[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Rise of Phoenixes 凰权·弈天下

sugarplum892

@UnniSarah I know the series ending too. I think it would be an interesting series to watch to see how the characters find motivation in face of fact that what they truly love they might not get.

Besides I have rarely seen such high production quality in historicals. Last one I watched NIF was truly amazing. I feel this story too has that slow, well brewed revenge element in it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, staygold said:

@UnniSarah I know the series ending too. I think it would be an interesting series to watch to see how the characters find motivation in face of fact that what they truly love they might not get.

Besides I have rarely seen such high production quality in historicals. Last one I watched NIF was truly amazing. I feel this story too have that slow, well brewed revenge element in it.

@staygold....I am getting the same vibe of NIF. It is slow and very tempting when little clues of the past is shown.  

I do wonder if the Emperor love Ning Yi or is afraid of KARMA. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

This is the most unsettling part of such stories. Where the father is distrustful of his own child! Maybe it has something to do with his mother or her clan? Maybe the early viewers know it better.

On the other side, we have loyal bodyguards who are willing to die for the character!

• Like 2

Well you have to consider he's an emperor. There's long history of emperors and princes murdering their brothers and uncles and dads and nephews to attain that position. This particular emperor didn't have to and it's fictional history but the basis of the system is rooted in suspicion and vying for power. Being born into (or tangled up with) royal family is just unfortunate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

It is so absurd that the Prince deceived Feng Zi Wei into believing that she is his wife.

I mean... nobody corrected that????

Everyone's blind????

They just sit back and watched the lies?

And Hua Qiong dies..

Nobody mourns.

Like.. what the heck?

That arc drives me crazy even though they finally gives us a kiss scene.

Spoiler

Yeah - that arc was so rushed. There were quite a few plot holes in there. What if he just deceived Zhi Wei and slept with her? Man, that was the part where I was like, "If you two dare kiss, I will KILL this show" 

Having said that, what a waste of a great character! The prince there is like, the one character that could go head on head with Ning Yi. Rather they had cut a bit of details in the first 2 arcs so they could flesh out more on the Minhai arc and this arc, pacing would have been MUCH better. 

At the very least though, I'm GLAD they didn't do what they did in the novel to Hua Qiong. She was tortured and raped while at Yue Kingdom. Glad they didn't do that here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, staygold said:

On the other side, we have loyal bodyguards who are willing to die for the character!

Ning Yi and his bodyguards might be one of the best OPT in the series :lol:

Some of the lines from the bodyguards to NingYi: 'Whatever master wants, whatever master needs, I'll go through great lengths to get it for you.' ; 'Even if I have to tie her up and drag her here, I'll bring the little cat back to you' ; 'I'll find that horse caretaker servant and take revenge for you. Please just say something. Why are you so quiet' :wub:

1 hour ago, UnniSarah said:

@staygold....I am getting the same vibe of NIF. It is slow and very tempting when little clues of the past is shown.  

That's interesting because both Ningyi and his mum was never really people who listens to the emperor. Maybe Ningyi is too much like his mum so the emperor is distrustful of him? Ningyi is like a ghost who came back to claim his dues (similar to NIF). But I guess unlike NIF where no one knew who Mai Chengsu was so people didn't even know what hit them when they fall into his plans, everyone knows who Ningyi was so the scheming gets more complicated. 

Can I also say, Ningyi and his mum have the most beautiful luring eyes ever. Kudos to the casting team

Spoiler

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-19%20at%207.36.1

Spoiler

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-19%20at%207.41.4

• Like 5

1 hour ago, moochiball said:

Can I also say, Ningyi and his mum have the most beautiful luring eyes ever. Kudos to the casting team

Reveal hidden contents

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-19%20at%207.36.1

Reveal hidden contents

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-19%20at%207.41.4

Agreed. I like it when a production team goes to the length of choosing actors/actresses with physical resemblance to play family or the same character at different age. Other examples in this show are the 8-year-old Ning Yi vs. his adult self, Ning Qi (7th prince) and his mom, etc.

I recall the actress playing Ya Le is Mei Ting, she's a veteran in C-drama (the serious kind). I can't believe she's just a year older than the actor playing her son! Lol :D

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, yunmo19 said:

I recall the actress playing Ya Le is Mei Ting, she's a veteran in C-drama (the serious kind). I can't believe she's just a year older than the actor playing her son! Lol

That must be FRIGGING WEIRD when they were rehearsing :joy:

• Like 2

LOL well, Nirvana in Fire's Xiao Jingrui's actor is older than his mum's actress, by 2 years iirc. (1976 vs 1978. Fun fact, Liu Tao, who played Nihuang was also 1978. Looking up everyone's age is kind of wild.) Chen Kun is 40ish so that's not too out there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skibbies said:

LOL well, Nirvana in Fire's Xiao Jingrui's actor is older than his mum's actress, by 2 years iirc. (1976 vs 1978. Fun fact, Liu Tao, who played Nihuang was also 1978. Looking up everyone's age is kind of wild.) Chen Kun is 40ish so that's not too out there.

Omg that's crazy :skull:  

@pristineqi Yesss, we need something fun after TROP. I hope it's coming out this year 

7 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

@staygold @mrsj3n @Wotad  

Chingu's I wonder is this drama worth watching ? 

I started watching this drama and I admit I love it but knowing how this drama ends break my heart :heartbreak::heartbreak:. Not sure if I should watch it at all. I pity Ning Yi and wonder if I should pity him when younger Yi looks so cold and the adult Ning Yi looks so broken. :bawling:

My dear... i would say that this is a nice and slow drama.

If it wasn't butchered and rushed, I would love it till the ending before I flip the table. :joy:

6 hours ago, MikiRei said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah - that arc was so rushed. There were quite a few plot holes in there. What if he just deceived Zhi Wei and slept with her? Man, that was the part where I was like, "If you two dare kiss, I will KILL this show" 

Having said that, what a waste of a great character! The prince there is like, the one character that could go head on head with Ning Yi. Rather they had cut a bit of details in the first 2 arcs so they could flesh out more on the Minhai arc and this arc, pacing would have been MUCH better. 

At the very least though, I'm GLAD they didn't do what they did in the novel to Hua Qiong. She was tortured and raped while at Yue Kingdom. Glad they didn't do that here. 

Omg...

That's terrible!!!!!!

Spoiler

I would drop the show if they stick to it.

Come to think of it... what's up with the author and rape?

Geez!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

8 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

Hide contents

It is so absurd that the Prince deceived Feng Zi Wei into believing that she is his wife.

I mean... nobody corrected that????

Everyone's blind????

They just sit back and watched the lies?

And Hua Qiong dies..

Nobody mourns.

Like.. what the heck?

That arc drives me crazy even though they finally gives us a kiss scene.

Spoiler

She was drugged so even if they told her she wasn't Prince An's wife, she wouldn't have believed them. They also couldn't say anything outright because they were in Prince An's territory. However, Ning Yi and Gu Nanyi used the medical book Gu Nanyi's teacher gave him to figure out a way to lessen the drug's effects through some acupuncture regimen. This allowed them to bring her back later on by stimulating her memories. The problem was Feng Zhiwei had too many negative memories associated with Ning Yi (like her entire family dying) so when she saw Ning Yi it kind of made things worse. Afterwards, this affected Ning Yi's relationship with her. When he saw how scared she was of him and when she only remembered him as someone who had previously hurt her, he decided that the deaths of her family would come between them (also why after FZW and GNY's teacher is killed he thinks she had something to do with his mom being kidnapped). 

I have to say that everything to do with medicine in a lot of these ancient dramas really tests my suspension of disbelief. Same with NiF 1 and 2. I just keep telling myself it's set in a different universe. 

RIP to Hua Qiong though. That must be one of the reasons why Wang Ou was upset with how things turned out. First they cut her scenes and now they won't even show her being mourned.

I'm not saying I have been watching everything Chen Kun has been in after the end of this drama, but I recommend everyone check out the variety show he does with Wu Lei and Han Geng. He has a completely different personality from Ning Yi in real life.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh yeah Chen Kun was also on Happy Camp with Ni Ni on Sep 15th, they were really cute apparently, I still haven't seen it. The variety show he host with Wu Lei and Han Geng also has Xu Zheng (he's mostly in movies these days I think), Yin Zheng (LMIYD and Sparrow?) and I forgot the last guy, is Zhejiang TV's 24hrs, it's a game show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, skibbies said:

Oh yeah Chen Kun was also on Happy Camp with Ni Ni on Sep 15th, they were really cute apparently, I still haven't seen it. The variety show he host with Wu Lei and Han Geng also has Xu Zheng (he's mostly in movies these days I think), Yin Zheng (LMIYD and Sparrow?) and I forgot the last guy, is Zhejiang TV's 24hrs, it's a game show.

They were so cute. A lot of people are shipping them, but real life ships are a dangerous thing. No comment on Chen Kun's hairstyle on Happy Camp. 

24 hours was so fun to watch. I liked everyone on it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tendrilsofwind said:

Reveal hidden contents

She was drugged so even if they told her she wasn't Prince An's wife, she wouldn't have believed them. They also couldn't say anything outright because they were in Prince An's territory. However, Ning Yi and Gu Nanyi used the medical book Gu Nanyi's teacher gave him to figure out a way to lessen the drug's effects through some acupuncture regimen. This allowed them to bring her back later on by stimulating her memories. The problem was Feng Zhiwei had too many negative memories associated with Ning Yi (like her entire family dying) so when she saw Ning Yi it kind of made things worse. Afterwards, this affected Ning Yi's relationship with her. When he saw how scared she was of him and when she only remembered him as someone who had previously hurt her, he decided that the deaths of her family would come between them (also why after FZW and GNY's teacher is killed he thinks she had something to do with his mom being kidnapped). 

I have to say that everything to do with medicine in a lot of these ancient dramas really tests my suspension of disbelief. Same with NiF 1 and 2. I just keep telling myself it's set in a different universe. 

RIP to Hua Qiong though. That must be one of the reasons why Wang Ou was upset with how things turned out. First they cut her scenes and now they won't even show her being mourned.

I'm not saying I have been watching everything Chen Kun has been in after the end of this drama, but I recommend everyone check out the variety show he does with Wu Lei and Han Geng. He has a completely different personality from Ning Yi in real life.

I just watched 2 episodes and it's the best comedic relief from TROP ever!!! :wub: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1