when YLK and QS were forced to play the poison-wine roulette on YLS's orders) and he knew that he was going to die. So all he could do was to send QS on her way, thinking that he could possibly be alive while fighting for the future of Jiang Zuo. How did I know this? Because when he joined YLS on the battlefield, when YLS asked him to leave so that the Yi family will have an heir, YLK told YLS that there weren't any miracles/it wasn't fate at work. He was just thankful that the snow froze the last two glasses of wine so that QS never has to find out the truth (that he has taken in the poisoned wine). This is why there is no reason not to fight alongside his brother. (I had to rewatch this twice to understand what happened because the moment passed so fast). This was why YLS stopped trying to prevent YLK from fighting alongside him (because he understands that his brother will die anyway) - so he said to YLK that he will use his life (YLS's) to return all the ones that he has owed and began to turn his head to their enemies.

Knowing this detail just made YLK's character so much more amazing. One might think that his love for his brother/war was greater than his love for QS and their child - but the fact that he chose to 'fight' in order to protect QS from the truth (and reality of seeing someone she loves die in her arms) makes their love so much more beautiful. And his astuteness during these last moments really amazed me. He decided to go to his brother to extend moral support - precisely because he knew that Sixth Uncle had lost and that was the reason Murong Chen has the opportunity to kill all the way to where they were. It was very likely that he knew that YLS was fighting a losing battle, so he decided to die alongside his brother. 

I watched the show when it first aired (after waiting more than 2 years for it), but did not finish because their constant adversities gave me anxiety. But rewatching the show now, and finally finishing it, has given me further appreciation for the show. This show has been beautifully crafted, meticulously written, very well-executed, and amazingly performed. This ensemble of people really brought this show to life and the society (the times, the mannerisms, the chaos) was depicted so very vividly. Every actor/actress embodied their characters very well and their motivations were portrayed so amazingly. What was on the surface, in the undercurrents, yet to be revealed, were all so wonderfully shown. Someone mentioned that the family dynamics during the dining scenes were the most interesting. I absolutely agree. I remember the scene where YLK sat in his seat while wearing his full uniform (including the gloves). You have the Old Master's puzzlement and anger at his son's disrespect and insistence on wearing gloves at the dining table. You can feel YLK's unease because he did not want Yan Yun's bite on his hand to be discovered. You can sense Yan Yun's panic and anger at YLK. You can hear QS taking the fall for YLK by saying that the mark was because of her - she was already used to covering for her husband's many "misdeeds" and playboy ways anyway (even if the person it is with is her sister-in-law). You have YLS's suspicion (he can tell that YLK was lying) and disapproval (what has YLK done to make QS angry again). You can also tell that YLY sees it all - and understood that this was perhaps a situation between YLK, YY, and QS. His wife was just worried - the family is at odds with each other again. And this dynamics was just the beginning - in the later episodes, these characteristics and dynamics were further amplified (YY's anger and YLS's suspicion eventually consumes them). This show is brilliantly written, and the shifting dynamics between each character has been captured so very subtly, but each detail is not to be missed because it is part of a larger picture and puzzle. How we thought the Old Master had killed his brother - only to have that turn on us. And how the "truth" of YLS's birth unravelled. Even down to how the Murong family had originally planted the seed of doubt. And Teacher Fan/Advisor Fan. I was very puzzled at the beginning and a little skeptical of his "reputation" as the smartest plotter in Jiang Zuo. Because he died early in the drama, we have yet to see how great he was. But I truly appreciated his brilliance through the end of the show - he really was a smart man. But no one really could have prevented the tragedy of the Yi family. That seed has been planted too many years ago.

I fell in love at the start of the show due to the leads' fiery chemistry. Every fight they had with each other was a spectacle. Each insult they hurled at each other cut deep and lodges specifically where it hurts the most - because they truly understand each other (yet they do not/failed to see the love they had for each other). Towards the back, I truly appreciate the plotting and mechanisms and how YLK truly had luck and ability on his side. What disappointed me was that, for all that the fortunes had "blessed" YLK and Murong Feng (youngest master of Murong), their lives had been cut short too early. They had barely begun to burn bright!! I want to see more "greatness" before their inevitable fall.. Every character served their purpose in the show, and everyone were so very smart in their own ways. There were no foolish decisions in the show - only pieces of a puzzle we have yet to understand. YLS's "senseless" decision to kill Murong Feng that did not make sense at that time? It was all a well-calculated plan to allow him to gain power elsewhere. 

Hi jayyepeee

Owh my goodness.. never had an inkling of this poison issue... am going to rewatch few of the last eps thank you.

I was on a 2mths family tour to South Korea.. travel ws too hectic I might have missed all these little acts (poison)?

I too love this drama, fantastic performances but, the ending left me so frustrated then.. 

On 3/21/2019 at 4:40 PM, jayyepeee said:

@jayyepeee this is truly insightful and yes, I too had to watch this drama several times over because each time, you pick up something new.

The edges of this drama are jagged and uneven, perhaps not that different from life and the lives that these characters led.  This drama is not a linear drama and really in the end, it is not about Qin Sang or Lan Po - it is about the dynamics of family and that you reap what you sow, and you cannot avoid the gamble with lives that someone else set into play long ago - and that is fate.

Archived