Quantcast
Jump to content
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Rise of Phoenixes 凰权·弈天下

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

@staygold @mrsj3n @Wotad  

Chingu's I wonder is this drama worth watching ? 

I started watching this drama and I admit I love it but knowing how this drama ends break my heart :heartbreak::heartbreak:. Not sure if I should watch it at all. I pity Ning Yi and wonder if I should pity him when younger Yi looks so cold and the adult Ning Yi looks so broken. :bawling:

My dear... i would say that this is a nice and slow drama.

If it wasn't butchered and rushed, I would love it till the ending before I flip the table. :joy:

6 hours ago, MikiRei said:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah - that arc was so rushed. There were quite a few plot holes in there. What if he just deceived Zhi Wei and slept with her? Man, that was the part where I was like, "If you two dare kiss, I will KILL this show" 

 

Having said that, what a waste of a great character! The prince there is like, the one character that could go head on head with Ning Yi. Rather they had cut a bit of details in the first 2 arcs so they could flesh out more on the Minhai arc and this arc, pacing would have been MUCH better. 

 

At the very least though, I'm GLAD they didn't do what they did in the novel to Hua Qiong. She was tortured and raped while at Yue Kingdom. Glad they didn't do that here. 

 

Omg...

That's terrible!!!!!!

Spoiler

I would drop the show if they stick to it.

 

Come to think of it... what's up with the author and rape?

Geez!!

 

  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

 

  Hide contents

It is so absurd that the Prince deceived Feng Zi Wei into believing that she is his wife.

I mean... nobody corrected that????

Everyone's blind????

They just sit back and watched the lies?

 

And Hua Qiong dies..

Nobody mourns.

Like.. what the heck?

 

That arc drives me crazy even though they finally gives us a kiss scene.

 

 

Spoiler

She was drugged so even if they told her she wasn't Prince An's wife, she wouldn't have believed them. They also couldn't say anything outright because they were in Prince An's territory. However, Ning Yi and Gu Nanyi used the medical book Gu Nanyi's teacher gave him to figure out a way to lessen the drug's effects through some acupuncture regimen. This allowed them to bring her back later on by stimulating her memories. The problem was Feng Zhiwei had too many negative memories associated with Ning Yi (like her entire family dying) so when she saw Ning Yi it kind of made things worse. Afterwards, this affected Ning Yi's relationship with her. When he saw how scared she was of him and when she only remembered him as someone who had previously hurt her, he decided that the deaths of her family would come between them (also why after FZW and GNY's teacher is killed he thinks she had something to do with his mom being kidnapped). 

I have to say that everything to do with medicine in a lot of these ancient dramas really tests my suspension of disbelief. Same with NiF 1 and 2. I just keep telling myself it's set in a different universe. 

 

RIP to Hua Qiong though. That must be one of the reasons why Wang Ou was upset with how things turned out. First they cut her scenes and now they won't even show her being mourned.

 

I'm not saying I have been watching everything Chen Kun has been in after the end of this drama, but I recommend everyone check out the variety show he does with Wu Lei and Han Geng. He has a completely different personality from Ning Yi in real life.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah Chen Kun was also on Happy Camp with Ni Ni on Sep 15th, they were really cute apparently, I still haven't seen it. The variety show he host with Wu Lei and Han Geng also has Xu Zheng (he's mostly in movies these days I think), Yin Zheng (LMIYD and Sparrow?) and I forgot the last guy, is Zhejiang TV's 24hrs, it's a game show.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, skibbies said:

Oh yeah Chen Kun was also on Happy Camp with Ni Ni on Sep 15th, they were really cute apparently, I still haven't seen it. The variety show he host with Wu Lei and Han Geng also has Xu Zheng (he's mostly in movies these days I think), Yin Zheng (LMIYD and Sparrow?) and I forgot the last guy, is Zhejiang TV's 24hrs, it's a game show.

 

They were so cute. A lot of people are shipping them, but real life ships are a dangerous thing. No comment on Chen Kun's hairstyle on Happy Camp. 

 

24 hours was so fun to watch. I liked everyone on it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tendrilsofwind said:

 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

She was drugged so even if they told her she wasn't Prince An's wife, she wouldn't have believed them. They also couldn't say anything outright because they were in Prince An's territory. However, Ning Yi and Gu Nanyi used the medical book Gu Nanyi's teacher gave him to figure out a way to lessen the drug's effects through some acupuncture regimen. This allowed them to bring her back later on by stimulating her memories. The problem was Feng Zhiwei had too many negative memories associated with Ning Yi (like her entire family dying) so when she saw Ning Yi it kind of made things worse. Afterwards, this affected Ning Yi's relationship with her. When he saw how scared she was of him and when she only remembered him as someone who had previously hurt her, he decided that the deaths of her family would come between them (also why after FZW and GNY's teacher is killed he thinks she had something to do with his mom being kidnapped). 

I have to say that everything to do with medicine in a lot of these ancient dramas really tests my suspension of disbelief. Same with NiF 1 and 2. I just keep telling myself it's set in a different universe. 

 

RIP to Hua Qiong though. That must be one of the reasons why Wang Ou was upset with how things turned out. First they cut her scenes and now they won't even show her being mourned.

 

I'm not saying I have been watching everything Chen Kun has been in after the end of this drama, but I recommend everyone check out the variety show he does with Wu Lei and Han Geng. He has a completely different personality from Ning Yi in real life.

 

I just watched 2 episodes and it's the best comedic relief from TROP ever!!! :wub: 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such interesting sets this series has!! The screengarb below is from episode 3. Any takes on what they mean?

 

It seems like all 4 princes are pretending to be cordial and masking their true intentions. But then there should have been 4 masks! Maybe Ning Yi is the one who is seeing them from behind his own mask we can't see.

 

GcjepLS.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2018 at 9:19 AM, tendrilsofwind said:

Do you have any other drama recommendations? I need something to cheer me up after this ordeal, but all the good Chinese dramas are horrifically depressing. 

 

Consort Meng is really funny (and underrated). There's a few episodes subbed on YouTube but the rest is in Mandarin.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, artbox said:

 

Consort Meng is really funny (and underrated). There's a few episodes subbed on YouTube but the rest is in Mandarin.

 

I watched it before this one! I did like it because it was funny and didn't take itself seriously.  I've also really liked the actress ever since seeing her on Wuxin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, staygold said:

Such interesting sets this series has!! The screengarb below is from episode 3. Any takes on what they mean?

 

It seems like all 4 princes are pretending to be cordial and masking their true intentions. But then there should have been 4 masks! Maybe Ning Yi is the one who is seeing them from behind his own mask we can't see.

 

GcjepLS.jpg

 

The set designer really put in so much work. All the palaces are distinctive. I think in a lot of dramas they are more or less variations on a theme, but here everyone's palace reflects the owner's personality. Like the crown prince's decor is over the top and vaguely japanese, kind of emphasizing the alienation between him and Ning Yi, but the emperor's is traditional and stately. The Crown prince's costumes look kind of japanese as well. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skibbies said:

The costumes are Tang-inspired iirc.

I don’t know about the men’s costumes but the women ones are definitely Tang-inspired, with the open chest and the drapey blouses(?)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, maplinh said:

I don’t know about the men’s costumes but the women ones are definitely Tang-inspired, with the open chest and the drapey blouses(?)

 

4 hours ago, skibbies said:

The costumes are Tang-inspired iirc.

 

Both the men and women's costumes are Tang inspired but I thought the print of the crown prince's costumes were very Japanese looking, especially since Japanese men's attire are Tang inspired to begin with. 

 

9538e11f118d49839b3832e2215d797a.jpeg

 

Like this print is kind of jarring. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2018 at 8:19 AM, pristineqi said:

http://www.dramapanda.com/2018/09/chinas-nrta-looks-into-tv-ratings.html

 

:rage: TROP's poor rating may be due to the production team & management refused to pay to secure good rating. @#$%

 

Yes, I read that article.  The Chinese entertainment industry is very shady.  It's pretty dispiriting as it makes you realise how little you can trust all the ratings news :rage:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

Is the drama worth watching? 

 

I am on episode 8, and it has been good so far. The visuals are rich, the acting is on point. Since the characters are still being introduced it is an exciting phase in the story. This series is more about the struggle for the crown rather than the romance I feel. 

 

I feel I am watching a movie and not a TV series.

 

Spoiler

0

 

093821874.png

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Netflix has up to episode 30.

 

Spoiler

As expected, we didn't get the uncensored version of what transpired at Chengming Palace. Oh well. At least on second watching, with the uncut version, the censor and editing do not look as jarring to me as they did on my first viewing. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@staygold thanks!! I'll watch it for the main actors and storyline. Is it me or does it seems like new Chinese drama these days have high anticipation when it is about to come out, and then when it does comes out, it is not as good as it show? I feel this way with Fuyao, and Ruyi's Love in The Palace????

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

@staygold thanks!! I'll watch it for the main actors and storyline. Is it me or does it seems like new Chinese drama these days have high anticipation when it is about to come out, and then when it does comes out, it is not as good as it show? I feel this way with Fuyao, and Ruyi's Love in The Palace????

 

Don't know about Fuyao and Ruyi's LiTP, but this show exceeded my expectation. I read a bit of the novel, which was Mary Sue-ish as far as I can tell (and couldn't get past the first few chapters), and even though they said they changed the story, I had no confidence that it would be good. In the end TRoP is not perfect, but the production quality, script, characterisation and story are still some of the best  I've seen these past years, period. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 12:45 PM, tendrilsofwind said:

One of my favorite parts is also the complexity of the characters. I have to commend the scriptwriter and the actors on that. A lot of people seem to be saying the script is the weak point, but I think this is one of the best scripts I've seen in Chinese dramas these past ten years (for some reason the overall quality was higher ten years ago). Writing such sophisticated dialogue for an originally 100 episode drama is a monumental task and they managed to elevate the source material by injecting some more literary elegance. The weak point is the Min Hai arc but I do believe that is partly due to the cuts and censorship. 

 

You might want to know that your review got featured on a Weibo article as one of the "overseas viewers' opinion" example......

 

https://media.weibo.cn/article?object_id=1022%3A2309634286452056874201&luicode=10000011&lfid=231522type%3D1%26q%3D%23电视剧天盛长歌%23%26t%3D10&id=2309634286452056874201&sudaref=m.weibo.cn&display=0&retcode=6102

  • Like 4
  • LOL 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...