[Drama 2017] Distorted / Falsify 조작

larus

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Falsify" Episodes 15-16

photo878539.jpg

There are oodles of justice and great conflict delivered in episodes fifteen and sixteen of "Falsify", as Seok-min and Moo-yeong's master plan falls into place for a killer showdown. Seong-sik makes his decision, Daehan takes its first major hit and So-ra finally gains Moo-yeong's trust as a fellow warrior in this battle, along with another chance to clear a young man's name.

I have been trying to pinpoint what keeps me invested in "Falsify" for a while now. The drama is not special or novel in premise or twists and power games are the main force driving the story forward, so how does it manage to remain exciting? I believe the reason is the unique three-lead structure. Korean dramas are a one-trick pony industry and they usually bet everything on said pony. "Falsify" plays it smart and diversifies.

Moo-yeong being hugged by a thankful Seon-wooSeok-min enjoying his small defeat of Tae-won

Its leads are equals in development, focus, agency and in having a set of unique virtues and flaws different from one another. For all the annoyance Moo-yeong (Namgoong Min) has given me lately, he is no superhero and the series reminds us that with little things, such as his nightmare over being hunted and the reaction after it. Seok-min (Yoo Joon-sang) is highly intelligent, but he can get too cocky. So-ra (Eom Ji-won) is the hero in the prosecutor cape we all need, even if she had to work on being more flexible.

Aside from being well-acted by three talented and skilled artists, these characters have well-designated duties in the story. "Falsify" could have easily turned Seok-min and So-ra into Moo-yeong's satellite characters, but it has not. Their cooperation gets better as time goes by, they all meet with different antagonists in different circumstances and the messages the show delivers about the world is portrays utilize all of these characters as well as supporting ones, the presence of which had been an earlier worry of mine.

Spoiler

So-ra ready to correct some wrongsSeon-woo looking hopeful again

To get back to the story, "ask and you shall receive" rarely applies for me in Dramaland, but I am glad to see that the appearance of our mysterious Elders is teased through So-ra's taunting trip to Noah. We also have the return of Prosecutor Cha (Park Ji-yeong) and her research into someone mentioned in Cheol-ho's (Oh Jung-se) articles. The man is probably the center to our new subplot.

The conclusion to Seon-woo's (Lee Joo-seung) case may feel too ideal, but I can see why the police would not go after Aeguk right now. So-ra's visit ties the hands of the higher-ups as well. There are a lot of things I appreciate about "Falsify". It has sensible storytelling and it treats its subject matter with respect. It sometimes feels like too much to ask of such works, but there you have it.

cr

Falsify: Episodes 13-14

by tineybeanie

falsify13-49466.jpg

Our ragtag band of reporters use their individual talents to delve further into the interlinked cases from different angles this episode, but it still seems like we’ve barely scratched the surface of the corruption that lies at the center of it all. Overall, it’s an hour of revelations and confrontations that leads to more questions than answers. But one thing’s for sure: The stakes are steadily rising, as our heroes move one step closer to the finding what lies at the end of their search for the truth.

EPISODE 13 RECAP

According to Seok-min’s research, Lieutenant Jeon was involved in a case where an industrial conglomerate heir had been accused in a hit-and-run accident that resulted in one death. He had insisted until the end that it was the heir who was at fault, even though the prosecutors had not deemed him so.

In parallel, Moo-young looks at his wall of news, which contains an article about the industrial company heir, who was apprehended by Lieutenant Jeon. Somehow things had turned around so that Lieutenant Jeon ended up accused of being responsible for the hit-and-run case. Clearly, some switcheroo framing had been at play, but eventually, he was acquitted of the charges. Moo-young stares at the tattoo symbol and wonders what he’ll find at the end of this mystery.

falsify13-00057.jpg falsify13-00069.jpg

Seok-min and Moo-young meet, and Seok-min asks whether he obtained any other evidence other than the CCTV footage that Lieutenant Jeon hid. Moo-young wants to move forward with pressing Lieutenant Jeon for the hidden evidence. However, Seok-min wants to watch the situation unfold a little bit more so that they can capture a larger prey than just Lieutenant Jeon. Moo-young is concerned that if he stops now to wait for larger pray, they’ll never get justice for Seon-woo or his teammates, who are still in jail.

Even though Seok-min warns him against following up with Lieutenant Jeon, Moo-young makes his own independent decision not to act on Seok-min’s advice. He calls up Lieutenant Jeon on the phone, reveals himself, and arranges a meeting alone with him. He brings up the conglomerate heir’s case, and accuses Lieutenant Jeon of murder in that hit-and-run accident. He makes his terms clear: Moo-young wants his teammates freed from jail and the CCTV footage of the murder scene.

=== Read more: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/08/falsify-episodes-13-14/

COMMENTS

Whew, I feel like we’ve made so much progress because we finally know what the killer looks like, but then again, Moo-young’s Patriot News team is still in prison and the power behind Lawyer Jo and Chief Gu has yet to make an appearance, so it’s almost like we’ve gotten nowhere at all. I have so many questions about the mysterious murderer: Is he a contract serial killer? Or does he have more permanent ties with the elders (i.e. is he the hidden bastard scion of a chaebol, who has become a killer to cover-up his parent’s dirty deeds)? I didn’t expect him to be so young, so I’m really curious to find out what made him choose to walk down this path of work.

I have a confession to make: This is probably bad, but I’m much more interested and empathetic toward the evil characters than our heroes. I find legal political thrillers interesting when the protagonists have to grapple with complex moral dilemmas, especially when the delicious shades of gray are infinite. But so far, everything in the Falsify world has been starkly black or white. Either you’re a good guy who has never bent your morals, or you’re a bad guy on the side of the evil elders. But at least most of the bad guys seem to have once been on the side of the light, so unraveling their descent into corruption should be interesting.

For instance, Chief Gu clearly has a loving side to him, as evidenced by his tender behavior toward his bedridden wife. Perhaps what tipped him over was something regarding hospital bills or getting the best medical care, which I’m sure the powerful shadowy forces would have been able to arrange. From what I gathered, it looks like Lieutenant Jeon may have been an upright cop at one point who ended up being blackmailed, and once he succumbed, he just never looked back, knowing that the regrets would all come tumbling down on him. I think his last words to Moo-young may have been part of his redemption, though. He said it with such purpose in his eyes that I’m pretty sure it’ll pop up as a clue somewhere down the line.

Spoiler

Perhaps the only character who is in any quandary at all regarding his future choices is Reporter Na. And even though I think he’s a pretty slimy skeezeball who’s almost completely on the evil side already, I hope his character arc will begin to show a change. He’s a direct foil to Chul-ho, being set up in the exact same situation as a falsifying snitch in the Splash Team, but I don’t want his ending to be the same.

falsify13-00357.jpg

Hands down, my favorite scenes were the fight scenes, though. They were perfectly choreographed, smoothly flowing from one action to another, with quick reversals and takedowns. There was always a sense of thrilling danger—I could literally go on forever about how much I loved Moo-young’s fight with Lieutenant Jeon in front of the gangsters, and then his subsequent fight with the unmasked killer at the hospital. Suddenly his background as a judo champion is all starting to make sense.

I’ve noticed in so many other dramas I’ve seen, the hero is often magically wonderful at fisticuffs. It doesn’t matter if he’s a chaebol who probably has never had to lift a finger and has had bodyguards all his life, or a lawyer who realistically probably would never have the time to get into fights because they need to work and study. But, they’re always able to protect the heroine or the victim from a much more narratively stated experienced fighter’s attacks. Every time, I’d just have to suspend my belief in reality for the story’s sake. Sure, dramaland is full of black holes of reality, but I can only take so much as a given. So I appreciate how Falsify is thoughtfully and carefully weaving Moo-young’s background into the narrative, and it exponentially enhances my enjoyment of his hand-to-hand combat scenes.

Ratings-wise, Falsify has been at the head of the Monday-Tuesday pack since the beginning, so I feel like I should be enjoying it much more than I think I am. The overarching plot and character archetypes feel so recycled and predictable, even if the exact details of how the mystery plays out are unpredictable. I just can’t seem to become more emotionally invested into the show. At this point, it’s still all surface-level enjoyment for me, with brief moments of enjoyment during the beautifully crafted fight scenes and cerebral satisfaction as pieces of the puzzle click into place. Especially with such a talent-ridden cast, perhaps my expectations were too high, but each week, I’m left with this emptiness that comes from wanting to be emotionally moved by the show but never quite reaching that level yet. I guess there’s always next week?

falsify14-00224.jpg

@AlexandraReid Thanks for all the updates. Though I don't reads other reviews ('cept Hancinema), it's good to know that others are watching this drama too.

Just finished the latest episodes. My goodness. IThis drama!  When this premiered, from episode 1 it's a favorite,  and all the way to the current Ep 15-16, still is my current favorite.  Me applauding this. For for the story, the smarts, the balance, the reality, the acting. My drama choices hasn't failed me.

And Yoo Joon Sang gets all my love right now.

I mentioned in page 8 after Ep 5-6 how I'm rooting for Suk Min and how he's so smart.. unlike the street smarts that Moo Young, after watching  ep 15-16,  he's officially the coolest!

@KiwiNeko  So.yeah officially crushing! yeah Lee Suk Min is the coolest, smartest!  Current fav character right now.  Watch us be amazed at him.

Suk Min shows us one doesn't need to use brute force to achieve the truth. Gu Tae Won and elders needs to be exposed.

Of the retrial of Seon Woo, of the fabrication of of the story, of talking to Kwon Sora......

"When I found out that Daehan newspaper fabricated that incident, I knew already it was a game we couldn't win"

"You couldn't beat a major media outlet because their crimes leave no room for holes. They erase evidence and testimonies in front of them, and even the guilt they feel.. for what they've done.  They're arrogant. They think they can cover up everything. That's their only hole. And  Moo Yung and I decided to use that. It was gamble. But to turn around the game, Yoon Seon Woo had to die. I was sure of it. That way,  Daehan Newspaper would say he's innocent first. Only by doing that, the false witnesses, and erased evidence wouldn't appear. In a world without proper prosecutors and media, Yoon Seon Woo will forever remain a victim. He had to He had to die to live. He had to disappear in front of our eyes.. to be remembered. And now it's your turn. You must not let any words sway you, and just listen to the law. You must keep your place. That will be enough. You will have to be the one to end.. this case." - Lee Suk Min, Ep 16

"the first duty of journalism is about the truth"

DGhttLdVYAATEpk.jpg
Pic: ctto

@jongski Yes, Falsify is really great. One of the good points in this drama is that HMY, SM and KSR are all main characters which is unusual. Interesting was the fight scene with the killer. It was so unrealistic (due to HMY's injuries) but it looked so real. I had the feeling that it would be a nightmare. However, this nightmare revealed a lot about HMY's state of mind:

- the fear of the man with the tatoo: he lost twice against him. Then when he was injured in the van, he couldn't do anything and had to witness the murder of the detective Jeong. He could have died there too. The feeling of helplessness reinforced his fear. So HMY is suffering from a trauma and is afraid that he might lose the fight against the man again.   

Falsify: Episodes 15-16

by festerfaster

falsify1516-00161a.jpg

In a battle against great odds (or fake news!), the smallest victories can turn the tables and begin to bring about real change. After days of fighting Daehan Daily through underground broadcasts and quiet investigations, our good guys are finally ready to enact their climactic reversal. Will they be able to expose the seedy underbelly of the country’s most trusted news source at last? Or will Chief Gu and his cohorts outmaneuver them again?

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/08/falsify-episodes-15-16/

My other favorite drama! <3. I'll be waiting for the sub for ep 17-18. I'll be gushing  for Min Suk again. The wisdom he imparts to young journalist, the wizened, smart leader of Splash team. He's going to expose  Gu Tae Won for all his corruptness.  The mind is special weapon,I want to see GTW scared out of his wits.

“Falsify” Holds No. 1 Spot In Its Time Slot For 5 Consecutive Weeks

Falsify.jpg

Although the ratings for “Falsify” dropped a little this week, the SBS drama is continuing its dominance of the Monday-Tuesday time slot.

On August 22, Nielsen Korea reported that the recent two episodes of “Falsify” recorded a nationwide average of 9.7 percent and 11.2 percent viewership ratings. This is a drop from last week, where it recorded a high of 12.2 percent.

Nonetheless, this is the fifth consecutive week that “Falsify” has held the No. 1 spot in its time slot. KBS’s “School 2017” recorded a viewership rating of 4.7 percent, while MBC’s “The King Loves” recorded 6.2 percent for its first episode this week and 7.0 percent for its second.

“Falsify,” also known as “Distorted,” tells the story of journalists working to expose the truth in a corrupt society.

On 8/18/2017 at 6:15 AM, bebebisous33 said:

the fear of the man with the tatoo: he lost twice against him. Then when he was injured in the van, he couldn't do anything and had to witness the murder of the detective Jeong. He could have died there too. The feeling of helplessness reinforced his fear. So HMY is suffering from a trauma and is afraid that he might lose the fight against the man again. 

@bebebisous33  Yes he needs to prepare himself mentally and physically to go up against him.. Mr Lighter seem to be on steriods or something nothing seems to make him hurt or say ouch..  Now SR is opening her eyes more to how coocked her world really is, and all thats revealed may not be the truth..

In todays episode were learning how really big this case is over a billion dollars embezzeled indentity switch you name it it's there.. I'm just liking the fact that the newspaper diector always thought he was in controlled of the game only to learn that he's just a pawn and can be eliminated like HMY brother.. The showdown is coming between him and the lawyer they already at each others throat it's only a matter of time before the backstabbing really starting to take place and SR boss os the biggest flunky of them all he still can't read he's about to be thrown under thew bus

@jongski  I look forward to the weekend being over just because of this drama.

OMG... the killer is after So-ra. To try to killed her on daylight is .....:o It was her luck that he did not stab or shoot her.  Thank God that she escapes this attempted murder. Now she saw his face too.

I am glad Cha Yeon-Soo is back. Another tough lady to fight the baddies.

15 hours ago, jongski said:

I'll be gushing  for Min Suk again.

Let's run with Lee Suk-min (a.k.a Yoo Jun-Sang actor). I also love Suk Min the most. :tongue:

Falsify "Yoo Jun-sang" I feel more responsible than any work I do "

Yoo Jun-sang is attempting to disguise himself as a quick-service writer in the broadcast today. In the open photo, Yoo Jun-sang is riding a motorcycle on the road, while wearing uniforms and drinking coffee with a tense look. There is a mischievous look and a sense of helplessness. (Google translate)

2017082201001963500143781.jpg

2017082201001963500143782.jpg

201708221430771248_599bc20580ccc.jpg

http://sports.chosun.com/news/news.htm?id=201708220100196350014378&ServiceDate=20170822

http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1110714494

Spoiler

Falsify`s Yu Jun-sang VS Park Ji-young, frontal crash

30000577703_700.jpg

Lee Seok-min (Yoo Joon-sang), the head of the Korea Daily's splashing team, decided to go against Guo Tae-won (Moon Sung-Keun) The confrontation unfolds.

Lee Sukmin and Cha Yeon-soo revealed a bad memories to each other, unlike the beginning which coincided with the moment when the black film was revealed. However, Lee Sukmin and Chon Yeon-soo have been running for the same purpose in their respective positions l for five years, and eventually reunited fatefully. However, two people who do not have a certain trust in their opponent are expected to suffer conflicts even if they pursue the same target.

http://sbsfune.sbs.co.kr/news/news_content.jsp?article_id=E10008718043

Hope they will realise that they have the same goal and colaborate soon to get the bad people.

@LyraYoo @larus @jongski I loved the episodes 17-18 because finally SM revealed to HMY what HCH did in the past: write a false article, but HMY realised later that despite his misdeed, his brother was trying to redeem himself, hence HMY is again one step ahead. On the other hand, the fight between lawyer Choi and GTW was really interesting and entertaining. While Choi thinks, he has the upper hand because they used GTW like HCH, director Gu considers himself more than just a pawn and just a part of a bigger plan. I do think that Gu is right, he shouldn't underestimate the Splash team. Yet, director Gu is also making a mistake, since he has no control over the Splash team and SM. SM has seen through director Gu. He knows that he used HCH for the false articles hence he is aware that a scoop could be a tool for something else. SM is now more cautious about the info he gets: why now? As conclusion, Gu is making a mistake. He thinks that SM is a journalist whose ambition is to make the best scoop. But SM told him that he saw his profession differently: he is a reporter and as such, he reports things... so in his speech, he never mentioned that he wanted to become famous or have the big scoop!!   

12 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

I loved the episodes 17-18 because finally SM revealed to HMY what HCH did in the past: write a false article, but HMY realised later that despite his misdeed, his brother was trying to redeem himself, hence HMY is again one step ahead.

I have not watched episode 17-18 yet but I agree with what you said in your post. I am glad Suk Min told Moo Young the truth about his brother. His brother wanted to do the right thing, to redeem himself and he was murdered. Moo Young knows this and he will be more determined to fight for revealing the corruption and punished the murderer. 

I don`t know who is Lawyer Choi right now but I assume he is one of the bad guys. Is Ryu Seung soo`s character?  I am glad that there is a friction between him and Goo  Tae-Won.

Tomorrow I will watch both episodes (four episodes 17/18 and 18/20).  YAY!

1 hour ago, larus said:

I have not watched episode 17-18 yet but I agree with what you said in your post. I am glad Suk Min told Moo Young the truth about his brother. His brother wanted to do the right thing, to redeem himself and he was murdered. Moo Young knows this and he will be more determined to fight for revealing the corruption and punished the murderer. 

I don`t know who is Lawyer Choi right now but I assume he is one of the bad guys. Is Ryu Seung soo`s character?  I am glad that there is a friction between him and Goo  Tae-Won.

Tomorrow I will watch both episodes (four episodes 17/18 and 18/20).  YAY!

Yes, I meant the character played by Ryu Seung Soo. Sorry, I guess, I had his name wrong. Based on koreandrama.org, his name in the drama is Jo Yeong Ki.

I have the impression that GTW has always had a false idea of the world. First, he thought that journalists are fighters (he asked SM to stop being a fighter), so that SM had to correct him. For him, journalist is only someone who writes about problems in society. Then GTW's wife mentioned that when she met him for the first time, he was reading a book and not paying attention to people who were chased and were hidding. So he was never interested in the start to the events happening next to him. He was more a dreamer in the end hence when he asked SM to stop being a fighter, he was actually projecting his views onto SM. GTW must have been disenchanted at some point and gave up his conscience so easily.  

2 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have the impression that GTW has always had a false idea of the world. First, he thought that journalists are fighters (he asked SM to stop being a fighter), so that SM had to correct him. For him, journalist is only someone who writes about problems in society. Then GTW's wife mentioned that when she met him for the first time, he was reading a book and not paying attention to people who were chased and were hidding. So he was never interested in the start to the events happening next to him. He was more a dreamer in the end hence when he asked SM to stop being a fighter, he was actually projecting his views onto SM. GTW must have been disenchanted at some point and gave up his conscience so easily.  

Hope we`ll learn a little more about Goo Tae Won. I love villians who are layered, I want to understand them better. We saw that he was once a good person. He was smiling with fellow journalists. No matter why he slipped to the other side, why he chose power over friendship and principles, I want to understand his reasons. It is very possible that his view over journalism are very different from Suk Min`s. It will be interesting to see them clash.  

Archived