[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Rise of Phoenixes 凰权·弈天下

sugarplum892

It's been more than a year ah! I just watched love and destiny and spoiler for that 

Spoiler

Seeing nini's character come to power in the end gave me serious zhiwei vibes. Even though the voice is different, seeing her in royal garb fierce and finally more mature made me ache for zhiwei. I'm glad it worked out for this character, it sort of made up for me at least seeing her face on a character that has a happy ending. 

Nini is a phenomenal actress. I thought she couldn't get more beautiful, more endearing, more piercing. 

Even though in the beginning of that show her character is a completely diff person from feng zhiwei, later on she made me think of zhiwei and the epic unforgettable ROTP. 

I wonder if anyone has watched Quippequest's recap videos on YouTube. 

She's done them upto the last ep. For those who'd like to laugh and reminisce. 

• Like 1

@lanjung.......I currently am working on a TROP fanfic, that is actually turning out to be a second season. I'm not trying to re-write the ending (there are some very interesting things they actually did with the ending that I wanted to keep)  -- just use the end as the set-up for a second season. And, this fanfic has proven to be quite an interesting rabbit hole that I've travelled down -- maybe one day when I'm finished (because I won't give ya'll a 1/2 finished hope of happiness -- I hate that) I'll post a link to it here... :sweatingbullets:

@niniandkun o_o Omg. *runsofftowatchallofQuippequest'srecaps* I've spent hours trying to find reviews like this on Youtube.

I've been afraid to watch Love and Destiny, because they over dubbed Nini's actual voice (a common practice I personally hate the most about most Cdrama's....). I also was afraid that the director would make Nini act like all 10 miles of peach blossom female leads.... weak.

Also, I finally broke down and watched Moonlovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (after reading so many comments after I back-read almost every post on this thread yes, yes I did that) for the first time. I kept refusing -- because I only wanted one drama in my heart to be my one true drama (oh the feels). But, I decided it was time to try something new. One, there are some eerily similar themes, and two -- don't crucify me on this -- I actually enjoyed SHR more. IU's acting is nothing compared to Nini, and I love FZ character more. Buuuuttt, when you do all your own fighting stunts (own 4 black belts in various martial arts), can actually ride a horse and can act brilliantly. Lee Joon Gi has Chen Kun beat. I'm so sorry but LJG is gorgeous. one more thing... omg LJG's voice.

Edited by Naomi
  • Love 2

@Naomi Well to be fair love and destiny is a different genre, it's more like ten miles of peach blossoms and sadly her character is seriously annoying in the beginning, very typical cheesy naive c drama lead. But NiNi sort of makes it bearable. The dubbing is grating and high pitched. You get used to it though. 

And their chemistry is good. Especially later on. Because of the genre it doesn't have the depth of ningyi and zhiwei but I still recommend if you don't mind xianxia and appreciate love stories. The end is worth it. 

I loved moon lovers. I think kdramas bring a totally different feel. More streamlined and in your face dramatic but still nice. IU did what was required of her in SHR and LJG :love::love:ugh don't even tell me, his voice... And his eyes and his hair in show :weary:. His acting was better than IU's but her looks/face matched the role and made up for it (not that there was much lacking) 

IU really delivered in hotel del luna though, acting on point there. 

I won't compare LJG to Chen kun because Ning Yi is a more complex role but I think they're both good. 

If you like strong females, the chick in story of yanxi Palace is a rock. She's a bit cold though. And that show while pretty good dragged a lot in between and is a bit suffocating. It focuses on harem politics though, don't expect a sweeping romance. 

As for Korean historical, Empress Ki! Must watch.

Oh and since we're talking of other shows (oops sorry for spamming the thread) Search: WWW is modern show with amazing female characters. 

On 11/18/2019 at 12:16 AM, niniandkun said:

I loved moon lovers. I think kdramas bring a totally different feel. More streamlined and in your face dramatic but still nice. IU did what was required of her in SHR and LJG :love::love:ugh don't even tell me, his voice... And his eyes and his hair in show :weary:. His acting was better than IU's but her looks/face matched the role and made up for it (not that there was much lacking)

Hahahaha. ah. yeah... Moonlovers has left me broken and full altogether at once. Full when I think back to all the scenes they gave us (Those kisses and stolen moments), and yet so VERY broken. I've been thinking about this (since I've been working on a TROP fanfic), SHR left us with our OTP back on track and in love -- just heartbroken from the separation (You'll find her --you're the Wolf-prince after all). Neither of our OTPs have a pride issue (at least not at the level of NY/FZ) --their entire relationship is based off of honesty, trust and the overwhelming sacrificial love of So :heart: (when he knowingly and willing drank that poison -- I forgave him of any and all possessiveness).

However, with TROP -- there's some serious unfinished business between our OTP. Yes there is still love there -- but its going to take some time apart to heal the wounds. Also open communication! ZW and NY have always lacked honesty and trust with each other.

@Naomi omg if any other show needs a fanfic or season 2 it's moonlovers. Though I wasn't too devastated (compared to Trop), because it was meaningfully tragic. I guess after TROP my standards for tragedy are really low. My biggest fear was that he would become the ruthless king from her history and kill everyone but he didn't. That show had such a light to it I can't explain, the time travel bit isn't logical and idk it's not a super smart plot or anything but those characters damn.. go right to your heart. The first half was soo much fun and the second half hits you in the feels. I liked haeso's transformation too. They were so likable and adorable. Not to mention so many beautiful people to look at. 

The kind of feels I got from it I don't think I'll get anywhere. It was one of a kind. It's too bad it didn't do well in Korea. I guess that type of show won't come out again. 

With TROP ugh... Lol its been a year and here I am cribbing about the same thing on this thread, they ruined what was built up from the beginning. It wasn't a meaningful tragedy. Even if they wanted to take the story in this direction they didn't show it in a way that did justice to the first 50 ep. And yet here I am 1yr later. That's how much impact it had. It had the potential to be a great classic. If only they'd taken the direction of the novel or at least improved the script so the ending didn't look so pathetic. Many people had explained the reasoning behind why the story turned out like that and I get it (even though the surprise dacheng Prince still bugs me) it shouldnt have to be explained. I get that it was rushed but we needed more ep to expand on both NY and ZW's final journeys. NY giving it all up for mom and then wanting it back, then his king persona and ZY willing to forget the oath for NY and later putting all her trust and sentiments in this stranger Prince brother, and last ugh deciding to jump off a cliff because she thought that was the only way to give her people a new life and NY a chance to rule peacefully. We can infer how they changed and the reasons for it but its a show. We should have been privy to the transformation. Its like they pressed fastforward and we only saw highlights. Really jarring compared the first half of the show. Its as if two people we knew so well and always opened up to us suddenly decide to keep to themselves, act in mysterious ways and not tell us what's happening with them. We have to guess from the outside based on circumstances why they're acting the way they do. 

I ought to check out the links @storyofthestone posted. Good luck to your fanfics! :blush:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All - I’m new to C-dramas, but after watching ROTP, I’m hooked. I’ve never heard of Soompi before, I found this forum just looking for people talking about the show ( so pls forgive me if I do anything stupid). Since finishing ROTP for the first time, I’ve read all the posts here, but never created an account to be part of the discussion because I really thought this obsession would go away, but here I am, almost a year later...

There are so many things that I love about this drama (the characters, the love-story,  the cinematography, the clothes, (most of) the acting), but I think the reason I keep watching it every time I have a free moment is because of its flaws. It kills me that the script just fell apart exponentially towards the end, so I find myself trying to figure out what they (script-writers, directors, etc...) were possibly thinking to present the story as we see it. 

But while I know that some dialogue/scenes/edits/choices were just bad on them, I also always wonder if maybe I’m just missing something. I don’t speak Mandarin and I’m also not that bright, so it seems very possible that some things that drive me crazy could possibly just be lost in translation. Or that some questions I have do actually have an answer. 

I’ve really enjoyed reading everyone’s insight on this forum, but I like NEED more detail so I can stop watching this show all the time. I was wondering if anyone knows a place where people are breaking down the discussion by episode (and all 70)? I’ve only been able to find stuff about the general plot or the awesome recaps by QuippeQuest. And if it doesn’t exist yet, would this be a good forum for it? I mean, I’m watching the show anyway, so I might as well make it productive :) Thx in advance!

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Fangsi said:

Hi All - I’m new to C-dramas, but after watching ROTP, I’m hooked. I’ve never heard of Soompi before, I found this forum just looking for people talking about the show ( so pls forgive me if I do anything stupid). Since finishing ROTP for the first time, I’ve read all the posts here, but never created an account to be part of the discussion because I really thought this obsession would go away, but here I am, almost a year later...

There are so many things that I love about this drama (the characters, the love-story,  the cinematography, the clothes, (most of) the acting), but I think the reason I keep watching it every time I have a free moment is because of its flaws. It kills me that the script just fell apart exponentially towards the end, so I find myself trying to figure out what they (script-writers, directors, etc...) were possibly thinking to present the story as we see it. 

But while I know that some dialogue/scenes/edits/choices were just bad on them, I also always wonder if maybe I’m just missing something. I don’t speak Mandarin and I’m also not that bright, so it seems very possible that some things that drive me crazy could possibly just be lost in translation. Or that some questions I have do actually have an answer. 

I’ve really enjoyed reading everyone’s insight on this forum, but I like NEED more detail so I can stop watching this show all the time. I was wondering if anyone knows a place where people are breaking down the discussion by episode (and all 70)? I’ve only been able to find stuff about the general plot or the awesome recaps by QuippeQuest. And if it doesn’t exist yet, would this be a good forum for it? I mean, I’m watching the show anyway, so I might as well make it productive :) Thx in advance!

How I love people who love TROP like you. i used to be like you, searching for anywhere, any informations about TROP. Sometimes feeling lonely when there are few people care about it ...

at the moment, I have joined some pages. 
you can search " The Rise of Phoenixes Fan Group (unofficial) in facebook to join, and if you want to discuss each episodes, you can post there. We are always welcome you

On 1/5/2020 at 2:26 AM, Fangsi said:

The only episode by episode recaps for Rise of Phoenixes I've found are here: https://drivingsideways33.tumblr.com/post/182142343017/the-rise-of-phoenixes-reviews-master-post The writer is very smart and very funny! Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 9:53 AM, storyofthestone said:

I love that, a year later, people are still discovering and loving this drama! All I have to say is that fanfiction saved me after The Rise of Phoenixes. Also watching The Story of Minglan took some of the edge off my sorrow. Anyway, all the episodes after Jinshi really really really pissed me off with the questionable writing and the terrible editing. It wasn't just the last five minutes that were bad for me. So I tend to want fics that rewrite the entire last fifteen episode arc of the show. 

Here are some of my favorites, in case you need some balm for your soul.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/17667551/chapters/41669054

https://archiveofourown.org/works/16803802/chapters/39441448

https://archiveofourown.org/works/18060569/chapters/42684347

Hello storyofthestone. I just finish this series a week ago and still freaking pissed off by the last 15 episode that u just mention! Like OMG I feel the exact same way. Not because the tragic ending, well It would be nice if they end up together. but what really upsetting is the writing of the last 15 eps. Jinshi Part could’ve done better tho. But after Jinshi, thing just got worse! Like what happened to our brilliant Ning Yi and ZhiWei! I really want to have a word with this writter smh! Ning Yi totally got the thron by luck lol.
phew I’m glad that someone feel the same way as I do.  

This is one of my favorite drama. From the plot down to the acting. Everything was great^^. It was so sad when she

Spoiler

died

With her characteristic, she wouldn't stay with him, even though she loves him. It was right how it ended. Also, the osts in here is very good!!! This is what I like about Chinese drama; they usually have good osts that fit for the drama.

Hey All - Sorry to have ghosted, I took some time to rewatch some episodes, so I could ask some questions here. Thanks to Lanjung, Skibbies and StoryoftheStone for getting back to me! @storyofthestone, thanks especially for that link you provided; I’ve never seen those posts before and I had a great time reading through that :) But still, I have so many questions...

I’m not sure the best way to do this, but I watched through episode 22, and wrote down all my questions. Since I have a few starting on Ep2, I think I’ll just start there and see how it goes, but I don’t have questions for every episode and for some, it’s only one, so if you don’t give up on me, I’ll probably make posts with several episodes grouped together. I’m already embarrassed that I have so many...

Anyway, here it goes. So, Ep2, around 12min (Netflix version), I’m confused on the timeline of things after this flashback. The guards are carrying out 2 bodies, one big, and one small, and I’m assuming it’s Gu Heng and the supposed remnant of DaCheng. And Ning Chuan (NC) says he’s captured a member of Bloody Pagoda (BP), Gu Yan (GY), who can confirm their identities. But then the Emperor asks GY what should be done with the leader of BP and the remnant of Dacheng, like they’re still alive? And GY says the Emperor should show them mercy. So, is the Emperor talking about giving them a respectful burial or something, or am I not understanding this convo?

After watching through to Episode 22, I still cannot figure out if it was Xin Ziyan (XZ) or Ning Sheng (NS) that killed the royal guard, pretending it was BP. In the convo Ning Yi (NY) has with XZ, XZ makes it sound like he planned it,  but later in Ep9, it seems that NS admits to it?

At 14:25min, XZ says to NY, “I went through great lengths to resurrect BP. Do you know why?” And NY says, “Whatever they do, they do it for the title of the crown prince. Now that they have taken action, why don’t we give them a hand?” I don’t get what they’re talking about here and who exactly the ‘they’ is referring to?

17:23min, So did NS start the rumor about the remnant being seen in his kingdom? Peng Pei (PP) says to NS, “you can ask his majesty to go to the fief to settle this matter” and NS basically responds with ‘let’s stay under the radar’. Did he start that rumor just so that he could be ordered to go back home (in the beginning, it’s mentioned somewhere that the princes were kinda forced to live in the capital, instead of their own kingdoms) or did he have a bigger plan with that rumor?

29:11min, I’m not sure I completely understand NY and Ning Chengs convo starting here, if someone could break it down for me, I’d appreciate it. But, some specific questions: NY references that NS gave them a big gift, was that the rumor or the killing of the royal guard (both?)? Then NY tells Ning Cheng that he wants to keep NS from leaving the capital, using the money that NS gave to Ning Cheng, but what was the plan? How was that money ever used to keep NS from leaving?

33:33min, just a comment, Feng Zhiwei (FZ) tells Zhuyin (ZY) her real name when they first meet, but when NY assumes that FZ must be Yuluo, ZY doesn’t say anything. Pretty mean :)

Thanks for listening (I feel like Ning Yan...)

Couldn't resist creating an account!! I've just watched all 70 episodes of this show (though I did skip a bit here and there as I had read the spoilers online and was only obsessed with FZW and NY)... I LOVE THIS SHOW SOOO MUCH! Been listening to the soundtrack for days. Not sure if this was posted before - I find that the composer did explain the meaning of the song sung by Ni Ni in a BTS video uploaded to YouTube. Crappy translation of the video: Basically it's about having to separate due to fundamental differences but at the same time loving each other and wishing each other well from a distance. *sob*

I tried recommending this show to my friends. One of them refused to watch cuz "Chen Kun's nose looks fake" (I googled and he's rumoured to have done plastic surgery LOOOL) and another said "I can't watch 70 episodes it's too long"!! NOBODY APPRECIATES THIS SHOW IM SAD.  Super thrilled to have found this forum~ I plan to re-watch the 70 episodes again without skipping any parts (kinda hard considering I don't give a rabbit sh_t about some characters e.g. the bald Da Cheng prince or NY's pathetic siblings etc.)!

<3 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, languidgrace said:

Couldn't resist creating an account!! I've just watched all 70 episodes of this show (though I did skip a bit here and there as I had read the spoilers online and was only obsessed with FZW and NY)... I LOVE THIS SHOW SOOO MUCH! Been listening to the soundtrack for days. Not sure if this was posted before - I find that the composer did explain the meaning of the song sung by Ni Ni in a BTS video uploaded to YouTube. Crappy translation of the video: Basically it's about having to separate due to fundamental differences but at the same time loving each other and wishing each other well from a distance. *sob*

I tried recommending this show to my friends. One of them refused to watch cuz "Chen Kun's nose looks fake" (I googled and he's rumoured to have done plastic surgery LOOOL) and another said "I can't watch 70 episodes it's too long"!! NOBODY APPRECIATES THIS SHOW IM SAD.  Super thrilled to have found this forum~ I plan to re-watch the 70 episodes again without skipping any parts (kinda hard considering I don't give a rabbit sh_t about some characters e.g. the bald Da Cheng prince or NY's pathetic siblings etc.)!

<3 

Hug, hug, why all the fans of GOT always have to spend the same feeling ( sad, disapointed) while introducing TROP to other people!!!!
some of them said it's too long, some said they think main actor/actress is not visual, some said they don't get the story, too complicated, too hard to understand; even some like CK said cause CK's acting's too good then They found the other actors' boring/ not good enough to watch. Some said this film makes they focus too much on details and they feel tired ....

I'm too in love with TROP, then I used to try to promote TROP everywhere/ everytime I can. And all the old TROP fans (in my country) said I had tried uselessly/TROP is not for everyone, they had tried and fail .... and then They let it go. Who love TROP will stay, and who's not ready will go ... Just let it be ... :(( no more trying to convince anyone. 

• Like 2

On 1/15/2019 at 10:30 PM, niniandkun said:

Been so long since i last came on here. I'm glad I came back just so I could read this.

I love the idea of Zhiwei being pregnant but how does she not miscarry after a fall? oh well. I still love these characters. It's been so long but they still have a special place in my heart.

I just started watching story of yanxi palace. Really like it so far...plot and pacing. But characters still aren't as magnetic as the ones in ROTP. And manchu aesthetic takes some getting used to...(the men's hairstyles ugh...).

Yep, totally agree with you. I've watched 1/4 of Yanxi Palace before. It was really addictive with its fast-paced plot, but I don't really care about the female lead, the king (forgot his name lmao) or any of the characters. ESPECIALLY THE KING - I find him utterly dull. The relationship between the female lead and the king also seems quite artificial.

I tried watching 1-2 episodes of Ashes of Love yesterday. Couldn't manage to finish episode 2... the female lead is such a typical cutesy and naive girl I absolutely cannot stand it! She and the male lead didn't have much chemistry either. The best part of the drama is probably the first 5 mins where the mother dies LOOOOOL. Oh and the special effects make me cringe. Apologies to fellow Ashes of Love fans... guess this isn't my cup of tea :) 

Does any TROP fan have any good historical C-drama recommendations?

Edited by languidgrace

On 1/30/2020 at 6:28 AM, languidgrace said:

Yep, totally agree with you. I've watched 1/4 of Yanxi Palace before. It was really addictive with its fast-paced plot, but I don't really care about the female lead, the king (forgot his name lmao) or any of the characters. ESPECIALLY THE KING - I find him utterly dull. The relationship between the female lead and the king also seems quite artificial.

I tried watching 1-2 episodes of Ashes of Love yesterday. Couldn't manage to finish episode 2... the female lead is such a typical cutesy and naive girl I absolutely cannot stand it! She and the male lead didn't have much chemistry either. The best part of the drama is probably the first 5 mins where the mother dies LOOOOOL. Oh and the special effects make me cringe. Apologies to fellow Ashes of Love fans... guess this isn't my cup of tea :) 

Does any TROP fan have any good historical C-drama recommendations?

Keep trying on Ashe of Love for a few more episode. It’s one of my favorite. I haven’t been on Chinese historical type for a decade. I used to watch them when I was young. Then I only goes for korean and romance type. Then a friend recommended ‘Nirvana in Fire’ and it blown me away. Love everything about it. After that i tried looking for something similar to it. Couldn’t find any, and end up watching ‘Legend of Fuyao’ It was good until nearly the end, kinda disappointed. But it’s a pretty good one. After that I watch Ten Miles of peach blossom. It was alright. I only like a bit of romance part. The rest of the story just not important and uninteresting. Then Ashe of love. OMG. Love everything about it. Plot is interesting with the nice pace. The romance part was one of the best!. I was new to both main lead. Didn’t pay attention to the female lead at first too. She’s only naive and childish in the beginning. She grown up. The first half was sweet and romantic And the other half was sad and bitter-sweet. About the special effects I feel the same lol. But you will get use to it. Only if you prefer a sweet emotional romance type at the moment. I recommend Ashe of love.  

I finish Love and Destiny awhile ago. It was pretty good soemthing to kill time. Kinda slow and boring some time but I like the lead chemistry. I fell in love with Ni Ni after that. That’s why I’m willing to give the Rise of Phoenixes a try. I was blown away by Chen Kun acting. The acting, characters, customs and cinematography just top quality. Gosh I’m still obsessed with this series And this couple. Why can’t they date already!!! I’m praying hard everyday for the second season!!.

Yep that’s all the Chinese series I had watch in these couple years. And my favorite would be Nirvana in Fire, Ashe of Love and The Rise of Phoenixes :). Im also looking for something good to watch too. I want to move on from these pain and suffering of The Rise Of Phoenixes. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2020 at 11:40 PM, Fangsi said:

Hey All - Sorry to have ghosted, I took some time to rewatch some episodes, so I could ask some questions here. Thanks to Lanjung, Skibbies and StoryoftheStone for getting back to me! @storyofthestone, thanks especially for that link you provided; I’ve never seen those posts before and I had a great time reading through that :) But still, I have so many questions...

I’m not sure the best way to do this, but I watched through episode 22, and wrote down all my questions. Since I have a few starting on Ep2, I think I’ll just start there and see how it goes, but I don’t have questions for every episode and for some, it’s only one, so if you don’t give up on me, I’ll probably make posts with several episodes grouped together. I’m already embarrassed that I have so many...

Anyway, here it goes. So, Ep2, around 12min (Netflix version), I’m confused on the timeline of things after this flashback. The guards are carrying out 2 bodies, one big, and one small, and I’m assuming it’s Gu Heng and the supposed remnant of DaCheng. And Ning Chuan (NC) says he’s captured a member of Bloody Pagoda (BP), Gu Yan (GY), who can confirm their identities. But then the Emperor asks GY what should be done with the leader of BP and the remnant of Dacheng, like they’re still alive? And GY says the Emperor should show them mercy. So, is the Emperor talking about giving them a respectful burial or something, or am I not understanding this convo?

After watching through to Episode 22, I still cannot figure out if it was Xin Ziyan (XZ) or Ning Sheng (NS) that killed the royal guard, pretending it was BP. In the convo Ning Yi (NY) has with XZ, XZ makes it sound like he planned it,  but later in Ep9, it seems that NS admits to it?

At 14:25min, XZ says to NY, “I went through great lengths to resurrect BP. Do you know why?” And NY says, “Whatever they do, they do it for the title of the crown prince. Now that they have taken action, why don’t we give them a hand?” I don’t get what they’re talking about here and who exactly the ‘they’ is referring to?

17:23min, So did NS start the rumor about the remnant being seen in his kingdom? Peng Pei (PP) says to NS, “you can ask his majesty to go to the fief to settle this matter” and NS basically responds with ‘let’s stay under the radar’. Did he start that rumor just so that he could be ordered to go back home (in the beginning, it’s mentioned somewhere that the princes were kinda forced to live in the capital, instead of their own kingdoms) or did he have a bigger plan with that rumor?

29:11min, I’m not sure I completely understand NY and Ning Chengs convo starting here, if someone could break it down for me, I’d appreciate it. But, some specific questions: NY references that NS gave them a big gift, was that the rumor or the killing of the royal guard (both?)? Then NY tells Ning Cheng that he wants to keep NS from leaving the capital, using the money that NS gave to Ning Cheng, but what was the plan? How was that money ever used to keep NS from leaving?

33:33min, just a comment, Feng Zhiwei (FZ) tells Zhuyin (ZY) her real name when they first meet, but when NY assumes that FZ must be Yuluo, ZY doesn’t say anything. Pretty mean :)

Thanks for listening (I feel like Ning Yan...)

Just reposting to see if anyone might be interested in helping me. If not, I’ll take the hint :) TIA!

16 hours ago, Fangsi said:

Just reposting to see if anyone might be interested in helping me. If not, I’ll take the hint :) TIA!

Ep2: in that morning, 1 guard of Royal Guard was murder. When Gu Yan examine the body,  he recognized a halberd ( from Bloody Pagoda), he seems worry and the flash back time to when The Royal Prince captured Gu Yan and brought him to the King with a testify about the ninth prince of Da Cheng Empire (who is already dead with Gu Heng). Gu Yen is the prime leader of Bloody Pagoda, then when leader died, prime leader automatically being the leader. That's the reason the King ask him what should he do with the leader(means Gu Yen); and Gu Yen beg for mercy for him, his wife, children and the remnants. The King agreed and used him --- then he became the betrayer. (that's why if Bloody Pagoda hate him and send that message became reasonable) 

2. Ning Sheng is the one killed Royal Guard, but Xin Ziyan is not innocent. He is the one made the halberd and by someway let Ning Sheng know and then use it for his motivation. XY just tell NY that he made it and let the greedy one makes his way.

.... for the rest, I'll discuss with you later. i got to go now