Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Rise of Phoenixes 凰权·弈天下

On 11/12/2018 at 11:04 PM, stella77 said:

@sonosong  CK is an amazing actor and I have been a fan since 2008 after watching Painted Skin. Also, I grew up with the C-entertainment industry and have seen various shows all these years. TROP has its own unique place in terms of leveling up the production and quality of C dramas. However, it still has weakness. There is no malicious intent to attack this show or CK. It is just my honest thoughts that his acting pulled me out of the drama at times...I became thinking about his acting more than following the story. I also find some supporting actors and actresses weak. It is a just a difference of thoughts and likes. 

Stella, is CK Straight or gay?? Sometimes in his acting I found some mannerisms?? It is just curiosity...

On 10/30/2019 at 2:36 AM, Maria marcela said:

Stella, is CK Straight or gay?? Sometimes in his acting I found some mannerisms?? It is just curiosity...

What kind of manerisms make you wonder about his sexual life?? 
:)) I have the same question, i've seen some of his interview, and quite surprise that He seem like not prefer female. But that just mu opinion only. What if he hide too good for us to know him

On 9/25/2019 at 5:59 AM, Naomi said:

Omg. I finally found you -- my people -- if anyone is still even talking about TROP here. And yes I read every single one of your posts on this thread, because it was soothing to hear other people out there have similar opinions on TROP to me -- I'm not alone in thinking that I accidentally spoiled my ability to watch any other Wuxia or Xianxia dramas because I’m measure them up to TROP and they are always found wanting. I tried getting my bestfriend (that watches alot of Kdrama and Xianxia) into it, and after she finally finished it was like, that was long, confusing and boring with a sad ending to the romance and an unattractive male lead.

o_o

WARNING..... VERY long and rambling treatise ahead, enter at your own risk.

Enter only if you truly love TROP and accidentally found yourself being a fangirl for the first time in your life of Chen Kun, and have wasted hours of your life watching every english subtitled drama, movie, and bts interview he's ever been in just to some how get more Ning Yi. I highly recommend Lost in 1949. People, FZ and NY need closer! I NEED closer!  ...0.O ....I need help...... xD

I accidentally stumbled across the Rise of the Phoenixes, last February, after watching Red Cliff, and finding myself wanting more ancient China drama -- so on whim looked to to see if there was a Chinese live action version of Mulan, where low and behold the internet gave me Hua Mulan: Rise of the Warrior (I had no idea WHO was in Hua Mulan at the time, except for the female lead). After finishing Hua Mulan (I ugly cried so hard when Wentai "died" and I normally don't cry in movies) I was ready to find me a good Chinese tv show that didn't look like every character was swathed in about 100 yards of white chiffon (looking at you ten miles of peach blossoms... looking at you) and the ending was happier. Off to Netflix I went to find something for fill my heart-broken (yeah I cried again at the end of Mulan) Hua Mulan "hang-over." Only to find -- what is this? The first season of a political/forbidden romance ancient Chinese drama? Inwardly thinking  "political drama?! I love political dramas! and paww! forbidden romance? No romance is truly forbidden, that just means that they'll end up together in at the very end and live happily ever after." What could possibly go wrong (oh you innocent, stupid, idealist......>_<....)???

...Back to my ever growing treatise on why I just (as of today) finished re-watching TROP for the 4th time, and will probably watch it many more times, each time hoping that magically, Netflix has changed the ending.... o_o ........ oh god, I just described insanity.....

I immediately dove right in, falling in love with...everything. Everything was gorgeous and stately, the story was taking it's time to develop the world and everyone in it (it felt like the Cdrama version of many Masterpiece BBC dramas). I throughly enjoyed being lost in the world and the political intrigue because the show expects you to pay attention and pick things up as the story moves along. I know that this is actually one of the many criticisms of this drama and I'm not sure why, because all great literature starts slow, and gradually picks up pace as the story adds themes and plots. Another sign of good literature, is not giving your audience anything more than they need to know -- which I felt this show did very well (I'm not talking about those last.... however many episodes that I wish don't exist, unless they ever plan on making a second season which is extremely unlikely). The "bad guys" were actually complex characters that actually "beat" the "good guys" I'm using quotation marks here, because this is another thing that was done brilliantly -- they showed the messiness of humanity, and struggled with messy ethical questions like "does the end out weigh the means?” “Does getting revenge actually satisfy?” I really liked the theme of power doesn’t have to just be a tool for evil, but can bring peace and justice. Having power isn’t evil, it’s what you do with it can make it evil…. “with great power comes great reasonability” I know some of you have previously done a better job of describing the themes in detail, so I won’t struggle to rehash them, I just agree with you. I love literature that actually asks these sort of questions, rather than….. blah blah romance blah blah smut smut smut…. the end…. I love romance. But it has to be done well. You can’t make me believe that just by being saved out of a fire and nursing a random stranger back to health that people fall madly, nay —Eternally— in love (lookin’ at you princess weiyoung and ten miles of peach blossoms). You might have formed an infatuation…. but not eternal love. *coughexcusemyhateontenmilesofpeachblossomsforamomentcough*

Right from the start I loved the sassy yet witty, boyish Feng Zhiwei. I laughed at her hijinks of trying to get her little self out of an arranged marriage to some random prince. Later on when she goes to Qingming, liked how they made Nini (a gorgeous model) look just boyish enough to be believable that she could disguise herself as a young man with out the audience having to do the whole suspense of disbelief thing that most other Cdramas do. I have more that I want to say about FZ character and her change from a carefree innocent (she’s kinda the audience’s POV character, as she learns more about the political struggle so does the audience) At the beginning, I was totally confused about where Headmaster Ziyan’s and who he actually was working for/siding with. Though, as the story developed we learn other than FZ he's the only other one willing to call out NY. There are some many other characters that are so well developed….. that I could sit and write a whole series of essays on their motives and the themes surrounding them…. but I won’t bore you with that because this post is already way too long. I’ll just ramble about my favorite character. At the beginning, the one character that I wasn't so sure about was actually our male protagonist. He seemed... this strange mixture of frightening intensity and childlike weakness. He didn't feel safe or totally sane for that matter and I definitely didn't think he was attractive (hahahahahahahahahaha). I actually don’t know like some of you have mentioned before when you found Ning Yi, deeply attractive. I think its when you start to see the person underneath the sea of masks he wears depending on the person he’s interacting with. And that’s first thing that NY notices and attracts him to FZ — she sees right through him. I think right around the time we get our almost kiss scene (in my head I finish the scene with a kiss, because that underwater thing… was awful…. I mean they actually show a whole night passing…. so take that for whatever you want) was when I decided that I found NY attractive….. scratch that. I loved his playful banter with FZ on the walk-way in his palace… so  ¯\_()_/¯ ….. its Chen Kun… he’s beautiful…*coughhes43whyishesostilldangattractive?!?!?cough* moving on. I actually don’t even no where to start with his character…. there’s just so much, like how throughout the drama he begins to drop his masks, and starts becoming the emperor. There is no doubt why he is chosen from Minhai onward, he’s basically been running about solving international issues. He straight-up solves Jinshi’s problems and sets up Helian (ughhh….. Helian…….just why????……I don’t even have the mental bandwidth to express my thoughts on him) as king. I didn’t realize that until this last watch, FZ and NY, solve all of Helian’s problems….(how does the man repay him… by feeding a petty childish hatred toward him. You idiot. You knew what you were getting into with this marriage from the beginning) Helian, spends the whole time angry and waving his big sword about…. like he does…. Until his total character/relationship dynamic assassination that we get in that horrible bedroom scene that we shall not speck of. Something else that I noted in this re-watch was NY love towards FZ, he cares so much about her, that he’s afraid to admit his true feelings toward her incase she doesn’t reciprocate, because that would make her feel pressured to love him, which he couldn’t handle.

….. I have so much more to say about TROP that I want to say, but I’ve already written too much…..

Congrats if you read through this all and you were able to make some sense of it… o_0

I need some serious help. Or a second season… and I have yet to find a fanfic that didn’t mess up the relationship dynamic between NY and FZ, and lets be honest — that’s the main reason TROP was so good.

oh, I wanna hug you ...

cause I have the same obsession like you.

I introduce this drama to many people, and all they reply just it's too long to see, the leads are not attractive; the content is too difficult to understanding ....

I'm always in disappointed situations cause no one feel the way I feel ....

they even don't save any time to give it a glance ... 

i feel pity for this kind of good drama ... feel pity for NiNi and Chen Kun .... with their excellent acting, but can not have a consider that they deserve to have ...

I love that, a year later, people are still discovering and loving this drama! All I have to say is that fanfiction saved me after The Rise of Phoenixes. Also watching The Story of Minglan took some of the edge off my sorrow. Anyway, all the episodes after Jinshi really really really pissed me off with the questionable writing and the terrible editing. It wasn't just the last five minutes that were bad for me. So I tend to want fics that rewrite the entire last fifteen episode arc of the show. 

Here are some of my favorites, in case you need some balm for your soul.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/17667551/chapters/41669054

https://archiveofourown.org/works/16803802/chapters/39441448

https://archiveofourown.org/works/18060569/chapters/42684347

• Love 1

@lanjung*hugs* I completely agree the actors did not receive the accolades they should have for TROP. And again when trying to introduce TROP to one of my Chinese language (why yes, TROP did encourage me to study Chinese --I'd call that a win) classmates, and again ran into the "Its just another long c-drama filled with a bunch of old and ugly men named Ning" argument. Okay. :(

@storyofthestone I spent almost an entire night reading those fanfics. Thank you.

Also, some questions to the TROP fans that have read/write fanfic --has anyone else noticed that there are some trends among all the fanfic ending re-writes? One of them is that Feng Zhiwei is better at Go than Ning Yi, and the second is that FZ ends up becoming the Queen/Emperor/Overthrowing Ning Yi?

The first one really makes me scratch me head, because all threw out the drama its repeated stated how decidedly bad FZ is at Go. NY, often teases her about it and because of that he used it as way of telling her he's fine (when he's most definitely not) because he's still teasing her. Its also one of those little endearing things about FZ that makes her different than NY. At least to me it makes her come across as less calculating and more straightforward (she's still brilliant, but less obtuse than NY, who is king at talking in riddles). Why change that of all things?

The second divergence is often FZ ends up ruling (because NY's, newly founded empire is failing), and implementing some rather forward-forward thinking laws for the era (I'm all for feminism -- but lets try to be some what historically correct here for the Tang dynasty). But that was a tangent, often I feel like these fanfics paint him very similar to the King (I can't remember his name) in "The King's Woman." (I highly recommend that c-drama btw) Even though, yes they have similarities -- they are very different. NY, although he has blood on his hands, you know each and everyone of them he carries with him in a long growing list of people he personally has failed -- with not but least FZ. He would be a much more broken man than often portrayed in -- because deep down -- he's just that hurt and lonely child that wants his mom and wants to save other hurt and lonely people like him (He's a pathological rescuer -- that's why its so important to him to be ZW savior). He's more broken than he will ever admit to himself (this is why when he finds out his mom is still alive and ZW is being married off to HZ he's like "I'm tired of playing the game" I give up) -- ZW, not even Xin I think from my re-watch can see this. Anywho, that was longer than expected. I have alot thoughts on TROP. Im sorry.

Haha. sorry, one last thing about that irks me in fanfics is the need to give Ning Yi strong alliances. That was a HUGE part of his new idea for his justice system, and he repeatedly states that no preference will be given to those with high connections (this is why I think he starts tearing up when Xin tells him he murdered Ning Qi's mom out of anger -- Xin is reminding him that even he, NY's closest friend is not exempt from the law that they dreamed about for the land), but all will be justly tried for their crimes against the laws of the land. All of his most trusted alliances in the drama are earned throughout the drama. This is already very forward thinking for day and negates the argument that he'd have to marry into all the ruling family/take as concubines from them to form the powerful alliances necessary to rule --he even makes a joke about this in the drama.

Oof. I did it again. sorry.

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2019 at 11:44 AM, Naomi said:

@lanjung*hugs* I completely agree the actors did not receive the accolades they should have for TROP. And again when trying to introduce TROP to one of my Chinese language (why yes, TROP did encourage me to study Chinese --I'd call that a win) classmates, and again ran into the "Its just another long c-drama filled with a bunch of old and ugly men named Ning" argument. Okay. :(

@storyofthestone I spent almost an entire night reading those fanfics. Thank you.

Also, some questions to the TROP fans that have read/write fanfic --has anyone else noticed that there are some trends among all the fanfic ending re-writes? One of them is that Feng Zhiwei is better at Go than Ning Yi, and the second is that FZ ends up becoming the Queen/Emperor/Overthrowing Ning Yi?

The first one really makes me scratch me head, because all threw out the drama its repeated stated how decidedly bad FZ is at Go. NY, often teases her about it and because of that he used it as way of telling her he's fine (when he's most definitely not) because he's still teasing her. Its also one of those little endearing things about FZ that makes her different than NY. At least to me it makes her come across as less calculating and more straightforward (she's still brilliant, but less obtuse than NY, who is king at talking in riddles). Why change that of all things?

The second divergence is often FZ ends up ruling (because NY's, newly founded empire is failing), and implementing some rather forward-forward thinking laws for the era (I'm all for feminism -- but lets try to be some what historically correct here for the Tang dynasty). But that was a tangent, often I feel like these fanfics paint him very similar to the King (I can't remember his name) in "The King's Woman." (I highly recommend that c-drama btw) Even though, yes they have similarities -- they are very different. NY, although he has blood on his hands, you know each and everyone of them he carries with him in a long growing list of people he personally has failed -- with not but least FZ. He would be a much more broken man than often portrayed in -- because deep down -- he's just that hurt and lonely child that wants his mom and wants to save other hurt and lonely people like him (He's a pathological rescuer -- that's why its so important to him to be ZW savior). He's more broken than he will ever admit to himself (this is why when he finds out his mom is still alive and ZW is being married off to HZ he's like "I'm tired of playing the game" I give up) -- ZW, not even Xin I think from my re-watch can see this. Anywho, that was longer than expected. I have alot thoughts on TROP. Im sorry.

Haha. sorry, one last thing about that irks me in fanfics is the need to give Ning Yi strong alliances. That was a HUGE part of his new idea for his justice system, and he repeatedly states that no preference will be given to those with high connections (this is why I think he starts tearing up when Xin tells him he murdered Ning Qi's mom out of anger -- Xin is reminding him that even he, NY's closest friend is not exempt from the law that they dreamed about for the land), but all will be justly tried for their crimes against the laws of the land. All of his most trusted alliances in the drama are earned throughout the drama. This is already very forward thinking for day and negates the argument that he'd have to marry into all the ruling family/take as concubines from them to form the powerful alliances necessary to rule --he even makes a joke about this in the drama.

Oof. I did it again. sorry.

Oh, I like your comment. Don't hesitate to show your ideas.
I have the same opinion with you.

Ning Yi is a hurtful child, an uncompleted spirit inside the calculating and ambituous man. Because he spent too much things to grow, so I'm sure he will not be like his father. Even Zhi Wei said that she saw the bright light in his heart. His dream is like her dream. When she killed herself, not because she hate him, cause she love him enough to sacrifice - she wanted to kill the last hope of the old empire .... she wanted to make him free to rule the country. 
but she didn't think that without her, He just survive ....
the truth is Ning Yi really loves Zhi Wei. And Zhi Wei also really loves him, too.
Ning Yi refuse any one touch him except Zhi Wei and his best friend . So I think he will not have any concubine or Queen. He will run the country by law as they wish. So no need to raise his power by marry any girl from any big family like before ....

I hope that if there is a fanfic, that would be How Ning Yi apply the law to his country, how he train 10th Prince to deal with trouble and rule the reign, and how he will looking for and then find and get Zhi Wei back to his life ...

i've found this one ... 

how I love his voice ... it's like a fine wine, better to time

just want to share .... if there is anyone who still missing Ning Yi & Zhi Wei

• Like 2

It's been more than a year ah! I just watched love and destiny and spoiler for that 

Spoiler

Seeing nini's character come to power in the end gave me serious zhiwei vibes. Even though the voice is different, seeing her in royal garb fierce and finally more mature made me ache for zhiwei. I'm glad it worked out for this character, it sort of made up for me at least seeing her face on a character that has a happy ending. 

Nini is a phenomenal actress. I thought she couldn't get more beautiful, more endearing, more piercing. 

Even though in the beginning of that show her character is a completely diff person from feng zhiwei, later on she made me think of zhiwei and the epic unforgettable ROTP. 

I wonder if anyone has watched Quippequest's recap videos on YouTube. 

She's done them upto the last ep. For those who'd like to laugh and reminisce. 

• Like 1

@lanjung.......I currently am working on a TROP fanfic, that is actually turning out to be a second season. I'm not trying to re-write the ending (there are some very interesting things they actually did with the ending that I wanted to keep)  -- just use the end as the set-up for a second season. And, this fanfic has proven to be quite an interesting rabbit hole that I've travelled down -- maybe one day when I'm finished (because I won't give ya'll a 1/2 finished hope of happiness -- I hate that) I'll post a link to it here... :sweatingbullets:

@niniandkun o_o Omg. *runsofftowatchallofQuippequest'srecaps* I've spent hours trying to find reviews like this on Youtube.

I've been afraid to watch Love and Destiny, because they over dubbed Nini's actual voice (a common practice I personally hate the most about most Cdrama's....). I also was afraid that the director would make Nini act like all 10 miles of peach blossom female leads.... weak.

Also, I finally broke down and watched Moonlovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (after reading so many comments after I back-read almost every post on this thread yes, yes I did that) for the first time. I kept refusing -- because I only wanted one drama in my heart to be my one true drama (oh the feels). But, I decided it was time to try something new. One, there are some eerily similar themes, and two -- don't crucify me on this -- I actually enjoyed SHR more. IU's acting is nothing compared to Nini, and I love FZ character more. Buuuuttt, when you do all your own fighting stunts (own 4 black belts in various martial arts), can actually ride a horse and can act brilliantly. Lee Joon Gi has Chen Kun beat. I'm so sorry but LJG is gorgeous. one more thing... omg LJG's voice.

Edited by Naomi
  • Love 1

@Naomi Well to be fair love and destiny is a different genre, it's more like ten miles of peach blossoms and sadly her character is seriously annoying in the beginning, very typical cheesy naive c drama lead. But NiNi sort of makes it bearable. The dubbing is grating and high pitched. You get used to it though. 

And their chemistry is good. Especially later on. Because of the genre it doesn't have the depth of ningyi and zhiwei but I still recommend if you don't mind xianxia and appreciate love stories. The end is worth it. 

I loved moon lovers. I think kdramas bring a totally different feel. More streamlined and in your face dramatic but still nice. IU did what was required of her in SHR and LJG :love::love:ugh don't even tell me, his voice... And his eyes and his hair in show :weary:. His acting was better than IU's but her looks/face matched the role and made up for it (not that there was much lacking) 

IU really delivered in hotel del luna though, acting on point there. 

I won't compare LJG to Chen kun because Ning Yi is a more complex role but I think they're both good. 

If you like strong females, the chick in story of yanxi Palace is a rock. She's a bit cold though. And that show while pretty good dragged a lot in between and is a bit suffocating. It focuses on harem politics though, don't expect a sweeping romance. 

As for Korean historical, Empress Ki! Must watch.

Oh and since we're talking of other shows (oops sorry for spamming the thread) Search: WWW is modern show with amazing female characters. 

On 11/18/2019 at 12:16 AM, niniandkun said:

I loved moon lovers. I think kdramas bring a totally different feel. More streamlined and in your face dramatic but still nice. IU did what was required of her in SHR and LJG :love::love:ugh don't even tell me, his voice... And his eyes and his hair in show :weary:. His acting was better than IU's but her looks/face matched the role and made up for it (not that there was much lacking)

Hahahaha. ah. yeah... Moonlovers has left me broken and full altogether at once. Full when I think back to all the scenes they gave us (Those kisses and stolen moments), and yet so VERY broken. I've been thinking about this (since I've been working on a TROP fanfic), SHR left us with our OTP back on track and in love -- just heartbroken from the separation (You'll find her --you're the Wolf-prince after all). Neither of our OTPs have a pride issue (at least not at the level of NY/FZ) --their entire relationship is based off of honesty, trust and the overwhelming sacrificial love of So :heart: (when he knowingly and willing drank that poison -- I forgave him of any and all possessiveness).

However, with TROP -- there's some serious unfinished business between our OTP. Yes there is still love there -- but its going to take some time apart to heal the wounds. Also open communication! ZW and NY have always lacked honesty and trust with each other.

@Naomi omg if any other show needs a fanfic or season 2 it's moonlovers. Though I wasn't too devastated (compared to Trop), because it was meaningfully tragic. I guess after TROP my standards for tragedy are really low. My biggest fear was that he would become the ruthless king from her history and kill everyone but he didn't. That show had such a light to it I can't explain, the time travel bit isn't logical and idk it's not a super smart plot or anything but those characters damn.. go right to your heart. The first half was soo much fun and the second half hits you in the feels. I liked haeso's transformation too. They were so likable and adorable. Not to mention so many beautiful people to look at. 

The kind of feels I got from it I don't think I'll get anywhere. It was one of a kind. It's too bad it didn't do well in Korea. I guess that type of show won't come out again. 

With TROP ugh... Lol its been a year and here I am cribbing about the same thing on this thread, they ruined what was built up from the beginning. It wasn't a meaningful tragedy. Even if they wanted to take the story in this direction they didn't show it in a way that did justice to the first 50 ep. And yet here I am 1yr later. That's how much impact it had. It had the potential to be a great classic. If only they'd taken the direction of the novel or at least improved the script so the ending didn't look so pathetic. Many people had explained the reasoning behind why the story turned out like that and I get it (even though the surprise dacheng Prince still bugs me) it shouldnt have to be explained. I get that it was rushed but we needed more ep to expand on both NY and ZW's final journeys. NY giving it all up for mom and then wanting it back, then his king persona and ZY willing to forget the oath for NY and later putting all her trust and sentiments in this stranger Prince brother, and last ugh deciding to jump off a cliff because she thought that was the only way to give her people a new life and NY a chance to rule peacefully. We can infer how they changed and the reasons for it but its a show. We should have been privy to the transformation. Its like they pressed fastforward and we only saw highlights. Really jarring compared the first half of the show. Its as if two people we knew so well and always opened up to us suddenly decide to keep to themselves, act in mysterious ways and not tell us what's happening with them. We have to guess from the outside based on circumstances why they're acting the way they do. 

I ought to check out the links @storyofthestone posted. Good luck to your fanfics! :blush:

• Like 1