[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Wolf 狼殿下

sugarplum892

So happy this is out...finally. I don’t think I have seen Wang Dalu in a lead role other than his movie, Our Times. If you haven’t seen it, you should - the messages within are quite beautiful.

This is a pretty long drama, for me at least, so I am pacing myself. I am enjoying the characters thus far and I find wolfie’s snarl whether as a wild kid or as the third prince quite charismatic. :hwaiting2:

• Like 3

I actually love this drama. I think we all been waiting for this drama way too long. So, I am so glad it’s out but I am sad they release everything so I don’t know will this drama get a ranking drop. It’s really good and Li Qin did a wonderful job showing pain and crying her eyes out. I am a Darren Wang fan now. :blush:

• Like 3
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

On 11/22/2020 at 5:14 PM, morningdew said:

XiaoZhan's first appearance

XiaoZhan & Li Qin

What magic a bath can do! :sparklyeyes:

like a before and after comparison of using a good shower gel/cream. 

Xiao Zhan cleans up nice but I also saw what is to come in future episodes. *regrets* 

• Like 3

Finished till Episode 6.

Aishh their Love reminsense Hate story with simple complex Warring dynasties make me sniff a bit.Hence I prefer not to binge watch which is easier because Subs arent available Lol.Spares me some PTSD.

Wang Dalu is now Prince Bo, was Prince Bo written to be heartless or he just wants to be not WOLFIE, his Perpetual angry face with the Prominent Frown can Rival that of Lixian from GoGo Squid. I mean like dude go easy on Frown angry face. 

Wang Dalu and Liqin chemistry is great , the background story makes the push pull more intresting.I just wish it was not dubbed but anyhow.

Spoiler

OMG the Nasty Yang Emperor declared Zhan Xing and Bo to be bethrothed? , as per Tweet spoilers doesnt she end up marrung XZs character? I was so happy though when the declaration happened but costume drama marriage declaration and actual husband are Not Reliable at all!!.

This is such a twisted fate of wolfie and Xinger , he knows her father was murdered by his adopted father to elliminate the Jin Famiky who may actually be her original family , her father is the foster father, both are orphans with unknown origin and have Plethora of misunderstandings.What is happening.My GOD IT Takes a LOT NOT TO BINGE WATCH This!!!.

Stressed Out Community GIF

• Like 1

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I've seen it to episode 14 subbed (thanks to Viki, I caved in and brought their subscription to get early access :3). Here are my two cents on this so far: 

Anywho, I'm loving the chemistry between Wolfie and Xinger. I especially love the arrow scene where she got jealous because he was treating the Khitan princess really good. I found it so cute especially when she was aiming for both of his hands and then he told her to aim for his heart ahhhhhhh

100+ Heart Meme ideas | heart meme, love memes, wholesome memes

We got some bits of romance before he turns all cold and frowny again. 

I'm liking Xiao Zhan's character in here but I'm still confused on what his true identity is in the main story?

Spoiler

It looks like he's the crown prince in some of the videos? I thought he was going to be the fourth prince that was taken hostage but who knows? We'll probably find out later on. 

However, I don't really like Xiao Zhan's dubbed voice. It just doesn't suit him at all compare to his original voice or the voice in the Untamed, but oh well, I will live. Anything for Xiao Zhan and Li Qin haha

I'm excited to see how this all plays out. I'm really conflicted because I love her with both Xiao Zhan and Darren Wang :3. My heart can't choose and probably is going to be broken either ways. 

Edited by nevva3
  • Like 2

Wolfie’s adoptive father is responsible for killing both Xinger’s real family and adoptive family, if I am not mistaken. the first was by revolt and the second was because of military might of which Wolfie was but a mere cog in the wheel that carried out his plans. The reason why he saved Wolfie was because of the beastly strength and instincts Wolfie had that are assets for war.

the only reason why Wolfie doesn’t rebel is one related to conscience, albeit a very twisted one. He pledged allegiance to his father for raising him, yet carries out his duties as his father’s tool, knowing that those duties aren’t for the best of reasons. He is indebted to his dead eldest brother for kinship, guidance and final sacrifice, but has to exact revenge on an enemy he is supposed to be protecting. Poor fella has to wrestle with politics while promising Xinger forever, hiding his knowledge that their time together is likely to be short-lived. He’s forever treading on a fine line and is hostage to his father’s whims and fancies with Xinger around. So terribly painful to live like that.

the hot and then cold treatment of Xinger reflects his kind and diabolical ways. This fella is very pathetically torn. His situation also brings up this: what good is money, status and power when you cannot live happily? 

jichong, Xiao Shan’s character, is the opposite of Wolfie. He abandons the riches to have a chance at happiness. Though their situations are vastly different, it is the choices that they made that will pave their future. 

I am at ep 22 (duboku has all the eps out but in Chinese) and am truly enjoying the story. I ve read bits here n there that the end is less than ideal, in fact, an ending I dislike the most but am still watching. So that says something about the show. Also, am quite enjoying DW’s frowny faces. :angry: Keke.

• Like 4

I like the romantic damsel in distress rescue scenes and music.  Why did they smear rouge straight across Li Quin's face?  :blush:  even on the emoji it's just on the cheek bones. 

I liked the opening, wolf boy scenes, with the animals and forest. I liked the shadow puppets.  Kind of went downhill for me after that. I think Li Quin seems too mature for the role, or maybe it is the voice of the dubber that is stiff, I heard her real voice is very beautiful.

Darren Wang is my favorite in this. I actually do "feel his pain".   Zhan is very handsome, but seems to much younger than Li Qin. 

The plot for me is not too interesting, and too many tease scenes, so I started skipping ahead a lot, and doesn't seem like I miss much. 

1 hour ago, maddymappo said:

Kind of went downhill for me after that. I think Li Quin seems too mature for the role, or maybe it is the voice of the dubber that is stiff, I heard her real voice is very beautiful.

The Dubbed Voices Puts me off as Well, LiQin has a good voice, but mostly the costume dramas are dubbed due to the dialect and dialoges being used which is I guess different for Ancient Chinese Era.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 4:27 AM, madmad min said:

The Dubbed Voices Puts me off as Well, LiQin has a good voice, but mostly the costume dramas are dubbed due to the dialect and dialoges being used which is I guess different for Ancient Chinese Era.

HK actors tend to speak their lines in Cantonese as they’re more comfortable in it but those from the Mainland and Taiwan would speak in Mandarin. When they used to have Korean artistes starring in Chinese dramas, the Korean aristies would be speaking their lines in Korean. Mostly dubbing is because of convenience (more effort needed to record dialogue clearly on the set). Dubbing by professional voice actors can be due to the actors having a strong accent (eg Taiwanese accent) or pronunication that is not so perfect or they are not able to do their own dubbing (schedule conflict, Covid restrictions, etc) or they don’t want to do their own dubbing (more lucrative to spend the time doing other jobs, not confident, etc).

• Thanks 1

A beautiful tale about how love conquers all things great and small. Fate/destiny decides on your deck of cards but what you do with it depends solely on yourself. Will, strength, loyalty, love and good choices sure can beat the crap out of evil.

Spoiler

It’s also a bloody tragedy. Gaahhh. The sacrifices the leads made for each other are OTT noble. What torturous lives and treacherous journeys they have made only to end up dead. While I am crying blue murder about killing the main leads and not getting my HEA, I remain content that they finally reconciled and stuck together till the end. Sob. 

Granted some parts were a little too dramatic for my liking and other parts repetitive, I liked that the show kept me guessing till the end. I also loved the rapport of the first/second leads as well as the group of assassins. They do need to improve on their sub-par nose-squishing smooching skills but it’s 49 episodes pretty well-spent.

• Like 4

I am scrolling past and will come back and read everyone’s comments but I just started ep 1 today and don’t know much and didn’t want to get spoiled!!! So far ep 1 is quite sweet and nostalgic feeling like series from the 80’s lol. 

• Like 3

I have to say guys, I loved all the OSTs so far. This is just my thoughts but I really do think the opening song, “Who Am I” really is reflective of Lord Bo’s struggle with trying to be both Wolfie to Xinger and Lord Bo to please the king. The struggle is real and you can truly see how it affects Lord Bo. As much as he want to be Wolfie for Xinger, he knows he can’t because of all the blood that he has on his hand and if he becomes Wolfie, he can no longer guarantee Xinger’s safety and protect her as the mighty Lord Bo. 

Here is my thoughts on the drama so far. I’ve seen to episode 26 now:

Spoiler

It’s getting so good and finally Xinger learns the truth behind her father’s death. My heart breaks for her when Lord Bo comes with his men and arrested her. I know he does this because of Yao Ji’s ridiculous plan to poison her and it was just another way to ensure that she would be safe. So sad that the only way that he can break this chain between them is to trade his life for her. I really am not prepared for him to die. As much as I love Xinger with Ji Chong, I want a happy ending between Xinger and Lord Bo, just because of everything they went through and that mini wedding scene between them was so tragic as Lord Bo knows that it’ll be hard for them to be together. He didn’t bow :crybaby:knowing that they’ll later be enemies. 

I can’t wait for the upcoming episodes. This is just my prediction but I think the Ma Army is going to capture 4th prince and exchange him with Xinger. Maybe, this is what brings Xinger to Jin and hopefully she learns her true identity? Ji Chong becomes general again of Jin.

Okay last rant: I really hope Xinger and Lord Bo reconciled again but I just don’t know how they will anymore. There’s so much agony between them (starting to remind me of Goodbye My Princess, ahhhhh there goes my heart). 

I really want to read the spoilers but I’m holding myself back because I want to see how this all plays out at the end. 

• Like 5

On 12/3/2020 at 1:11 AM, Don Yu said:

Does anyone have a spotify link to Jolin Tsai's love ending  theme (NOT the opening song)?

I would like to get this as well. Loved that ending credit song from Jolin. 

Finished all 49 episodes yesterday watching from Dramacool as I cannot wait for Youtube version. 

Spoiler

The moment they showed us in Episode 47 when JC confessed to ZS that BW did not do all those evil things, I know in my heart that they are going to show 1 episode of the wholesome love between ZS and BW and break our hearts on the very last episode. :bawling: 

I think someone posted previously as well. I am not sure how ZS got poisoned. She went to support a battle, came back and everyone congratulated her but the next scene she is unconscious being treated. I am not even sure when she got hurt?  

Guess I should have seen it coming since this is supposedly part 2 of the prince series (Part 1 being Lan Ling Wang where everyone dies). 

• Like 1

@Clemzstar To answer your question ... 

Spoiler

Xinger drank some potion procured by Yaoji to make her stronger for the battle. That potion had side effects, like a poison. I think it’s similar to the one that the Emperor gave to Langzai. 

Anyway, I enjoyed this drama, marathoned it in a few days. The pace was good - a few dull moments when Bo Wang went hot and cold with Xinger, but overall, a good drama for me in 2020. Fan of Xiao Zhan now :)

• Like 4