[Drama 2017] Save Me, 구해줘

0ly40

8 minutes ago, aquakhan said:

it doesn't feel like DC has fallen for SM at the first sight. his staring seems to say, i know what you are hiding.

i can't believe no one stands to the bullying. DC and SH just take matters in their own hands. i refuse to believe teachers don't know who the troublemakers are. no matter how nice the bullies appear they won't be able to hide their colors. they'll be rude and arrogant. their overall behaviour will scream they are the troublemakers. but the school wants to keep its reputation and the money those troublemakers parents shove them and they will easily turn the blind eye.

whenever the word ''bullying'' appears my blood boils and i get upset 

It is frustrating but sadly very true to life.  Its brutal and kids do kill themselves even with all the social media attention it is given.  It was the theme of Boys over Flowers. That took place in the most exclusive school in the nation. 

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

One more thing, the camera focuses a lot on that special tea or spiritual water. Why is that? Random choice or is there some sort of drugs mixed in. Also, Sang Mi's mother hallucinating out of the blue, it felt odd. She was completely out of it in the rooftop. Unless, there's prior history of psychological disorder, this don't happen even if you're under extreme emotional stress. Same goes for the drunk guy, one sip and he confesses. Also, I feel the Spritual father might have pushed the brother towards death by implying that it was his salvation.

Hi everybody~~~ started to watch this drama.  Weird, creepy stuffs... something new in Kdrama land... cult!

I was thinking of the same.  What is in the expensive gift to the Im family?  Vitamins we were told?  Is it the same stuff that was in the dropper vial which Apostle Kang mixed then gave to Sang Jin in the car.  We know he was terribly bullied and assaulted, do you think whatever he ingest could have set him over the edge?  I feel so bad for him.  I was so creeped out when the camera kept focusing on the bathroom stall during his first bullying incident.  Could his mom's hallucinations from her using the gift?

One thing that bothers me.  The Im family has no money... what will the cult exploit and take from them?  Besides the cult leader Baek's awful interest in Sang Mi, what kind of terrible things will the family be subject to? 

I didn't like the way Sang-Mi look at the cult leader at the funeral parlor end of E2. She's falling under his spell after that chest thumping speech.  Preying on people in hard tragic times is so despicable. 

Our four musketeers on bikes... You think there has to be at least one time when one of them had a passing thought of keep going and leaving this small town on one of their rides? Especially DC, a rebel who understands that his life after high school is hopeless.  I don't see the four planning on a college career.   What sad future.  

I wonder what's going on behind the closed door, with all the muttering, screaming... the plastic covering keep everything clean and sterilized.  ewwwww

O  nooo,  I  shouldnt have watched the preview..

Ofcourse they are going to make the best one and the bravest to take responsibility. Cowards.

Even there is nothing cool about fighting, I cant help but notice how Dong Chul looks pretty cool in them.

14 hours ago, triplem said:

Hey @jongski! Since Voice , I think OCN has delivered some pretty good dramas in this slot .

We know right. From 38TF to Voice to Tunnel to Duel, and now current one Save me.  then the upcoming dramas Bad Guys 2, Black.

Drama is so good! brilliant movie like.  Can't wait for weekend. I want Ep 3 already! Teaser below.

IG cto

It's one of the most strongest thriller i ever saw  it's very scary story  ... no monsters or some bloody murders here but story is so real Cruel that it's really scary I can compare this drama with Twin Peaks wonderful psychological thriller 

4 hours ago, rocher22 said:

Even there is nothing cool about fighting, I cant help but notice how Dong Chul looks pretty cool in them.

DC is one of my fav character his so cool man! The girl likes another guy but I hope she will see DC also.

1 hour ago, jongski said:

We know right. From 38TF to Voice to Tunnel to Duel, and now current one Save me.  then the upcoming dramas Bad Guys 2, Black.

Drama is so good! brilliant movie like.  Can't wait for weekend. I want Ep 3 already! Teaser below.

IG cto

Wow this teaser is all about Dong -chul, thanks for sharing. Maybe my ship isn't as hopeless as I thought.

Oh and I found the original webtoon, didn't understand a word but still saw the ending, for people who are interested in spoilers :

Spoiler
Spoiler

Dong-chul and other boys are alive and well. There was zero romance (not even a meaningful glance). I don't know how true drama would stay to the source material as I didn't see the brother in the beginning, I think drama's writer changed a lot

There is definitely something in the water/tea from the cult staff.  Perhaps, it's as simple as a  sedative that makes people pliant to suggestions.  Or, it could be some kind of addictive drug. 

What's more intriguing and scary are those private prayer rooms and what is happening in them. Are those screaming people in withdrawal? Are their organs being harvested because the bottom line for the cult staff has to be money. :huh:

Drama oh drama I'm already in love with you and it's only been 2 episodes. Please continue to be this awesome and for the love of drama gods have a good ending that DOES NOT RESULT IN OUR ( love how we're already calling him "our") DONG CHEOL DYING (I have way too many experiences of watching a drama, falling for the second or side characters -I tend to find them more fascinating than the lead/s- then being crushed because in this type of drama they almost always die -I'm still heart broken from Master of Noodles and recently Duel-).

With that out the way, my lovely drama which is living up to the hype I had for it, so much juicy potential for characters and social commentary you've thrown out so far...please come through.

1. The complicit town and its members. How truly innocent are they? Is it that they don't see what's going on, or that they don't WANT to see what's going on? Let's look at those who are being taken by the cult. The elderly, the severely sick, the drunk, the poor, the mentally challenged, aka "the others" of society in general and the town specifically. This cult is seemingly taking care of and cleaning up "the lessers" and "stains" of the town...is the town really that naive and trusting? Have they never really wondered, questioned, side eyed? Or is that they don't want to do this (dig in too deep, question too much) because they too benefit from what is hurting others. The cult seems to have roots in some businesses (the cow farm, the police, the old ppl home). And I legit believe medicine is not the only thing in them deer antler boxes (money is in there somewhere). It's only human that you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Far too many people remain neutral or silent in situations of oppression simply because they are not the ones being oppressed and things as is helps not hurt them. I mean look at the bullying situation and the room full of students in the cafeteria who remained mums due to fear of retaliation. As the two girls knew and ignored SJ on the roof getting beat said "it's not our problem" even SM with his unhelpful comments of "report it to the teachers" (boy please. The teachers ain't going to do richard simmons and he should know it with how he's treated simply because his father is running for governor) and then not going to the rooftop to help mainly because dad and also "it's not really my problem I don't know him or her. They aren't my people so I'm not going to get involved in their drama and will pretend I don't know what I know".  I wonder if the whole town is doing the above in relation to the cult. 

2. The cult, the leader, his henchman, ever faithful and loyal money snatching Ms. J. We better get some background info on how they came to be where and who they are. In ep 1 while watching the Im family happily eat and laugh in their merger trailer surrounded by cows and the stench of cow richard simmons, "almighty father" -lawds the ego and god complex- remarks on how pure, innocent, loving, carefree, naive, and happy the family looks. Almighty while reminiscing(?) and kind of looking like he longs for it asks loyal J if she remembers that feeling/that family love and bond, the happy outlook, and innocence, and if she misses it. Meanwhile loyal J looked disgusted but maybe even bitter and jealous (I got the same vibe of bitter and jealous "I'm being replaced" when she silently watched Almighty feel up my princess S) . Drama needs to go in on that. How did all three meet? Do they believe in what they are doing or are they running some type of long con on everyone including themselves? Who were they before they became who see now? And how did they become what they are now? Were/are they a family? Were they once innocent and were recruited into the cult? How long have they been in town (or at they natives?) and why that town to settle and build a church/following? 

3. Almighty Father, you are good. Man that man knows how to put on a show. He's like a ring master at a circus. Did you all see how he worked the room at the funeral? He took away from the dead boy and mourning him and flipped everything back to himself "almighty father". His feelings, his magnetic power or relationship to/with god and questioning of god and faith. He good cause he took advantage and manipulated that vulnerable moment into him and about his grief and being. He even got nonbeliever "girl in danger" queen S taking a sip of the kool aid. He good. I wonder how much of it he believes and if he believes himself a god of a vessel to god? 

4. Drama please tell you headed where I want you to be headed and will question and make parallels between almighty father and wanna be governor dad. Please tell me we going to question motives and morals, character, their beliefs and question what is the difference between a politician/political leader/political party and a cult leader/cult/scary as richard simmons church/members. I wasn't asleep to the fact that both these men refer to themselves as "fathers" of this town. I wasn't asleep to dad shaking hands and passing out flyers to the cult singing and dancing and also passing out flyers. Oh drama there is so much you can do here with this. So much (both men basically want that town and it's people) please please please do it. Go there. 

5. Dong Cheol. How you make me love you so. It's the little things. His noticeable background annoyance that SM gets away with thingsand others cower simply because of his name and political daddy power. His disappointment that SM would ignore someone in need (both having witnessed and know what could/will happen), his run to help in anyway he could what he really didn't have to and when he was outnumbered (I legit think he would have helped anyone who was that desperate simply because it's the right thing to do. I feel like his own experience -dad- has him have a soft heart for the underdog or the abused and bullied etc), then his own look of devastation and shock when the boy jumped, and how small he looked in the jail cell...I love you. Let me care for you. Please don't die. Please have happy ending with your granny eating black bean noodles and giving kisses (he's so going to end up like my bb Tae Ha isn't he *cries a river*).

6. Princess S is everything. That girl is a survivor.. She had/has grit. She's street smart. Has great intuition. She's tough. She doesn't cower or put up with bs. She's also sacrificial and protective of her family. You can tell she and her family went through a lot in Seoul (most likely forever broke because of naive too trusting dad) and she in someways had to be the parent and protector and parent and protect her parents as well as her brother then herself. I loved it when she came in the cafeteria, threw the milk at the bully, protected her brother, demanded the cowardly students do the right thing, and was fearless in smacking the stuffing out the leader. I love that she was not here for SH and his unhelpful noise after the saving kick (that was such bad advice. It's a kdrama rule that adults suddenly loose the ability to see or hear when bullying happens. They would be of 0 help and would most likely side with the bully because money and power and the corrupt stay corrupt). I loved her fortitude on the rooftop and fighting for her brother. My heart broke right along with hers when he jumped. But my princess YOU IN DANGER! DON'T EVEN SNIFF THE COOL AID! RUN! Silver haired almighty father wants you to call him father and suck out your purity in an ungodly, criminal, sinful, disgusting,vile manner. 

tl;dr: I'm in love with this drama. Dong Cheol is everything and I got a lot of feels. Also Cho Seong Ha (my ahjussi oppa) Jo Wan Tae, and Kang Eun Sil remain flawless thespians and if you aren't watching this you are missing out on the stellar performances they are throwing out. 

@triplem Helllo chingu :D nice to see you ^___^

in all the creepiness i found this funny, the priest/father/leader refused to take the money but his follower took it politely. ummm the money is going to the leader's pocket  ya know?

how come the people believe blindly in him? has he actually cured illness or diseases? did the naive people see the doctors afterwards the leader's divine blessing to see if they got better?

like others i too noticed the boys have fancy bikes, who paid? 

Most of the time the second lead syndrome comes after a few episode but this time I already felt it in the first 10 minutes!!!!
(Dear PD please don't make the female lead fall for the main lead but for the second lead ....the story is special so don't make the romance predictable...)
The story setting seems original but the plot is very cliché.... hope they will get away from that and give us more unique and in depth characters. 
And I'm sorry to say but I'm not convinced by Taec Yeons acting skills yet. He is good in goofy roles but this is a serious drama... let's see how he pulls it off... 

@ChyuuNyuu I find some of the cult scenes to be hilarious to be funny in outlandish it all feels but then sober up hella quick because its reality. Cults do exist and there are many who do follow someone blindly and not so blindly for a variety of reasons. As for why these people are believing and not questioning, you got to look at the people of the cult and there mental state and psychology (psychologist here so it's occupational hazard that I like to explore characters psyche). This man is picking on the weak and vulnerable, the lonely, the traumatized, the addicted, the mentally challenged. He is choosing people who seem to have no family or real support of someone to rely on or care.

People who need a helping hand. People who are desperate and seeking something. Maybe a higher purpose, a sense of purpose of belonging of being and being something, mattering. He takes people who are desperate for necessities such as food, shelter, a ear to listen, a place to sleep, a job or home.  The psychology of why people in cults do not question even though many who eventually escape often say they knew/felt something was off, is because many times they can't afford to question. This cult place is isolated (look at the long hilly drive to get there. The town is isolated), its internetworked leading way to dependence and mob mentality. These people are secluded from family, friends, a bigger world that would question them their beliefs and on turn have them learn, question, and look at possibility of something different. Again this seclusion, isolation, and dependence makes it easier to manipulate and control. You don't bite the hand that feeds you and since a cult feed off one another no one wants to be the lone one that doubts when everyone has faith.

Also religions are huge on blind faith and trusting not questioning god. To be a true worthy follower you believe. You don't question or doubt. Questioning or doubting is sort of forbidden and you're seen as an outsider, sinner, not faithful enough, not a true believer, and simply not one of the chosen (you're not special/don't belong). This leads way to exclusion and loss and yet again being outsider and other, which those in a cult seek the opposite of. They want to feel like they belong, they are part of the community, they are chosen etc etc. and if that means believing/having faith that their prayers can remove cancer (man that dude really needs to go see a doctor so his richard simmons not die sooner) then so be it. Because if not none of it is real. They have start examine their lives, their faith, their belief, and people rarely like to reflect on themselves and admit hard truths. 

Second, words are hella powerful. The pen truly is mightier than the sword. Words have started whole wars and brought about so much death and suffering. Almighty father is an enigmatic speaker that knows how to use his words. I am not the least bit suprises he got these followers. Real history has shown us words and the men behind them can hoodwink a whole nation. I mean Hitler and Nazi Germany is a prime example of what the right words and perfect presentation can do. As far as cults just look at Jim Jones, the People's Temple and the tragedy of Jonestown or David Koresh, Branch Davidians and the tragedy of Waco siege. The spaceship suicides of Heaven's Gate and most recently Scientology. When you look at these things, their members, the words and presentation their leader...how a cult forms and recruits followers is scathingly all too easy. I'm not surprised at all that the people believe "almighty father" can remove cancer and hold it in his hands. It's not hard to manipulate vulnerable desperate minds, and that's what most of the cult members are (heck it's easy to manipulate sane people if you work the person and environment right. Look at cycle of abuse in business relationship. How it works and why for so long the abused stay are very telling). 

I love the Stand By Me references (River was so a tragic death. So much talent and potential gone far too son. And interestingly he along with his siblings were raised in the cult Children of God before escaping/getting out). I agree with most in not wanting romance. Princess S got too much to worry about (not being a cults sexual prey) to think on boys. Hints of potential romance is fine, but I hope the drama never full goes there. I want her to become an adopted member/sister of the brotherhood. 

HanCinema's Drama Review "Save Me" Episode 2

photo875059.jpg

Heroes are rare and not all of them are powerful or successful. This reality is brought to the forefront through a grim incident in today's episode of "Save Me". Sang-mi's suspicions about the cult keep growing with every forced smile and every crack in the church crew's facade. The twins are under immense pressure and the group who can help them starts to drift apart.

I did not get a chance to talk about the characters of the drama in the previous review and it is time to correct this. Starting with Sang-mi (Seo Ye-ji), I am impressed by her demeanor and development as a heroine. She is smart, perceptive and essentially the head of her family, but she is not fearless or cocky. I know she will have to be colder and crueler to fight this and her journey interests me.

Sang-mi finding the task given suspiciousSang-hwan and his father asking him to not get in trouble

While Sang-mi needs help against her powerful opponents, our four young men are not the heroes she needs right now. I appreciate the series for being realistic about this. The men have differences in status, interests and skills, but they bond through their problems and fears. It is this fear which will haunt Han Sang-hwan (Taecyeon). He is not a good Samaritan like Seok Dong-cheol (Woo Do-hwan). He is someone who will be motivated by guilt and that is fine, because it is just as human.

However, assuming that his father is still a successful politician when we jump to the present, Sang-hwan will have help most people do not. This is where I assume the show's realism will end, albeit with a very harsh lesson. In a society where many turn a blind eye for personal gain or fear, it takes the very corruption of power to fight back successfully. Sang-hwan can help, because his father is privileged. If you lack backing, you are on your own.

Jeong-gi preying on a grieving familySang-jin looking for answers above

Which brings me to our villain's formidable empire. The series takes its time to portray the elaborate nature of creating a false image to prey on others. Con artists are great judges of character and they know exactly how to move people. Of course tea laced with probably psychotropic drugs "helps". There is no greater drug than religion, however and this makes it dangerous when wielded as a weapon.

The sight of Baek Jeong-gi (Jo Sung-ha) standing before the funeral portrait of a child he coerced to promote his brand is sickening. Sang-mi's dumbfounded reaction is the only appropriate one in this situation. It is my hope that while she does need help to escape this cult, she will ultimately be the one to destroy it. Heroes come and go, but those in need must stay and fight.

"Save Me" is directed by Kim Seong-soo, written by Jeong Sin-gyoo and Jeong I-do-I and features Taecyeon, Seo Ye-ji, Jo Sung-ha and Woo Do-hwan.

Written by: Orion 

Han Cinema's Drama Review "Save Me" Episode 1

It takes a lot to make someone with my film experience feel uncomfortable and "Save Me" manages it. The premiere episode packs the kind of punch we rarely see in Korean drama. The atmosphere is oppressive, the production quality great and prepare a cold shower for how sullied you will feel after meeting some of these characters. Episode one is all about exposition and preparing us for the present.

Right off the bat, the series looks and sounds stunning.The camera angles, the use of light and shadow, the careful use of special effects, everything just works well and creates cinematic quality material. The director of photography in particular is not messing around here and while no visuals can elevate a messy story, they can definitely complement a decent or good one, which I hope "Save Me" is going to be.

Sang-mi, Sang-jin and their parentsOur quartet of unlikely heroes

I simply love how slow and subtle, yet packed almost to the point of being stiffing this exposition is. Korean dramas are generally not good with characterization and establishing relationships with subtlety. Everything is exposed and in your face. "Save Me" shows us more than it tells us and therefore ends up saying a whole lot. It is the little things which do this, such as Im Sang-mi (Seo Ye-ji) holding her older brother's hand for his sake, rather than hers.

The creators trust their cast, which plays a big part in conveying a lot with very little. Most of the actors are great so far and even smaller roles contribute to the overall feeling of unease. Take the food delivery man, for example. His odd behavior at the car repair shop may just be because he is flustered in front of folks from the capital, but it still feels "off". "Save Me" makes sure that its townsfolk feel just suspiciously awkward enough to keep one alert.

Jeong-gi and his helpers manipulating a manThe cult's church

It also gives us good reasons to be alert. Just how many people of this town is the cult bribing? It is just locals or is their network bigger? The surely drugged tea and the money must be coming from somewhere. I have no comforting guesses about what or who is used in generating funds for this cult, because I hear the victims locked up in their basement loud and clear.

I have a lot to say about "Save Me" and I will let my thoughts mature for now. Details aside, I am impressed with the first episode's quality in production and writing. I doubt "Save Me" will do well in the ratings, it is not "loud" enough for drama fan tastes, but I hope it will be a work deserving of any love it can get.

"Save Me" is directed by Kim Seong-soo, written by Jeong Sin-gyoo and Jeong I-do-I and features Taecyeon, Seo Ye-ji, Jo Sung-ha and Woo Do-hwan.

Written by: Orion from 'Orion's Ramblings'

55 minutes ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

@ChyuuNyuu I find some of the cult scenes to be hilarious to be funny in outlandish it all feels but then sober up hella quick because its reality. Cults do exist and there are many who do follow someone blindly and not so blindly for a variety of reasons. As for why these people are believing and not questioning, you got to look at the people of the cult and there mental state and psychology (psychologist here so it's occupational hazard that I like to explore characters psyche). This man is picking on the weak and vulnerable, the lonely, the traumatized, the addicted, the mentally challenged. He is choosing people who seem to have no family or real support of someone to rely on or care.

People who need a helping hand. People who are desperate and seeking something. Maybe a higher purpose, a sense of purpose of belonging of being and being something, mattering. He takes people who are desperate for necessities such as food, shelter, a ear to listen, a place to sleep, a job or home.  The psychology of why people in cults do not question even though many who eventually escape often say they knew/felt something was off, is because many times they can't afford to question. This cult place is isolated (look at the long hilly drive to get there. The town is isolated), its internetworked leading way to dependence and mob mentality. These people are secluded from family, friends, a bigger world that would question them their beliefs and on turn have them learn, question, and look at possibility of something different. Again this seclusion, isolation, and dependence makes it easier to manipulate and control. You don't bite the hand that feeds you and since a cult feed off one another no one wants to be the lone one that doubts when everyone has faith.

Also religions are huge on blind faith and trusting not questioning god. To be a true worthy follower you believe. You don't question or doubt. Questioning or doubting is sort of forbidden and you're seen as an outsider, sinner, not faithful enough, not a true believer, and simply not one of the chosen (you're not special/don't belong). This leads way to exclusion and loss and yet again being outsider and other, which those in a cult seek the opposite of. They want to feel like they belong, they are part of the community, they are chosen etc etc. and if that means believing/having faith that their prayers can remove cancer (man that dude really needs to go see a doctor so his richard simmons not die sooner) then so be it. Because if not none of it is real. They have start examine their lives, their faith, their belief, and people rarely like to reflect on themselves and admit hard truths. 

Second, words are hella powerful. The pen truly is mightier than the sword. Words have started whole wars and brought about so much death and suffering. Almighty father is an enigmatic speaker that knows how to use his words. I am not the least bit suprises he got these followers. Real history has shown us words and the men behind them can hoodwink a whole nation. I mean Hitler and Nazi Germany is a prime example of what the right words and perfect presentation can do. As far as cults just look at Jim Jones, the People's Temple and the tragedy of Jonestown or David Koresh, Branch Davidians and the tragedy of Waco siege. The spaceship suicides of Heaven's Gate and most recently Scientology. When you look at these things, their members, the words and presentation their leader...how a cult forms and recruits followers is scathingly all too easy. I'm not surprised at all that the people believe "almighty father" can remove cancer and hold it in his hands. It's not hard to manipulate vulnerable desperate minds, and that's what most of the cult members are (heck it's easy to manipulate sane people if you work the person and environment right. Look at cycle of abuse in business relationship. How it works and why for so long the abused stay are very telling). 

I love the Stand By Me references (River was so a tragic death. So much talent and potential gone far too son. And interestingly he along with his siblings were raised in the cult Children of God before escaping/getting out). I agree with most in not wanting romance. Princess S got too much to worry about (not being a cults sexual prey) to think on boys. Hints of potential romance is fine, but I hope the drama never full goes there. I want her to become an adopted member/sister of the brotherhood. 

OMG WAIT WAIT WAIT! I smell a BIG misunderstanding here!
I'm sorry if I came across as if I was making fun of those people and thinking that the cults was silly! That's not what I mean at all…I probably oversimplified my statement.

I actually wanted to express my concern about how the story setting is very layered and complex but could be butchered if it is shown in a over simplified way... That's what I meant with "original setting" and "cliché plot". I DON'T want to see the same old "male lead saves female lead from the evil cult and they fall in love" because with the setting that this story has, there is so much more to be told...I didn't have the courage because my english is lacking and writing in general is not my strength but THANK YOU for elaborating the whole psychology behind religious cults =) 

I'm also a person who likes to analyze people in a more in depth manner but depending on the kdrama the characters tend to be more one dimensional (I get often annoyed but I still keep watching lol). Just like School 2017 I hope this drama will surprise us and prove otherwise!
Also some dramas tend to start of with a good concept but loose their focus in the end. So I really hope that this drama won't go down the same path because I'm already really invested. But I still have my hopes up because it's not a mainstream drama and they don't have to please a wide audience. 
The first two episodes did a good job in portraying those different characters making them more human and relatable imo and I hope it will stay that way 

:blush:

Hello guys...just creeping into this thread after watching those 2 freaking creepy episodes....episode 1 seems a lil bit slow and draggy with the introduction of the story and characters...i did skip forward some chit chat scenes..i did think that its kinda boring at first..but the storyline seem to interest me and i really am eager to learn about the secret of the cult....it sure gave us goosebump looking at all those cult people...they seem to be obsessed with their leader and somehow being possessed spiritually made up by the leader...there must be something in the 'holy' water offered by the cult team to their people...the assistant seems to put in some drop of liquid inside their drink...might be contain something like drug or incantation that might cause them to obey and obsess their leader, and having hallucination....

It's so disgusting to see how the old creepy old man and his assistants keep staring and gazing at SM's appearance...the 1st time she came to the cult church, they always repeated that "it is a gift/bless from the almighty"...the way they looked at her was kinda like they feel the presence of the beautiful SM was like a golden token to them for "something" eerie..., woah that spook me and somehow made me shiver...and all those shrieking and screaming and crying downstairs suddenly made me thought of all those thrilling and explicit gore scenes happening in common cult or exorcism movie...

I just thought, are they seeing SM as a subject or as a suitable host for some entities...or maybe they did find the innocence, beauty and pureness in SM served as a good sacrifce for something...at the same time they lust for her? ....i donno...all these horrible thought just rush out to my guess...

I am quiet into thriller and scary movies...so i am looking forward to watch they reveal the mystery,  feel thrilled to find out about the hidden face and the true agenda of the cult people...i dont mind and dont expect this drama would have too much romance side..(a slice of romance is a bonus tho:wub:)...i am much more eager and excited to see how the 4heroes came to rescue the pitiful SM from the grip of the cult...

Rescue Me: Episode 2

by petrichor

rescueme02-00125.jpg

The events of Rescue Me continue to ensnare both its viewers and the residents of Muji County. Our protagonists find themselves in ever murkier waters as the cult draws even closer to the Im Family, who find themselves faced with seemingly innocuous gifts at first, only for those gifts to escalate in size. How is a family at the end of the line to say no and refuse such “kindness?”

EPISODE 2 RECAP

rescueme02-16261.jpg rescueme02-16171.jpg

We open the episode where we left off, with the Im Family driving home from the church. This time, however, we see the scene from bumpkin biker buddies Sang-hwan and Dong-chul’s perspective, who urge each other into faster and more daring tricks as they ride on their motorcycles.

The whole thing is really just a high-speed game of chicken to Sang-hwan and Dong-chul, and just as it seems like they’re about to crash straight into the Im Family vehicle, they split paths at the last moment in front of the car and laugh at each other as they drive off.

Spoiler

rescueme02-17821.jpg

As the motorcycle sounds fade, the Im Family is left stopped on the road and shaken by the experience. “I need to get out for a minute,” daughter Sang-mi says, sounding like she might be sick.

Indeed, she collapses against a tree as soon as she gets out, and her mother comes out to check on her. When her mother touches her thigh—almost in the same place she was touched by Father Baek—Sang-mi responds with shock, and finally speaks her mind about the church and her misgivings about the situation. Her mother tries reassuring Sang-mi, but it has the air of telling a child that monsters under the bed don’t really exist.

===  Read more: http://www.dramabean...e-me-episode-2/ ===

COMMENTS

Oof. What a traumatic episode this was, for all members of the Im Family. I had felt uneasy since the bathroom incident early in the episode, but I hadn’t anticipated that it would escalate so far, so fast, nor did I foresee Sang-jin’s death in this episode. Until the last minute, I was still on the fence as to whether or not the show would let Sang-jin live, either by him coming down from the roof or being nursed back to life in the hospital. Rescue Me does a good job of keeping its viewers off-balance, so much so that I really believed for a moment that Sang-jin’s mother might follow her son off the roof.

Part of the reason it achieves this off-kilter sensation so well, at least from what I’ve seen, is the excellent use of sound. High strings or rumbling drums alert us to anything from a hand grabbing someone’s shoulder from behind or a seemingly innocuous religious gathering. Even the quiet moments of this show are sometimes woven with a sense of imminent danger, leaving us always on edge. In fact, there are almost no happy music cues in this episode except when the cult is singing in the service, and that’s one place we can almost be certain a layer of evil lurks underneath. Our protagonists just can’t catch a break. 

The editing also helps with the show’s tone significantly, especially in combination with the script. Both are executed with a deft hand, and the show flashes between scenes to build tension, especially with the church services. Sometimes the show allows us a conclusion to a scene, like the door shutting on Jung-hoon’s failed livestream, but it’s also fond of jumping away before a conversation is “officially” done. It’s like hanging up at the end of a phone conversation, but without saying goodbye. The experience is jarring but also trims away some of the unnecessary parts of the characters’ conversations

Spoiler

More on our protagonists—I’ve said I was surprised by the escalation of Sang-jin’s bullying, but I also feel that I’m missing information on several points. Some the show may answer, like Sang-mi was referring to when she reassured Sang-jin that their experience in this town would be better, what Sang-jin meant by his last words, whether or not the pamphlet had a substantial impact on his final moments, or who closed the door in the bathroom. But, for example, the show didn’t satisfactorily explain why Sang-jin was bullied so heavily within several days of this new school, and instead only showed the senseless bullying and intimidation that was inflicted upon him.

rescueme02-00379.jpg

I can accept that teenagers can just be that cruel, but the biggest question mark for me is Sang-jin himself. He didn’t get many lines before the fatal rooftop scene, and he displayed remarkably little agency. I do appreciate that his death has catapulted several characters into action and that it sets up a major catalyst for events to come, such as the family potentially being folded further into the world of the cult. But to me, Sang-jin was just a sketch of a character, and I never got to feel the stuff that makes him human.

Though the negativity that Sang-mi has brushed up against so far has been less outwardly severe than Sang-jin’s, her experiences in Muji are no less traumatic. Besides the tragedy that has just been dealt to her family, she’s also the recipient of several creepy and predatory comments/actions. The fact that she’s pretty is brought up multiple times in situations that gave me a bad gut feeling, which was only cemented by the church basement encounter with Disciple Jo.

I’m glad we’ve finally got a full picture of all the relationships in the town, even though several of the key players are still quite mysterious. The plot flows smoothly, and though the relationships are bound to change—clearly Sang-hwan and Dong-chul have split from each other in more ways than one—the current lay of the land is a useful benchmark for understanding what makes Muji tick. (Incidentally—why don’t the bullies and Sang-hwan/Dong-chul seem to know each other? It seems like Sang-hwan holds some type of reputation due to his father, yet the ringleader had to be fed an explanation on who Sang-hwan was.)

I also appreciate the small but consistent symbols like the tea and Disciple Jo’s perfume, and I’m curious to know more about them. Is the tea just a way for the cult to get their foot in the door with the local residents, or something more sinister? Oddly, the constant references to a paternal figure in the cult, Father Baek, are reminiscent of Sang-hwan’s father’s new campaign slogan: “I will protect you with the heart of a father.” I was prepared to write it off as coincidence, but Disciple Jo’s “We’ll protect you as if you’re our family” echoed it closely. Interesting.

It’s only Episode 2, so I have faith that Rescue Me will answer these burning questions with style, considering its fascinating setting. Though, as we can see from the show, faith can be a dangerous thing.

"The four country bumpkin". These boys shows us what's life as youth and not in city. <3

Already waiting for Ep 3.

Taecyon looks.. old. But he can still carry the look of a high schooler when he's wearing uniform. Heck, Bae Yoon Jung was early 30s when he played high school character :D

IGs ctto as tagged.

Archived