[Thai Drama 2017] Princess Hours รักวุ่นๆ เจ้าหญิงจอมจุ้น

yoyo_icecube

I've been lurking in this thread for a while and been meaning to post my thoughts on this series. Now that we're past the half-way mark (I think it's supposed to be a 20 ep series right?), I have a better idea of my reaction to the show.

I re-watched the korean Goong after the first episodes of this remake came out. I watched the first episode and then quickly skipped to the last 2 episodes. It's a bad habit but I've been burned by so many dramas that started great and quickly went sideways LOL! Anyway, I realized that I did the exact same thing years ago and that I never did watch the whole series. I think I was very disappointed with the ending and the last 2 episodes implied a lot of very angst-heavy melodramatic stuff happened and I just wasn't up for that torture. The thing that really turned me off watching is finding out that he gave up the throne. Why bother going through all that only to give up in the end?! I get that it's hard and he doesn't really want that kind of life but it still rubbed me the wrong way. Also, there was that whole dramatic tear-filled good bye scene where they both showed they loved each other and then the next episode she was reluctant and seemed to be rethinking going back with him??? Ok she did go back and they had another ceremony but it all seemed contrived and unnecessary to me. 

So I had great hopes for the Thai remake bec the basic idea of the series could be something great. Who wouldn't love a fairy-tale type story? And an updated, modernized one? All the better! As others have pointed out, they did a good job with Full House remake which I agree bec I remember marathon-watching that one LOL. So I was really excited when I found out abt this remake and had high hopes. I was also hoping they would change that ending! LOL

That opening song though! Why didn't they just have Pattie sing it if they're going for a more amateur sound, not like a pro singer?? That took a bit to get used to LOL. Since I can't understand the words, the melody is more important to me and I was underwhelmed.

I saw the first few episodes and besides the scenery, settings and the costumes which were impressive, I was a tiny bit underwhelmed. Besides that first meeting of spitting on his face in the restroom, there was hardly any scenes with the 2 leads together all the way to ep 5 or 6. I held my patience bec they were setting up the plot and introducing the players and situations. But it quickly became apparent that they weren't doing a good job of this. They still aren't.

I thought that rules of succession in monarchies follow king to eldest son to his eldest son if they pass away. The crown prince (Nakhun's father) died before the previous king but he was already born so when the old king died, Nakhun should have become king and Inn's father should have been regent or the mother until Nakhun came of age. I'm unclear on why it skipped to Inn's father.

Anyway, skipping that issue, why were they exiled to Boston?? I don't remember if that was ever explained. And then so easily asked to go back and live in the palace? There's quite a bit of history that aren't explained. 

Another question is how bad the king's illness is and if Inn knows. Or did I imagine that he was sick? Bec they don't seem to have mentioned it, except for some subtle implications in the dialogue. But if he was sick and this was the reason they were pressuring Inn to marry so young, then why isn't Inn given more instruction or responsibility in running the kingdom? Or is he? Again, we aren't shown whether he does anything besides go to school. Khaning seems to be doing more training than he is. He is to become king so why is he studying theatre?? or is it film? or some arts course? why not finance or business or political science?? I am confused.

The acting is ok, except for the "villains" - Nakhun's mother , Minnie's uncle and sometimes Nakhun's acting leave a lot to be desired. It almost seems like they are acting in a different drama than everyone else! It is so annoying to me that I skip their scenes 9the previous crown princess and minnie's uncle)   The dowager queen has this half giggle, half laugh which is ok but she laughs just a bit too long esp when no one else is laughing LOL! kinda awkward. I'm not sure how aware she is of all that's going on in the palace.

The queen does well conveying emotions esp since her character is one who doesn't say what she feels and keeps it all inside. The king is ok although his character annoys me, always yelling at his son without asking first or trying to understand the situation. He also treats his wife like a glorified attendant most of the time. So I was really happy when he overheard that he is doing a miserable job of taking care of his wife. I don't know if this is the same situation in the korean version.  But so far Inn is following his footsteps of treating his wife pretty badly.

The secondary characters of the 2 leads' friends seem under-used and end up being mostly window dressing esp Inn's friends. Who come off as thoughtless insensitive snobs esp in that scene where they were taking horseback riding lessons and Khaning was sitting by them and they still talked of Minnie and Inn together, this after the wedding has taken place! Also when they spoke to her in english at the birthday party. I hope Khaning's friends get some payback for her eventually. They're pretty cool and funny.

khaning's parents were funny and shows why Khaning is how she is - warm, compassionate and kind with a mischievous streak. Don't know why they changed the brother to an older one or maybe he just looks older than the korean version but same age??...

But that scene when they had dinner at Khaning's house and they showed Inn initially confused by the chaos of her family and later comfortable was too short and under-explored. This seems a pivotal plot point and it was not emphasized enough. I would have rather they explored this more rather than those scenes of the villains plotting or those scenes when any character is just looking off in the distance LOL.

Tao and Pattie are doing a good job with what they are given and how they are directed. There were comments abt the fake kissing scenes bec of Pattie's No kissing clause contract. They were able to go around it ok except in the latest ep 12, where there were 3 consecutive slap then kiss combos (which was one too much IMO). It was obvious bec Tao had to turn his back to the camera and it does take away from the scene bec it doesn't allow the viewer to see their faces in this very emotional scene. It is disappointing. Maybe they should have just not had that in the script. I was not a fan of the whole slapping thing anyway. But I get this is a "thing" they do in Thai lakorns ...

But it seems ironic or unfortunate that a drama that has the queen and dowager queen giving the main leads aphrodisiac so they will have sex, a prince that regularly almost makes a move on the princess has a main lead actress who won't kiss on camera. She's a good actress but there might have been others just as good without that clause. I'm not as bothered as others I think, but it still limits what the show could be.

I think main guy is doing what he can with the script and direction he is given but I feel like at this point, past the halfway mark,I still don't really get a sense of where his character stands. He accepted that he had to marry before Khaning did but seems to treat it all as if having the ceremony is it and his job's done. He doesn't really act like he is married or even knows the difference between married and single. It would be different if he actually told Khaning that they will marry but he will keep Minnie in his heart or have an agreement with her to lead separate lives. So I can imagine that Khaning is as confused as I am bec he blows hot and cold. He ignores her, doesn't defend her when his friends are openly insulting her, doesn't really thank her after she saved his bacon in that press conference, but regularly encroaches on her personal space, makes a move on her (but seemingly as a way to threaten or to make fun of her, except for a couple of times when he looked like he was abt to kiss her), and gets quite possessive and angry when Nakhun shows his care to Khaning but doesn't see that he does the same thing with Minnie. So I guess the rules don't apply to him? He was already in a scandal involving the triangle of him with Khaning and Minnie, you would think he would be more discreet and avoid it or at least show that he is aware that he is married and thus should act accordingly. But he treats her the same more or less and yet gets mad when he sees Khaning with Nakhun. I guess he wants the best of both worlds.At this point (after watching ep 12 raw, I kinda want Khaning to leave him LOL)

He just seems too self-involved and just focuses on his own perceived suffering while he doesn't take note of the difficulties of those around him unless hit on the head with it like when Khaning clued him in on possible trouble the queen is going through and with the issue of Khaning being homesick and unable to go home. He only made a move after Nakhun failed and he saw Khaning crying Twice or was it 3x?!

The biggest flaw in the series is one others have pointed out. It is either the script or the director. Possibly both. The original was quite long, I think it was 26 or 24 episodes an hour long each. This one is only 20 with at most 37 -38 mins of actual story footage, the rest are the opening and closing credits and maybe flashbacks and previews. So a lot of events are necessarily cut from the script but they could have adjusted better. Or they should have just had more episodes bec they've sacrificed the smooth flow of the plot and character development. Some of the changes they've made, the difference in the kingdom they've thought up, are interesting and would have been nice if they were explored more.

The transitions are clunky, clumsy and often abrupt. The dialogue is lacking and at times awkward. There were opportunities for further character and plot development but the scenes are cut short. One instance is when they slept in the make-shift tent outside and they started actually having a conversation that didn't involve sniping at one another or fighting and the production chose to just have one line of exchange - something abt stars being out of reach or not moving...

It is so frustrating that there have been times when they've been forced to stay in one room together and there didn't seem to be any significant conversation taking place except for when they planned how to go around the aphrodisiac they were given and even that was in a flashback and very short. How are we supposed to believe that they are falling for each other at this point???

I can believe Nakhun is falling for her more bec they are in the same class and when they are together he pays attention to her and talks to her, not at her.   Even their first meeting was significant bec she caught his attention and he found her interesting. If it was Inn, he would have just focused on how annoying and inconvenient it was that he had to help her hide.

I have the sense that Khaning's character went into the marriage more open-minded. To her, she was coming into this expecting that they would both make an effort to make the marriage work. She might not be ready for the physical aspect but she was at least more open to the idea of them being a team in a real marriage. So she's made efforts to draw closer. Except for a few complaints and some whining (I would have made so much more) when they were making her study and practice all those tasks and books, she has been mature abt it all esp where it really matters and has given her best including going to the press conference even when sick.

After she decided to go through with the wedding for the sake of her family, she was committed not just to the wedding but to the marriage. Unlike Inn who was committed to the wedding but not the marriage and all it entails. So in the important matters, she is more mature than he is.

The clunky transitions and abrupt shifts in scenes and sometimes dialogue, really hinder the smooth flow of the story. It feels like I'm watching a series of flashbacks or teasers or trailers and I have to extrapolate from that. There is a lack of info given and limited insight to what the characters are thinking, feeling or just where their heads are at. I'm often left guessing. It's so bad sometimes that the feeling and understanding is the same while watching the raw and even with the subs!

It did improve I believe at ep 9. This is the one where we get an insight a bit inside the queen's head and I think Khaning and Inn had a bit of a talk? But I remember thinking ok, now we're getting somewhere! But it's often one step forward 2 steps back esp for Inn , and their relationship. Even that kiss he gave her that night after she saw him kissing Minnie on stage seemed like one just to prove a point. 

There was a softening in his attitude towards her but then he treats her coldly again or just does something stupid often involving Minnie. There is a lack of consistency in how his character is behaving or even feeling as the episodes go on or sometimes even within one episode  that I'm left wondering WTH is going on with him??!! esp since he seems to have no one to talk to and he isn't saying anything to anyone.

There are often awkward and weird pauses that I blame on the director. When Khaning fainted by the falls, Inn carries her and then has a face off with Nakhun before he goes. For no apparent reason!! Sometimes there are odd pauses mid-scene or mid-dialogue too.

BTW, I think there was a comment before abt who faints like that slowly sitting down. Actually it is quite possible, it's happened to me. I got lightheaded and knew I was abt to lose consciousness so I tried my best to make it to a chair before I passed out and I did. It's happened twice so it's possible to gradually lose consciousness instead of falling into a faint and dropping like a rock. =D

I still like the series (I still eagerly wait for new episodes and subbed episodes) but I'm kinda sad that it isn't better. I give them a lot of credit for all the work they did with finding great locations and wardrobe but I wish they did better with the script and direction. Most of  the actors and the characters they play are under-utilized in the plot/script which is a shame bec they have a good cast generally.

They could still turn it around and make the latter half work better, we'll have to wait and see, but I really really hope that they have him just accept his position and work hard for it instead of giving it up. I 'm assuming there's a sister in the picture since there is an unknown female in some of the stills but it's kinda ridiculous that there has been zero mention of her so far and it is episode 12 of 20!!! If he gives his position to her, a character who hasn't been around for more than half the series, I will be very very annoyed.

I probably will be LOL.

Wow this has gone on forever! LOL I rambled on and I apologize that it's not as organized as I would like. I just typed what came to mind. I've forgotten some of the details from the past 11 episodes so I could not give more examples but this was already too long anyway LOL!. 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! Currently watching and loving this show.

This is my first Thai Remake and it's wonderful. I saw the Korean version (big fan here of ji hoon/eun hye) and I'm still loving this remake... I don't know why... Maybe it's the awesome chemistry, maybe it's the story because is a classic but I'm loving PHT. No doubt is my favorite show right now. I fall in love with them over and over again and I'm watching the live episodes and that's weird because I don't do this since Descendants of the Sun.

The scenarys and costumes are exquisite. The OST is great too. "Is there any other Word" is the equivalent of "Perhaps Love" Addictive and with a perfect lyric.

My biggest compliment for this remake is the Prince Inn... Yes, call me crazy but he's more expressive and sweet than the Prince Shin. I know, he's heartless and cold, selfish and careless and a real fool... But that man is in love and I'm feeling that from the first minute. 

My only observation is for the plot... Sometimes it's a little rushed and I don't find connection between the scenes but I'm blind because the chemistry of the main couple is so bright and the new contributions like "Lady's Scents" 

O-M-G 

That's a killer nose bleed scene. Well... Worth see it!

Spoiler

tumblr_oq1nyxQLyT1r9730zo1_500.gif

tumblr_oq1nyxQLyT1r9730zo2_500.gif

When you see your OTP being lovey-dovey 

Cr. http://r-a-n-x-i-e.tumblr.com/

On 6/7/2017 at 11:07 AM, Mayiya said:

Sometimes it's a little rushed and I don't find connection between the scenes

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i feel like throwing my laptop out of my window.. i know im complaining too much.. but this type of scriptwriting and editing is like its written by very bad fanfiction author (there are alot more fanfic author that thousand times better than this remake scriptwriter team) and edited by some elementary school student using window movie maker. im too pissed off with the very bad transition between scenes... ah... 

like @cdcotr said in the above post. they should make the process of falling in love is more believable.  

the only improvement i see (and i stop complaining about it) is the acting.. the cast had to hard carry this series.. ah..

ps: ep13 not release yet?

hello everyone,,

after i read all the comment, i agree with what the @cdcotr wrote, that was long explanation and i read them all haha!!

becoz its remake from korean drama, so we automatically compare it with the original one, i have to admit that i still love the korean version. i don't know if it was the director or the actress, but patty's act is not my taste, i feel something is lacking from her act, i love her witty act tho,,

so many character in this drama that i hate than the korean one, but Good thing that i don't have a high expectation from this drama so i'm not too disappointed by it xp

well i will just enjoy my prince nakhun with his pouty face

On 6/8/2017 at 1:22 AM, yoyo_icecube said:

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i feel like throwing my laptop out of my window.. i know im complaining too much.. but this type of scriptwriting and editing is like its written by very bad fanfiction author (there are alot more fanfic author that thousand times better than this remake scriptwriter team) and edited by some elementary school student using window movie maker. im too pissed off with the very bad transition between scenes... ah... 

like @cdcotr said in the above post. they should make the process of falling in love is more believable. 

the only improvement i see (and i stop complaining about it) is the acting.. the cast had to hard carry this series.. ah..

ps: ep13 not release yet?

ep 13 was released and watched the eng subbed episode on Ingfakirata's FB page.

I agree and I actually had the same thought after I posted my very long post LOL.

It all just feels amateurish even with all the amazing sets and costumes bec the script and plot progression are choppy and executed clumsily. Almost all the actors are doing a pretty good job with what they're given except for Nakhun's mom and Minnie's uncle who seem like they're acting in a daytime soap opera while everyone else is in a primetime series, if that makes any sense.The exaggerated expressions, the too many significant pauses between phrases is a bit annoying. I don't have a problem with Pattie's acting bec it's generally appropriate for the character. I think most of the things I find annoying esp with the 2 main leads are more due to the directing and writing than their acting.

CAse in point is when after the scandal breaks out abt Inn meeting Minnie in Bangkok, the director or writers decide to focus on Minnie's distress more than the reaction of Khaning, her parents or even Inn. They included that scene where the king, queens and dowager queen scolded him but there was not a scene where they show his reaction alone. I would have loved a scene where her parents get mad for how their daughter is being treated (cheated on).

I guess showing Minnie also getting some repercussion is needed but it didn't need to be that long esp if it is at the expense of showing Khaning's reaction. They just showed that short scene of her seeing it on the phone and her walking away from Inn down the stairs.

And then when Inn does approach Khaning after the egg throwing incident, he thanks her, (great!) but he never does apologize for the whole debacle, for walking around in public without a disguise with his arms around another girl. This, after going through a scandal previously abt the same girl! And in previous episode reacted violently to another guy embracing his wife while he does the same thing, only worse. He looked apologetic and sad when he was hugging the Khaning pillow (which just showed up out of the blue, would have been nice to see how those pillows came about)  but then a day later he hugs Minnie in plain sight on the stairs at school! SEriously??? Oh and he refutes Khaning's excuse for him at the exhibit giving a contradicting story which doesn't help at all!

Choices like this take a lot away from my enjoyment of the show.

It is interesting now that we're more than halfway, this MV that I really like (see link below) that was so romantic and sweet bec of the scenes chosen , now is not as romantic to me, now that I know the context surrounding the romantic scenes. It turns out they're not as romantic if you take into consideration the events surrounding it or even the dialogue .

Still a great MV though! =D  And maybe the best parts are still to air.

I really hope Khaning makes Inn work hard to earn her forgiveness. But she seems more discouraged bec she feels he doesn't really care abt her bec he loves Minnie so she can't and does not really fight for his affection and her position as his wife. But I really hope he grovels hard bec he really messed up. I hope she doesn't forgive him easily and just have everything be ok like nothing happened. At this point, Nakhun is definitely better at showing he values Khaning and takes care of her the best he can. inn should take lessons LOL!

Meanwhile waiting this series, currently I am watching BL theme series, Club Friday 8: True Love or Just Confused, where is Prince Inn (Tao) played as one of confused person.

there is "Minnie" (sorry I don't know her real name) in this series as main actress.

both of them are really good acting because I don't see them as Prince Inn and Khun Minnie in that series.

I am not sure that will be HE series.

14 hours ago, Ym3n said:

Meanwhile waiting this series, currently I am watching BL theme series, Club Friday 8: True Love or Just Confused, where is Prince Inn (Tao) played as one of confused person.

there is "Minnie" (sorry I don't know her real name) in this series as main actress.

both of them are really good acting because I don't see them as Prince Inn and Khun Minnie in that series.

I am not sure that will be HE series.

Yeah this one is more of gay-themed than BL. Minnie's real life is Bebe btw.

But that's Club Friday and it's not often for a Club Friday story to end in happy ending. :(

I've watched this for a while now, so I might as well give my review of the drama so far. Don't read on if you don't want spoilers. 

I am an avid fan of Goong/K version of Princess Hours. I watched it so many times, and just keep watching it whenever I feel like. Its one of those dramas that's not too difficult to interpret, the villain is not too bad and quiet romantic too. Basically, it just doesn't really pressurize or keep you on the edge of your seat kind of drama and I like that. 

Main reason I came accross this lakorn is because I was looking for a streaming site for the korean version (cliche reason, I know, but here I am anyway). So I ended up watching it anyway.

First of all, yes, I'm going to have to compare both versions. The wardrobe, settings, etc. are basically the same. I like how both tried to scratch up traditions because they are of royal family. Korean version tried to re-live their old traditions (like that lily tea, if anybody remembered. They had to peel the flower just for a 10 seconds flash in the drama!) This one wrote their own traditions, that scent tradition after their first night was pretty awkward, but it was essential, so as to say. It showed how the prince complies to every tradition there is, simply because it is the norm for him, while Khaning struggles to understand, and yet is open to what she has to do. It was a good scene for character development (and it was cute haha). 

I actually liked how they try to develop the characters' personalities, or maybe because I was slightly annoyed at Prince Shin's character development. His 'cold' acting could simply pass as 'ignorant' instead. Prince Inn is potrayed, instead as someone of whom at first looked cold even to his girlfriend (or maybe i didn't like the way he proposed? it was kinda distant somehow?), but then who sort of got rubbed off on his Princess' warm and cheerful attitude. I liked how they show how Inn almost casually falls for Khaning, compared to where the K version Prince Shin showed sudden jealousy, leaving us thinking 'yeah.. he likes her now, so that's why he's jealous'. There were more romance scenes on the thai version, and I appreciate that effort from the production team - we all want to see the prince being so into his wife rather than the other way around (sorry Chaegyong, we love you, though <3).

I loved how Inn is not ashamed to pull her away from Nakhun, and stating clearly that he is jealous of what he's seen. It makes him look so courageous towards what he believes is right.  To him, everything is just black and white; except for when it comes to Minnie. Inn's gaze slowly turns towards Khaning, and though he never stopped Minnie from approaching. The scene where he said to Minnie that he 'needed to go back' literally makes me think he meant 'I need to go back to my wife'. I like how in this version, Inn is obviously confused between Minnie and Khaning, and seems like he needed both at first. But after he came back from that detour with Minnie, he clearly said Minnie is his 'past' and the story is changing towards him clearly showing Minnie that he is no longer interested, at the same time trying to catch onto Khaning. And though he's clearly shown he wants to be with Khaning, Khaning still thinks she's just someone on the side and I hope they'll show how he'll stand against Minnie to gain Khaning's trust and love. 

They did not show much of Khaning's character development, but I think it is enough. She was shown being from a very close-knitted family with warm-hearted parents. Her reactions to Minnie and her jealousy was just as expected of someone with her personality. Again, compared to the k version where she openly accepts the second lead prince (Prince Yul <3), the thai version show mostly where Khaning is fully aware that Nakhun is someone she cannot get 100% close with. She is clearly rejecting Nakhun, and that was never really shown in the k version. I don't really blame that bit, though, I mean.. in the k version, her husband gets upset when all she did was sit and talk with the other prince (seriously? Nakhun here ends up hugging and holding her hand - that's more like it!) 

I also liked how they made Minnie work with Nakhun's mom. This was non-existent in the k version, but this was just straight to the point and logical. Minnie's strong-headed character seems to be levelled by her uncle who is a really strong supported of Lady Krissana. That boxing scene where he motivates Minnie to go on showed how tough she was 'trained' to physically and mentally go on with her fight for Inn's love.

Anyway, overall storyline is amazing as well. With a nice basis of characters' development, its just a really nice feel-good drama to watch. 

I'm slightly bothered with the non-kissing clause because it does take away a bit of the essence of the drama, at which I sometimes curse the production to choose such an actress for such a romantic-based drama. This is a romantic drama through and through, I wouldn't bother if its a crime drama or whatnot. The no-real kiss kinda takes away the final feels of the romance, but at least they are trying their best to make 'illusions' that they are kissing so still a good job. Though, really, next time you want to make a romantic drama, choose a girl who can kiss on screen. If you can't, then make a crime drama or suspense, thriller, etc. The k version of this drama only had like 2 kissing scenes (literally) - the thai version could have easily surpassed korean ratings if they had really kissing scenes here - they already have much more lead role scenes than the original even when the drama is not even finished yet. 

I'm also glad they're showing more of the power struggle between the two Princes and how the King is giving in too much to Nakhun because of his past feelings with his mom. The k version didn't do much other than hire people to throw eggs at him (that was very nice, huh). Nakhun's character is supposed to be both giving in, and yet he wants it at the same time. His desperation that arises because of his jealousy of Inn having Khaning is really apparent, and that's really good. At the same time, I liked how even when Nakhun seems to always be there for her, I'm still rooting for Inn because he seems to like Khaning more than Nakhun does (or is it all the kissing/bed scenes? hahaha)

Sorry for the longgg review, but overall I love both k version and thai version. The thai version gives a breathe of new life into the storyline, and I like seeing all the surprises that they had in store. I am so excited to see how Inn would make Khaning realise that she likes him too and that Minnie is really only his past. Also curious to know what Lady Krissana would do to help throne her son, and what side the king will be at when the time comes. And of course, I want more romantic scenes, please haha Inn <3 Khaning

I watched the Korean version of Princess Hours and was interested in watching the Thai remake; however, this director has made Khaning's character act too childish.  There are times when she speaks maturely and intelligently; however, most of her interactions with Inn are so immature.   I understand she wants to be loved, before she commits herself; however, she is married to him; therefore, she is already committed.  Khaning has come to realize that she likes Inn, Perhaps if she gave in to the wishes of the Queen and the Queen mother, Inn would forget Minnie.  They are married and sleep in the same bed, give Minnie a run for her money. While writing this post the song, "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" from the musical "My Fair Lady" came to me.  I've grown accustomed to her face. She almost makes the day begin. I've grown accustomed to the tune that she whistles night and noon. Her smiles, her frowns, her ups, her downs are second nature to me now; like breathing out and breathing in...  The more Inn is around Khaning he is starting to prefer her over Minnie.  Khaning should build on those shared and intimate times and stop acting silly...love will come.  There is the big picture as to why Khaning should try to have a baby with Inn; the throne could be at stake, if she became  pregnant, Nakhun and Minnie would be history and Lady Krissana's plot would have failed.  

I am trying to see this drama to the end but the director is making it so hard.

On 6/6/2017 at 10:58 AM, cdcotr said:

I've been lurking in this thread for a while and been meaning to post my thoughts on this series. Now that we're past the half-way mark (I think it's supposed to be a 20 ep series right?), I have a better idea of my reaction to the show.

I re-watched the korean Goong after the first episodes of this remake came out. I watched the first episode and then quickly skipped to the last 2 episodes. It's a bad habit but I've been burned by so many dramas that started great and quickly went sideways LOL! Anyway, I realized that I did the exact same thing years ago and that I never did watch the whole series. I think I was very disappointed with the ending and the last 2 episodes implied a lot of very angst-heavy melodramatic stuff happened and I just wasn't up for that torture. The thing that really turned me off watching is finding out that he gave up the throne. Why bother going through all that only to give up in the end?! I get that it's hard and he doesn't really want that kind of life but it still rubbed me the wrong way. Also, there was that whole dramatic tear-filled good bye scene where they both showed they loved each other and then the next episode she was reluctant and seemed to be rethinking going back with him??? Ok she did go back and they had another ceremony but it all seemed contrived and unnecessary to me. 

So I had great hopes for the Thai remake bec the basic idea of the series could be something great. Who wouldn't love a fairy-tale type story? And an updated, modernized one? All the better! As others have pointed out, they did a good job with Full House remake which I agree bec I remember marathon-watching that one LOL. So I was really excited when I found out abt this remake and had high hopes. I was also hoping they would change that ending! LOL

That opening song though! Why didn't they just have Pattie sing it if they're going for a more amateur sound, not like a pro singer?? That took a bit to get used to LOL. Since I can't understand the words, the melody is more important to me and I was underwhelmed.

I saw the first few episodes and besides the scenery, settings and the costumes which were impressive, I was a tiny bit underwhelmed. Besides that first meeting of spitting on his face in the restroom, there was hardly any scenes with the 2 leads together all the way to ep 5 or 6. I held my patience bec they were setting up the plot and introducing the players and situations. But it quickly became apparent that they weren't doing a good job of this. They still aren't.

I thought that rules of succession in monarchies follow king to eldest son to his eldest son if they pass away. The crown prince (Nakhun's father) died before the previous king but he was already born so when the old king died, Nakhun should have become king and Inn's father should have been regent or the mother until Nakhun came of age. I'm unclear on why it skipped to Inn's father.

Anyway, skipping that issue, why were they exiled to Boston?? I don't remember if that was ever explained. And then so easily asked to go back and live in the palace? There's quite a bit of history that aren't explained. 

Another question is how bad the king's illness is and if Inn knows. Or did I imagine that he was sick? Bec they don't seem to have mentioned it, except for some subtle implications in the dialogue. But if he was sick and this was the reason they were pressuring Inn to marry so young, then why isn't Inn given more instruction or responsibility in running the kingdom? Or is he? Again, we aren't shown whether he does anything besides go to school. Khaning seems to be doing more training than he is. He is to become king so why is he studying theatre?? or is it film? or some arts course? why not finance or business or political science?? I am confused.

The acting is ok, except for the "villains" - Nakhun's mother , Minnie's uncle and sometimes Nakhun's acting leave a lot to be desired. It almost seems like they are acting in a different drama than everyone else! It is so annoying to me that I skip their scenes 9the previous crown princess and minnie's uncle)   The dowager queen has this half giggle, half laugh which is ok but she laughs just a bit too long esp when no one else is laughing LOL! kinda awkward. I'm not sure how aware she is of all that's going on in the palace.

The queen does well conveying emotions esp since her character is one who doesn't say what she feels and keeps it all inside. The king is ok although his character annoys me, always yelling at his son without asking first or trying to understand the situation. He also treats his wife like a glorified attendant most of the time. So I was really happy when he overheard that he is doing a miserable job of taking care of his wife. I don't know if this is the same situation in the korean version.  But so far Inn is following his footsteps of treating his wife pretty badly.

The secondary characters of the 2 leads' friends seem under-used and end up being mostly window dressing esp Inn's friends. Who come off as thoughtless insensitive snobs esp in that scene where they were taking horseback riding lessons and Khaning was sitting by them and they still talked of Minnie and Inn together, this after the wedding has taken place! Also when they spoke to her in english at the birthday party. I hope Khaning's friends get some payback for her eventually. They're pretty cool and funny.

khaning's parents were funny and shows why Khaning is how she is - warm, compassionate and kind with a mischievous streak. Don't know why they changed the brother to an older one or maybe he just looks older than the korean version but same age??...

But that scene when they had dinner at Khaning's house and they showed Inn initially confused by the chaos of her family and later comfortable was too short and under-explored. This seems a pivotal plot point and it was not emphasized enough. I would have rather they explored this more rather than those scenes of the villains plotting or those scenes when any character is just looking off in the distance LOL.

Tao and Pattie are doing a good job with what they are given and how they are directed. There were comments abt the fake kissing scenes bec of Pattie's No kissing clause contract. They were able to go around it ok except in the latest ep 12, where there were 3 consecutive slap then kiss combos (which was one too much IMO). It was obvious bec Tao had to turn his back to the camera and it does take away from the scene bec it doesn't allow the viewer to see their faces in this very emotional scene. It is disappointing. Maybe they should have just not had that in the script. I was not a fan of the whole slapping thing anyway. But I get this is a "thing" they do in Thai lakorns ...

But it seems ironic or unfortunate that a drama that has the queen and dowager queen giving the main leads aphrodisiac so they will have sex, a prince that regularly almost makes a move on the princess has a main lead actress who won't kiss on camera. She's a good actress but there might have been others just as good without that clause. I'm not as bothered as others I think, but it still limits what the show could be.

I think main guy is doing what he can with the script and direction he is given but I feel like at this point, past the halfway mark,I still don't really get a sense of where his character stands. He accepted that he had to marry before Khaning did but seems to treat it all as if having the ceremony is it and his job's done. He doesn't really act like he is married or even knows the difference between married and single. It would be different if he actually told Khaning that they will marry but he will keep Minnie in his heart or have an agreement with her to lead separate lives. So I can imagine that Khaning is as confused as I am bec he blows hot and cold. He ignores her, doesn't defend her when his friends are openly insulting her, doesn't really thank her after she saved his bacon in that press conference, but regularly encroaches on her personal space, makes a move on her (but seemingly as a way to threaten or to make fun of her, except for a couple of times when he looked like he was abt to kiss her), and gets quite possessive and angry when Nakhun shows his care to Khaning but doesn't see that he does the same thing with Minnie. So I guess the rules don't apply to him? He was already in a scandal involving the triangle of him with Khaning and Minnie, you would think he would be more discreet and avoid it or at least show that he is aware that he is married and thus should act accordingly. But he treats her the same more or less and yet gets mad when he sees Khaning with Nakhun. I guess he wants the best of both worlds.At this point (after watching ep 12 raw, I kinda want Khaning to leave him LOL)

He just seems too self-involved and just focuses on his own perceived suffering while he doesn't take note of the difficulties of those around him unless hit on the head with it like when Khaning clued him in on possible trouble the queen is going through and with the issue of Khaning being homesick and unable to go home. He only made a move after Nakhun failed and he saw Khaning crying Twice or was it 3x?!

The biggest flaw in the series is one others have pointed out. It is either the script or the director. Possibly both. The original was quite long, I think it was 26 or 24 episodes an hour long each. This one is only 20 with at most 37 -38 mins of actual story footage, the rest are the opening and closing credits and maybe flashbacks and previews. So a lot of events are necessarily cut from the script but they could have adjusted better. Or they should have just had more episodes bec they've sacrificed the smooth flow of the plot and character development. Some of the changes they've made, the difference in the kingdom they've thought up, are interesting and would have been nice if they were explored more.

The transitions are clunky, clumsy and often abrupt. The dialogue is lacking and at times awkward. There were opportunities for further character and plot development but the scenes are cut short. One instance is when they slept in the make-shift tent outside and they started actually having a conversation that didn't involve sniping at one another or fighting and the production chose to just have one line of exchange - something abt stars being out of reach or not moving...

It is so frustrating that there have been times when they've been forced to stay in one room together and there didn't seem to be any significant conversation taking place except for when they planned how to go around the aphrodisiac they were given and even that was in a flashback and very short. How are we supposed to believe that they are falling for each other at this point???

I can believe Nakhun is falling for her more bec they are in the same class and when they are together he pays attention to her and talks to her, not at her.   Even their first meeting was significant bec she caught his attention and he found her interesting. If it was Inn, he would have just focused on how annoying and inconvenient it was that he had to help her hide.

I have the sense that Khaning's character went into the marriage more open-minded. To her, she was coming into this expecting that they would both make an effort to make the marriage work. She might not be ready for the physical aspect but she was at least more open to the idea of them being a team in a real marriage. So she's made efforts to draw closer. Except for a few complaints and some whining (I would have made so much more) when they were making her study and practice all those tasks and books, she has been mature abt it all esp where it really matters and has given her best including going to the press conference even when sick.

After she decided to go through with the wedding for the sake of her family, she was committed not just to the wedding but to the marriage. Unlike Inn who was committed to the wedding but not the marriage and all it entails. So in the important matters, she is more mature than he is.

The clunky transitions and abrupt shifts in scenes and sometimes dialogue, really hinder the smooth flow of the story. It feels like I'm watching a series of flashbacks or teasers or trailers and I have to extrapolate from that. There is a lack of info given and limited insight to what the characters are thinking, feeling or just where their heads are at. I'm often left guessing. It's so bad sometimes that the feeling and understanding is the same while watching the raw and even with the subs!

It did improve I believe at ep 9. This is the one where we get an insight a bit inside the queen's head and I think Khaning and Inn had a bit of a talk? But I remember thinking ok, now we're getting somewhere! But it's often one step forward 2 steps back esp for Inn , and their relationship. Even that kiss he gave her that night after she saw him kissing Minnie on stage seemed like one just to prove a point. 

There was a softening in his attitude towards her but then he treats her coldly again or just does something stupid often involving Minnie. There is a lack of consistency in how his character is behaving or even feeling as the episodes go on or sometimes even within one episode  that I'm left wondering WTH is going on with him??!! esp since he seems to have no one to talk to and he isn't saying anything to anyone.

There are often awkward and weird pauses that I blame on the director. When Khaning fainted by the falls, Inn carries her and then has a face off with Nakhun before he goes. For no apparent reason!! Sometimes there are odd pauses mid-scene or mid-dialogue too.

BTW, I think there was a comment before abt who faints like that slowly sitting down. Actually it is quite possible, it's happened to me. I got lightheaded and knew I was abt to lose consciousness so I tried my best to make it to a chair before I passed out and I did. It's happened twice so it's possible to gradually lose consciousness instead of falling into a faint and dropping like a rock. =D

I still like the series (I still eagerly wait for new episodes and subbed episodes) but I'm kinda sad that it isn't better. I give them a lot of credit for all the work they did with finding great locations and wardrobe but I wish they did better with the script and direction. Most of  the actors and the characters they play are under-utilized in the plot/script which is a shame bec they have a good cast generally.

They could still turn it around and make the latter half work better, we'll have to wait and see, but I really really hope that they have him just accept his position and work hard for it instead of giving it up. I 'm assuming there's a sister in the picture since there is an unknown female in some of the stills but it's kinda ridiculous that there has been zero mention of her so far and it is episode 12 of 20!!! If he gives his position to her, a character who hasn't been around for more than half the series, I will be very very annoyed.

I probably will be LOL.

Wow this has gone on forever! LOL I rambled on and I apologize that it's not as organized as I would like. I just typed what came to mind. I've forgotten some of the details from the past 11 episodes so I could not give more examples but this was already too long anyway LOL!. 

I couldn't agree more! Unlike you, I've watched the original Goong twice or thrice, in its entirety. And while, like you, I was totally frustrated with the ending, especially him giving up the throne, I actually did enjoy the few sweet scenes and especially the one where they finally made peace with each other and acknowledged their love. That series was like sweet torture. The conflict dragged on and on and on and the misunderstandings just seemed to pile one on top of the other. That being said, I thought the series did make up for it with a few key scenes whose sweetness was, to me, hardhitting and very memorable. I urge you to watch the original.

Anyway, I too had high hopes for this drama. I was hoping against hope they would do to what they did to Full House and Kiss Me, which was that they ironed out some annoying kinks in the originals and somehow made it better and more logical. I was also hoping they would not go the way of the original and up the sweetness a bit more. However, now after having watched Episode 15, I think it would be safe to say all my hopes have been dashed. In my mind, there is only one thing that I think is better here than in the original, and that is how Pattie portrayed the princess. Eun Hye is a great actress, but I thought her princess was just too whiny, bordering on bratty, in fact. She was unnecessarily hostile in many instances and only served to aggravate the situation. Here, at least in the first few episodes, you could totally understand the princess's sadness.

However, the rest is just plain bad. Like you said, the transitions and storytelling flow is just all over the place. The worst thing is that there is absolutely no buildup and no development of...of anything. If you watch the original, things would be so much clearer for you. Initially, I thought Tao's Prince Inn was more mature than the original Shin, but as the series progressed, Prince Inn, for me, just lost the strength and maturity I thought he had. I couldn't even tell what his motivations are. And yes, the progress of their relationship is clunky and doesn't really draw you in or make you believe they really are falling in love. The sweet scenes are cute despite that, and could have saved the entire drama if we didn't run into the "fake kiss" wall. That was a total dealbreaker and just killed the only remaining possible value. Kiss scenes are important, and faking it just feels like a total betrayal and just kills the mood.

Anyway, as I said, the original had a few key scenes that I thought really made the drama, despite the overwrought conflicts. One of these was when Shin went almost mad looking for the princess, to the point that he even had to ask the ex if she saw the princess. That was key because it made the ex (whose name I could not recall, but I will just call original Minnie) realize that she really had lost him. At the same time, it made the viewers and Shin himself realize just how far he has fallen for his princess. That desperate search was KEY to everything that comes after, and they took it out. Wow. Talk about bad choices. Also, in the original, it was implied that the prince was very sad and lonely and there were a lot of scenes where you could tell that the princess slowly drew him out of his shell and made him actually happy. This made you understand why he fell for her. In this one, there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the sweet scenes.

Another thing they took out was that lovely scene where they went to the beach and that beautiful shot of them inside his car, hiding out from the rain, her head in his lap. They took that out and replaced it with a super short camping in a tent thing that just came out of the blue. It also doesn't show very clearly how Shin was conflicted for a while but eventually realized he no longer loved original Minnie and had to let her go. He was also, I think, more mature in going about it than Inn, who couldn't seem to communicate properly that it was over.

Oh, wow. I could go on and on. In a nutshell, they did a  really poor job at a remake, IMHO. Lost opportunity. Also, no offense to Pattie but she should really decide not to star in a romance drama if she doesn't want onscreen kisses. She could star in action or comedy flicks instead. One of the things that stood out in the original was the final passionate kiss. The buildup to that scene was immense and the satisfaction great. Knowing this is never going to happen here, or even worse, that they are going to do another botched fake kiss in place of the uber-steamy original is a very sad thought.

11 hours ago, hananiarashi said:

Anyway, I too had high hopes for this drama. I was hoping against hope they would do to what they did to Full House and Kiss Me, which was that they ironed out some annoying kinks in the originals and somehow made it better and more logical. I was also hoping they would not go the way of the original and up the sweetness a bit more. However, now after having watched Episode 15, I think it would be safe to say all my hopes have been dashed. In my mind, there is only one thing that I think is better here than in the original, and that is how Pattie portrayed the princess. Eun Hye is a great actress, but I thought her princess was just too whiny, bordering on bratty, in fact. She was unnecessarily hostile in many instances and only served to aggravate the situation. Here, at least in the first few episodes, you could totally understand the princess's sadness.

However, the rest is just plain bad. Like you said, the transitions and storytelling flow is just all over the place. The worst thing is that there is absolutely no buildup and no development of...of anything. If you watch the original, things would be so much clearer for you. Initially, I thought Tao's Prince Inn was more mature than the original Shin, but as the series progressed, Prince Inn, for me, just lost the strength and maturity I thought he had. I couldn't even tell what his motivations are. And yes, the progress of their relationship is clunky and doesn't really draw you in or make you believe they really are falling in love. The sweet scenes are cute despite that, and could have saved the entire drama if we didn't run into the "fake kiss" wall. That was a total dealbreaker and just killed the only remaining possible value. Kiss scenes are important, and faking it just feels like a total betrayal and just kills the mood.

Anyway, as I said, the original had a few key scenes that I thought really made the drama, despite the overwrought conflicts. One of these was when Shin went almost mad looking for the princess, to the point that he even had to ask the ex if she saw the princess. That was key because it made the ex (whose name I could not recall, but I will just call original Minnie) realize that she really had lost him. At the same time, it made the viewers and Shin himself realize just how far he has fallen for his princess. That desperate search was KEY to everything that comes after, and they took it out. Wow. Talk about bad choices. Also, in the original, it was implied that the prince was very sad and lonely and there were a lot of scenes where you could tell that the princess slowly drew him out of his shell and made him actually happy. This made you understand why he fell for her. In this one, there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the sweet scenes.

Another thing they took out was that lovely scene where they went to the beach and that beautiful shot of them inside his car, hiding out from the rain, her head in his lap. They took that out and replaced it with a super short camping in a tent thing that just came out of the blue. It also doesn't show very clearly how Shin was conflicted for a while but eventually realized he no longer loved original Minnie and had to let her go. He was also, I think, more mature in going about it than Inn, who couldn't seem to communicate properly that it was over.

Oh, wow. I could go on and on. In a nutshell, they did a  really poor job at a remake, IMHO. Lost opportunity. Also, no offense to Pattie but she should really decide not to star in a romance drama if she doesn't want onscreen kisses. She could star in action or comedy flicks instead. One of the things that stood out in the original was the final passionate kiss. The buildup to that scene was immense and the satisfaction great. Knowing this is never going to happen here, or even worse, that they are going to do another botched fake kiss in place of the uber-steamy original is a very sad thought.

I could not agree with your assessment more.  I loved the remake of Full House and thought that Princess Hours would be as good; however, I was wrong.  Although the Korean version of Princess Hours had some episodes that made me cringe; however, as a whole, I liked the drama and watched it more than once.  You are correct that the remake removed the best parts of Princess Hours.  I did not like that Shin gave up the crown; however, I did like that they recommitted themselves to one another at the end.

In the remake, the writer had Inn spend too much time with Minnie and gave her too many chances to screw up his marriage and cause the royal family problems.  Their relationship should have been over much earlier in the script and used that time to develop the relationship between Khaning & Inn.  Where is Minnie pride in herself?  I am so disappointed in this drama.

I also loved the beach scene in the original and the scenes when they spent time acting as a normal couple (shopping and cooking) at the country estate.  When Chae Kyung finally confess her feelings for Shin, the kiss that followed was hot and steamy and when CK run after the car calling Shin, the embrace that followed was over the top. You felt that they loved one another and were heartbroken by the forced separation. Since a real connection has never been established between this couple, all the scenes that made the original great would look out-of-place here.   

What I hate the most about this remake is Inn and Minnie.  As a prince of the country, he knows to place country and duty above personal feelings.  He knows that once he married Khaning, he is married.  Why not make it clear to Minnie, I am the crown prince and I am; therefore, committed to my marriage, and I can't be embroiled with a scandal because not only will it reflect badly on my position, but on the royal family and more importantly the King.  So badly written and director... a good opportunity to improve on the original wasted.

9 hours ago, Carmarie said:

What I hate the most about this remake is Inn and Minnie.  As a prince of the country, he knows to place country and duty above personal feelings.  He knows that once he married Khaning, he is married.  Why not make it clear to Minnie, I am the crown prince and I am; therefore, committed to my marriage, and I can't be embroiled with a scandal because not only will it reflect badly on my position, but on the royal family and more importantly the King.  So badly written and director... a good opportunity to improve on the original wasted.

The following may contain spoilers:

I think that part was in the original as well. It's just that this remake is so badly written, directed and edited that Minnie has been reduced to a stereotype, the lakorn villain, and all subtleties were annihilated. She's like a cardboard copy of the original, as, I think, is Inn. In the original, you could understand where Shin and Hyo-rin (I finally looked up her name) were both coming from. Hyo-rin there is not an evil villain that is bad just for the sake of being bad. We all hated her, but there was a part of us that understood her too. If you think about it, she was the original girlfriend, who happened to just make the mistake of placing her dreams before her love. What happened to her afterwards was her journey of remorse and regret stemming from that decision, and how she tried to get back what she had lost. You could somehow understand her. Shin, in the meantime, was torn from the start between being loyal to the throne and living a normal life and pursuing his dreams. This was made clear very early on, whereas in the Thai version, it's like you're overhearing bits and pieces of this but it's never made clear until much later, when it's too late to form a sympathy for Inn. For Shin, Hyo-rin may have represented or have been a part of that initial dream of leading a normal life for himself versus for the country. For me, at least, this conflict is believable and understandable. Shin is a young man on the verge of taking on a HUGE responsibility, and when we get to know him and when the princess enters his life, he is in the midst of an existential crisis. So, what I mean is, the whole thing with Hyo-rin was understandable because he was so conflicted. He hasn't yet arrived at that point where he realizes who he is and what he should choose. And this is precisely where that drama failed me. I wanted Shin to be like Domyouji at the end of HYD2, to own his destiny and who he is. He could have made concessions. The princess never should have been ousted. They could have found a way to live both their dreams while still owning who they are and living up to the responsibility. It just seemed like a total cop-out to me, that ending, and I really didn't like it. If it were me, I would have ended that drama in that scene where they were walking down the street incognito in the middle of a crowd, like an ordinary couple, and kissing each other under their caps. Whenever I rewatch the original, I end it there because for me that was the better ending. Better leave the issue of the crown hanging than knowing Shin gave up. It seemed to me it should have been a coming-of-age tale for Shin, as for Domyouji, where in the end the hero would realize who he really is. That was my real beef with the original. I also hated when the Princess announced on live TV that she was going to divorce the prince. That was totally selfish and thoughtless and just bad taste. I'm glad that that for one seems to have been removed from this remake. That for me was the princess at her brattiest. I also really didn't like the way Eun Hye's eyes would roll around brattily and shoot daggers at Shin, and how she couldn't seem to avoid Yul when she had other friends she could have turned to. It seemed at times like she was really on the verge of starting an affair with Yul. There were scenes in the original where the way Euh Hye acted implied this. I didn't like the way she was with Yul. That is where I guess the unsubtlety of the Thai version offers a small mercy. We don't get to see all those endless scenes between Yul and the princess where I wanted to shake her and shout, "Stop seeing him, for gadssakes. You're just making everything worse!" I don't know. In the original, it just seemed like she couldn't stop herself from seeing Yul, and I don't get that here at least. So, as I said, I at least like the Princess here a little better, although it's funny how her character seems inconsistent. She swings from being uber childish to petulant to suddenly mature. It's just weird. Oh, well. You really could tell the screenwriter they got for the Thai remake has no skills whatsoever, and no sense of subtlety. This is Goong made into a typical lakorn. This is Goong stripped of all the little things that made it good despite it being "bad" LOL.

I also remember one scene in the original that I loved, and that was of the princess feeding the prince that cabbage roll at the party, right in front of Hyo-rin, and the prince obediently eating. That was like showing everyone, especially Hyo-rin, that he was her man. It was so simple and so domestic and yet at the same time so romantic. I loved it. And they took that out as well! Argh!

1 hour ago, hananiarashi said:

I also remember one scene in the original that I loved, and that was of the princess feeding the prince that cabbage roll at the party, right in front of Hyo-rin, and the prince obediently eating. That was like showing everyone, especially Hyo-rin, that he was her man. It was so simple and so domestic and yet at the same time so romantic. I loved it. And they took that out as well! Argh!

That was my favorite scene too, and when Prince Shin visit Chae Gyeong house, he enjoy how the bounding between chae gyeong family, which i didn't see it in thai version, and also their lack of affection i guess they didn't look so in love hahaha,, i'm trying to not complaint >.< but i still want to enjoy the whole series becoz of my nakhun XD

btw does anyone here know where to watch behind the scene video (ep.0) of this series? thanx

Well I'll start my post by saying that I'm not here to compare both versions. Plus we all know that comparisons are odious. The Korean version and Thai version aren't the same only because are based on the same story or they have the same name, both versions are two different worlds starting from the fact that both are made in two different times. So, if the people is searching a faithful copy of korean version I think that they're wrong.

I'm enjoying the drama...  I'm not lying when I say that I'm enjoying this drama more unlike the Korean dramas that are broadcast right now. (I love my Ruler but that's the truth.)

This week my favorite character is the Grandma... Grandma you speak little but strong. XD!

"This is your problem. Your heart wants to get one thing but (you are) doing another thing."

I think there's no better way to say it. It's great how his grandma can describe him so perfectly just by looking at him one day.

The final scene of episode 15 was really sad because obviously he's in love with her and she's turning into his Achilles heel because although he never wanted to be the crown prince he doesn't want to be a disappointment to his family either. He knows that being the crown prince means that he must fulfill his duties and leave her alone and both are facing that hard fact. Clearly he doesn't want her to suffer what he suffered from childhood but at the same time he loves her and leave her would be a great sacrifice.

My first Korean drama was Princess Hours and up to now it is still one of my favorite K dramas.So far ,I'm really enjoying and beginning to love the Thai version.Of course it helps if you somehow comes to like the lead actors and that's how I find this version.I loved both leads especially Khaning.Somehow this version put a different twist to the old one.I stopped comparing the two dramas and learn to enjoy the drama on it's own merit.Other's may find Khaning's voice as somehow immature or irritating but I think it has something to do with the Thai language,.I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes and hoping that on this version, the crown prince will be the king.

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with comparing the two versions, and it doesn't mean I don't appreciate the cultural differences. For instance, I fully appreciated the Thai version of Full House and thought it was a great improvement from the Korean original, even though I loved that as well. You could tell that the screenplay, directing and editing of that one is far superior to this one even though done by the same production company (Sorry, Ananda. Love you). I also really liked their Itazura na Kiss live-action adaptation "Kiss Me." It took some parts out, put some parts in, but in the end it turned out great. I can't say the same for this one. I really want to enjoy it. I really do, but the poor editing and confusing story flow, and the lack of real emotional draw is really preventing me from doing that. Even without comparing it to the original, it's obvious that it is quite lacking. It had a lot of potential. Pattie is so cute as the princess and Tao looks dashing as the prince, and they do have some chemistry. But the elements I pointed out above just took away from my fully enjoying this drama. I'm just said because it could have been great but it looks like it's not going to be. Maybe just "okay."

Archived