[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Guardian 镇魂

sugarplum892

What is the difference between BL and bromance? I assume bromance will not have M-to-M intimate scenes including kissing, but would they be clearly suggestive? Going through the robotic translations, I'm really intrigued with the story, but it's difficult to understand the fantasy elements as they were also adapted from mythical Chinese contents. I wouldn't mind either ZYL or SW be changed into a female form if the integrity of the story can stay intact.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dzareth said:

What is the difference between BL and bromance? I assume bromance will not have M-to-M intimate scenes including kissing, but would they be clearly suggestive? Going through the robotic translations, I'm really intrigued with the story, but it's difficult to understand the fantasy elements as they were also adapted from mythical Chinese contents. I wouldn't mind either ZYL or SW be changed into a female form if the integrity of the story can stay intact.

Spoiler

From wiki :

"A bromance is a close but non-sexual relationship between two or more men.......exceeding that of usual friendship, and is distinguished by a particularly high level of emotional intimacy."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromance

Some ways of making it "hot" in bromance....are like accidental kisses (eg one fell down on top of another)....or a female char imagining some hot scenes btw the guys. I mean viewers' own imagination play a part to it.

Of course the male chars would seem to show such concern which seems more than normal friends would do. 

BL or Boys love....relates to japanese term Yaoi..."focusing on romantic or sexual relationships between male characters...."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaoi

So there are some novels are originally BL, the chars in the novels do express love for each other....but when adapted to screen, they cut off or tone down those parts....and it becomes more of bromance. If the actors do act well and the plots still flow smoothly, then it's good. Else u get some dramas who feel awkward.

hi everyone. I came upon this drama while I was surfing around. 

I have watched Evil Minds s1 and s2, Memory Lost and Dare if you love me; and their dramas as equally good as Korean dramas. 

I have watched Eng Sub up to ep3 so I am trying to wait patiently for the next sub episodes. 

This drama is soo good that I couldn't help having peeks at the raw episodes

Thank you @Cedric Ong

To me, bromance sounds so chaste/ platonic. Without sexual attraction. Basically - friendship. So calling Guardian a bromance drama basically shaved off the attraction aspect of the ZYL-SW relationship. I don't know how much BL has to be toned down to make the Chinese censorship requirements, but from the novel there is a lot of angst, guilt, longing and these has been nicely portrayed by Zhu yiling. But the TV ZYL is not portraying the emotions of the novel ZYL, who seems to be equally tortured by his past ties with SW, whether he knows/ remembers the full story or not. So for now things appear to be one sided IMHO.

I guess my original confusion is how much BL has to be toned down to pass Chinese censorship and how much "affection" do they allow to call a show bromance. Whenever someone says bromance, the show that comes to my mind are like Lord of the Rings, Avengers, Justice Bao and any show that typically portray strong male camaraderie.

Guardian has gone way over bromance with the acting. But because China won't allow explicit showing of ZYL-SW relationship as per novel, I wonder if they would allow implicit showing of the nature of the relationship. I would still be willing to watch the show without intimate scenes and I will still call it a BL drama rather than a bromance drama.

18 hours ago, dzareth said:

I guess my original confusion is how much BL has to be toned down to pass Chinese censorship and how much "affection" do they allow to call a show bromance. Whenever someone says bromance, the show that comes to my mind are like Lord of the Rings, Avengers, Justice Bao and any show that typically portray strong male camaraderie.

Guardian has gone way over bromance with the acting. But because China won't allow explicit showing of ZYL-SW relationship as per novel, I wonder if they would allow implicit showing of the nature of the relationship. I would still be willing to watch the show without intimate scenes and I will still call it a BL drama rather than a bromance drama.

I couldn't even pass this post without replying that I agree 100% with what you said, you can't just call it Bromance and compare it to Avengers, simply different level...

Sometimes CP fans like to see things more than close friends...well at least it looks so sweet....it is abit like an extension from their chars. 

There are plenty of cuts or animated gifs from fans' weibo like below :

Why not just pass over the loudspeaker...instead still hold on and one hand cover the other....and why are u smiling so sweetly...haha.

006AKSYyly1fswl0qu18rg30qo0f0b2n.gif

006AKSYyly1fswkx7cyprg30qo0f0qve.gif

There are several interviews or chat sessions with the 2 leads. 

One latest one (on mango tv) where they drew each other....while one drew a proper pic of the other (left)....the other drew something like a long haired caveman with label "the most handsome ape on this mountain".

006pmSyBgy1fswmhspn83j31360lz4eg.jpg

Not sure yet...but if i came across the full version...esp with eng sub...will update.

I wonder why this drama is not hot with Soompi-ers. Despite the low budget, this drama is good in terms of plot, OST, and actors. Besides the two main chars, other actors/actresses are really good as well. 

P/S: If anyone would like to work with me to translate all of Zhu Yi Long and Baiyu interview/live stream, please let me know. I'm not a native Chinese speaker but I can understand 80% of the interviews. 

熊 (@phareFlNQ6p4ylO) Tweeted:

云澜do you take 沈巍 for your lawful wedded husband, to live together after God’s ordinance, in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love, honor, comfort, and cherish him from this day forward, forsaking all others, keeping only unto him for as long as you both shall live?#镇魂 https://t.co/SVGoofRwKW

TTF (@TiantianF) Tweeted:

#镇魂 #Guardian #赵云澜 #ZhaoYunlan #沈巍 #ShenWei #白宇 #BaiYu #朱一龙 #ZhuYilong

After the chaos on the wedding.

Z: What is it?

S: Did I bring you into trouble?

Z: If you’re a trouble, you’re welcome to bring me a few more dozens to trouble the rest of my life. https://t.co/WShsdnOfTW

Wunmai (@YipSukHar) Tweeted:

#镇魂 #鎮魂 #Guardian #白宇 #朱一龙 #巍澜 #巍澜CP

Because of you!Don't you know?

Your top has been looking for you for ten thousand years!

Everything is because of you!

How you can laugh!

Hum! ️ https://t.co/SElvPnjkJz

Lareanqu (@lareanqu) Tweeted:

#镇魂 

hope u love them!!! https://t.co/36tspBqejT

TTF (@TiantianF) Tweeted:

#镇魂 #Guardian #zhenhun #朱一龙 #zhuyilong #沈巍 #shenwei #白宇 #baiyu #赵云澜 #zhaoyunlan

Zhao Yunlan freaked out when he found the he was fed with Shen Wei’s blood. To make sure he will be healed from the black power erosion, Shen Wei cut himself. https://t.co/W2Z0iyrcde

@ nerjaveika   Wow!!!! Those MVs are amazing... Love all the minor details you captured and the first one is hilarious! Hahahahaha!!!! 

@dzareth  For someone who just started on the novel and is only 1/4 through, I agree with your assessment. Zhu Yi Long nailed SW to the T. When I am reading the novel, I can completely feel and see SW's character as Zhu Yi Long. I have a weird habit that whenever I read novel, I imagine their characters as animated characters because no real person can fit those role even if it was already adapted to drama but.... boy, Zhu Yi Long is exactly Professor SW!!! All those feelings and emotion, he portrayed it with perfection on screen. 

As for Bai Yu, I love his portrayal of ZYL but a layer was stripped from the character in the novel and mostly I think to remove the BL quality from it. In the novel, ZYL is very attracted to SW whether it is his look or his personality but in the drama, Bai Yu portrayed it more as bromance. But still their chemistry is off the chart lol I have became a fan girl for these two! Hehehe

Archived