[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Guardian 镇魂

sugarplum892

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone help me with some confusion that I have about SW's role as black robe?

In the drama version, I kind of have the impression that he is also a Dixing-ian. The Dixings seem to dislike him because black robe is against Dixings leaving the underground and venture onto the surface. It also seems that he has a superior at the Dixing world, meaning he is a subordinate and there are more powerful beings above him. So is he a Dixing?

The drama outlined 3 races: Humans, Dixing (undergrounders) and Heng xian. This kind of has a fantasy/ science fiction undertone to it. What is Hengxian?

Is the novel version like the drama version, or does it lean more towards traditional myth (humans, ghost, spirit, God, deity etc)?

8 hours ago, dzareth said:

Can anyone help me with some confusion that I have about SW's role as black robe?

In the drama version, I kind of have the impression that he is also a Dixing-ian. The Dixings seem to dislike him because black robe is against Dixings leaving the underground and venture onto the surface. It also seems that he has a superior at the Dixing world, meaning he is a subordinate and there are more powerful beings above him. So is he a Dixing?

The drama outlined 3 races: Humans, Dixing (undergrounders) and Heng xian. This kind of has a fantasy/ science fiction undertone to it. What is Hengxian?

Is the novel version like the drama version, or does it lean more towards traditional myth (humans, ghost, spirit, God, deity etc)?

SW is a Dixing Ren. His ability is to learn or replicate others power and that's why he is so powerful. Thousands of year ago, there was major chaos and war between human and Dixing and he was one of the people who helped end the war and preserved peace afterward by having Dixing remain underground and human lives above. That's why some Dixing view him as hero while other think he is a traitor by trapping them underground. He is view as superior in the Dixing world because of his power but he is not part of any real bureaucracy, the underground world have their own 'government' and he is not really a part of it. It is just that he is willing to preserve the peace and take responsibility of following their rule. That's why when he find Dixing who escape and went above to the human world, he sometime capture them and turn them over to the 'government'. However, he is pretty soft-hearted and let a majority of them go.

The three races are actually human (I think Hengxian is another term for human), Dixing and Yao (the flower, snake, and bird type of race). 

As for the novel, it is about traditional myths but due to china's restriction of such topic, they turned it to more scfi, more mutant like X-men lol So it is completely different in that sense...

1 hour ago, BreezeC said:

As for the novel, it is about traditional myths but due to china's restriction of such topic, they turned it to more scfi, more mutant like X-men lol So it is completely different in that sense...

So in the novel, is SW God/ deity/ spirit/ etc? Is Dixing supposed to be hell or spirit world?

And ZYL 

Spoiler

is supposed to be a reincarnated God/ spirit?

Good morning Everyone! Last night I found this video and I think this might be the ending:

I hope the ending is not a sad ending... 

Finally get to see SW kiss ZYL on his cheek, hopefully Blackrobe is alive in the end. 

What agonizing wait until Wednesday and Thursday

I am a bit worried though

Shen Wei has now become much weaker in ep 33 because he rescued YL eyes in previous episodes.

even when attacked by the Judge and others  he becomes easily hurt etc :(

Also in the last episode Shen will be badly injured because he is shielding YL. I am wondering how they might be able to defeat night?

Maybe YL power will come back  (after his memory come back too?)

Shen will not  be able to defeat Night in his current state .

:)

@cherylrose

their hairstyle is so so much different from the guardian drama.   Shen fringe is way too short in the video (must be from previous drama)

plus ZYL has no beard. In Guardian ZYL has beard throughout. 

most likely t is just a fan cut  from other dramas(and edited to make it look real)  hehe

2 minutes ago, valerie86 said:

What agonizing wait until Wednesday and Thursday

I am a bit worried though

Shen Wei has now become much weaker in ep 33 because he rescued YL eyes in previous episodes.

even when attacked by the Judge and others  he becomes easily hurt etc :(

Also in the last episode Shen will be badly injured because he is shielding YL. I am wondering how they might be able to defeat night?

Maybe YL power will come back  (after his memory come back too?)

Shen will not  be able to defeat Night in his current state .

:)

I agree with you agonizing wait until Wednesday and Thursday. See my above comments and I just post a video just only, that might be the ending. SW kiss ZYL on his cheek but I wonder will SW stay alive because of his power from now to the end I don't know how he can survive. But if the Legend of the Blackrobe is Powerful then he should be able to live even though he give his blood to ZYL. He should still have Half-Power... I wonder anyone knows anything?? 

@node  

thank you so so much for the video and Eng Sub  you are the best. i really find the Eng sub  very helpful now I can understand the whole thing :D:D

the last video that has japanese subs make me giggle like a little girl .. it is the sweetest thing ever ever!

Bai Yu and Zhu Yi Long really really really get along that well in real life .. I am in heaven really :)   I rarely see a big actor who has a friendly  and shy personality as Zhu Yi Long (when he giggle and with the microphones omg so cute) 

even though in the drama they are not allowed to say the forbidden love word, but the eye staring are really intense  (When Shen and Zhao look at each other) and the eyes said it  all

Spoilers based on the Novel on their past (I am sure the drama will not follow the novel because they are restricting the mention of god and ghost which is the premise and the main focus on the novel)

My Chinese is not that good especially with the Chinese myths but I think I get the basic understanding of the plot :) 

As promised @dzareth

Spoiler

In the ancient time, there existed a few ancient god and goddess and one of them was KunLun (ZYL in present time), the God of Mountain. At that time, he watched as a kid how Nüwa (mother goddess of Chinese mythology) created mankind from dirt and then she realized her mistake as the dirt are contaminated with three poisons, greed, hatred, and ignorance (My rough interpretation) But it was already too late. This resulted in two major battles afterward and they could only watch as human live their short lives and then died afterward with their soul wandering endless in eternal suffering. Slowly, one by one these gods sacrificed themselves in attempt to make the world better.

One of the ancient gods came up with a plan to save all these helpless soul by creating reincarnation where these human will never truly ‘die’. Therefore, he borrowed KunLun’s soul fire and dropped it into the “Land of Disrespectful” (The part of the land that has the contaminated dirt). However, his plan failed, instead of creating the underworld for reincarnation, he created a different race, a race named ‘Ghost’ without soul. These ‘ghost’ were born from the three poisons and their basic instincts were mindlessly killing and devouring. They were born with ranking and the lowest ranks were the ugliest creatures and the highest rank, the Lord of Ghost, were the most beautiful creatures. It was unique and rare to have Lord of Ghost and only two were formed at that time (SW and Ghost Face (aka Night in the drama).

Later Nuwa sacrificed herself to repairing the Pillar of Heaven, the other god sacrificed himself and created the underworld for reincarnation, and KunLun sacrificed himself and along with 4 magical items sealed the “Land of Disrespectful” to prevent these ghosts from coming out.

After KunLun sacrificed himself, his soul/spirit still remained and was stationed at the “Land of Disrespectful” to watch over it. There, he met Young Lord of Ghost, a teenage who kept following him. One day, KunLun asked him why he kept following him. Very innocent and very straightforward, Young Lord of Ghost simply said, “I like you.” KunLun, who was bored while stationed at this plain land, decided to ask him, “Why do you like me?” Young Lord of Ghost replied honestly, “You are good looking. I want to hug you.” KunLun was a bit shock at his reply but found it amusing and said “You never even pursue me, I look down on you.” Young Lord of Ghost didn’t understand what he meant but he felt whatever he said is right. Later, KunLun asked him over and started ‘teaching’ him. (Side note: KunLun was the youngest ancient god and his personality was a bit naughty; hence, Nuwa had gifted him a cat to steer him away from causing trouble to other gods before) Therefore, KunLun started teaching him stuff that was half-truth half made up and Young Lord of Ghost treated his word as gold. (Poor baby)

As time passed, they became each other only companions. Young Lord of Ghost started ‘pursuing’ him but since there was really nothing in this land except for those lowest ugly creatures. He created a necklace from those creatures’ teeth using his hair and gifted it to KunLun. When KunLun saw it, all he felt was a toothache. He accepted it to not hurt Young Lord of Ghost feeling but Young Lord of Ghost knew from his reaction that he didn’t like it. One day, he said he knew of a beautiful fragrance flower and said if he made a necklace with that flower would he like it? KunLun became caution and asked him, “Are you trying to please me, so that you can get out?” Young Lord of Ghost quickly shook his head. Later KunLun teased him and asked him, “Why then?” Young Lord of Ghost suddenly became very emotional, he wanted to convey his feeling but no word came out because he didn’t know how to express himself. Seeing him like this, KunLun just laughed and gave him a gentle kiss on his forehead.

Afterward, Young Lord of Ghost disappeared for 50 year and came back more grown up. He brought with him KunLun’s soul fire that was scattered all over the “Land of Disrespectful” and returned it back to him. When KunLun asked him what he wanted in return, Young Lord of Ghost hesitated but point at his forehead, “This...can I have another one?” KunLun looked at him for a long time and finally grabbed his chin, and gave him a very gentle kiss on his lip and then held his hand. He looked at him seriously and said, “I am rich with mountains and lands but now that I think about it, they are just a bunch of rock and rivers, looking myself from top to bottom, it only seem my sincerity (true heart) are worth something. Do you want it? Take it.” (I believe this is the point that KunLun realized that he fell in love with the Young Lord of Ghost)

Later, KunLun told him to keep his soul fire and gifted him his ‘muscle bone’ which represented his god’s power of the mountains. He injected it into the Young Lord of Ghost and told him, “Now my hundred thousands of mountains are under your command and you are now a half god and half ghost, who can travel freely throughout three realms, I won’t restraint you anymore.” Young Lord of Ghost said he will not leave, he wanted to stay with KunLun but KunLun said his time is up, he will perish soon.

As a result, Young Lord of Ghost sneakily attacked KunLun and restrained his soul/spirit. He brought him down to the underworld and begged the other god who created reincarnation to let KunLun reincarnate as human. In order to do that, the god needs to seal away all of KunLun’s god status/power and turn him into a human for him to enter the reincarnation cycle. In exchange, he made a pact with the Young Lord of Ghost. The Young Lord of Ghost will take on the responsibility of guarding the “Land of Disrespectful” and make sure the seal is intact. If one day, the seal is broken, the Young Lord of Ghost needs to sacrifice himself to reseal it. In addition, he can never meet KunLun in all of his lifetime, if he break that promise and see him, KunLun will be consume by his darkness and forever perish...

In the end, for five thousand years, SW became the soul-slayer, with the heavy responsibility of preserving peace and keeping the seal intact while watching KunLun afar for each and every single lifetime….until this lifetime as ZYL where some unknown force caused them to finally met.

That’s all for now…Please forgive me for any typo and grammar issue lol :D

39 minutes ago, BreezeC said:

Spoilers based on the Novel on their past (I am sure the drama will not follow the novel because they are restricting the mention of god and ghost which is the premise and the main focus on the novel)

My Chinese is not that good especially with the Chinese myths but I think I get the basic understanding of the plot :) 

As promised @dzareth

Hide contents

In the ancient time, there existed a few ancient god and goddess and one of them was KunLun (ZYL in present time), the God of Mountain. At that time, he watched as a kid how Nüwa (mother goddess of Chinese mythology) created mankind from dirt and then she realized her mistake as the dirt are contaminated with three poisons, greed, hatred, and ignorance (My rough interpretation) But it was already too late. This resulted in two major battles afterward and they could only watch as human live their short lives and then died afterward with their soul wandering endless in eternal suffering. Slowly, one by one these gods sacrificed themselves in attempt to make the world better.

One of the ancient gods came up with a plan to save all these helpless soul by creating reincarnation where these human will never truly ‘die’. Therefore, he borrowed KunLun’s soul fire and dropped it into the “Land of Disrespectful” (The part of the land that has the contaminated dirt). However, his plan failed, instead of creating the underworld for reincarnation, he created a different race, a race named ‘Ghost’ without soul. These ‘ghost’ were born from the three poisons and their basic instincts were mindlessly killing and devouring. They were born with ranking and the lowest ranks were the ugliest creatures and the highest rank, the Lord of Ghost, were the most beautiful creatures. It was unique and rare to have Lord of Ghost and only two were formed at that time (SW and Ghost Face (aka Night in the drama).

Later Nuwa sacrificed herself to repairing the Pillar of Heaven, the other god sacrificed himself and created the underworld for reincarnation, and KunLun sacrificed himself and along with 4 magical items sealed the “Land of Disrespectful” to prevent these ghosts from coming out.

After KunLun sacrificed himself, his soul/spirit still remained and was stationed at the “Land of Disrespectful” to watch over it. There, he met Young Lord of Ghost, a teenage who kept following him. One day, KunLun asked him why he kept following him. Very innocent and very straightforward, Young Lord of Ghost simply said, “I like you.” KunLun, who was bored while stationed at this plain land, decided to ask him, “Why do you like me?” Young Lord of Ghost replied honestly, “You are good looking. I want to hug you.” KunLun was a bit shock at his reply but found it amusing and said “You never even pursue me, I look down on you.” Young Lord of Ghost didn’t understand what he meant but he felt whatever he said is right. Later, KunLun asked him over and started ‘teaching’ him. (Side note: KunLun was the youngest ancient god and his personality was a bit naughty; hence, Nuwa had gifted him a cat to steer him away from causing trouble to other gods before) Therefore, KunLun started teaching him stuff that was half-truth half made up and Young Lord of Ghost treated his word as gold. (Poor baby)

As time passed, they became each other only companions. Young Lord of Ghost started ‘pursuing’ him but since there was really nothing in this land except for those lowest ugly creatures. He created a necklace from those creatures’ teeth using his hair and gifted it to KunLun. When KunLun saw it, all he felt was a toothache. He accepted it to not hurt Young Lord of Ghost feeling but Young Lord of Ghost knew from his reaction that he didn’t like it. One day, he said he knew of a beautiful fragrance flower and said if he made a necklace with that flower would he like it? KunLun became caution and asked him, “Are you trying to please me, so that you can get out?” Young Lord of Ghost quickly shook his head. Later KunLun teased him and asked him, “Why then?” Young Lord of Ghost suddenly became very emotional, he wanted to convey his feeling but no word came out because he didn’t know how to express himself. Seeing him like this, KunLun just laughed and gave him a gentle kiss on his forehead.

Afterward, Young Lord of Ghost disappeared for 50 year and came back more grown up. He brought with him KunLun’s soul fire that was scattered all over the “Land of Disrespectful” and returned it back to him. When KunLun asked him what he wanted in return, Young Lord of Ghost hesitated but point at his forehead, “This...can I have another one?” KunLun looked at him for a long time and finally grabbed his chin, and gave him a very gentle kiss on his lip and then held his hand. He looked at him seriously and said, “I am rich with mountains and lands but now that I think about it, they are just a bunch of rock and rivers, looking myself from top to bottom, it only seem my sincerity (true heart) are worth something. Do you want it? Take it.” (I believe this is the point that KunLun realized that he fell in love with the Young Lord of Ghost)

Later, KunLun told him to keep his soul fire and gifted him his ‘muscle bone’ which represented his god’s power of the mountains. He injected it into the Young Lord of Ghost and told him, “Now my hundred thousands of mountains are under your command and you are now a half god and half ghost, who can travel freely throughout three realms, I won’t restraint you anymore.” Young Lord of Ghost said he will not leave, he wanted to stay with KunLun but KunLun said his time is up, he will perish soon.

As a result, Young Lord of Ghost sneakily attacked KunLun and restrained his soul/spirit. He brought him down to the underworld and begged the other god who created reincarnation to let KunLun reincarnate as human. In order to do that, the god needs to seal away all of KunLun’s god status/power and turn him into a human for him to enter the reincarnation cycle. In exchange, he made a pact with the Young Lord of Ghost. The Young Lord of Ghost will take on the responsibility of guarding the “Land of Disrespectful” and make sure the seal is intact. If one day, the seal is broken, the Young Lord of Ghost needs to sacrifice himself to reseal it. In addition, he can never meet KunLun in all of his lifetime, if he break that promise and see him, KunLun will be consume by his darkness and forever perish...

In the end, for five thousand years, SW became the soul-slayer, with the heavy responsibility of preserving peace and keeping the seal intact while watching KunLun afar for each and every single lifetime….until this lifetime as ZYL where some unknown force caused them to finally met.

That’s all for now…Please forgive me for any typo and grammar issue lol :D

Wow what a long story. Thanks for taking the time to type here. Your hard work deserve a Toast! (But in the ending I mean this lifetime are they together?) Because if the seal is broken as you said the other have to die to sacrifice for reseal it?? How anyone have any further details?? 

30 minutes ago, cherylrose said:

Wow what a long story. Thanks for taking the time to type here. Your hard work deserve a Toast! (But in the ending I mean this lifetime are they together?) Because if the seal is broken as you said the other have to die to sacrifice for reseal it?? How anyone have any further details?? 

Yeah . i also have the same question . wondeirng how they could get away together in the end? :)  please enlighten us thanks ^_^

@BreezeC you are a champion. millions millions of thanks for your hard work and translations, excellent work!

As of Episode 33 SW is seriously injured I can see even ZYL wanted to go home rest/sleep but SW is unable to walk further but to rest on the bench. Only ZYL doesn't notice SW was unable to walk further, ZYL thinks SW just wanted to sit on the bench but doesn't know SW is unable to walk... I really hope the ending isn't like First ending of "Uncontrolled Love" until have to make a happy ending. I hope Zhen Hun drama will have a happy ending. 

Anyone have the video when SW was carrying a basketball and then both of them singing a song. I can't find on YouTube because I can't read Chinese wording (I only know hearing Chinese). If anyone have it please post here. 

1 hour ago, BreezeC said:

As promised @dzareth

Thank you, @BreezeC!!! You are a darling :kiss_wink:!

Actually, reading that backstory made me feel sad 

Spoiler

Young ghost king (SW) was very innocent, wasn't he? And how cruel was his fate :tears:. Was what he did (pushing KL into the reincarnation cycle) wrong? So his role as guard of the underworld is a price, not a sentence?

45 minutes ago, dzareth said:

Thank you, @BreezeC!!! You are a darling :kiss_wink:!

Actually, reading that backstory made me feel sad 

Hide contents

Young ghost king (SW) was very innocent, wasn't he? And how cruel was his fate :tears:. Was what he did (pushing KL into the reincarnation cycle) wrong? So his role as guard of the underworld is a price, not a sentence?

I don't think anyone can sentence Half-God and Half-Ghost. And also is there any explanation if ZYL wants to meet SW or desire the punishment is ZYL have to consume SW darkness, but as of current time ZYL and SW they meet and the storyline any changes?? (Mystery, will there be a Season 2 for Zhen Hun anyone knows??) 

Anyone knows who is the BL top and who is Bottom? (I heard someone here previous pages posted ZYL is a bottom; anyone can verify this?) But recent posts ZYL mention to SW that ZYL calling himself as a husband... Anyone can explain who is Top And who is bottom in the novel? /drama? 

1 hour ago, cherylrose said:

Anyone have the video when SW was carrying a basketball and then both of them singing a song. I can't find on YouTube because I can't read Chinese wording (I only know hearing Chinese). If anyone have it please post here. 

And this is the full version:

I've just watched AvenueX's review on YT and I agree with many parts of her views. Guardian, despite it's many faults has managed to capture the support of mainstream viewers hugely due to performances of the 2 main leads. Guardian introduced me to Zhu Yilong, who really impressed me with his microexpressions (since I'm unfamiliar with his works, I thought he was a newbie. This is probably his biggest role to date and I applaud the production team who decided him as SW. While he does seem to have a face suitable for costume/ period drama, I would love to see more works from him in the contemporary setting. I'd like to see him in a darker role in the future. It doesn't have to be a villainous role but something with a dark edge - like Mei Chang Su (NiF). We are witness of his ability to pull a menacing face seconds after looking happy and glee.

I knew Bai Yu from Love O2O (movie and TV drama) but his godawful hairdo really put me off. Due to Guardian I traced some of his other works and was pleasantly surprised by his versatile roles. Memory Lost (despite the ridiculous storyline) made me realise he is quite an attractive guy. I'm not too worried about him as he has proven his versatility. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the two lead haven't reached A-list actor status yet and I don't know how Guardian will impact their career since it's a cheap production. I wish the best to both as I think they give really mature performances and I think they are much better than idol actors.

On another note, their actual personalities seem similar to their screen personalities. Bai Yu appears to be more playful and friendly while Zhu Yilong looks more reserved/ shy. I also thought it is cute when BY refers him as Long-ge...

Archived