[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Rise of Phoenixes 凰权·弈天下

sugarplum892

2 hours ago, dito said:

Yeah...theres also this one scene on the bridge where she's all dressed up and he touches her cheek and tells her to go and his voice over says "The farther you go from me, the better"...I google translated the chinese sub coz I was curious:D

So he does fall for her but his ambition makes him push her away...theres another scene of him secretly looking at her and then hiding when she, standing in the middle of the street, realizes he's there....that scene seems like she's leaving the country or something.

Exactly......what have we gotten ourselves into......lots of angst coming our way...we have no subs....no book translation/spoilers.... which wouldn't have helped anyways because almost the entire story has been changed and the one thing I'm 95% sure about is that we will have a sad ending...:tears:..but that remaining 5% stubbornly keeps holding on...and hoping for a HE...:)

I thought its her who pushes him away due to what we find out about her past?

I think we will get subs dont worry it will happen.

1 hour ago, dito said:

I'm a  big spoiler addict myself.....I even check out the endings to mystery novels....I don't want to invest my time into something I might end up hating coz of few pages of climax. 

Sometimes it ends up being a huge mistake. I read Princess Weiyoung before the drama aired and liked it a lot....I've never seen a female lead that ruthless. But when I saw the drama I couldn't accept the changes and gave it up. Sometimes it doesn't matter if the book had an happy ending or sad...the drama version can still screw everything up... e.g Princess Agents.

Some dramas do Pso good that you don't care about the end...its the journey that interests you....like NIF...you knew in first 15 mins of ep 1..that main lead is going to die soon....but you still followed his journey til the end to see him accomplish his goals....to see him win....maybe thats the case for this drama too...for me....at least for now.

Though I don't want to compare but the start of this drama gave me big NIF feels....the flashback to the past...the waking up from the nightmare.....the music....the lighting...very much reminds me of NIF....which is understandable because I think some of the Production team of NIF was involved in the making of this drama too....correct me if I'm wrong.

@maplinh

I think Ning Yi and Ye Hua have some of the best hair in all the chinese dramas I've seen. Makes me seriously envious of their straight and silky, flowing hair. 

PA is never a good example because they did not complete all the book its like they cut it off for a season two.

• Like 2

The Rise of Phoenixes 天盛长歌 has been on air for two nights in a row, but both tv and online viewership have fallen below expectations. Upon its premiere, the show garnered CSM52 ratings of 0.558% and CSMNationwide ratings of 0.732%. Day 2 pulled in CSM52 ratings of 0.539% and CSMNationwide ratings of 0.688%. 

For comparison's sake, current primetime leader Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost has CSM52 ratings around 1.3%, but perhaps more surprising is that The Rise of Phoenixes also lost the lead in CSMNationwide, a ranking that has generally been favorable to primetime dramas on Hunan TV. 

The dismal numbers haven't gone unnoticed as the show released a statement to say that within the past two days, The Rise of Phoenixes has accumulated 7.7 on Douban and 8.8 in Maoyan, the highest for a historical drama produced in China this year. The show also did a poll via weibo that had an 84% approval rating from viewers.

However, viewership seems to be reflecting the opposite which leads the three production companies of the drama to speak up and conclude that the current ratings and ranking are not what the show deserves. The statement goes on to share that inflating viewership ratings is a predominant problem in the television industry. Advertising revenue, a show's performance, the production team and the cast's market value are all hostage to fake views. 

The Rise of Phoenixes will not participate in inflating viewership no matter the pressure. Instead, they hope that everyone can see their sincerity in making a drama that has real performances, real voices, real sets and real emotions. 

There’s a picture of the statement in the article.

Well this definitely sucks :( I hope more people will tune in once the story gets rolling.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just saw some scenes of EP 6...they seem to have kept the FZW brothers character the same as the book...useless piece of trash...who'll bring trouble to both the mother and his sister. Don't know where I read they changed the brother to a nice guy....

3 hours ago, maplinh said:
The Rise of Phoenixes 天盛长歌 has been on air for two nights in a row, but both tv and online viewership have fallen below expectations. Upon its premiere, the show garnered CSM52 ratings of 0.558% and CSMNationwide ratings of 0.732%. Day 2 pulled in CSM52 ratings of 0.539% and CSMNationwide ratings of 0.688%. 

For comparison's sake, current primetime leader Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost has CSM52 ratings around 1.3%, but perhaps more surprising is that The Rise of Phoenixes also lost the lead in CSMNationwide, a ranking that has generally been favorable to primetime dramas on Hunan TV. 

The dismal numbers haven't gone unnoticed as the show released a statement to say that within the past two days, The Rise of Phoenixes has accumulated 7.7 on Douban and 8.8 in Maoyan, the highest for a historical drama produced in China this year. The show also did a poll via weibo that had an 84% approval rating from viewers.

However, viewership seems to be reflecting the opposite which leads the three production companies of the drama to speak up and conclude that the current ratings and ranking are not what the show deserves. The statement goes on to share that inflating viewership ratings is a predominant problem in the television industry. Advertising revenue, a show's performance, the production team and the cast's market value are all hostage to fake views. 

The Rise of Phoenixes will not participate in inflating viewership no matter the pressure. Instead, they hope that everyone can see their sincerity in making a drama that has real performances, real voices, real sets and real emotions. 

Well this definitely sucks :( I hope more people will tune in once the story gets rolling.

I don’t think you need to worry. My guess on why it has low rating so far is because of lots of shows this year promise grandeur and deliver peanuts :) most recently the recent finished LoF. Then coming off this drama is supposed to be the descendants of LoF but with zero fantasy elements, alienated both the fan and the not fans of the drama. Many is wait n see or wait for a few more episodes before trying :) if the series is good, it will get there :) 

• Like 1

I didn’t think the low ratings are indicative of quality or that people aren’t interested. I think most people are waiting to binge after the series reaches halfway or those like me waiting for subs and it is more about not having the time to watch it live for two hours every night. It is not even about the quality, which is subjective based one’s preferences. 

This drama being political and has no fantasy is fine. Dramas are separate from their novel source or related stories - everyone can decide. Sometimes it is just about timing. I judge base on me watching first and foremost and then usually my interest on the cast and story. As for Legend of Fuyao, I enjoyed it very much and I will def. watch this show. I am praying that Netflix picks it up to do the subs. 

• Like 4

Spoiler

In ep 6, FZW’s mom killed that Consort because she saw something right? and she was writing a letter too. Like the consort was following her before. I predict that this is how FZW will get kicked out of the family; she’s gonna take the blame for her mom.

• Like 1

I think first impression counts.

It was indeed very dark and heavy for just the 1st episode. Hence it could be difficult for people to feel it at the start.

The story is picking up now and it's really getting interesting. 

The fate and destiny of Ning Yi and Feng Ziwei is gonna be heart breaking. 

However at the moment, I am really enjoying the interaction of Ning Yi and Feng Ziwei.

2 minutes ago, maplinh said:
  Hide contents

In ep 6, FZW’s mom killed that Consort because she saw something right? and she was writing a letter too. Like the consort was following her before. I predict that this is how FZW will get kicked out of the family; she’s gonna take the blame for her mom.

Spoiler

She killed the consort because she pieced the puzzles together that the siblings are not twins and one of them is the last descendant of the previous kingdom.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

Reveal hidden contents

She killed the consort because she pieced the puzzles together that the siblings are not twins and one of them is the last descendant of the previous kingdom.

ASDFFGHJKLKHFD 

I really should’ve taken Chinese back in middle schooltumblr_pcvbhsbuRr1wrrylro2_250.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

4 hours ago, maplinh said:

Thanks for posting.  It's very disappointing to hear it's doing poorly in the ratings but, sadly, it wouldn't be the first time a good drama didn't get the ratings it deserved :(

Unfortunately, popularity and quality don't always go hand in hand.  I can't even count the number of hyped dramas with huge ratings and downloads which I've tried to watch and had to give up on because I found them so bad.

• Like 4

Not sure if you guys had noticed... this is the first drama that I had watched so far that they do not have the same actors and supporting casts again and again.

The "recycled" actor in TROP is the actor acting as Yao Ying. He was Uncle Zhou in Legend of Fuyao.

And actress acting as Da Hua (wife of xin ziyan). She was Xuanyuan Xiao.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maplinh said:

Is it just me or does Ning Yi look a little sick? Even with his hair up

In which episode?

Spoiler

In episode 3, he took something to cause himself to be sick.

In episode 6, he got injured while saving Feng Ziwei who was being chased by guard.

In general, I felt that Ning Yi has too much on his plate.

To avenge his 3rd brother, to overtake crown Prince, to protect Feng Ziwei and worry how she will see him when she knows of her real identity.

Sigh.. Kleenex. We need lots of it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

In which episode?

Reveal hidden contents

In episode 3, he took something to cause himself to be sick.

In episode 5, he got injured while saving Feng Ziwei who was being chased by guard.

In general, I felt that Ning Yi has too much on his plate.

To avenge his 3rd brother, to overtake crown Prince, to protect Feng Ziwei and worry how she will see him when she knows of her real identity.

Sigh.. Kleenex. We need lots of it.

Spoiler

Maybe it’s just the eyes for me because they look kind of reddish in some scenes so that makes him look like he’s super tired/sick. But I agree, there’s way too many things going right now for Ning Yi

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maplinh said:
  Hide contents

Maybe it’s just the eyes for me because they look kind of reddish in some scenes so that makes him look like he’s super tired/sick. But I agree, there’s way too many things going right now for Ning Yi

Oh...

Spoiler

There's one scene whereby he was talking to Gu Yan. Trying to get him to turn against the Crown Prince at the Inn?

I think for that scene, his eyes were red too but I thought it's because he was upset of what he did when he was 8 years old and being questioned his motive as well.

• Like 1