[Drama 2017-2018] Man who sets the table, 밥상 차리는 남자

0ly40

I started this drama because I thought the lead couple Roo-Ri and Tae-Yang had a funny meet-cute in the early episodes on the subway and later on in Guam. Plus, I liked Tae-Yang's blended family. His half-brother and step-sister are so so cute. How can you not like a guy who crochets to relieve stress?

BUT, Roo-Ri's dad is such a domineering, selfish jerk-- it's just way too much to take. At first, I thought it might be okay because his wife asked to leave, but it's been 10 episodes and she's still there! Divorce him already! He's a terrible husband and father. I thought Ru-Ri's brother was as bad, but it seems like his story is more tragic, especially with his ex-girlfriend in jail. The thing is, a doctor pushed into marrying a rich family's daughter is a story-line I've seen repeated in other weekend dramas like What Happens to My Family? and Our Gab Soon. Also if I want to see awful parents push their poor kids into making terrible life choices, I can rewatch Our Gab Soon, which I really don't want to do because it was terrible and I'll never got those hours of my life back.

So that's it. I'm quitting here at ten episodes. It's too bad because I wanted to see Roo-Ri grow into a more confidant person with Tae-Yang and I'm super curious about what happened between Hwa-Young (Tae-Yang's mom) and Kevin Miller in the past. Then again, I remember that all the flashback scenes are shot with the same older actors wearing wigs and lots of make-up trying to act young, which only makes the effect look cheesier. Umm... yeah, I'm not going to regret dropping this drama.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still okay, i think I'll continue with this one a little bit more, I'm now liking the little girl and her scenes with the RuRi's dad, i hope he will be her real Grandpa with DNA test and everything... I think the little girl may change him into more loving person, but how will she be accepted as a family member i  want to see her story. I also like how the little girl has a similar nose with the actor plays her dad, is that a coincidence or what? 

RuRi's story this week is a bit weak, why did she let people bully her like that? Not realistic.

I think something wrong with the writer, feels like the story isn't as  interesting as when it first started. And the misunderstanding about the little girl is way over exaggerated, is this writer wants to make RuRi's dad into a more hated person? 

And what with RuRi's brother? He has no credits of his own as a doctor? Why so afraid of the wife family?

I'm watching because of the cast, but i feel bad when i see the low ratings. Is it the writing?

On 10/3/2017 at 4:47 PM, KiwiNeko said:

I started this drama because I thought the lead couple Roo-Ri and Tae-Yang had a funny meet-cute in the early episodes on the subway and later on in Guam. Plus, I liked Tae-Yang's blended family. His half-brother and step-sister are so so cute. How can you not like a guy who crochets to relieve stress?

BUT, Roo-Ri's dad is such a domineering, selfish jerk-- it's just way too much to take. At first, I thought it might be okay because his wife asked to leave, but it's been 10 episodes and she's still there! Divorce him already! He's a terrible husband and father. I thought Ru-Ri's brother was as bad, but it seems like his story is more tragic, especially with his ex-girlfriend in jail. The thing is, a doctor pushed into marrying a rich family's daughter is a story-line I've seen repeated in other weekend dramas like What Happens to My Family? and Our Gab Soon. Also if I want to see awful parents push their poor kids into making terrible life choices, I can rewatch Our Gab Soon, which I really don't want to do because it was terrible and I'll never got those hours of my life back.

So that's it. I'm quitting here at ten episodes. It's too bad because I wanted to see Roo-Ri grow into a more confidant person with Tae-Yang and I'm super curious about what happened between Hwa-Young (Tae-Yang's mom) and Kevin Miller in the past. Then again, I remember that all the flashback scenes are shot with the same older actors wearing wigs and lots of make-up trying to act young, which only makes the effect look cheesier. Umm... yeah, I'm not going to regret dropping this drama.

Agreed, Our Gab soon was bad every episode .. and every couple/pairing/triangle was dysfunctional, however this one not as bad - i'll give it 10 more episodes to see if i will drop   

what is everything else watching and liking nowadays ??

On 2017/10/4 at 8:22 PM, TRAN said:

I'm watching because of the cast, but i feel bad when i see the low ratings. Is it the writing?

I feel most of the story have already been told in first few episodes and the rest 40+ of episodes would likely just drag on those storylines. Now I just fast forward to the bits I am interested.

In case anyone is interested, this drama, among with other MBC weekend and daily dramas, would stop airing this week because of the MBC union strike.

https://www.soompi.com/2017/10/18/4-mbc-dramas-pause-broadcasts-support-strike/

On 10/2/2017 at 11:12 AM, Nodame said:

Thanks for these posts. I  don't usually follow weekend dramas but this one is TOO cute.

Reveal hidden contents

@Nodame  I finally caught back up on this drama after watching the first few episode.. But after rewatching I have to admit I'm hook and all in looking forward to the next episodes.. 

Now when it comes to the dad I have to say if I was driving and he was any where near by I would make the point to run him over full speed ahead.. (Whoa this man is a piece of work) How dare tell his wife since he's to old to change why not fix her to fit him unbelievable.. I don't see how she stayed with this man as long as she did.. He creates all these problems and it's everybody else fault that his plans don't go accordingly especially the mom supossedly her doing because in his own words she just stupid.. Which she is because had that been some other wife he'd be dead by now from rat poision or a gun shot to the head..  He never hears what anyone else says only hears himself and believe in himself nobody can be right about anything but him..

Now when it comes to the Lil girl I don't think thats the Son's daughter.. Why would the childs mother stipulate that the DNA testing be done only at a certain hospital.. This should have sent up alarm bells to the dumb old man.. But I like the Lil Girl she's just as stubborn as the old man is and I hope dhe gies that old man a run for his old money..

Finally I have some time to write my opinion about the drama. I'm actually finding myself enjoying the drama. One of the biggest reason, is how the drama actually address family issues. From where I'm coming from, some old man are indeed acting  like that. They never understand what they did wrong and even  until the day of their death they are still being the total *ss. Believe me, even my close friend has a mother who slaps her daughter for delivering  food a few seconds late. Knowing that an old person never thinks right, acting like a pure evil kid, this kind of behavior are usually a 'pass' for children to ignore and endure as a token of appreciation to their parents for raising them. 

The real makjang character is Taeyang's stepfather's mom. Damn, she's crazy. 

I never understood whenever a wife complaining their life is over when a man brings in his daughter in the family, and I think I would never ever understand the reason  of emotionally depressed of raising a child of another woman. LOL. I already have plans of adopting a child if I dont have one when I reach 30.. But this is happening left and right, they are so sure that the kid would reminds her of her husband's another love - I love that the drama shown us how she saw the kid has her husband's features and even similarities behavior with Roori when she was told the kid is her grandfather's daughter. But once when she knows she's her husbands, suddenly she reminds her of another woman. 

Roori and Taeyang's story are so light (or may appear a bit weak for some viewers) that I personally think balances out the heavy part of the whole drama. 

Btw, the latest episode recorded at 12.7% nationwide. They did well.:)

I'm glad to see the rating is going up. 

Last week i find the little girl is too cute when acting shy in front of her father and hides behind her grandma. I really hope she's the real deal not a fake one.

I'm glad Myung Rang is still around, she reminds me a bit of the ghost friend from Let's fight Ghost! Am I crazy if I want her as a main character LMAO

Han Gyul looks so much like So Won I'd be disappointed if she wasn't really his daughter (even though that DNA test scene seemed suspicious) I find this show entertaining even though the dad's a jerk but still don't hate him as much as Ae Ri, plus I'm bored of watching goody-goody kdrama characters and I love the main leads chemistry (the way they smile at each other is too cute :wub:) so I will watch this until the end :)

@sava2sava Great for catching up. I just caught up too as I am juggling THE MOST dramas ever in a long time. So that fact that 17-18 were not shown last weekend helped me catch up.

The father reminds me of my dad. He doesn't see his faults, flies off the handle and is ALWAYS rights and wants to control everyone. BUT thankfully my mom balances him and though his heart is in the right place, it is hard to deal with my dad as his words are BRUTAL and not kind. Not unlike the dad here in this drama.

The mother in law is a piece of work. Seriously, the So Won did not cheat on her precious daughter. Your putting the ultimatum no daughter or no my daughter is HARSH. Good for him to choose both but MOVING out from her! Yeah you gave all the money and supported him. But you dear are a piece of work and he doesn't want to do this but you pushed yourself to the corner. Good for him to come to care for his wife. As his mom said, So Won is not the warmest person but he realizes he HIT the jackpot with his wife.

I hope So Won's wife can get over the hysterics. So Won did NOT cheat on you. Seriously poor guy is treated wrongly for something he did not KNOW and his dad meddled in his business causing them to break up. FINALLY the obedient son who believed in dad 100% is finally  standing up to dad (what Roori has been trying to do for years but got chastised by him.) Though dad wants to think he KNOWS right he doesn't always account for their happiness more about the status and things  he can give. 

Given society and status are important, he did not have to be so low handed but then again there would be no drama. He is finally nice to his wife after she sincerely kneeled to the loony MIL willing to take care of Han Gyul. Han Gyul the poor gal is warming my heart. When So won was sad to notice she did not cry at the dentist and told his mom his heart broke. Broken kids with no one for them don't cry as they know they have no one to comfort them. AWWW.

Roori and Taeyang are having the easy LIGHT HEARTED story our OTP in this makjang. Even the CEO's daughter trying to sabotage them with Chef Noh doesn't compare to the hysterics of his step dad's and colleague mom and Roori's dad family hi jinks. I love how he is level headed and found the secret camera. Also he showed the pics of the CEO's adopted daughter of her pic with the guy who accused the hair in his food. Two strikes and one more you are out. Even more better the CEO found out and can see that Taeyang is a standup guy unlike his adoptive daughter. 

Face palm when the associate recommended to the CEO (and Taeyang's dad) to have the daughter and Taeyang date. UHMMM seriously you think Taeyang is interested in the corrupt and MEAN daughter?! Plus Roori you should NOT have lied and hid your relationship with Taeyang or at least if worried it would cause problems being office romance ---still show INTEREST. This side drama could have been avoided.

Side story the more Taeyang's Step Dad the chef doesn't tell his family (the younger kid's why GRANDMA is evil) she is never going to get it. I cannot blame her. You say be nice to so and so but be EVIL to my own grandmother. Without specific reasons I would be worried too and not believe the --just don't talk and go to her. Finally Taeyang's mom burned the photo. Now that locket photo will not be an issue. But with his little step sis wanting to tell Taeyang the truth of his parentage---WHO is she to tell him when it should be his mom? 

I liked that Taeyang's Dad/CEO realized after digging more he found out that Taeyang was not someone who wanted to take advantage of his power or greedy. Glad to see they get along and even he mentioned liking him alot like he wished his son could be him. So ironic. Also when the CEO mentioned Taeyang's mom left she had baby clothes (no duh no wonder now he asked if she had a kid) Why would a woman have baby clothes? Even if as present for friend's kids STILL. Sounds too suspicious.

Looking forward to the next 2 episodes. Though this is not an active forum thanks for letting me share my thoughts. I have to get back to work it is morning and I still have a long ways to go at work .

Archived