[Drama 2017] Live Up To Your Name, Dr. Heo 명불허전

Admin

3 hours ago, hell59 said:

Hello everyone on this thread! I have started watching this drama and I have been pleasantly surprised with how interesting it is. TVN is strongly going to compete with all the week-end dramas. The bad thing about it is that neither VIKI or DF are officially subbing it. It is not available on VIKI for the USA and it seems that DF did not get the license. What a big loss for both sites!

Yep.  As long as it's sub.. whoever is subbing, I'm fine. Thanks to them. It's actually quick...like there's sub the following day. Unlike jdramas I'm following takes  a whole week even longer or sometimes no sub at all so always grateful to fansubs who translate kdrama cdrama jdrama w/o being paid.

This is a good drama with good acting and good chemistry. Wonder what's the basis to sub or not  a drama but that's another topic.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/25/2017 at 3:26 PM, weng_tse said:

Sorry...

BUT PLEASE DO NOT INSULT KIM NAM GIL...

My goodness. In what way am I insulting Kim Nam Gil? Is it noting that picture of him resembling Lee Min Ho an insult? What is so insulting about looking like Lee Min Ho? I would appreciate if you could explain this to me. 

On 8/26/2017 at 1:39 AM, yanki said:

Lol yeah... sometimes they look a bit similar, especially back when he was younger. I remember seeing Lee Min Ho's drama "Faith" and his appearance reminds me of Kim Nam Gil's character "Bidam (the Hwarang)" from Queen Seondok.  Same with Lee Joon-Ki's style in his previous drama "Scarlet Heart: Ryeo. While he look like Yoo Ah-in (of Rooftop Prince)  in his movie Portrait of a Beauty.

But then again, he often look different in some of his movies like in The Pirates - I almost didn't recognize him. Same here with LUTYN, I didn't recognized him at first glance.

Although I still hope he will lose a bit of weight, so that he could appeal to some youngsters out there (just like how Lee Joon Ki is nowadays) not sure though if he like that, seems like he's the type of actor who doesn't care about his image and want to focus on his acting.

When you pointed it out, yes, I noticed how his Hwarang's styling as Bidam is a close resemblance to Lee Min Ho in Faith (though it's fair to note that QSD is an earlier production than Faith). I also noticed his voice in "Queen Seondeok" sound like Lee Jun Ki. And his eyes very similar to Johnny Depp. Well, I like that about him which goes to say that he is a chameleon.

I think he is of the perfect weight, I would not want him thinner (Sorry, I love LJK so much and he was perfect as Wang So but he is way too thin now). He was a little chubby in QSD though I think he was perfectly cute and gorgeous as Bidam despite the tan.

And yeah, I share your opinion about wanting him to appeal more to youngsters (though I noticed KNG is the type that doesn't care much about appearance and appeal) but I would say, the appeal actually contributed by the role. It is always the romantic hero (like Wang So and Goblin's Kim Shin) that won over viewers. Nevertheless, I love that KNG decided to be the quirky Heo Im. Could not imagined any other actor who could be weird, cute and sexy at the same time.

On another note, I love the mustache. His modern styling that I like the most is in "Shark". I would want him to keep that 'stache, LOL. 

8 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have finally watched the episode 6 RAW entirely. I was surprised by YK's reaction at the end... she blamed Heo Im for her trauma, saying that her disorder was triggered by him. Sure, she was stressed when she said those words but she is totally wrong. Then we see that the book her grandfather is reading started changing. The writing is disappearing hence it is clear that he needs to go back to Joseon. What I liked in the episode 6 is we could see Hae JA's methods are pretty similar to Heo Im's methods but his way is much more modernized. He didn't push himself the needles f. ex. As conclusion, HJ is destined to feel threatened by HI. First, HJ noticed how close HI is to YK... something he could never get, although he knows her much longer. Then in his professional life, HI will prove that his skills are far superior. But the way I see it, HI is going to be used by HJ's grandfather. Instead of excluding him, he will allow him to work as doctor and in the long run, Ma can get nominated for the next seat as Chairman. Once chairman, he can promote his own grandson. In Joseon, it was a little different. His opponent never allowed him to enter the Royal pharmacy. 

I watched it RAW too. Now it seems to me that the time traveling between periods would be more rapid. Someone pointed out this element to be quite similar to "Queen Inhyun's Man". I really have no idea since I never watched that drama.

On another note, I really have a bit of problem with Yeon Kyung. She just seems to misunderstood Heo Im too much (I know most were situation driven but at the same time, is also her own manifestation) and pretty much blaming him for almost everything. Also, her refusal to listen tend to irk me.

Just now, LyraYoo said:

Hi everyone, please refrain from discussing non-drama related topics. If you want to talk about more of Kim Nam Gil's other works, please proceed to his actor's thread. Thank you.

Apologized and dearly noted.

i never watch any kim nam gil drama/movie but i know most of his drama/movie is serious genre..and i watched this drama bcoz of kim ah jung..but now i found myself falling in love with him and even ship him with ah jung..their make a very good n pretty couple..kim nam gil sshi i never imagine that you will play such a humorous charactor..but you do it awesomely..kim ah jung you as always a pretty lady and i love you voice..i dont know why production people didnt recognize you to play in saeguk..LUTYNDH FIGHTING!!!!!:heart::heart::heart:

I just started and catched up with this drama I'm amazed at how funny and interesting it is, not that time-traveler hijinks ever stoped being funny but I did not know much about Kim Nam-gil and I truly laugh out loud at every comical face he makes. I do not know if I like YK because she tends to blame Heo Im (now Heo Bong-tak) for things he does not know or control, and it's more jarring because she can be really sweet and with him and then change 180° and hate him ...
I do not know how things will go now that he is an oriental doctor in the modern world ... will he stop using his needles and start using modern needles? It's just that I like him with his ancient needles and his old ways. Is YK going to behave better towards him? What is going to happen to Bong-tak and Bong-sik's mom? Will he visit her? And grandpa?
One thing I know for sure is that second lead bores me and I hate every minute he's on screen, he's superfluous.

I'm now a big big fan of Kim Nam Gil...enuff said!!!!!  

At first I didn't fancy Kim Ah Jung, but as time goes on  , she is ok. Her acting is not over the top and appreciate her subtle beauty ( not too overly plastic and sharp features) .

Just watching and enjoying the series...no other big opinions about plot , etc. 

Yah....TVN is outdoing itself this season....loads of great series.  I need an intervention to stop my addiction.

8 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

No, he has to go back in my opinion because the writing in the book YK's grandfather has is starting disappearing. Moreover, Heo Jun is still shown, which gives us another indication that Heo Im will return to the past.  

Hi there chingu. It has been a long time not being in the same thread with you.  Hello to everyone in this thread too.  I just watched it recently, and will definitely follow it since it is getting more interesting. (Keep watching time travelling kd this year)

I think I missed that scene but surely he has to go back.  For now he hasn't figured it out that only when his life is threatened is the key for him to travel through the time.

38 minutes ago, LyraYoo said:

Heo Im already knows Hangul because it is post King Sejong era. The year is 1592 when Joseon people knows to use the  written language Hangul(introduced in 1440). However somewhere in 1500's the reigning 10th King abolished the study of Hangul . That is why the most circulated books on medicines were still written in Hanja / Chinese ( based on Granpa's book ) . Only in 1600's that the use of Hangul was revived. 

@annura25 @LyraYoo  I thought that the fact she noticed he knew Hangul was interesting. The really educated people didn't use it I guess, and as you point out the King stopped it, so the mom may have come from the future, or her family knew it. But the fact that YK mentioned it I think may be an indicator there is something up with his Mom and her education. There are several characters who have bonds with Joseon now. And doesn't he say to  YK, did we ever meet before?  For some reason she looks familiar.  Could she have been born in Joseon herself, and he saw her as a baby?

The show continues to be fun to watch. It mixes the medical, melodrama, and comedy and romance very well. I am a KNG fan and was concerned that his intensity would be lost in a comic role, but he just does it all in this one - laughing and crying from one moment to the next. 

I think YK realizes she blew it when she told HI she didn't want to see him again. She just went into shock and was reacting not thinking. She wants to separate herself from the pain that is making her lose her grip and ability to work.  I think the man who died in the accident was a boyfriend not her father. Maybe that is why the psychologist said someone she met triggered it. If she lost her lover like that, she has fear of falling in love again.  

2 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

@maddymappo The commoners are the one who had widely used the Hangul because this was King Sejong's primary intention why he introduced the language. Considering that Heo Im is a son from a servant family, it explains why he knows about it. However his writings for medical procedures at that time was in Hanja as it is still the language used by the noble men/ upper class.

I don't know why the writer made YK asked that question too .

could it because he is of low status? maybe because from where he is - he didnt understand why he needed to be taught korean that is mainly reserved for upper class? Perhaps at that time, this had not been widely spread yet?

I am missing the moustache. He looks so skinny without the hair and the moustache. Also don't quite like his combed up hairstyle, but luckily it seems that the messy hair will make a come back at least when he is alone at home. 

Also thought it was quite abrupt the way she told him that she doesn't want to see him again. Seems like the writer just took an easy way out to create some tension and push him to the new oriental medicine director. 

Does anyone else feel that KNG has such sad eyes when he is not doing his crazy grinning thing? It was as if he is using his antics to hide the sadness in his heart. Wonder if it is intended as part of Heo Im's character or just the way KNG looks.

Did you notice the smile he made after she switched the channel on the dancing girl group? I think he was more aware of her feelings towards him than herself. The guy is one smart cookie even though he acts all childish and crazy at times. 

Lastly, just had to say HOW CUTE IS THE LITTLE PIGLET! Especially when he tripped over the door to get to YK.

While LYTYN is more than comedy, it’s a welcome relief, even therapeutic with laugh-out-loud moments, while I’m on a lot of deadlines and have little mental space left these days.  Appreciated!!!

In that vein, just watched ep 6 with subs:  sure to be memorable was the TV-watching scene, especially jumping onto KAJ in fear and crawling forward on the table toward the girl group!  And loved the noodle spice-pack shaking complete with chopsticks behind ears. 

On a more serious and sensual note:  looking forward to The Kims!  KAJ is new to me, and I really like her.  So happy to see KNG in something recent and showing a range.  Have missed him.  Reminiscing with Bad Guy soundtrack right now….

Love Heo Im’s bedside manner and those massive needles, which he plucks.  Had not known acupuncture reached such a high point in Korea.  Appreciate learning while laughing yet!  The sometimes blending of feudal and modern viewpoints adds interest…Heo Im’s repulsion from being embraced while treating the homeless, etc.

Now another week’s wait…Aaargh!

3 hours ago, maddymappo said:

@annura25 @LyraYoo  I thought that the fact she noticed he knew Hangul was interesting. The really educated people didn't use it I guess, and as you point out the King stopped it, so the mom may have come from the future, or her family knew it. But the fact that YK mentioned it I think may be an indicator there is something up with his Mom and her education. There are several characters who have bonds with Joseon now. And doesn't he say to  YK, did we ever meet before?  For some reason she looks familiar.  Could she have been born in Joseon herself, and he saw her as a baby?

The show continues to be fun to watch. It mixes the medical, melodrama, and comedy and romance very well. I am a KNG fan and was concerned that his intensity would be lost in a comic role, but he just does it all in this one - laughing and crying from one moment to the next. 

I think YK realizes she blew it when she told HI she didn't want to see him again. She just went into shock and was reacting not thinking. She wants to separate herself from the pain that is making her lose her grip and ability to work.  I think the man who died in the accident was a boyfriend not her father. Maybe that is why the psychologist said someone she met triggered it. If she lost her lover like that, she has fear of falling in love again.  

@maddymappo, in her flashback i think she was still a little girl when she witnessed that accident.

smileys@Yongzura Welcome to this thread. cute-rabbit-emoticon-20.gif?1301940532I am glad to meet you again. cute-rabbit-emoticon-21.gif?1301940532Long time no see, chingu!panda

@LyraYoo @kaoriharang Since Heo Im learnt from his father hanja and from his mother hangul, we can assume that although Heo Im belonged to the lower class, his parents were still educated. On Wikipedia, it is said that women were not allowed to learn Hanja and many were analphabetists. Could it be that his father had been an illegitimate child? 

I believe that CYK and her grandfather made both a mistake. First, I'll talk about our protagonist. She pushed him away for listening to that psychiatrist. Yes, her trauma was triggered by something or someone new. For me, the fact that YK witnessed a man almost getting hit by a car was the trigger. Then the more she gets to know HI, she starts liking him, the more she is afraid of getting hurt. I believe that the person who died in the motorbike accident was a loved one, a person close to her. There was a cuddly toy on the ground next to the victim. She was also wearing a helmet indicating that she was on a bike as well. @maddymappo @kd-addict For me, it could have been her adoptive father. CYK doesn't know about her biological father (Heo Jun). So first, her father died, then her mother.

As for the grandfather, he thought that our director Ma would protect Heo Im and send him back to the past. He trusted his friend too much. When Ma visited him, the grandfather must have told him about the true identity of Heo Im, since Ma revealed later to HI that he knew, Heo Im would come from Joseon. YK's grandfather is underestimating Ma's greed and ambition. The latter wants to take advantage of Heo Im's knowledge. And his grandson, YJH is not different from him. Right now, YJH is just jealous because Heo Im has become a VIP doctor and he saw how close HI was to YK. I hope, CYK regrets her action. She was starting to miss him but after seeing him as a VIP doctor, she will try to deny her feelings for him. Moreover, HI will keep his distance from her. Finally, I have the impression that Heo Im and CYK might return to the past in the episode 8. In my opinion, he needs to travel back more than just once.

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@Yongzura Welcome to this thread. I am glad to meet you again. Long time no see, chingu!

@LyraYoo @kaoriharang Since Heo Im learnt from his father hanja and from his mother hangul, we can assume that although Heo Im belonged to the lower class, his parents were still educated. On Wikipedia, it is said that women were not allowed to learn Hanja and many were analphabetists. Could it be that his father had been an illegitimate child? 

I believe that CYK and her grandfather made both a mistake. First, I'll talk about our protagonist. She pushed him away for listening to that psychiatrist. Yes, her trauma was triggered by something or someone new. For me, the fact that YK witnessed a man almost getting hit by a car was the trigger. Then the more she gets to know HI, she starts liking him, the more she is afraid of getting hurt. I believe that the person who died in the motorbike accident was a loved one, a person close to her. There was a cuddly toy on the ground next to the victim. She was also wearing a helmet indicating that she was on a bike as well. @maddymappo @kd-addict For me, it could have been her adoptive father. CYK doesn't know about her biological father (Heo Jun). So first, her father died, then her mother.

As for the grandfather, he thought that our director Ma would protect Heo Im and send him back to the past. He trusted his friend too much. When Ma visited him, the grandfather must have told him about the true identity of Heo Im, since Ma revealed later to HI that he knew, Heo Im would come from Joseon. YK's grandfather is underestimating Ma's greed and ambition. The latter wants to take advantage of Heo Im's knowledge. And his grandson, YJH is not different from him. Right now, YJH is just jealous because Heo Im has become a VIP doctor and he saw how close HI was to YK. I hope, CYK regrets her action. She was starting to miss him but after seeing him as a VIP doctor, she will try to deny her feelings for him. Moreover, HI will keep his distance from her. Finally, I have the impression that Heo Im and CYK might return to the past in the episode 8. In my opinion, he needs to travel back more than just once.

Very well point chingu (:

I definitely agree about the trauma part especially - it really surprise me how CYK pushed away HI after that trigger just when she was about to open up to him. And in the end, she was the most affected when his presence disappeared.

I know this topic has been touched with regards to HI's ambition - I just want to say something about it. I think reason why sometimes there is this negative view on his ambition is because well, doctors are suppose to be selfless and they are in a job where they are saving lives.

of course, we know that wealth and greed can become the very thing spurring one to act. I think the scene were HI forsakes his hands for the treasure, I neither agree or disagree with his actions, because I can understand both sides. HI unlike CYK comes from a very poor background, in those days, you can only go as far up as your status determines. I don't think its wrong that HI put money before his duty as a doctor because of his background and his circumstances. He knows first hand, what having a high status, comfortable living and money can do for one self.

Because of his status, he lost his mother. I think that kind of hurt is something I really emphasis with. So, yes I am worried a bit about HI knowing being maybe a 'pawn' in director Ma's games. But we know that at the heart of the matter, HI is good and cares of people, that is an unmistakable truth.

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

@kaoriharang so excited that you're joining us here!! I haven't had a chance to watch ep.6 subs because it's been a long day, so will come back again later as I have to leave again for another meeting now.

no worries chingu! take your time (:

Hey everybody!

I was watching Ep 6 with subs in office and had to cut it short since lunch hour was over. Mehhhhhhhh <_<

Just wanted to quickly share brief thoughts:

1. Kim Nam Gil is really best suited for this genre and sageuk drama. Very masculine and charming with that moustache and goatee. Very sexy indeed and did someone say Korean version of Johnny Depp? Aye aye :wub:
  2. I have watched Kim Ah Joong in some of her previous dramas and movies. But I have to say, her portrayal of Choi Yeon Kyung has got to be one of her better ones! She pretty much nailed it.
  3. As for the time travelling aspect, I think it was not so much of the piercing of his heart but more when Heo Im is on the verge of death (last one being trapped in the fire and saving YK), he would travel back.
  4. Yes, I am curious about the set of needles that got him into trouble in the first place.
  5. YK definitely has an adverse reaction whenever she sees accident victims (lots of blood, etc). It must have really stemmed from someone's death which she witnessed first hand. I somehow think it is her mother, I could be wrong about this. Her mom could have suffered from something which harabeoji tried to cure with acupuncture. Perhaps, things could have worsened and mom was being rushed to the hospital. Accident happened, and you know...
  6. And Jae Ha, there is seriously something fishy about this dongsaeng. Is he time-travelling too?
  7. And finally, Heo Jun! How in the whole world did he know that YK is finally all grown-up and tangled with HI? Why why WHY?

Ok, I will be back whenever I can :wink:

Archived